PDA

View Full Version : The Professional (Class)

Cipher Stars
2013-01-06, 04:53 PM
The Expert, reworked to be nicer and potentially suitable for a PC. Time taken: 5 minutes.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Jack of all Trades, Skill Pro

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3| Bonus Feat

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Skill Pro

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Skill Pro, Easy Skill

6th|
+6/1|
+2|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat

7th|
+7/2|
+2|
+5|
+5|Skill Pro

8th|
+8/3|
+2|
+6|
+6|Bonus Feat

9th|
+9/4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Skill Pro, Easy Skill

10th|
+10/5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Bonus Feat

11th|
+11/6/1|
+3|
+7|
+7| Skill Pro

12th|
+12/7/2|
+3|
+8|
+8|Bonus Feat

13th|
+13/8/3|
+4|
+8|
+8|Skill Pro, Easy Skill

14th|
+14/9/4|
+4|
+9|
+9|Bonus Feat

15th|
+15/10/5|
+4|
+9|
+9|Skill Pro

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+5|
+10|
+10|Bonus Feat

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Skill Pro, Easy Skill

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+6|
+11|
+11|Bonus Feat

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Skill Pro

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Master of all Trades[/table]

Hit Die
d8.

Class Skills
The professional can choose any ten skills to be class skills, and a number of extra skills as class skills equal to your intelligence modifier +1/4th class levels.

Skill Points at 1st Level
(10 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
10 + Int modifier.

Class Features
The following is a class feature of the professional class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
The professional is proficient in the use of all simple weapons and with light armor but not shields.

Jack of all Trades (Ex):
The Professional can use any skill untrained as though she had five ranks in it.
If the professional levels away from this class this benefit lasts only a number of levels equal to your own levels of professional taken consecutively, two levels of professional having this feature last for two other levels multiclassed away from professional. After which time this benefit becomes only 1 rank and she can use any skill as though trained. If the skill does not benefit from ranks, this ability has no effect (Such as speak language).

Skill Pro (Ex):
Choose one skill the Professional has at least one rank in. That skill can now have a maximum ranks invested equal to twice your professional levels as opposed to level+3, whichever is higher. The Professional may also gain two ranks per skill point in that skill. Skill Pro only functions on professional levels. If multiclassed away from professional, you cannot gain any more ranks in that skill until it equals level+3, and spend skill points for rank as normal.

Bonus Feats:
The professional can gain any feat that provides an increase to any skill as a bonus feat. A professional with it's level in spellcraft or knowledge: Arcana ranks can gain a metamagic feat as a bonus feat as well. Likewise, any type of feat with a skill sufficiently tied to it's genre, as spellcraft is to metamagic, can be taken as a bonus feat with at least a number of ranks equal to your class levels. Further example would be Psicraft pr autohypnosis for psionics. What skill constitutes acceptance for a type of feat is determined or to be approved by the DM.

Easy Skill(Ex):
The professional can choose to take ten even if the situation would not normally allow it, or the skill does not normally allow the option to take ten. Choose one skill, you can choose to take twenty in that skill when you would normally take ten, so long as it is not an immediate skill (Such as using Iajutsu Focus).

Master of all Trades (Ex):
The professional can use any skill untrained as though she had a number of ranks equal to her class levels.

Arcanist
2013-01-06, 04:59 PM
This class actually made me wonder why NPC classes are better then the Fighter? :smalltongue:

Edit: I'm sorry, but looking this over made me consider the power of having an automatic 20 in Iajutsu, UMD, UPD, Diplomacy, Intimidate, etc. As being... hmmm... Well! A wee bit over the edge :smallredface:

Grod_The_Giant
2013-01-06, 05:20 PM
Well that's just about the prettiest 1-level dip I ever did see. Let's see...

Step 1: Break Diplomacy
Step 2: Abuse UMD/UPD
Step 3: Abuse Iajutsu Focus
Step 4: ???
Step 5: DM cries

On the plus side, you just added a 1-level dip for Truenamers that lets their class function (ish).

If nothing else, Skill Pro should be based on your Expert level, not your general level-- maybe letting you invest extra ranks up to your Expert level.

You might also consider an ability to let them take 10 on a skill under any circumstance.

Also, why the full BAB? I'd drop that to medium.

Cipher Stars
2013-01-06, 05:22 PM
If nothing else, Skill Pro should be based on your Expert level, not your general level-- maybe letting you invest extra ranks up to your Expert level.

You might also consider an ability to let them take 10 on a skill under any circumstance.

Such is as intended, though apparently not what comes across..

Mm.. 5th level ability perhaps. With something playing with take 20 at 15th level.

Sacrieur
2013-01-06, 06:38 PM
Sounds like a great way to abuse ToB classes :D

Cipher Stars
2013-01-08, 03:38 PM
I've just noticed that this Professional can make an excellent fighter replacement with the full BaB, it's bonus feats can be used for fighter bonus feats if they have their level in ranks of a fighting-related skill. Then they could also take other feats instead, beyond just fighter bonus feats.
Though I can't really reduce the full BaB, because that's it's only combat advantage... well, they could put points in Iajutsu Focus if they can... still.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-01-08, 03:46 PM
You can still function OK with a medium BAB-- see the Factotum, Swordsage, or Psionic Warrior. That goes better with the d6 HD, too. (The latter being the real limiting factor when it comes to combat)

Cipher Stars
2013-01-08, 04:04 PM
You can still function OK with a medium BAB-- see the Factotum, Swordsage, or Psionic Warrior. That goes better with the d6 HD, too. (The latter being the real limiting factor when it comes to combat)

They aren't supposed to simply function OK though... And wouldn't the full BAB be even more important to compensate for d6 :smallconfused:

Grod_The_Giant
2013-01-08, 04:19 PM
They aren't supposed to simply function OK though... And wouldn't the full BAB be even more important to compensate for d6 :smallconfused:

You can hit just fine with a medium BAB, was my point-- you lose out a bit on the iteratives, but attack bonuses scale much faster than BAB. Meanwhile, a low hit die never really gets better, and a d6 is pretty darn small.

Cipher Stars
2013-01-08, 04:24 PM
You can hit just fine with a medium BAB, was my point-- you lose out a bit on the iteratives, but attack bonuses scale much faster than BAB. Meanwhile, a low hit die never really gets better, and a d6 is pretty darn small.

So...
I should change BaB to 3/4ths and give them a d12 HD, or just change HD to d8 perhaps..?

Sacrieur
2013-01-08, 04:42 PM
If you keep the BAB the same and just raise it up to a d8 it'll be more favorable to multiclassed fighters. If you change the BAB and raise the HD to a d12, it'll be more favorable to multiclassed magic types.

But, there's the issue of d12 not really fitting with the class, even fighters don't go that high. I say go with the d8.

Cipher Stars
2013-01-08, 04:43 PM
Changed to d8.