PDA

View Full Version : The Big Lock Up IC

GodGoblin
2013-01-04, 07:38 AM
The stench of filth hits you as you awake, tattered rags cling to grime of your bodies as you find yourself once again in a cell crammed in with three other prisoners, its been this way for four weeks.

You are on the prison ship The Oathbreakers Folly, by now you have gotten used to the sway of the waves and the sea sickness has all but stopped. Your frames are weak and malnourished as food only comes in the form of a weak gruel paste and that only comes once every three days.

The weather is slowly getting colder, you do not know where in the world you are but the weather is a far cry from the temperate lands you left, your close confinement is your only and welcomed source of warmth.

From your boarding of the ship you know it consists of 3 layers and you are kept on the very lowest, iron bars seperate your corner of the ship from the rest leaving you to look down the ship as Gral the jailer comes hobbling up towards you carrying a bowl of slop.

Garl is a fat, abrasive man who enjoys the small things in life like spilling the prisoners food and stepping on fingers that stray to close to the bars.

He arrives at the bars and slides a half empty bowl of slop underneath "Feeding time again, you filthy dogs." he cackles as he kicks the bars before turning to hobble away.

Dragon Overlord
2013-01-04, 08:20 AM
Jonn picks up the bucket. Experience and hunger have made him not too choosy but senibility still makes him look inside to make sure there is not broken bottle bits in there again.

He swirls it around and, seeing nothing too dangerous, he tips the bucket up and pours a fourth of it into his mouth. He shudders a bit.

Not as bad as last time, he says, passing the bucket to the next set of waiting hands.

Finkmilkana
2013-01-04, 09:03 AM
Getting the bucked Learln first speaks a short prayer before eating his part and handing the bucket to the next in line.

Purify Food and Drink on the gruel

Poison_Fish
2013-01-04, 03:33 PM
Jaliv winces as the others eat the slop. "You know, even primitive cultures ate better then this. An actual gruel from oats would be healthy, nutritious, and keep you belly warm as it sticks to you. This!" She sticks her finger in to collect the goop and holds her hand up to what little light they have "This is clearly some sort of slime derivative."

She eats her fill after her short rant, and then passes it on. She lays back down on the floor, for it is foul tasting and makes her feel sick.

Dragon Overlord
2013-01-06, 07:00 AM
Jonn sighs quietly to himself as Jaliv complains. Somebody doesn’t know what it is like to be really hungry he thinks to himself. At least Learln is grateful enough to give thanks for what he gets.

Once again he looks at the walls, bars and doors of the tiny cage. Where are they the weakest?

Spot +4, Search +2, Craft (blacksmith) +8, Appraise +2
I’ll take 20 on these rolls, because I have nothing but time.
(I'm not actively trying to escape, I'm just looking at every bolt and hinge, looking for which ones seem the loosest or worst made.)

GodGoblin
2013-01-07, 08:04 AM
The purify spell cleanses the gruel of any harmful elements, its probably the only only reason you have survived this long without disease or sickness.

John again wanders around the cage looking for weak spots in the structure as he has done for most days that you have been there. Sadly nothing has changed, its a very well secured section. You assume the weakest parts would be the wood compared to the iron bars but from where you are you can only guess at its thickness.

Another day goes by without anything of interest. Its getting late, the light through the port hole is fading as you hear the wind howling and the waves begin to thrash against the side of the ship. A storm is brewing.

Finkmilkana
2013-01-07, 08:28 AM
Learln doesn't say much for the whole time and when he does he actually seems to speak more to himself that to anyone else.
When spoken to, his answers come very slow, as if he first has to remember how to properly pronounce certain words.

niw18
2013-01-07, 07:37 PM
Verth had taken the bowel and prayed thanks to Io bit nervously as him praying usually got the other prisoners to beat him up due to fact he did not speak common. He even had found looking piece of wood that was right shape to be used as a club to defend against attackers. Verth would eat fill his fill and then pass bowl to the next person. He would stay off by himself watching and waiting as to heal those that got hurt as it was his oath to do.

Dragon Overlord
2013-01-08, 01:37 AM
Jonn picks up the bucket and scrapes out any scraps that the others have left.

(His honor won't let him take any more than the others get, even though he is much bigger.)

Poison_Fish
2013-01-08, 03:47 AM
As the waves batter the ship, Jaliv looks around nervously. "So, anyone think we are more likely to drown in this hell hole before we reach the supposedly worse hell hole?" she lays down, feeling even more sick from all the rocking back and forth. "Maybe it won't shake as much?"

GodGoblin
2013-01-10, 05:53 AM
Night soon arrives, the smashing of the waves against the ships hull and the shouts of the crewmen trying to keep her afloat do not make it easy to find rest but eventually you all one by one drift off to sleep...

Suddenly a loud crack wakes you, at first you think it may be the wood of the ship snapping but it happens again and again, accompanied by bright flashes of light. You soon realise the sound is lightning striking in the sky above. The ship is swaying wildly, crashing up and down from the decks above you hear panicked shouts and the sound of men desperately trying to keep the ship under control.

Learln Ainur'elen-
You think that this sounds different to the usual sounds the sailors make when controlling the ship, you hear the sound of metal on metal and pained cries of the sailors above

Verth-
The last bout of thunder almost sounded like a roar or shout from a creature, the more you ponder it you believe it may have been a word, it wasnt in Draconic but certainly sounded similar.

Dragon Overlord
2013-01-10, 06:17 AM
I don't want to drown like a rat in a hole. Jonn thinks.

Jonn finds the place where he thinks the wood looks weakest, braces his back against the far wall and his feet against the weak spot. He then starts to push with his legs. (If any guards come, which I doubt, it should look like he is just bracing himself from the crashing waves.)

Pure strength check [roll0]
(Circumstance bonus for looking before?)

Finkmilkana
2013-01-10, 06:30 AM
Learln looks up from where he was sitting, speaking slowly
"Hmm, it sounds like death is in the air."
He makes a break as if thinking for words.
"But, as few pities as I have for our, uhm, jailers, I fear their doom could also spell ours."

Poison_Fish
2013-01-10, 02:14 PM
Jaliv observes the half giant pressuring the wall. She rolls on up to get a better look, but keeps some of her distance in case they all go tumbling and someone comes flying at her.

"I could.. put a little bit of acid there if you think it'll get us out. Being down here means water comes drowning us first. Wouldn't we all like to avoid that?" she addresses her fellow cellmates.

Dragon Overlord
2013-01-15, 06:57 AM
Jonn looks at Jaliv a bit doubtfully. How strong is it? 'Cause I'm guessing it would eat through the leather of my boots before it eats through the wood.

Let me give one more push and if nothing happens, let it fly.

Strength [roll0]

OOC
I guess I could take 20 on this, just push and push until it moves...

GodGoblin
2013-01-15, 08:17 AM
The wood of the cell has been reinforced to resist tampering, the wall creaks but little else.

Sounds of crashing and shouts continue to come from above, the storm cracks and roars even m ore violently than before.

Verth and John:
Be it due to your knowledge of smithing or your peoples natural disposition towards small mechanisms and traps you believe the small components within the lock would be the most susceptible to the acid out of your available options.

niw18
2013-01-15, 12:31 PM
Verth heard the sound and did look up and tried to figure it out it was a word as it was not normal sound but what could it be and sit their trying to figure it out. It was to him almost a bastardized draconic word but what could it be and would think on it and look to the others and noticed that they were on the edge besides the motion sickness this was nothing at all but like being at home treating miners.

He noticed the bulky elf as he spoke then the human and sighed as it seemed they starting to be effected by the condition they find them self in as he did not understand what their words mean but by the tone it panic and despair which was not good. verth would just watch as the bulky elf push against the cell he could not communicate to them but he noticed it was still strong and would get up and point to the lock as it was properly easiest to tamper with then to jonh hoping he got to what he was getting at since he did not speak their tongue .

Dragon Overlord
2013-01-15, 07:07 PM
Jonn grunts one last time and gives up. The cell is too well built. Getting the door open was the only way out, but the lock was a fairly good one. Jonn knew the theory behind lock making, but he had never been good with all those fiddly little pieces.

The only weak point I see is the lock, but I’m not good at getting them open. Can anyone to that? He turns to Jaliv, Can your acid eat though small metal bits?

Poison_Fish
2013-01-15, 07:56 PM
"Quite possibly! But if it melts the small metal bits incorrectly, it could leave us all trapped in here! If any of you do not see another easier way out, I'm ready to try my luck."

Dragon Overlord
2013-01-15, 08:22 PM
Jonn Heimrich

I’m worried about the same thing. If it goes wrong, even the key won’t be able to open the lock. But I’ve got no better idea other than trying to kick the door down. The hinges are well built and the walls are solid.

Jonn notices the kobold pointing at the lock. Looks like that’s three of us thinking the same thing. I’d say go for it.

GodGoblin
2013-01-16, 05:21 AM
The ship once again jolts violently and crashes down into the waves, the sound of water surrounds you as its pours over the top of the ship.

John:
If the acid is cast onto the lock you think it may be weakened enough that a swift kick from you may break the corroded locking bar.

Poison_Fish
2013-01-16, 01:55 PM
Jaliv takes her time to concentrate and throws an acid splash into the lock.

OOC If I can take 10 or 20 I'd certainly do so, but in case not. [roll0]
[roll1]

GodGoblin
2013-01-17, 04:57 AM
The Acid hits the lock and seeps into the key hole, as the sound of corroding metal sizzles John throws his huge bulk into the door with all the strength he can muster.

The mechanism snaps and the door flings open sending John staggering into the room, the door now wide open.

Your cage was situated at the very back of the ship, the room stretches out before you the entire run of the deck with a flight of steps at the far end. The room is lined with nondescript boxes, barrels and sacks.

Due to the mistreatment and lack of decent food or water you are all currently fatigued.

Fatigued
A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.

John once regaining his balance goes straight for crate to see if there is anything of use, ripping off the lid he thrusts his hand into it and pulls out a fistful of dried meats, stuffing them into his mouth he says somewhat muffled "Food!"

Finkmilkana
2013-01-17, 07:59 AM
Learln also goes to the foodbox and takes some meat, purifies it with a prayer and eats it. Not knowing what lies ahead he doesn't eat to much though, as the one thing worse than swimming with empty stomach is swimming with a overfilled stomach no longer used to that much work.
"Don't eat to much, we might have to fight or, er, swim soon. Maybe both."

niw18
2013-01-19, 12:04 PM
He had watched as the acid eats away at the metal of the lock and the big bulky elf using bulk to go through the cage and then followed as he was finally free. He had noticed the food and walked to it and sniffed it and eat his share while looking to his fellow prisoners he did not completely understand them but knew in general they should only eat till body says full not till think their full.

He would eat his share and found a pot and cast his create water magic and filled it with fresh water to drink and drank some before offering some to the others. He would look around searching for anything to make into make shift weapons for them in case they had to fight.

search roll

[roll0]

Poison_Fish
2013-01-20, 02:43 PM
Jaliv eats some of the food and drinks some of the magic water. "Thanks you guys, couldn't have a better meal without you all!"

GodGoblin
2013-01-21, 04:39 AM
The food and fresh water gives you all a much needed boost, both physically and to morale, the harshness of the last few weeks start to fade from memory as your stomachs finally feel full.
Half the fatigue penalties to -1!

Verth rummages through the spare barrels and chests in search of a weapon or anything of use, everything is unlocked and opens freely. The items you find of note are-
3x Nets
50ft Hempen rope
6x medium sized fur cloaks
1x Flint and steel
13x Crossbow bolts
1x Dagger
2x Flasks of oil
1x Simple lantern
2x Grappling hook

Atop one of the barrels you all notice a small metal and wood box about 4 inches square and 1 inch deep, delicate filigreeing covers its surface and a small key hole is on the front. It is locked.

Dragon Overlord
2013-01-21, 06:11 AM
Jonn takes one of the cloaks and spreads it out, then piles some of the food and other equipment in the center.
Verth found the items first and so he would get first pick, of course. I would put food, the flint and steel, 4 bolts, the oil, the lantern, and one grappling hook on the cloak. If no one objected, I would wrap that up, but if someone else obviously wanted something, I would give it to them.
I’m a pretty good swimmer. I think I can handle that much. Jonn folds the cloak around the items and uses one of the nets and some rope to tie it firmly around his back where it wouldn’t shift or get in his way when he has to move or swim.

I’ll take 20 on my Use Rope (+1). I don’t want the rope to slip and get in my way in a battle or while swimming. I also want to be able to get out of the harness fairly quickly if I need to. Ship’s carpenter’s tools must be on the deck above us. That should have some more useful items.

Finkmilkana
2013-01-21, 08:56 AM
"Take some rope with you, so you can fixated yourself to floating wreckage should the ship go down.
Learln takes one of the cloaks and enough rope to able to do what he just advised. He also takes one of the grappling hooks and attaches it to his rope.
Should no one else take it he'll also take the small box.

Poison_Fish
2013-01-22, 06:09 PM
"I'm not great with any of that and I am a poor swimmer. But that's a good idea!" Jaliv takes a cloak and wraps it warmly around her along with carrying a small amount of rope, enough to tie her to some potential flotsam.

Dragon Overlord
2013-01-23, 02:50 AM
After everyone has taken what they want of the equipment first and he has tied his backpack securely on his back, Jonn walks over to the stairs.

Are you guys ready to go up another level? He asks. Probably everyone is on the top deck but we should still go fast.

niw18
2013-01-27, 01:21 PM
he would take what he needed a net dagger and whatever left over and followed john to the steps and nodded to him as he looks to the others hoping they were ready and ready himself as he was sure going to be few pitched battles as made their way up from the crew. He had faith that it should be nothing this group cannot handle but he was not very keen on idea of swimming as their a lot things in water that sees him as easy prey compared to rest of his fellow prisoners.