PDA

View Full Version : Emotion Based Elementals.

artofregicide
2013-01-08, 02:05 AM
For a specific setting, I'm trying to Homebrew a new type of elementals, not based on core elements, but on types of emotions.

Each elemental would represent a primary emotion (Love, Hate, Despair, Hope, Joy, Sadness, Anger, Calm, etc...)

Theoretically Hybrids of these emotions would exist, to cover the full range of emotions.

These elementals would primarily serve the same role as classic elementals combat wise, but with some twists.

I see them relying heavily on enchantment type spells (Rage, Crushing Despair, Charm, etc)

Their appearance and attitude would reflect their element: Anger elementals might be wreathed in flames and always looking for a fight, whereas Calm elementals would be tranquil, pastel colored and rarely mobile.

This all said, positive emotion elementals are not necessarily "good" nor negative ones "bad". Both can be harmful, and both tend to force their particular feeling on those around them.

Should conflicting elementals meet, they often fight each other, or at best stay out of each other's way. Complementary elementals have been known to live in relative harmony in places of strong emotion of their type.

Like classic elementals, I see them scaling from low levels (CR 2-3) all the way to high-mid (CR 15-16)

Any suggestions?

AuraTwilight
2013-01-08, 02:09 AM
This is an incredibly awesome idea, though wouldn't abstract concepts like this technically be Outsiders?

I also read once that d20 modern has a class of beings called Platonics that are similar to this...can anyone provide more information on how similar they are to this idea?

TuggyNE
2013-01-08, 02:22 AM
This sounds rather intriguing, although I'm coming up rather empty on ideas to expand on it right now.

This is an incredibly awesome idea, though wouldn't abstract concepts like this technically be Outsiders?

Not necessarily: "An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane." That excludes the Inner Planes in general (most native inhabitants of those are Elementals) and obviously a creature that is not from another plane at all wouldn't usually be an Outsider.

Frathe
2013-01-08, 03:20 AM
AuraTwilight: Here's a link (http://www.d20resources.com/arcana.d20.srd/creatures/platonic.php) for the Platonic. They don't seem too similar; they're more about concepts than emotions.

Possibly you could homebrew an Inner Planes-like system of Emotional Planes, lying between and including the Positive Energy Plane and the Negative Energy Plane. Surrounding the Positive Energy Plane could be Love, Hope, Joy, and Contentment; around the Negative Energy Plane, Hate, Despair, Anger, and Pain; and between the two could lie Apathy or Calm.

{table=head]||
|Love|
Contentment|
+ |Hope
|Joy|
||
|Apathy/Calm|
||
|Hate|
Pain|
- |Despair
|Anger|
[/table]

Proud Tortoise
2013-01-08, 09:34 AM
Interesting idea, although I wouldn't call them elementals. It does imply that they are composed of elements.

Amechra
2013-01-08, 05:06 PM
A long time ago, I was going to homebrew an Elemental Plane of Emotion.

I might still have my notes for the inhabitants (don't hold your breath.)

Almagesto
2013-01-09, 12:31 AM
Yes, if you also included Inner Planes for emotions, it would be amazing. One question though:

Say I encounter an peace elemental (although you should consider changing that name if you don't create the inner planes/new cosmology). How will he work? Is he going to use his "calm emotions" slam attack? And what about Fury or more complicated emotions like apathy or sorrow. I guess you could modify the whatchamacallit trait of Hades for apathy, but sorror? regret?

Once again, a very good idea - please PM me a final draft of at least one elemental.

DracoDei
2013-01-09, 01:58 AM
Take a look at beige dragons in my extended signature for some ideas that might or might not be useful for apathy elementals. Both mechanically and personality-wise.

willpell
2013-01-09, 02:10 AM
I like the idea of using the Changeling: the Lost courts and tying them to elements.

Air or Earth = Desire
Fire = Wrath
Earth or Air = Fear
Water = Sorrow

Not sure which way to go on Desire and Fear. The Spring court has a freewheeling, elfin attitude that fits with elemental Wind, but they also are associated with fertility plant growth, which looks like Earth under the greek system, plus they're big on hoarding wealth, so those plutonian jewels on the Earth plane would fit nicely. For the Autumn court, air could represent toxic, malarial winds, and Earth could be the suffocating weight of the grave. Ultimately it's questionable enough that you might have to use the Chinese element system, with Wood/Flesh/Life/Yang for Spring and Metal/Bone/Lifelessness/Yin for Fall. Earth would then become the balance among all, and thus could correspond to lack of emotion, grounding in reality, though this would suggest it probably doesn't get elementals anymore. (I've never been clear on why Eastern philosophers apparently didn't consider Air an element.)

Frathe
2013-01-09, 12:33 PM
@willpell Air is not one of the Chinese elements because that system is not an "element" system in the same sense as Fire/Water/Earth/Air. Instead, it's a more metaphorical cycle of different energies that dominate and generate each other. It does not attempt to describe the substances that compose the universe. The word "Phase" is actually a better translation of the Chinese term. See the Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing) for more.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-09, 01:02 PM
Yes, if you also included Inner Planes for emotions, it would be amazing. One question though:

Say I encounter an peace elemental (although you should consider changing that name if you don't create the inner planes/new cosmology). How will he work? Is he going to use his "calm emotions" slam attack? And what about Fury or more complicated emotions like apathy or sorrow. I guess you could modify the whatchamacallit trait of Hades for apathy, but sorror? regret?

Once again, a very good idea - please PM me a final draft of at least one elemental.
Peace--could easily be an aura. When you enter it, make a Will save or suffer a penalty to any attacks. The aura also probably deals constant subdual damage each round, no attack roll. Or maybe the Will save could be each round; pass it to avoid the subdual damage and attack penalty.

the_david
2013-01-09, 01:06 PM
Interesting idea, although I wouldn't call them elementals. It does imply that they are composed of elements.

It depends on what you think of as the elements. You have the classical four: Solids, liquids, gasses and energy. (Or earth, water, air and fire. That's what they were called in ancient Greece) The inner planes represent the building blocks of the universe.
You could also use the modern elements. Hydrogen, helium, etc.

The OP decided to get a little bit creative and make up some new elementals. This doesn't mean they aren't elementals. It just means that his universe is composed of another kind of building block. I figure it's at least interesting, and it might fit nice in a Psionic campaign

Surrealistik
2013-01-09, 01:17 PM
Hey, it's WH40K daemons, 3.5 style.

Eldan
2013-01-10, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure why they would be elementals, really. Unless you change much of the established D&D cosmology. The Inner Planes are very much about absolute realities and the building blocks of matter. If you want to look for emotions, you'd have to go to the outer planes or the astral. I mean, we already have madness (Pandemonium), Glory (Ysgard), Freedom (Limbo), Serenity (Elysium), Despair (Hades) and a few others.

the_david
2013-01-10, 04:38 PM
Because some people like to step away from the standard Greyhawk/Planescape cosmology.

You are right about the outer planes though. While the inner planes are all about the elements, the outer planes are all about alignments.

Chess435
2013-01-10, 04:57 PM
Hey, it's WH40K daemons, 3.5 style.

Great, now I'm imagining an Elemental Monolith of Hatred in a fight with a Bloodthirster.

Also, inb4 Elements Elementals of Harmony.

artofregicide
2013-01-11, 12:48 AM
First, answers to question/responses to statements:

1) Everyone who thinks this is a cool idea: I also think so. That's why I posted this. By all means, please use this idea (that's half the reason of sharing it), and if you come up with or find a really cool idea, send a link my way.

2) Cosmology, Outsiders, and stuff: I'm aware that this does *somewhat* step in the boundaries of the Outsiders/Outer Planes in some of the common D&D settings. But I'm not really going for ideals or philosophies are pure, unrefined emotion, sans any intelligence or motivation beyond their own nature. This doesn't make them at all incompatible with those settings, just different.

The "Elementals" in question are for a homebrew setting I'm creating, which is trying to keep the D&D/fantasy flavor while not sticking solely to the cliches.

3) Question: Are they really elementals if they're not made of the elements? My Answer: Yes? I guess? They're not made of the standard elements, but they do represent a type of primitive force, albeit different from the aforementioned classic ones.

4) Other ideas for elementals: Honestly, I think that's awesome. It's just not what I'm going for. :smallsmile:

5) Planes: Whilst it would be rather brilliant to create a series of semi-connected emotion-based planes to house these elementals, that's not the setting I'm using. Feel free to do so yourself.

@Almagesto: Unless you attacked a peace elemental, it's not likely that it would attack you. That'd rather be against it's element, as it were. Instead, a peace elemental would use supernatural abilities/spell like abilities (such as calm emotions or other enchantment) to remove your desire to fight it.

@Willpell: I've been impressed by the Changeling: Lost Courts, even before you mentioned it. I'm using ideas and inspiration from a number of things.

the_david
2013-01-11, 01:02 AM
This might help to classify the emotions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_classification

AuraTwilight
2013-01-11, 01:27 AM
3) Question: Are they really elementals if they're not made of the elements? My Answer: Yes? I guess? They're not made of the standard elements, but they do represent a type of primitive force, albeit different from the aforementioned classic ones.

There officially exist Shadow, Taint, Storm, and Para-Elementals, so you're in the clear, man.

artofregicide
2013-01-11, 02:10 AM
Two examples, admittedly, they're not very well made, but just to give you an idea.

Name: Major Fury Elemental
CR: 7
Size/Type: Large Elemental
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Hit Dice: 7d12+35 (77 HP)
Abilities: STR 20 (+5), DEX 12 (+1), CON 15 (+2), INT 5 (-2), WIS 8 (-1), CHA 18 (+4)
Initiative: +5 (Dex 1, Improved Init)
Speed: 40 feet
Armor Class: 19 (Dex +1, Armor +5, Nat Armor +4, Size -1)
Damage Reduction: 5/magic
Base Attack: +12/+7/+2
Grapple: +21 (BAB 12, Size 4, STR 5)
Attack: Melee (+12) +1 Flaming Morningstar (2d6+5, +1d6 fire [20x2]) or Melee (+12) +1 Keen Scimiatar (1d8+5 [15-20x2])
Full Attack: (+8 +8; +3 +3; -2 -2) +1 Flaming Morningstar and +1 Keen Scimitar, or Charge (+14) Flaming Morningstar
Space/Reach: 10ft
Special Attacks: 3/day) Inspire Rage Mass (Will DC 17 negates,all creatures within 30 feet of each other, within line of sight, as Rage Spell, with the exception that fatigue is kept, and should they fail their first save, they must make a second save or attack the closet target, ally, innocent, or foe, including the Fury Elemental) Will cast this upon itself and aligned elementals, who do not attempt Will saves, but also are not provoked in fighting each other, nor do they become fatigued. At will) Rage (as spell, self only)

Special Qualities: Calm emotions does 1d4 STR damage if Will save is failed. Any who cast this upon a Fury Elemental gain it's devoted attention and next series of attacks.
Saves: Forty +10 Reflex +5 Will +5
Skills: Intimidate +12, Jump +10, Spot +4
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Init, Two Handed Fighting, Improved Two Handed Fighting, Iron Will
Environment: Old Battlefields, Burial Grounds for Warriors, Ruined Fortresses

Organization: Solitary, Pair (1 Major Fury Elemental, 1 Major Hate/Fear/Despair Elemental), Group (1 Major Fury Elemental + 2-4 Minor Fury Elementals), Infestation (4 Major Fury/Hate/Fear/Despair Elementals, 4-12 Minor Fury/Hate/Fear/Despair Elementals)

Treasure: Standard Treasure, as well as one Rage themed lesser magic item, 25% chance of curse.
Note: A Fury elemental's weapons and armor are directly attached to it's body. If removed from the Elemental, or should it be destroyed, they become worthless junk.

Fluff: Fury elementals are born of pure anger: sometimes righteous outrage, other times selfish tantrums or purposelessly violence. Regardless, they tend to gather in places which are aligned to their nature, either of old fury and bloodshed in the past, or anger simmering and ready to boil. Major Fury elementals dress like soldiers, covered in ragged pieces of spiked armor, wielding deadly weapons. However, at closer glance, they appear as mindless engines of destruction, with mechanical parts and wreathed in a cold flame. However, they tend to imitate the behavior of the living, shaking with fits of rage, screaming profanities, and their movements somewhere between artificial and organic.

Name: Spark Serenity Elemental
CR: 1
Size/Type: Tiny Elemental
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Hit Dice: 1d12+1 (7 HP)
Abilities: STR 6(-2), DEX 15 (+2), CON 13 (+1), INT 7 (-1), WIS 16 (+2), CHA 10 (+0)
Initiative: +2 (Dex 2)
Speed: 20 feet (flying)
Armor Class: 17 (Dex +2, size +2, +3 insight)
Damage Reduction: None
Base Attack: +1
Grapple: -5
Attack: Melee (+1) Dazing Touch (1d4 cold + DC 11 Daze)
Full Attack: Melee (+1) Dazing Touch (1d4 cold + DC 11 Daze)
Space/Reach: 2.5 feet
Special Attacks: 1/day) Calm Emotions, as spell, DC 14; 2/day) Calm Animals, as spell; 3/day) cure light wounds (1d8+1) self only

Special Qualities: AC from Wis, as monk, Rage based spells do 1d4 WIS damage, Aura of Peace (DC 13) -1 to attack damage, 60 feet (auditory)

Saves: Forty +10 Reflex +5 Will +5
Skills: Intimidate +12, Jump +10, Spot +4
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Init, Two Handed Fighting, Improved Two Handed Fighting, Iron Will
Environment: Old Battlefields, Burial Grounds for Warriors, Ruined Fortresses

Organization: Solitary, Pair (1 Spark Serenity Elemental, 1 Minor Serenity Elemental), Circle (8 Spark Serenity Elementals)

Treasure: None

Fluff: The tiniest of Serenity Elementals, a Spark looks like a small glowing orb which resonates a soothing sound, which each listener perceives as something which calms them. Averse to violence, Sparks tend to use their supernatural abilities to defuse any violence, and will daze then flee any opponent. Due to their placid nature, Sparks tend to slowly migrate in small groups (circles) across the lands, gravitating towards small disturbances that they can resolve.

Okay, so I realize this isn't great, but you have to start somewhere. PEACH appreciated.

Almagesto
2013-01-11, 02:29 AM
@Almagesto: Unless you attacked a peace elemental, it's not likely that it would attack you. That'd rather be against it's element, as it were. Instead, a peace elemental would use supernatural abilities/spell like abilities (such as calm emotions or other enchantment) to remove your desire to fight it.

Completely agree with you on that one. Now imagine an evil wizard manages to dominate a couple of these...