PDA

View Full Version : Gatekeepers [3.5, PrC's, WIP]

GenericMook
2013-01-09, 05:56 PM
For now, this thread is going to be focusing on building this class. Since this is going to be my first homebrew, I'd like to make a final version with fancy tables after I've got a solid idea. Let's get started.

Concept: Gatekeepers are supposed to be both versed in melee combat and magic, though the degree of this often varies from one Gatekeeper to another. Their main specialty is in fighting extraplanar threats to their native plane, so they'll be getting spells that interfere with dimensional transport, alongside spells that enable them to move to and from their native plane.This will be reflected by a spell list and Domains granted to the Gatekeeper.

Gatekeepers are spellcasters and warriors that have chosen to guard a plane of their choosing. While they may not be a native, they steadily learn how to use the power inherent in a plane to work their bidding.

Ideas: Here are some of the ideas I was considering:

1) I was originally considering to include a "Path" that every Gatekeeper could choose, which would retroactively alter his HD, BAB and saves for the class, but I realized that it might be a bit of a hassle to implement. Would this be a good idea, and if so, are there any good ways I may implement this (aside from creating three separate base classes)?

2) Domains for a Gatekeeper are preset, based upon the plane that they are defending.

3) Alignment restrictions, and corresponding penalties. While I don't want to make a Gatekeeper lose his class features, it makes no sense for a Chaotic Evil Gatekeeper to be from Mechanus.

4) As far as the class' chassis are concerned, I was thinking of using a Full BAB, d10 HD chassis with good Fort and Will saves. It's going to be something you can qualify for at either 6th or 11th level.

5) For class features, I'm at a loss. I was thinking of an ability similar to the Ranger's Favored Enemy trait, except applying to extraplanar creatures directly opposed to the plane you're on or something. Bonus feats are a given (5th and every 4th level after, perhaps?). Other than that, I'm completely puzzled. Since the idea is now going to be adapted into PrC's, I'll include casting advancement (Full? The character DOES get 18 new Spells Known at first level), an ability similar to the Horizon Walker's Terrain Mastery, except only applicable to the Gatekeeper's plane, and some other juicy benefits.

6) For a spell list, I was wondering what spells might fit in with this. I'm aware that some things like Summon Monster, Plane Shift and the like are necessary, but what else would make sense?Characters are already going to be getting bonus spells from their Domain list. Don't need new spells or SLA's.

Here's the Domain tables and ideas I had for the PrCs. For now, names are subject to change.
(As of writing this, only Inner Wheel is complete).

Here's a vague (seriously, it's vague) idea of what I'll be doing.

Inner Wheel Wardens: Inner Wheel wardens serve the defenses of the Inner Planes. This is intended to be a 5-level PrC, to be taken from Level 6 at the earliest.

Notes:
- Primary Domain will be granted at first level.
- Secondary Domain will be granted at third level.
- Planar traits will be accounted for. Considering giving planar traits at second and fourth level.
- Possibly include a feature similar to Censure Fiend, but applicable to outsiders not native to their plane.
- Considering having a Neutral alignment be a requirement for entering this class, but the presence of Outer Planes with both Law/Chaos and Good/Evil makes this limiting.

{table=head]Plane|Domain 1|Domain 2
Plane of Air|Air|Windstorm
Plane of Earth|Earth|Cavern
Plane of Fire|Fire|Summer
Plane of Water|Water|Blackwater
Positive Energy Plane|Healing|Protection
Negative Energy Plane|Death|Winter[/table]

Outer Wheel Wardens: Outer Wheel Wardens serve one of the Outer Planes. There is considerably more variety amongst Outer Wheel Wardens than Inner Wheel Wardens, due to the sheer amount of different Outer Planes. This is intended to be a 10-level PrC, taken from Level 11 at the earliest. Might be split up further, depending on how much work is involved.

Domain Table Under Construction

Beyond Wardens: Beyond Wardens protect the planes from attacks from the Far Realm. This focuses on Aberrations more than actual outsiders, but is nevertherless similar. This is intended to be a 10-level PrC, from Level 11.

As far as Domains go, this one isn't going to get any, but it'll get different benefits that protect against Aberrations and the like.

Edit (09/01/2013): Domain Table for Inner Wheel Wardens posted. Changed to PrC.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

bobthe6th
2013-01-09, 05:58 PM
This is a Prc... or possibly a group of them.

GenericMook
2013-01-09, 06:07 PM
Fluff-wise, it's supposed to be a group of individuals. If that doesn't exist, then it would either be passed down from a mentor, or an individual learning from the manuscripts left behind by a prior Gatekeeper.

Of course, on Law-aligned planes, it makes sense for there to be active groups. It makes less sense on Chaos-aligned planes, but that's where manuscripts and the like, or even being created with the sole purpose of being a Gatekeeper, comes in.

bobthe6th
2013-01-09, 06:21 PM
I meant this was a Prestige Class idea, not a Base Class idea. It could even be a few prestige classes... but it is not a Base Class sized concept. Base classes have to be very generic, more an archetype then anything else. Prestige classes are like this, some specific idea or group.

I would suggest a modified Horizon Walker with a censure fiends ability for outsiders.

GenericMook
2013-01-09, 08:00 PM
That definitely makes sense.

Actually, come to think of it, I could make it into several prestige classes. If so, I'm thinking a 10-level PrC would be better.

I took a look at the Horizon Walker, and that makes sense.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably split it up into three/four PrC's, depending on the planes in particular.