PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Warforged component: The arm of ropes! or Grapling fist!

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-13, 05:28 PM
First of all: this is my very first atempt at an homebrew, i have no idea how it is done, i just went all monkey see, monkey do on this. Just trying.

So i wanted to make something cool for my (or a) warforged character. And somewhere on this forum i saw the idea of building a Rod of Ropes (from complete scoundrel) in a warforged arm, the idea struck me but i didn't know how it would work so i tried making it myself. so here it is:

Arm of ropes/grappling fist
Prerequisites: Warforged.
The grappling fist is an application and improvement on a standard Rod of Ropes. It is an embedded component, hiding it from sight and making it usable with a thought. This component takes up an arm slot, rendering it impossible to wear anything on the used arm
Description: The Rod is inserted into the person's arm and therefore hidden from sight. However, a normal rod of ropes is 18 inches long, so if the person's arm from wrist to elbow is shorter than 18 inches, a part of the black, shiny rod sticks out of his elbow. If the rod isn't completely covered by an arm and is spotted, a person can determine the component with a DC:10 knowledge (engineering) check.

Activation: All the functions of this component can be activated with a thought from the wearer, and take a swift action to activate. Anything grasped in the grappling hook hand is dropped when the component is activated.

Effect: The arm has three functions, each function can be employed an unlimited number of times. However, no two functions can be used at the same time.
Rope: When activated, rope begins to extrude from one end of the arm, that can be the palm of the hand or the part sticking out the elbow. The rope comes out at a rate of 60 feet per round. The arm can extrude 300 feet of rope in this manner. The rope can be stopped from extruding with a thought and can be drawn in with a thought, also at a speed of 60 feet per round. Any knot in the rope unties when it comes within 30 feet of the arm.

Grappling hand and Rope: When activated, the hand is launched in the direction you point it. A length of rope, up to 300 feet long, trails behind the hand and is connected with the remaining part of the arm. All 300 feet can be discharged in 1 round. The rope stops unreeling if the hand strikes something solid (including a creature) or if you give it a quick backward jerk. A thought retracts the rope, drawing the arm end towards the hand if secured properly, drawing up to 60 feet per round.
This function can be used to attack and push back opponents within 30 feet (beyond that distance it lacks sufficient power). On a successful ranged attack (no range increment) the hand deals damage according to the rules in the extra information. The force of the blow is considerable and those struck by it are subject to a bull rush effect (treat hand as having a +5 bonus on its opposed check). The hand cannot pursue a pushed opponent.

Hand,Hook and slide: When activating function #3, the elbow part of the Rod sprouts three sharp grappling hooks. A second thought launches the hand and the spiked end in opposite directions simultaneously. A length of rope, up to 300 feet long, trails behind each launched section and connects in the middle of the arm (all 600 feet of rope can discharge in 1 round). The grappling hook and the hand function just like in function 2, with the ability to damage and bull rush. A third thought slightly widens the users arm giving it the room to slide along the rope. The arm can’t be removed from the rope. The user can slide across the rope hanging from his arm regardless of the angle of the rope or the load on it (up to 1000 pounds). Sliding down the rope is at the speed the user desires, from 0 to 60 feet per round or releasing ‘brakes’ which will let you travel according to gravity. If attached firmly, the rope does not sag.

Extra information:
-When launching the hand, you cannot move it anymore, treat it like an inanimate object. The hand is launched in a claw shape.
- The hand needs to be in a claw shape to be launched. Any object, weapon, or item is dropped before launching. Only a battlefist or gauntlet, which do not interfere with the hand's position, can be launched in this manner. Increase the damage to 1d6+(damage from the gauntlet) + (any enchantment effect on the gauntlet). Strength modifiers are not applied since you are not putting your own force in the punch.
-When the grappling hook from function 3 hits a creature it does 1d6 damage.
-When the rope is launched the hand can be used as an improvised flail. It has a 10 feet range (any longer would be unwieldy) and does damage equal your natural slam attack or the damage of the gauntlet (whichever is higher) + any enchantment damage + strength modifier. You get -2 on your hit roll for every 5 feet over 10 feet.
-Whenever a load is hung from the rope, it can be reeled in as long as the weight does not exceed 1000 pounds. When the weight does exceed 1000 pounds, the rope will not reel in. Note: this reeling power comes from the component itself and has nothing to do with the user's strength.
-At any time during use, the arm can be returned to its normal state with a thought. Keeping in mind that the rope retracts at 60 feet per round.
-The rope has 4 HP, Hardness: 1, Break DC 23
-Should the rope be cut, you cannot use the part of the component on which side the rope was cut. If cutting the rope severs the hand from the rest of the arm, use of the hand can be regained by attaching it to the arm (this takes a move action). If all pieces are recovered, a repair spell will negate the damage. If part or all of the rope is lost from one end of the component, the entire rope must be replaced. This can be purchased for 60 gp. If the hand or grappling hook are lost, new ones can be forged. 1 gp for the hook and 100 gp for a new hand.

Aura/Caster level: Moderate transmutation; CL 10th
Construction: Craft rod, animate rope, 2500 gp, 160 XP, 4 days.
Weight: 4 lb.
Price: 5000 gp.

Did i get the pricing right?
Why this is so cool (imo) is it could make me spider man :D but it wasn't quite there yet, i mean, if you shoot your hand away, you can't possibly move it right? it's not connected anymore. And not moving your hand kinda makes holding on to stuff impossible. So i figured: you (i) can get it upgraded:

Movable hand: Using the same method used to create a grasping hook, you can now move the hand after launch. Grabbing a ledge, enemy, or ‘walking’ it around corners are all possibilities.
This upgrade can be done twice, one on the hand, one on the elbow part of the rod so the grappling hook is now a grasping hook.
-Note: the hand still needs to be in a claw shape to launch, any movement of the hand takes place after launching, so objects are still dropped.
-When using the hand as a grappling hook, since the hand can now try to hold on, use your grapple bonus as a bonus to Use Rope check.
-With this upgrade, instead of bull rushing when the hand touches a creature, you can clamp the hand shut and attempt to grapple (normal grapple rules apply). A successfully grappled creature can be reeled in if you win a strength check (d20+str mod). Reeling in moves at 60 feet per round. The losing creature also rolls a balance check (10 or higher) for every 10 feet he is being dragged or else he falls prone.
-After launch, you can grab objects with the hand. Using the objects as an improvised flail. -4 to hit and the damage depends on the size of the object.
Construction: Craft wondrous item, bull's strength, 250 gp, 4 xp, 1 day.
Price: 750 gp

(note: this is just basicaly the grasping hook from dungeonscape...)

And to make sure some nasty gnome does not cut your rope when you are hanging from it. there is a second upgrade: Infusing the rope with your armor.

Strong ropes: The magical rope is infused with the warforged's own body armor, making it harder to break. Also giving the rope the color of the material used.
-Warforged with composite plating or Ironwood Body gets a rope with 20 HP, Hardness 10, Break DC 23
-Warforged with Mithral Body get a rope with 30 HP, Hardness 15, Break DC 23
-Warforged with Adamantine Body get a rope with 40 HP, Hardness 20, Break DC 23
Construction: Craft wondrous item, 300 gp, 10 xp, 1 day

I would like some feedback on this, specially because it's my first attempt at homebrew and have no idea if it is even remotely close to something balanced.
And since this could be a very diverse item, let me know what you can think up to do with it.

Thanks a bunch!

[edit] The version in the spoilers is the final version. Let me know if you tried using this awsome component!

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-13, 07:07 PM
Hi there, I've got a Warforged character too and I've been messing around with a bunch of magic items for it so here's my two bits.

The concept is nice and it seems reasonable enough. I'm just going to point out a few details I think you might have overlooked.

Grappling hand and rope:
You say that the rope can pull 1000 lbs. but what if that 1000 lbs. is a creature that I've nabbed and I've made sure that the hand was upgraded to become a 'grasping hook'? I'd imagine that I would have to:
1. Make a touch attack
2. Make a strength check vs. the creature
Even though I know that most Warforged put a lot into STR. not all of them will have 20 STR. Does the 1000 lbs. mean how much strain it can take before breaking? or how much the item will pull by itself without taking the Warforged's actual STR. into account?

Hand, Hook and Slide:
I like this option since my Warforged is the typical Adamantine Plating Tank that has a Tower Shield and can't do much else other than swing a sword around. This gives Heavy Warforged (as I'm calling anyone who takes Adamantine Plating) more mobility than they would usually have.
However, the ability to slide up or down is a little confusing.
How fast can it slide?
Can you slide faster if you're going down? (releasing all the brakes on it)
Does it slow down when going up? (an 800 lb. Warforged is gonna be heavy and hard to move even with magic)

Battlefist being used:
Honestly, I wouldn't have chosen a Battlefist as my weapon but hey, it's your character. In my opinion, I'd say yes that you can use it with the Arm of Ropes but I'd try to figure out how much extra damage it does if it's being used. Too much and it's not gonna be balanced. Too little... well I don't need to explain that.
I'd say that the Arm of Ropes would take up the slot of wrists. So, you couldn't wear Bracers of Armor with the Arm of Ropes.

Rope in all versions:
O.K. now to the part I've been most worried about. What is the consequence of the rope getting cut by some devious goblin? Obviously you lose either your elbow or your hand but what about repairing the thing after you've beaten the offending goblin to a pulp? Plus, what would they have to beat in order to break the rope in the first place? (magic rope? or just normal rope?)

If you can flesh this out I think I'll ask my DM if I can use this. I'd like to be able to cross all those bridges he keeps on putting in without crashing through the boards when I step on it.:smalltongue:

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-14, 04:57 AM
If you can flesh this out I think I'll ask my DM if I can use this. I'd like to be able to cross all those bridges he keeps on putting in without crashing through the boards when I step on it.:smalltongue:

exactly! why can´t goblins just make a sturdy bridge for once?
as for the fleshing out, i am planning on doing so, but since i have never done it before all suggestions are welcome.

as for your comments:

I think you would have to make a check to see if you actually grab a creature. What that check would be i don't know, i am not very familiar with the rules.
Strenght check, i guess not. A normal rod of ropes can pull 1000 pounds without the strength of the user, so it can move quite a bit. Any creature heavier then that would require a strengt check i guess?

Sliding: releasing the breaks and going down would leave you in the clutches of gravity. Going up would be the same as pulling something up: 60 feet per round because is can normally pull 1000 pounds up, i would think a 800 pound WF won't be a problem.

Having it take the place of the wrist is a good idea, having it actually take some space might balance it out some more.
Using it with a weapon in hand raises a few quistions for me: is the effective range affected because the weapon is heavy? Can i just use the damage roll of the weapon (increasing it to 1D8 for me, but if i get a really strong weapon it can become very over powered)?

On cutting the rope: the disciption of the rod of ropes states that the rope is just as hard as the rod. it does not give any stats on the rod though so i am a little lost. I think since the rope comes out of nowhere it is a magical rope. Does 5 hp AC 10 sound like a good sturdy rope?
Cutting the rope would make you incapable of moving your hand (no connection to your nervous system and all that) but if you recover it and 'screw' it back on your wrist i'd say you regain funcion in it. The rope function can not be used again until you fix it.
Fixing it: take it to an articifer for repair. not the whole thing but the rope making it 500 gp to fix? (just a wild gues on my part)
or since it is magic it might reapair itself after 24 hours?

what do you think is best?

Mangles
2013-01-14, 05:45 AM
The grappling fist is an application and improvement on a standard Rod of Ropes. The Rod is embedded in the warforged’s arm. Hiding it from sight and making it usable with a thought. The Rod keeps its three uses with one difference: when normally the front segment of the rod would grow a grappling hook and get launched, the embedded component will launch the warforged hand.
fine. Although I think you should stop mentioning the Rod so much. It is a new item that functions in a similar fashion, but because you list all the ways it works there is no need to keep referencing it.

Description: The Rod is inserted into the persons arm and therefore hidden from sight. However, a normal rod of ropes is 18 inches long, so if the persons arm from wrist to elbow is shorter than 18 inches, a part of the black shiny rod sticks out of his elbow.

A little odd with the elbow thing but I guess it could come up. Maybe include a knowledge check to tell if that is a rod if it can be seen. something like: "If the rod isn't completely covered by an arm and is spotted, an person can determine the warforged component with a DC:10 knowledge (engineering) check."

Activation: All the functions of this component can be activated with a thought from the wearer, and take a swift action to activate. You cannot use it while holding something.

Last sentence should be changed slightly. "Anything grasped in the grappling hook hand is dropped when this component is activated."

Effect: The arm has three functions, just like the Rod of Ropes. Each function can be employed an unlimited number of times. However, no two functions can be used at the same time.
fine, but again the rod thing.

Rope: When activated, rope begins to extrude from one end of the arm, that can be the palm of the hand or the part sticking out the elbow. The rope comes out at a rate of 60 feet per round. The arm can extrude 300 feet of rope in this manner. The rope can be stopped from extruding with a thought and be drawn in with a thought, this also at a speed of 60 feet per round. Any knot in the rope unties when it comes within 30 feet of the arm.

Either add the 1000 pound clause to this little section or add to this (and the others) a clause about your reel in ability being able to reel what your character considers a drag load. At 15 strength this is 1000 lbs, but it changes for character to character.

Grappling hand and Rope: When activated, the hand is launched at the direction you point it. A length of rop up to 300 feet long trails behind the hand and is connected with the remaining part of the arm. All 30 feet can be discharged in 1 round. The rope stops unreeling if the hand strikes something solid (including a creature) or if you give it a quick backward jerk. A thought retracts the rope drawing the arm end towards the hand if secured properly. The retracting feature can pull up to 1000 pounds with it, drawing up to 60 feet per round.
spelling mistake rop instead of rope. Listed 30 feet instead of 300.

"When the rope stops unreeling the hand clamps shut, trying to grip onto whatever it struck."

This function can be used to attack and push back opponents within 30 feet (beyond that distance it lacks sufficient power). On a successful ranged attack (no range increment) the hand deals 1D6 points of damage. The force of the blow is considerable, and those struck by it are subject to a bull rush effect (treat hand as having a +5 bonus on its opposed check). The hand cannot pursue a pushed opponent.

Regarding damage: Use your slam attack or unarmed damage whichever is higher. The rest is fine, except maybe you want to make the hand be able to start a grapple instead of a bullrush. Your call there, it could go either way.

Hand,Hook an slide: when activating function #3, the elbow part of the Rod sprout three sharp grappling hooks. A second thought launches the hand and the spiked end in opposite directions simultaneously. A length of rope up to 300 feet long trails behind each launched section and connects in the middle of the arm (all 600 feet of rope can discharge in 1 round). The grappling hook and the hand function just like in function 2, with the ability to bull rush. A third thought slightly widens the users arm giving it the room to slide along the rope. The arm can’t be removed from the rope. The user can slide across the rope hanging from his arm regardless of the angle of the rope or the load on it (up to 1000 pounds). If attached firmly the rope does not sag.
Fine

When launching the hand, you cannot move it anymore, treat it like an inanimate object. The hand remains in the position you launched it in.
At any time during use, the arm can be returned to his normal state with a thought. Keeping in mind that rope retracts at 60 feet per round.

Should the rope be cut and the pieces recovered a simple mend or repair spell will negate the damage. If part or all of the rope is lost from one end of the component, that ends entire rope must be replaced. This can be purchased for 60gp. If the hand or grappling hook is lost a new one can be forged. 1gp for the grappling hook or 100 gp for a standard hand.

Movable hand: using the same method used to create a grasping hook, you can now move the hand after launch, grabbing a ledge, enemy of ‘walking’ it around corners are all possibilities.
This upgrade can be done twice, one on the hand, one on the elbow part of the rod so the grappling hook is now a grasping hook.
Construction: Craft wondrous item, bulls strength, 250 gp, 4 xp, 1 day.
Price: 500 gp

This is good too.

All in all I like the component. You should maybe make it really clear it takes up the arm slot (is there a difference between arm and hand, I can't remember). The weight being based off str is, I feel, more elegant than just a flat 1000 lbs. The hand grasping onto whatever it hits is going to get you into trouble sometimes, but that's what forethought is for. This doesn't negate the need for the upgrade. You can't let go of what you grab without it. The price is fine for the component and the upgrade.

Well done.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-14, 07:15 AM
Well done.

Yay :smallbiggrin:

i edited in some of the changes you all suggested. I am still thinking about the damage/bull rush part and the load increasing with the users strengt.
Please keep the feedback/ideas coming. i'll edit more when i am back from classes.

Thanks so far!

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-14, 08:46 AM
On the point of the Battlefist, it's basically an oversized gauntlet that's been weaponized. I still think you can use it.
I think I might have a solution to your grapple/bull rush dilemma.
If you get the later augment you can initiate a grapple afterwards instead of a bull rush.

To make it clear that it takes up an arm slot maybe have a description like this:

This bracer seems to be larger and heavier than most others of its kind, seemingly made to fit an ogre rather than a human.

Although some smart PC might say, "It's only a single 'bracer' so I can do something else to my other arm. Maybe a wand case."
Maybe make it two? it would give mobility for that warforged that just has to carry a whole armory as well as weigh almost 1000 lbs.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-14, 05:03 PM
On the point of the Battlefist, it's basically an oversized gauntlet that's been weaponized. I still think you can use it.

Wouldn't the weight of the fist make the hand too heavy? also, could we device an upgrade that's more universal? something that would allow it to launch any weapon or object held in the hand?

I think I might have a solution to your grapple/bull rush dilemma.
If you get the later augment you can initiate a grapple afterwards instead of a bull rush.

Good idea, but i like the idea from Mangles too about the hand shutting whenever it hits something? wich seems best?

Although some smart PC might say, "It's only a single 'bracer' so I can do something else to my other arm. Maybe a wand case."
Maybe make it two? it would give mobility for that warforged that just has to carry a whole armory as well as weigh almost 1000 lbs.

I don't see why it is a bad thing too only having it take one arm. And a warforged who puts a different hidden weapon in every limb is awesome. But it sould be really clear that the used arm is now unable to wear anything else. thanks for pointing it out.

How to handle the load carrying? a person with 15 strength can take 100 pounds, and this increases with 100/150 per strength? what would be reasonable?

if a creature is grappled (is that spelling correct?) it depend on who pulls the hardest. Both roll d20 plus strength mod you get an extra +3 beacause the arm reels in the rope too. Winner stands his ground. Loser gets pulled towards the winner at 60 feet per round, also makes balance check (10 or higher) not to fall down.

feedback welcome and apreciated as usual.

P.s. please excuse any spelling mistakes or not understandable sentences. englisch isn't my native language and i am extremely tired right now.

The LOBster
2013-01-14, 07:31 PM
Personally (and it's probably my inner Transformers geek talking), I could also see this as counting as a flail of sorts - after the hand's been launched, the Warforged just clenches his fist and bashes some heads in :P

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-15, 04:27 AM
so launching the hand and then swingin' it around like ya just don't care? could work, there would be some penalty for hitting anything. -2? or just grab something, a table/chair/cabinet, and fling it around the room as an improvised weapon.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-15, 02:11 PM
Battlefist being too heavy: A magical device that can launch a metal hand with rope 300 ft. in an instant is going to have a lot of force behind it in my opinion, maybe reduce the range by half if you're still worried about it.

About the hand shutting: You can possibly say that the hand is locked in a claw shape when you use it as a grappling hook (it can't exactly grab anything since in order for it to do so it needs to hit the outside of the hand instead of the palm.) since you're probably going to try to latch onto a ledge most of the time. The augment could allow you to change the shape of the hand in mid-launch

The grapple rules seem to be fine. Although I'd keep the strength limitations the same. A fast and easy rule that I think would help with the balance would be 10 + difference in STR. checks.

On the hand flail I could see it happening but I would probably say you couldn't it everything with it. It's hard to get something moving the longer the rope is and there's a reason why Whirlwind Attack is there.
Plus, only a part of the 'flail' is going to actually hurt, the rest is just going to get tangled up in someone's shield unless you have some training with it.
I would personally say if used as a flail you can get up to 10 ft. in reach with it. Afterwards, it's too unwieldy as a weapon and add -2 per 5 feet after 10 ft.

P.S. I'm starting to think about making something like Samus Aran's Power suit if I can implement this.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-16, 04:36 AM
Battlefist being too heavy: A magical device that can launch a metal hand with rope 300 ft. in an instant is going to have a lot of force behind it in my opinion, maybe reduce the range by half if you're still worried about it.

Ok, sounds reasonable. So a battlefist would be an exception to the rule 'everything is dropped when launching the hand.' And then just use the damage of the battlefist? or is a melee attack with 30 feet range a bit too much?
And i can imagine that when you have the grasping hand upgrade, you can hold any one-handed weapon while launching. But again 30 feet melee attack? i can imagine with standart weapons it isn't that much, but enchanted weapons with that range could be a bit too much?

About the hand shutting: You can possibly say that the hand is locked in a claw shape when you use it as a grappling hook (it can't exactly grab anything since in order for it to do so it needs to hit the outside of the hand instead of the palm.) since you're probably going to try to latch onto a ledge most of the time. The augment could allow you to change the shape of the hand in mid-launch

i like it! keeps it simple and really makes you want to get the upgrade.

So the flail rule woud be: 'The hand and rope can be used as a flail with a 10 feet range (1d6 dmg) for every 5 feet over 10 it gets unwieldy and you get -2 on attack roll'

On cutting the rope: the disciption of the rod of ropes states that the rope is just as hard as the rod. it does not give any stats on the rod though so i am a little lost. I think since the rope comes out of nowhere it is a magical rope. Does 5 hp AC 10 sound like a good sturdy rope?

i was also thinking about a new upgrade since you can get in serious trouble if your rope is cut. An upgrade that infuses the rope with the material of your armour (warforged can have mithril, adamantium, steel etc skin) so depending on the warforged the rope would be stronger, higher AC and hitpoints. THoughts on this?

P.S. I'm starting to think about making something like Samus Aran's Power suit if I can implement this.

if you do start on this, let me know. I would like to share some thoughts on it

[update] i updated the original post to include the rules for grapling and some of the options of the movable hand upgrade. When i started this i didn't realise how much options you get with it. Keep it coming guys!

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-16, 08:45 AM
Weapons and launching:
The Battlefist is somewhat reasonable to launch since it is the shape of the hand. Maybe make a special note about gauntlets since this is just a big gauntlet in all respects. Weapons getting launched would really mess around with balancing. So here's a bit of fluff that I thought of to keep people from doing that.

The hand must begin in a claw shape, making it impossible to hold anything in the hand being launched, conventional or attached. Only a battlefist or gauntlet, which do not interfere with the hand's position, can be launched in this manner.

Damage:
I'd make the damage go like this to keep people from taking advantage of even the humble battlefist. 1d6 + 1d6 (battlefist) + magic enhancement of Battlefist. (Str. isn't applied since you're not actually slamming your fist into their face personally.)

Artificers, exploitation, rule it:
I'll point something out. An Artificer could make a Warforged really powerful and consequentially their equipment. There's always going to be someone who spots something we didn't and decides to exploit it. For example:
I used an augment called Blueshine on my 'armor' which basically makes my 'armor' immune to rust and acid damage. However, my 'armor' is me. My DM ruled that since my 'armor' covers my entire body I'm immune to acid and rust now. The augment only cost 500 gp I think.
Remember, your DM can rule things if he sees it as too powerful or too unreasonable. So you can usually have at least one failsafe.

Upgrading Rope:
Making the rope into adamantine? Hmmm, I'd say make it a chain instead if you get it but other than that small fluff...
I LIKE IT! No more getting the 'bridge' cut out from under you! Mwa ha ha! Doom is coming on swift- errr... lumbering wings- errr... yeah...

Samus Aran Style suit:
I think the easiest way to do this would be just making the race Warforged instead of making a whole suit set. But we could do it that way. Although I'm wondering if it should be a set or just a lot of magic items put in the same place.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-16, 04:24 PM
weapons:
Good subtle solution! you can still move the hand if you have the upgrade, but still making it impossible to overpower using weapons.

damage: also nice idea, 1d6 + battlefist or gauntlet damage + magical properties would be the total damage. (BTW, battlefist has 1d8)
Does hitting something still initiate a bull rush?

there is always someone who will scavange the rules for a loophole (especially on this forum :P). But i am assuming that if you use homebrew, you assume it's not perfect and don't abuse it.
I am going to try that blueshine trick however :D

What would be needed for the rope upgrade? transmutation or just craft armor? 500 gp enough or higher since it does remove a big weakness.

Using it as a flail: what if you grap a chair or a table, how could we rule smashing it in to people? same hit chance as the flail thing but higher damage depending on the object?

Aran suit: somewhere on the playground i found a homebrew called warforged armor or something like that. it let you wear a dead warforged 'skin/body' as armorl. hello suit/iron man!

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-16, 05:27 PM
Here is the rope upgrade worked out:
Strong ropes: The magical rope is infused with the warforged own body armor making it harder to break. Also giving the rope the color of the material used.
-Warforged with composite plating gets a rope with 5 HP (AC 12)
-Warforged with Mithral body get a rope with 6 HP (AC 15)
-warforged with Adamantine body get a rope with8 HP (AC 18)
Construction: Craft weapons and armor, 300 gp, 10 xp, 1 day
Price: 600 gp

Too expensive? Ropes too strong? let me know before i add it in.

i also changed the hand shape thing, some of the grappling, and added the flail rules in the original post. Also put the breaking point for the rope in.

Things i am still thinking on:
- liftable weight: make it depend on strenth? 1000 pounds is standard and 100 pounds extra lift per strenght above 15? something like that?
-flailing around furniture
-any options i missed, my DM normally doesn't allow homebrew because it is 'too messy' so i want to give him something that has the least holes in it as possible.

TuggyNE
2013-01-16, 09:39 PM

Side note: Morph Bark is already working on a pretty comprehensive version.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-16, 10:59 PM
Revisions: They look nice but after hearing about your DM I think I'd change the damage since this is more of a mobility item more than anything else.

Bull Rush damage and Flail damage:
I'd say that the current rules sound fine to me but I'd say to change the damage so that it starts out like this.
natural slam attack damage or battlefist damage (whichever is greater) + enhancement + Str. (if flail)

I could very easily see your DM making a point about damage if you have something like flaming on your battlefist. Although since you can only use the Bull Rush function as a standard action due to the rules, maybe he won't mind if you point that out.

Crafting the rope:
I know you would need either the Craft Wondrous Item or Craft Rod feat in order to modify it. I'd imagine that you'd most likely buy the thing instead.

Rope HP and more: O.K. first off, I didn't notice this before but I looked it up and how you do ropes is this way:
HP and Hardness (hardness is basically Damage Reduction for items)

Second off, the stats your proposing would be too weak really if the rope is actually made of the stuff. The pricing would be fine in my opinion, although your DM might want to change the pricing on it, so don't be afraid to change it.

So the statistics for all of these would be:
Rope 1 inch (normal): HP: 2 Hardness: 0 Break DC: 23
Iron Rope (chain) 1 inch: HP: 30 Hardness: 10
Ironwood Rope (chain?) 1 inch: HP 30 Hardness: 10
Mithral Rope (chain) 1 inch: HP: 30 Hardness: 15
Adamantine Rope (chain) 1 inch: HP: 40 Hardness: 20

The Composite Plating is the Iron. The rope is made from magic so I'm not sure what it's actual HP and Hardness would be...

Lifting Weight:
Hmmm, maybe make it depend on the material? I'd assume that the harder the material the more strain it could take. Although since the rope is magical I don't know how much it would take originally take. 1000 pounds for normal rope seems too much, so it's obviously magical rope.

Grabbing objects with the flail:
That's actually pretty easy, you'd just count it as an improvised weapon and use the furniture's damage instead of your own. So that would mean you get -4 to hit and the damage would be variable since the damage depends on how large the thing is.

Aran Suit:
Errr... I think I might leave off on the other homebrew for now since I have no idea where to find it. Sounds interesting though.
My thought was to do it like this:
Grappling Arm, Armbow (only +1 to cut down the cost), Mithral Body (for good AC and least amount of Armor Check Penalty), Rogue Class (or Monk Class if I get a good Wis. and Dex. which negates the need for Mithral Body), Shot on the Run Feat (with all prerequisites of course), and Exotic Weapon Proficiency.
To start that is...

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-17, 05:31 AM
The flail damage would have been a bit much. But for the bull rush damage i think it fits quite well.

Crafting rope upgrade: i put the contruction part in so the dm knows where you can buy it, not every merchant can just whip up magic items and such.

ropes itself need the change, i just never looked at rope stats and just whipped this up :P
Sorry, not used to all terms, DC would be the needed roll to hit right? and this stays the same for all ropes. only HP and dmg reduction increase. adamantium rope then looks pretty indestructable (i like it!)
Normal rope is 2 hp hardness 0 so magic rope is 4 hp 2 hardness? just a little bump.

Lifting: A normal Rod of ropes onwich i based this all can lift 1000 pounds, so i figured the item itself could lift that, is the wielder really strong however he could lift more.
The rope breaking with too much weight on it would depend on the kind of rope (the hardness you mentioned) and the weight of the load that is being lifted. Sounds complicated :S

i added the furniture part under the movable hand upgrade.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-17, 08:35 AM
O.K. for the damage then.

On the rope's AC, they are all the same if they are subject to being sundered. However, whether they actually get broken (hardness makes this tough for a normal NPC or monster to do).

If you're carrying or wearing the item they want to sunder the AC is 10 + the item's size modifier + the Dexterity modifier of the carrying or wearing character.
I wouldn't worry about adding this part though. It's your DM's responsability to manage stuff like sunder attempts. You just provide the stats.

Rod of Ropes:
Hmmm, which book is this found in? Since you're basing this item off of the Rod of Ropes it might be a good idea to see about the carrying capacity confusion we keep running into.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-17, 08:47 AM
I am not familiar with sundering. new to the rules and all that.

the Rod of ropes comes from complete scoundrel. grasping hook (hand upgrade) from dungeonscape.

posted from my phone.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-17, 08:49 AM
O.K. thanks, I'll take a look at the thing and try to see the problem about weight that keeps coming to haunt this homebrew.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-17, 09:06 AM
O.K., O.K., O.K. I think I've found the issue that's been plagueing this homebrew.
How I'm seeing it is this way, it can pull 1000 pounds.
However, depending on which object (or creature) is secured, that part is dragged with no bonuses from the wielder. The Grappling Arm in this case would do all the work.
I wouldn't add any bonuses from the wielder.

Random Thought about exploitation of this:
The Rod of Ropes and the Grappling Arm could both be used to act as an improvised 'mule' if the wielder doesn't feel any strain. You'd just have to dig yourself in very firmly and make sure that the thing you're dragging has wheels.
Personally, it would be too much of a headache to manage, although if you're determined enough you're welcome to try.

Grasping Hook: I'm not sure whether the Grasping Hook's 25 Str. should be used or the Warforged's. I would think the Warforged's but it could be modified. Oh, you forgot the bonuses the upgrade bestows for grapple mode.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-18, 04:49 AM
So we just keep it simple: when you pull or hang something from the rope, it can't be heavier then 1000 pounds. Consequences? Rope breaks or it just wont lift anymore?

Since we use the warforged own hand, i say use his strength. But a little bonus for grappling is apropriate. Grapsing hook gives +6 on use rope. does this item do so too?

these are about the last things, almost done :D

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-18, 12:14 PM
Hmmm, the 1000 pounds consequences is really up to the DM.
Snapping would be more dramatic and would make some sense.
Not lifting entirely is more forgiving and makes sense in the fact that the rope is magical after all.
Personally I'd say it snaps if more than 1000 pounds comes onto it.

O.K. the Grasping Hook is basically animated with 24 Str. if we look at it it's basically a creature that has +0 Base Attack and +6 due to Str. = +6 to grapple. It's a lot easier to secure a hook when the hook is deliberately trying to hold onto something firm instead of you just throwing it and hoping it catches on something solid.
I would say to use your Grapple bonus to determine how much you gain. That way, the movable hand becomes even more useful. However, your DM might say to up the price on it or not allow it, so maybe doing just Str. Bonus would be a safer bet.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-19, 01:54 PM
so when using it as a grappling hook. use you own grapple bonus as a bonus on use rope check?

that way the item gets better if you do. so it's better to invest in it. so i think the price for the upgrade should be higher too.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-19, 03:23 PM
Hmmm, maybe 750-1000? It's better but it's not earth-shattering.

Mangles
2013-01-20, 02:18 AM
Aran suit: somewhere on the playground i found a homebrew called warforged armor or something like that. it let you wear a dead warforged 'skin/body' as armorl. hello suit/iron man!

I actually made that. Heres a linky. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220179)

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-20, 05:15 AM
I actually made that. Heres a linky.

Ok cool, thanks for the link. If i or anyone ever tries to make another aran suit, that would be a cool starting point.

Grappling fist:
I think it's quite done. i added in the rope upgrade. the load is just 1000 pounds max, no weird rules. and the hand upgrade actually works like a better grappling hook now.

does anyone have any objections?

Mangles
2013-01-20, 05:30 AM
looks good

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-20, 01:24 PM
Sorry but there's a bit of a problem that I can see after rereading the whole entire thing.

"Sliding down the rope is at the speed the user desires, from 0 to 60 feet per second or releasing ‘breaks’ which will let you travel according to gravity."

A round is 6 seconds. According to this, it's saying you can travel up to 360 feet in a round. I think you should change that. Also it's spelled 'brakes'. The breaks you're talking about kind of makes it sound like you have to snap your own rope in order to travel faster.

There are also a few grammatical errors but that's just because grammar is my pet peeve. :smalltongue:
Although I could edit the grammar for you if you want.

Also, what if a Warforged with the Ironwood Body Feat wants this and the rope upgrade? Maybe make a note that it's the same as the Composite Plating?

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-20, 04:08 PM
i meant 60 feet per round or course...
i will add ironwood body, i forgot that still existed :P

and for the grammar: edit away! i can carry an englisch conersation, but the fine points of all the spelling and grammar elude me. so if you want to correct it you are welcome to do so.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-20, 06:41 PM
Here's the actual Arm of Ropes made pretty.
The grappling fist is an application and improvement on a standard Rod of Ropes. It is an embedded component, hiding it from sight and making it usable with a thought. This component takes up an arm slot, rendering it impossible to wear anything on the used arm
Description: The Rod is inserted into the person's arm and therefore hidden from sight. However, a normal rod of ropes is 18 inches long, so if the person's arm from wrist to elbow is shorter than 18 inches, a part of the black, shiny rod sticks out of his elbow. If the rod isn't completely covered by an arm and is spotted, a person can determine the component with a DC:10 knowledge (engineering) check.

Activation: All the functions of this component can be activated with a thought from the wearer, and take a swift action to activate. Anything grasped in the grappling hook hand is dropped when the component is activated.

Effect: The arm has three functions, each function can be employed an unlimited number of times. However, no two functions can be used at the same time.
Rope: When activated, rope begins to extrude from one end of the arm, that can be the palm of the hand or the part sticking out the elbow. The rope comes out at a rate of 60 feet per round. The arm can extrude 300 feet of rope in this manner. The rope can be stopped from extruding with a thought and can be drawn in with a thought, also at a speed of 60 feet per round. Any knot in the rope unties when it comes within 30 feet of the arm.

Grappling hand and Rope: When activated, the hand is launched in the direction you point it. A length of rope, up to 300 feet long, trails behind the hand and is connected with the remaining part of the arm. All 300 feet can be discharged in 1 round. The rope stops unreeling if the hand strikes something solid (including a creature) or if you give it a quick backward jerk. A thought retracts the rope, drawing the arm end towards the hand if secured properly, drawing up to 60 feet per round.
This function can be used to attack and push back opponents within 30 feet (beyond that distance it lacks sufficient power). On a successful ranged attack (no range increment) the hand deals damage according to the rules in the extra information. The force of the blow is considerable and those struck by it are subject to a bull rush effect (treat hand as having a +5 bonus on its opposed check). The hand cannot pursue a pushed opponent.

Hand,Hook and slide: When activating function #3, the elbow part of the Rod sprouts three sharp grappling hooks. A second thought launches the hand and the spiked end in opposite directions simultaneously. A length of rope, up to 300 feet long, trails behind each launched section and connects in the middle of the arm (all 600 feet of rope can discharge in 1 round). The grappling hook and the hand function just like in function 2, with the ability to damage and bull rush. A third thought slightly widens the users arm giving it the room to slide along the rope. The arm can’t be removed from the rope. The user can slide across the rope hanging from his arm regardless of the angle of the rope or the load on it (up to 1000 pounds). Sliding down the rope is at the speed the user desires, from 0 to 60 feet per round or releasing ‘brakes’ which will let you travel according to gravity. If attached firmly, the rope does not sag.

Extra information:
-When launching the hand, you cannot move it anymore, treat it like an inanimate object. The hand is launched in a claw shape.
- The hand needs to be in a claw shape to be launched. Any object, weapon, or item is dropped before launching. Only a battlefist or gauntlet, which do not interfere with the hand's position, can be launched in this manner. Increase the damage to 1d6+(damage from the gauntlet) + (any enchantment effect on the gauntlet). Strength modifiers are not applied since you are not putting your own force in the punch.
-When the grappling hook from function 3 hits a creature it does 1d6 damage.
-When the rope is launched the hand can be used as an improvised flail. It has a 10 feet range (any longer would be unwieldy) and does damage equal your natural slam attack or the damage of the gauntlet (whichever is higher) + any enchantment damage + strength modifier. You get -2 on your hit roll for every 5 feet over 10 feet.
-Whenever a load is hung from the rope, it can be reeled in as long as the weight does not exceed 1000 pounds. When the weight does exceed 1000 pounds, the rope will not reel in. Note: this reeling power comes from the component itself and has nothing to do with the user's strength.
-At any time during use, the arm can be returned to its normal state with a thought. Keeping in mind that the rope retracts at 60 feet per round.
-The rope has 4 HP, Hardness: 1, Break DC 23
-Should the rope be cut, you cannot use the part of the component on which side the rope was cut. If cutting the rope severs the hand from the rest of the arm, use of the hand can be regained by attaching it to the arm (this takes a move action). If all pieces are recovered, a repair spell will negate the damage. If part or all of the rope is lost from one end of the component, the entire rope must be replaced. This can be purchased for 60 gp. If the hand or grappling hook are lost, new ones can be forged. 1 gp for the hook and 100 gp for a new hand.

Aura/Caster level: Moderate transmutation; CL 10th
Construction: Craft rod, animate rope, 2000 gp, 160 XP, 4 days.
Weight: 4 lb.
Price: 5000 gp.

Here's the Movable Hand Upgrade made pretty:
Movable hand: Using the same method used to create a grasping hook, you can now move the hand after launch. Grabbing a ledge, enemy, or ‘walking’ it around corners are all possibilities.
-Note: the hand still needs to be in a claw shape to launch, any movement of the hand takes place after launching, so objects are still dropped.
-When using the hand as a grappling hook, since the hand can now try to hold on, use your grapple bonus as a bonus to Use Rope check.
-With this upgrade, instead of bull rushing when the hand touches a creature, you can clamp the hand shut and attempt to grapple (normal grapple rules apply). A successfully grappled creature can be reeled in if you win a strength check (d20+str mod). Reeling in moves at 60 feet per round. The losing creature also rolls a balance check (10 or higher) for every 10 feet he is being dragged or else he falls prone.
-After launch, you can grab objects with the hand. Using the objects as an improvised flail. -4 to hit and the damage depends on the size of the object.
Construction: Craft wondrous item, bull's strength, 250 gp, 4 xp, 1 day.

And finally the Rope Upgrade made pretty (I added the Ironwood for you):
Strong ropes: The magical rope is infused with the warforged's own body armor, making it harder to break. Also giving the rope the color of the material used.
-Warforged with composite plating or Ironwood Body gets a rope with 20 HP, Hardness 10, Break DC 23
-Warforged with Mithral Body get a rope with 30 HP, Hardness 15, Break DC 23
-Warforged with Adamantine Body get a rope with 40 HP, Hardness 20, Break DC 23
Construction: Craft wondrous item, 300 gp, 10 xp, 1 day

Now I think you can just simply paste it back into your original.
I think we can now safely say that this Homebrew is finished!
(Unless the whole Internet crashes and loses all of its memory. In which case, we will have bigger things to worry about.:smallamused:)

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-22, 12:02 PM
thanks for the prettying!

we are done here. next stop: aproval town of DMington.

if anyone decides to use it, let me know, im curious if it works the way it should :P

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-22, 11:39 PM
I've put it forth to my colleagues and they seem to be fine with it. Although I didn't show them the actual thing.
Oh and no problem for the prettying. I'm glad to help! I like to homebrew a lot myself... although I don't post them is the problem... CURSE MY PROCRASTINATION!!:smallfurious:

Swaoeaeieu
2013-01-23, 04:03 AM
Just got an email. DM aproves, but wants the price at 6000. Since it would be too much of an advantage having it as a hidden piece of my PC's body.

I'll be swinging around the city in no-time!

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-23, 08:07 AM
O.K. then! 6k sounds good. Although I was hoping for the 5k. Oh well, take what you can get.
If I'm able to use this, I'll be passing by those pesky wooden bridges that can't support my weight with no problems!:smallbiggrin:

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-02-06, 03:15 AM
thanks for the prettying!

we are done here. next stop: aproval town of DMington.

if anyone decides to use it, let me know, im curious if it works the way it should :P

I'm planning on using this Homebrew this Saturday or next to torture the poor PCs who keep on grabbing characters that glaze over the exact details of their drawbacks (in other words, being able to do things they shouldn't be able to do :smallmad:). I'll let you know how it goes.:belkar:

Current idea on equipment of Warforged and type of terrain:
Warforged is a 7th level Monk with a Grappling Fist and an Armbow (basically a magic Repeating Crossbow)
They are going to be in an area where there are multiple floating orbs that are really easy to climb/grapple hook onto in a 240 ft area. This is all suspended over the classic bottomless pit. There is no teleportation capability in this area due to a Dimensional Anchor/DM powers. Flying is O.K. here.

Concerns:
I'm not sure if this was supposed to be swung from like a rope when you deployed the 2nd function but we'll see how it goes.
TARZAN WARFORGED!
:smallcool:

Or if you've seen George of the Jungle...
WATCH OUT FOR THAT-
*WHAM!*
-... tree...