PDA

View Full Version : Beyond call lightning (D&D 3.5, spells, PEACH)

bobthe6th
2013-01-19, 05:55 PM
Some spells I made for a class a while ago...
what do people think of them as normal spells?

Salfran's Pistilero: Evocation [Charged]
Level: Soc/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: one standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you aim one of the pellets used to cast the spell, and launch it at ludicrus speeds. This is a ranged touch attack against a target out to long range, that deals 1 point of bludgeoning damage per 2 caster level.

You need not shoot immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to shoot. You may fire up to your caster level times (maximum 6).

Material Component
up to 6 small lead pellets

Salfran's Greater Pistilero: Evocation [Charged]
Level: Soc/Wiz 4

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you aim one of the pellets used to cast the spell, and launch it at ludicrus speeds. This is a ranged touch attack against a target out to long range, that deals 1 point of bludgeoning damage per caster level.

You need not shoot immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to shoot. You may fire up to your caster level times (maximum 10).

Material Component
up to 10 small lead pellets

Salfran's Magnificent Pistilero: Evocation [Charged]
Level: Soc/Wiz 7

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you aim one of the pellets used to cast the spell, and launch it at ludicrus speeds. This is a ranged touch attack against a target out to long range, that deals 2 point of bludgeoning damage per caster level.

You need not shoot immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to shoot. You may fire up to your caster level times.

Material Component
Caster level in small lead pellets

Lesser Orb: Evocation [Force]
Level: Soc/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Duration: instantaneous
Spell Resistance: Yes

You summon an orb of energy, which you then pitch at an opponent out to medium range as a ranged touch attack. This orb deals 4 point of force damage per caster level(maximum 20).

Blast: Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Casting time: one full minute
Range: Touch
Target: one point in space
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving throw: reflex for half

After focusing, the caster prepares a massive destructive explosion. This forms as a glowing red orb that hangs were the caster places it. This explosion can be triggered by the caster as a immediate action, or activates on its own at the end of the duration. The explosion expands out as a 100 ft spread, dealing 2d4 force damage per caster level.

Polar Ray:Evocation [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Casting time: one standard action
Range: long (400ft+40ft/caster level)
Effect: ray of freezing energy
Duration: instantaneous
Saving throw: fort

a bolt of incredibly cold energy blasts out from the casters fingers. A target hit by this ray must make a fortitude save or takes 3d6 points of cold damage per caster level. even if the target makes the save, they take 6d6 damage. targets slain by this damage is frozen solid, as the flesh to stone spell without a save, but made of ice rather then stone(hardness and HP lowered for the new material).

Lesser Aura of Ice: Evocation [Ice][Charged]
Level:Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time:one standard action
Range: Personal
Area: 10ft emanation
Saving Throw: fortitude half
Spell Resistance:Yes

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may create an area of freezing cold around him. This extends out as a 10ft emanation from the caster. Creatures other then the caster in the area take 1d6 damage per caster level, with a fortitude save for half damage.

You need not create the aura immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to create or maintain the aura. You may create or maintain the aura for a total number of round equal to your caster level(maximum 10).

Aura of Ice: Evocation [Ice][Charged]
Level:Sor/Wiz 6
Area: 20ft emanation
Duration: 1 hour./level

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may create an area of freezing cold around him. This extends out as a 20ft emanation from the caster. Creatures other then the caster in the area take 1d6+1 damage per caster level, with a fortitude save for half damage.

You need not create the aura immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to create or maintain the aura. You may create or maintain the aura for a total number of round equal to your caster level(maximum 15).

Greater Aura of Ice: Evocation [Ice][Charged]
Level:Sor/Wiz 9
Area: 30ft emanation

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may create an area of freezing cold around him. This extends out as a 30ft emanation from the caster. Creatures other then the caster in the area take (1d8+1) damage per caster level, with a fortitude save for half damage.

You need not create the aura immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to create or maintain the aura. You may create or maintain the aura for a total number of round equal to your caster level.

Lesser Call Lightning:Evocation [Electricity][Charged]
Level: Druid 3, Sorc/Wiz 3
Casting Time: One Standard Action
Effect: One or more 30-ft.-long vertical lines of lightning
Saving Throw: Reflex half

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may call down a 5-foot-wide, 30-foot-long, vertical bolt of lightning that deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per (caster level -3 maximum 5). The bolt of lightning flashes down in a vertical stroke at whatever target point you choose within the spell’s range (measured from your position at the time). Any creature in the target square or in the path of the bolt is affected.

You need not call a bolt of lightning immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to call a bolt. You may call a total number of bolts equal to your caster level (maximum 10 bolts).

Call Lightning:Evocation [Electricity][Charged]
Level: Druid 6, Sorc/Wiz 6
Effect: One or more 30-ft.-long vertical lines of lightning
Duration: 1 hour /level
Saving Throw: Reflex half, Fortitude against dazed

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may call down a 10-foot-wide, 30-foot-long, vertical bolt of lightning that deals 1d6+1 points of electricity damage per (caster level -3 maximum 10). The bolt of lightning flashes down in a vertical stroke at whatever target point you choose within the spell’s range (measured from your position at the time). Any creature in the target squares or in the path of the bolt is affected,and must make a fortitude saving throw or be dazed for one round.

You need not call a bolt of lightning immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to call a bolt. You may call a total number of bolts equal to your caster level (maximum 15 bolts).

Greater Call Lightning:Evocation [Electricity][Charged]
Level: Druid 9, Sorc/Wiz 9
Effect: One or more 100-ft.-long vertical lines of lightning
Saving Throw: Reflex half, fortitude against stunned

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may call down a 30-foot-wide, 100-foot-long, vertical bolt of lightning that deals 1d8+1 points of electricity damage per (caster level-3 maximum 15). The bolt of lightning flashes down in a vertical stroke at whatever target point you choose within the spell’s range (measured from your position at the time). Any creature in the target squares or in the path of the bolt is affected, and must make a fortitude saving throw or be stunned for one round.

You need not call a bolt of lightning immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to call a bolt. You may call a total number of bolts equal to your caster level.

Lesser Meteor Swarm: Evocation [Fire][Charged]
Level:Sor/Wiz 3
Area: one or more meteors.
Saving Throw: Reflex against prone

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may launch a ball of force and flame(called a meteor). This meteor flies out from your space up to it's maximum range, you may aim it at a foe but hitting them requires a ranged touch attack. foes struck by a meteor are dealt 1d6 point of fire damage equal to (caster level -3 maximum 5), and must make a reflex save or be knocked prone.

You need not call a meteor immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to call a meteor. You may call a total number of meteors equal to your caster level(maximum 10).

Meteor Swarm: Evocation [Fire][Charged]
Level:Sor/Wiz 6
Casting Time:one minute
Area: one or more 10ft burst(s).
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Reflex against prone

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may launch a fiery meteor. This meteor flies out from your space up to it's maximum range, you may aim it at a foe but hitting them requires a ranged touch attack. foes struck by a meteor are dealt 1d4 force damage equal to (caster level -3 maximum 10), and must make a reflex save or be knocked prone. The meteor then explodes, dealing 1d6 of half fire/half force damage equal to (caster level -3 maximum 10) in a 10ft burst, requiring a reflex save for half damage.

You need not call a meteor immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to call a meteor. You may call a total number of meteors equal to your caster level(maximum 15).

Greater Meteor Swarm: Evocation [Fire][Charged]
Level:Sor/Wiz 9
Casting Time:one minute
Area: one or more 20ft burst(s).
Saving Throw: Reflex against prone and half area damage

Immediately upon completion of the spell, and once per round thereafter, you may launch a fiery meteor. This meteor flies out from your space up to it's maximum range, you may aim it at a foe but hitting them requires a ranged touch attack. foes struck by a meteor are dealt 2d4 force damage per (caster level -3 maximum 15), and must make a reflex save or be knocked prone. The meteor then explodes in a twenty foot burst dealing 1d10 half fire/half force damage per (caster level -3 maximum 15) in a twenty foot burst, requiring a reflex save for half damage and another or be knocked prone.

You need not call a meteor immediately; other actions, even spellcasting, can be performed. However, each round after the first you may use a standard action (concentrating on the spell) to call a meteor. You may call a total number of meteors equal to your caster level.

bobthe6th
2013-01-20, 07:33 PM
bump?

anyone got any opinions?

Deepbluediver
2013-01-21, 02:24 PM
Some spells I made for a class a while ago...
what do people think of them as normal spells?

Before I start, I want to preface this by saying that I think the spell ranges for all spells are too long and that many durations are excessive. However, I'll try to keep my personal feelings out of the comments and evaluate these under the assumption that they work for your game.

To start off, what does the "Charged" descriptor with each spell mean?

Salfran's Pistilero
Salfran's Greater Pistilero[Charged]
Salfran's Magnificent Pistilero
I'm a little confused by the "may fire up to your caster level times" bit. Do you mean shooting each pellet is a seperate standard action and attack roll, or you can fire them all at once, like a shotgun blast?

If it's the first one, these are pretty weak, except for Magnificent which is about average (although probably better the melee equivalent- archery, because of the range). If the second, the regular Pistol is decent, Greater is very good, and Magnificent is just broken (it's effectively caster level squared x2 damage as a standard action).

The regular version should say "minimum 1" or "1 nonlethal at level 1" because as far as I know, 1/2 caster level 1 is rounded down to 0.

Less of a concern is what happens to the pellets if you don't use them all at once? Do you need to hold them in your hand? Can you put them in a pocket? (needing to draw them back out to use) Or do they simply dissipate into the ether until you need to call them forth?

Also, "ludicrous" is spelled with an "O".

Lesser Orb: Evocation [Force]

So it's Magic Missle but you traded quicker damage scaling for requiring an attack roll.
There's nothing wrong with that, but it prompts me to ask "why?".

Blast: Evocation [Force]

I'm a little confused on exactly how I should interpret this. Is it intended that it just deals 2d4/caster level to every square inside a sphere with a 100 ft. radius?
Or does the explosion radiate out from the central point, stopping once it's dealt the maximum damage to any combination of creatures, objects or walls it encounters?

Basically, the simple version seems way too powerful and the realistic version seems way too complex. Unless I'm misunderstanding the spell.

Polar Ray:Evocation [Cold]

There's a spell almost exactly like this in one of the splatbooks (can't recall which one right now, sorry), that I only know about because I was looking up dual-school spells, and it was Evocation/Transmutation. They compared the spell to "disintegration" though, with the threshold for turning into ash/ice. I'll try to find it later.

With regards to your spell, you might want to clean up the language a little bit.
Specify that you need to make a ranged touch attack (since it's a ray effect) and that the fortitude save is only if the target is actually hit. Also, I think a save for half-damage instead of some minimum value is more standard.

I realize that high-level evocation spells are usually considered weak, but I think 3d6/caster level is a little much. Thats over 150 damage on average at level 16, as a standard action.
How about 2d6/caster level or even 3d6/2 caster levels?

Lesser Aura of Ice: Evocation [Ice][Charged]
Aura of Ice: Evocation [Ice][Charged]
Greater Aura of Ice: Evocation [Ice][Charged]

I think these spells are too powerful. If something is supposed to be a burst-emenation it should happen once per casting. If it's an aura it should simply stay in place for the duration.
Each of these really feel like it's several copies of the same spell from a single casting.

What I would recomend to change them depends on your balance point. It looks as if you are trying to push Evocation up to the same level as some of the other powerful schools, which might help one wizard against another but kind of screws anyone who can't respond in kind (i.e. everyone who isn't also a tier 1 or 2 class).

Lesser Call Lightning:Evocation [Electricity][Charged]
Call Lightning:Evocation [Electricity][Charged]
Greater Call Lightning:Evocation [Electricity][Charged]

Similar comments to the last batch. The idea of balancing powerful spellcasters by limiting their primary resources sort of goes out the window when a single spell is all you need for an entire encounter.
This series of spells seems less like "call lightning" and more like "summon thunderstorm".

Also, is that notation supposed to read as "caster level minus three"? Usually it's written as "minimum damage + damage/caster level".

Lesser Meteor Swarm: Evocation [Fire][Charged]
Meteor Swarm: Evocation [Fire][Charged]
Greater Meteor Swarm: Evocation [Fire][Charged]

See above.

To conclude, in the future it would help if you also included what level (in terms of power) you wanted your spells compared to. I think that a wizard using nothing but these Evocation could be tier 2 pretty easily (maybe even 1, depending). His one ability that solves all encounters is "Kill it! Kill it with fire!" but now he's actually got enough fire in his arsenal to get the job done. Plus, since each spells has multiple uses per casting, he can prepare one of every type and just pick whichever version gets him past immunities.

bobthe6th
2013-01-21, 05:09 PM
Before I start, I want to preface this by saying that I think the spell ranges for all spells are too long and that many durations are excessive. However, I'll try to keep my personal feelings out of the comments and evaluate these under the assumption that they work for your game.

I was more trying to stay in line with a scaling call lightning(the origiona) for the multie use spells. I could see limiting them to close range though for some of them.

To start off, what does the "Charged" descriptor with each spell mean?

that comes from when I made them... it was meant to be a sub school for all spells that act like call lightning or produce flames(they have a number of uses per casting, and don't have to be used every round.

I'm a little confused by the "may fire up to your caster level times" bit. Do you mean shooting each pellet is a separate standard action and attack roll, or you can fire them all at once, like a shotgun blast?

If it's the first one, these are pretty weak, except for Magnificent which is about average (although probably better the melee equivalent- archery, because of the range). If the second, the regular Pistol is decent, Greater is very good, and Magnificent is just broken (it's effectively caster level squared x2 damage as a standard action).

The regular version should say "minimum 1" or "1 nonlethal at level 1" because as far as I know, 1/2 caster level 1 is rounded down to 0.

Less of a concern is what happens to the pellets if you don't use them all at once? Do you need to hold them in your hand? Can you put them in a pocket? (needing to draw them back out to use) Or do they simply dissipate into the ether until you need to call them forth?

Also, "ludicrous" is spelled with an "O".

It was supposed to be a the first... yeah, the damage is crap. it was suposed to be the "if nothing can hit them" spell. I could see making the damage better(like 2) and giving 2 uses per level for the normal version,

I imagine them floating around the casters hand like ioun stones. should clarify that.

So it's Magic Missle but you traded quicker damage scaling for requiring an attack roll.
There's nothing wrong with that, but it prompts me to ask "why?".

I wanted a reasonable single target damage spell for first level... but it was more of a minor idea.

I'm a little confused on exactly how I should interpret this. Is it intended that it just deals 2d4/caster level to every square inside a sphere with a 100 ft. radius?
Or does the explosion radiate out from the central point, stopping once it's dealt the maximum damage to any combination of creatures, objects or walls it encounters?

Basically, the simple version seems way too powerful and the realistic version seems way too complex. Unless I'm misunderstanding the spell.

It is the simple version... I should clarify that. It was supposed to be balanced by a really long casting time(10 rounds), and the fact it will kill you if you don't get out of range in time...

There's a spell almost exactly like this in one of the splatbooks (can't recall which one right now, sorry), that I only know about because I was looking up dual-school spells, and it was Evocation/Transmutation. They compared the spell to "disintegration" though, with the threshold for turning into ash/ice. I'll try to find it later.

sounds cool.

With regards to your spell, you might want to clean up the language a little bit.
Specify that you need to make a ranged touch attack (since it's a ray effect) and that the fortitude save is only if the target is actually hit. Also, I think a save for half-damage instead of some minimum value is more standard.

I realize that high-level evocation spells are usually considered weak, but I think 3d6/caster level is a little much. Thats over 150 damage on average at level 16, as a standard action.
How about 2d6/caster level or even 3d6/2 caster levels?

Ok, got some edditing to do.

I was thinking as a single target 8th level blasting spell, it could be kinda off the rails. competing with empowered cone of cold for space...

I think these spells are too powerful. If something is supposed to be a burst-emanation it should happen once per casting. If it's an aura it should simply stay in place for the duration.
Each of these really feel like it's several copies of the same spell from a single casting.

well, you have to burn a standard action to use them each time... and it only happens caster level times a casting. That is supposed to be the balance point of all four of the charged subschool spell chains... you can chose when they are used, but you have to basically recast them each time.

What I would recommend to change them depends on your balance point. It looks as if you are trying to push Evocation up to the same level as some of the other powerful schools, which might help one wizard against another but kind of screws anyone who can't respond in kind (i.e. everyone who isn't also a tier 1 or 2 class).

I am trying to make blasting more viable... but not T1-2 viable. More make blasting an option that lets you contribute to combat without eating all your spell slots. The balance point was to be lower damage per shot then an equal level (good) blast spell, but more damage then a reserve feat.

Similar comments to the last batch. The idea of balancing powerful spellcasters by limiting their primary resources sort of goes out the window when a single spell is all you need for an entire encounter.
This series of spells seems less like "call lightning" and more like "summon thunderstorm".

Well... the idea was to make the damage reasonable, without being better then single cast blast spells. Ok, make that good single cast burn spells. (yes the final meteor swarm kicks the normal one to the curb.)

Normal blasting is still much higher damage, especially if you meta magic them up.

Also, is that notation supposed to read as "caster level minus three"? Usually it's written as "minimum damage + damage/caster level".

the idea is to make it 1d6/(caster level-3) as the first spell is a 3rd level spell, thats 2d6. As HP of foes rises expoentialy(they get higher con scores, as well as more HD), the damage grows at normal rate. Is this silly?

To conclude, in the future it would help if you also included what level (in terms of power) you wanted your spells compared to. I think that a wizard using nothing but these Evocation could be tier 2 pretty easily (maybe even 1, depending). His one ability that solves all encounters is "Kill it! Kill it with fire!" but now he's actually got enough fire in his arsenal to get the job done. Plus, since each spells has multiple uses per casting, he can prepare one of every type and just pick whichever version gets him past immunities.

Well... the idea was to balance it against other good spells like BFC or buffs. But still the damage isn't that great(or is it?).

The DM dosn't have to work all that hard to challenge him(just add some generalized ER to the BBEG and his mooks, or fight the encounter were line of sight is constantly blocked.

The wizard with these spells would basically be using his actions to deal damage like a warlock, with no essences and some good blast shapes. Warlocks still don't do a lot of damage unless you cheese them a lot.

or am I just defending my position. Could I get a third view to tell me if I am talking out of my ass?

Deepbluediver
2013-01-21, 06:47 PM
I was more trying to stay in line with a scaling call lightning(the origiona) for the multie use spells. I could see limiting them to close range though for some of them.

I'll respond in more detail later, but I apologize for mis-stating my point here. Your spells are perfectly in line with the standard stuff given in the PHB. I think THOSE ranges and durations are excessive, but I don't fault you for taking the lead from WotC.

bobthe6th
2013-01-21, 07:01 PM
I'll respond in more detail later, but I apologize for mis-stating my point here. Your spells are perfectly in line with the standard stuff given in the PHB. I think THOSE ranges and durations are excessive, but I don't fault you for taking the lead from WotC.

It's true... giving like a 50ft +5ft/level would be better... but would be nonstandard.