PDA

View Full Version : NPC For A Playtest! Revival of the Homebrew Playtest Services: The +5 Returning Class

Morph Bark
2013-01-10, 10:30 AM
Good day, my dear friends Homebrewers, all ye spectators and lurkers-in-shadows. If you are reading this, chances are that you are familiar with me. For those who aren't, allow me to introduce myself: I am Morph Bark, long-time D&D player -- more often Dungeon Master, occasional homebrewer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9183867&postcount=75), freelance Tiermaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245701) and overall somebody who wishes they could do better.

With one such thing, YOU can help me with. You see, I may also be one of the biggest D&D Homebrew promoters around, at the very least on this forum, and even ran Homebrew Playtest Services (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194604) for a good few months over a year ago. And frankly, I sometimes wonder... what if I started it up again? Why, that'd be marvellous! It'd also be pretty taxing if I had to start the same way I did back then and do everything myself, especially with how I'm occupied primarily these days with looking for studies, a job and taking care of things around the house. Wouldn't it be easy if we all could just turn hobbies into jobs, eh? At any rate, this is what you can help me with: you can help make NPCs for me to challenge my players with, possibly even flesh out my campaign setting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251075) with, and if you're using homebrew classes for it, I can Tier them! (Or possibly re-Tier a class already tiered previously.)

Or, well, at least make a beginning at Tiering them, since my players are currently pretty low level. I'm running two campaigns at the moment: one with seven PCs around level 3 (amount of PCs often drops to six or as low as four) and one with two Gestalt PCs of level 14. The second one is going much more slowly though.

Requests:
NPCs of level 4-5 (or level 14-17).
Standard elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8).
Preferably of my homebrew races, but standard official races are fine. (They're just slightly weaker.)
Some skills are merged/altered in my campaign, but you don't need to worry about that. Otherwise, skills work entirely the same as normal.
Single-classed or with a PrC that fits with the class. Yes, Homebrew classes. That's what this is for!
If the class uses a Homebrew system, please cherry-pick stuff that makes them more easy to use. For instance, as many abilities as possible from a single path/tree/school of magic or the like. Sense and simplicity.
Please refrain from optimizing too highly, as that just gets ridiculous with homebrew and just makes it harder to use. However, if the class doesn't use a whole new magic subsystem, go ahead and get the best stuff the class has to offer, it makes Tiering actually easier in that case! Just don't optimize too much outside of the class, with official feats and Dragon material and suchlike.
It's perfectly okay to use an official class with a lot of homebrew material (a Binder with only homebrew vestiges or a martial adept with only homebrew maneuvers), feel free!
Using NPC wealth, not PC wealth. My players easily go nuts with the slightest bit of treasure.
Be sure to use finished classes only, please. When Tiering, I generally wait at least a week, longer if the class has entered into a 'brewing contest.
For my players to please not read this and metagame during sessions.

Here are some NPC templates below. I'd prefer use of the first, so I can put it in my NPC database, but the others are fine too. (Strangely though, while my personal one looks most like the third one, I like the third one the least.)

Morph Bark's template:
Found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14450543#post14450543). I tried putting it in a spoilerblock, but it just turned all wonky. Even with the others, sources would be MUCH appreciated, like listing official books used or linking to the right threads. Less searching makes for less of a headache, a smoother game and an easier Tiering, after all!

Normal Template:
Name
Race Class
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice
Initiative +X
Speed 30 ft
Armour Class X (+X Dex, etc), touch X, flat-footed X
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +X/+X
Attack
Full Attack
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks
Special Qualities
Saves Fort +X, Ref +X, Will +X
Abilities Str X, Dex X, Con X, Int X, Wis X, Cha X
Skills List only relevant skills
Feats
Treasure

Spell list: Or maneuvers, psionic powers, etc. Mark readied maneuvers or prepared spells with an asterisk*.

Class Ability I:

Class Ability II:

Class Ability III:

Class Ability IV:

MMV template:
Name, CR X
Type (subtypes) Class
Init +X; Senses darkvision/low-light/etc.; Listen +X, Spot +X
Languages
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AC X (+X Dex, etc), touch X, flat-footed X
hp X (X HD)
Fort +X, Ref +X, Will +X
Speed
Melee
Ranged
(add more if you have more than one melee or ranged weapon)
Space 5 ft Reach 5 ft
Base Atk +X Grp +X
Atk Options like special attacks in the other template
Special Action
Spell-like Abilities
Feats
Possessions
Ability I (X) List special attacks, abilities and class abilities here (also mark them as Sp, Su or Ex)
Ability II (X)

I dunno if this will be successful or even if people will respond, but to those who have read this: thank you for reading.

I wish you all a good day and best wishes for 2013.

Zaydos
2013-01-10, 02:05 PM
Any specific roles you want the NPCs to fulfill?

Also standard elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)?

Any special house rules for skill points?

Finally with human bonus feat/skills and wild shape do they actually lose them while Wild Shaped? I've never seen it actually played that way, but I think RAW they do and one of my classes has an ability that is based off of Wild Shape.

Morph Bark
2013-01-10, 02:33 PM
Any specific roles you want the NPCs to fulfill?

Not currently, really. Something akin to a rival party might be nice though. And maybe the baroness of the town the party is at right now.

The party is the following:
Skar, Human Shield Warrior (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192533) 4
Faronel, Angel Chozo Warrior 3
Santos, Angel Debaser (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7624907) 3
Rogunel, Angel Thief-Acrobat (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Thief-Acrobat_(3.5e_Class)) 3
Baron Pjotr, Human Harrowed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188148) 3
Dr. Grutenstein, Jotun Xenoalchemist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205119) 3
Zenkiki Grutenstein, Jotun Witch Doctor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198321) 2

The baroness would serve best as a Cha-based non-caster of some sort (or maybe a Beguiler-ish one), level 5 prolly. There's a few other barons, two of which have a vendetta against Pjotr, but I don't want to focus too much on him as his player can't always make it and therefore I prefer having things regarding him resolved before the end of a session and thus not too big. All barons are human, except maybe one, but he isn't one of these three.

More stuff that might help:
Santos and Rogunel are exhibiting odd behaviour, so angels sent after them might happen. They're currently in an area mostly inhabited by humans and jotun. Skar is on the run from the Holy Empire of Stamaria; Varonel is testing the new high-tech suit and Santos and Rogunel were sent to accompany him; Zenkiki meant to go to the Jotun King to present some top-notch vodka he had brewn, but that was destroyed in a plan to defeat a dragon, though he does want to try and make another batch; Dr. Grutenstein is simply travelling along to watch over his younger brother, but has found a lot of opportunities to graft monster limbs to people; finally, Pjotr is a baron of a small... hamlet, really, perhaps even just a thorp, and called upon the aid of the other PCs to get rid of a dragon eating all the pigs they had. They were later attacked by some montrous humanoids from Further North and have travelled to warn the baroness, a friend of Pjotr's, narrowly coming in time to save her castle from another such attack.

Humans and Jotun (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253022)
Angels (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252925)

Also standard elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)?

Yes.

Any special house rules for skill points?

No. Some skills are merged/altered in this campaign, but there's no need to worry about that for NPCs.

Finally with human bonus feat/skills and wild shape do they actually lose them while Wild Shaped? I've never seen it actually played that way, but I think RAW they do and one of my classes has an ability that is based off of Wild Shape.

I wouldn't have them lose most racial features, I think. Same for elven proficiencies, for instance.

Xefas
2013-01-10, 03:54 PM
I hope I did this right.

The Brass Hound, ECL 4, CR 4
The rain is coming down in thick sheets, clattering against the ground with a constant thunder. The night is cold, and you wish only to be back at the inn, huddled near the warm fire with a hot meal and a soft bed awaiting you. As you round the alleyway, you notice something quite odd in the street ahead. Your vision is obscured by the dark and the rain, but the figure is standing between you and your way home and, besides, you're a bit curious. As you near the creature, that curiosity intensifies, before becoming something altogether terrible. Before you towers a brazen monolith, seven or eight feet tall at least, huge and hulking, green embers of light peeking through its menacing, wickedly jagged metal flesh. As the rain strikes this monster's hide, it evaporates in a hissing steam that, combined with the storm above, threatens to overwhelm your senses. But, then, it turns to you. It locks its infernal eyes of billowing green flame upon you, and lets loose a howl that sends every other earthly sensation rushing away, leaving only terror behind. It moves neither as a man, nor as an animal, but something alien, something that does not hunt, does not murder, but simply can do nothing but scream and tear and break the awful world that it is trapped in.

The Backstory
Darek Arbon was, and is still in some capacities, a simple tradesman. He had a normal, healthy childhood as such things are measured in the city, was apprenticed to a fine carpenter, and became a craftsman of reasonable quality himself. Now, as a young man, when he is not mending roofs or building furniture, he is courting a nice young lady; a childhood friend in fact. When he's not doing that, he still drops in to chat with his old master from time to time. And when he is not doing that, he is brutally murdering anyone too unfortunate to be caught in the rain after dark.

He wasn't always like that, poor Darek. He was never a bad person. Not vengeful, nor angry. He did nothing to deserve his fate, at all, really. He is merely the victim of the arbitrary cruelty of the universe. One night, as he lay down to bed, rain pattering on his roof, a whisper came to him. Words and thoughts and visions from beyond this world, and beyond the next, from long ago, in a time not meant for his kind. He glimpsed a metropolis of brass towers and green light, where the night came as a living shadow, and the raindrops were nightmares leaking from the mind of a broken sky.

Now, when the night comes, and the rain pours, Darek becomes a citizen of that mad city. He does not black out from the experience; he remembers it just fine. But he is a different person during the day, and speaks nothing of his adventures. The locals have begun to notice, however, and between the howls, the savagely maimed corpses, and the all-too-consistent rumors of a brass figure, he has begun to be called "The Brass Hound".

The Build
The Basics
Medium Humanoid (Human), Chaotic Evil
Human (Cityslicker) Martial Adept 4
Advancement: If given no other stimulus, Darek will continue on his current avenue of power, taking more levels of Martial Adept and focusing on the Malfeasant Heart and Infernal Monster disciplines.

Senses
Initiative: +6
Senses: Listen -1, Search +1, Sense Motive -1, Spot -1
Languages: Common

Defenses
Armor Class: 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10
Hit points: 34
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +0

Offenses
Speed: 30 ft
Size/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Melee: Unarmed Attack +7 melee (1d6+2)
Ranged: --
Attack options: Maneuvers
BAB: +4; Grapple: +6

Feats, Skills and Special Qualities
Ability scores: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 12
Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Focus (Unarmed Attacks), Superior Unarmed Strike
Skills:
Appraise +9 (7 ranks), Balance +9 (7 ranks), Climb +9 (7 ranks), Craft (Carpentry) +10 (7 ranks), Intimidate +10 (7 ranks), Knowledge (The Planes) +8 (7 ranks)

Equipment
Armor: None
Weapons: None
Worn items: Clothing
Tools: Masterwork Carpenter's Workshop

Special Abilities

Human Qualities: Darek is a Cityslicker. He chose not to learn a proficiency from Weapon Familiarity. What kind of psychopath spends their time training with a weapon rather than working or spending time with their family? For Adaptability, he has Improved Initiative - he's a quick thinker that one. For Versatility, he chose a +2 bonus to Carpentry and Intimidate.

Fighting Style: Darek became proficient with Heavy Armor as a product of his madness.

Martial Excellency (Paired Stance): While in a Malfeasant Heart stance, Darek may enter a second stance from a different discipline, and maintain both stances simultaneously. He may do this for a maximum of 4 rounds per day, which need not be consecutive.

Stances Known: Viridian Legend Exoskeleton, Retribution Will Follow

Maneuvers Known: Green Sun Nimbus Flare, Wrath-Stoked Bonfire Soul, All-Consuming Rampage Release, Raging Behemoth Charge, Fury Is Freedom, God-Smashing Blow

Maneuvers Readied: 4

Tactics

When something triggers his psychosis, Darek will enter the Viridian Legend Exoskeleton stance, encasing him in massive brass armor that grants a +8 armor bonus to his armor class, bringing him up to 20/12/18. He typically has Wrath-Stoked Bonfire Soul, All-Consuming Rampage Release, God-Smashing Blow, and Green Sun Nimbus Flare readied. Although, against an enemy that regularly uses debilitating conditions, you may wish to swap out one for Fury Is Freedom. Darek certainly will once he realizes that his enemies have such capabilities.

In the first round of combat, Darek will usually activate All-Consuming Rampage Release, further increasing his offensive and defensive abilities, as well as Wrath-Stoked Bonfire Soul to inhibit his foe's ability to heal. If his opposition looks tough, he will also use his Paired Stance ability to enter Retribution Will Follow. Following rounds will involve alternating between using up his Strikes, and refreshing them for further use. If he is fighting a lot of weak enemies, he will swap out for Raging Behemoth Charge, to spread the damage out more.

In the case that he is facing imminent death, Darek will deactivate Viridian Legend Exoskeleton and confess that he is afflicted with a terrible madness outside of his control, and beg for his life. He needs help! He's the victim! He has a life and people that rely on him! If you kill him now, what happens when the same supernatural illness befalls someone else? And so on. Whether this is a true plea for help, or just an irredeemable madman trying to worm away from justice is a matter for the tone of the campaign he is being used in.

After making a successful kill, and making sure no one is watching, Darek will switch his stance off, and return to normal. His armor vanishes along with all the blood and visible damage that it might've taken, leaving him seeming quite innocent and ordinary. He has no murder weapon, leaves no evidence, and eye witnesses certainly won't be able to match him to the killer.

Sources and Adaptation Only non-Core sources listed

Morph Bark's Human Race (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253022)
Xefas' Martial Adept Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14352662#post14352662)
Xefas' Malfeasant Heart Discipline (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189444)
Xefas' Infernal Monster Discipline (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176059)
And the Tome of Battle, for the Superior Unarmed Strike feat.

Zaydos
2013-01-10, 04:12 PM
Hopefully this is the kind of thing you're looking for, used MM (original) format with the addition of a possible background and tactics. As a shapeshifter he has multiple forms with differing stats, these are spoilered separately for length. If it looks usable I might try to make a few more.

Class: Form-Shifter (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169545)

Other than that everything should be Core except Astral Construct (which is still SRD) and the use of your humans.

Corgan
Human Form Shifter 4
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (33 hp)
Initiative +0
Speed 20 ft
Armour Class 14 (+4 armor), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/+2
Attack: Sickle +3 melee (1d6-1 +1 fire)
Full Attack: Sickle +3 melee (1d6-1 +1 fire)
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Assume Form (Lesser Beast Form, Beast Form), Specialized Forms
Special Qualities: Augmented Form, Lesser Augmented Form, Change Self, Uncanny Dodge, Hinterlander Bloodline, Hide and Move Silently as Racial Skills.
Saves Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +5
Abilities Str 8, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills Hide +11, Move Silently +11, Spot +8, Listen +8, Disguise +9, Bluff +9 (if Stealth and/or Perception is used, Stealthy should be swapped for Skill Focus (Stealth), and increased 1 higher than Hide/Move Silently, and size modifiers to said skills might need to be modified, also +2 to Perception as he can select it as one of his racial skills; finally add tumble/acrobatics which though not useful in his armor can be used in spider/elemental/snake forms at +10/+8/+10 respectively, and Survival +8).
Feats Weapon Finesse, StealthyHuman, Ability Focus (Poison)
Treasure: +1 Studded Leather (~2200), 3 Mw Javelins (903), Backpack (2), 10 Sunrods (10), Rations (4 days, 2), Waterskin (0.1), Bedroll (0.1), Flint and Steel (1), Sickle (15ish), 3 potions of cure light wounds (CL 1, 150 GP), 9 GP, 28 SP, 19 CP.

Backstory: Corgan was a gutter child, the son of a woman of ill-repute and an unknown father (though she claimed he was a noble). Corgan learned young to keep his mouth shut and his eyes open, always looking out for danger. It was when he was twelve that he found a strange tome on the body of a dead traveler. Perusing the tome he found that it spoke of a strange magical art which would allow the user to take the form of a beast or monster. He studied this tome, pestering local magicians to learn more of this art if possible. Finally, after years of experimentation at 19 Corgan was able to first tap into this power and actually take on a new form, the shape of a snake. Corgan was over joyed and strove to find a way to better himself with this power. He set forth, joining one traveling band after another, and Corgan honed his skills as an assassin, learning the art of killing other men.
Now a professional assassin, Corgan sells his skills to the highest bidder, moving through society through his transformative powers. Corgan feels no guilt over killing and is a cold-hearted and merciless man, though not without some modicum of loyalty or sense of honor.

Tactics: Corgan relies primarily on stealth, using his abilities of disguise (+19 when the bonus from Disguise Self is calculated) and his ability to hide to get close to targets alone. He will then use one of his specialized or assumed forms to attack a target. If he cannot go against a target alone and must use force he prefers to assume his Astral Construct form and don his gear before attempting to gain what benefits he still can from stealth so that he can preferably fight them one on one or in an advantageous position. His spider form is used for its stealth and ability to attack, via web, from atop walls and to, in a worst case scenario escape through a higher level. If he is given time to prepare he will spin webs like a true giant spider. One potential tactic is even waiting for the heroes to investigate the webs and then lighting them on fire with his fire elemental form. If pressed he is not above retreating to fight again, using his superior speed as a fire elemental to escape and his stealth to return to attack again. He will use his snake form to make hit and run attacks on opponents from near or in the water or an area with narrow tunnels where it can easily retreat letting its Con poison go to work. The snake form is also useful for moving through watery terrain. Other animal forms allow for flight and other forms of movement, escape, and infiltration.

Assume Form (Su): 6 times per day he may assume the form of another creature (using specialized form does not count for this ability). This functions like the Alternate Form special quality (same thing Wild Shape is based off of), but has a duration of 40 minutes. To change shape with Assume Form is a standard action. May assume the form of medium or small animals with 4 or less hit dice. When you assume a form all items you carry and wear are merged into your body and become non-functional; ioun stones remain in orbit around your body. This ability does not allow them to assume the form of a swarm of creatures or an incorporeal creature.

Specialized Form (Su): The appearance of each of these forms is set when you first obtain it, and once you have selected a form it cannot be changed. You gain Ex and Su abilities of the forms assumed through this ability. Assuming a specialized form is a full round action but you may remain in one for as long as desired, using this ability at-will. Like with Assume Form any items worn during the transformation are integrated into you and become non-functional. If assuming the form of a mindless creature, or a creature immune to mind-affecting effects by virtue of its type, you gain neither mindless nor immunity to mind-affecting effects. You never gain any spellcasting, or spell-like abilities of the creature. Corgan has 4 specialized forms available (each with their own stat bloc below): Astral Construct, Large Monstrous Spider, Small Fire Elemental, Medium Viper.

Augmented Form (Su): Burning Spirit; When in his natural form, an assumed form with less than 4 HD, or in the form of a Small Fire Elemental or Giant Ant Corgan deals +1 fire damage with each melee attack.

Lesser Augmented Form (Su): Vile Brood; May use natural form’s Constitution or Charisma (whichever is better) instead of their current form’s Constitution (or Charisma) to determine the Fort save DC of any poison of their form.

Change Self (Ex): You’ve gained a mastery over your physical form such that, starting at 3rd level, you can alter your appearance to mimic the effects of a Disguise Self spell. This is not an illusion effect, and while the changes are limited to cosmetic changes (like with Disguise Self) they are physically made. Using this ability is a full-round action to make any changes and is usable at-will. These changes are permanent until you change your form (with Assume Form, Specialized Form, or a polymorph spell), you use this ability again, or you go to sleep.

Beast’s Tongue (Ex): When in a Specialized Form Corgan may continue to speak in all languages he is capable of in his natural form, even if that form is normally not capable of producing vocalizations.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Corgan does not lose his Dex bonus to AC when flat-footed or attacked by an invisible assailant.

Astral Construct Form
Human Form Shifter 4
Medium Construct
Initiative +2
Speed 30 ft, fly 15-ft (average)
Armour Class 24 (+2 Dex, +8 natural, +4 armor), touch 12, flat-footed 26
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/+8
Attack: Slam +8 (1d6+7) or Javelin +5 ranged (1d6+5)
Full Attack: Slam +8 (1d6+7) or Javelin +5 ranged (1d6+5)
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Qualities: Augmented Form, Lesser Augmented Form, Change Self, Uncanny Dodge, Construct Traits, Darkvision 60-ft, Low-Light Vision.
Saves Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +5
Abilities Str 21, Dex 15, Con -, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills Hide +13, Move Silently +13, Spot +8, Listen +8, Disguise +9, Bluff +9.
Feats Weapon Finesse, Stealthy, Ability Focus (Poison)
Treasure: +1 Breastplate (2350), 3 Mw Javelins (903), Backpack (2), 10 Sunrods (10), Rations (4 days, 2), Waterskin (0.1), Bedroll (0.1), Flint and Steel (1), Sickle (15ish), 9 GP, 28 SP, 19 CP.

Unless transforming in combat will remove gear and don it after transformation. As such stats reflect gear as worn.

Large Monstrous Spider Form
Human Form Shifter 4
Large Vermin
Initiative +3
Speed 30 ft, climb 20-ft
Armour Class 14 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/+9
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d8+3 and poison) or Web +5 ranged touch (Entangles, 10-ft range increment, max range 50-ft)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d8+3 and poison) or Web +5 ranged touch (Entangles, 10-ft range increment, max range 50-ft)
Space/Reach 10 ft/5 ft
Special Qualities: Augmented Form, Lesser Augmented Form, Change Self, Uncanny Dodge, Vermin Traits, Darkvision 60-ft, Tremorsense 60-ft.
Saves Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities Str 15, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills Hide +12 (+16 in webs), Move Silently +16 (+20 in webs), Climb +10, Spot +8, Listen +8, Disguise +2 (going by the RAW that Wild Shape/Specialized Form would lose human skill points otherwise +9), Bluff +9.

As a spider Corgan lacks the ability to pick up and wear most of his equipment and so therefore normally has it subsumed into his form. As such it is not reflected on his stat bloc.

Web: Both types of monstrous spiders often wait in their webs or in trees, then lower themselves silently on silk strands and leap onto prey passing beneath. A single strand is strong enough to support the spider and one creature of the same size. Web-spinners can throw a web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the spider. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check or burst it with a Strength check. Both are standard actions whose DCs are 13 to Escape and 17 to break. The check DCs are Constitution-based, and the Strength check DC includes a +4 racial bonus.

Web-spinners often create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 60 feet square, depending on the size of the spider. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot section has the hit points given on the table, and sheet webs have damage reduction 5/—.

A monstrous spider can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.

Poison: Bite, Fort DC 17, Init and Sec damage 1d6 Str.

Small Fire Elemental
Human Form Shifter 4
Small Elemental (Fire)
Initiative +5
Speed 50 ft
Armour Class 14 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/-1
Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d4 and 1d4+1 fire)
Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d4 and 1d4+1 fire)
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Assume Form (Lesser Beast Form, Beast Form), Specialized Forms, Burn
Special Qualities: Augmented Form, Lesser Augmented Form, Change Self, Uncanny Dodge, Elemental Traits, Darkvision 60-ft, Immunity to Fire, Vulnerability to Cold
Saves Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities Str 10, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills Hide +16, Move Silently +12, Spot +8, Listen +8, Disguise +2 (going by the RAW that Wild Shape/Specialized Form would lose human skill points otherwise +9), Bluff +9.
Feats Weapon Finesse, Stealthy, Ability Focus (Poison), Weapon FinesseB, Improved Initiative[sup]B[/B]

Burn (Ex)

A fire elemental’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the elemental’s flaming body. Those hit by a fire elemental’s slam attack also must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 12) or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Creatures hitting a fire elemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the elemental’s attack, and also catch on fire unless they succeed on a Reflex save (DC 12).

Medium Viper Form
Human Form Shifter 4
Medium Animal
Initiative +3
Speed 20 ft, climb 20-ft, swim 20-ft
Armour Class 16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 16
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/+2
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d4-1 and poison)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d4-1 and poison)
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Assume Form (Lesser Beast Form, Beast Form), Specialized Forms, Poison
Special Qualities: Augmented Form, Lesser Augmented Form, Change Self, Uncanny Dodge, Low-Light Vision, Scent
Saves Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities Str 8, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills Hide +14, Move Silently +14, Climb +7, Spot +8, Listen +8, Disguise +2 (going by the RAW that Wild Shape/Specialized Form would lose human skill points otherwise +9), Bluff +9.

Poison (Ex): Bite, Initial and Secondary damage 1d6 Con, DC 17.

Some possible Assumed Forms:
Dire Weasel Form
Human Form Shifter 4
Medium Animal
Initiative +4
Speed 40-ft
Armour Class 16 (+4 Dex, +2 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 16
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/+5
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6+3 and 1 fire)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6+3 and 1 fire)
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Assume Form (Lesser Beast Form, Beast Form), Specialized Forms, Attach, Blood Drain
Special Qualities: Augmented Form, Lesser Augmented Form, Change Self, Uncanny Dodge
Saves Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities Str 14, Dex 19, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills Hide +15, Move Silently +15, Spot +8, Listen +8, Disguise +9, Bluff +9.

Attach (Ex): A dire weasel that hits with its bite attack latches
onto the opponent’s body with its powerful jaws. An attached
dire weasel loses its Dexterity bonus to AC and thus has an AC
of 12.
An attached dire weasel can be struck with a weapon or grappled
itself. To remove an attached dire weasel through grappling,
the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature.
Blood Drain (Ex): A dire weasel drains blood for 1d4 points of
Constitution damage each round it remains attached.

Eagle Form
Human Form Shifter 4
Small Animal
Initiative +2
Speed 10-ft, fly 80-ft (average)
Armour Class 14 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/-1
Attack: Talons +6 melee (1d4 and 1 fire)
Full Attack: 2 Talons +6/+6 melee (1d4 and 1 fire), and bite +1 (1d4 and 1 fire)
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Assume Form (Lesser Beast Form, Beast Form), Specialized Forms,
Special Qualities: Augmented Form, Lesser Augmented Form, Change Self, Uncanny Dodge
Saves Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5
Abilities Str 10, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills Hide +17, Move Silently +13, Spot +8, Listen +8, Disguise +9, Bluff +9.

Edit: Forgot ACP, so changed him to Studded Leather to also bring AC more in line with level and maintain stealthiness.

Morph Bark
2013-01-10, 04:14 PM
Gorgeous. :smallsmile:

Very nice backstory you added in too. For others reading this: that isn't entirely necessary, if you think its too much work, but I always love to see such things and makes for great inspiration to use.

I was puzzled for a bit where the brazen monolith look came from, but I see you got it mentioned in the Tactics. Thank you.

Draken
2013-01-10, 07:07 PM
Well, lets see. Something simple to go with. A burning dwarf.

It is noteworthy that this character is somewhat focused on a goal, namely, "set anything nearby on fire with whatever action is taken". At level five, he takes Elemental Aura (Fire), invariably.

Kozul, The Effigy, ECL 4, CR 4
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Update%202-24/030507boatmurdered.jpg
The air is hot and dry, and the dwarf standing before you could very well be a devil. His armor is shimmering in the heat, and the flames dancing across his body twist as if they were alive.

Lawful Evil Mountain Dwarf Evolutionist 4
Medium Humanoid (Fire)
Hit Dice: 4d8+16 (37 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft
Armour Class: 20 (+1 Dex, +4 Dodge, +5 Chain Shirt), touch 15, flat-footed 15. 23 AC and 19 touch vs dragons.
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +4/+7
Attack: Tentacle +3* (1d3+3, plus 2d6+1d4 fire damage and Burn) or tentacle touch +3* (2d6+1d4 fire damage and Burn)
Full Attack: Four tentacles +3* (1d3+3, plus 2d6+1d4 fire damage and Burn) or four tentacle touches +3* (2d6+1d4 fire damage and Burn)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft (10 ft with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Burn, Elemental Attack (2d6 Fire), Heart of Fire (1d4), Elemental Nimbus.
Special Qualities: Mutations, Teratomorphisms, Monster Sage, Fire Resistance 10, Packing the Power, Stability, Elemental Rejuvenation.
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2 (Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +4 vs spells and spell-like abilities)
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 8
Skills: Appraise +3, Craft (Blacksmithing) +10, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (The Planes) +8, Listen +6, Spot +6.
Feats: Elemental Mutator, Great Changer, Improved Unarmed Strike, Heat Endurance, Combat Expertise.
Treasure: +1 Chain Shirt (1400 gp), Vest of Resistance +1 (1000 gp), Healing Belt (750 gp), 150 gp.
*Attacks include -4 penalty from combat expertise.

Mechanical Considerations
Teratomorphisms: Kozul has one rank I teratomorphism, Heart of Fire.

Mutations: Kozul has 17 mutations.
Basic
Evolve Combat Instinct - 2
Evolve Fortitude - 1
Evolve Reflexes - 1
Evolve Will - 1
Evolve Skills - 2
Evolve Talent - 1 (Combat Expertise)

Innate
Natural Weapon - 2 (four tentacles)

Extraordinaire
Burn - 1
Energy Resistance - 2 (Fire)

Supernatural
Elemental Attack -2 (Fire, tentacles)
Elemental Nimbus - 1 (Fire)
Elemental Rejuvenation - 1 (Fire)

Monster Sage: Kozul has a +4 bonus on all knowledge checks to gain knowledge about creatures.

Burn (Ex): Any creature that takes fire damage from Kozul must make a reflex save against a DC of 16 or catch on fire.

Nimbus of Fire (Su): Any creature within 5 feet of Kozul suffers 2d6 points of fire damage, activating this ability is a standard action and maintaining it takes a sift action.

Elemental Rejuvenation: As long as he is in contact with a flame, an extremely hot environment or some other manifestation of the fire element, Kozul is capable of taking a full round action to heal 4 hit points.

Tactics
Kozul begins combat by activating elemental nimbus, on the off-chance that it is not already active. He fights defensively, trying to touch his enemies with his fiery tendrils until the are lit aflame.

Non-core sources:
Morph Bark's dwarf race.
The Evolutionist. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240717)
Sandstorm (Heat Endurance feat).
Magic Item Compendium, hoho.

Milo v3
2013-01-10, 07:22 PM
Here's an assassin:
Petras the Wraith, ECL 4, CR 4
Passing through the paradoxically immense chambers of the dwarven ruin, with each step taken you can feel sinister eyes upon you. Looking back, you see only the cobweb filled ruins of the fortress.

Continuing on, the webs seemed to grow more prevalent and dense. Taking out your blade, you begin to slash at the silken obstacle. Astonished by the results, you stop. Pure sanguine drips from the dense fibres. Staining the golden web. It seems a dwarven corpse lay twisted within the cocoon.

"Disappointing. Now I have to kill you." The silkly voice echoed through the halls, but your keen ears detect the source. Your bow rises to face the enemy.

The Backstory
Killing and stealing was all Petras knew. His parents had died from a fire while he was still only a child, forcing him to live on the streets as a thief. One day he stole from a simple appearance woman, taking a golden ring from her. Only later that day die he learn she was an assassin, with her blade upon his throat.

Fuelled by fear and instinct, the boy did more than stagger her. He stood over her, the dark blood staining hands. But the fear had left, he finally felt safe again. And he never wanted to lose that safety again.

The Build
The Basics
Medium Humanoid (human), NE
Human Spiderblood Assassin
Build progression:
Spider Blood Assassin 4Advancement: By Class levels

Senses
Initiative: +3
Languages: ?

Defenses
Armor Class: 16, touch 13, flat-footed 16
Hit points: 4d8+4 (22 HP)
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +1

Offenses
Speed: 30 ft., climb 30ft.
Melee: Webbed Fang +6 (1d6+1; 19-20)
Ranged: Longbow +6 (1d8; x3)
Attack options:
BAB: +3; Grapple: +4

Ability scores: Str 13, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 8
Feats: Weapon Proficiency (Longbow)B, Weapon FinesseB, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes
Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12), Craft (Poison) 7 (+10), Diplomacy 7 (+5), Disable Device 7 (+14), Knowledge (Local) 7 (+10), Perception 7 (+7), Stealth 7 (+12), Survival 7 (+9), Thievery 7 (+10), Use Magic Device 7 (+5).

Equipment
Armor: Mwk Studded Leather
Weapons: Longbow, Webbed Fang
Equipment: Grappling Hook, Mwk Thieves Tools, Potion of Cure Light Wounds (2), Silk Rope, Medium Spider Venom (13), Arrows (1700).

Special Abilities

Assassin Techniques: Grip of the Spider and Silk Weaver.
Evasion
Poison Use: Spider Blood Assassins innately understand how to handle poison and cannot accidentally poison themselves when applying poison to a weapon.
Spiderblood: At 3rd level, the Spider Blood Assassin has innate knowledge on poisons and his body his naturally resistant to them. A Spider Blood Assassin gains a +1 saving throw bonus against poisons of all kinds (Even those that are magical or supernatural in nature).
In addition any poison he creates via Craft (Alchemy) has its Fort DC increased by +1. These bonuses increase by +1 every two levels.
Spider Tongue (Ex): At 3rd level, the Spider Blood Assassin gains a +5 insight bonus to Handle Animal checks involving spider or spider-like creatures.
Sneak Attack +2d6
Trapfinding: At level two a Spider Blood Assassin adds 1/2 his level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks. A Spider Blood Assassin of second level or above can use Disable Device to disarm magic traps.
Uncanny Dodge

Tactics
Petras attacks from the shadows, using his exceptional climbing skill to stalk his prey. He generally uses a poisoned Webbed Fang, though at long range he does use a Longbow with poisoned arrows.

Spiderblood Assassin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240167)
Webbed Fang (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13096028#post13096028)
Human (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253022)

Amechra
2013-01-10, 09:25 PM
Which rules for firearms do you use? The ones from the DMG?

Kane0
2013-01-11, 02:33 AM
I'd love to offer you any of my 3.U classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13848102#post13848102) to try out, but it may take a little work to revert back to 3.5/P rules. Which class or role do you have a need for in your lineup? I can write up a level 2-4, but i think the power difference from 3.U level may require a LA +1 to be given to him.

Morph Bark
2013-01-11, 05:51 AM
Which rules for firearms do you use? The ones from the DMG?

Generally the ones from Pathfinder, though we may have forgotten the rules for misfiring at times. Only one of the PCs uses a firearm though (a rifle). While uncommon, they definitely exist in this world. Advanced firearms are much rarer than early ones though.

I'd love to offer you any of my 3.U classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13848102#post13848102) to try out, but it may take a little work to revert back to 3.5/P rules. Which class or role do you have a need for in your lineup? I can write up a level 2-4, but i think the power difference from 3.U level may require a LA +1 to be given to him.

Yikes, that looks like it'd definitely need some work yeah. :smalleek:

Role stuff is in my second post.

WaylanderX
2013-01-11, 07:32 AM
Yoyo, Skarr here (Double r Morph, you failcake!)
After a link from Morph, I decided to put a few homebrew classes of my
own making on here. Starting with a Delirionist, as there were no casters when I read the thread.

Lezard the Mad, ECL 4, ECL 4
The forest you're walking in seems unnaturally quiet, as if all life braces itself for what is to come. Shivers run down your spice as you come across a clearing of the weirdest kind. Instead if it being peacefull and tranquil, you see malformed brambels growing everywhere and distorted trees growing around the clearing itself. Then suddenly, it is all gone and everything seems fine. Except for one thing: in the middle stands a cloaked figure. The only thing you can see of his face is a wicked grin that is as wide his face is broad. He beckons to you, saying: “Come, embrace the Madness. If you won't, I'll see you embrace it with a bit off.... persuasion.” At this point he takes of his cowl and you see a male angel, surprisingly, of about 6 ft. tall. You notice one major difference from the other angels you've encountered. The wings of this angel are distorted beyond recognition and have a purplish hue to them. As you ponder what to do, you feel something tugging at your very soul......

The Backstory
A angel from the Core, in his childhood, Lezard was a great paragon of Law. Untill one day, he met a human. This human asks Lezard if he desired power. In his childhood innocence, he accepted the offer and became his apprentice. After countless years, he learned of the powers of Chaos, believing he could use them to further the goals of Law. Obviously, he failed and became consumed by the magic he sought to control.

The Build
The Basics
Medium Humanoid (Angel), Chaotic Neutral
Angel (Gabrii) Delirionist 4
Build progression: Only Delirionist.Advancement: More levels in Delirionist.

Senses
Initiative: + 2
Senses: Listen +0, Search +0, Sense Motive +0, Spot +0
Languages: Common, Angelic and Stamarian

Defenses
Armor Class: 13 (15 when using Hyperactivity), touch 11 (13), flat-footed 12
Hit points: 4d6+4 (23)
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +6

Offenses
Melee: +4 Masterwork Dagger (1d4-1) or +3 Mad Epidemic (1d2 Wis or Cha damage)
Ranged: None
Attack options: Mad Epidemic, Insanity Magic
BAB: +2; Grapple: +1

Ability scores: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 16
Flaw: Distorted Wings (Can't use wings gained from angel race)
Feats: Weapon Finesse (Flaw), Insanity Focus (Spell DC +1), Greater Insanity Focus (Spell DC +1)
Skills:
Knowledge (Forbidden Lore) +8, Concentration +8, Bluff +10
Skill tricks: None

Equipment
Armor: Leather
Weapons: Masterwork Dagger
Worn items: Orb of Mental Renewal
Tools: Grappling Hook, Tent, 2 Potions of Cure Light Wounds, Rations x3

Special Abilities
Insanity Magic, Delirous Mind (bonus on Will saves against enchantments equal to points of Wisdom reduction), Insane Personality (bonus equal to charisma reduction on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Gather Information), Mad Epidemic (Touch attack deals 1d2 Cha or Wis damage depending on which one is more reduced.)

Spells Known and per day

Induce spells known:
Hyperactivity, Sanity Rend

Usable at Will, each casting you can take a penalty to Wis or Cha (Optional and the amount is specified in the spell)

Descriptions:

Hyperactivity

Level Prerequisite: 1
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: No
Sanity Shift: 1 Wisdom Penalty

By infusing your soul with madness, you can react to attack much faster than most people can.

You gain a dodge bonus to AC equal half you caster level (min +1).

Sanity Rend

Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10/CL)
Duration: Instantanious
Saving Throw: No
Sanity Shift: 1 Wisdom Penalty or 1 Charisma Penalty

You manifest your latent insanity, rending your opponents flesh.

One of the few ways a Insanity user can physically hurt somebody, by using pure mental force as a weapons that closely resemble claws. As a standard action, you make a ranged touch attack. If it hits, the target takes 1d6/2 casterlevels slashing damage (Min 1d6).

Maximum of 5 Madness Spells per day.
1 Point of Cha damage = 1 spellslot.

Madness Spells Known:
Nightmare of the Void; Disintregrate Intelligence; Hear no Evil, See no Evil

Descriptions:

Nightmare of the Void

Range: Close (25 ft. + 5/2 CL’s)
Duration: 1 round per 3 points of Wisdom and Charisma Reduction
Saving Throw: Yes
Sanity Threshold: 2 Wisdom or Charisma Reduction

By infusing your enemies with your own nightmarish visions, you frighten the enemy.

As a standard action, you target 1 enemy. That enemy must make a Will Save or be Shaken for 3 rounds. This stacks with other fear effects but not with itself.

Hear no Evil, See no Evil

Level Prerequisite: 3
Duration: Instantanious
Sanity Threshold: 4 Charisma Reduction

You erase the targets memories over a short timespan, but only the ones where you appear in.

As a standard action, you target 1 enemy. That enemy must make a Will Save or forget every memory involving you that occured in the last 10 minutes.

Disintegrate Intelligence

Duration: Instantaneous
Sanity Threshold: 4 Charisma Reduction

You scorch away your targets intelligence by overloading his mind with feral imagery.

As a standard action, you target an enemy. That enemy takes 1d4 Intelligence damage plus 1 per 4 reduction damage you have (Fortitude halfs).

Tactics
Lezard prefers flashy entrances. After buffing himself up with Hyperactivity and lowering his mental stats, he'll make the PC's the offer to learn them the magic of Chaos or ask their help in increasing the ararchy in the area. When pressured into combat, he'll most likely open with Disintegrate Intelligence on the member of the party which appears the dumbest. When that doesn't work, he'll use Nightmare of the Void first to lower their saves, then try again. If out of Madness spells, he'll use Sanity Rend to damage foes. When all does are unconcious, he'll use Hear no Evil, See no Evil to wipe out their memories.

Important Note: Remember though, this NPC does not work well alone and is best used with mooks to cover him.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265575

Kane0
2013-01-11, 07:33 AM
Well, so far you have a martial character, an assassin and a shifter character so i guess ill make a support arcane caster of some sort. Probably a magus or artificer.

Edit: Ill have a level 4 magus and level 4 artificer ready to throw around hopefully by tomorrow afternoon. You can use either one you like.

Amechra
2013-01-11, 09:17 AM
Let me... rewrite my Corpse Knight class, and I'll give you an angelic gunslinger.

A zombie angel gunslinger.

You did say France and the Wild West are pretty much the same thing in your setting, right?

Morph Bark
2013-01-11, 09:48 AM
Edit: Ill have a level 4 magus and level 4 artificer ready to throw around hopefully by tomorrow afternoon. You can use either one you like.

Nice. Not too familiar with how the normal artificer in play is, I gotta say. Do those two classes function well as a duo?

And yes. Cypretini is a country that mixes France with the Old West. It's one of the places were guns appear most often. A zombie angel gunslinger sounds cool.

Kane0
2013-01-11, 05:12 PM
I think I can put together the two to work as a pair.

Edit: Basics of their Character (https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwops8xgyywftz3/Morph%20Bark's%20lvl%204%20Human%20Magus.xlsx) Sheets (https://www.dropbox.com/s/svrywmimzfm10p9/Morph%20Bark's%20lvl%204%20Angel%20Artificer.xlsx) done, will be working into stat blocks tomorrow.

Artificer!

Kurt the Creative
Chaotic Good Angel (Raphai) Artificer 4
Medium Humanoid
28 HP
Initiative +3
Speed 30 ft
Armour Class 18 (+1 BAB, +3 Dex, +4 Armor), touch 14, flat-footed 15
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/+3
Attack Launcher +7 (1d10) or Dagger +4 (1d4)
Full Attack Launcher +7 (1d10) or Dagger +4 (1d4)
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks
Launcher: Can lob potions, flasks, or any other appropriately sized and shaped item via launcher as special ammo. Deals damage as the item would, or as an improvised bullet if not.
Special Qualities
Low Light Vision: 60' range?
Glide: Can use wings to move up to 20' horizontally for every 5' descent, and takes no fall damage while gliding.
Angelic Craftmanship: Can craft items one tier higher
Saves Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills Craft/Profession +11, Disable Device +9, Perception +4, Know(All) +4, Spellcraft +6, UMD +9
Feats
Toughness: Bonus 2hp per level
Rapid Reload: Can reload launcher as swift action
Craft Wondrous Item: Can create Wondrous Items

Treasure
Mwk Chain Shirt, Mwk Dagger, Mwk Launcher, Travellers Crafting Kit, Alchemist Fire x2, Acid Flask x2, Holy water x1, Assorted alchemical Ingredients in belt pouches, Bolts x40, Travel Pack & Rations, Workbook (Contains Crafting Recipes & Spells)

Spell list: Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, Mending, Acid Splash, Mage Armor x1, Expedious Retreat x1, Grease x1, Identify x1, Web x1, Glitterdust x1

Resolve:
Works identically to Evasion, but functions for Will saves.

Armored Mage (Light):
Can cast spells in light armor with no ASF

Craftmanship:
10% less time and cost to create items, no materials lost on failure

Trapworking:
Can use the Disable Device skill on Magic traps and locks

Magus!

Remus Tide
Neutral Good Human (Soldier) Magus 4
Medium Humanoid
39 HP
Initiative +1
Speed 30 ft
Armour Class 18 (+1 BAB, +1 Dex, +4 Armor, +2 Dodge), touch 14, flat-footed 15
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +3/+6
Attack Greatsword +10 (2d6+2) or Dagger +9 (1d4 + 1)
Full Attack Greatsword +10 (2d6+2) or Dagger +9 (1d4 + 1)
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks
Special Qualities
Bloodline: Soldier: Tread BAB as HD for qualifying for feats
Saves Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities Str 17, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills
Athletics (Jump + Climb) +8, Know (Arcana, Local, History) +6, Perception +4, Diplomacy +7, Intimidate +8, Spellcraft +9, Survival +4
Feats
Toughness: Bonus 2 HP per level
Weapon Focus (Greatsword): +1 to attack with Greatswords
Combat Casting: +4 to concentration checks from taking damage

Treasure
Mwk Greatsword, Mwk Chain Shirt, Spellbook, Travel Pack & Rations, Dagger

Spell list: Prestidigitation, Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Magic Missile x1, Enlarge Person x1, Grease x1, Shocking Grasp x1, Touch of Idiocy x1, Blur x1

Maneuvers:
*Stance of Focus (+2 Attack, -2 Damage for weapon attacks) Calculated above
*Nightmare Strike: Strike deals +1d6 damage and on successful CMB check target becomes flatfooted for one round
Douse the Flames: Strike denies target taking AoOs for one round
Stone Bones: Strike grants initiator DR 5/- for one round

Maneuvers:
One expended maneuver of the Magus' choice can be recovered upon successful casting of a spell. The Magus cannot change maneuvers readied in this way.

Armored Mage (Light):
Can cast spells in light armor with no ASF

Spellstrike:
Can deliver Touch and Ranged Touch attack spells via weapon strike.

Might & Magic I:
Gains INT bonus as Dodge bonus to AC

Mettle:
Works identically to Evasion, but functions for Fortitude saves.

Story & Tactics

Kurt and Remus have known each other for some time, and have worked with each other more than once.

Kurt hails from a small village/town with an established means of educating arcane casters, but could not devote himself entirely to these studies and was often torn between these studies and practicing more martial disciplines with the local guard and militia. By the time he (barely) graduated Kurt was a passable warrior, and sent himself on his way around the local countryside taking up risky work that adventurers often do.

Remus on the other hand has spent most of his life at his family's holiday house outside of another small village/town inventing, concocting and tinkering. He occasionally sold his creations to the locals to keep himself financial and has been known to take up advertised jobs for a chance to get out and experience the world and its wonders. But mostly for the money and inspiration for more wacky items to fill his workshop with. Remus always brings along his portable crafting kit for various things he may need to make on the job.

Currently the two have accepted a job to do XYZ, and can likely be encountered en route, stopping off somewhere along the way or waiting at their objective. Their goals may or may not clash with those of the PCs.

The pair always attempt parley first, but should they need to fight, they will almost always pick a time and place they are comfortable doing so, using their buff spells and positioning themselves in order to maximise on their grease, web and Glitterdust spells they cast when initiating combat. During the fight, Kurt will alternate between spells like shocking grasp and Touch of Idiocy delivered through his greatsword and his Nightmare Strike maneuver to bring down opponents as fast as possible.
Remus will support at range with his launcher, using mostly bolts but judiciously using his alchemist fire on any grease present and his flask of acid and other spells if necessary.

If the enemy retreats, the pair will likely not pursue, firing Magic Missiles and bolts to see them off. Unless their opponents have something they want.

Morph Bark
2013-01-13, 05:51 PM
The next session will most likely be next Saturday, as Zenkiki's player is available again after a long hiatus. Pjotr's player will be unavailable, so the baron plot won't be advancing, sadly.

I think I got some good opportunities for two, maybe three of the ones posted so far. :smallsmile:

Draken
2013-01-13, 07:08 PM
Also, one build tells very little about the class, so if you need any npcs, hit me with the overall concept of their abilities and I will build something for you.

Feel free to be obtusely specific too. The class is very flexible.

DracoDei
2013-01-13, 07:16 PM
I'm probably going to be making an enforcer of ethics and morality(either very gentle or very harsh depending on alignment).

Thus I should like to know what alignment you would most need such an NPC for? Thinking a Lawful servant of the Baroness might work, but I may need to know if it should be G/N/E to make the character work.

They will be best out of combat, in a social setting.

Kane0
2013-01-13, 10:12 PM
My two guys are up and ready to go. I don't know how they might be encountered so I made it as versatile as I could.

They should be a nice challenge, but not impossible.

Morph Bark
2013-01-14, 08:37 AM
Thanks, Kane. :smallsmile:

Also, one build tells very little about the class, so if you need any npcs, hit me with the overall concept of their abilities and I will build something for you.

Feel free to be obtusely specific too. The class is very flexible.

Hmmm... well, in that case a couple of them could serve as an enemy party of adventurers? Like a tank, a controller, a healer/buffer and a damage-dealer quatro. What do you think?

I'm probably going to be making an enforcer of ethics and morality(either very gentle or very harsh depending on alignment).

Thus I should like to know what alignment you would most need such an NPC for? Thinking a Lawful servant of the Baroness might work, but I may need to know if it should be G/N/E to make the character work.

They will be best out of combat, in a social setting.

It's not a Grace-Gift, is it? :smalleek:

The Baroness is probably either Lawful Neutral, Neutral, or Neutral Good. I haven't really decided yet, but she borders on both Lawful and Good. She may help the players, but not go out of her way to do so (certainly not anything that'd require her to go away from her town). The two barons who hate Pjotr are likely LE/LN, and the Jotun baron probably CG/CN (but not actively opposing the LE/LN barons, he'd be jovial and good-natured, but lazy).

Draken
2013-01-14, 09:52 AM
Thanks, Kane. :smallsmile:

Hmmm... well, in that case a couple of them could serve as an enemy party of adventurers? Like a tank, a controller, a healer/buffer and a damage-dealer quatro. What do you think?

Sounds like my current party in an IRC campaign. Except we only have three evos, a damage dealer, a tank and a healer. Fourth and fifth characters are a Magical Girl (Selinia's, but Selinia herself is playing our Evo tank) and a swordsage.

I will build the group in a few hours. Might make them all based on Spiderman villains or something similarly amusing.

Ok. Lets do this.

Alexander, The Iron Bull, CR 4
This ogre-like man boasts a pair of bull horns on his head and some rather massive fists, he looks quite angry for no apparent reason.
Medium Humanoid (Human)
True Neutral Soldier Human Evolutionist 4
Init +3; Senses Normal; Listen +1, Spot +1
Languages One language.
AC 21 (+2 Dex, +4 Natural, +5 Chain Shirt), touch 12, flat-footed 19
Damage Reduction 3/magic.
hp 37 (4 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +4
Speed 40 ft.
Melee Gore +9 (1d6+7)
Melee 2 Slams +9 (1d6+5)
Space 5 ft Reach 5 ft
Base Atk +4 Grp +9
Atk Options Goring Charge +9 (2d6+14), Bash +9 (2d6+10)
Abilities Str 20, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Feats Construct Mutator, Mounted Combat, Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Ride-by Attack.
Skills Jump +14, Listen +10, Ride +16 (can take 10 at any time).
Human Bonuses applied to Listen and Ride.
Possessions Chain Shirt +1, other assorted items.
Monster Sage (Ex): Alexander would be very knowledgeable on matters of assorted beasts... If he were particularly knowledgeable about anything at all.

Mutations: Alexander has 15 mutations.
Basic:
Evolve Combat Instinct: 2
Evolve Fortitude: 1
Evolve Reflexes: 1
Evolve Will: 1
Evolve Resilience: 2
Evolve Grace: 1

Innate:
Natural Armor: 2
Natural Weapon: 2 (Gore, Slam)
Powerful Form: 2
Integrated Tools: 1 (Ride)

Extraordinaire:
Bash: 1
Damage Reduction: 1

Supernatural:
-

Spell-like:
-

Psi-like:
-

Teratomorphisms: Alexander has one teratomorphism.
Rank I:
Tauric Body: Alexander still has two legs, but he is quite blocky, like an oversized dwarf.

Rank II:

Rank III:

Rank IV:

Rank V:

Rank VI:

Strategy
Very straightforward. Alexander will try to charge opponents to gore them with his horns and then keep going to be in range to charge again next turn.

If his opponents get close and prevent him from charging, Alexander will switch to bashing, which results in a slight damage decrease.

Once per round, Alexander can use a ride check to prevent a single attack against himself, he can take 10 on this check, for a total result of 26. He is likely to reserve this option to block touch attacks.

Maximillian, The Lightning, CR 4
The man's manic gaze and twitchy movements only keep your attention until the first sparks of electricity jolts off from his body, he keeps pacing around and simply doesn't seen to want to stand still.
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Chaotic Neutral Highlander Human Evolutionist 4
Init +10; Senses Normal; Listen +5, Spot +5, Search +5
Languages Two languages.
AC 21 (+4 Dex, + Natural, +5 Chain Shirt, +2 Dodge), touch 16, flat-footed 15
Uncanny Dodge.
Energy Resistance Electricity 5
hp 29 (4 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +4
Speed 40 ft. (30 base + 10 enhancement)
Melee 2 Unarmed Touches +3 (2d6 Electricity)
Ranged Elemental Lance +9 (60 feet range, 4d6 Electricity)
Space 5 ft Reach 5 ft
Base Atk +4 Grp +3
Atk Options Breath Weapon (20 ft cone, 4d6 electricity, DC 16), Shockwave (10 feet radius, 1d4+4, Reflex DC 16 and resisted Dexterity check, Maximillian has a +6 bonus to this check)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feats Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Elemental Mutator, Point Blank Shot, Improved Initiative, Run (B).
Skills Balance +15, Escape Artist +13, Knowledge (The Planes) +8 (+12 to identify elementals and outsiders), Tumble +15
Human Bonus applied to Balance and Tumble.
Monster Sage (Ex): Maximillian knows a lot about planar creatures, I suppose.

Mutations: Maximillian has 15 mutations.
Basic:
Evolve Combat Instinct: 2

Innate:
Evolve Grace: 2
Extra Sense: 2

Extraordinaire:
Energy resistance: 1 (Electricity 5)

Supernatural:
Elemental Attack: 2 (Unarmed Strike: Electricity x2)
Elemental Lance: 1
Shockwave: 1
Speed of the Wind: 1

Spell-like:
-

Psi-like:
-

Teratomorphisms: Maximillian has one teratomorphism.
Rank I:
Heart of Air: Static energy arces visibly along Maximillian's body.

Rank II:

Rank III:

Rank IV:

Rank V:

Rank VI:

Strategy
Maximillian will move at least 35 feet on every round to keep Heart of Air active (otherwise his ac drops by 2), he is primarily a ranged attacker and will try to stay within 60 feet of his target to pelt him with Elemental Lances.

If an opponent enters melee range, Maximillian will use his Breath Weapon on the enemy and then release a shockwave (which is a swift action) before dashing out of melee range, if his breath weapon is on cooldown, he will use shockwave, run out and shoot an elemental lance.

COMING SOON.

Kent 'Enigma' Grey, CR 4
A regal man with an air of mistery.
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Highborn Human Evolutionist 4
Init +8; Senses Normal; Listen +0, Spot +0
Languages Two relevant languages.
AC 17 (+2 Dex, +5 Chain Shirt +1), touch 12, flat-footed 15
hp 29 (4 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +3
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Unarmed Strike +1 (1d3-1 damage)
Ranged: Solar Blast +4 (4d4* damage + blindness), Web +4 (entangle)
*4d8 damage to undead and light-sensitive creatures, 4d12 damage to light-sensitive undead.
Space 5 ft Reach 5 ft
Base Atk +2 Grp +1
Atk Options Solar Blast, Web.
Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 20
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Initiative, Combat Expertise, Plant Mutator, Great Changer.
Skills: Bluff +16, Disguise+16 (+26 if using Change Shape), Knowledge (Local) +8 (+12 to identify creatures), Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) +8 (+12 to identify... hmm... Humanoid snobles? Kind of a stretch but should apply).
*Human Skills: Disguise and Bluff
Possessions +1 Chain Shirt and some other crap.
Monster Sage (Ex): Kent knows a lot about humanoids of many kinds.

Mutations: has 20 mutations.
Basic:
Evolve Talent - 1 (Improved Initiative)
Evolve Fortitude - 1
Evolve Reflexes - 1
Evolve Will - 1

Innate:
Leaves - 1
Nimble Form - 2
Superior Grace - 2

Extraordinaire:
Fast Healing - 1
Fragrance (Plant) - 1
Nourishment - 2
Stench - 2
Web - 1

Supernatural:
Change Shape - 2
Charm - 1
Solar Blast - 1

Spell-like:
-

Psi-like:
-

Teratomorphisms: Kent has one rank one teratomorphism.
Rank I:
Extra Mutations: Kent has three additional mutations.

Rank II:

Rank III:

Rank IV:

Rank V:

Rank VI:

Strategy
Ok, so, on his own, this guy is a pushover.

Actually, pushover doesn't cut it. He is pretty much roadkill.

He becomes very useful with allies nearby however.

First of all, enemies (everyone he doesn't bother to inoculate, actually) near Kent here take a -1 penalty to all saves and all constitution, dexterity, wisdom and charisma based skills. He is a consumate liar and excellent at disguising himself, so he works pretty well as an infiltrator of some sort too. But will likely not be lowering fort saves and constitution checks/skill checks when infiltrating, because while that effect is up, anyone nearby also needs to save or be sickened for a minute.

In combat, Kent will try to Charm opponents to take them out of combat. The DC against this effect is 17. He will try to stay close enough only to affect his opponents with his fragrance/stench mutations. Otherwise he steers clear. He will also try to tangle his opponents with web, specially any of them who look like they might be able to charge his squishy ass.

If the charming and webbing does not work, he will proceed to use Solar Blast to try to blind his opponents (DC 14 for the blind). If he is not in a decently illuminated area, each solar blast forces a fort save against fatigue, at a whoping DC of 4. That is, indeed, a four.

Also, as long as he is charming and not webbing or solar blasting, he will try keep combat expertise up for an extra 2 to ac. This is not included in the combat stats because those assume he has already stopped trying to charm and started shooting the sticky white stuff all over the enemy party.

If the rest of his group goes under, he beats it to the tune of Michael Jackson and if possible shapeshifts and pretends to be a kidnapped victim or whatever.

Krastinov,The Hunter , CR 4
There appears to be something inside the shadows ahead.
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Saltskin Human Evolutionist 4
Init +; Senses Uncanny Dodge; Listen +11, Spot +11
Languages Any two.
AC 18 (+5 Dex, +3 Studded Leather Armor), touch 15, flat-footed 13
Resistances: Negative Energy 5, Positive Energy 5.
hp 33 (4 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +3
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Fist +4 (1d3)
Ranged: Two Spines +10 (1d8+1 damage, plus 1d6+2 negative energy, plus 1 Con and 1 Dex damage).
Space 5 ft Reach 5 ft
Base Atk +4 Grp +4
Atk Options Spines.
Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8
Feats Improved Unarmed Strike, Undead Mutator, Point Blank Shot, Great Changer, Precise Shot.
Skills Hide +196,Listen +11, Move Silently +19, Spot +11
Human skills: Hide, Move Silently
Possessions: Necklace of Natural Weapons +1, Studded Leather Armor, assorted crap.
Monster Sage (Ex): Krastinov isn't very good at identifying anything, truth be said. He just kills them.

Mutations: has 20 mutations.
Basic:
Evolve Combat Instinct - 2
Evolve Fortitude - 1
Evolve Reflexes - 1
Evolve Will - 1
Evolve Talent - 1 (Precise shot)

Innate:
Chameleonic - 1
Extra Senses - 2
Nimble Form - 2

Extraordinaire:
Quills - 1
Spines - 2
Barbs - 1
Negaton Shield - 1

Supernatural:
Negaton Touch - 1
Ability Damage - 2
Gloom - 1

Spell-like:
-

Psi-like:
-

Teratomorphisms: has one teratomorphism.
Rank I:
Extra Mutations

Rank II:

Rank III:

Rank IV:

Rank V:

Rank VI:

Strategy
Played as intended, Krastinov is a TPK waiting to happen.

Gloom surrounds him with permanent darkness. This means he can always hide. And he is pretty good at hiding too.

His strategy is simple. Pepper the enemy with spines. Each standard action means two spines at one target or two targets get one spine each, but focus fire tends to be best.

When a target is hit by a spine, he takes a -1 penalty to attacks, saves and skills until it is removed, which deals a bit of extra damage. They also take dex and con damage, which means that the next shots will land more easily and take a chunk off of a lower health pool.

After shooting his two spines, he can run out of sight/range/whatever, and keep at it, he will be very difficult at this level, given an optimal position if solo. With his group, he is a primary threat and probably calls the shots on who is being focused to die.

DracoDei
2013-01-14, 03:24 PM
It's not a Grace-Gift, is it? :smalleek:
Nope, Guardian of Minds, my NPC class. Will have a one or two custom magic items, simply because they make sense for his job and are weak/interesting enough that they shouldn't give you any problems.

What having been said, why the :smalleek: ? The complexity of Grace-Gifts in play?

The Baroness is probably either Lawful Neutral, Neutral, or Neutral Good. I haven't really decided yet, but she borders on both Lawful and Good. She may help the players, but not go out of her way to do so (certainly not anything that'd require her to go away from her town). The two barons who hate Pjotr are likely LE/LN, and the Jotun baron probably CG/CN (but not actively opposing the LE/LN barons, he'd be jovial and good-natured, but lazy).
I'll make him Lawful Neutral then, so you can slip him in the most places. It wouldn't be that hard to change.

DracoDei
2013-01-14, 05:46 PM
This is my first time typing up this format of stat-block. Tell me if I did anything wrong.

THIS IS NOT THE VERSION TO BE USED FOR PLAYTEST. THIS IS THE ORIGINAL VERSION.

Sharum Wheat, ECL 5, CR 5

The Backstory
Sharum was born of humble birth to peasant farmers. In her early teens she discovered a gift for talking to people, and started to see strange colors around some people. Concerned, she went to a local cleric to see what might be going on. He quickly recognized her talent, and offered her and her parents to give her a stipend to live near the gaurd-post nearest the marketplace so she could help gently guide those who strayed back to the true path. In awestruck fear she quickly accepted, lest the gods take their wrath upon her for wasting the rare gift they had bestowed upon her.

In fact so diligently did she apply herself over the years that many years later she was noticed by the ruler of the area she dwelt in and offered service by their side to measure the hearts of those who would speak to him. She accepted this, once again afraid of wasting the gift she had been given, and bid a tearful farewell to everything she knew. Several more years later she is an accomplished diplomat and her ability to read hearts has only increased. Many have tried to subvert her with sly words or subtle magics, to date, all have failed. She was, however, once briefly tricked by someone who had drunk a Philter of Glibness.

Her greatest limitation is her lack of facility with languages.

She also feels a smoldering potential within her for even greater things, but it seems locked away behind a barrier that only gravest need may unlock. She has read stories of her kind performing great deeds in crises, and suspects the nature of this power, but does not know for sure.

The Build
The Basics
Medium Humanoid (human), LN
Female Human Guardian of Minds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=121215)
Build progression: Guardian of Minds 5 Advancement: More of the same.

Senses
Senses: Listen +2, Search +0, Sense Motive +15(+17 when under effects of Incense Burner of the Diplomat), Spot +2

Defenses
Armor Class: 17(+1 Dex, +2 Masterwork Shield*, +4 Masterwork Chain Shirt*), touch 11, flat-footed 16*
*These items may not normally be worn at court, so her AC may vary.
Hit points: 22 (32 while under the effects of Overt Heroics)
Saves: Normal: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10[+11 with Incense Burner of the Diplomat]

Overt Heroics: Fort +13, Ref +6, Will +12[+13 with Incense Burner of the Diplomat]

Immune to Mundane Fear normally. Immune to ALL Fear when under either option of Moral Champion (Overt Heroics or Subvert the Invader)
Offenses
Melee: Masterwork Cold Iron Morning Star +2 Melee (1d8-1)

Overt Heroics: Masterwork Cold Iron Morning Star +7 Melee (1d8+1)
Ranged: Masterwork Light Crossbow +4 Ranged [80'] (1d8, 19-20)

Overt Heroics: Masterwork Light Crossbow +4 Ranged [80'] (1d8, 19-20) (1d8+1)
Bolts: 20 Normal, 10 Cold Iron, 10 Alchemical Silver, 5 Bolts +1
Attack options: None unusual
BAB: +2 (+5 Overt Heroics); Grapple: +1 (+6 Overt Heroics)

Ability scores: Str 8 (Overt Heroics 12), Dex 13, Con 12(Overt Heroics 16), Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16
Flaw: None
Feats: Negotiator, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Sense Motive)
Skills:

[]'s are additional modifier when under effects of Incense Burner of the Diplomat
Normal:
Bluff +3[+2], Diplomacy +13[+2]/+15[+2] when Knowledge{Nobility and Royalty} is relevant, Disable Device n/a(+5), Gather Information +8[+10], Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) +8, Knowledge(Religion) +6, Intimidate +8, Sense Motive +15[+17]
Subvert the Invader:
Bluff +8[+2], Climb +4, Diplomacy +13[+2]/+15[+2] when Knowledge{Nobility and Royalty} is relevant, Disable Device +7, Gather Information +8[+10], Hide +6, Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) +8, Knowledge(Religion) +6, Intimidate +8, Move Silently +6, Open Lock +7, Sense Motive +15[+17], Swim +4
((Note to self: Have Subvert The Invader apply to Forgery when re-writing class))

Equipment
Armor(Not normally worn at court): Masterwork Chain Shirt, Masterwork Large Steel Shield
Weapons(GMs discretion what if anything carried at court): Masterwork Cold Iron Morning Star, Masterwork Light Crossbow (20 Normal Bolts, 10 Cold Iron Bolts, 10 Alchemical Silver Bolts, 5 Bolts +1)
Worn items:
Headband of Mind-Shielding (Never removed, even when sleeping or bathing, minor magics keep area under it clean and prevent rash)
Continuous function item as per the second property of Protection from Chaos(and, for references purposes, Protection from Evil), slightly rephrased for clarity this give us: Blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for as long as the item is worn (and not surpressed, for instance by Dispel Magic, or Anti-Magic Field). If the itme is removed or surpressed before the effect granting mental control ends, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This effect works regardless of alignment. Market Price: 1,000 GP

Cloak of Resistance +1*, Nobles Outfit, Signet Ring, 175 GP worth of jewelry (Two spare Nobel's Outfits and 3 Traveler's Outfits in Wardrobe in room).

*If you find her over-equipped, this would be the item to drop.
Tools:
Incense Burner of the Diplomat: Once per week, when special incenses worth 50 gp are burned within this incense burner and a single individual spends 8 hours breathing the smoke nearby, they are granted a +2 resistance bonus to will saves, and a +2 competence bonus to the following skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive.

The effects last 4 hours after the 8 hour activation period is completed.
Market Price: 750 GP

1 potion of Cure Serious Wounds, 1 potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, 3 blocks of 50 GP incense for burner, Masterwork Thieves Tools some of which (mostly the lock-picks) are hidden in secret pockets sewn into all clothing... only one set of tools (must be moved between sets being worn), Sealing Wax, 20 sheets of fine paper, 3 vials black ink, 1 vial red ink, 5 quill pens, wooden writing board with, ink-holder and decoratively carved back surface (Only when expecting to need to write something when away from a desk, value 2 GP), 2 scroll cases.

Special Abilities
Aura(Ex): Aura of Law as per 5th level cleric of a Lawful god.

Detect Alignment(Sp): Can use Detect Law and Detect Chaos at-will. Caster level 5.

Moral Champion(Su): (Slightly Edited from original version)Choose one of the following each time you activate this ability:
Subvert the Invader: Gain class level as competence bonus to Bluff, Climb, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, and Swim. You also are under the effects of Undetectable Alignment. All of these effects last a number of days equal to class level and you may use them untrained in that period. This version of this ability may be activated as a Full-Round action.
Overt Heroics: BAB changes to Full, Fortitude saves to Good, and gain benefits (but NOT drawbacks) of Barbarian rage for 1 minute per class level. Fatigued for 24 hours afterward. This version of this ability may be activated as an immediate action.
More specifically this has the following effects: the Guardian of Minds temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarian’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when her Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) Overt Heroics lasts 5 minutes (1 minute per class level). A Guardian of Minds may prematurely end her Overt Heroics. At the end of Overt Heroics, the Guardian of Minds loses the Overt Heroics modifiers and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the next 24 hours (unless she is a 20th-level Guardian of Minds, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

Aura of Courage (Su): Immune to mundane fear. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against mundane fear effects. While her moral champion ability is active, this also applies to magical fear. This ability functions while the guardian of minds is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.

Divine Grace (Su): Gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws. This does not stack with the similar class features of a paladin, crusader, black-guard, or other such class(es).

Tactics
In a straight up fight she prefers to hang back and use crossbow bolts to support the royal guards. If melee seems unavoidable she will take the time to equip her shield and draw her morning star before engaging. Given the protected life she leads, any encounter that challenges very much at all will lead her to activate the Overt Heroics sub-ability of Moral Champion if she has it available.

At court she will wait until her ruler directs her to speak openly, and will simply whisper to her ruler if she has some insight to the situation. She uses her two SLAs freely.

When mingling she is much more active, and is not afraid to insinuate herself into the conversations of others. She is only slightly more restrained in her use of her SLAs, and considers any objection to this to be a sign of either a lack of understanding of the realities of life, or a weak sense of ethics.

Should the situation warrant it, she is not afraid to get back to her roots and go out among the common folk with fancy hat to hide her jeweled protective headgear.

She saves her incense burner for negotiations critical enough that she is reasonably sure she will not have a more pressing need within the week. A local perfumer can make the incense blocks on reasonably short notice, so she does not waste her employer's funds by keeping too many on hand at once.

It would take a great emergency for her to manifest her Subvert the Invader ability, but something as mechanically simple as a great enough need for a single Bluff check could qualify.

Guardian of Minds: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=121215
Headband of Mind-shielding and Incense Burner of the Diplomat are original to this post.

Eldan
2013-01-15, 07:16 AM
I could throw up a few Arcane casters if you want, using my system. Sorcerers or wizards and of pretty much any lore specialization. I know them well enough that I can do it pretty quickly. Unless you think they aren't quite interesting enough. It's more of a fix than an original homebrew, after all, even if they can throw the odd curveball with their arcana.

JeminiZero
2013-01-16, 09:48 AM
Let me see if I got this right. Feel free to comment if you have any suggestions or spot any mistakes.

Clarissa Sangfroid, Dhampir Stalker. ECL 4/CR 4
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc220/wickedsiren69/Dhampir_900.jpg
The woman before you mostly appears human... but her ivory skin is far too deathly pale. Scarlet hair adorns her head, that reminds you of silk soaked in blood. Tight studded leather clings to her lithe figure, and a heavy cape hangs over her back. She wields a blade in each hand, and several more spares hang from her belt.

Clarissa primarily works as a mercenary, fighting for gold. Usually she serves as a bounty hunter, stalking and taking down wanted criminals with prices on their heads. She might also be hired as a guard for a merchant caravan, or some important visitor. Your players might encounter her if they were hired for the same job... or if they managed to incur bounties for their deaths.

Lawful Neutral Human Trissociate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234951) 4
Size/Type (Subtype): Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d6 + 8 Con bonus + 4 Stalker Bonus (28 hp)
Initiative: +3
Armour Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 Mwk Studded Leather), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Mwk Dragonfang Shortsword +7 Melee (1d6+3/19-20/×2) [+1 Acid]
Natural Weapon: Slam +6 Melee (1d6)
Full Attack (1 Shortsword): Mwk Dragonfang Shortsword +7 Melee (1d6+3/19-20/×2) [+1 Acid] and Slam +1 Melee (1d6)
Full Attack (1 Shortsword + 1 Dagger): Mwk Dragonfang Shortsword +5 Melee (1d6+3/19-20/×2) [+1 Acid] and Cold Iron Dagger +4 Melee (1d4+3/19-20/×2) (Additionally, the Dagger is usually pre-poisoned with Greenblood Oil)
Full Attack (2 Shortswords): Mwk Dragonfang Shortsword +5 Melee (1d6+3/19-20/×2) [+1 Acid] and Mundane Crystal Shortsword +4 Melee (1d6+3/19-20/×2)
Special Attacks: Sublime Maneuvers, Sorcerer Spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Fast Healing 1 (Up to 40% of max HP or 11 HP), Fortification 20%, DR 2/Silver and Magic, Half-Undead Immunities, Half-Undead Bonus to Saves
Other Class Features: Mastery Points: 4, Trissociate Bonus +1, Average Skill: Tumble, Sublime Points (Recovery): 12 (2)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 13
Skills: Survival 7 (+6), Spot 7 (+6), Concentration 7 (+9), Tumble 7 (+10), Hide 7 (+10), Move Silently 7 (+10), Jump 7 (+10 including Boots of Agile Leaping), Balance 5 (+8)
Skill Tricks: Extreme Leap
Feats: B: Track, H: Two Weapon Fighting, 1: Shadow Blade, 3: Weapon Finesse

Project Epsilon Stat Block

For the Project Epsilon campaign setting:

She would best be served by the Saltskin bloodline to boost Dex (and hence AC, To Hit, Damage and skills)
Her Versatility selected skills for +2 bonus would be: Jump and Concentration.
Her selected martial weapon would likely be a ranged weapon. E.g. a longbow.

This modified stat block reflects these changes:

Size/Type (Subtype): Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 4d6 + 8 Con bonus + 4 HP/HD Stalker Bonus (28 hp)
Initiative: +4
Armour Class: 17 (+4 Dex, +3 Mwk Studded Leather), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Mwk Dragonfang Shortsword +8 Melee (1d6+4/19-20/×2) [+1 Acid]
Natural Weapon: Slam +7 Melee (1d6)
Full Attack (1 Shortsword): Mwk Dragonfang Shortsword +8 Melee (1d6+4/19-20/×2) [+1 Acid] and Slam +2 Melee (1d6)
Full Attack (1 Shortsword + 1 Dagger): Mwk Dragonfang Shortsword +6 Melee (1d6+4/19-20/×2) [+1 Acid] and Cold Iron Dagger +5 Melee (1d4+4/19-20/×2) (Additionally, the Dagger is usually pre-poisoned with Greenblood Oil)
Full Attack (2 Shortswords): Mwk Dragonfang Shortsword +6 Melee (1d6+4/19-20/×2) [+1 Acid] and Mundane Crystal Shortsword +5 Melee (1d6+4/19-20/×2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Sublime Maneuvers, Sorcerer Spells
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, Fast Healing 1 (Up to 40% of max HP or 11 HP), Fortification 20%, DR 2/Silver and Magic, Half-Undead Immunities, Half-Undead Bonus to Saves, Hold Breath (4x Con score)
Other Class Features: Mastery Points: 4, Trissociate Bonus +1, Average Skill: Tumble, Sublime Points (Recovery): 12 (2)
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha 13
Skills: Survival 7 (+6), Spot 7 (+6), Concentration 7 (+11 including Versatility), Tumble 7 (+11), Hide 7 (+11), Move Silently 7 (+11), Jump 7 (+13 including Boots of Agile Leaping and Versatility), Balance 5 (+8)
Skill Tricks: Extreme Leap
Feats: B: Track, H: Two Weapon Fighting, 1: Shadow Blade, 3: Weapon Finesse

Stat Block Details

Treasure

Healing Belt [MiC] (750 gp)
Masterwork Acid Dragonfang Shortsword [Draconomicon] (610 gp)
Boots of Agile Leaping [MiC] (600 gp)
Runestave (Spells: Jump 3/day) [MiC, Online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070216a)] (400 gp)
Safewing Emblem [MiC, One Use Featherfall] (250 gp)
Masterwork Studded leather (175 gp)
Greenblood Oil (3x100 gp) 3 bottles
Auran Mask [CM] (60 gp)
Silver Shortsword (30 gp)
Torch Bug Paste [Complete Scoundrel] (2x25 gp) 2 Bladders
Locked Gauntlet [+10 resist disarm] (8 gp)
Mundane Crystal Shortsword [Use Normal Iron if Crystal not in play] (2x10 gp) 2 Backups
Cold Iron Dagger (2x4 gp) 2 Backups

Total: 3,261 gp (Add 39 gp in coins to give 3,300 NPC WBL)
Trissociate Mastery System
Mastery Points (Ex): A Trissociate has a pool of Mastery points, which he can use to augment his abilities in various ways (depending on his selected Focus and Associations). A Trissociates has a maximum number of Mastery points as listed in the table above. He can restore 1/8 of his pool (rounded up) for each hour of rest he takes. Hence he can completely restore his pool by resting for 8 hours, but even if his rest is interrupted, his Mastery points will be partially restored. Unless otherwise stated, any usage of his Mastery points is considered an Extraordinary ability. (Clarissa's currently has 4 Mastery Points)

Mastery Meditation (Ex): A Trissociate can focus his mind to replenish the various spent abilities he gains from his Associations, usually (but not always) spending Mastery points in the process. Entering Mastery Meditation simply requires 5 minutes of concentration. Mastery Meditation ends when the Trissociate wants it to, although it also automatically ends whenever the Trissociate takes damage.

While in Mastery Meditation, a Trissociate can freely channel as many Mastery points as he posesses, to recovering his Association's abilities. He cannot willingly move from his position, although he can be moved by others (e.g. if he is sitting on a cart), and as such is considered flat-footed while Meditating. Otherwise he can take any action he normally could, including casting spells.

Trissociate Bonus (Ex): Many Mastery Talents (both learnt and automatic) provide a numerical bonus to a particular ability. The numerical bonus is based on the Trissociate bonus, which gradually improves as indicated, when the Trissociate advances. (Clarissa's Trissociate Bonus is currently +1)

Learnt Mastery Talents (Total: 1)
Save Boost: A Trissociate may spend 1 Mastery point as a free action to add his Trissociate bonus to all his saving throws. He can activate this talent even when it is not his turn. The effect lasts for 1 minute/Trissociate level.

Average Skill (Ex): A Trissociate may select any one skill on his class skill list. Henceforth he can always take 10 on any skill check based off that skill, even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so. This is similiar to the Rogue's Skill Mastery Special Ability, except that it only applies to one skill. This skill selection is permanent and may not be changed barring special and intensive retraining (read: DM fiat). At each additional Focus Feature, he can pick one additional skill to which he can apply Average Skill.

Clarissa has the following Average Skills: Tumble.

Sublime Maneuvers
Clarissa initiates Martial Adept Maneuvers at IL4. Her maneuvers are drawn from the Tiger Claw and Shadow Hand disciplines
1 Stance Known: Child of Shadow
3 Maneuvers Known (All readied): Shadow Blade Technique, Sudden Leap, Shadow Jaunt

Sublime Point Pool: You have a pool of Sublime Points, the maximum size of which is detailed in the table above. When you initiate a Sublime association maneuver, you must spend a number of Sublime Points equal to 3 times the maneuver's level (e.g. a Level 1 maneuver would cost 3 Sublime Points to use). You cannot initiate a maneuver if the Sublime Points spent would bring your pool below 0. The Maneuver is not expended, and is ready to initiate again the next round (provided you have the Sublime Points to support it). Your Sublime Point Pool gradually replenishes itself. Once per round, at the start of your turn, add the indicated Recovery number to your Sublime Point Pool. You cannot exceed your pool's maximum size.

Clarissa's current pool has a maximum size of 12, and a recovery rate of 2.

Recover Sublime Points: Without needing to enter Mastery Meditation, as a free action, you may spend Mastery points to regain Sublime Points. Each Mastery point you spend provides you with 3 Sublime Points. You still cannot exceed your pool's maximum size.

Sorcerer Spells
Clarissa casts Sorcerer Spells at CL4
Power Points: 5 Base + 2 Int Bonus
Unique Power Per Day: 3
Power List
{table]Spell Level | Spells Per Day | Spells Known | Spell List
0th | 2 base | 4 | Prestidigitation, Far Hand, Ghost Sound, Acid Splash
1st | 1 base + 1 bonus Cha | 1 | Shield, Jump (from Runestave)
[/table]

Recover Spell (Sorcerer): You may recover an expended spell slot as if you did not cast it. This is a supernatural ability. By entering Mastery Meditation and spending Mastery points equal to the spell slot's level, you may restore an already cast spell. Level 0 spells cost no Mastery points to restore in this manner. If you are a prepared spellcaster, you may not change the spell that was prepared in that slot (this does not apply to spontaneous spellcasters).

You can only use this to recover spell slots gained from the specified Trissociate Association. It cannot be applied to spell slots gained from other classes or Associations (although they may their own equivalent of this talent). You may accelerate the conversion process by spending more Mastery points. By spending Mastery points equal to double the spell slot's level, you may recover that spell slot as a free action, even when you are not in Mastery Meditation. Level 0 spells cost 1 Mastery point to restore in this manner.

Half-Undead Immunities (Ex): Immune to the following

Non-lethal damage
Ability Damage: Constitution
Sleep Effects

Half-Undead Bonus to Saves (Ex): +4 to Saves vs the following

Poison
Fatigue and exhaustion
Disease
Paralysis
Energy drain
Stunning
Death from massive damage
Death effects

Undead Faster Healing: This ability can be triggered by spending 1 Mastery point as a free action and does not require Mastery Meditation. It lasts for 5 rounds, during which it increases your Undead Fast Healing amount by half your Trissociate level (round down, minimum 1). Additionally, during this time, you can Fast Heal up to 100% of your HP, regardless of your normal limit.

E.g. Clarissa has a total of 28 HP. Normally her Fast Healing 1 can take her to a maximum of 40% of his total HP or 11.2, which is rounded down to 11. But She can spend 1 Mastery point to trigger Undead Faster Healing, which increases her Fast Healing by half her Trissociate level (in this case +2), to a total of 3. And she can Fast Heal up to her full 28 HP.

Tactics
Clarissa typically uses Track to follow her quarry. She will try to use her high stealth to sneak up on her opponents, in order to get the drop on them. If given the opportunity, before starting a fight, she will try to do the following to prepare (none of these are included in stat block above):

If her target is susceptible to poison, she will coat her Masterwork Dragonfang dagger with Greenblood Oil (Injury Poison, DC 13, 1 Con/1d2 Con). She uses this since she is immune to Constitution damage.
Cast Jump (from Runestave, +10 to Jump)
Cast Shield (+4 AC)

If she does not have time for all of this, she will prioritize her first round to just casting Shield, before drawing her secondary dagger (to resist disarm, she will hold her Masterwork Dragonfang Dagger in a locked gauntlet, but she needs her other hand free to cast spells).

Even without all the preparation above, she will usually have 2 of her cold iron secondary daggers pre-coated with Greenblood Oil at all times. She can draw one, use it to poison her target, drop it, and then draw the next poisoned one. Because these daggers are fairly cheap, she does not worry about leaving them behind if she has to flee.

In combat, Clarissa is always in a shadow hand stance to benefit from Shadow Blade, which lets her add her Dex bonus to her dagger damage. She can use Average Skill to take 10 to tumble to avoid Attacks of Opportunity without needing to roll. She can initiate Sudden Leap every round, for the first few rounds, at the cost of depleting her Sublime Point pool. Combining Sudden Leap and Tumble afford her a lot of tactical movement, but even if she does not need to get anywhere, she will still try and Sudden Leap+Tumble at least 10 feet to gain concealment with Child of Shadow. (This is a DC 20 Jump check, which she can automatically pass if she has Jump spell active.)

If facing invisible enemies, she will use Torchbug Paste to highlight them with Faerie Fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/faerieFire.htm). If targetted by enemy spells, she relies on Save Boost talent where appropriate. If tripped, she can use her Boots of Agile Leaping to stand up as a swift action. If grappled or trapped in durational area of effect spell/power, she will try to use shadow jaunt to escape. When she takes some damage, she will quickly trigger Undead Faster Healing to gain Fast Healing 2 to full HP. If despite that, her hit points drop too low, she may activate her belt of healing.

If the fight goes badly, she will try to flee. She will again use Sudden Leap to her advantage, as well as teleport using Shadow Jaunt into hard-to-follow places.

Miscellaneous Notes

A Stalker focus Trissociate is proficient with all simple weapons, and 1 martial weapon of her choosing. She is also proficient with light armor, and with all shields (except for Tower Shields). Clarissa has chosen Shortswords as her Stalker martial weapon.
16 Dexterity above is 15 base +1 ability score increase at level 4.
I think Her Slam attack is finessable, but not Shadow Blade applicable. If you disagree, add +3 damage to her Slam damage.
Among the feats listing, "B" indicates bonus Trissociate feat, "H" indicates bonus human feat, and numbers indicate the level when the feat was taken.

Advancement: Dhampir Stalker (Based on the Trissociate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234951) class)

Trissociate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234951) (Stalker focus: Sublime (Point Pool), Half-Undead, Sorcerer)
Hit Die: D6 (Additionally Stalker focus gives +1 HP per Trissociate level)

Class Feature Progression
Level Highest Maneuver Level Maneuvers Known Stances Known Sublime Point Pool Maximum (Recovery) Undead Fortification Undead Damage Reduction Undead Fast Healing (Max HP) So0 So1 So2 So3 So4 So5 So6 So7 So8 So9 Special
1 1 2 1 3 (1) - - - 1/1 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Mastery Meditation, Armored Caster (Light), Learnt Mastery Talent 1, Undead Bonus to Saves
2 1 2 1 6 (1) 10% 1/Silver and Magic 1 (20%) 2/3 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Immunity to non-lethal damage, Slam Attack, Darkvision 60 ft
3 2 3 1 9 (2) 10% 1/Silver and Magic 1 (20%) 2/4 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Focus Feature 1
4 2 3 1 12 (2) 20% 2/Silver and Magic 1 (40%) 2/4 1/1 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Ability Damage Immunity 1, Immunity to Sleep Effects
5 3 4 2 15 (3) 20% 2/Silver and Magic 1 (40%) 3/4 1/2 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Learnt Mastery Talent 2
6 3 4 2 18 (3) 30% 3/Silver and Magic 1 (60%) 3/4 1/2 1/1 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Ability Damage Immunity 2, Immunity to Poison
7 4 5 2 21 (4) 30% 3/Silver and Magic 1 (60%) 4/4 1/2 1/2 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Focus Feature 2
8 4 5 2 24 (4) 40% 4/Silver and Magic 1 (80%) 4/4 1/2 1/2 1/1 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Ability Damage Immunity 3, Immunity to Disease
9 5 6 3 27 (5) 40% 4/Silver and Magic 1 (80%) 4/4 2/2 1/2 1/2 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Learnt Mastery Talent 3
10 5 6 3 30 (5) 50% 5/Silver and Magic 1 (100%) 4/4 2/2 1/2 1/2 1/1 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Ability Drain Immunity 1, Immunity to Fatigue and Exhaustion
11 6 7 3 33 (6) 50% 5/Silver and Magic 1 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 -/- -/- -/- -/- -/- Focus Feature 3
12 6 7 3 36 (6) 60% 6/Silver and Magic 2 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 1/1 -/- -/- -/- -/- Ability Drain Immunity 2, Immunity to Energy Drain
13 7 8 3 39 (7) 60% 6/Silver and Magic 2 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 -/- -/- -/- -/- Learnt Mastery Talent 4
14 7 8 3 42 (7) 70% 7/Silver and Magic 4 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 1/1 -/- -/- -/- Ability Drain Immunity 3, Immunity to Paralysis
15 8 9 4 45 (8) 70% 7/Silver and Magic 4 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 -/- -/- -/- Focus Feature 4
16 8 9 4 48 (8) 80% 8/Silver and Magic 6 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 1/1 -/- -/- Ability Drain Immunity 4, Immunity to Death from Massive Damage
17 9 10 4 51 (9) 80% 8/Silver and Magic 6 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 -/- -/- Learnt Mastery Talent 5
18 9 10 4 54 (9) 90% 9/Silver and Magic 8 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 1/1 -/- Ability Drain Immunity 5, Immunity to Stunning
19 9 11 4 60 (10) 90% 9/Silver and Magic 8 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 -/- Focus Feature 5
20 9 11 4 60 (10) 100% 10/Silver and Magic 10 (100%) 4/4 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 2/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 Ability Drain Immunity 6, Immunity to Death Effects, Timeless Body

Other Progression
Level Base Attack Bonus Reflex Good Save Poor Save Mastery Points Trissociate Bonus
1 +0 +2 +2 +0 1 1
2 +1 +3 +3 +0 2 1
3 +2 +3 +3 +1 3 1
4 +3 +4 +4 +1 4 1
5 +3 +4 +4 +1 5 2
6 +4 +5 +5 +2 6 2
7 +5 +5 +5 +2 7 2
8 +6/+1 +6 +6 +2 8 2
9 +6/+1 +6 +6 +3 9 3
10 +7/+2 +7 +7 +3 10 3
11 +8/+3 +7 +7 +3 11 3
12 +9/+4 +8 +8 +4 12 3
13 +9/+4 +8 +8 +4 13 4
14 +10/+5 +9 +9 +4 14 4
15 +11/+6/+1 +9 +9 +5 15 4
16 +12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +5 17 4
17 +12/+7/+2 +10 +10 +5 19 5
18 +13/+8/+3 +11 +11 +6 21 5
19 +14/+9/+4 +11 +11 +6 23 5
20 +15/+10/+5 +12 +12 +6 25 5

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level): With Skill Category focus, all skills are class skills.

Sublime (Point Pool) Skills: Add Martial Lore and the respective key skills of your 2 chosen disciplines to your Trissociate class skill list.

Sorcerer Skills: Add Spellcraft to your Trissociate class skill list.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Stalker focus Trissociate is proficient with all simple weapons, and 1 martial weapon of his choosing. He is also proficient with light armor, and with all shields (except for Tower Shields).

Special (Skill): You choose may choose to gain either Trapfinding (as the Rogue class feature), or the Track feat on level 1. This choice once made, is permanent. (Not included in the table above)

Focus Feature (Skill): Whenever you gain a Focus Feature, you may select any feat that you qualify for, which falls under one of the following categories:
*Any feat that provides a bonus to one or more skills (including skill focus and the skill affinity feats)
*Darkstalker (Lords of Madness)
*Certain Associate Feats, such as Insightful Binder feat for the Binder Associate
*Alternatively, you may select Average Skill (see below)

Average Skill:
Requirements: Skill Category Focus Trissociate
Special: This can only be taken as a Focus Feature, and cannot be bought using normal character feats.
Benefit: A Trissociate may select any one skill on his class skill list. Henceforth he can always take 10 on any skill check based off that skill, even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so. This is similiar to the Rogue's Skill Mastery Special Ability, except that it only applies to one skill. This skill selection is permanent and may not be changed barring special and intensive retraining (read: DM fiat).
Special: This feat can be selected multiple times. Each time it applies to a new skill.

Maneuvers: Pick any 2 disciplines. If the discipline you selected requires a special feat to qualify for (e.g. certain homebrew disiplines), you must acquire that feat before learning maneuvers from that discipline. You gain maneuvers from these disciplines with your initiator level equal to your Trissociate level. Your maneuvers known and stances known are detailed in the table above. You always ready all the Sublime association maneuvers that you know (hence there is no maneuvers readied column). Unlike other Martial adepts, you may not swap out your maneuvers known when you level.

Sublime Point Pool: You have a pool of Sublime Points, the maximum size of which is detailed in the table above. When you initiate a Sublime association maneuver, you must spend a number of Sublime Points equal to 3 times the maneuver's level (e.g. a Level 1 maneuver would cost 3 Sublime Points to use). You cannot initiate a maneuver if the Sublime Points spent would bring your pool below 0. The Maneuver is not expended, and is ready to initiate again the next round (provided you have the Sublime Points to support it). Your Sublime Point Pool gradually replenishes itself. Once per round, at the start of your turn, add the indicated Recovery number to your Sublime Point Pool. You cannot exceed your pool's maximum size.

Other Notes: Because you ready all the Sublime association maneuvers which you know, you cannot apply the Adaptive Style feat, or the Extra Maneuver Readied feat to your Sublime association maneuvers (although you may still use it for other Martial Adept classes to which it applies). However you can still take and benefit normally from other Martial Adept Feats, such as Martial Study and Martial Stance.

Undead Fortification (Ex): As you become more Undead-like, you become less vulnerable to precision damage. When you are struck by a critical hit, or a precision damage attack (such as sneak attack, sudden strike or skirmish), there is a chance that the critical hit or precision damage is negated and damage is instead rolled normally, as indicated by the percentage in the column. This class feature stacks with the highest fortification you currently have from one other source, to a maximum of 100%. E.g. Lets say you are a level 8 Trissociate with 45% fortification from this class feature. You also wear a suit of armor with light fortification (25%). You can stack both of these together for a total effective fortification of 70%. If you also carry a shield with light fortification, your total effective fortification is still 70%, since fortification from the shield and the suit of armor do not stack.

Undead Fast Healing (Ex): You gain the indicated amount of fast healing as you progress. However, you are initially unable to fast heal all your HP. Instead, your fast healing brings you up to a maximum percentage of your HP (rounded down), as indicated within the brackets. E.g. Lets say we have level 1 Half-Undead primary associate. He uses maximum HP (d6) for 1st level, and has 14 Constitution, so his total HP is 8. Hence his fast healing can take him to a maximum of 20% of his total HP or 1.6, which is rounded down to 1.

Undead Bonus to Saves (Ex): You add your Trissociate level as a bonus to saving throws against: sleep effects, non-lethal damage, poison, fatigue and exhaustion, disease, paralysis, energy drain, stunning, death from massive damage and death effects. At later levels, you gain immunity to these various effects.

Spellcasting: You gain Charisma based spontaneous Arcane spells as a Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#sorcerer). Your Caster level is equal to your Trissociate level. Your spell slots and spells known at each level follow the tables above (So0-So9) and the numbers indicate Spell Slots/Spells Known. You gain bonus spell slots based on your Charisma score. Additionally, starting from level 4 and every level thereafter (not just even levels), you can swap out one spell known for another at the same level.

Slam Attack (Ex): You gain a slam attack, if you do not already have one, whose damage follows the table below. If you already have one, you can choose to retain your old damage value, or use the appropriate value from the table below, whichever is better.

SizeSlam Damage
Fine1
Diminutive1d2
Tiny1d3
Small1d4
Medium1d6
Large1d8
Huge2d6
Gargantuan2d8
Colossal4d6

Ability Damage Immunity (Ex): Select one physical ability score (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution). You gain immunity to Ability Damage to that score. Each time you gain this ability, select a different physical score.

Ability Drain Immunity (Ex): Select one ability score (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma). You gain immunity to Ability Drain to that score. Each time you gain this ability, select a different physical score.

[i]Primary Automatic Mastery Talents
Recover Sublime Points: Without needing to enter Mastery Meditation, as a free action, you may spend Mastery points to regain Sublime Points. Each Mastery point you spend provides you with 3 Sublime Points. You still cannot exceed your pool's maximum size.

Secondary Automatic Mastery Talents (available from Trissociate level 2 onwards)
Undead Faster Healing: This ability can be triggered by spending 1 Mastery point as a free action and does not require Mastery Meditation. It lasts for 5 rounds, during which it increases your Undead Fast Healing amount by half your Trissociate level (round down, minimum 1). Additionally, during this time, you can Fast Heal up to 100% of your HP, regardless of your normal limit.

E.g. Lets say we have level 1 Half-Undead primary associate. He uses maximum HP (d6) for 1st level, and has 14 Constitution, so his total HP is 8. Normally his fast healing can take him to a maximum of 20% of his total HP or 1.6, which is rounded down to 1. But he can spend 1 Mastery point to trigger Undead Faster Healing, which increases his Fast Healing by half his Trissociate level (in this case +1), to a total of 2. And he can Fast Heal up to his full 8 HP.

Recover Spell (Sorcerer): You may recover an expended spell slot as if you did not cast it. This is a supernatural ability. By entering Mastery Meditation and spending Mastery points equal to the spell slot's level, you may restore an already cast spell. Level 0 spells cost no Mastery points to restore in this manner. If you are a prepared spellcaster, you may not change the spell that was prepared in that slot (this does not apply to spontaneous spellcasters).

You can only use this to recover spell slots gained from the specified Trissociate Association. It cannot be applied to spell slots gained from other classes or Associations (although they may their own equivalent of this talent). You may accelerate the conversion process by spending more Mastery points. By spending Mastery points equal to double the spell slot's level, you may recover that spell slot as a free action, even when you are not in Mastery Meditation. Level 0 spells cost 1 Mastery point to restore in this manner.

Common Trissociate Class Features
(Author's Note: this set of features is common for all Trissociates regardless of Focus or Associations selection. You probably only need to read this once, when making your first Trissociate. Hence, it has been seperated out and placed at the end, so that you can skip it if you want, for subsequent Trissociates.)

Chosen Save (Ex): Depending on the Focus he has picked, a Trissociate has one of his saves become good (Fortitude for Battle, Reflex for Skill, Will for Mental). Besides this Focus Save, he may pick a second save to have good progression. His third save then has poor progression, unless modified by one of the Trissociate selected Associations.

Mastery Points (Ex): A Trissociate has a pool of Mastery points, which he can use to augment his abilities in various ways (depending on his selected Focus and Associations). A Trissociates has a maximum number of Mastery points as listed in the table above. He can restore 1/8 of his pool (rounded up) for each hour of rest he takes. Hence he can completely restore his pool by resting for 8 hours, but even if his rest is interrupted, his Mastery points will be partially restored. Unless otherwise stated, any usage of his Mastery points is considered an Extraordinary ability.

Mastery Meditation (Ex): A Trissociate can focus his mind to replenish the various spent abilities he gains from his Associations, usually (but not always) spending Mastery points in the process. Entering Mastery Meditation simply requires 5 minutes of concentration. Mastery Meditation ends when the Trissociate wants it to, although it also automatically ends whenever the Trissociate takes damage.

While in Mastery Meditation, a Trissociate can freely channel as many Mastery points as he posesses, to recovering his Association's abilities. He cannot willingly move from his position, although he can be moved by others (e.g. if he is sitting on a cart), and as such is considered flat-footed while Meditating. Otherwise he can take any action he normally could, including casting spells.

Adaptation: There are some character concepts for whom meditation might not be an appropriate activity. In these cases, you can replace Mastery Meditation with 5 minutes of some other suitable non-combat activity. For example, a pious character might pray for 5 minutes. Other possible activities include: martial exercises, polishing equipment, singing and dancing on the spot, howling (at the moon), or even simply resting.

Trissociate Bonus (Ex): Many Mastery Talents (both learnt and automatic) provide a numerical bonus to a particular ability. The numerical bonus is based on the Trissociate bonus, which gradually improves as indicated, when the Trissociate advances.

Armored Caster (Ex): When casting spells, invocations, and other similiar abilities that might be affected by Arcane Spell Failure which he gains from his Associations, a Trissociate can ignore Arcane Spell Failure from light armor, but not from shields. (Unless otherwise stated, Spell Like Abilites work normally and hence do not suffer from Arcane Spell Failure at all.)

Learnt Mastery Talents (Ex): A Mastery Talent is a trick that costs Mastery points, and which a Trissociate can use to augment himself in some way. Some Mastery Talents are automatically known depending on his selected Associations (see Associations below). Whereas other must be learnt. This column indicates the number of Learnable Mastery Talents which a Trissociate knows.

Learnable Mastery Talents
Whenever a Trissociate can learn a new Mastery Talent, he selects one talent from the list below. This selection is permanent and cannot be changed, barring special and intensive retraining (read: DM fiat). Unless otherwise stated, all Learnable Mastery Talents are extraordinary abilities that are activated as a free action. The bonus each provides is an untyped bonus which stacks with everything else, but not with itself (so the same talent cannot be applied repeatedly).

Save Boost: A Trissociate may spend 1 Mastery point as a free action to add his Trissociate bonus to all his saving throws. He can activate this talent even when it is not his turn. The effect lasts for 1 minute/Trissociate level.

Fast Heal: A Trissociate may spend 1 Mastery point as a free action, to gain fast healing equal to half his Trissociate level (round down, minimum 1), for 5 rounds. This fast healing stacks with one other source of fast healing of his choice (changeable every round). He may choose to activate this ability even when he is dying, which automatically stabilizes him.

E.g. Lets say a level 7 Trissociate (half Trissociate level round down is 3) is under the effect of the vigor spell which grants him Fast Healing of 2. He can activate his Trissociate Bonus Fast Healing of 3 points. He can choose to stack his Trissociate Fast Healing on top of the vigor spell for a total of 5 points of Fast Healing.

Attack Boost: A Trissociate may spend 1 Mastery point as a free action to gain +1 to all attack rolls. The effect lasts for 1 minute/Trissociate level.

Speed Boost: A Trissociate may spend 1 Mastery point as a free action to increase his speed for all modes of movement. The speed increase so gained, is equal to his Trissociate bonus multiplied by 5 ft. The effect lasts for 1 minute per Trissociate level.

Skill Boost: Whenever he makes a skill check, a Trissociate may spend 1 Mastery point to gain a bonus equal to half his Trissociate level (round down, minimum 1) to that single skill check, regardless of how long the check takes (e.g. a Gather Information check may take several hours). He may also apply this bonus when he is taking 10 or 20 to that skill check (provided circumstances allow him to take 10 or 20 in the first place).

Penetration: Whenever a Trissociate uses a spell, spell-like-ability, invocation, psionic power, psi-like-ability or soulmeld obtained from his Associations, he may spend 1 Mastery point as part of the casting / manifesting / invoking action, to add his Trissociate Bonus to caster, manifester, invoker or meldshaper level rolls, for the purpose of overcoming spell or power resistance.

Resilience: Whenever a Trissociate uses a spell, spell-like-ability, invocation, psionic power, psi-like-ability or soulmeld obtained from his Associations, he may spend 1 Mastery point as part of the casting / manifesting / invoking action, to add his Trissociate Bonus to Dispel DC, making the effect harder to dispel. He can also apply this to the effective meldshaper level of his soulmelds, for the purposes of resisting suppression checks (e.g. Dispel Magic) and unshaping checks (Unshape Soulmeld and Soulmeld Disjunction). He may apply this bonus when he is shaping his soulmelds, and he must spend 1 Mastery point for each seperate soulmeld affected, and the effect lasts for 24 hours. Should he wish to regain the bonus beyond 24 hours, he must reshape his soulmelds and spend Mastery points again.

Lingering: Whenever a Trissociate uses a spell, spell-like-ability, invocation, psionic power, psi-like-ability or soulmeld obtained from his Associations, he may spend 1 Mastery point as part of the casting / manifesting / invoking action, to add his Trissociate Bonus to caster level for the purpose of determining the effect's duration. Spells / powers / soulmelds whose duration is not affected by caster level (e.g. endure elements) are not affected.

Extended Reach: Whenever a Trissociate uses a spell, spell-like-ability, invocation, psionic power, psi-like-ability or soulmeld obtained from his Associations, he may spend 1 Mastery point as part of the casting / manifesting / invoking action, to double the caster level, for the purposes of determining the effect's range. Spells / powers / soulmelds which have a fixed range (e.g. personal, touch) are not affected.

JeminiZero
2013-01-18, 09:12 AM
I have revised Clarissa to be Sorcerer instead of an Erudite. Feels a bit more suitable for her.

@Zaydos: Looking through Corgan's sheet, his Astral Construct form has a flat-footed AC of 26, which is HIGHER than his normal AC. I think its supposed to be 24.

Morph Bark
2013-01-19, 01:16 PM
Tonight's the session. I hope to be running at least two NPCs of the ones so far. The test will be pretty severely limited, considering it's specific to one campaign and one situation and/or battle, but I'm hoping that just like the last time I had the Playtest Services running it will provide me with a good insight in how a class feels in play and to see if there are any bits that confuse me or seem wrong or too weak/strong in a class. It's possibly that on the mechanics side of things, there won't be any big revelations to those already familiar with the class in question, but nonetheless I'm glad I get to run it.

You'll be hearing more later. :smallsmile:

Morph Bark
2013-01-19, 09:55 PM
oh god

why

session twice as long as normal, twice as bad

more later

Morph Bark
2013-01-20, 10:54 AM
So I used Xefas' Brass Hound and Milo's assassin yesterday, and had leads interwoven with Draken's Kozul, as well as a gang of smugglers that could consist of a variety of characters. (Heck, a gang of Evolutionists or other classes that can be build many, many ways could fit together well enough, I imagine.)

Then my players used their special powers and this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14561672#post14561672) happened. :smalleek:

Long story short, I decided to put the Brass Hound in a 1v1 situation with a character I figured would have trouble with him, and ended up with him totally oblitorating him, and then even removing the possibility of his return. I intend to simply return with a similar character that just utilizes a different stance and wears armour normally, but is otherwise the same.

The assassin functioned pretty well, and I got the feel of him being pretty much like a normal rogue, just slightly different of course.

It's possible that in the next session the PCs will have new characters, as it's gotten down to a functional TPK, but without any deaths, though some of those may soon follow.

Some kind of socially-focused character might be necessary at this point, hm. Two of the players having been calling out that the hospital and the guards are corrupt, but they're actually not, but one of the higher-ups of the town who works closely with the baroness is and he'd capitalize on social manipulation.

I will probably need to stat up some guards as well, considering they may want to break out Rogunel and Santos. Or at least Santos.

Mostly though, I'm wondering how long this campaign will remain standing... it's possible we'll need to start up a new one soon.

DracoDei
2013-01-20, 05:58 PM
Some kind of socially-focused character might be necessary at this point, hm. Two of the players having been calling out that the hospital and the guards are corrupt, but they're actually not, but one of the higher-ups of the town who works closely with the baroness is and he'd capitalize on social manipulation.

I will probably need to stat up some guards as well, considering they may want to break out Rogunel and Santos. Or at least Santos.

Mostly though, I'm wondering how long this campaign will remain standing... it's possible we'll need to start up a new one soon.
You need a socially-focused PC, or a socially-focused NPC?

Morph Bark
2013-01-20, 06:20 PM
NPC. The baroness' shady right hand man, basically. The PCs got the social stuff down pat, at least mechanically. It's just that roleplay-wise they're making a mess of things right now. Primarily, this is because each of them might be playing the craziest, socially unstable character they've each played so far. (Skarr's player has had worse ones, but not in DnD, and Faronel's player usually plays Paladin-like characters, so him being the source of accidental arsonry is very atypical. Zenkiki's player might be the only one with a character less crazy than is normal for her.)

A leader type for the smugglers gang might be good too. And if this campaign turns out to meet an untimely end, I can always use the gang members for another gang in the next campaign, and provide data that way.

DracoDei
2013-01-20, 07:17 PM
Well, might I suggest the Guardian of Souls character I made? I can tweak the level and which alignment-detection abilities she has if you need me to. Or even the equipment depending on how powerful you need her to be.

JeminiZero
2013-01-20, 08:31 PM
leads interwoven with Draken's Kozul, as well as a gang of smugglers that could consist of a variety of characters. (Heck, a gang of Evolutionists or other classes that can be build many, many ways could fit together well enough, I imagine.)

Maybe they are a cabal of evolutionists who use smuggling to fund research into the evo arts. :smallsmile:

A trissociate based on half-Alu-Demon or half-Fey has some nice social focused SLAs ... that is if you don't mind him being some part exotic race.

Kane0
2013-01-20, 08:57 PM

Edit: 2 level 3 Giant Servitor Guards, one melee and one ranged.

Guard Version 1 -

Name
Race Class
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice
Initiative +X
Speed 30 ft
Attack
Full Attack
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks
Special Qualities
Feats
Treasure

Spell list: Or maneuvers, psionic powers, etc. Mark readied maneuvers or prepared spells with an asterisk*.

Class Ability I:

Class Ability II:

Class Ability III:

Class Ability IV:

Guard Version 2 -

Name
Race Class
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice
Initiative +X
Speed 30 ft
Attack
Full Attack
Space/Reach 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks
Special Qualities
Feats
Treasure

Class Ability I:

Class Ability II:

Class Ability III:

Class Ability IV:

Draken
2013-01-21, 09:33 AM
I'm being lazy but the next evo (who is supposed to be the controller/debuffer and maybe also the healer, I guess) will be a more social type with the ever useful Fragrance mutation.

As well as the Web mutation, I think. And Charm. And Stench (penalties to all saves yo).

Morph Bark
2013-01-21, 06:48 PM
Well, might I suggest the Guardian of Souls character I made? I can tweak the level and which alignment-detection abilities she has if you need me to. Or even the equipment depending on how powerful you need her to be.

Hmmm... that'd be Lawful Evil then. Bumping her up to level 7 might be necessary as well.

Maybe they are a cabal of evolutionists who use smuggling to fund research into the evo arts. :smallsmile:

A trissociate based on half-Alu-Demon or half-Fey has some nice social focused SLAs ... that is if you don't mind him being some part exotic race.

I like the way you think. :smallbiggrin:

I could easily use the Trissociate character you posted, Clarissa, as either a leader figure or as someone who also is after the smuggle gang and challenges one of the PCs to a duel for the prize and honour of capturing the gang. (And if that idea fails, I can always use her still as the leader figure anyway.)

Can do! I'm thinking a pair of 4th level Servitors (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223940), one melee one ranged. Nothing overly hazardous, but nothing to sneeze at. What flavour would you prefer?

Dragon, Fey, Elemental, Outsider (Good, Evil, Neutral, Lawful or Chaotic), Undead, Giant/Titan, Aberration, Ki, Magic, Psionic, Constructs,

Are those all options of the class? In the class itself I don't see anything for the Lawful/Chaotic Outsider, Giant and Aberration types. I guess Giant would fit best. Also, if you make them level 3 instead, I can use them several times to create a small squad of them (with only the leaders actually being named and having backstories and such things, though for the others I may think up names on the fly, as I do with other NPCs who are asked for their names by the PCs). It will ensure they get more play and testing, as a single one would just be easily killed off, especially against the whole party. This might even happen if they don't intend to kill them, the way things have been going in the past two sessions.

I'm being lazy but the next evo (who is supposed to be the controller/debuffer and maybe also the healer, I guess) will be a more social type with the ever useful Fragrance mutation.

As well as the Web mutation, I think. And Charm. And Stench (penalties to all saves yo).

Sounds interesting. Makes me think they'd call him Spider-something.

Spider-King, Spider-King, does whatever a Spider-King does...

Anyway, thanks guys. I shall attempt to rectify my previous failure. :smallsmile:

Kane0
2013-01-21, 07:38 PM
Are those all options of the class? In the class itself I don't see anything for the Lawful/Chaotic Outsider, Giant and Aberration types. I guess Giant would fit best. Also, if you make them level 3 instead, I can use them several times to create a small squad of them.

Some of those options are alternates, like the ones you pointed out, and considered 'nonstandard'.
2x Level 3 giant flavored servitors coming up!

JeminiZero
2013-01-21, 09:28 PM
I could easily use the Trissociate character you posted, Clarissa,

Groovy.:smallsmile:

Although I am wondering whether I under-optimized her. Looking at the other NPCs, they all look significantly scarier. I certainly don't think she can take on the Evolutionist Cabal Smugglers, at least not on her own... But I suppose there is only one way to find out... :smalltongue:

or as someone who also is after the smuggle gang and challenges one of the PCs to a duel for the prize and honour of capturing the gang.

If she does challenge the PCs to a duel, she will likely want it to be 1v1 fist fight, because we wouldn't want to accidentally kill somebody over something like this now, would we?

(And also, you know, half-undead are immune to non-lethal damage. And she has a slam natural attack, so she can throw punches without sucking AoOs. In fact, she can tumble -> slam every round to get Child of Shadow concealment. Apparently non-lethal fist fights are one of her strong points.)

Although if she does win the fist fight, the self-destructive PCs will likely just draw swords and kill her, right in front of 10 reliable eyewitnesses, and within shouting distance of a townguard post.

Edit: I've added a modified Statblock based on the additional boosts which Project Epsilon humans get.

Draken
2013-01-21, 11:16 PM
Hmmm... that'd be Lawful Evil then. Bumping her up to level 7 might be necessary as well.

I like the way you think. :smallbiggrin:

I could easily use the Trissociate character you posted, Clarissa, as either a leader figure or as someone who also is after the smuggle gang and challenges one of the PCs to a duel for the prize and honour of capturing the gang. (And if that idea fails, I can always use her still as the leader figure anyway.)

Are those all options of the class? In the class itself I don't see anything for the Lawful/Chaotic Outsider, Giant and Aberration types. I guess Giant would fit best. Also, if you make them level 3 instead, I can use them several times to create a small squad of them (with only the leaders actually being named and having backstories and such things, though for the others I may think up names on the fly, as I do with other NPCs who are asked for their names by the PCs). It will ensure they get more play and testing, as a single one would just be easily killed off, especially against the whole party. This might even happen if they don't intend to kill them, the way things have been going in the past two sessions.

Sounds interesting. Makes me think they'd call him Spider-something.

Spider-King, Spider-King, does whatever a Spider-King does...

Anyway, thanks guys. I shall attempt to rectify my previous failure. :smallsmile:

Web is just the mechanical name of the ability. Evolutionists thrive on reskinning their abilities, so that you can have two evolutionists with the exact same loadout that could feel like completely different characters.

And I was thinking more of theming this guy after Mysterio.

DracoDei
2013-01-22, 02:40 AM
Just to be 100% clear, you want her to BE Lawful Evil? (I can totally do that, it is easy*).
I'm going to assume such until and unless you tell me otherwise, and also that the alignments she will be able to detect should be Law, Good, and Evil. I'm figuring that Law is for detecting people who can be allowed any sort of free reign, Good for detecting enemies, and Evil for use in combination with Law for knowing who could be a potential close ally/underlining... well, all of those to within the question of "But might they have countermeasures?".

*Bumping her up to 7th level is the more time-intensive part.

This is my first-and-a-half time typing up this format of stat-block. Tell me if I did anything wrong.

((Should be done now.))
Sharum Wheat, ECL 7, CR 7

The Backstory
Sharum was born of humble birth to peasant farmers. In her early teens she discovered a gift for talking to people, and started to see strange colors around some people. Concerned, she went to a local cleric to see what might be going on. He quickly recognized her talent, and offered her and her parents to give her a stipend to live near the guard-post nearest the marketplace so she could help gently guide those who strayed back to the true path. In awestruck fear she quickly accepted, lest the gods take their wrath upon her for wasting the rare gift they had bestowed upon her.

In fact so diligently did she apply herself over the years that many years later she was noticed by the ruler of the area she dwelt in and offered service by their side to measure the hearts of those who would speak to him. She accepted this, once again afraid of wasting the gift she had been given, and bid a tearful farewell to everything she knew.

She has adopted her employers worldview down to the depths of her soul out of a sense of loyalty. Thus she has become Evil.

Several more years later she is an accomplished diplomat and her ability to read hearts has only increased. Many have tried to subvert her with sly words or subtle magics, to date, all have failed. She was, however, once briefly tricked by someone who had drunk a Philter of Glibness.

Her greatest limitation is her lack of facility with languages.

She also feels a smoldering potential within her for even greater things, but it seems locked away behind a barrier that only gravest need may unlock. She has read stories of her kind performing great deeds in crises, and suspects the nature of this power, but does not know for sure. She has requisitioned a high-quality cold-iron longsword from the castle armory, just to be on the safe side. She keeps it hidden under her robes at court (when she wears it at all), not out of any intent at deception, but because it is rather plain-looking.

The Build
The Basics
Medium Humanoid (human), LN
Female Human Guardian of Minds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=121215)
Build progression: Guardian of Minds 7 Advancement: More of the same.

Senses
Senses: Listen +2, Search +0, Sense Motive +17(+19 when under effects of Incense Burner of the Diplomat), Spot +2

Defenses
Armor Class: 17(+1 Dex, +2 Masterwork Large Shield*, +4 Masterwork Chain Shirt*), touch 11, flat-footed 16*
*These items may not normally be worn at court, so her AC may vary.
Hit points: 31 (45 while under the effects of Overt Heroics)
Saves: ALL SAVES GAIN +2 WHEN UNDER EFFECTS OF EXTENDED EAGLE'S SPLENDOR FROM POTION DUE TO DIVINE GRACE.

Normal: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +13[+14 with Incense Burner of the Diplomat] {+2 additional if Extended Owl's Wisdom potion drunk}

Overt Heroics: Fort +12, Ref +7, Will +15[+16 with Incense Burner of the Diplomat] {+2 additional if Extended Owl's Wisdom potion drunk}

Immune to Mundane Fear normally. Immune to ALL Fear when under either option of Moral Champion (Overt Heroics or Subvert the Invader).

Immune to possession and mental control (See Headband of Mind-Shielding in item's section of this post for details. This is NOT Mind Blank, it is as per one of the effects of Protection from Chaos)
Offenses
Speed: 30 ft (20ft if wearing chain shirt while not under the effects of Overt Heroics, due to weight)
Melee: Masterwork Alchemical Silver Morning Star +3 Melee (1d8-2)
OR Masterwork Cold Iron Long-sword -1 Melee (1d8-1, 19-20/x2)

Overt Heroics: Masterwork Alchemical Silver Morning Star +9/+4 Melee (1d8)
OR Masterwork Cold Iron Long-sword +9/+4 Melee (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
Ranged: Masterwork Light Crossbow +5 Ranged [80'] (1d8, 19-20)

Overt Heroics: Masterwork Light Crossbow +9 Ranged [80'] (1d8, 19-20) (1d8+1)
Bolts: 30 Normal, 15 Cold Iron, 15 Alchemical Silver, 10 Bolts +1
Attack options: None unusual
BAB: +3 (+7 Overt Heroics); Grapple: +2 (+8 Overt Heroics)

Ability scores: Str 8 (Overt Heroics 12), Dex 13, Con 12(Overt Heroics 16), Int 10, Wis 14(18 w/ potion), Cha 16 (20 w/potion)
Flaw: None
Feats: Negotiator, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Sense Motive), Skill Focus(Gather Information)
Skills:

[]'s are additional modifier when under effects of Incense Burner of the Diplomat
Normal:
Bluff +3[+2], Diplomacy +15[+2]/+17[+2] when Knowledge{Nobility and Royalty} is relevant, Gather Information +16[+2], Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) +8, Knowledge(Religion) +6, Intimidate +9, Sense Motive +17[+2]
Subvert the Invader:
Bluff +10[+2], Climb +6, Diplomacy +15[+2]/+17[+2] when Knowledge{Nobility and Royalty} is relevant, Disable Device +7, Gather Information +16[+2], Hide +8, Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) +8, Knowledge(Religion) +6, Intimidate +9, Move Silently +8, Open Lock +8, Sense Motive +17[+2], Swim +6
((Note to self: Have Subvert The Invader apply to Forgery and maybe Slight of Hand when re-writing class))

Equipment
Armor(Not normally worn at court): Masterwork Chain Shirt, Masterwork Large Steel Shield
Weapons(GMs discretion what, if anything, carried at court): Masterwork Alchemical Silver Morning Star, Masterwork Light Crossbow (30 Normal Bolts, 15 Cold Iron Bolts, 15 Alchemical Silver Bolts, 10 Bolts +1), Masterwork Cold Iron Longsword.
Worn items:
Headband of Mind-Shielding (Never removed, even when sleeping or bathing, minor magics keep area under it clean and prevent rash)
Continuous function item as per the second property of Protection from Chaos(and, for references purposes, Protection from Evil), slightly rephrased for clarity this give us: Blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for as long as the item is worn (and not surpressed, for instance by Dispel Magic, or Anti-Magic Field). If the item is removed or surpressed before the effect granting mental control ends, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This effect works regardless of alignment. Market Price: 1,500 GP

Cloak of Resistance +1*, Nobles Outfit, Signet Ring, 175 GP worth of jewelry (Two spare Nobel's Outfits and 3 Traveler's Outfits in Wardrobe in room).

*If you find her over-equipped, this would be the item to drop.
Tools:
Incense Burner of the Diplomat: Once per week, when special incenses worth 50 gp are burned within this incense burner and a single individual spends 8 hours breathing the smoke nearby, they are granted a +2 resistance bonus to will saves, and a +2 competence bonus to the following skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive.

The effects last 4 hours after the 8 hour activation period is completed.
Market Price: 750 GP

1 potion of Cure Critical Wounds, 2 potions of Cure Serious Wounds, 2(only 1 carried) potions of Extended Owl's Wisdom(Duration 10 minutes, CL 5), 2(only 1 carried) potions of Extended Eagle's Splendor (Duration 10 minutes, CL 5), 3 blocks of 50 GP incense for burner, Masterwork Thieves Tools some of which (mostly the lock-picks) are hidden in secret pockets sewn into all clothing... only one set of tools (must be moved between sets of clothing being worn), Sealing Wax, 20 sheets of fine paper, 3 vials black ink, 1 vial red ink, 5 quill pens, wooden writing board with ink-holder and decoratively carved back surface (Only when expecting to need to write something when away from a desk, value 2 GP), 2 scroll cases, Bulls-Eye Lantern(Only carried when expecting to be out after dark), 5 pints of oil (spare for lantern, almost never carried).

Special Abilities
Aura(Ex): Auras of Law and Evil as per 7th level cleric of a Lawful Evil god.

Detect Alignment(Sp): Can use Detect Law and Detect Chaos at-will. Caster level 7.

Moral Champion(Su): (Slightly edited from original version, including for clarity and simplicity)Choose one of the following each time you activate this ability:
Subvert the Invader: Gain +7 competence bonus to Bluff, Climb, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, and Swim and may use these skills untrained. You also are under the effects of Undetectable Alignment. All of these effects last a number of days equal to class level. This version of this ability may be activated as a Full-Round action.
Overt Heroics: BAB changes to Full, Fortitude saves to Good, and gain benefits (but NOT drawbacks) of Barbarian rage for 1 minute per class level. Fatigued for 24 hours afterward. This version of this ability may be activated as an immediate action.
More specifically this has the following effects: the Guardian of Minds temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves. The increase in Constitution increases the guardian of mind’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when her Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) Overt Heroics lasts 7 minutes (1 minute per class level). A Guardian of Minds may prematurely end her Overt Heroics. At the end of Overt Heroics, the Guardian of Minds loses the Overt Heroics modifiers and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the next 24 hours.

Aura of Courage (Su): Immune to mundane fear. Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against mundane fear effects. While either option her moral champion ability is active, all of this also applies to magical fear. This ability functions while the guardian of minds is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.

Divine Grace (Su): Gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws. This does not stack with the similar class features of a paladin, crusader, black-guard, or other such class(es).

Tactics
In a straight up fight she prefers to hang back and use crossbow bolts to support the royal guards. If melee seems unavoidable she will take the time to equip her shield (if she has it with her) and draw her morning star before engaging. Given the protected life she leads, any encounter that challenges very much at all will lead her to activate the Overt Heroics sub-ability of Moral Champion if she has it available in such cases she may close to melee with her longsword if she has it with her and if the bolts are not proving very effective (perhaps due to slow firing rate) or if melee seems like it will come to her if she doesn't go to it.

At court she will wait until her ruler directs her to speak openly, and will simply whisper to her ruler if she has some insight to the situation. She uses her two SLAs freely.

When mingling she is much more active, and is not afraid to insinuate herself into the conversations of others. She is only slightly more restrained in her use of her SLAs, and considers any objection to this to be a sign of either a lack of understanding of the realities of life, or a weak sense of ethics.

Should the situation warrant it, she is not afraid to get back to her roots and go out among the common folk with fancy hat to hide her jeweled protective headgear.

She saves her incense burner for negotiations critical enough that she is reasonably sure she will not have a more pressing need within the week. She usually consults with her employer on this matter, but if she views the crisis great enough she will go ahead and use it on her own judgement without bothering her employer with an obvious decision. A local perfumer can make the incense blocks on reasonably short notice, so she does not waste her employer's funds by keeping too many on hand at once.

The potions of Owl's Wisdom and Eagle's Splendor are unlikely to be used without consulting her employer and are saved for the most critical of first meetings.

It would take a great emergency for her to manifest her Subvert the Invader ability, but something as mechanically simple as a great enough need for a single Bluff check could qualify.

Guardian of Minds: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=121215
Headband of Mind-shielding and Incense Burner of the Diplomat are original to this thread.

EDIT: When do you need this done by?

DracoDei
2013-01-27, 03:52 PM
Ok, the 7th level version of Sharum Wheat should be done. I hope I am in time, but I didn't remember any particular schedule being given, and my request to know when she was needed by went unanswered.

She turns out to have a lot of variation depending on what magic items she has active, not to mention the two options of "Moral Champion".

Draken
2013-01-27, 05:53 PM
Evolutionist party finished, with a Healer/Debuffer/Socialite Mysterio and zombie* hydralisk Kraven the Hunter.

*No zombieness involved, truth be said.

Their "thematics" are very minimalist in the writeups, I recommend that when you use these guys you give each one a unified theme to "skin" their various powers.

Also, the mutations themselves are not described in the writeups, but they are organized by type, and each one has a small selection of mutations from one of various special lists to entice you to read them. The lists in the thread are all in alphabetical order, to make the search less daunting.

Morph Bark
2013-01-29, 02:49 PM
The next session is in two weeks, as it can't be sooner. I'll fill in you all fine men then, as I must go now!

JeminiZero
2013-01-31, 05:26 AM
Hmm... might as well take the chance to update Clarissa. Since the Trissociate focus system has been tweaked. Changes made: She now gains Proficiency with 1 martial weapon, +1 HP/level, but loses -2 skill points per level. Not too much difference (hopefully).

Morph Bark
2013-02-15, 11:18 AM
Spoilered so that the one or two players of mine keeping an eye on the forums have one final chance to turn back.
Clarissa and Kogul saw play in the last session. Kogul well near killed two of the players, but since one of them had just escaped out of a mental institution and had no equipment on him, I decided to let them off easy (especially since I see a giant climax coming that won't end well for any of them). Clarissa held her own well in a fight, but since she had to go up against the only melee guy with an insane AC, I had to convince him to discard his shield first. The fight was diminished by bad rolls on my part, as otherwise Clarissa could've easily bested him. If it comes to a TPK in the next session, which is very likely, I'll pit her against one of the new melee guys.

RP-wise, I had Clarissa as a bounty hunter with similar goals to the PCs: rounding up a smuggling gang, which will have the Evolutionist guys as a part of it, and possibly Kane's Magus and Artificer as out-of-town gang members who the PCs will run into later. As it is, two PCs are still in prison, with one of them visiting them to come up with a plan to break them out, scout the prison, etc. Two others, who are wanted by the town guards, are stuck in the sewers with a member of the smuggling gang, and they've struck a deal to smuggle some high-end goods to the capital if he helps them break out the two guys from prison. He has made a plan to set the prison on fire while breaking them out via a tunnel from the sewers and make it appear as if they died in the fire. (Well, they want to get at least one of the two guys out, who is the primary party face. They don't care about the second guy, because he's a mute kleptomaniac.)

The last two PCs will likely end up going after the smuggling gang in the sewers in an attempt to find the two PCs stuck there, and to get the bounty before Clarissa does. They think that once they've done that, they may have some leverage to get their friends out of jail without needing to outright break them out.

Draken
2013-02-15, 12:04 PM
Ho ho. Details, details. I really want to listen to how Kozul lit them up. :smallbiggrin:

JeminiZero
2013-02-15, 07:31 PM
Ho ho. Details, details.
Likewise. :smalltongue: I was actually expecting poor Clarissa to get ruthlessly massacred.

Any new character requests?

I really want to listen to how Kozul lit them up. :smallbiggrin:
Its actually not that hard to imagine. He has 4 touch attacks dealing ~9.5 fire damage each. (Keep in mind that a d12 character with 14 con at level 4 has an average of 39 HP). Against any PC without fire resistance, one lucky full attack will burn him to a crisp.

As a crude approximation: assuming a PC with touch AC of 14, his +3 touch attack gives a 50% hit chance. At 4 attacks per round, that averages to 2 of the touch attacks hitting per round (dealing an average of 19 damage). So on average, a PC without fire resistance and ~20-38 HP will go down after 2 rounds of full attacking. This should be fairly consistent regardless of class, since melee classes with higher touch AC tend to have lower HP, and vice versa (e.g. heavily armored tank vs light agile monk).

Morph Bark
2013-02-16, 10:48 AM
Spoilered because players. *stares dramatically into the camera*
After jotun brothers Zenkiki and Dr. Grutenstein escaped from the psychiatric ward of the hospital (Zenkiki having broken the doctor out by dressing up as a woman and pretending to be his fiancee), they were chased by the police (and Pjotr's demonic pig Hin Doong) and they escaped (with the pig) into the sewers with the help of a member of the smuggle gang. He told them he could get them out of the city if they would smuggle something for him to the capital, to which they agreed if he helped them break Santos and Rogunel out of prison. He agreed to this, froming a plan to set the prison on fire while tunneling below it to help them escape and cover their tracks by making it look like they died in the flames. For this, they needed fuel, which he said they could get from the public bathhouse from the guy stoking the fires to keep the water hot, and he guided them to the entry, which, since they were in the sewers, came out into the toilets. Zenkiki and Grutenstein met up with the stoker (Kozul, obviously), who became enraged when they picked up some coals and tried to pay him for it, and attacked the with his fiery tentacles (which I fluffed as being his beard). The touch attacks easily hit them and very well near killed them, getting them down on the floor rolling around to put out the flames as they both failed their Reflex saves against catching on fire at least once. At this point, I had Kozul run off, supposedly mad with rage over people trying to take the coal.

Two other PCs, Faronel and Skarr, met Clarissa at the guard station later, when they were inquiring if the guards were going after the "escaped jotun madmen", having heard from them that they had gone into the sewers. They were told that the sewer network was vast and they had likely had help from the smugglers, who keep moving around and therefore have never been caught. Clarissa was talking with another guard about attempting to round up the smuggle gang and get a major bounty for it. When Skarr showed interest in the plan, she told him "back off, that's my bounty". Now, you should know that Skarr is a man whose psyche is damaged in the highly specific way that he has to make Will saves to resist anything that could be seen as a challenge, as long as it isn't of a CR 5 points over his level. Several back and forth Intimidation checks later, they had settled on the challenge of a duel, and Clarissa arranged for the town square's public entertainment/execution platform to be turned into a fighting ring. She challenged Skarr to a fist fight (I threw in an item for her that granted her Improved Unarmed Strike), knowing that her immunity to nonlethal damage had saved her more than once in such situations. Skarr tried to convince her to at least allow him to keep his shield as protection, or allow him to use his claw (because one of his arms had been replaced with that of a dragon by Dr Grutenstein). She disallowed the shield, but was fine with the claw, as that'd just spice up the challenge.

Sadly, it proved her undoing, because most of the time I rolled nothing over a natural 6, which wasn't enough to match Skarr's AC, even though half his AC came from his shield (it provides something like a +10 bonus due to class features). She ended up dealing about 10 damage in total before she dropped to 1 hp, dealt one least punch that failed to damage, before being struck down to -8. Skarr's player was actually scared by that, as he'd rolled a crit for that last attack. Luckily, there were some medics on hand to patch her up and her healing belt did the rest. (I didn't make her use it during the fight, because in a semi-friendly fight like this it seemed like that would be cheating a little bit, and that seemed sort of out of character for her in my eyes.) Afterwards, she acknowledged Skarr as a worthy opponent, gave him some money for winning, and told him she was still going to round up the smuggle gang before he could even get a whiff of them.

Naturally, Skarr failed his Will save to take up the challenge of going after the smuggle gang as well, so now the chase is on.

Sharum Wheat also made a brief appearance at the beginning, talking with one of the PCs, but her involvement so far has been largely behind the scenes.

EDIT: One of the players asked if we could do a game tonight for another campaign of ours, the two-player high-level Gestalt campaign, so maybe if that goes through I'll throw in a horde of copies of some of the more fight-focused characters here and see how that goes.

So far the view I've gotten of the Trissociate is different from my initial impression, as I viewed it as a general fix for classes, which I admit to be slightly biased against (largely because it doesn't "feel" like a different class for most fixes, but still works like a different class), but it's more like a build-your-own-class sort of thing, so it could be taken entirely seperately from the rest of standard DnD character conventions, which could be very fun. Then again, maybe it's just that Clarissa comes across as a very cool character to me and that influences my opinion subconsciously.

As for the Evolutionist, it's a class that can be built a lot of ways, offering many things, though if I'm correct any single-classed Evolutionist build itself won't be higher than Borderline Tier 3-4, mostly Tier 4. The class as a whole gives plenty of stuff though, so I think for that reason I'd have to Tier it at 3.

Hmmm, maybe I should make a re-evalution of when and why a class is in what Tier...

DracoDei
2013-02-16, 01:45 PM
Sharum Wheat also made a brief appearance at the beginning, talking with one of the PCs, but her involvement so far has been largely behind the scenes.
Thanks for the progress report.

Draken
2013-02-16, 02:52 PM
Most of the good evolutionist stuff starts showing up at level 5, the 1-4 range is somewhat dry of unusual powers and other options.

And it is great to hear that Burn shows promise!

Morph Bark
2013-02-16, 07:18 PM
I guess perhaps I should ask you to up the group of four by one level to level 5 then? Would also make them much more of a challenge to the PCs, no doubt.

We didn't end up playing the Gestalt game today, instead just watched some hilarious game show game playthrough on YouTube while I multi-tasked into finishing my PrC for the GitP PrC Contest.

JeminiZero
2013-02-16, 07:34 PM
Spoilered for players:

Sadly, it proved her undoing, because most of the time I rolled nothing over a natural 6, which wasn't enough to match Skarr's AC, even though half his AC came from his shield (it provides something like a +10 bonus due to class features). She ended up dealing about 10 damage in total before she dropped to 1 hp, dealt one least punch that failed to damage, before being struck down to -8.
Egads! My terrible luck with Dice rolls is transferring over to my NPCs now. :smalleek:

So far the view I've gotten of the Trissociate is different from my initial impression, as I viewed it as a general fix for classes, which I admit to be slightly biased against (largely because it doesn't "feel" like a different class for most fixes, but still works like a different class), but it's more like a build-your-own-class sort of thing
It was in fact primarily designed as build-your-own-class thing (e.g. Angels (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12830701&postcount=18), which are not generally well supported outside the Project Epsilon setting). The fact that it can be used to build fixes for some of the weaker iconic classes is entirely coincidental to that original aim. (Just like how superhero MMORPGs with flexible appearance customization can be used to make virtually anything, including Wolverine copies).

Then again, maybe it's just that Clarissa comes across as a very cool character to me and that influences my opinion subconsciously.
Thanks! :smallbiggrin: (She was heavily influenced by Vampire Hunter D in case you were wondering.)

Draken
2013-02-16, 09:23 PM
Hmm... Lets up the ante to five then. Most of them don't change much, strategy-wise. But Alexander now kills one adventurer per round.

Extra magical items not included.

Alexander, The Iron Bull, CR 5
This ogre-like man boasts a pair of bull horns on his head and some rather massive fists, he looks quite angry for no apparent reason.
Large Humanoid (Human)
True Neutral Soldier Human Evolutionist 5
Init +3; Senses Normal; Listen +1, Spot +1
Languages One language.
AC 21 (-1 Size, +2 Dex, +5 Natural, +5 Chain Shirt), touch 11, flat-footed 19. All ACs suffer a -2 penalty after charging.
Damage Reduction 6/magic.
hp 46 (5 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +4
Speed 40 ft.
Melee Gore +10 (1d8+9)
Melee 2 Slams +10 (1d8+6)
Space 10 ft Reach 5 ft
Base Atk +5 Grp +15
Atk Options Goring Charge +12 (2d8+18), Bash +10 (2d8+12), Pounce [goring charge +12 (2d8+18) and two slams +7 (2d8+12)]
Abilities Str 22, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Feats Construct Mutator, Mounted Combat, Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Ride-by Attack.
Skills Jump +16, Listen +11, Ride +17 (can take 10 at any time).
Human Bonuses applied to Listen and Ride.
Monster Sage (Ex): Alexander would be very knowledgeable on matters of assorted beasts... If he were particularly knowledgeable about anything at all.

Mutations: Alexander has 18 mutations.
Basic:
Evolve Combat Instinct: 3
Evolve Resilience: 2
Evolve Grace: 1

Innate:
Natural Armor: 2
Natural Weapon: 2 (Gore, Slam)
Powerful Form: 2
Integrated Tools: 1 (Ride)

Extraordinaire:
Bash: 1
Damage Reduction: 2
Pounce: 1

Supernatural:
-

Spell-like:
-

Psi-like:
-

Teratomorphisms: Alexander has two teratomorphisms.
Rank I:
Tauric Body: Alexander still has two legs, but he is quite blocky, like an oversized dwarf.

Rank II:
Size Increase: Alexander has increased his size to large.

Rank III:

Rank IV:

Rank V:

Rank VI:

Strategy
Alexander is a simple combat build In many ways he is pretty much a fighter with a few perks.

His charge is now a pounce including his two slam attacks. Going larger has increased his damage considerably, but due to tauric body, his reach is still just 5.

His ride check to avoid attacks now defaults to 27, meaning most mages will only hit touch attacks on a roll of 20, if he saves this move for the aforementioned touch attacks. His armor class is unchanged, but his damage reduction has increased to 6, which means that players without magic weapons will likely not manage to wound him. If they survive the charge.

Maximillian, The Lightning, CR 5
The man's manic gaze and twitchy movements only keep your attention until the first sparks of electricity jolts off from his body, he keeps pacing around and simply doesn't seen to want to stand still.
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Chaotic Neutral Highlander Human Evolutionist 5
Init +10; Senses Normal; Listen +5, Spot +5, Search +5
Languages Two languages.
AC 23 (+4 Dex, + Natural, +5 Chain Shirt, +4 Dodge), touch 18, flat-footed 15
Uncanny Dodge.
Energy Resistance Electricity 5
HP 36 (5 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +4
Speed 50 ft. (30 base + 20 enhancement)
Melee 2 Unarmed Touches +4 (3d6+3 Electricity)
Ranged Elemental Lance +10 (60 feet range, 5d6+5 Electricity)
Space 5 ft Reach 5 ft
Base Atk +5 Grp +4
Atk Options Shockwave (10 feet radius, 1d4+4, Reflex DC 16 and resisted Dexterity check, Maximillian has a +6 bonus to this check)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feats Improved Unarmed Strike (B), Elemental Mutator, Point Blank Shot, Improved Initiative, Run (B).
Skills Balance +16, Escape Artist +14, Knowledge (The Planes) +9 (+13 to identify elementals and outsiders), Tumble +16
Human Bonus applied to Balance and Tumble.
Monster Sage (Ex): Maximillian knows a lot about planar creatures, I suppose.

Mutations: Maximillian has 18 mutations.
Basic:
Evolve Combat Instinct: 3

Innate:
Evolve Grace: 2
Extra Senses: 2

Extraordinaire:
Energy resistance: 1 (Electricity 5)

Supernatural:
Elemental Attack: 3 (Unarmed Strike: Electricity x3)
Elemental Lance: 1
Shockwave: 1
Speed of the Wind: 2

Spell-like:
-

Psi-like:
-

Teratomorphisms: Maximillian has two teratomorphisms.
Rank I:
Heart of Air: Static energy arces visibly along Maximillian's body.

Rank II:
Elemental Potency: Maximillian's eyes are alight with electrical power.

Rank III:

Rank IV:

Rank V:

Rank VI:

Strategy
Maximillian sticks to his guns. He will dash around, at least 35 feet per round, and fire lightning bolts that deal distinctly more damage than before.

His armor class is higher, his speed is higher, his damage is higher. I should note that he lost the Breath Weapon entry from the old stat block because that was a holdover from a mutation I ended up not taking even on that stat block.

As he progresses, Max will seek out mobility and aoe options. On his next level he will likely take Elemental Bomb, Dimension Door and the second Elemental Lance as his mutations.

Kent 'Enigma' Grey, CR 5
A regal man with an air of mistery.
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Highborn Human Evolutionist 5
Init +8; Senses Normal; Listen +0, Spot +0
Languages Two relevant languages.
AC 17 (+2 Dex, +5 Chain Shirt +1), touch 12, flat-footed 15
hp 36 (4 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +3
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Unarmed Strike +1 (1d3-1 damage)
Ranged: Solar Blast +4 (5d4* damage + blindness), Web +4 (entangle)
*5d8 damage to undead and light-sensitive creatures, 5d12 damage to light-sensitive undead.
Space 5 ft Reach 5 ft
Base Atk +2 Grp +1
Atk Options Solar Blast, Web, Petrification Gaze.
Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 20
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Initiative, Combat Expertise, Plant Mutator, Great Changer.
Skills: Bluff +17, Disguise+17 (+27 if using Change Shape), Knowledge (Local) +9 (+13 to identify creatures), Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) +9 (+13 to identify... hmm... Humanoid snobles? Kind of a stretch but should apply).
*Human Skills: Disguise and Bluff
Possessions +1 Chain Shirt and some other crap.
Monster Sage (Ex): Kent knows a lot about humanoids of many kinds.

Mutations: has 29 mutations.
Basic:
Evolve Talent - 1 (Improved Initiative)
Evolve Fortitude - 1
Evolve Reflexes - 1
Evolve Will - 1

Innate:
Leaves - 1
Nimble Form - 2
Superior Grace - 2

Extraordinaire:
Fast Healing - 1
Fragrance (Plant) - 2
Nourishment - 2
Stench - 2
Web - 1

Supernatural:
Change Shape - 2
Charm - 1
Solar Blast - 1
Gaze - 1 (Petrification)
Natural Invisibility - 1

Spell-like:
Detect Magic - 1
Budding Creation - 1
Verdant Servant - 1

Psi-like:
-

Teratomorphisms: Kent has one rank two teratomorphisms.
Rank I:
Extra Mutations: Kent has three additional mutations.
Extra Mutations: Kent has even more mutations.

Rank II:

Rank III:

Rank IV:

Rank V:

Rank VI:

Strategy
Kent is no longer a pushover.

Kent will start the combat invisible. He brings a few new things to the table.

First things first. He has minor creation at will. We all know how to abuse minor creation. He also has detect magic at will, but this is more in preparation for dispelling come next level.

More importantly, he has a permanently active level 3 astral construct. If it is killed, he needs a minute to regrow the construct.

Also, every five rounds he can try to petrify opponents with his gaze attack (Will negates, DC 17) as a swift action, the petrification lasts 1d4 rounds, more than enough for Alexander to reduce the victim to a pile of rubble. Anyone who saves once becomes immune. And there are also all the other defenses against gaze attacks, like blinding yourself.

Changes. Enemies (everyone he doesn't bother to inoculate, actually) near Kent here take a -2 penalty to all saves and all constitution, dexterity, wisdom and charisma based skills. He is a consumate liar and excellent at disguising himself, so he works pretty well as an infiltrator of some sort too. But will likely not be lowering fort saves and constitution checks/skill checks when infiltrating, because while that effect is up, anyone nearby also needs to save or be sickened for a minute. Yada, yada. All that changed in this paragraph was a number.

In combat, Kent will try to Charm opponents to take them out of combat. The DC against this effect is 17. He will try to stay close enough only to affect his opponents with his fragrance/stench mutations. Otherwise he steers clear. He will also try to tangle his opponents with web, specially any of them who look like they might be able to charge his squishy ass. No changes.

If the charming and webbing does not work, he will proceed to use Solar Blast to try to blind his opponents (DC 14 for the blind). If he is not in a decently illuminated area, each solar blast forces a fort save against fatigue, at a whoping DC of 5. That is, indeed, a five. The pitiful dc for solar blasting in the dark remains pitiful.

Also, as long as he is charming and not webbing or solar blasting, he will try keep combat expertise up for an extra 2 to ac. This is not included in the combat stats because those assume he has already stopped trying to charm and started shooting the sticky white stuff all over the enemy party.

If the rest of his group goes under, he beats it to the tune of Michael Jackson and if possible shapeshifts and pretends to be a kidnapped victim or whatever. Or, at this level, he doesn't take changes and goes invisible outright. Who can tell what dreadful tools he will bring on his next level.

Krastinov,The Hunter , CR 5
There appears to be something inside the shadows ahead.
Small Humanoid (Human)
Saltskin Human Evolutionist 5
Init +; Senses Uncanny Dodge; Listen +12, Spot +12
Languages Any two.
AC 20 (+1 Size, +6 Dex, +3 Studded Leather Armor), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Resistances: Negative Energy 5, Positive Energy 5.
hp 40 (5 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +3
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Fist +5 (1d3-1)
Ranged: Two Spines +13 (1d6 damage, plus 2d6+2 negative energy, plus 1 Con and 1 Dex damage).
Space 5 ft Reach 5 ft
Base Atk +5 Grp +1
Atk Options Spines.
Abilities Str 8, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 8
Feats Improved Unarmed Strike, Undead Mutator, Point Blank Shot, Great Changer, Precise Shot.
Skills Hide +25,Listen +12, Move Silently +21, Spot +12
Human skills: Hide, Move Silently
Possessions: Necklace of Natural Weapons +1, Studded Leather Armor, assorted crap.
Monster Sage (Ex): Krastinov isn't very good at identifying anything, truth be said. He just kills them.

Mutations: has 23 mutations.
Basic:
Evolve Combat Instinct - 3
Evolve Fortitude - 1
Evolve Reflexes - 1
Evolve Will - 1
Evolve Talent - 1 (Precise shot)

Innate:
Chameleonic - 1
Extra Senses - 2
Nimble Form - 2

Extraordinaire:
Quills - 1
Spines - 2
Barbs - 1
Negaton Shield - 1

Supernatural:
Negaton Touch - 2
Ability Damage - 2
Gloom - 1
Natural Invisibility - 1

Spell-like:
-

Psi-like:
-

Teratomorphisms: has two teratomorphisms.
Rank I:
Extra Mutations

Rank II:
Size Decrease I: Krastinov has become small.

Rank III:

Rank IV:

Rank V:

Rank VI:

Strategy
Played as intended, Krastinov is a TPK waiting to happen.

Gloom surrounds him with permanent darkness. This means he can always hide. And he is pretty good at hiding too. Also, he is now invisible at the beggining of any combat.

His strategy is simple. Pepper the enemy with spines. Each standard action means two spines at one target or two targets get one spine each, but focus fire tends to be best.

When a target is hit by a spine, he takes a -1 penalty to attacks, saves and skills until it is removed, which deals a bit of extra damage. They also take dex and con damage, which means that the next shots will land more easily and take a chunk off of a lower health pool.

After shooting his two spines, he can run out of sight/range/whatever, and keep at it, he will be very difficult at this level, given an optimal position if solo. With his group, he is a primary threat and probably calls the shots on who is being focused to die.

He has not changed much, but now he is small sized, more of his damage is negative energy instead of physical and he starts out invisible. He is still going to deliver a lot of pain.

of the evolutionist quartet, the most changed is Kent, who gains a lot of tricks. The others mostly improved what they already did.

DracoDei
2013-03-04, 07:41 PM
How is this coming?

DracoDei
2013-03-28, 12:47 PM
Hello? Anyone home?

Morph Bark
2013-03-28, 06:09 PM
Like a promised a few days ago, an update:

The Evolutionists were used in the sewers in a pretty tactical manner with good cooperation, though once Alexander died, the battle was over quickly (the others I used primarily at range, with Alexander blocking the way to them). I really liked the variety in the characters, and that with just a single class, too. It's clearly a very solid Tier 3 class, and very flavourful.

Right now, I am no longer in need of new NPCs though, as we're moving on to a more dungeoncrawling-based format for most of the rest of the campaign. Plus, the players accidentally causing the world to be opened to Cthulhu and his ilk kind of wrecked the town they were in in which I would otherwise have planned a few more NPC encounters. They're tired of this little place though, so we're moving on.

A big thanks to everyone who helped out with making NPCs. It was a blast. :smallsmile:

Waker
2013-03-28, 07:02 PM
So what you're saying...is that we need to start homebrewing traps now.

Morph Bark
2013-03-28, 07:18 PM
...cooperative dungeon-building?

...I'm listening.

DracoDei
2013-03-29, 04:18 PM
Like a promised a few days ago, an update:

The Evolutionists were used in the sewers in a pretty tactical manner with good cooperation, though once Alexander died, the battle was over quickly (the others I used primarily at range, with Alexander blocking the way to them). I really liked the variety in the characters, and that with just a single class, too. It's clearly a very solid Tier 3 class, and very flavourful.

Right now, I am no longer in need of new NPCs though, as we're moving on to a more dungeoncrawling-based format for most of the rest of the campaign. Plus, the players accidentally causing the world to be opened to Cthulhu and his ilk kind of wrecked the town they were in in which I would otherwise have planned a few more NPC encounters. They're tired of this little place though, so we're moving on.

A big thanks to everyone who helped out with making NPCs. It was a blast. :smallsmile:
Thanks for doing this.

Too bad the campaign didn't work out with this.

So what you're saying...is that we need to start homebrewing traps now.

...cooperative dungeon-building?

...I'm listening.
You want standard dungeon traps, with maybe a few puzzle-based, or you want the "effective against expected ECL of opposition, and rationally laid out for defense, including access by authorized personnel, if any" sort?

Not promising anything personally, just saying that that seems a good place to start.

Morph Bark
2013-03-30, 08:53 AM
I'll post a new thread for it today, or after Easter, so we can all brainstorm together. Little traps are great, puzzles are greater (as long as the players can solve it, find clues or aren't completely blocked in their progress by it so that they could just bypass it), and the best are a puzzle-trap combination that encompasses the entire dungeon. I've got a prime example for it that I'll post in the new thread, but I can't really use it the way it is, because I've used it before with this group.

Morph Bark
2013-04-05, 09:06 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15032656#post15032656) is the successor thread. I'll put the link to it in my signature in place of this one.