PDA

View Full Version : Revised Monkey Grip [3.P Feat]

Milo v3
2013-01-29, 12:03 AM
One of my players wanted to take Monkey grip, I've convinced him it is bad choice be he asked for me to modify it to usable levels.

So here is my modified Monkey Grip:

Monkey Grip [Combat]
Using your immense strength, you are able to use large weapons with ease.
Prerequistes: Strength 15
Benefit: For the purpose of wielding weapons, you may count as one size larger.
Special: This feat doesn't stack with any other method of wielding weapons of other sizes, such as Powerful Build.

Improved Monkey Grip [Combat]
Using your amazing strength, you are able to use larger weapons with ease.
Prerequistes: Monkey Grip, Strength 25
Benefit: For the purpose of wielding weapons, you may count as one or two size larger. When wielding an oversized weapon, you may treat it as a reach weapon when it would be beneficial.
Special: This feat doesn't stack with any other method of wielding weapons of other sizes, such as Powerful Build.

Epic Monkey Grip [Combat][Epic]
Using your epic strength, you are able to use weapons far greater in size than you with ease.
Prerequistes: Improved Monkey Grip, Strength 30
Benefit: All methods of wielding weapons of other sizes, such as Powerful Build stack with the Improved Monkey Grip Feat.

toapat
2013-01-29, 12:07 AM
it needs the ability to wield 2handed weapons as onehanded to make up for it's weakness, It is certainly better though that it allows you to dual. wield with it though.

Milo v3
2013-01-29, 12:17 AM
it needs the ability to wield 2handed weapons as onehanded to make up for it's weakness, It is certainly better though that it allows you to dual. wield with it though.

It already does. A medium character with this feat would be able to wield a greatsword in as one-handed. :smallconfused:

Zman
2013-01-29, 08:23 AM
I dislike it's ability to stack with Powerful Build, that is going to lead to ridiculousness. Goliath with Monkey Grip and Imprived Monkey Grip wields a huge Greatsword in each hand, or a Gargantuan Greatsword with no penalty, or a Collossal Bastard Sword Two Handed with a -2 Penalty. Wielding a Weapon meant for a 64'+ Creature that normally weights more than 125tons makes no sense to me.

Pretty sure as written it will lead to some major abuse.

CinuzIta
2013-01-29, 09:09 AM
i agree with zman: I would, at least, remove the powerful build part.

If you really want to make your characters be able to wield weapons as a creature three times larger you could create a third, epic or difficult to take, feat for this purpose.

These is what I'd do, at least..

Amechra
2013-01-29, 10:17 AM
What, no ability to use oversized weapons as Reach weapons?

I'm saddened by this oversight!

toapat
2013-01-29, 11:24 AM
It already does. A medium character with this feat would be able to wield a greatsword in as one-handed. :smallconfused:

Sword-size transparency is different from being able to dualwield halberds

Milo v3
2013-01-29, 03:43 PM
I dislike it's ability to stack with Powerful Build, that is going to lead to ridiculousness. Goliath with Monkey Grip and Imprived Monkey Grip wields a huge Greatsword in each hand, or a Gargantuan Greatsword with no penalty, or a Collossal Bastard Sword Two Handed with a -2 Penalty. Wielding a Weapon meant for a 64'+ Creature that normally weights more than 125tons makes no sense to me.

Pretty sure as written it will lead to some major abuse.
I guess. I've changed that line to say the opposite of what it orginally stated.

What, no ability to use oversized weapons as Reach weapons?

I'm saddened by this oversight!
I was orginally thinking that would be it's own feat, but thought it would be overpowered.

Sword-size transparency is different from being able to dualwield halberds
Yes. Except count as one size larger allows you to dual-wield halberds.

Amechra
2013-01-29, 04:23 PM
It wouldn't be too overpowered; check out the last Combat Technique in the second post for some idea of mechanics (kinda stolen from the Strongarm Warrior PrC.)

Link (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7688#p18158)

Milo v3
2013-01-29, 05:47 PM
It wouldn't be too overpowered; check out the last Combat Technique in the second post for some idea of mechanics (kinda stolen from the Strongarm Warrior PrC.)

Link (http://forum.faxcelestis.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7688#p18158)

Annoying my school laptop blocks that site. :smallsigh:

Durazno
2013-01-29, 06:04 PM
So both improved and epic give us one or two. Does that mean that a medium character with all three feats would be treated as five size categories larger and thus be able to wield a colossal greatsword in one hand? (I guess we might not treat the scale as going over colossal, but it would be hilarious.)

Amechra
2013-01-29, 06:08 PM
Least: You are treated as if you were one size larger for the purposes of which weapons you are able to wield.

Lesser: Any weapon that's at least one size larger than you may be wielded as a Reach weapon, at your option; if that weapon already was a reach weapon, your reach is increased by 5'. This level of Mastery is applied twice to any weapon two sizes larger than you.

Greater: Your penalty for wielding a weapon up to two sizes larger than you is reduced by 2; in addition, you may treat a Two-Handed Weapon as if it were a One-Handed Weapon whenever it would be advantageous, such as when determining whether you can dual-wield weapons or when determining whether or not you can actually wield the weapon in the first place (note that a Two-Handed weapon two sizes larger than you would still be Two-Handed, since a One-Handed weapon one size larger than you counts as a Two-Handed weapon.)

True: When you chose to wield an oversized weapon as a Reach weapon, you may threaten and attack adjacent creatures as normal; you may not do this when wielding an oversized weapon that normally has Reach. In addition, you add twice your strength modifier in damage instead of the normal amount whenever you wield an oversized weapon.

Milo v3
2013-01-29, 06:26 PM
So both improved and epic give us one or two. Does that mean that a medium character with all three feats would be treated as five size categories larger and thus be able to wield a colossal greatsword in one hand? (I guess we might not treat the scale as going over colossal, but it would be hilarious.)
Epic only makes it stack. I should have made that more obvious. But if you want to wield colossal weapons you can do what my player wanted to do =
Powerful Build + Colossus Fighting Tradition + Monkey Grip Feats = Colossal Greatsword in two-hands or Gargantuan Greatsword in one hand. Though it requires powerful build, epic levels, and my fighter fix.

Least: You are treated as if you were one size larger for the purposes of which weapons you are able to wield.

Lesser: Any weapon that's at least one size larger than you may be wielded as a Reach weapon, at your option; if that weapon already was a reach weapon, your reach is increased by 5'. This level of Mastery is applied twice to any weapon two sizes larger than you.

Greater: Your penalty for wielding a weapon up to two sizes larger than you is reduced by 2; in addition, you may treat a Two-Handed Weapon as if it were a One-Handed Weapon whenever it would be advantageous, such as when determining whether you can dual-wield weapons or when determining whether or not you can actually wield the weapon in the first place (note that a Two-Handed weapon two sizes larger than you would still be Two-Handed, since a One-Handed weapon one size larger than you counts as a Two-Handed weapon.)

True: When you chose to wield an oversized weapon as a Reach weapon, you may threaten and attack adjacent creatures as normal; you may not do this when wielding an oversized weapon that normally has Reach. In addition, you add twice your strength modifier in damage instead of the normal amount whenever you wield an oversized weapon.
Interesting.