PDA

View Full Version : VP/WP Variant(?)

Iron_Mouse
2006-11-04, 12:37 PM
Well, I'm planning a homebrew campaign with quite some variant- and houserules. Now I'm on the hit point system. I played around with the VP/WP variant from UA and so far I got this:

Characters get Con x 2 WPs. Other creatures as well, according to their size:
Fine: Con x 1/4
Diminutive: Con x 1/2
Tiny: Con x 1
Small: Con x 2
Medium: Con x 2
Large: Con x 2
Huge: Con x 4
Gargantuan: Con x 8
Colossal: Con x 16
So yeah, basically twice as much as normal. In addition, WPs CAN drop below 0, and you die when you reach 0 - Con WPs. With 16 Con, you die at -16, and so on.
As normal, you are fatigued when you lose WPs. But if you lose half of your WPs, then you are also staggered. Beside raising your Con score, you can get more WPs only by taking the Toughness feat (+3 WP, can be taken multiple times).
Yes, this does mean that a human with 10 Con and no VPs can actually take 30 points of damage before he's dead...but he'll be mostly unable to fight after the first 10 points, and down after 20.

VPs are calculated as normal, with one major exception: Your Con bonus is NOT added, thus you only get your flat HD points as VPs. Racial HDs count as well as those from classes.
All the other rules from the VP/WP system apply as normal.

What I was hoping for.
- Low level characters (as well as NPCs/monsters) can take more damage before dying. At the same time, high level characters don't get obscene amounts of HP and can be killed with an lucky crit.
- Physical injuries actually hurt.
- Con doesn't get more and more powerful with higher levels, but is still important to survive.
- Toughness is useful (but who cares).

I'm also going to use the Defense Bonus variant from UA, as well as the Armor as DR rules from Iron Heroes, if that matters.

Any chance this could work? Or did I overlook some serious balance problem?

P.S.: Sorry for poor english.

Bearofbadnews
2006-11-05, 09:56 AM
Your English seems fine to me, and I like this mechanic quite a bit. I am no rules expert, but it seems reasonable enough to me. I prefer the VP/WP system over standard HP, and I like seeing variants that use a form of them.

Iron_Mouse
2006-11-06, 07:01 AM
Hmm, I re-calculated some Monsters. As expected, low-level creatures are harder to kill. It equals out somewhere in mid-level (many creatures end up with roughly similar hp, actually...) and high-level creatures are a little weaker...sometimes. As one might expect, the system favores creatures of gargantuan and collossal size.
So, CR adjustments are required...but that's covered in the original variant anyway.