PDA

View Full Version : Legions revamp!

Brett Nortje
2013-01-31, 02:14 PM
I have been working on a game for about fifteen years now, and feel it is coming together. i have an original combat and skill system too!

Take a look at it now: legions and other games, please go to the games page to see the games! (http://gamesofbttnortje.yolasite.com/)

Brett Nortje
2013-02-11, 04:42 AM
Brand new rules added! yes! borrow from here or there, but hey... who's watching? :smalleek:

legions 3.11 (http://gamesofbttnortje.yolasite.com/resources/REVAMP%200.311.pdf)

Brett Nortje
2013-02-11, 11:08 AM
Okay, it is good enough now to be tested. i have completed all the odds and ends you need to play, essentially. please comment!

legions 3.13 (http://gamesofbttnortje.yolasite.com/resources/Legions%20revamped%203.13.pdf)

Amechra
2013-02-11, 11:58 AM
Well, first of all:

Acid ball mentions that "anyone caught in it" take damage; however, it doesn't say anything about an area. I'm assuming that this is one of those things "left to GM discretion"?

Also, the same goes for other effects specified as areas; you might want to drop some kinda dimensions for that as a guideline (even just "about a yard" would be enough; it's a good thing for narrative stuff.)

For the Lia Zeal ability, does it add to what they roll (which is a penalty in your system) or does it add to what they are rolling against (which is beneficial in your system.)

Also, for their Wink ability, why not just have it change Social rolls to Charisma+Intuition+Wink, instead of making people roll under then subtract? It would speed things up at the game table, for one thing.

Most of the other racial or path abilities are so vague I can't even comment on them.

When you are writing a system, you need to keep an eye out for people who are completely new to this "role-playing thing", and so you need to give a general idea of what kind of penalties are appropriate for blinking a lot or slippery grass (Gentle Morning Mist), and what raining does.

Because, here's what will end up happening otherwise: you will end up with a GM handing out ad lib penalties randomly at first (random in the sense that they will make up a random number for the penalty, not "oh, I've decided you are taking a penalty just because") because, well, most new GMs don't know the math of dice very well.

Let me give you an example; say a GM decides that, in his game, rain gives you a +5 to your attack rolls (which is bad, since you want to roll under your... you don't have a term for DCs, that I can see, which is annoying when talking about your game); on a d20, that is crippling. That is easy enough to see.

But the thing is, a +3 can be crippling as well, even though it isn't as high; your chance of succeeding is lower by 15%, after all.

Also, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but have you had someone proofread your game? Several of the sentences aren't actually sentences.

Actually, that begs another question; is this a game that has had no input but yourself? In other words, have you run the "can other people figure out what this ability does mechanically" test?

Brett Nortje
2013-02-11, 12:44 PM
Well, first of all:

Acid ball mentions that "anyone caught in it" take damage; however, it doesn't say anything about an area. I'm assuming that this is one of those things "left to GM discretion"?

Also, the same goes for other effects specified as areas; you might want to drop some kinda dimensions for that as a guideline (even just "about a yard" would be enough; it's a good thing for narrative stuff.)

For the Lia Zeal ability, does it add to what they roll (which is a penalty in your system) or does it add to what they are rolling against (which is beneficial in your system.)

Also, for their Wink ability, why not just have it change Social rolls to Charisma+Intuition+Wink, instead of making people roll under then subtract? It would speed things up at the game table, for one thing.

Most of the other racial or path abilities are so vague I can't even comment on them.

When you are writing a system, you need to keep an eye out for people who are completely new to this "role-playing thing", and so you need to give a general idea of what kind of penalties are appropriate for blinking a lot or slippery grass (Gentle Morning Mist), and what raining does.

Because, here's what will end up happening otherwise: you will end up with a GM handing out ad lib penalties randomly at first (random in the sense that they will make up a random number for the penalty, not "oh, I've decided you are taking a penalty just because") because, well, most new GMs don't know the math of dice very well.

Let me give you an example; say a GM decides that, in his game, rain gives you a +5 to your attack rolls (which is bad, since you want to roll under your... you don't have a term for DCs, that I can see, which is annoying when talking about your game); on a d20, that is crippling. That is easy enough to see.

But the thing is, a +3 can be crippling as well, even though it isn't as high; your chance of succeeding is lower by 15%, after all.

Also, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but have you had someone proofread your game? Several of the sentences aren't actually sentences.

Actually, that begs another question; is this a game that has had no input but yourself? In other words, have you run the "can other people figure out what this ability does mechanically" test?

well, hell, it is still a work in progress. i need input like the input you gave me to make it better. of course finding players for it would be even better...

thanks for your time. :smallfrown: