PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU think the MitD is? [Spoilers]

Pages : [1] 2

Lykan
2006-11-06, 12:50 PM
Just for the irony, I'm gonna say a shadow.

the_tick_rules
2006-11-06, 01:00 PM
i'm presuming you mean the monster in the darkness xykon keeps with him right? how about a short nightwalker lol.

Doglord
2006-11-06, 01:21 PM
Probably something really weak (which Xycon thinks is strong) because citd is pretty not scary and poncy and stuff.

the_tick_rules
2006-11-06, 03:08 PM
maybe it's something like a retarded pit fiend then lol.

BardicLasher
2006-11-06, 03:08 PM
He's a miniature tarraque!

WoDHells
2006-11-06, 03:11 PM
I think we'll never know (or, perhaps, in the last strip ever)..

mikeejimbo
2006-11-06, 03:24 PM
A white rabbit.

BardicLasher
2006-11-06, 03:43 PM
I bet he's larger than the shadowy area he hides in under his umbrella. XD

Alchemistmerlin
2006-11-06, 04:47 PM
I think he's Arunninggag, the monster all organized D&D games fear.

sklar dansig
2006-11-06, 04:54 PM
has anyone thought about its alignment? it just struck my mind

fangthane
2006-11-06, 06:20 PM
I think it's a Grimlock.

This would explain its inability to see the inanimate (gate, for example) along with a few other things. So what if it raises more questions than it answers? :)

noweezernoworld
2006-11-06, 06:27 PM

I wholeheartedly agree.

the_tick_rules
2006-11-06, 07:57 PM
I think it's a Grimlock.
:)

i hope not. that would be so anticlimatic as to be ridiculus. let's hope he just has a low spot check.

Sheine
2006-11-06, 08:48 PM
My bet is we will never find out what mitd is until we find out V's gender (last strip maybe).
Would be funny if it was a Pixie or something.

J_Muller
2006-11-06, 09:02 PM
What if it's V's mate polymorphed? We get to know what it is, and what gender V is.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-11-06, 09:05 PM
i think it would be very funny if it was a small harmless fluffy thing. then in the next comic, it's revealed to be an advanced awakened, vampiric, half-feindish, lycanthrope dire bunny.

Maratanos
2006-11-06, 09:34 PM
What if it's V's mate polymorphed? We get to know what it is, and what gender V is.

That would be SOOOOoooo random, it's not even funny.

Spiky
2006-11-06, 10:10 PM
It's Tiffany. An 8 year old girl, carrying quantum physics books. Explains the whining, too.

Finwe
2006-11-06, 10:31 PM
It's Tiffany. An 8 year old girl, carrying quantum physics books. Explains the whining, too.

They don't really have a ghetto for her to walk around in at night, or aliens that pop up around her.

Cult_of_the_Raven
2006-11-06, 11:03 PM
Rofl. watching too much television, eh?

mikeejimbo
2006-11-06, 11:07 PM
She wouldn't be as scared of the darkness, I'd imagine.

Flabbicus
2006-11-06, 11:10 PM

Explains the memory problems. :biggrin:

Miklus
2006-11-06, 11:12 PM
It's an invisible stalker! When it is finally reveiled...nothing there!!!

Trobby
2006-11-07, 02:57 AM
Serious Answer: Probably a peice of the Snarl that escaped from the gate and formed it's own sentience.

Humorous Answer: Rich Berlew, author of the webcomic OOTS! TREMBLE BEFORE YOUR GOD, PUNY STICK FIGURES!

Serious again: Whatever it is though, it probably eats, and it probably eats children.

TreesOfDeath
2006-11-07, 03:30 AM
Somthing dark.
A shadow is a very likely choice. Nightstalker or something would be good shots.
It'd be hillarous if it were a Kobold.
And we have to find out before the end, as the next time they fight Xylon he will actually use it, unless something derails him agian

Everto
2006-11-07, 03:42 AM
I think it is monstrous creature that according to the MM is mostly evil but MitD is just different than the rest and now he's just a sissy(like the devil in southpark). He was probably the cheapest one Xycon could find.

Neo
2006-11-07, 03:57 AM
I think it is monstrous creature that according to the MM is mostly evil but MitD is just different than the rest and now he's just a sissy(like the devil in southpark). He was probably the cheapest one Xycon could find.

You mean a drow like Drizz't? :D

Miklus
2006-11-07, 08:10 AM
Serious Answer: Probably a peice of the Snarl that escaped from the gate and formed it's own sentience.

You know, that thought has passed my mind to. It might explain that, for some reason, it can't see the gates. It might also be powerful enough to pose a real threat to the OotS. Nothing in the Monster Manual seems to be a real challenge, the party slays liches, black dragons and whatnot on a regular basis.

Every players worst nightmare: The DM's homebrewed monster design...totally broken! Run away! Run away!

Wrecan
2006-11-07, 09:43 AM

Agree. Completely.

Darkhands
2006-11-07, 10:59 AM
EDIT: WARNING! My simple theory as to the identity of the MitD turned into a prediction of the ENTIRE OotS storyline! Do not read if you do not want the entire comic (possibly) spoiled!

Wow, can't believe no one's posted this yet: (another edit: ok so a few people DID post it, but now there's alot more here regarding the entire comic :) )

I believe the MitD to be none other than the snarl! A weakened form of the snarl, but the snarl none the less. I believe Xykon was able to extract a part of the snarl when Redcloak burned down Lirian's gate in the forest. Xykon is trying to unseal the other gates so as to bring him to full power.

It's all slickly hinted at in the 'crayon recollection' of comics 273-277.

For one, in Comic 23 the first showing of the MitD's eyes match the snarl's eyes in Comic 273.
We all love the running joke about how the MitD never sees the gates 'Gate? What gate?'. I believe it's more than just a gag... The gates are meant to keep the snarl imprisoned, to hide the rifts from the snarl that it might free itself through. That's why he can't see the gates. The snarl can't perceive its own prison!

In fact, I believe that the entire ending of the comic is secretly revealed in the crayon segment.

Look at comic 276. Note the 6 original adventurers that created the gates. Does the party look familiar? It matches the OOTS! It seems as though the Order of the Stick is following the same path that the original adventurers took. They will ultimately repeat the fates of the old party in order to save the universe.

In 276, Kraagor is killed while sealing one of the rifts. Kraagor is the dwarf of the party, the counterpart to Durkon. Durkon will die heroically while sealing a rift just as his counterpart did in the past, bringing the Oracles prediction of him returning to his homeland posthumously to fruition.

In 277, Dorukan creates his gate using powerful magic. Dorukan is Vaarsuvius' counterpart, Vaarsuvius will do the same.

Girard Draketooth creates his gate using powerful illusions. Girard is Elan's counterpart, and Elan is a master of illusions.

Serini, the halfling of the original party, creates a giant castle filled to the brim with terrible monsters to guard her gate. Exactly something Belkar would do.

Roy/Soon Kim, and Haley/Lirian are a little harder to figure out...

Soon Kim created the Sapphire Guard to protect his gate, a group of Paladins dedicated to its protection. Perhaps Roy will create a group of warriors to do the same? Perhaps he will blend in his family's magic to do so, acquiring paladin-like traits, to make up for, storyline-wise, for the upcoming fall/death of Miko (we all know it's coming)?

Lirian creates her gate using the trees and the forest to protect it. While not exactly matching with Haley's personality, I believe the unrevealed storyline regarding her imprisoned father will make the tie-in for a forest gate make sense for Haley.

So there you have it. The OotS follows the path of the original party and saves the universe. Only I think they won't collapse and break apart in hatred like the old party did. Durkon's death will weigh heavily on everyone, bringing the party to the brink. But instead of collapsing as the old party did, Elan will be able to save the day, and bring about his 'Happy ending' that the oracle predicted for him.

Ok, so a simple question of 'What do you think the MitD is?' became 'My prediction of the entire storyline for the Order of the Stick'. So what! :)

So, thoughts?

Doglord
2006-11-07, 11:18 AM
I bet he's larger than the shadowy area he hides in under his umbrella. XD

Yeah, thatd be cool! They fight in the open and he casts down the umbrella... and a great wyrm red dragon or something pops out.

Thexare Blademoon
2006-11-07, 12:17 PM
I think it's a Grimlock.

This would explain its inability to see the inanimate (gate, for example) along with a few other things. So what if it raises more questions than it answers? :)

But wasn't it reading the journal Xykon found in his tower in 195? Books are inanimate, y'know.

TreesOfDeath
2006-11-07, 12:31 PM
Basic choas theory says its hard to predict something fully cause as time goes on theirs more variables to **** you over.
And Rich is very good at surrpises.
I would consider your theory very strong except:
1) This comic began as a basically unconnected series of gaming jokes. Given that its almost a given that Rich would think of the creature as some generic shadow thing, although with the norse gods he MIGHT have though about world creation, but I doubt it
2) Wouldn't the thing in the shaodw's be less wussy and more hateful? He barely seems evil half the time

Closet_Skeleton
2006-11-07, 12:54 PM
Something with yellow eyes...

BardicLasher
2006-11-07, 01:00 PM
I would like to point out that he has almost the SAME EYES as Redcloak. Look at the first panel of 371. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0371.html

fangthane
2006-11-07, 04:49 PM
Girard is Elan's counterpart, and Elan is a master of illusions.

Serini, the halfling of the original party, creates a giant castle filled to the brim with terrible monsters to guard her gate. Exactly something Belkar would do.

:)

So, thoughts?
I think you're wrong... I have to admit, you make some interesting points but as soon as you said "Elan is a master of illusions" you lost me. He can do either an ogre or a litter of puppies, by his own admission - that's hardly indicative of mastery. :)

Also, I don't think Belkar would (or could) care enough about others even to participate. He's capable of rudimentary care for others, but that's selflessness and I don't buy it. Maybe if he got a CorpseMaster 1000 to animate his victims he could be convinced, but I really don't see it happening.

Of course, the MitD could always be something like the Nidhogg(r), whose appearance is meant to be one of the signs of Ragnarok... I don't see it being Ratatosk and it's nowhere near big enough to be Jormungandr - but the serpent was disguised as a housecat well enough to fool Thor, so we can't really rule those out either ;)

Turcano
2006-11-07, 05:17 PM
I'm going to suggest that this is tied into one of the oldest and lamest cliches in gamer humor:

The Monster in the Darkness is the Darkness! And V attacks him... with magic missile!

Okay, that was really bad. I apologize.

Thexare Blademoon
2006-11-07, 05:26 PM
I think you're wrong... I have to admit, you make some interesting points but as soon as you said "Elan is a master of illusions" you lost me. He can do either an ogre or a litter of puppies, by his own admission - that's hardly indicative of mastery. :)
He also conjured a female half-orc when the Order fought the Linear Guild the first time, and a female Chimera in one of the first strips.

The Extinguisher
2006-11-07, 07:24 PM
So he can take what he sees and make it female. That doesn't really have any practical uses ever.

Anyway, I'm know 100% positive what he is. He is a - *snipe*

...My eyes! You shot out my eyes! The pain! Oh dear Iggy the pain!

Tharj TreeSmiter
2006-11-07, 07:41 PM
I actually think it's much morel likely that we'll NEVER get to see the MiTD cuz as a mysterious thing we all imagine what would be the coolest, scariest or whatever for each of us and thus we all like him, but whatever he draws can't possible satisfy everyone or even most people so it's much better to leave him in the shadows.

Grod_The_Giant
2006-11-07, 08:44 PM
I don't know. I have a feeling that in the last comic the CitD is in, it ends with Xykon being defeated, the OOTS walking off and the CitD saying...

"Can I come out yet? Sir?"

or something along those lines.

Evil_Pacifist
2006-11-07, 08:56 PM
It's Keith Baker!

Electricall
2006-11-07, 09:33 PM
EDIT: WARNING! My simple theory as to the identity of the MitD turned into a prediction of the ENTIRE OotS storyline! Do not read if you do not want the entire comic (possibly) spoiled!

Wow, can't believe no one's posted this yet: (another edit: ok so a few people DID post it, but now there's alot more here regarding the entire comic :) )

I believe the MitD to be none other than the snarl! A weakened form of the snarl, but the snarl none the less. I believe Xykon was able to extract a part of the snarl when Redcloak burned down Lirian's gate in the forest. Xykon is trying to unseal the other gates so as to bring him to full power.

For one, in Comic 23 the first showing of the MitD's eyes match the snarl's eyes in Comic 273.
We all love the running joke about how the MitD never sees the gates 'Gate? What gate?'. I believe it's more than just a gag... The gates are meant to keep the snarl imprisoned, to hide the rifts from the snarl that it might free itself through. That's why he can't see the gates. The snarl can't perceive its own prison!

In fact, I believe that the entire ending of the comic is secretly revealed in the crayon segment.

Look at comic 276. Note the 6 original adventurers that created the gates. Does the party look familiar? It matches the OOTS! It seems as though the Order of the Stick is following the same path that the original adventurers took. They will ultimately repeat the fates of the old party in order to save the universe.

In 276, Kraagor is killed while sealing one of the rifts. Kraagor is the dwarf of the party, the counterpart to Durkon. Durkon will die heroically while sealing a rift just as his counterpart did in the past, bringing the Oracles prediction of him returning to his homeland posthumously to fruition.

In 277, Dorukan creates his gate using powerful magic. Dorukan is Vaarsuvius' counterpart, Vaarsuvius will do the same.

Girard Draketooth creates his gate using powerful illusions. Girard is Elan's counterpart, and Elan is a master of illusions.

Soon Kim created the Sapphire Guard to protect his gate, a group of Paladins dedicated to its protection. Perhaps Roy will create a group of warriors to do the same? Perhaps he will blend in his family's magic to do so, acquiring paladin-like traits, to make up for, storyline-wise, for the upcoming fall/death of Miko (we all know it's coming)?

Lirian creates her gate using the trees and the forest to protect it. While not exactly matching with Haley's personality, I believe the unrevealed storyline regarding her imprisoned father will make the tie-in for a forest gate make sense for Haley.

So there you have it. The OotS follows the path of the original party and saves the universe. Only I think they won't collapse and break apart in hatred like the old party did. Durkon's death will weigh heavily on everyone, bringing the party to the brink. But instead of collapsing as the old party did, Elan will be able to save the day, and bring about his 'Happy ending' that the oracle predicted for him.

Ok, so a simple question of 'What do you think the MitD is?' became 'My prediction of the entire storyline for the Order of the Stick'. So what! :)

So, thoughts?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

krossbow
2006-11-07, 09:43 PM
Woah... that actually makes sense.

And they even say that the Snarl is incapable of percieving its prison when the gods are creating it; That explains perfectly why the monster in the dark can't see it!

Though, if it is the snarl, I see it being more likely that, since the MitD is so non-evil, that the OotS would find a way to kind of soothe it and destroy it forever that way.

Electricall
2006-11-07, 10:45 PM
Woah... that actually makes sense.

And they even say that the Snarl is incapable of percieving its prison when the gods are creating it; That explains perfectly why the monster in the dark can't see it!

Though, if it is the snarl, I see it being more likely that, since the MitD is so non-evil, that the OotS would find a way to kind of soothe it and destroy it forever that way.

It's possible, simply because things in this comic happen without logic.

I'd say the whole non-evil bent to the MitD is meant to throw the reader off the scent. If it was all ultra evil and continually talked about destroying the world, it would be very obvious what it was.

Thexare Blademoon
2006-11-07, 10:46 PM
So he can take what he sees and make it female. That doesn't really have any practical uses ever.

It got Thog to stop, didn't it? :smalltongue:

The Extinguisher
2006-11-07, 11:00 PM
Touche Thexare. Touche

J_Muller
2006-11-07, 11:12 PM
I'm going to suggest that this is tied into one of the oldest and lamest cliches in gamer humor:

The Monster in the Darkness is the Darkness! And V attacks him... with magic missile!

Okay, that was really bad. I apologize.

Not to bring this off the topic, but where does that stem from anyway?

Turcano
2006-11-08, 02:42 AM
Not to bring this off the topic, but where does that stem from anyway?

It's from a comedy sketch by the Dead Alewives Society titled "Dungeons & Dragons." It's probably floating around somewhere on the seven internets.

krossbow
2006-11-08, 03:02 PM
Personally, I like the second recording better;

"The merchant turns into a platinum dragon and eats you!"

TreesOfDeath
2006-11-08, 03:09 PM
*feels ignored*
Look the Snarl is a being of pure malice, if the MiTD was part of, it'd be a lot more fierce and evil

Learnedguy
2006-11-08, 03:16 PM
A playtapus. A Dire wereplaytapus. Nuff said.
Darkhands theory though is pretty consistent.

krossbow
2006-11-08, 03:21 PM
Wait... hold on a second. This actually makes some sense.

If the MitD is the snarl, that could explain what caused the forest fire that destroyed the last gate. Its possible that when either Xycon, redcloak, or redcloak's teacher/father/whatever found the last gate, they succeeded in opening it up, letting it through, and causing the forest fire. The gate could of been sealed up again after a large battle (in whihc the fire might of started), thus why the red cloak piece is at the scene with goblin foot prints.

If this is true, its possible that a small sliver of the snarl was left behind on this side, thus explaining how the MitD would of escaped.

After all, often the most evil villians are the one's who don't act that way.

Wrecan
2006-11-08, 06:21 PM
Look the Snarl is a being of pure malice, if the MiTD was part of, it'd be a lot more fierce and evil

That's Shojo's description of the Snarl. I think that, since the Snarl is born of the continuity errors of an entire universe, that the Snarl is actually a creature of pure neuroses, some homicidal, some not. That describes the MitD pretty darn well.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2006-11-08, 09:09 PM
MitD's eyes match the snarl's eyes in Comic 273

Granted but that might be like saying haley's arms match Roy's thus they are siblings... Don't forget he's an artist and they have certain styles which are commonly reused either conscioulsy or unconscioulsy and while I agree with you it may not be significant.

Your theory is interesting, but I also think it would be hard to keep a comic funny if you start killing off main characters.

twerk_face
2006-11-08, 09:34 PM
I think the CitD is the Citd.

I don't think it will ever be revealed to us, the readers, and i actually hope it doesn't either. it's so much funnier as a concept.

twerk_face
2006-11-08, 09:41 PM

So, thoughts?

wow, i hadn't read your thought before my last post, and while i still stand by my oppinion, that is very interesting as an idea on the story end, but not the CitD. But then again, seeing how Xycon thinks the gates are the most powerful things in the world (which they are), maybe a little piece of the snarl would be something that SOULD be scary, but for some reason, isn't.

J_Muller
2006-11-08, 10:46 PM
I think the CitD is the Citd.

I don't think it will ever be revealed to us, the readers, and i actually hope it doesn't either. it's so much funnier as a concept.

Sort of like the Noodle Incident?

TheFallenOne
2006-11-09, 03:47 AM
I also think it is a part of the snarl. It would be an interesting twist if later was revealed that everything they've been told about the snarl is a lie and in reality it is an innocent, chaotic good creature with insane powers and the gods imprisoned it out of fear or because the snarl was unable to control it's own powers.

Gnarf
2006-11-09, 07:47 AM
Its either a care bear, or a smurf. Both frightening in and of themselves. :)

Lord Zentei
2006-11-09, 07:50 AM
A Caller in Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/callerInDarkness.htm)? Of course, it should be scarier then, but as Redcloak has pointed out, the CitD is not as scary as it should be. :smallwink:

The Snarl idea is a pretty good one.

Jukashi
2006-11-09, 12:29 PM
It's likely to be a Grue. :smalltongue:

Barbarianpixie
2006-11-09, 03:03 PM
I'm not so sure about the snarl idea. Look at how the MitD behaves here:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0117.html

Am I the only one who can't imagine the snarl being the kind of thing that needs to eat like that?

fangthane
2006-11-09, 04:27 PM
But wasn't it reading the journal Xykon found in his tower in 195? Books are inanimate, y'know.
Ha, got it... It spent two skill points on braille. ;)

And it knew Redcloak was holding up a book because it's a mobile object and echolocation allowed it to see. Whew, that's that loose end tied up (snarl pun very much intended, thank you)

Actually for some time I've wondered if it might be a piece of the snarl, but I can't figure a solid justification for it to have been separated from the remainder. I tend to agree that if we ever do see it, that'll herald the end of the strip.

Minimiscience
2006-11-09, 05:08 PM
IT'S -- IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!

Seriously, though, if we ever do find out what it is, it'll probably have eaten so much junk food that it'll be just a huge, unidentifiable, impotent (for combat purposes) blob.

Or the Snarl or a piece thereof. I was going to present that as an alternate theory (less in-depth than Darkhands', better-spelled than Introbulus') but apparently I got beaten.

XtheYeti
2006-11-09, 05:55 PM

So, thoughts?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Dude you may just be right....

Minimiscience
2006-11-10, 12:05 AM
Hold on... I just thought of a hole in the Snarl theory. In #259 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0259.html), the hobgoblin appears to know what the MitD is, yet Xykon must be keeping everything about the Snarl a secret, so how could Kodrog recognize it for what it is? Unless of course he mistook it for something else, or logic doesn't apply to answering reader mail.

TinSoldier
2006-11-10, 12:13 AM
Logic does not apply to answering reader mail.

:smalltongue:

Trobby
2006-11-10, 01:21 AM
IT'S -- IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!
less in-depth than Darkhands', better-spelled than Introbulus'.

Referring, of course, to the fact that I didn't go into detail about how the mitd could be a peice of the snarl, rather than the two typos I made in that post, correct? :smallwink:

Seriously though, I'm starting to think I've started a trend. Or at least, restarted a trend that was already in place at a point in the past.

Defending my Stance: The hobgoblin could very well have told us readers what the mitd looked like underneath, such as "Turns out the thing in the darkness is actually- some kind of tangle of reality", or something along those lines. Anything, really, since he never finished his sentance.

Nobody go starting a thread about that! @_@; We've got enough trouble trying to figure out what main characters were going to say, we don't need to start worrying about one-shot characters.

Shooting down my theory: Perhaps the mitd is a Medusa monster, and staying in the dark is necessary for her, because otherwise everyone would die just from seeing her.

twerk_face
2006-11-10, 07:33 AM
Sort of like the Noodle Incident?

I admit to NOTHING!!!

: )

Neo
2006-11-10, 10:18 AM
What if he's some kind of halwit goblin demi-god thing?

TroyXavier
2006-11-10, 10:24 AM
I'm going with Half-Fiend Flumph.

Woolysock
2006-11-10, 10:40 AM
Its either a care bear, or a smurf. Both frightening in and of themselves. :)

Its a CareSmurf.
"I'm WhiteHeart Smurf, and I'm going to spew glittery crap from my belly (or thereabouts) that will make you feel good"

Celisasu
2006-11-10, 12:39 PM
I can just see the comic ending, The Order of the Stick saving the day, Xykon and Redcloak defeated, celebrations throughout the world. The Giant puts up "The End" and then right below we get a little panel. "Helloooo? Anyone there? I STILL don't know what I look like. Is it okay to show myself now? Can I? Please?"

Then...."Really The End".

And nobody ever knows what the CitD is. Including itself.

Miklus
2006-11-10, 12:57 PM
The only thing we know about the MitD is that it is always hungry. It eats popcorn and thin mints...and girl scouts. That fits poorly with the snarl teory. Does the snarl even have a stomach?

Maybe we will get another clue in the next comic? :miko: vs :mitd:

Grey Knight
2006-11-10, 01:35 PM
I would like to point out that he has almost the SAME EYES as Redcloak.
I would like to point out that stick figures do not leave much leeway for eye-style differentiation :smallwink:

It'd be hillarous if it were a Kobold.
A sickly kobold with gum disease, to be precise!

XtheYeti
2006-11-10, 01:51 PM
The MitD is Rich, DM and the creator of the comic, he there for is powerful and not at the same time? Yes? No?

Probly not

Kadasbrass
2006-11-10, 02:03 PM
I believe :mitd: is just a pair of floating eyes or...

A pair of will-o-wisp with darkness casted on them!

sealemon
2006-11-11, 05:55 AM
"It'd be hillarous if it were a Kobold."

Pun-Pun? That would explain its "love tap" on Miko.

Seriously, I agree that the MITD is either:

1. A piece of the Snarl.
2. Something That Will Never Be Revealed.

Atheist_Cleric
2006-11-11, 06:06 AM
The Snarl theory is pretty good, except there would have to be a reason for the MITD's personality...the snarl exists only to destroy and unmake creation, meanwhile the MITD enjoys marshmallows, popcorn, and watching dwarves have sex. Plus how would a mini-Snarl attract demon-roaches? I think it's either a Grue...or some kind of mini-terrasque, a monster who is supposed to represent the apocalypse acting like that would be hilarious.

theseus
2006-11-11, 06:24 AM
From my personal notes on the Q&A panel Rich gave at GenCon:

Yes, we will find out who the creature in the Darkness is, somewhere close to the end of the comic. (This seemed to be a frequently asked question.) If Rich hasn’t come up with a good idea for the final reveal, the Creature might just step out of the Darkness and say ‘Oh, and here I am!” (I’m quite convinced that Rich was kidding about this – of course he will find an inventive and cool way to pay off this mystery.)

Rich was asked if there would ever be a clue as to what the Creature of the Darkness is. Rich replied only if he could make the clue sufficiently obscure that no one on the message forums would be able to guess the right answer. The people on the forums are diverse and pretty smart – and he wouldn’t want the answer to be guessed beforehand.

I assume we have just received such a clue.

Note: I am paraphrasing Rich’s actual words.

theseus
2006-11-11, 06:38 AM
Further note: Just realised my last thread about the end of the strip may need clarification...

Also from my personal notes:

There will be a definite end to the comic, in maybe five, maybe ten years. Hopefully before D20 isn’t around any more. Rich will probably start on something new after that.

Note: I am again paraphrasing Rich's actual words.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-11, 08:15 AM
The Snarl theory is pretty good, except there would have to be a reason for the MITD's personality...the snarl exists only to destroy and unmake creation, meanwhile the MITD enjoys marshmallows, popcorn, and watching dwarves have sex. Plus how would a mini-Snarl attract demon-roaches? I think it's either a Grue...or some kind of mini-terrasque, a monster who is supposed to represent the apocalypse acting like that would be hilarious.

Keep in mind that that story was just the way the gods and the Sapphire Guard understood the events that occoured. They never showed the story from the perspective of the Snarl.

If the MitD is just a fragment of the Snarl, and a love tap from the MitD can send Shojo's most powerful paladin flying, the Snarl needn't even have been aware of the consequences of its actions. Indeed, the MitD seems pretty oblivious to the consequences of its actions.

In other words, the Snarl would not be a ravening monster as much as a out of control (and horrendously powerful) baby. Imagine having to babysit a clueless toddler that happens to be a hundred times more powerful than you are, and is randomly flailing around (possibly wanting just to play). And the Snarl was, in actual fact, newborn when it attacked the gods of the east.

Spiky
2006-11-11, 09:35 AM
I was actually going to say a 4 year old girl, mostly based on my daughter. Very dangerous creatures.

But then I changed it to Tiffany (back a couple pages) for better comic effect.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2006-11-11, 09:57 AM
I've no idea what the :mitd: is, but I fired a +3 arrow at it, and it wasn't even wounded.
I'm running away to find someone with an axe, or some fire spells.

Grug
2006-11-11, 11:52 AM
Here's what we really know about the CitD

It is Corporeal
It has 2 eye, possibly more hidden ones
It needs to eat, so probably not undead.
It can finely manipulate objects.
It doesn't like being forced to stay in the dark the whole time.
It is medium size (it can fit under the umbrella)
It has damage reduction
It is not very smart or observant (low wisdom?)
It packs a wallop (see 374)
It is something familiar enough for a hobgoblin to recognize.

Also something else interesting, in comic 374 Miko does not detect that it is evil, but attacks after it says she can't leave.

Neo
2006-11-11, 11:59 AM
Maybe its the embodiment of the missing portion of Thog's brain :D

Collin152
2006-11-11, 01:27 PM
PunPun. Notice it has the same color eyes as Yok-Yok. Its small enough to fit nder the umbrella, and might not realize that its more than just a kobold. Infinite Damagre Reduction, tiny hands, strength score as high as it wants it to be...

TETanglebrooke
2006-11-11, 02:48 PM
we do not know that it eats as we do not see any of the after effect and obviously we do not see it actually eating.

i personally think it is either pun pun OR a troll half red dragon ghost with the ability of telekenisis and has taken all of the levels of "master of the unseen hand"

foXXtail
2006-11-11, 04:26 PM
Whatever it is, it's likely to be a child. It loves games, is easily excited, listens to its "parent figure" while still being slightly rebellious and loves cookies.

.... then again... I just described myself.

Fine. We'll go with "child-like"

Grug
2006-11-11, 07:11 PM
we do not know that it eats as we do not see any of the after effect and obviously we do not see it actually eating.

See OOTS #82. I highly doubt he made that popcorn just to play with it.

If it's pun-pun, i would just DIE.

TinSoldier
2006-11-11, 07:32 PM
The only thing is if it was pun-pun, then it would pwn Xykon!

At any rate, it would not be serving him.

Gregory Lionheart
2006-11-11, 07:57 PM
i like the miniature tarrasque idea

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-11, 08:06 PM
The only thing is if it was pun-pun, then it would pwn Xykon!

At any rate, it would not be serving him.

Why not? With all that power, don't you think Pun-Pun might get bored sometimes?

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-11-11, 08:14 PM
and Elan is a master of illusions.

Hey, I think I see the flaw in your theory! ;)

Seriously, though, I think that's kind of a stretch, that they'll have exactly the same adventure as the Crayola Guild. Among other things, it would be pretty lamesauce. Also, in order for it to come true, ALL the other gates will have to be destroyed first, not just the Redmountain and Lirian's. So they'd have to destroy all the gates, then rebuild all the gates, which...I don't think that's where this is going. I certainly hope not. If all the gates are destroyed, they might not have enough time to get them rebuilt anyway...

Azukar
2006-11-11, 08:45 PM
A Grue? Reminiscent of the old Zork games? I've already debunked my own theory in the OotS discussion forum, but hey, I may as well let you guys think it through as well.

RandomNPC
2006-11-11, 09:46 PM
its a living spell, well, three combined, dancing lights, and darkness. it later found a living Mage hand / Magic mouth and they got stuck in a ragamoffin (sp?) and are now one creature. kind of like a three piece suit.

Harr
2006-11-11, 10:16 PM
I would vote for the whole snarl thing being on the ball.

I would also vote for the whole 'our heroes go and repeat everything we already saw the other heroes do' thing, cause it sounds really logical, but I have to vote against it just based on how mind-numbing, coma-inducing, suicide-provokingly BORING it would make the whole rest of the strip. Really I think the ol Giant can do better than that in the writing department.

Heheh a Grue... that brings back memories.

LordOfNarf
2006-11-11, 10:49 PM
I belive the MitD is a koblod wizard 1/Divine minion 1/master of many forms 3, with a viper familliar.

erewhon
2006-11-11, 11:28 PM
Heh, I'm such a nerd, i registered just to post this. :D

One, Pun Pun is dumb, and Mr. Burlew is not, so that's out.

Two, the snarl-bit idea is not shabby. About the only issue I'd have with it is the fact that it's a custom monster, and would open El Giant to the "Plot Monster" accusation.

Three, there are suitable contenders for the MITD in the current rules.

For example, I personally think it could be a young Gloom.

A Gloom has huge stats, DR 10, 300+ hitpoints, and is generally badass enough to make it credible. The young part explains why it is so naive and willing to follow Xycon rather than stomping him, as well as the lack of some class features. (Fear gaze, although that might also explain why Xycon keeps it in the dark, as a careful read of the description implies if it is in darkness, the fear gaze does not work.)

A Gloom's strength is generally not QUITE high enough to swat Miko like that, but dropping its Int, Wis, and Cha by 20 each (young, remember) and adding some or all of those stats back to its strength EASILY gets enough horsepower to do the job.

Best of all, it's a medium size, monstrous humanoid. No fancy outsider/miniature tarrasque/"darkness changes its size" baloney needed, and the Gloom is even in the SRD!

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/epicNonAbominations.html#gloom

I'm sure other folks can think of other candidates. A hagunemnon would also certainly be powerful enough, but I wonder how Xycon could keep such a behemoth under control.

Zaggotzoo
2006-11-11, 11:32 PM
The monster in the dark is a Grue.

More info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_%28monster%29

KeithF
2006-11-11, 11:46 PM
I was so pleased with this idea that I registered on the forums after months of lurking...

In the same vein as Erewhon, I thought about monsters in the Epic Level Handbook that might fit the bill, and I immediately gravitated towards a Slaad, particularly one modified with one or more templates to increase its strength to the kind of level needed to hurl Miko across the landscape on a whim. The MitD could, for example, be a paragon and/or pseudonatural death slaad.

This seems plausible (to me at least) for a couple of other reasons. First of all, the MitD's personality: what super-powerful creature other than a quintessentially chaotic slaad would act in such a childish manner (unless it actually was a child)? Secondly, Xykon's ability to control it - it would be well within his potential ability to use Greater Planar Binding or Gate to summon a creature with as many HD as a death slaad (or even the white and black slaad from the Epic Level Handbook). Its templates (if any) wouldn't affect its HD, so as long as Xykon knew there was an unusually powerful, easily manipulated slaad in existence he could potentially summon it and bind it to him with promises of unlimited junk food (the chief desire of its chosen-on-a-whim personality). A paragon, or one of the epic slaad, could also be expected to have epic damage reduction, which would explain why Miko couldn't hurt it.

The main stumbling block I can see is that OotS seems to use only Open Gaming Content, and some of the stuff I've listed like the paragon template may not be in the SRD. However, we have seen slaad in a limited form (Elan's Chaos conscience), and the CitD may simply be a tweaked uber-slaad that doesn't specifically use material from the ELH.

TinSoldier
2006-11-12, 12:34 AM
Why not? With all that power, don't you think Pun-Pun might get bored sometimes?No, with ultimate cosmic power I don't think I would ever be bored. I would just summon up my own entertainment.

Then again, I guess Q got bored once in awhile so it is possible.

Dammit! Everyone refused to acknowledge my pun!

LordOfNarf
2006-11-12, 01:59 AM
One, Pun Pun is dumb, and Mr. Burlew is not, so that's out.

However, a joke at Pun-Pun is not only great, but given the nature of this comic, probably overdue, After almost 300 comics of wondering, if we found out that the MitP was a kobold it would be halaroius.

Lord Zentei
2006-11-12, 02:01 AM
No, with ultimate cosmic power I don't think I would ever be bored. I would just summon up my own entertainment.

Then again, I guess Q got bored once in awhile so it is possible.

Q got beaten by Janeway and sucker-punched by Sisko. He's not that tough. Your theory is safe. :smallwink:

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-12, 03:07 AM
I have a lazy, cop-out theory that makes mild sense:

He's really Chuck Norris:

1. It was once believed that Chuck Norris actually lost a fight to a pirate, but that is a lie, created by Chuck Norris himself to lure more pirates to him.
1a. When his martial arts prowess fails to resolve a situation, Chuck Norris plays dead. When playing dead doesn't work, he plays zombie.
-His demeanor is just a ruse. Those who actually dared face him were defeated.

2. When Chuck Norris's wife burned the turkey one Thanksgiving, Chuck said, "Don't worry about it honey," and went into his backyard. He came back five minutes later with a live turkey, ate it whole, and when he threw it up a few seconds later it was fully cooked and came with cranberry sauce. When his wife asked him how he had done it, he gave her a roundhouse kick to the face and said, "Never question Chuck Norris."
2a. Chuck Norris doesn't need to swallow when eating food.
2b. Chuck Norris once ate a whole cake before his friends could tell him there was a stripper in it.
-Mallomars are notoriously chewy, yet he consumed three crates in a single helping. His diet is accordingly massive, yet easily consumed.

3. Chuck Norris once tried to defeat Garry Kasparov in a game of chess. When Norris lost, he won in life by roundhouse kicking Kasparov in the side of the face.
3a. Chuck Norris invented a language that incorporates karate and roundhouse kicks. So next time Chuck Norris is kicking your ass, don't be offended or hurt, he may be just trying to tell you he likes your hat.
3b. Chuck Norris' roundhouse kick is so powerful, it can be seen from outer space by the naked eye.
3c. A young man once had the nerve to go up to Chuck Norris and and tell him a roundhouse kick to the face was not the best way to kill a man. This has been recorded by historians as the worst mistake anyone has ever made.
3d. Police label anyone attacking Chuck Norris as a Code 45-11.... a suicide.
3e. Chuck Norris is the only man to ever defeat a brick wall in a game of tennis.
-Most of Chuck's actions are based on roundhouse kicks. Even an idle game would have this. Chuck's kicks also emit shockwaves capable of traveling miles away. The monster's actions show that since even the lightest touch (or kick) against Miko resulted in her being thrown clear of a mountain range.
-Underestimating Chuck's kicks will result in pain. Miko assumed that the monster's touch would be inconsequential.
-Attacking Chuck will result in a swift rebuttal. Miko's ensuing ownage was a direct result of her strike against him.
-Miko was railgunned through a solid stone wall.

4. Chuck Norris doesn't believe in Germany.
-Germany is home to the famous Brandenburg gate. The monster cannot perceive gates.

5. Scientists used to believe that diamond was the world's hardest substance. But then they met Chuck Norris, who gave them a roundhouse kick to the face so hard, and with so much heat and pressure, that the scientists turned into artificial Chuck Norris.
5a. Chuck Norris is ten feet tall, weighs two-tons, breathes fire, and could eat a hammer and take a shotgun blast standing.
-The monster was able to shrug damage that almost killed a fully-armored strong, healthy male.

6. Chuck Norris has two speeds: Walk and Kill.
-The monster has only been seen idly walking around, or consuming/destroying.

7. MacGyver can build an airplane out of gum and paper clips, but Chuck Norris can roundhouse-kick his head through a wall and take it.
7a. Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.
-The monster is biding his time by letting Xykon and Co. do the planning and the work. His time will come.

8. The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.
-The monster causes extreme emotional frustration among those who live with him. The two goblins who needed shade were purposefully neglected.

9. Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.
-The monster exists in the dark because he invented it. Ask V for that other part.

10. The original draft of The Lord of the Rings featured Chuck Norris instead of Frodo Baggins. It was only 5 pages long, as Chuck roundhouse-kicked Sauron’s ass halfway through the first chapter.
-The monster will end the story. Enough said.

Shadowdweller
2006-11-12, 03:40 AM
My thoughts: A medusa. Why else keep it constantly in the dark?

Min
2006-11-12, 04:02 AM
The monster in the dark is a Grue.

More info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_%28monster%29

It's not a Grue. They fear the light (check the page you linked).

MiTD is constantly asking to be allowed to leave the darkness (and in some strips actually seems to be scared of the dark), which indicates that he does not fear the light; therefore MiTD cannot be a Grue.

Delgarde
2006-11-12, 04:44 AM
MiTD is constantly asking to be allowed to leave the darkness (and in some strips actually seems to be scared of the dark), which indicates that he does not fear the light; therefore MiTD cannot be a Grue.

Ah, but it doesn't know what it looks like - that's one of the reasons it wants the light. So if it doesn't know it's a Grue, why would it be afraid of the light?

Lord Zentei
2006-11-12, 09:17 AM
I doubt it is a Medusa: it has much too high Strength.

I have a lazy, cop-out theory that makes mild sense:

He's really Chuck Norris:

<SNIPPA>

-The monster will end the story. Enough said.

LOL! But would Chuck Norris work for Xykon? I doubt it. He would roundhouse-kick Xykon as soon as he thought he could push Chuck Norris around.

Penguinizer
2006-11-12, 11:56 AM
A were-penguin :P

bad joke...

might be an evil planetar or outsider of some kind.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-11-12, 12:41 PM
I doubt it is a Medusa: it has much too high Strength.

LOL! But would Chuck Norris work for Xykon? I doubt it. He would roundhouse-kick Xykon as soon as he thought he could push Chuck Norris around.

He's letting them do the dirty work for him. Has the monster ACTUALLY done a lick of honest work since hanging out with Xykon? He's letting Xykon do the thinking, leaving the monster with an easy path to victory.

Also: Xykon's dead. The kicks may just be doing the opposite of their intended purpose by keeping him alive. Seeing as Norris's kicks are not really standard attacks, stranger things have happened.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-11-12, 02:00 PM
(My very first post. *sniff* My parents would be so proud.)

As fans of OOTS, you should also be doing more than reading the comic. The art, though simplistic, is genius, as is Rich's writing talent. This is not, in any way, kissing up to the lord and master of this particular realm; it's fact. If it were not, then why are we reading his work and then posting thoughts about it?

Now...Good fans have done at least *some* exploration of the site. In the very least, we've gone to the FAQ section. And in the aforementioned section, Rich has talked a bit about his writing style. He won't accept ideas from fans, and he sometimes comes up with an idea the very same day he's going to work on the comic. He has the story mapped. He's admitted as much. It seems, however, that he's not committed to what the script should or shouldn't be.

Hence, I was able to formulate a theory...

The MitD is a mystery to even Rich. Oh, he has an idea, I'm sure. But it's not a lock. Somewhere around his workstation is a list of top 10 things the MitD might be. When the time is right, he will choose exactly what it is. The list may even include 100 things, and he will take the ten that would make it funniest, place them on a dart board, hurl a dart from across the room, and let fate decide what it is. (I imagine some choices would also be on the wall outside the board for when he misses. (No offense to whatever dart-throwing skills you may have, Rich.))

Allow me to cite an example for those not completely following me. A recent script parodied SW. Rich's story plan may read: "Villain gloats over captured paladin. (Think of fun ways to gloat.)" And while awaiting a call from his publisher, agent, supermodels, etc., he decided to sit and watch a SW movie. The little green guy started spewing his pseudo-philosophy on what leads to the dark side and a little light flickered to life in Rich's head.

A comic strip is born.

Rich is going to go with that which is funniest. I have faith in this. Thus, I am satisfied.

Now, with all that said, I'm thinking it's my dad. Not very bright, not very observant, but very well-intentioned. :smalltongue:

Querzis
2006-11-12, 02:35 PM
For example, I personally think it could be a young Gloom.

A Gloom has huge stats, DR 10, 300+ hitpoints, and is generally badass enough to make it credible. The young part explains why it is so naive and willing to follow Xycon rather than stomping him, as well as the lack of some class features. (Fear gaze, although that might also explain why Xycon keeps it in the dark, as a careful read of the description implies if it is in darkness, the fear gaze does not work.)

A Gloom's strength is generally not QUITE high enough to swat Miko like that, but dropping its Int, Wis, and Cha by 20 each (young, remember) and adding some or all of those stats back to its strength EASILY gets enough horsepower to do the job.

Best of all, it's a medium size, monstrous humanoid. No fancy outsider/miniature tarrasque/"darkness changes its size" baloney needed, and the Gloom is even in the SRD!

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/epicNonAbominations.html#gloom

I think you are right, its a Gloom or maybe its a part of the snarl.

Min
2006-11-12, 02:41 PM
Ah, but it doesn't know what it looks like - that's one of the reasons it wants the light. So if it doesn't know it's a Grue, why would it be afraid of the light?

Knowing what you are is not a prerequisite of instinctive behavior. If the MiTD was a Grue, it would not need to know it was one to behave like one.

BardicLasher
2006-11-12, 02:49 PM
The Gloom's actually not a bad thoery. Though a gloom may not have the strength, the fact that he's in darkness would allow sneak attack, which would account for the extra force on his attack on Miko... But a Gloom doesn't seem funny.

Grey Knight
2006-11-12, 06:17 PM
The Gloom's actually not a bad thoery. Though a gloom may not have the strength, the fact that he's in darkness would allow sneak attack, which would account for the extra force on his attack on Miko...

Minor problem: They don't seem to have any discernible eyes (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/EPIC_Gallery/Gallery5a/44167_C5_gloomman.jpg). :confused:

But a Gloom doesn't seem funny.
Indeed. In fact, I'd say that a gloom is more or less the antithesis of funny! :eek:

Kamakazee_Gnome
2006-11-12, 07:00 PM
Perhaps they're *in* the Snarl's prison -- one little plane. As such, it reduces the Snarl to the MitD.

Far-fetched? Sure. Ironic? yes.

My alternate theory is that it's just one tangled thread of reality. Or a "new snarl" made from a minor disagreement (the ninja one?!) in the second creation bit.

aryeh88
2006-11-12, 07:31 PM
Is there any way it could be a doppelganger?

BardicLasher
2006-11-12, 09:08 PM
It COULD be a doppleganger, but it'd have to be a doppleganger with 20+ class levels... And there's no evidence to support that it IS a doppleganger.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-11-12, 09:18 PM
A doppelganger? Hmmm...Let's check in with the characters, shall we?

:mitd: I wanna be a doppelganger.

:xykon: What?

:mitd: A doppelganger. Y'know...changes shape, mimics voices. That kinda thing.

:xykon: I know what it is. What I can't figure out is why you want to be one. I mean, with all your power...

:mitd: Well, if I was a doppelganger, I could leave the darkness in another form. Then, when the time is right, reveal my true self.

:xykon: While that has a decent spark of drama to it, you can't be a doppelganger because you're a -

:redcloak: Sir?

:xykon: What is it now, Redcloak?

:redcloak: Spoiler, sir. We're on a public forum.

:xykon: You know, Red, I've been thinking you'd make a great undead minion.

:redcloak: If that's your way of saying "Thank you for the reminder," sir, then you're quite welcome.

:mitd: Can I *pretend* to be a doppelganger?

:xykon: If it will get us moving toward the gate faster, then you can pretend to be anything you want.

:mitd: What gate?

I think that's a no.

Stormthorn
2006-11-12, 09:33 PM
I think the idea of it being a Caller in Darkness has some merit. The mitd is assumed to be corporeal but it dosnt have to be if it was telekinetic. A Caller in Darkness has psionic powers so its only a small stretch (easy in the OOTS universe) to make him telekinetic. Im not sure how he knocked that paladin chick and her horse through the wall but because we dont see the attack we dont know that he actually touched them to send them flying. If i were a DM and a psionicly mutated Caller in Darkness wanted to knock someone back with one of its concussion blasts (which targets two things when used by a CiD) i would let it. Also, its worth noting that what made this theory seem valid to me in the first place was the fact that a CiD has two targets for its concussion blast (Paladin AND horse).

TinSoldier
2006-11-12, 09:38 PM
A doppelganger? Hmmm...Let's check in with the characters, shall we?

:mitd: I wanna be a doppelganger.

:xykon: What?

:mitd: A doppelganger. Y'know...changes shape, mimics voices. That kinda thing.

:xykon: I know what it is. What I can't figure out is why you want to be one. I mean, with all your power...

:mitd: Well, if I was a doppelganger, I could leave the darkness in another form. Then, when the time is right, reveal my true self.

:xykon: While that has a decent spark of drama to it, you can't be a doppelganger because you're a -

:redcloak: Sir?

:xykon: What is it now, Redcloak?

:redcloak: Spoiler, sir. We're on a public forum.

:xykon: You know, Red, I've been thinking you'd make a great undead minion.

:redcloak: If that's your way of saying "Thank you for the reminder," sir, then you're quite welcome.

:mitd: Can I *pretend* to be a doppelganger?

:xykon: If it will get us moving toward the gate faster, then you can pretend to be anything you want.

:mitd: What gate?

I think that's a no.Yet again, another hilarious pseudo-script for OotS! Wow, you guys are good!

Stormthorn
2006-11-12, 10:07 PM
When i think about how the mitd is supposed to be a secret super-weapon i think "epic". Here a list of some critters that it could be (with helpful notes by yours truly)

A Hunefer
A Sirrush (with the ability to speak, somehow)
A new type of Abomination (perhaps formed from one of the gods the snarl killed or even manifesting as a shadow of the snarl itself)
A Thorciasid (this one actually makes really good sense however I look at it. Maybe it’s just the one I hope the mitd will be.)
A Winterwight
A Worm That Walks (with a pair of glowworms for eyes. It probably wouldn’t be because Worms that Walk have a low strength naturally but i think it would be funny)
A Gloom (also has low odds due to a Glooms lack of visable eyes and any info on it being able to speak. I still say Thorciasid)

foXXtail
2006-11-13, 01:05 AM
It could also be a Pargon/Awakened animal, not a bad choice considering what we know.

At any rate, I just like the idea of it being a bunny. It's that whole Role Playing / Monty Python go hand-in-hand thing.

timbot
2006-11-13, 01:27 AM
So, anyway. I read all the posts about MitD, and re-read all the comics. Comparing everything, I think it is part of the snarl that was cut off when the original adventurers closed the tear, killing Kraagor. As they said, the Snarl was more dangerous to the gods than to the humans. It would be really powerful, but not as powerful as the main body of the snarl, so it wouldn't kill Miko. It makes perfect sense that it was just a docile part of it. (Remember, the snarl couldnt see its prison, or at least the gates, which would be part of the prison!) Remember that Xykon doesn't know what's behind the gates, he just knows it leads to great power. The only part I cannot account for without speculation are its eyes. The snarl had red eyes, but I believe that yellow is just a color which implies less evilness or perhaps less power. The first time you see MitD, its eyes are EXACTLY the same shape as the snarl's. I also think it will be instrumental in killing the snarl to save some character, after joining the good side (After all, he does seem rather nice). Just a thought.

Emperor Demonking
2006-11-13, 01:33 PM
I've decided to have my go at one of these.

:xykon: Let me show you my monster, Pun pun.
:mitd: Er
:vaarsuvius: Not pun-Pun, the most powerful force.
:belkar: I wondered when you'd turn up.
:mitd: I'm not Pun-Pun, I'm Yuk-Yuk I was at a sleep over at pun-Puns house when you kidnapped me.
:belkar: I wondered when u'd turn up.
:mitd: Your the one who killed, my brother father, nephew and grandmother.
:belkar: I'm going for the whole set.

Personally, I think its a peice of the Snarl.

the_tick_rules
2006-11-13, 02:00 PM
I dunno. i forgot about eating. i first thought outsider or undead. eating means hunger and therefore most of the time a con. most undead don't have a con but a few do like to munch on flesh. most outsiders don't eat at all but have con. also, OOTS takes liberties with normal D@D, confusing indeed.

Grey Knight
2006-11-13, 02:35 PM
D@D

I've seen a couple of people making this typo now. What I want to know is: what bizarre keyboard layout are you guys using? :smallconfused:

Maratanos
2006-11-13, 05:13 PM
Couldn't say. Dvorak has the top row capitalized going ~!@#$%^&*(){}, and that's pretty much the only even CLOSE to major alternative to QWERTY...

Penny
2006-11-13, 05:38 PM
I can't see any obvious alternatives in the other major keyboard layouts - French, German, UK... http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards.mspx

Maybe someone just doesn't know what @ means?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-11-13, 06:45 PM
Comrade Gorby: While this discussion of various standard and non-standard keyboard layouts is interesting, it's not really on topic for this thread. Let's get back on topic, eh?

timbot
2006-11-23, 02:15 AM
A few weeks ago, I decided to conduct a thorough search of all posts, comics, and other assorted info about MiTD. What I came up with is posted a few posts above. Since then, I have realized an error in my research. I said that the MiTD could not see it's prison. What I should have said was that it could not UNDERSTAND it's prison (see the whole "plot-revealing" thing with Shojo). It did not see what the gods were doing, so it did not take action against it. It applies almost as well (in a skewed universe kind of way). Also, the snarl IS corporeal, it has claws and is made out of the matter the universe was supposed to be made of, so MiTD could have gotten a papercut if he was part of the snarl.

The Giant
2006-11-23, 07:15 AM
The Voice of Mod: The half-dozen threads about the Monster in the Darkness are encouraging people to crosspost the same thing over and over. Therefore, all threads on this topic are getting closed except for this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26954).

SupraGuy
2006-11-23, 11:22 AM
That's IT!

The MitD is Rich's alter-ego! After all, in the OotS world, Rich is more powerful than all of the Gods combined!

timbot
2006-11-24, 12:07 AM
The Voice of Mod: The half-dozen threads about the Monster in the Darkness are encouraging people to crosspost the same thing over and over. Therefore, all threads on this topic are getting closed except for this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26954).

Aaaah, the irony of it all. He was cross-posting there (you can tell because the "this one" is a hyperlink to this page)! I do hope this post isn't against some rule I overlooked.

That's IT!

The MitD is Rich's alter-ego! After all, in the OotS world, Rich is more powerful than all of the Gods combined!

That is a very good suggestion. It would actually work, if Rich considered himself Chaotic Evil. Of course, he could be Lawful Neutral (see OOTS #343), in which case he could just destroy the Snarl at the end of the series because he has ultimate power. It can't be his ALTER-ego, though, because that would mean he is not chivalrous in real life. However, this whole MiTD thing could also be the solution to Vaarasivus' words: "I (hate/love) your (web)comic."(if MiTD is truly Rich)

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-11-24, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Writer Theater Presents: MitD and the Age of Discovery!

:mitd: Ummm...Mr. Redcloak, sir?

:redcloak: ??? What's with the "Mr." stuff?

:mitd: Well, this is kind of awkward. You see, I've been noticing some changes in myself.

:redcloak: (mutters) Oh, gods, above and below! (shouts) LORD XYKON, YOU BETTER COME IN HERE! QUICK!

:xykon: What? What is it? Something I didn't foresee - as impossible as that is - or another half-wit plot device?

:redcloak: Go on with what you were saying.

:mitd: Well, I was just telling Mr. Redcloak here that I've been noticing some changes.

:xykon: "Mr.?"

:mitd: I find myself fighting the impulse to...

:redcloak: Oh no.

:mitd: ...to...

:xykon: This is going to be bad.

:mitd: ...to *EXPOSE* myself.

:roach: #1 Go for it!

:roach: #2 "Freedom in a flash!"

:redcloak: ...

:xykon: Ummm...OK. Are we talking about a flasher kind of "expose," or something worse? Not that I can imagine worse than that.

:mitd: It's all this fruitless speculation on the forums. It's not just making the forum goers crazy. It's also caused the moderators to get involved by closing down all other threads that try to guess my identity. I feel bad for them.

:xykon: You feel...bad?

:mitd: Kinda.

:redcloak: Oh, you stepped in it now.

:xykon: You *EAT* people like them for breakfast! Chaos! Destruction! Turmoil! Dispair! These things are your middle names! And suddenly you feel BAD for the people reading a forum?!

:mitd: And I've been noticing girls more.

:xykon: *sigh* This is what we get for trying to keep you around for so long. Second-guessing and girls.

:mitd: Can I just tell them before someone starts another fruitless thread on the subject of my identity?

:xykon: And ruin the suspense? No way! You stay in that unnatural darkness until I say when. Now...Are there any OTHER changes you'd like to discuss while we're here?

:mitd: Now that you mention it, is hair growing ON my eyeballs normal?

:roach: #1 Check, please!

:roach: #2 G'nite, folks! We're here all week! Don't forget to tip your wait-staff!

If anyone would like to get me a life, you can send it to... :smallwink:

faerwain
2006-11-24, 05:45 PM
Yeah! *waves-fanboy-flag* OhmygawditsanewissueandIreaditallpersonallyIamneve rgoingtowashtheseeyesagain...

*ahem* Sorry. Not enough sleep. This, Sir, was amusing.

Khantalas
2006-11-24, 06:11 PM
*sends Bor a life*

Well, MitD is a Pygmy Tarrasque. It's so obvious.

Faramir
2006-11-26, 07:28 PM
I'd like to propose a variant on the Snarl theory. We know that Xykon is seeking the Gates to harness their power. Suppose he had time to begin experimenting with Lirian's gate before it burned down, and infused something with some of the power of the Snarl.

This would allow the MitD to be pretty much anything at all (so long as it's something hungry) and still be as powerful as we've seen it being. And it makes sense that Xykon would choose something stupid for this sort of experiment as he wouldn't want competition from the newly powerful creature.

Rainspattered
2006-11-26, 08:15 PM
Just for the irony, I'm gonna say a shadow.
This was actually my first thought, as well. That or any other shadow-formed or invisible creature.

Jade_Tarem
2006-11-27, 02:00 AM
Elan a master of illusions?

Makes scary sense for the rest of it though...

Wordmaker
2006-11-27, 09:06 AM
A gazebo.

It's probably already been said. At least, I sincerely hope it's already been said!

Faramir
2006-11-27, 09:38 AM
It wasn't said explicitly, but rather cleverly by Shiny:

I've no idea what the :mitd: is, but I fired a +3 arrow at it, and it wasn't even wounded.
I'm running away to find someone with an axe, or some fire spells.

Wordmaker
2006-11-27, 09:51 AM
Hehe. I really hope that's what it is.

melekashiro
2006-11-28, 10:57 AM
Well, Giant closed my topic... keep it here...[mitd]
http://melekashiro.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/4/71?xurl=%2Fphotos%2Fphoto%2F4%2F71

~The Patriots~
2006-11-28, 11:57 AM
A white rabbit.

my thoughts exactly

stabbybelkar
2006-11-28, 07:37 PM
Yeah, thatd be cool! They fight in the open and he casts down the umbrella... and a great wyrm red dragon or something pops out.

No way!!! the last time the order took on a black yong adult dragon :haley: got eaten!

keybounce
2006-11-29, 02:06 PM
Personally, I think the Tarresque is too easy to kill. (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Edkb1/dnd/tarrasque.txt)

Wrecan
2006-11-29, 04:00 PM
That's 3.0. Most of tose solutions don't work.

tgva8889
2006-11-29, 05:41 PM
Well, it's probably either Medium or Large, since it's not that much larger than Xykon is, and he's a Medium Undead. It's also not that much larger than Redcloak, who's apparantly also Medium. Goblins are apparantly medium in the world of Order of the Stick.

It also has to be able to things. And it probably has a high enough damage reduction to make Miko's Smite Evils tickle (either that, or it's not evil. Which is actually somewhat likely). Oh, and it's eyes have to glow through the shadow (not really).

I don't have guesses, I'm simply stating that I'm pretty sure it would be hard for it to be telekinetic if it had to hit them twice. My guess is that the shadows cover all it's appendeges (sp).

Deuce
2006-12-01, 11:46 AM
Personally, I think the Tarresque is too easy to kill. (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Edkb1/dnd/tarrasque.txt)

That's 3.0. Most of tose solutions don't work.

Indeed, some were silly to start with, but the real big problems are the Hit dice (The idea of creating Simulacria Tarrasque to fight it now requires a Wiz/Sorc of at least 25th level) and DR, Which is now Epic, so much for Greater Magic Weapon giving you all kinds of Tarresque killing weapons.

You're really left with the tried and true method of overcoming its SR (or lower it, can you do that in 3.5? ) and then beating a +20 Will save.

Sounds like it'd be quite the fight for the Order as they stand now. Of course, if it comes to a throw-down with the MitD, the Order may have every resource they wrangle up on their side - still . . .

Callos_DeTerran
2006-12-01, 04:20 PM
Can't be the tarrasque. Its not sleeping. And it talks. And it hasn't eaten Big X like Big T would have. And its around medium sized.

MReav
2006-12-02, 02:17 PM
I think it's a Pseudonatural... something. Those things have huge-assed strengths, DR/ impressive, and shouldn't be looked at for good reason.

There are two flaws with this theory, though, because Pseudos also get +10 Wis and base 35 Natural AC. While he's not much for Wisdom, it might have rolled really badly for its Wis stats, or else is suffering from Wis Drain.

The +35 AC is harder to explain, since it looked like he got some slashes in from Miko (though he shrugged those off).

While I also think he's got some connection to the Snarl, there's nothing preventing the Snarl from being a Pseudonatural being itself, based purely on SRD stats (i.e.: they don't necessarily have to be Cthulhu type monsters from the dimensions beyond)

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-12-02, 04:11 PM
Wannabe Writer Theater Presents: A Lich As Smart...

We find Xykon, in a tent the size of a throne room, still on the way to Azure City. He seems to be...ummm...dancing.

:xykon: (sings) At the Copa...Copacabana -

:mitd: Lord Xykon?

:xykon: (stops singing and dancing) Oy vey. What now?

:mitd: They're still at it, sir.

:xykon: Who's at what?

:mitd: Those forum people. They're still trying to guess my identity.

:xykon: And this concerns us...how?

:mitd: Well, sir, it worries me. I'm starting to think they all have OCD.

:xykon: OCD?

:mitd: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

:xykon: Still not caring, here.

:mitd: They can't move on with their lives, Lord Xykon. It's like the very mystery of my being is keeping them awake at night, wondering...wondering...wondering.

:xykon: OK, let's put them on hold for a minute. What's bothering *you* specifically?

:mitd: Well, they think I'm something called "The Snarl." Or they think I'm a part of "The Snarl."

:xykon: I see.

:mitd: What's a Snarl?

:xykon: Oh, it's all in the halfling's diary. It's deity-killing creature of pure chaos that will eventually assist me in conquering the world.

:mitd: Whoa! I can kill gods?

:roach: That would be so cool.

:xykon: Of course you can't. Oh, you might wound one, and rather badly, at that. But if you had that much power, I wouldn't need this traveling circus that some people call an army.

:mitd: But -

:xykon: Look, a lich as smart as me does his research. Right?

:mitd: I guess.

:xykon: If there was some way to get a part of The Snarl out from its prison, a lich as smart as me wouldn't need to open any of the gates. Right?

:mitd: What gates?

:xykon: With even a small portion of a deity-killing beast of chaos, a lich as smart as me could rule the world without even giving the gates the smallest thought.

:mitd: Still waiting to hear about these gates.

:xykon: A lich as smart as me also knows that controling The Snarl is going to take a lot of time and energy. You, my boy, merely need a babysitter.

:mitd: Hmmm...OK. I'm gonna go out and tell them I'm John Rhys-Davis or Orlando Bloom.

:xykon: A lich as smart as...Wait. What?

:mitd: Those two guys went three movies without their characters getting so much as a scratch on 'em. Aragorn was beat to hell, but the other two...?

:xykon: Well, that makes about as much sense as you being part of The Snarl.

:mitd: I think I'm gonna go with John. That pretty-boy thing got old real quick.

:xykon: Whatever. Good luck with that.

:mitd: "Asps. Very Dangerous. You go first."

:roach: Dude, that sounded just like him.

:mitd: Thanks. I've been practicing.

I was so tempted to have Xykon do a V immitation during the "a lich as smart as me" segment. Aren't you glad I resisted? :smallbiggrin:

faerwain
2006-12-02, 05:48 PM
:smallbiggrin: Whew, I was already afraid you'd have stopped.

But one question: What are these "lives" you keep talking about?

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2006-12-02, 05:54 PM
Since I was here to promptly respond, I think I can safely say, "I have no idea." :smallwink:

fire_hawk
2006-12-03, 02:28 AM

So, thoughts?

My thought is, if Roy is Soon, then who would be his killed wife? Celia would be the obvious choice, but what about Miko? Wouldn't she fit the role better? And if so, does that mean that Roy will abandon Celia? Hmmm...

MReav
2006-12-03, 02:47 AM
My thought is, if Roy is Soon, then who would be his killed wife? Celia would be the obvious choice, but what about Miko? Wouldn't she fit the role better? And if so, does that mean that Roy will abandon Celia? Hmmm...

Not really. Roy wouldn't be driven to single-minded vengeance over Miko's death. Celia has a much better ability to provoke that reaction.

fire_hawk
2006-12-04, 02:48 AM
Either way, if his predicition is right, one of them will die.

dragoncmd
2006-12-05, 12:17 AM
I would like to point out that he has almost the SAME EYES as Redcloak. Look at the first panel of 371. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0371.html
Never noticed that...

roscoe
2006-12-05, 09:32 AM
furthermore if you look at that same strip further down you see redcloack having a special eyebrow thingy going on and the MiTD is imitating the expression 100%.... Makes me wonder...

Khantalas
2006-12-05, 09:34 AM
So, obviously, MitD is a kobold. Though not Pun-pun. Never Pun-pun.

MReav
2006-12-05, 11:30 AM
So, obviously, MitD is a kobold. Though not Pun-pun. Never Pun-pun.

Never again.

Gret
2006-12-23, 04:01 PM
If the MitD was somethng non scary like a rabbit why would Xycon say that he should be scary. Same goes for kobolds. also... MitD. M, Monster. A clue maybe? Also the mitd can see the gates, refer to strip 96 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0096.html)
One other thing: when Mico was fighting him she did not actually say 'Smite evil'. I have a theory that she may be losing her paladinish powers because...
Anyway here's my feeble attempt at an OOTS... fan parody? semi-strip? whatever the official name is.
:mitd:: I'm coming out of these shadows now.
:redcloak:: Master, the :mitd: is leaving the shadows
:xykon:: don't worry :redcloak:, this is a web forum and they don't have the right smiley to show what he is even if he does leave the shadows.
An aprentice wizard: now to try out my new spell. Transmute strip to giberish.
The monster comes out of the shadows. It is the AFKADLAFKL!!! akj uila kehklf cuiw q ahnwuiqhlqjkd uihq dlaj.
akljhfeioq. ff jioaehf fidoa jio
afljfdnva iwfnbhienfi a hjifeh

The_Old_Fox
2006-12-24, 04:50 AM
Listen, the :mitd: is actually a part of all of us

He is the part that embraces/hates the dark
He is the little bit of you that enjoys dwarf pornography
He is the inner strength that allows you to knock paladins and their mounts around
He is the voice that says “Gate? What gate?”

Look inside, and see that the :mitd: is within you

I Think :mitd: is a metaphor
or some big powerful monster, whatever

Setra
2006-12-24, 06:05 AM
He's an 18th level Goblin, Duskblade 8/Dragon Disciple 10.

Jukashi
2006-12-24, 08:35 AM
If the umbrella were magical- a sort of "Umbrella of Holding", which is possible as Xykon is such a powerful character and must have lots of magical doohickeys around- then the MitD could really be any size.

Personally, I would like it if it were a dragon of some sort.

Gret
2006-12-24, 09:11 AM
That theory would work better if he had been using the umbrella for the whole strip. But at the begginning he didn't have it.

danielf
2006-12-24, 09:13 AM
i think MitD is the smarter Thog twin
:thog: vs :mitd:

Alex Kidd
2006-12-24, 09:16 AM
Maybe he's like Snarl 2.0, created during the making of the second world, except instead of being made from murderous hatred and and massive deific feuds like the first, he's created from petulance, godly annoyance and eventual if grudging compromise resulting from stuff like the ninjas thing, it explains his childishness relative benevolence and weakness compared to Snarl 1.0, while still being phenomonally strong. It also explains him being smaller rather than nearly world sized, the gods were actively avoiding snarls that time, but maybe a small one slipped through.

And because he's of the same ilk as Snarl 1.0 the illusions or whatever hiding the prison from Snarl 1.0 work on him too.

Stormthorn
2006-12-24, 02:31 PM
That is a good one.

Copacetic
2006-12-26, 04:22 AM
I think it is the *TINY* part of the snarl that is not murderously hateful and since it is a *TINY* piece of the snoarl it would not be as powerful.

Setra
2006-12-26, 06:09 AM
I don't think it has anything to do wih the Snarl, it's too predictable.

Even if it is, I doubt it will go like it did in the original adventure.

Felyndaer
2006-12-26, 06:53 AM
It is the ghost of Girard Draketooth!

Well.. probably not. Likely something normally innocent with a spooky template..
Oh man, a Fiendish Flumph!

Copacetic
2006-12-27, 03:25 PM
Umm..A mutant demon roach!:roach:

Khantalas
2006-12-27, 03:31 PM
NEWSFLASH: It was revealed by reliable sources that MitD is actually a Living Hadoken spell, Dejah, an Uryuom and a Dust Bunny mixed together. Much hilarity ensued in the press conference.

PaladinFreak
2006-12-27, 09:55 PM
We already know it is hidiously strong, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0374.html

We also know that it is afraid of the dark, it's spot checks stink, and that it can eat almost anything.

Quite frankly, I have no idea what that makes it

GSFB
2006-12-28, 01:01 AM
I'm going with Death Slaad.

Or... an almost Death Slaad... you know, still undergoing the transformation, and still not evil yet.

:xykon: is keeping :mitd: under shadow until the transformation is complete.

Beelzebub1111
2006-12-28, 01:16 AM
It's a peice of the scrawl. Something comprised of the essence of chaos and disorder can't exactly be the most menevolent creature in the multiverse.

Mayo_the_Thurmaturge
2006-12-29, 05:14 PM
Penguinlion.

Tornek the Unhygenic
2006-12-29, 05:28 PM
You're all gonna think i'm crazy, but i think :mitd: is a small gelatinous cube.
Think, it can't be hurt easily, it eats anything, and a lot of adventurers fear it.
It would have to be smart though, so thats a possible downside to my theory.
Even if it isn't a Gel. Cube, i would still like to see one in the comic.

Alex Kidd
2006-12-30, 02:48 AM
It made a filler apearance.

Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/fanart/ootsfill1.gif)

Amon Star
2006-12-30, 08:06 AM
It's a future version of :thog:! Think about it. Epic :thog: would have high strength and damage reduction. Also, as he's a bit older he could also be a bit smarter. And the maturity matches, as current :thog: is child-like, but the :mitd: acts like an adolescent.

Alternatively, it's a sentient Adamantite Golem.

GSFB
2007-01-06, 02:25 AM
Is it just me, or does :mitd: have the same eyes as :redcloak:?

Oh, and I'm sticking with a slaad who has almost completed the evolution to death slaad stage.

Or else... CTHULU!

Setra
2007-01-06, 03:21 AM
The whole eyes thing doesn't really seem to mean much to me..

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html Everyone has the same eyes here... The yellow colour could simply mean he is a monster, like Redcloak.

What truly makes me curious is this.. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0023.html
His eyes look kind of creepy there... maybe because I'm used to him being so childlike.

Amon Star
2007-01-08, 09:25 AM
This has probably been said before, but I think the :mitd: is :vaarsuvius:'s sexuality. Both mysterious, both powerful.

Setra
2007-01-17, 09:16 PM
I was re-reading the comic, and I came up with an odd thought.

What if the MitD can't see the Gate, because he merely failed a Will Save of some sort?

Dorukan warded his Gate with many Sigils. What if one sort of Sigil made it so the gate is invisible, unless you make a Will Save.

The MitD is not shown to have a high Int. or Wis. Whichever will saves are based after. This could effect what he may or may not be.

Ps. I'd rather bring this 'not too old' thread back, than start a new one.

Mawhrin Skel
2007-01-17, 10:33 PM
Has it been suggested that even :xykon: may not truly know what :mitd: is? Is it possible that he attempted to summon/create something horrifically evil, goofed, and got something cute and fuzzy?

I don't recall any evidence of :mitd: being evil. He shows concern for hobgoblin well being too:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0190.html

Oh wait, I've got it... it's epic :thog: having travelled back in time! :tongue:

Avarial's Bow
2007-01-18, 03:27 AM
Well, the :mitd: has to be something horrific that has the personality of a little kid. I mean, it can hardly be a bunny when it's strong enough to hurl Miko (yay!) at least 6 miles in a direction. It's also supposed to be incredibly scary, but isn't. But I don't think we'll ever find out what it is (which sucks.) In fact, I don't even think the Giant knows what it is.

Calenestel
2007-01-18, 05:24 AM
Definetly (spelling, anyone?) NOT the Snarl. At least not because the MitD can't see the gate. Because he CAN see the gate! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0096.html
He's just not smart enough to know what he sees.

So there... been bugging mee for oh so many posts (read it all to make sure noone had said it)

Aure Entuluva!
Calenestel

Cleverdan22
2007-01-18, 08:25 AM
I think that the creature will never be revealed.

(But, Miko's been hit by it. She knows what its arm looks like.)

Shade000
2007-01-18, 08:40 AM
I think the MITD could be Elan's and Nale's father. Think about it, he is evil but stupid, we dont realy know how smart Elan's father is. plus it would be a nice plot twist.

r23r5
2007-01-18, 07:53 PM
it would be funny if it was one of these two: the owlbear, or a small cat

Mawhrin Skel
2007-01-18, 08:56 PM
I mean, it can hardly be a bunny when it's strong enough to hurl Miko (yay!)(boo!)
at least 6 miles in a direction.
It's not unheard of for an apparently small and weak creature to be exceedingly powerful.

Wait, I have it... it's Bun Bun!

OK, I apologise, that was terrible...

Wallyz
2007-01-18, 09:52 PM
(boo!)
It's not unheard of for an apparently small and weak creature to be exceedingly powerful.

Wait, I have it... it's Bun Bun!

OK, I apologise, that was terrible...

Bwah ha! NO! It's an AYLEE CLONE!

0wca
2007-01-18, 10:01 PM
I think it's a really badass strong creature, with the personality of a playful kitten. :smallbiggrin: Because since it acts that way, and because Xykon knows its something brootal, so then it probably is.:smallcool:

Haruki-kun
2007-01-19, 12:19 AM
It's NOT something weak. I'm pretty sure Miko and Windstriker have realized that by now........

.............what is it..............?

Option 1: It's the real Xykon and the other one is just a fake!!!!! (nah, doesn't fit)

Option 2: Some aged Warrior who has all the abilities of the OOTS members combined!!!!! (too clichéd.....)

Option 3:............
CELINE DION!!!!!!!!
(Perfect.............)

Setra
2007-01-19, 12:21 AM
It cannot be Celine Dion, Xykon may be evil, but I don't think he'd keep something around with the power to make his ear sockets gush blood.

Zanaril
2007-01-19, 02:46 PM
I recon it's a character we allready have heard about, (but havn't met yet, or has been killed or dissapeared) and I also think we migh find out when Xykon's army get to Azure city.

GSFB
2007-01-23, 01:08 AM
It's a godling. Imagine Thor at (in human years) age 6.

If you've read David Eddings, think Errand. If you haven't read David Eddings, WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU?!?!?!

Amon Star
2007-01-23, 02:20 PM
Definetly (spelling, anyone?) NOT the Snarl. At least not because the MitD can't see the gate. Because he CAN see the gate! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0096.html
He's just not smart enough to know what he sees.

So there... been bugging mee for oh so many posts (read it all to make sure noone had said it)

Aure Entuluva!
Calenestel

The Snarl CAN see it's prison, it just can't understand it. The :mitd: can see The Gate, (:mitd: "Huh?") but doesn't comprehend it, as you just stated. Therefore, The Snarl theory is still valid.

P.S. Definately.

It cannot be Celine Dion, Xykon may be evil, but I don't think he'd keep something around with the power to make his ear sockets gush blood.

He doesn't have ears, or blood, anymore.

Calenestel
2007-01-24, 11:36 AM
Amon Star: It’s still not entirely satisfactory. But that’s more of a gut feeling. I have to agree with you that it MIGHT work, though. Hrrmph... :smallmad:

Hehe...

Aure Entuluva!
Calenestel

Squark
2007-01-24, 07:33 PM
:xykon: 's perpetually young little brother. Squark just thinks it would just the giant's style to make it something that anticlimatic.

Not a Paladin
2007-01-24, 09:54 PM
I seriously think that :mitd: is:

Two Lantern Archons that have been hit with a Geas to act like one single evil, yet childish, being, a Magic Mouth that has been set up through a house rule to follow the Lantern Archons around and say whatever they will it to, and several dozen Hands of the Mage, each of which carries a +5 club.

Okay, maybe that's a bit far-fetched.

Setra
2007-01-24, 10:34 PM
He doesn't have ears, or blood, anymore.
First off I said Ear Sockets, not ears.

Second off, it doesn't matter, she's Celine Dion.

vbushido
2007-01-24, 11:48 PM
I seriously think that :mitd: is:

Two Lantern Archons that have been hit with a Geas to act like one single evil, yet childish, being, a Magic Mouth that has been set up through a house rule to follow the Lantern Archons around and say whatever they will it to, and several dozen Hands of the Mage, each of which carries a +5 club.

Okay, maybe that's a bit far-fetched.

That's insane; that's wierd; that's Brilliant! *starts scribbling out rough draft for home campaign.

-----
The average woman would rather have beauty than brains because the average man can see better than he can think

Amon Star
2007-01-25, 06:46 AM
First off I said Ear Sockets, not ears.

True. Sorry.

Second off, it doesn't matter, she's Celine Dion.

Also true.

fbandersnitch
2007-05-16, 03:35 PM
I'm gonna resurrect this thread on a whim to add my reasoned guess as to what the MitD is. I hope I have enough gp and spell components.

1 The umbrella is the same since day 1. A clue to the character? Well the symbol is a paunchy yellow, paler that the gobbos. And we know it likes the darkness.

2 Monster versus light creatures. Perhaps it's trying to feel tough by provoking them, but then they leave.

3. Extremely tough and supposedly nasty (at the same time put down by Xykon) .

4 I'm at about the same age/ place that Rich's coming from.

I believe it's a

....Grue (highlight over for spoiler)

(See Wikipedia for the World of Zork if you need the explanation)

Twilight Jack
2007-05-16, 03:43 PM
I'm gonna resurrect this thread on a whim to add my reasoned guess as to what the MitD is. I hope I have enough gp and spell components.

1 The umbrella is the same since day 1. A clue to the character? Well the symbol is a paunchy yellow, paler that the gobbos. And we know it likes the darkness.

2 Monster versus light creatures. Perhaps it's trying to feel tough by provoking them, but then they leave.

3. Extremely tough and supposedly nasty (at the same time put down by Xykon) .

4 I'm at about the same age/ place that Rich's coming from.

I believe it's a

That's actually a quirkily brilliant theory. It would after all explain the thing's seeming invincibility, since the Grue never even gives you a chance. It just eats you. It also explains its tendency to eat anything.

Studoku
2007-05-16, 03:49 PM
I think the MiTD is a chaotic evil flumph, seeking to overthrow its good bretheren.

What? It could happen:smallconfused:

totalnerduk
2007-05-16, 03:52 PM
Is it just me, or does :mitd: have the same eyes as :redcloak:?

Oh, and I'm sticking with a slaad who has almost completed the evolution to death slaad stage.

Or else... CTHULU!

Thought that said "death salad" for a moment. I'm goiong with "death salad".

Basalock
2007-05-16, 04:09 PM
It is a young Chuck Norris... FEAR HIM :smallfurious:

www.chucknorrisfacts.com

Geilan
2007-05-16, 04:17 PM
A brain-damaged polymorphed Tarrasque

FrostXian
2007-05-16, 04:20 PM

It likes the darkness? It's been trying to get to the light since it's very first apperance, it was actually cheering up while they were leaving the cave, thinking he'll get under the light.
Mitd even said that it's scared of the dark.

Twilight Jack
2007-05-16, 04:25 PM
It likes the darkness? It's been trying to get to the light since it's very first apperance, it was actually cheering up while they were leaving the cave, thinking he'll get under the light.
Mitd even said that it's scared of the dark.

True, but if it's a grue, that's actually funny. I mean, think about it: a grue that's afraid of the dark, yet still has never seen the light of day?

Guts
2007-05-16, 04:40 PM
hi my first post here. i think it is Celine Dion. If Nale of all people thought her her voice was too torturesome on a recording, then how powerful her voice must be up close in person:smallsmile:

Totally Guy
2007-05-16, 04:49 PM
OMG! Yes it's a prank. Yes it's not funny. I'm really really sorry but honestly it's the MITD thread. I was saving this for a new thread but seeing this one again will do.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/mitd.png

FrostXian
2007-05-16, 04:50 PM
Please tell me that is fake, it.. it makes me feel so uneasy. :smalleek:
I'll never look at it the same way.

Totally Guy
2007-05-16, 04:53 PM
Yes it's a fake. I have hidden white text at the top.

FrostXian
2007-05-16, 04:57 PM
Yes it's a fake. I have hidden white text at the top.

Well it succeeded in reminding me not to expect anything cute out of the shadows. That shadowy figure was creepier than whatever full fledged could come out of the shades, the cute, funny, not so evil, silly floating eyeballs may have something very, very sinister behind.. *dun dun dunn*

Geilan
2007-05-16, 05:06 PM
Awesomest. Fake. Ever.

I could tell it was off since the eyes were messed up in the second one/

Firestar27
2007-05-16, 09:01 PM
Touche Thexare. Touche
For the last time Mike, I'm not touching you!

hehe... Unforgotten Realms.

On Topic: I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet on this thread, but I saw someone say it somewhere on the boards. The Mitd is the End of the Comic. That is the scariest thing to the readers. And to the OOTS because without the comic they don't exist.

Icewalker
2007-05-16, 09:15 PM
I'm sure it has been mentioned at least once so far, but I didn't see any in the first two pages or the eighth page, so I thought I'd mention it:

to all those saying it'll be something which is actually harmless...Strip 374, MitD vs. Miko... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0374.html)

Snipers_Promise
2007-05-16, 10:06 PM
It's a gelatinous cube....... :smallcool:

the_tick_rules
2007-05-16, 10:10 PM
i have no idea anymore.

FirstAdam
2007-05-17, 01:45 AM
I think it would be great if the CitD turns out to be a giant Ice Cream creature, like the dancing concessions in #301. Then Thog turns out to be the real menace, and only his "little ice cream friends prevent his boredom driven rampage" CitD is a Hero! (and tasty).

PS. Sorry, it's almost 3am here.

FrostXian
2007-05-17, 02:40 AM
It's a gelatinous cube....... :smallcool:

Can a gelatinous cube gently tap you 6 miles away, causing you to break trough a wall?
Can it do the same to a horse?

Grasilich
2007-05-17, 02:46 AM
It's Elan... FROM THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawnis
2007-05-17, 02:53 AM
I think it could be a void anomily or void fiend. Whatever it is can hit very hard even when it doesn't try to;as Miko found out.

VagueZ
2007-05-17, 04:57 AM
I think the MitD is going to prove evil (kid's meal, anyone?), but it's still going to be cute once the darkness is removed.

We do know that the MitD smacked a paladin and her warhorse for a loop... that reaks of Awesome Blow to me. Cue a frantic search through the Monster Manual for something that could at least potentially swap out a feat or two to get Awesome Blow, be adorable to readers, and there's just not too many things.

- A troll with high class levels, preferably in barbarian... either that or Miko mistook regeneration for damage reduction. Pros: Matches strength, would seem to fit under the umbrella, could be strong enough for Awesome Blow. Cons: Not cute.

- A golem of some kind, though this is in stark contrast with MitD's eating habits and apparent ability for independent thought. On the other hand, a malfuctioning Marut who'd been sent to stop Xykon and then forgot would have been an awesome idea.

- An balor/pit fiend/other high-level fiend would almost work, but I'd expect more outright evil from them. Same issue with fiendish/half fiend, although those templates DO handily give damager reduction... versus magic. I think Miko's probably got at least +1 weapons.

- An Awakened Dire Something. This one holds a fair bit of water--a little bad luck and you've got low wis and/or int to explain why the MitD can't ever seem to figure out the gate.

- Earth Elemental of some stripe. Matches the strength, but an elemental doesn't need to eat and I don't think are known for talking.

- Awakened Advanced Half-fiend Rust Monster: any PC's worst nightmare come to life: the rust monster is BIG, it's tougher, and it's smart. Okay, not serious for MitD, though.

- A giant of some description. Size is not an issue; see below.

- A Titan: ferocious powerful melee attacks and a lot more abilities make Titans an epic threat, but not exactly a dumb customer.

- Nightwalker: Extremely powerful blows, could be advanced far enough to make an epic threat, could still be cute when parasol is removed. Downside: incredibly good mental stats

Now, I realize that many of these are larger than the MitD seems to be, but I think that this is part of the reason we don't see the actual blow on Miko and her horse: he supresses a 'reduce [creature type]' version of Reduce Person, and hits them. This is also how he could use Awesome Blow against a Large horse: the MitD is actually Huge, reduced to Large, and not standing up straight.

My money is on a Feebleminded Nightwalker/Titan or the aforementioned Snarl avatar, but Snarl is not in the Monster Manual. Probably have to wait and see.

Kkreuzritter
2007-05-17, 06:02 AM
Let's go down what we do know, just for recap

1. Medium to large-ish size category, barring any dimensional properties of the Uod (umbrella of darkness)

2. It eats. Wether it needs to or it just likes the feeling is yet undetermined, but it can eat typicly inedible substances without ill effects

3. Can totally no-sell Miko's standard attack. Given Miko's track-record as a hypocritical killamajig, this is no mean feat

4. It's restrained blow can knock a celestial mount into the next county

4b. Given it hit Windstriker so soon after Miko, we could presume it has the cleave feat or something similar, depending on adherence to the rules.

5. If nothing else, Xykon is a pretty good judge of what can be construed as 'totally awesome', so under those shadows, :mitd: is pretty impressive

6. Xykon's words suggest part of the awesome may be the recognition factor, meaning it could be from one of the 3.5 books that came out before/around its' introduction

7. redcloak is still alive despite close proximity, so we can preclude it's not something with a gaze attack (always helps to determine what it's not)

8. low WIS score. very low WIS. possibly negligible spot/sense motive

9. sentient. Xykon's hordes tend towads "fresh from the box" (barring undead templates), so that might rule out any custom details to bring up or lay low it's INT

10. Start of Darkness is going to rule out a number of popular theories

11. probably falls under the purview of the WoTC SRD

12. point of order: the Giant has introduced homebrew features to the setting, such as the Dashing Swordsman PrC (if anyone has evidence otherwise, feel free to correct)

Woof
2007-05-17, 06:25 AM
Bah. Don't you go messing with the fluffy bunny theories!! It wouldn't be a normal bunny, of course. It could be the avatar of some arcane bunny deity, giving it 25 Str and a vorpal bite attack.

I really hope it's not a shadow or a slaad, I can't see that working out with its childlike personality.

Wildrose
2007-05-17, 07:00 AM

Well, he could cast it on V and end the speculation threads once and for all....:smallwink:

Xerxos
2007-05-17, 07:08 AM
I'm going with child-"Snarl/Tarrasque/Nightwalker/Titan/..."

Perhaps the son of the Snarl? A teenage Tarrasque? A nine-year-old Nightwalker? A teen ... wait, probably not that one. :smallwink:

Anyway, I could see :mitd: as a younger version of some badass monster (hey, even monsters have a childhood). That way he could have great the strength of that monster without the high wis/int stats of the adult version.

Woof
2007-05-17, 07:30 AM

Perhaps the son of the Snarl? A teenage Tarrasque? A nine-year-old Nightwalker? A teen ... wait, probably not that one. :smallwink:

Anyway, I could see :mitd: as a younger version of some badass monster (hey, even monsters have a childhood). That way he could have great the strength of that monster without the high wis/int stats of the adult version.

In that case, it would be entirely sufficient if it was just a teenager, without the added tarrasque. Everyone knows teenagers are scary enough.

Roupe
2007-05-17, 08:29 AM
grue wikipedia quote with bolding

Grues make an appearance in the Dungeons and Dragons RPG, appearing as a species of intelligent, evil elementals from the Inner Planes, presented as an alternative to the usual neutral, nonsentient summonable elementals of D&D. Aside from a reference to their being "born in places of darkness" on the Inner Planes and a general sense of shapeless menace, they have very little to do with their Infocom namesakes, despite having been introduced soon after the first Zork games and presumably having been inspired by them.
MiTD clearly isnt Intelligent, and Miko didnt regard it as Evil
otherwise a Grue would have been fun

Amon Star
2007-05-17, 08:45 AM
I would just like to add some more wood to this fire by making this point. Slaads are not in the SRD. Whether that is relevant or not, I don't know.

RobbyPants
2007-05-17, 08:54 AM
According to this (http://worddrow.wordpress.com/2006/04/12/the-order-of-the-stick-2nd-edition/), it's everything! :smalltongue:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/Darkys_Quest/Custom%20Cards/Shadow.jpg

Jieze
2007-05-17, 09:01 AM

I can't believe I googled "Arunningag"! :smallredface:

Alex Kidd
2007-05-17, 09:05 AM
I'm still kicking around my pet theory that it's a second Snarl resulting from the universe's recreation, it's weaker and nicer because the arguments between the gods were smaller and less bitter than those in the making of the first universe.

Fascisticide
2007-05-17, 09:16 AM
A Humber Hulk
It has to stay hidden or the lawyers would take it away.

GoC
2007-05-18, 11:26 PM

Why not?
Several of them have high str and DR. :smalltongue:

Geilan
2007-05-18, 11:32 PM
Polymorphed Mentally-disabled Tarrasque!

GSFB
2007-05-22, 12:10 AM
Actually, I think there might be something to the Tarrasque idea...

The Tarrasque is known to suddenly appear, rampage and destroy, then disappear again--sometimes for centuries. Where does it go when not devouring civilizations? You'd think something the size of the Astrodome would be easy to track down, but in between rampages, the Tarrasque disappears so well it becomes a thing of myth and legend--eldars talk about it, but young people don't believe it really ever existed.

Thus, if there IS a Tarrasque, then when it goes into "hibernation" or whatever you call it, it might change form into something innocuous, something that intrepid would-be Tarrasque-slayers cannot easily find...

Perhaps the :mitd: is the tarrasque in its "not currently eating Tokyo" state. :xykon: has implied that it is not yet time for :mitd: to be revealed. Perhaps :xykon: knows how to unleash the Tarrasque, and knows that it takes a certain amount of time. He must keep :mitd: under wraps until it is time for Tarrasque-summoning, because in its diminished state it can be hurt, perhaps killed or at least kept suppressed for a longer period of time.

Hmmm... intriguing...

johhny-turbo
2007-05-22, 12:41 AM
He'll appear as a monster with a semi-generic look that could be any of several monsters which will prompt huge threads that will proceed to scrutinize every pixel of the comic.

factotum
2007-05-22, 01:10 AM
Perhaps the :mitd: is the tarrasque in its "not currently eating Tokyo" state. :xykon: has implied that it is not yet time for :mitd: to be revealed. Perhaps :xykon: knows how to unleash the Tarrasque, and knows that it takes a certain amount of time. He must keep :mitd: under wraps until it is time for Tarrasque-summoning, because in its diminished state it can be hurt, perhaps killed or at least kept suppressed for a longer period of time.

Wouldn't the Tarrasque simply destroy Xykon as well as anyone else near it when it "went off"?

Lilivati
2007-05-22, 02:39 AM
I think it's entirely possible that the giant doesn't know what is in the darkness, and will not know until it becomes plot-critical that something actually be there.

Woof
2007-05-22, 04:34 AM
I think it's entirely possible that the giant doesn't know what is in the darkness, and will not know until it becomes plot-critical that something actually be there.

Hmm, don't know about that. A character in a story can evolve over time, of course, but I think you need to have some basic ideas about its personality and a bunch of other facts, otherwise I think it would be extremely difficult to write about that character and make it seem consistent over time.

Ogenki
2007-05-22, 05:59 AM
Its something a epic lich thought was badass and when revealed would scare PCs even more than a level 18+ lich sorceror would. Didn't turn out that way personality wise, but obviously its powerful enough to slap Miko around without even trying.