PDA

View Full Version : What's the strangest campaign you've ever been in?

kardar233
2013-01-16, 05:24 AM
I just informed my GM of precisely how he could play upon my character's psychological weaknesses to turn them into a whimpering, quivering wreck.

What's the strangest campaign you've ever been in?

ArcturusV
2013-01-16, 06:10 AM
Probably the one where our DnD characters got Planeshifted into the Mushroom Kingdom (Super Mario Bros.).

hymer
2013-01-16, 07:29 AM
I remember one, where we were Frenchmen around the year 2000, who for no reason we knew were able users of medieval weapons. We were then sent by a secret government agency (which supplied us not with automatic firearms, as you’d have guessed) into an area with guerillas (who used spears and bows like us). Then we found a strange structure which sent us somewhere else in time (I think it was a year back or something). And each of our characters developed strange powers for no reason. At one time, the GM informed me what my character did, but he didn’t tell me why, thoroughly perplexing me. Then we entered the machine maybe half a dozen times trying to get back to our own time, the GM rolling dice behind the screen and going ‘Oh no’ theatrically. Then the session ended, and thankfully the GM never called another.

DigoDragon
2013-01-16, 08:36 AM
My brother, who isn't a role-player and never had experience in a game with my gaming group surprised all of us by running a one-shot Toon game that played very darn near the epicness of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Complete with integrated rules for Dip and consistent Toon logic that made us think about our plans.

And if you have ever played Toon, that right there is half the strange part. Toon is a silly game meant to burn a few hours for laughs, not end up as the kind of serious and invested campaign on the level like Expedition to Castle Ravenloft or Red Hand of Doom. :smallbiggrin:
The other half being how a non-RPer suddenly ran a great adventure.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-16, 08:52 AM
I've had lots of weird moments in campaigns; but the strangest campaign was probably one of the first I ever ran:

It started out set in the Sword of Shanara universe sometime around Elfstones of Shanara... and then the players proceeded to railroad their newbie DM all over the place.

By the end, we had a horse that knew Kung Fu (the paladins mount); a rogue who'd proclaimed herself queen of the elves, a final boss defeated with a piece of random loot* - oh yeah and they managed to open a gate to Midgard; which has nothing to do with the universe they were in.

All throughout this confusing mess was the saga of a very confused god of portals, who kept showing up at random, then leaving while saying "Woops, wrong door."

Oh yeah and at one point there was a band of goblins mercenaries the players met - said goblins had apparently learned this song (http://mistformsquirrel.deviantart.com/) and sang it as advertisement for their services.

... no it wasn't a particularly good campaign, but it was amusing. >.>

*A ring of mind shielding. They figured out that the final boss was in fact just a possessed druid and managed to get the ring on him.

Kaveman26
2013-01-16, 09:38 AM
This:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240332

scurv
2013-01-16, 08:06 PM
The quest to find the goose that layed golden eggs, In 1930's prohibition Chicago . with Chars from a homebrewed star-wars game system.

It was part of our DM This Challenge we use to do with quests, locations and game system's each being random.

I almost forgot to note, Al Capone owned us with a tommy guns!

Guizonde
2013-01-16, 08:42 PM
homebrewed one shot where our dm gave us roles:

-a watchmaker
-a (corrupt) judge (me)
-a war-veteran
-a contortionnist

we go to a resort to have some vacation time, and then we're accused of murder as everyone in the village forgets who we are, what they did the day before, our car and IDs disappear, the works. we get back to our lodge, and find a (very) shot up body. by this time, we're going "wtf", i find a pistol in my pocket, we get put in the paddy wagon aaaaaand fade to black.

we wake up in a jail cell in mexico with the guy we thought was dead, telling us that he just won. our memories start to return, and figure out he's the demon of forgetfulness. he erases memories. turns out we all become our angel forms:

in order:
-patience
-judgement
-courage
-freedom

freedom breaks us out of the cell, and patience finds a rift in the space-time continuum. we're blasted to the late cretacious, kill a dinosaur, find another rift, and we're sent near williamsburg, VA in 1778. we get out fast, aaand we're near a mayincatec temple, where there's this xbawks-hueg demon of blood (or something) we scrag it (with difficulty), i banish it forever, and his corpse allows us to get back to heaven, where apparently there's this huge war (good vs evil, nothing new). so anywho, we meet up with jesus, get some huge gear (like holy-rocket launching machine guns), and go on the battlefield. the pen and paper became a wargame (miniatures and everything) and it was jesus vs satan. each of us had a squadron, we strategize and manage to get the four of us through, into the last rift: a weird room where all four of us need to put our hands on the podium to banish evil, but one needs to remain behind for eternity. we do it, patience elects to stay back, and as the three remaining run to the rift, i fumble. i reroll, critical success: i slipped, almost fell, use my wings to escape the rift as michael bay style explosions go off behind me.

just typing that made me go "lolwut", so i can't even imagine if you guys understood. :smalleek:

Sith_Happens
2013-01-16, 09:21 PM
I'm in a D&D 3.5 campaign right now that's heck'a weird.

First off, we get a bunch of free LA, so right now the party is a Half-Gold Dragon Goliath, a Draconic Tiefling (me, I'm going to see about getting Phrenic thrown in as well), a Lizardfolk, and a human with a homebrew "Blind, gain Tremorsense 60 ft" trait (whose player is planning on rerolling as a Satyr).

The setting is basically Eberron-but-more-so in a fairy-tale-ish continent-spanning forest, with lots of steampunk influence in addition to all the magitech due to roving dead-magic zones that incentivize most wizards to also be engineers.

We haven't played many sessions yet, but some of the highlights so far include:
Crawling a pair virtual-reality dungeons to qualify for our adventuring licenses, which contained, among other encounters, a trio of half-fiend rabbits.
Stopping an enraged Warforged secretary from firing a Gate gun that would have sucked us into Baator.
Releasing a Hawaiian shirt-wearing Mind Flayer from a jar. He was quite friendly.

Loot acquired so far inclues, but is not limited to:
Unholy Carrots.
Two trapped souls.
A copy of the Necronomicon, full of doodles drawn by the choker that previously owned it and had a crush on Cthulu.
Coconuts of Mount.
A Bag of Holding in which any unused space is filled with coconuts.
A Fake Moustache of Charisma.
A +1 Sonic Spiked Chain that yells "Snap!" upon impact.

Oh, and my character (the Tielfing) banged a Half-Fey barkeep last session. I'm a bit worried to leave her in the cold, though, since she's also a mid-level Mindbender.:smalleek:

Togath
2013-01-17, 02:33 AM
It's more my part of the campaign so far, but in an urban sandbox pbp my character has gone from coming to the city seeking a legendary pomegranate that acts as an elixir of immortality(of the "it needs to be re-eaten once a century" type) if you eat it--he planned to turn it into steak marinade--to trying to escape a prison using pigeons, his shirt and the prison cell door, he's also been dyed neon orange.
He ended up in the prison because he got caught while selling stolen gems(obtained by sending pigeons he was controlling the bodies of into buildings with open windows until he found jewelry) to a jeweler(who had previously told him she was the one who made and sold the jewels he was trying to sell her...which probably should have been the sign to escape:smalltongue:)... once in his first cell, he escaped by destroying the hinges, and then tried to bludgeon the guard outside first with the door, and then with another live, mind controlled pigeon he was using as a flail. After trying to turn invisible to escape(the character was also a binder) he triggered a trap which dyed him neon orange.
He's now in his second cell...trying to escape by using his shirt as a tool to break part of the door to get a tool to break the door enough to escape again.

In a second campaign that’s still at the character creation phase I’ve ended up with a character who I built very frail, with his frailty and weakness and such being a prime motivator for him.
When his special ability was assigned(it’s a One Piece campaign, and my character is a devil fruit user) he ended up with toughness and endurance based abilities, as well as later on limited immortality, countering out most of his weaknesses.

Hunter Noventa
2013-01-18, 01:22 PM
We had a short-lived mutants and masterminds campaign. No one could really get into the style of it too well for whatever reason.

So very randomly, Evil Mecha Abraham Lincoln rose from a nearby river and began laying waste to the city. The piece of Mecha John Wilkes Boothe were fired down from the moon, we got in and combined Voltron-style in order to take out Evil Mecha Lincoln.

AgentofHellfire
2013-01-18, 06:17 PM
Hrrrrrm...

I can't exactly top anyone here, but...oh wait!

I can!

It was less of a campaign than it was a day of completely off-kilter silliness we three members of the group around did to amuse ourselves while waiting, and it was fairly awesome.

Basically, my friend and I were bards (sans magic) playing music for a party, when suddenly the party's host was killed by a poison that created stabbing wounds, and we were framed for it because my friend couldn't get blood off his hands from some...particularly fresh food item. Well, that and the guards were automata that automatically blamed anyone "red-handed" for the murder we went to trial for. So we ended up in jail, at which point I "cunningly" broke us out by biting open my wrists and smearing the blood on a guard's hand, causing the blood to make his hands red, causing him to be framed for the murder.

The reason why I put quotes around cunningly was that I'd forgotten to stop the bleeding. So I died, in short order, at which point my friend had to...do awful things with a necromancer to get me resurrected. At which point we still needed to find the real murderer, because we apparently had the victim's ghost tailing us. XD

It gets kind of fuzzy after that, but those were the highlights. XD

Guizonde
2013-01-20, 11:44 AM
Hrrrrrm...

I can't exactly top anyone here, but...oh wait!

I can!

It was less of a campaign than it was a day of completely off-kilter silliness we three members of the group around did to amuse ourselves while waiting, and it was fairly awesome.

Basically, my friend and I were bards (sans magic) playing music for a party, when suddenly the party's host was killed by a poison that created stabbing wounds, and we were framed for it because my friend couldn't get blood off his hands from some...particularly fresh food item. Well, that and the guards were automata that automatically blamed anyone "red-handed" for the murder we went to trial for. So we ended up in jail, at which point I "cunningly" broke us out by biting open my wrists and smearing the blood on a guard's hand, causing the blood to make his hands red, causing him to be framed for the murder.

The reason why I put quotes around cunningly was that I'd forgotten to stop the bleeding. So I died, in short order, at which point my friend had to...do awful things with a necromancer to get me resurrected. At which point we still needed to find the real murderer, because we apparently had the victim's ghost tailing us. XD

this is an AWESOME plot hook! just needs a bit more surrealism and i can legitimately mindscrew my gaming buddies! can i borrow?

Asheram
2013-01-20, 03:53 PM

.... I think I had a dream like that once.

AgentofHellfire
2013-01-20, 04:10 PM
this is an AWESOME plot hook! just needs a bit more surrealism and i can legitimately mindscrew my gaming buddies! can i borrow?

Well, it's not mine, but go ahead. I don't think the DM would care. XD

.... I think I had a dream like that once.

*would like to have a nice response, but can't think of anything*

...ahm...exactly like, or just similar?