PDA

View Full Version : Cloak Spelll [Feat/Metamagic]

Dhavaer
2006-11-01, 04:40 PM
Cloak Spell

Benefit: A cloaked spell is undetectable by Detect Magic, Arcane Sight, or Greater Arcane Sight. This applies both before and after the spell has been cast, so if your highest level spell is a cloaked one, Arcane Sight may underestimate the power of your spellcasting.
Arcane Sight may make a caster level check (DC 20+your caster level) to detect a cloaked spell. Bonuses to penetrating spell resistance apply to this check. Greater Arcane Sight can do the same, but the DC is only 15+caster level.
A cloaked spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than normal.

Toxic Avenger
2006-11-01, 05:14 PM
What is the spell level adjustment for a cloaked spell?

Dhavaer
2006-11-01, 05:17 PM
Dammit, I missed that. I was thinking +1.

fangthane
2006-11-01, 05:29 PM
Does it protect the cloaked spell or slot from other effects such as Arcane Ooze's drains or other effects (other than levels or stat drains which obviously have normal effects on castable levels and numbers of spells)?

What about sorcs and bards (and other spontaneous casters)? Do they take it up the hoop on this one, or do they treat all uncast spells as cloaked, or somewhere in between? In any case, as a metamagic feat I assume any such spell takes the standard full round to accomplish for a spontaneous caster so I'd tend to think this shifts things heavily in favour of Mr. Wizard and the Cleric.

It just strikes me that this feat, without at least a corresponding feat or a similarly-powered effect for spontaneous casters, unfairly adds emphasis to prep-casters. Not that it necessarily affects things contrary to your desires, but it's something of which you should be aware.

Dhavaer
2006-11-01, 05:32 PM
Pre-casting metamagic just doesn't work for spontaneous casters. Possibly a feat to let them make a Bluff check to alter the reading of an arcane sight spell?

And I don't have access to arcane ooze, so I have no idea of its effects.

fangthane
2006-11-01, 05:42 PM
Ahh, well that guy has a special trick... Any arcane caster within 30 feet (think it's 30, might be 50 or 60) makes a fort save or loses their highest prepped spell or slot (depending on cast type) at the beginning of each turn, also granting the critter +5 hp per spell level absorbed. Something like this has the potential to "mask" a 6th-level slot and potentially reduce the highest "drainable" spell to 5th, or may have no effect on the drain ability, depending on your call. As to spontaneous casters, as long as you have an idea of what sort of thing would be relatively balanced in terms of providing them a greater benefit to a similar degree as prep casters get from this one, it should be good. It's just that most metamagic is still valuable but there's that full-round tradeoff to consider - while this feat is potentially neat-o for prep casters and there's no question that a spontaneous caster wouldn't ever want it. Not a strong quibble, I admit, but it's there. :)

Dhavaer
2006-11-01, 05:46 PM
Assuming the ooze is non-intelligent, and so its draining ability runs on automatic, the feat would have no effect.

Triaxx
2006-11-02, 10:15 AM
What's the check for detect magic? The same as Arcane Sight?

fangthane
2006-11-02, 02:56 PM
Mmm, it's intelligent but the ability itself is an automatic thing, so I guess with that in mind it wouldn't be affected by the feat; in that case, at least the feat's not invalidating critter attack types so may not be as favourable to prep casters as I'd thought it might be.

Dhavaer
2006-11-02, 04:24 PM
What's the check for detect magic? The same as Arcane Sight?

Autofail. Detect Magic can't pierce it.

Fizban
2006-11-02, 11:57 PM
I like it, I'd even go so far as to increase the level increase to +2 and make it undetectable to anything except analyze dweomer+CL check, but that's just cause I like the idea of cloaking a bunch of spells.

How about a feat that lets you duck your spells under dispelling, followed by one that beats anti-magic (the final at high cost of course)?