PDA

View Full Version : New Inevitable (PEACH, WIP)

LOTRfan
2013-01-20, 10:18 PM
Harut
Small Construct (Extraplanar, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 45d10+55 (302 hp)
Initiative: +15
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Fly 80 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 35 (+1 Size, +3 Dex, +15 Natural, +5 Breastplate, +1 Dodge), touch 16, flatfooted 31
Base Attack/Grapple: +30/+29
Attack: +4 Axiomatic Heavy Repeating Crossbow +42 ranged (1d8+4 damage/19-20), or Slam +34 melee (2d8+3 damage plus Disrupting Fist)
Full Attack: +4 Axiomatic Heavy Repeating Crossbow +42 ranged (1d8+4 damage/19-20), or Slam +34 melee (2d8+3 plus Disrupting Fist)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Antimagic Aura, Censor Spells, Disjunction, Disrupting Fists, Spell-like Abilities, Supreme Counterspell
Special Qualities: Construct traits, Damage Reduction 10/Epic and Chaotic, Darkvision 60 ft., Fast Healing 8, Immunity to Magic low-light vision
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +23, Will +19
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 25, Con ---, Int 27, Wis 14, Cha 9
Skills: Decipher Script +56, Gather Information +47, Hide +59, Knowledge (Arcana) +56, Knowledge (The Planes) +56, Listen +50, Move Silently +59, Spot +50, Spellcraft +59, Use Magic Device +47
Feats: Ability Focus (Disrupting Fists), Blinding Speed, Dodge, Empower Spell-like Ability (Magic Missile), Far Shot, Great Fortitude, Improved Critical (Heavy Crossbow), Improved Initiative, Improved Toughness, Iron Will, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Reload (Heavy Crossbow), Rapid Shot, Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Superior Initiative
Environment: The Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 21
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Lawful Neutral
Advancement: 46-90 HD (Small); 91-135 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -----

A small clockwork creature erupts from the magical portal that opens in front of you. It’s short, but the broad shoulders and tripedal form make it seem very sturdy. From these shoulders come two arms, and its head is clear, revealing the clockwork mechanics that are in constant motion within. Its inner workings are protected by strong breastplate, which is covered in oddly glowing runes originating from both the Celestial and Infernal languages.

Some old folk stories say that in the original days of the world, arcane magic was reserved only for dragons and outsiders, until one day a pair of celestials taught the wisest of the elder kingdoms how to utilize this natural power for themselves. It is said that this act, the giving of power normally reserved for the mighty to mere mortals, angered the gods and upset the very balance of multiverse itself. The Haruts were supposedly created to solve this imbalance.

While Haruts are not meant to wipe out mortal magic users, there is some truth to the tales of them hunting down the more powerful ones; Haruts are Inevitables who are tasked with preventing the tampering of both the laws of magic and large scale tampering of the laws of physics. For this reason, Haruts are especially designed to attempt to render magic users powerless. Spellcasters who use spells like Wish and Miracle to gather power for themselves, along with spellcasters who toy with epic magic and magical artifacts, can all draw the ire of a Harut.

Combat
Haruts will usually try to separate spellcasters from the rest of their group and attack them. Normally a Harut will lower and raise it's antimagic aura between its use of its spell-like abilities. In other (rare) instances, where the Harut is aiding another creature with combat, it will serve to keep the caster preoccupied as its ally goes after the main threat.

Antimagic Aura: Haruts are capable of generating an anti-magic field that has a range of 60 ft. This is a continuous effect that otherwise functions as an antimagic field cast by a 20th level wizard. A Harut can activate or suppress this ability as a free action. Haruts do not need to make the special dispel check to suppress epic magic in the field. While the antimagic field is in effect, the purple sigils that mark a Harut’s body glow.

Censor Spells (Su): Haruts can make a special attack with a ranged weapon of their choice every 1d4 rounds. If this attack successfully hits its target, and that target is a spellcaster, the spellcaster immediately loses three spell slots of the highest level that he can cast for this day (so, if the highest level spell that a sorcerer could still cast that day is 5th level, the sorcerer loses three 5th level slot, or a 5th level slot and 4th level slots if the magic user has less than three remaining 5th level spell slots). If the spellcaster prepares spells for the day, the Harut instantly becomes aware of what spells he has prepared and can choose which spells the spellcaster loses. The Harut must decide that it wants to use this ability before it makes the attack, and if the attack fails it still must wait 1d4 rounds before it can make the attack again.

Disjunction (Sp): Once every 1d4-1 rounds, a Harut can use disjunction as if cast by an 18th level wizard, except instead of only having a 1% chance of affecting artifacts, there is a 50% chance of it affecting a lesser artifact if it fails the save and the chance of losing its spellcasting is eliminated.

Disrupting Fist (Su): Haruts are capable of discharging an odd purple energy when they make a successful slam attack against a spellcaster. Upon getting hit, the spellcaster is enveloped in a special anti-magic energy that makes it impossible for them to cast spells for 1d6 minutes. Any spells that the spellcaster tries to cast during this time are expended with no effect. A Fortitude save (DC Intelligence based) negates this effect. For this Harut, the save DC is 42.

Spell-like Abilities: At will- Magic Missile, Identify, Dimension Door, Greater Dispel Magic, Locate Creature, Locate Object, Daze, Touch of Fatigue, Color Spray. 3/day- Mage Armor, Resistance, Shield, Magic Weapon, Eagle’s Splendor, Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Fox’s Cunning, Owl’s Wisdom, Dimensional Anchor, Blink, Ray of Exhaustion. 1/day- Mark of Justice, Wall of Force Magic Circle Against Good/Evil/Chaos, Bestow Curse, Banishment. 1/week- Geas/Quest, Planeshift, Limited Wish. Caster level 20th.

Immunity to Magic: The sigils written across the Harut’s form make it so that they are immune to all spells that can be stopped by spell-resistance.

Supreme Counterspell: So long as a Harut has not expended all of its daily spell-like abilities, a Harut is capable of counterspelling spells as if it had them prepared (so long as they still ready the action beforehand and can actually identify the spell). When readying themselves to counterspell, a Harut may choose to spend a move action rather than a standard action.

Arcanist
2013-01-20, 10:24 PM
My question is: How does this thing ever expect to conquer an Epic Spellcaster? Unless this guy is completely shutting down the magical abilities of the Spellcaster it is stalking it doesn't have a chance :smallconfused:

LOTRfan
2013-01-20, 10:37 PM
There aren't really many creatures that can go up against an optimized epic level caster, but yeah, you're right; there's a bit of a difference between the fluff and the stats.

Perhaps I should increase the HD by another ten or fifteen and adjust the abilities?

Arcanist
2013-01-20, 10:49 PM
There aren't really many creatures that can go up against an optimized epic level caster, but yeah, you're right; there's a bit of a difference between the fluff and the stats.

Actually, it doesn't even take much optimization here. For example, Tolodine's Killing Wind blows (quite literally) through this guy.

Hell, most of the smartest Epic Spellcasters (like... All of them?) would attack around the guy OR have something else attack it.

I mean, the SR is the right direction, but you're not going far enough here :smallconfused: This guy is supposed to be able to tackle down an Epic Spellcaster... C'mon up the anti :smallamused:

Perhaps I should increase the HD by another ten or fifteen and adjust the abilities?

Make this guy an Epic Monster. At least do him the grace to be able to take down a significantly optimized Wizard. Make the S.O.B. straight up be able to nuke a Wizard down to Commoner status :smallamused:

Kane0
2013-01-20, 11:12 PM
Give it a special ability to attempt a counterspell (even unidentified) in reaction to a spell being cast within 60', using up an AoO or immediate action. That should slow down a caster.

Cause really, who counterspells?

Arcanist
2013-01-20, 11:17 PM
Give it a special ability to attempt a counterspell (even unidentified) in reaction to a spell being cast within 60', using up an AoO. That should slow down a caster.

Truly not even much of a liability. Simply cast a spell 65' away (fairly easy to accomplish).

Cause really, who counterspells?

I do. (But in all fairness, I prefer playing as a Theurge so I have spell slots to burn).

Kane0
2013-01-20, 11:23 PM
It limits spells with range of short or touch, i didnt want to make it too useful. Besides, im looking at the CR 12 version in this case.

The problem with counterspelling is that you have to prepare the action, then identify the spell, then have the right spell available to counterspell. Thats a lot of effort to stop a spell being cast, especially when you have things like antimagic, SR and spell absorption.

TuggyNE
2013-01-21, 12:08 AM
I think there should be at least two versions with substantial difference in power (one for mid-high level casters, the other for pre-epic and low epic), rather than relying on HD scaling entirely.

Both versions should be beefed up, especially the epic one.

LOTRfan
2013-01-21, 10:33 AM
I tripled the hit dice, removed the 6th level limit from Supreme Counterspell, made it so that Censor Spell now affects three spells per hit rather than one, doubled the effective range of the antimagic aura, added a bunch of new spell-like abilities, switched spell resistance 40 to immunity to magic, and added a new ability.

I was also considering both giving it casting as a 10th level sorcerer and an ability that allows it to remove magic from both magic items and lesser artifacts. What do you guys think?

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-21, 10:58 AM
Unless I'm misremembering my AMF, doesn't it also shut down YOUR Spells/Spell Likes/Supernatural abilities?

LOTRfan
2013-01-21, 11:08 AM
You are not misremembering. That's why the antimagic aura can be activated/suppressed as a free action.

Arcanist
2013-01-21, 12:10 PM
I tripled the hit dice, removed the 6th level limit from Supreme Counterspell, made it so that Censor Spell now affects three spells per hit rather than one, doubled the effective range of the antimagic aura, added a bunch of new spell-like abilities, switched spell resistance 40 to immunity to magic, and added a new ability.

I was also considering both giving it casting as a 10th level sorcerer and an ability that allows it to remove magic from both magic items and lesser artifacts. What do you guys think?

He also qualifies for Epic Feats now since he has more then 21HD.

Make him able to neutralize magical items while they are within his presence. Allow him to Counterspell without making the ready action and as an immediate action, make him able to dismiss any summoned or called creature as a free action (or any summoned or called creature turns against the creature that summoned or called them whenever they are sent against him).

You are not misremembering. That's why the antimagic aura can be activated/suppressed as a free action.

Hmmm... He should not inhibit his own abilities. I suppose he can deactivate it on his round, perform his actions and then reactivate it immediately after, however during that small sliver of time he is vulnerable to the casters contingencies and a quick Celerity leap completely screws him over.

I'm not trying to tell you how to make a monster that will be able to destroy the Wizard everyday of the week, but unless he is able to take down a Wizard with Epic Spellcasting (The ultimate in versatility) he isn't fulfilling his complete potential and therefore his purpose.

The best way to take down the Batman is when he is enjoying Alfred's Tea as Bruce Wayne.

LOTRfan
2013-01-24, 05:47 AM
Switched the feats around, added improved disjunction as a spell-like ability usable once every 1d4-1 rounds, and changed Antimagic Aura so that epic spells are also suppressed the same way regular spells are.

I've decided against adding the ability to dismiss summoned creatures at will, because I'm working on an (non-epic) Inevitable that deals with extraplanar foes and the like.