PDA

View Full Version : 2e Martial Arts for the 3.5 Monk

TopCheese
2013-01-25, 10:55 PM
Ok so part of the problem with the monk is missing. Part of the Monk is just not being that great.

This isn't about that, this is about making the Monk more of a Martial Artist, without adding to many rules or over complicating things.

So 2e had a book called the "Complete Fighter's Handbook" that had a table (yaaaay tables!) for martial arts.

Depending on what you roll you do a certain amount of damage (and hit a specific body part) and have a chance of knocking the enemy out.

I would like to adapt this over to 3.5 for monk use. I have found many great fixes for the monk on this site, I would love to see this work with any of them.

I'm not sure yet how I should go about this. I want to give melee something that really only magic gets... Even if you miss there will be an effect, or something awesome happen.

So there are two options to go with.

1: Base the effect on the d20 roll. This will allow the Martial Arts to do something no matter if the monk misses or hits. With this the better abilities will be on the lower roll so that when you miss you don't say "aw damn" but something like "ooo let's see what happens!".

2: Base the effect on the end result of the roll. 1d20 + str + bab + whatever. The better you roll and the better hit the better your effect will be. With this however you will just be adding onto what the monk is already doing. You would still be able to do something on a miss but it would be a smaller ability.

I like option number 1 however I know this kinda go against 3.5 melee ideas.

So how about something like this...

{table=head]D20 Roll|Location|Damage|% KO

1|
+|
+|
+|

2|
+|
+|
+|

3|
+|
+|
+|

4|
+|
+|
+|

5|
+|
+|
+|

6|
+|
+|
+|

7|
+|
+|
+|

8|
+|
+|
+|

9|
+|
+|
+|

10|
+|
+|
+|

11|
+|
+|
+|

12|
+|
+|
+|

13|
+|
+|
+|

14|
+|
+|
+|

15|
+|
+|
+|

16|
+|
+|
+|

17|
+|
+|
+|
18|
+|
+|
+|

19|
+|
+|
+|

20|
Graze|
1|
0%|[/table]

My problem though is how to err balance it? What damage and percentage should I go with? I already have a list of body locations that the Monk will hit.

I put in the d20 roll for 20 though I don't like it... It is more for just reference for now.

Another thing I thought of is putting in different maneuvers (disarm,sunder,bullrush) instead of a KO %.... Still working on all this :P

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Zireael
2013-01-27, 02:01 PM
Location... weren't there Location rules in DMG?

As for balance, I'm afraid I can't help much, I can just say I like the idea.

TopCheese
2013-02-05, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure about location rules in the DMG, however I know there are some systems that do it well.

What I think I'll do is have it based on the d20 roll, the lower the result the better the outcome. This will be made to emulate the idea of your main attack missed but you followed up with a jab or quick kick, or even a headbutt that your oponent didn't see coming.

Roll 1 - 5 : Face hit, chance to KO an enemy. (9% + 1%/level of monk)

Roll 6 - 10: Leg hit, chance to trip/immobilize enemy. (24% + 1%/level of monk)

Roll 11 - 15: Body hit, chance to nuaseate/bullrush enemy. (24% + 1%/level of Monk)

Roll 16 - 20: Arm hit, chance to disarm/penalize att/dmg. (15% + 2%/level of monk)

This will keep the player excited and active no matter if they hit or miss a target with their medium BAB and MADness. Heck a monk could focus however they want and still have a good chance of doing something each round.

NOTE: Been away from this for a while due to work and other factors, I would like to fix this enough to make it workable even if my initial stuff is a bit weird.

*leg hit: I was thinking "kung fu hustle" where the guy stomps on the bad guys feet and flattens them :p. A childish but effective move haha.

Actually now that I think about it... The main good guy is what a monk should be :p well once he goes ape crazy.