PDA

View Full Version : Zman's Duskblade Fix(3.5)

Zman
2013-02-02, 03:07 PM
This is part of a larger project aimed at bringing all of the base classes into balance, ie Tiers 1.5-4. See my Homebrew Signature for Details. This is also part of a larger work which addresses some general changes to character creation and play.

Summary of ChangesThe Duskbalde will gain some versatility, a larger hit die, and the ability to expand its spell list in a limited capacity. Channeling now affects ranged attacks, so channeled throwing and archery is now possible.

Duskblade
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2]|Arcane Attunement, Armored Mage|3|2|—|—|—|—

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Combat Casting|4|3|—|—|—|—

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Arcane Channeling|5|4|—|—|—|—

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Armored Mage(Heavy Armor), Advanced Learning|6|5|—|—|—|—

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Quick Cast 1/day|6|5|2|—|—|—

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Spell Power +2, Arcane Channeling (Charge)|7|6|3|—|—|—

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Armored Mage(Heavy Shield)|7|6|4|—|—|—

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Advanced Learning|8|7|5|—|—|—

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Quick Cast 2/day|8|7|5|2|—|—

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Spell Power +3|9|8|6|3|—|—

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Arcane Channeling(Full Attack)|9|8|6|4|—|—

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Advanced Learning|10|9|7|5|—|—

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Quick Cast 3/day|10|9|7|5|2|—

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Spell Power +4|10|10|8|6|3|—

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9||10|10|8|6|4|—

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Advanced Learning|10|10|9|7|5|—

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Quick Cast 4/day|10|10|9|7|5|2

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11]|Spell Power +5|10|10|10|8|6|3

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11||10|10|10|8|6|4

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Advanced Learning|10|10|10|9|7|5

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills:
Climb(Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script(Int), Knowledge(All) (Int), Listen(Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft(Int), Spot(Wis) and Swim(Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) Χ 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Duskblades are proficient with all Simple and martial weapons, as well as all armors and shields (except tower shields).

Spells: You cast arcane spells, which are drawn from the duskblade spell list on page 98. You can cast any spell you know without preparing it ahead of time.

To learn or cast a spell, you must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level (Int 10 for 0-level spells, Int 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your spell is 10 + the spell level + your Int modifier.

You can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day.

Your base daily spell allotment is given on Table 1–3. In addition, you receive bonus spells per day if you have a high Intelligence score (see Table 1–1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8 of the Player’s Handbook).

Spells Known: You begin play knowing two 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells, chosen from the duskblade spell list. You also know one additional 0-level spell for each point of Intelligence bonus.

Each time you gain a new class level, you learn one additional spell of any level you can cast, chosen from the duskblade spell list.

Upon reaching 5th level, and at every subsequent odd-numbered level, you can choose to learn a new spell in place of one you already know. In effect, you lose access to the old spell in exchange for gaining the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level spell you can cast. For instance, upon reaching 9th level, you could trade in a single 1st-level spell (two levels below the highest-level spell you can cast, which is 3rd) for a different 1st-level spell. You can swap only a single spell at any given level and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that you gain new spells known for the level.

You need not prepare spells in advance. You can cast any spell you know at any time, assuming you have not yet used up your spells per day for that spell level.

Arcane Attunement (Sp): You add dancing lights, detect magic, flare, ghost sound, and read magic to your list of spells known.

Armored Mage (Ex): Normally, armor of any type interferes with an arcane spellcaster’s gestures, which can cause spells to fail if those spells have a somatic component. A duskblade’s limited focus and specialized training, however, allows you to avoid arcane spell failure so long as you stick to light armor, medium armor, and light shields. This training does not extend to heavy armor, nor to heavy shields. This ability does not apply to spells gained from a different spellcasting class.

At 4th level, you learn to use heavy armor with no chance of arcane spell failure.

At 7th level, you learn to use a heavy shield with no chance of arcane spell failure.

Combat Casting: At 2nd level, you gain Combat Casting as a bonus feat.

Arcane Channeling (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee or rangedattack. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less. If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved.

At 6th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a charge action, and the spell affects the first target you hit in melee combat that round. Doing so discharges the spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than 1 round.

At 11th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee or ranged combat that round. Doing so discharges the spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than 1 round.

Advanced Learning: At 4rd and every four levels thereafter(8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level), a Duskblade can add a new spell to his list, representing the result of personal study and experimentation, with a few restrictions. The spell must be a wizard spell and for the purposes of selecting this spell the Duskblade counts as a Wizard of 1/2 his level for determining what level of spell the Duskblade can choose. For instance, an 11th level Duskblade counts as a 5th level Wizard and can choose a 3rd level spell from any school to learn as part of his Advanced Learning.

Quick Cast: Beginning at 5th level, you can cast one spell each day as a swift action, so long as the casting time of the spell is 1 standard action or less.

You can use this ability twice per day at 9th level, three times per day at 13th level, and four times per day at 17th level.

Spell Power (Ex): Starting at 6th level, you can more easily overcome the spell resistance of any opponent you successfully injure with a melee attack. If you have injured an opponent with a melee attack, you gain a +2 bonus on your caster level check to overcome spell resistance for the remainder of the encounter. This bonus increases to +3 at 10th level, to +4 at 16th level, and to +5 at 18th level.

ACF's

Zman
2013-02-02, 03:08 PM
Change Log:

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-02, 03:15 PM
The improved Will save makes sense, and the missing skills being added back to the list is nice, but... a lot of the changes-- improved hit die, heavier armor, channeling on a charge-- are kind of unnecessary. The Duskblade is already extremely capable in combat; what he needs is versatility. The extra Advanced Learnings are nice for that, I suppose.

I'd roll back some of the physical buffs, and look at maybe adding a few more spells to the basic list.

NeoSeraphi
2013-02-02, 04:27 PM
The improved Will save makes sense, and the missing skills being added back to the list is nice, but... a lot of the changes-- improved hit die, heavier armor, channeling on a charge-- are kind of unnecessary. The Duskblade is already extremely capable in combat; what he needs is versatility. The extra Advanced Learnings are nice for that, I suppose.

I'd roll back some of the physical buffs, and look at maybe adding a few more spells to the basic list.

What do you mean? The duskblade is already a great and entertaining tier 4, and he's just made it as survivable as a barbarian. Adding a little bit of versatility is nice but he doesn't need to improve it any further than this tg reach his stated goal.

I like these changes, though you made the same mistake that Wizards did (your duskblade doesn't have proficiency with simple weapons for some reason).

If you wanted to mix things up a bit, I might suggest taking a look at the Pathfinder Magus's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) Arcane Pool ability. It allows for the gish to use his magical abilities to enhance his power in ways other than by casting spells.

lunar2
2013-02-02, 04:48 PM
1. make heavy armor available at level 1. why should he have to wait until level 7 just to wear the armor he wants?

2. change advanced learning to simply be a wizard spell that he can cast. it's simpler, and the result is more or less the same.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-02, 04:48 PM
What I meant was that the Duskblade is already a quite powerful combatant. If he lacks anything-- and he's "officially" rated at T3, though I would argue that he doesn't crack T4-- it's variety. He doesn't need further power upgrades as much as he needs a bit more variety.

Zman
2013-02-02, 04:54 PM

The main reasoning for the increased combat prowess, especially defense is due to how I have handled my Minor Magic Fix. Essentially casting a spell deals nonlethal or vitality damage to the caster equal to the spell level. I thought that this warranted some increased defenses, ie heavier armor and the extra HP.

Channeling on the charge just makes sense and should have been included stock.

What do you mean? The duskblade is already a great and entertaining tier 4, and he's just made it as survivable as a barbarian. Adding a little bit of versatility is nice but he doesn't need to improve it any further than this tg reach his stated goal.

I like these changes, though you made the same mistake that Wizards did (your duskblade doesn't have proficiency with simple weapons for some reason).

If you wanted to mix things up a bit, I might suggest taking a look at the Pathfinder Magus's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) Arcane Pool ability. It allows for the gish to use his magical abilities to enhance his power in ways other than by casting spells.

Added Simple Weapon Proficiency. Thanks. Though, I'm pretty sure Wizards not having simple weapons was intentional, it was a complete Wizard's oversight with the Duskblade.

Actually, the Duskblade is usually considered to be Tier 3, albeit a low Tier 3. This is and my changes to the Magic system are the main reasons for my stated changes. Add some Versatility accomplished through increased Skill Point, Expanded Skill List, and Advanced Learning. I also cleaned up the class, evened out some abilities, filled some holes and dead levels, added Channeled Charge which just made sense.

These changes should increase versatility and if used outside of my Minor magic fix, power, but only to a reasonable degree. If my Minor Magic Fix is used Power should be relatively balanced. The Duskblade was already in the sweet spot I'm looking to bring all classes towards, this just meant to clean it up and bring it in line with my other fixes.

1. make heavy armor available at level 1. why should he have to wait until level 7 just to wear the armor he wants?

2. change advanced learning to simply be a wizard spell that he can cast. it's simpler, and the result is more or less the same.

Advanced Learning is in line with my other line of fixes, and represents the Duskblade can't access spells a readily as a dedicated full caster.

Its lvl 4 for Heavy Armor. Stock the Duskblade made you wait until lvl 4 for medium armor and lvl 7 for heavy shields. I already increased the ability of a Duskblade to access better armors.

What I meant was that the Duskblade is already a quite powerful combatant. If he lacks anything-- and he's "officially" rated at T3, though I would argue that he doesn't crack T4-- it's variety. He doesn't need further power upgrades as much as he needs a bit more variety.

You ninjaed me, I already stated this is aimed at being used with my Minor Magic Fix and will represent an increase in power when used outside of that. Though, I don't think the power increase will end up being to a game breaking degree.

lunar2
2013-02-02, 05:09 PM
yeah, my mistake on the armor. it should still be level 1, though. armored mage should be all at once, not spread out over levels.

ngilop
2013-02-02, 05:40 PM
You know, there is just not much I cna say about really any of Zman's fixes that is not positive.

I really enjoy his fixes and mostly the simplicity of them.

The d10 HD though worries me.

I don't really see the duskblade as a durable front line fighter. id still keep the HD at a D8. but that is just myself

I am wondering now, how Zman is going to work on the hexblade or even if he is at all.

Zman
2013-02-02, 05:59 PM
You know, there is just not much I cna say about really any of Zman's fixes that is not positive.

I really enjoy his fixes and mostly the simplicity of them.

The d10 HD though worries me.

I don't really see the duskblade as a durable front line fighter. id still keep the HD at a D8. but that is just myself

I am wondering now, how Zman is going to work on the hexblade or even if he is at all.

Thank you for the compliments. As to the Hexblade... I haven't done much with them but my gut feeling would be Good Fort Save, Curse is a Move Action, usable at Will, only can affect one target at a time, cannot affect someone who successfully resists. Damage against Cursed Target is roll twice, take the better result. Allow Fighter Bonus Feats to be selected for the Bonus Feats. I'd consider something like Battle Blessing(Standard as Swift Spellcasting), and possibly a version of my Advanced Learning(4th and every 4 after). Around mid levels I'd add Persistent Curse, Creature must reroll a successful save against the Hexblade's Curse. That's my initial feel, don't know what it would actually end up as.
Edit: Oh, and of course 4+ Int Skills and a better list.

I was worried about the D10 Hit Die as well, but when he has to take spell level in non lethal damage every time he channels, I felt it was necessary. And even if my Magic Fix isn't used, its still not that imbalancing.

At Lunar2, I made it a mid level ability to stop the player from simply taking battle caster then as the Duskblade was already proficient in Heavy Armor.

ngilop
2013-02-04, 09:56 PM
I might be totally overlooking that, but where in this class fix does it say he takes non-lethal damage for channel?

Zman
2013-02-04, 10:53 PM
I might be totally overlooking that, but where in this class fix does it say he takes non-lethal damage for channel?

I don't have it in this fix, it's part of my Minor Magic fix. I left it out as the class is still playable without bringing my external fixes into it.

Just making a point that it is what I had in mind when I upped his defenses.