PDA

View Full Version : FRENZIED BEAST - New Discipline [WIP, PEACH]

SirAxealot
2013-01-10, 01:43 PM
I've been working on a couple of new disciplines for a wildshaping martial initiator. This is my first attempt at a discipline, and it's still definitely a work in progress, but I wanted to go ahead and put some stuff up to get feedback on. I'm not the world's most experienced D&D player, and I would love the help lol.

Before I say anything else, I should give some props to Nightgaun7 for helping me come up with a number of these.

A couple of notes before the moves - there will be a few more questions and considerations after them.
I have not yet sorted these in to levels, so I am sorting them by strikes, stances, counters, and boosts for right now.
The bonus that comes with most maneuvers only applies when you are in a rage or rage-equivalent, such as Whirling Frenzy.
For some maneuvers I have included commentary in italics

Strikes
Wild Assault
You crash through the undergrowth and over your enemies
[Strike]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Initiation Action: 1 Full Round Action
Range: Melee Attack
Target: One creature
Make a charge attack against one enemy. As part of this charge, you may expend AoO uses to attack enemies you pass that are within your threatened range. You may only attack each enemy other than your target once. You may make a full attack against your primary target. This maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Bonus: When raging, you may act as though you had Cleave for any killing blow.
or
Bonus: When raging, each attack made against an opponent other than your primary target gives you a +1 to hit with any attacks you make at the end of the charge.

Thinking about discarding the AoO use, since it may be a pain in the ass to track
Not sure which Rage bonus to use

Plow Through
You toss lesser foes aside as you charge your main enemy
[Strike]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Make a charge. This charge is limited in distance to your base speed, rather than being double it as a normal charge. You may make a free bullrush attempt against each enemy adjacent to the path of your charge. This attempt does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You do not have to move with people you bullrush. When you attack your primary target, add 1d6 damage per 2 initiator levels to the damage dealt from the charge.
Bonus: When raging, you may make a free trip attempt against your primary target. If it succeeds, you gain a second attack against your primary target. This second attack does not benefit from the bonus damage from initiator levels.

I'm not sure about the bullrush aspect. Should I make it a trip attack instead? Also, this is meant to get you through a gang of thieves and claw the face off the assassin, for example. Do I need to add wording or something to allow it to actually do that?

Prey On The Weak
You pounce on a weak-looking enemy and drag him away from his fellows
[Strike]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Duration: Instantaneous
Make a charge attack. If you hit your opponent, make an opposed strength check, to which you have a +4 bonus. If you win, you may move your target a number of squares up to your strength bonus in a straight line in any direction.
Bonus: When raging, +6 bonus to strength check

Omni-directional bullrush, basically. Rage bonus is extremely bland. Thought about adding +1 to the check for every 5 ft you moved before hitting the enemy

Worrying Blows
You bite your foe hard and shake him, ripping flesh and twisting bone.
[Strike]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Initiation Action: Swift Action
With a full-attack action, each hit against the same opponent deals an extra 1d6 damage. This bonus is cumulative; for example, if you successfully hit your opponent 3 times, you will add 1d6 to the first attack, 2d6 to the second, and 3d6 to the third.
Bonus: When raging, opponent must make a fort save with a DC of 10+your initiator level+your STR bonus or be dazed for the next round

Should I make it a flat number? Cap number of dice? Something else?

Primeval Upheaval
A mighty heave shakes off the foes that beset you
[Strike]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Target: Surrounding hexes
Duration: End of turn
When you use this boost, you may allocate your attacks against any number of foes adjacent to you. Each enemy you hit must make a Reflex save with a DC of 10 + the damage you did or be knocked prone.
Bonus: When raging, enemies are knocked back 1 hex for every size category difference between you. For example, if you are huge and fighting medium enemies, then they can be knocked back 3 hexes.

Ravening Beast
You rip the throat from one enemy, then leap towards another.
[Strike]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Make a full attack against one enemy. If you kill him and still have any attacks left, you may move up to half your movement speed and attack another enemy within range with your remaining attacks.
Bonus: When raging, attacks made against the second opponent get an additional +2d6 damage

What should the target for this be?

Savage Smash
You strike your enemy so hard he has to go and collect his brain before he can act again
[Strike]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Initiation Action: Full Action
When you use this boost, make an attack against one opponent. If you hit them, they are unable to act for the next round.
Bonus: When raging, deal additional d6 equal to one-half your Initiator level

Shifting Strike
Your control of your form lets you trick your opponent, leaving him wide open.
[Strike]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Opponent does not get DEX to AC when you use this strike. In addition, you deal an additional 1d6 for every two initiator levels you have.
Bonus: Render opponent flatfooted for the next round

Seems a bit dull.

Claws That Catch
Your opponent tries to get away, but once your claws hook into him there's no escape.
[Strike]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Make a touch attack against your opponent. If it hits, do damage as normal and start a grapple as a free action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. Gain +1 to Grapple check per two initiator levels.
Bonus: When raging, if you win the grapple check, you deal an additional 1d6 damage for every 4 initiator levels and count as pinning your enemy.

Force of Nature
You are the wrath of the spirits embodied
[Strike]
Level: 9
Prerequisite: 4 maneuvers
Initiation Action: Full round Action
Make a charge attack. You do not need to be 10 feet away from the enemy, and enemies between you and your primary target do not block the charge. You may make a free attack against any opponent you pass that is within your reach. Any foe you hit is knocked prone and dazed. For every blow that lands prior to attacking your primary target, add +1 to hit and +2d6 damage to each of your attacks against your primary target. You may full attack as normal at the end of your charge.
Bonus: When raging, every hit is a critical

Pretty sure this is waaay too strong, lol. But I've been working on this for ages and I just wanted to get something down so I could finally post it.

Boosts

Flensing Frenzy
You practically flay your enemies with your fangs and claws, the blood loss making them struggle to stand

Level:
Prerequisite:
Target:
Duration:1 Round
Any opponent you strike over the course of the next round becomes fatigued
Bonus: When raging, they must make a fort save with a DC of 10 + one-half your initiator level + STR bonus or become exhausted instead

[B]Overwhelming Ferocity
You carve your way through your enemies more effectively than any weapon

Level:
Prerequisite:
Target:
Duration:1 Round
Every attack you make this round operates as though you had the Cleave feat
Bonus: When raging, you may make a 5 foot step before using your cleave attack.

[B]Bloody Roar
You let out a ferocious roar, promising your enemies pain.

Level:
Prerequisite:
Make a full attack against any number of opponents. Any enemy you hit must pass a will save with a DC of 10 + Initiator Level + Str Bonus or cower for the next turn.
Bonus: When raging, enemies that fail their will check take 1 level of fear in addition to cowering.

[B]Marrow Eater
You try to reach the chewy center of your enemy's limbs

Level:
Prerequisite:
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 Round
When you use this boost, your unarmed strikes and natural attacks threaten on a 15-20. Any opponent you get a crit on takes 2 points of CON damage. This CON damage can be applied no more than twice per turn to each enemy.
Bonus: When raging, the crit multiplier becomes x3

Should I uncap the CON damage and reduce it to 1 CON per hit?

[B]Rabid Brute
Biting your foe makes him froth with anger
Killer (Boost)
Level:
Prerequisite:
Duration: End of turn
You must make a bite attack while wildshaped. If it hits, the victim must immediately make a fortitude save with a DC equal to 10+___ or become temporarily enraged. This functions exactly like the Barbarian class feature. The victim may make a fortitude save once per round to end the condition. Otherwise, the condition will end after 1d4+1 rounds.
Bonus: When raging, +4 bonus to save DC

Should I add a damage bonus, what should the DC be, is the duration good?

Monstrous Throw
An unlucky enemy finds himself hurtling through the air before landing with bone-crunching force

Level:
Prerequisite:
When attacking an opponent smaller than yourself, you may make make one of your attacks a touch attack. If it succeeds, make a grapple check. If you win, you may throw your opponent a number of hexes equal to your STR bonus. They take Xd6 damage when they land, where X is your STR bonus
Bonus: When raging, you may throw a creature of your size category. In addition, you get a +4 on your grapple check.

I'm almost certain this can be done better, but at least you get what I have in mind. I hope.

Counters

[B]Bite the Hand
You snap at your opponent's hand, forcing him to drop his weapon.
[Counter]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Initiation Action: Immediate action
You may initiate this counter whenever you are attacked. You may attempt to disarm your enemy, with a +1 bonus per 2 initiator levels to do so. This disarm attempt does not provoke an AoO. If your opponent is using unarmed strikes or natural weapons, they simply lose the use of the limb they attacked with for a time. This has the effect of reducing their number of attacks by 1. For example, using this against a monk with three attacks would reduce them to 2. The unarmed strike or natural weapon is useless for 1+1d4 rounds.
Bonus: When raging, if you succeed on your disarm attempt make a free attack as though it were an AoO.

I know it might be a bit tough to make sense of this in some situations, but the general uselessness of disarm bothers me. Hopefully this is a decent attempt at making it more useful. The round duration for natural weapons and unarmed strikes is to balance out the fact that they won't draw an AoO for picking up their weapon.

Pained Howl
A grievous blow causes you to let out a loud cry of anguish, stunning your attackers.
[Counter]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Range: 15 ft
You may initiate this counter whenever you are attacked. Any enemies within 15 ft of you when you initiate this counter must succeed on a fort save or be deafened for 1+1d4 rounds
Bonus: When raging, DC gets a +4

First off, is deafened a penalty worth inflicting in this sort of situation? Secondly, what DC should it be at?

Instinctive Speed
You react to an attack with incredible swiftness.
[Counter]
Level:
Prerequisite:
You may initiate this counter whenever you are attacked. You and your enemy switch places in the initiative list. You may use this maneuver while you are flatfooted.
Bonus: When raging, make a free AoO against the enemy that struck you. This does not count against your number of AoOs for the turn.

I'm not sure this will work the way I want it to, as worded. What I'm thinking is that you get attacked, use this, and then go before that enemy can go again.

Vicious Rebuke
The beast spirits demand you repay an attacker in kind
[Counter]
Level:
Prerequisite:
You may initiate this counter after an opponent makes a melee attack against you. Make a melee attack against them that deals an additional 1d6 per 4 Initiator Levels.
Bonus: When raging, if you hit your enemy they become staggered until their next turn

Under the Blade
The enemy can't ward off your rage
[Counter]
Level:
Prerequisite:
This counter can be used whenever an attack of opportunity is made against you. Gain DEX to AC for the purpose of evading the AoO, and make a free trip attack against them.
Bonus: When raging, if you trip your enemy, get a free attack against them

Stances

Running Wild Stance
After spending so much time in bestial forms, you instinctively take advantage of them
[Stance]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Initiation Action: 1 swift action
Duration: Stance
You can take 10 on any run, swim, climb, or jump check. You gain an additional 5 ft of movement speed every 4 Initiator levels, regardless of type. In addition, you get a bonus to any roll to resist being grappled, tripped, bullrushed, etc. equal to one-half your Initiator level

Obviously one of the lower level stances

Cornered Beast Stance
You're at your most dangerous when you're backed into a corner.
[Stance]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Gain an additional number of AoOs equal to ¼ your initiator level. In addition, while you are in this stance you can't be flanked.

Scent Fear Stance
You can sniff out enemies who are unable to resist your assault
[Stance]
Level:
Prerequisite:
You get a number of bonuses against enemies who have been demoralized. Against any foe who is shaken, you get +1 to hit, +1 crit range, +2 to confirm criticals, and +1d6 for all damage rolls. These bonuses double against frightened enemies, and double again against panicked enemies.

Berserker Soul Stance
You call forth the fiercest beast spirits to fuel your rage, saving yourself for later battles.
[Stance]
Level:
Prerequisite:
Gain +10 temporary hit points per character level. Turns spent in this stance do not count against the duration of your rage. Maintaining this connection is straining, however, and you must succeed on a fort check at the beginning of each turn or exit this stance. Additionally, you may survive death spells and magical death effects by exiting your rage and becoming fatigued as an immediate action.

I figured there should be at least one way for this class to pick up some staying power.

And that's what I've got so far. I still need to come up with a feat and tactical feat and some other stuff.

Questions:
How will Pounce work with all the charges? Will it work like it does with a normal charge?
I'm worried some of these are overly reliant on forcing enemies to make saves?
Are any of these too similar to other school's maneuvers, especially tiger claw?

Considerations:
Boring Rage bonuses
Need help putting things at appropriate levels
Please check the initiating actions and make sure they're appropriate.

GunbladeKnight
2013-01-10, 06:50 PM
I've only looked at the stances so far, but I like what I am seeing.

Running Wild could be 3rd level.
Scent Fear (rename it to Sense Fear or Smell Fear) could easily be 1st level.
Cornered Beast could probably be 1st 3rd or 5th level, though it would be a bit more powerful at 1st.
Berserker Soul is definitely 7th or 8th (Depending on when the class would get it's final stance, most people tend to place it at 8th level), but I would change it instead of a save at the start of each round (can become tedious) to whenever you run out of temporary hit points.

I may go over the rest later.

SirAxealot
2013-01-11, 12:42 AM
I've only looked at the stances so far, but I like what I am seeing.

Running Wild could be 3rd level.
Scent Fear (rename it to Sense Fear or Smell Fear) could easily be 1st level.
Cornered Beast could probably be 1st 3rd or 5th level, though it would be a bit more powerful at 1st.
Berserker Soul is definitely 7th or 8th (Depending on when the class would get it's final stance, most people tend to place it at 8th level), but I would change it instead of a save at the start of each round (can become tedious) to whenever you run out of temporary hit points.

I may go over the rest later.

Removed the Rage benefit from Cornered Beast to scale it down a little.

Berserker Soul definitely needs some work, but I'll let more people look at it first.

Zireael
2013-01-14, 08:17 AM
I like the idea and the discipline looks good. I don't know anything about pounce, though, I'm sorry.

JoshuaZ
2013-01-14, 09:51 AM
The idea is interesting. Quick recommendations: If it is designed to be used by wildshapers, maybe classes which give wildshaping should count as full for effective initiator level rather than half?

There's a somewhat standard way of listing maneuvers which makes them a bit easier to read that is used in most homebrew disciplines that you may want to take a look at.

You should also clarify how one gains access to this discipline.

Nightgaun7
2013-01-14, 01:40 PM
The idea is interesting. Quick recommendations: If it is designed to be used by wildshapers, maybe classes which give wildshaping should count as full for effective initiator level rather than half?

There's a somewhat standard way of listing maneuvers which makes them a bit easier to read that is used in most homebrew disciplines that you may want to take a look at.

You should also clarify how one gains access to this discipline.

Right now I'm just working on the maneuvers and stances, the class it's designed for is still being hammered out. I like the idea of wildshaping classes counting for full initiator levels and had done something similar with a Druid ACF that's supposed to get you in to this class, but since we're intending several classes to be able to access that, I'll note that down for their benefit.

Siraxealot listed them the way he did because we've yet to actually figure out which things go at which level. That's one of the things we were really looking for some input on.

Nightgaun7
2013-01-15, 12:34 AM
Also, if anyone has some ideas for feats and tactical feats, that'd be great lol.

I'll ask Siraxealot to update the OP in case he doesn't check this soon.