PDA

View Full Version : Hutts as a D&D Race (Star Wars, 3.5, PEACH)

LOTRfan
2013-01-24, 12:52 PM
Hutt
http://www.anakinworld.com/uploads/entries/page_large/espece-hutt-1.jpg
Former inhabitants of a distant world, the Hutts are an ancient and proud race. Having come to this world after their original world was destroyed, the Hutts recent settlers attempting to colonize as much land as they can get their grubby little hands on. For the most part this amassing of land is done through either twisted business dealings with natives or an outright takeover. Hutts are often seen with an odd mixture of disgust and awe due to their very unique (and in many ways alien) society.

Personality: Hutts tend to be very arrogant and commanding individuals. They like to feel in charge, and believe that they are superior to other beings. One extremely common manifestation of this arrogance is their usual refusal to speak in any language other than their own. Hutts are often described as extremely manipulative and power hungry, and often do not feel comfortable interacting with others on equal ground. The Hutts also believe that corpulence is a sign of beauty and success, and as a result one’s weight often gives insight into their position and level of respect in society.

Physical Traits: Hutts are large gastropods with a semi-humanoid upper body and a large, slug-like “foot.” They have small, stubby arms and an extremely large head. Hutts tend to be green or brown, but shades of turquoise, orange, and maroon are also common. Hutts are capable of sealing the slits of their nose in order to hold their breath for long periods of time. Hutts also excrete an oil through their skin that offers them limited protection from environmental hazards like intense cold and heat. Underneath their many layers of fat, there is thick muscle that allows them to move with surprising speed for their size (which is still rather slow). Hutts tend to be between 9’11 and 12’9 feet, and can weigh as much as 2,200 pounds. Hutts are hermaphroditic, and as a result can be referred to male, female, or neither. Most Hutts aren’t capable of growing hair, but there is a small minority that can grow beards due to a recessive gene.

Relations: As mentioned before, Hutts are extremely arrogant and power hungry, and as a result relations with other races are very strained. Hutts see themselves as inherently superior than all other races, and usually regulate the other races to servitor roles. Ownership of slaves is often seen as a status symbol, and as a result Hutts often take humanoids as slaves. They often use goblinoids and Orcs as guards and protectors, along with humans. Hutts tend to ignore gnomes and dwarves, as Hutts do not usually venture underground. Halflings are often seen as weak, and as a result are often oppressed.

Alignment: Due to their utterly self-serving and cruel nature, many Hutts lean towards evil on the alignment scale. Hutts have to be utterly ruthless to advance in their society, so while good Hutts exist they tend to be looked down upon by their fellow Hutts and thus oftentimes go unnoticed by most other people.

Hutt Lands: The Hutts, having come from a world that was destroyed in a massive cataclysm, do not have any native lands of their own. Instead, the Hutts try to take land by force and enslave their inhabitants. Hutts prefer swampy territories, though they can exist in pretty much any environment. Lands that they conquer often end up extremely polluted due to the Hutts’ utter disregard for any other sort of life.

Religion: The Hutts worshipped two deities long ago, Ardos and his mate Evona. They believed that these deities manifested themselves in this plane via the twin suns that their homeworld orbited. They believe that when Evona was slain, the sun she resided in was destroyed, and Ardos’ grief caused the sun he lived in to collapse into a white dwarf. The fact that the Hutts survived this event which killed their goddess and caused their god to collapse with grief led them to believe that they were better than their gods. As a result, they see themselves as living gods, and expect their underlings to share in that belief. Naturally, this puts them at odds with every other religion.

Language: The Hutts are capable of speaking and understanding a wide variety of languages, including Common, Undercommon, and Goblin. Most Hutts (even those fluent in other languages) feel that to speak a language other than their own is to lower themselves to their servant’s level, and as a result most require that they either be spoken to in Huttese, or are accompanied by a translator who translates what the Hutt says.

Names: Hutts have three names; the first name is their given name, the middle is their kajidic (or extended family) name, and the final is their last name. Since they are hermaphroditic, Hutt names tend to be gender-neutral. Hutt first names are generall two-to-three syllables and end with an a (ex. Jabba, Durga, Gardulla, Zorba).

Adventurers: Like Halflings, Hutts rarely go adventuring, preferring to stay in their homes. A Hutt would much rather carve out his own business empire (legal or otherwise) than take great physical risk. Hutts who do go out on adventures are usually outcasts (usually due to being thin or having a “disfiguring” birth mark of some kid) or failures.

Hutt Racial Traits
• +4 Constitution, -4 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
• Large Aberration: As aberrations, Hutts are not affected by spells that specifically target humanoids, like charm person. As large creatures, Hutts have -1 penalty to armor class and attack rolls, a -4 penalty to Hide checks, and a +4 bonus to grapple checks. Space/Reach is 10 ft./5 ft.
• A Hutt’s base land speed is 20 ft.
• Dark vision 60 ft and low-light vision.
• Racial Hit Dice: A Hutt starts off with four levels of Aberration, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a Base Attack Bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +1, and Will +4. A Hutt’s aberration levels give it skill points equal to 7 + (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Diplomacy, Forgery, Gather Information, Intimidation, Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot. A Hutt’s aberration levels give it two feats. Hutts are proficient with simple weapons and medium armor.
• +6 natural armor bonus.
• Gastropod: As Gastropods, Hutts have a +4 bonus to resist bull rushes and can carry 1½ times the weight a humanoid of its size can carry. Hutts cannot wear standard armor, and must instead wear barding especially made to fit their forms.
• Resistance to cold, fire, and electricity 3.
• Natural Slam Attack (1d8 + 1.5 Str mod damage)
• Hold Breath (Ex): A Hutt can hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
• Immunity to mind-affecting spells and powers.
• +4 bonus to Fortitude saves involving avoiding the effects of poison.
• Lesser Regeneration (Ex): Hutts have the ability to regenerate, though it is nowhere near the strength of that of trolls. Hutts still suffer from damage normally, but Hutts regain hit points at a rate of 1 hit point every half hour. If the Hutt loses a limb or body part (even up to 30% of the cranium), the Hutt will regrow the lost part in 3d6 days. The Hutt cannot attempt to reconnect the part by holding the removed limb up to the stump.
• Swallow Whole (Ex): When grappling an opponent, a Hutt can open its mouth to a seeming unnatural degree. By succeeding on a second grapple check, the Hutt can attempt to swallow creatures that are up to one category smaller than him. A swallowed creature initially takes 2d8 bludgeoning damage, and takes an additional 5 points of acid damage each round. A swallowed creature can escape by causing slashing damage equal to 1/5 the Hutt’s total hit points. Muscular action closes the whole after the creature escapes. Any other creature must try to cut their own way out. A Hutt’s stomach can hold 1 medium creature, 4 small creatures, 16 tiny creatures, or 64 diminutive or smaller creatures.
• Automatic Languages: Huttese, Common. Secondary Languages: Undercommon, Giant, Goblin, and Draconic.
• Favored Class: Beguiler.
• Level Adjustment: +2

Hutt Racial Progression
{table=head]Hit Dice|Skills|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1d8|
(2+INT) x4|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Starting Racial Traits, Feat

2d8|
(2+INT)|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Natural Armor +2, Hold Breath

2d8|
-----|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Resistances 2, Con +2

3d8|
(2+INT)|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Size Increase, Feat, Natural Armor +4

3d8|
-----|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Lesser Regeneration, Swallow Whole

4d8|
(2+INT)|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4| Resistances 3, Natural Armor +6[/table]

Starting Racial Traits
• +2 Constitution, -4 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
• Medium Aberration: As aberrations, Hutts are not affected by spells that specifically target humanoids, like charm person. As medium creatures, Hutts do not have any bonuses or penalties due to size.
• A Hutt’s base land speed is 20 ft.
• Gastropod: As Gastropods, Hutts have a +4 bonus to resist bull rushes and can carry 1½ times the weight a humanoid of its size can carry. Hutts cannot wear standard armor, and must instead wear barding especially made to fit their forms.
• Darkvision 60 ft. and low light vision
• Resistance to Cold, Electricity, and Fire 1
• Slam (1d6 damage)
• +4 bonus to Fortitude saves involving avoiding the affects of poison.

Class Skills
A Hutt’s racial skills are Diplomacy, Forgery, Gather Information, Intimidation, Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Hutts are proficient with simple weapons, and can wear medium or lighter armor.

Natural Armor: At 2nd level, a Hutt gains a +2 natural armor bonus. At both 4th and 6th levels, this natural armor bonus increases by an additional 2 points.

Hold Breath (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Hutt can hold his breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Resistances: At 3rd level, a Hutt’s resistance to electricity, fire, and cold increase by 1. This happens again at 6th level, which results in the Hutt having resistance to electricity, fire, and cold 3.

Ability Increase: At 5th level, a Hutt gets a +2 increase to its Constitution score.

Size Increase: At 4th level, a Hutt increases its size category from medium to large. It does not get the usual ability increases related to the size change, but its slam attack damage increases to 1d8.

Lesser Regeneration (Ex): At 5th level, Hutts develop the ability to regenerate, though it is nowhere near the strength of that of trolls. Hutts still suffer from damage normally, but Hutts regain hit points at a rate of 1 hit point every half hour. If the Hutt loses a limb or body part (even up to 30% of the cranium), the Hutt will regrow the lost part in 3d6 days. The Hutt cannot attempt to reconnect the part by holding the removed limb up to the stump.

Swallow Whole (Ex): At 5th level, a Hutt can unhinge his mouth to unnatural sizes. When grappling an opponent, a Hutt can open its mouth to a seeming unnatural degree. By succeeding on a second grapple check, the Hutt can attempt to swallow creatures that are up to one category smaller than him. A swallowed creature initially takes 2d8 bludgeoning damage, and takes an additional 5 points of acid damage each round. A swallowed creature can escape by causing slashing damage equal to 1/5 the Hutt’s total hit points. Muscular action closes the whole after the creature escapes. Any other creature must try to cut their own way out. A Hutt’s stomach can hold 1 medium creature, 4 small creatures, 16 tiny creatures, or 64 diminutive or smaller creatures.

Hutt Random Starting Ages
{table=head]Adulthood|Simple|Moderate|Complex

90 years | +4d6 | +6d6 | +10d6[/table]

Hutt Ageing Effects
{table=head]Middle Age | Old | Venerable | Ancient | Maximum Age

650 | 845 | 925 | 1300 | +5d100[/table]
1. At middle age, -1 Dex; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
2. At old age, -1 Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
3. At venerable age, -1 Str, -2 Dex, and -1 Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
4. At ancient age, -2 Str, -3 Dex, and -2 Con; +2 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

LOTRfan
2013-01-24, 12:55 PM
Possibly reserved for racial substitution levels and feats. I don't know yet.

Extra Oily Coating [Hutt]
Prerequisites: Full Hutt hit dice
Benefit: This Hutt’s skin produces more oil and mucus than normal Hutts, increasing the Hutt’s natural resistance to fire, cold, and electricity to 5.
Normal: A Hutt has resistance to fire, cold, and electricity 3.

Corpulence [Hutt]
Prerequisites: Full Hutt hit dice, age of 500 or older, Constitution 22
Benefits: The success of this Hutt is clearly evident by the excess weight that he has gained. This Hutt’s base speed is reduced to 15 ft. and takes a -1 penalty on all Dexterity-based roles, but his natural armor bonus increases to 8 and he gains Damage Reduction 2/---. This damage reduction stacks with other forms of damage reduction.
Normal: A Hutt’s base speed is 20 ft., and his natural armor bonus is equal to 6.

Squirmle [Hutt]
Prerequisites: None.
Benefits: On the Hutt’s back is a small, semi-vestigial appendage that is known as a squirmle. Although it is so thin that it is practically invisible to the naked eye (and thus incapable of holding any objects), this short appendage can be used to fulfill the somatic requirements of spells and powers, allowing such abilities to be used even when the Hutt’s hands are full or otherwise preoccupied.
Normal: Hutts have a squirmle, but the appendage is completely vestigial and useless.
Special: This feat can only be taken at first level.

Frathe
2013-01-24, 03:37 PM
One initial comment: Hutts get a bonus to Charisma? Hutts?! I know Jabba was good at manipulating people, but he's just so disgusting!

LOTRfan
2013-01-24, 03:50 PM
Well, Charisma is more than just looks. :smalltongue:

Mindflayers have very high Charisma scores, after all. The Hutts seem pretty good at subjugating and taking command of other people; there are at least three races that respect the Hutts so much they almost worship them. The Hutts are very good at getting what they want from others.

Arcanist
2013-01-24, 03:59 PM
I figured that you would make the Hutts have a dragon-esque age progression or something.

LOTRfan
2013-01-24, 04:14 PM
Ah, honestly I hadn't really considered that. I mean, I guess it makes sense, seeing as how they can live to be over a thousand. I'll work on the age progression. Maybe five or six age categories.

EDIT: Actually, I think I may just add a single extra age category. I'll add the bonuses/penalties later.

LOTRfan
2013-01-24, 06:35 PM
Added three feats and added the bonuses/penalties based off of age.

Now, the Hutt aging bonuses/penalties are a little different in order to account for the extra age category. By the time they reach ancient age, a Hutt has -4 Strength, -5 Dexterity, -4 Constitution, +5 Intelligence, +5 Wisdom, and +5 Charisma.

Morph Bark
2013-01-24, 06:43 PM
Added three feats and added the bonuses/penalties based off of age.

Now, the Hutt aging bonuses/penalties are a little different in order to account for the extra age category. By the time they reach ancient age, a Hutt has -4 Strength, -7 Dexterity, -4 Constitution, +5 Intelligence, +5 Wisdom, and +5 Charisma.

FTFY, as per what it says under your table. (Good thing ability scores can't become 0 from old age. :smalleek:)

Also, the way it is now, a lot of people will want to start as Middle Aged. -1 Dex for +1 to all mental ability scores? Yum!

LOTRfan
2013-01-24, 06:52 PM
Oh, jeez. Thanks for catching that. Yeah, -7 Dex. Suddenly it makes sense why all the really old Hutts are never leaving their throne.

And I was a little concerned about that at first as well, but I figure if the player is willing to give up six levels to play a Hutt a little extra bonus wouldn't hurt.

Arcanist
2013-01-24, 07:31 PM
I'd recommend adding in Spell Resistance since sometimes the Hutts are flat out resistant to the Force and other times they just as vulnerable as everyone else.

Also, the Lesser Regeneration ability doesn't really make much sense when discussing the Brain. Why even reference it? There aren't any rules for brain damage :smallconfused:

LOTRfan
2013-01-24, 07:39 PM
Well, to be fair there aren't really any rules for losing any sort of part of the body (not counting vorpal weapons), but I guess that part is irrelevant. It's mostly just fluff text, which doesn't really have a place in a description of how an ability works.

As for the spell resistance, I don't really recall any instances where Hutts were resistant to Force powers not involving the mind. I'll have to look into that again. But if I do decide to add that, I think that it should be less than the Spell Resistance of the Drow. Would, say, Spell Resistance equal to 6 + number of Hit Dice sound reasonable?

Arcanist
2013-01-24, 08:11 PM
As for the spell resistance, I don't really recall any instances where Hutts were resistant to Force powers not involving the mind. I'll have to look into that again. But if I do decide to add that, I think that it should be less than the Spell Resistance of the Drow. Would, say, Spell Resistance equal to 6 + number of Hit Dice sound reasonable?

WAY lower. 2 + 1/2 HD + Cha Modifier.

Amechra
2013-01-24, 09:19 PM
SR lower than 10+level is kinda useless...

So I wouldn't go with Arcanist's suggestion (you'd get a "hey look, I have SR 12+Cha at 20th level, which lets me ignore the spells of someone with 2+my Charisma modifier caster levels!" effect, which... doesn't work.)