PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Silverbrow Half-Elf

Twilightwyrm
2013-01-07, 03:32 AM
Hello playground, I was looking for some help designing a minor variant on and Silverbrow Human. It occurred to me, having read Dragon Magic's dragon-blooded races a number of times, that while Forestlord Half-Elves and Deepwyrm Half-Drow exist, Silverbrow Half-Elves do not. Now, for many this is not much of a loss: Half-Elves are, for understandable reasons, not a particularly popular choice of race (in 3.0 and 3.5 at least), but I figure such a variation deserves a mention, if only as a further precedent for creating such dragon-blooded variant races (an idea, which you might be able to tell, is of interest of me).
I am however, having difficulty deciding on what bonuses it should lose, what, if any, it should gain, in order to more closely resemble the other dragon-blooded races it is supposed to mirror. Specifically, Feather Fall, as a spell-like ability usable once per day, strikes me as much less powerful than Treewalk, and as such I'm not convinced the already racial feature strapped half-elf is in need of having as many of them lost to gain it as the Forestloard variant does. So, I could use some ideas and suggestions as to how this should look, because beyond perhaps losing the +2 to Gather Information, and gaining a +2 to Disguise instead, I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

Frathe
2013-01-07, 03:52 AM
Maybe their feather fall could be replaced with the more powerful fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fly.htm).

Twilightwyrm
2013-01-07, 04:52 AM
Maybe their feather fall could be replaced with the more powerful fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fly.htm).
I had considered something like that, and only really left it alone because, thus far, Silverbrow Elves with the ability don't exist. Thus far, the "Half-Elf" versions of dragon-blood races have just been borrowing from their counterparts, and I was hoping to keep that precedent...for now. So while would be a great way to give the Half-Elf a much needed unique racial advantage, I'm a bit...hesitant about opting for that approach just yet. (The main reason being, convincing DMs to allow a minor variation tends to work better than trying to convince them allow a major one).