PDA

View Full Version : Heroes of the Wild Lands (d20 class system)

Yora
2013-02-04, 09:50 AM
I have no idea if I am ever going to use it, or if anyone else might be interested in it, but I just had the urge to try out what comes out if I would take the best things I like from various d20 games and retro-clones and put them together into one single system.
Monsters from other d20 system should be almost completely compatible, except for a quick conversion of AC and Skill modifiers.

The first step is to compile a list of ideas I want to include:

Modified E6: I love E6, it's a very simple, quick and dirty, yet elegant solution to cap power creep in d20 games. But if you are really going to rebuild classes, I think just adding more feats every 5,000 XP isn't that great a solution.
Epic Level Rules: Instead I want to use the D&D 3rd Ed. Epic Level rules, but apply them at 11th level instead of 21st. That mostly means static advancement in BAB and saving throws regardless of class and access to more feats.
AD&D Hit Dice: As in E6, characters only gain a maximum of 6 HD, but as in AD&D, they still gain a flat hp bonus based on class every level once they have reached the maximum number of HD.
Skills: Inspired by an early D&D 5th Ed. version, characters simply select a couple of skills in which they get a +3 bonus. Skills can be improved with the Skill Focus feat or added with the Extra Skill feat.
Nonweapon Proficency Slots: Characters automatically gain additional trained skills similar to NWP in AD&D.
PF Skill List: Except for Fly.
Feats: Every 2 levels instead of every 3.
Skill Mastery: When thieves make a skill check with a trained skill, any number on the dice lower than a 10 is considered a 10.
Expanded Psionic Handbook Spellcasting: I think the XPH is flat out the best magic system in any RPG. Spellcasters gain Spell Points and Spells Known just like Psions.
PF Fighter Bravery: A minor thing, but a nice touch.
Armor as DR: Dexterity and Shields determine how often you get hit, armor determines how much it will hurt.
Defense Bonus: All characters get a dodge bonus to AC based on class and level.
Allegiance: Replacing Alignment
Action Point: F*** yeah!
Ritual Magic: Like Incantations or Epic Spells, but actually good.

Which results in this:

{table=head]Lvl.|XP|HD|BAB|Defense|Feats|Ability Score Increase|Action Points/day
1st|0|1|by class|by class|1st|-|1
2nd|1,000|2|by class|by class|-|-|-
3rd|3,000|3|by class|by class|2nd|-|2
4th|6,000|4|by class|by class|-|+1 to two scores|-
5th|10,000|5|by class|by class|3rd|-|-
6th|15,000|6|by class|by class|-|-|3
7th|21,000|6+x|by class|by class|4th|-|-
8th|28,000|6+x|by class|by class|-|+1 to two scores|-
9th|36,000|6+x|by class|by class|5th|-|4
10th|45,000|6+x|by class|by class|-|-|-
+1|+current level*1,000|6+x|+1/2|+1/2|every second level|every fourth level|every third level[/table]

This as the starting point. The goal is to get more Sword & Sorcery-y, with characters being more in line of what human bodies can actually accomplish. If anyone sees any obvious flaws or potential pitfalls, this would be the time to mention them. :smallwink:
Next up will be the classes, for which I have planned Warrior, Berserker, Hunter, Thief, Mage, and Priest.

Yora
2013-02-04, 11:35 AM
The Warrior

The warrior is the basic combat class. Warriors make up the majority of troops in any tribes or kingdoms

{table=head]Lvl.|HD|BAB|Dodge||Fort|Ref|Will||Skills|Special
1st|1d10|+1|+0||+2|+0|+0||4/+1|Bonus Feat
2nd|2d10|+2|+1||+3|+0|+0||-|Bonus Feat
3rd|3d10|+3|+2||+3|+1|+1||-|-
4th|4d10|+4|+3||+4|+1|+1||+1|Bonus Feat
5th|5d10|+5|+3||+4|+1|+1||-|-
6th|6d10|+6/+1|+4||+5|+2|+2||-|Bonus Feat
7th|6d10+3|+7/+2|+5||+5|+2|+2||-|-
8th|6d10+6|+8/+3|+6||+6|+2|+2||+1|Bonus Feat
9th|6d10+9|+9/+4|+6||+6|+3|+3||-|-
10th|6d10+12|+10/+5|+7||+7|+3|+3||-|Bonus Feat[/table]

Skills: Warriors start with 4 trained skills and gain one additional trained skill at 4th and 8th level. (Multiclass characters that add a 1st level of warrior only get 1 additional trained skill.)
Weapons and Armor Proficiencies: Warriors are proficient with simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields.

Bonus Feat: Any combat feat at 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th level.

Yora
2013-02-04, 11:56 AM
The Berserker

Berserkers are warriors who focus on brute strength and endurance over skill. Their combat style is not as refined, but they compensate for it with impressive feats of strength.

1st|1d12|+1|+0||+2|+2|+0||4/+1|Fast Movement, Rage
2nd|2d12|+2|+1||+3|+3|+0||-|Bravery +2, Uncanny Dodge
3rd|3d12|+3|+2||+3|+3|+1||-|DR 1/-
4th|4d12|+4|+3||+4|+4|+1||+1|-
5th|5d12|+5|+3||+4|+4|+1||-|Improved Uncanny Dodge
6th|6d12|+6/+1|+4||+5|+5|+2||-|Bravery +3, DR 2/-
7th|6d12+3|+7/+2|+5||+5|+5|+2||-|-
8th|6d12+6|+8/+3|+6||+6|+6|+2||+1|-
9th|6d12+9|+9/+4|+6||+6|+6|+3||-|DR 3/-
10th|6d12+12|+10/+5|+7||+7|+7|+3||-|Bravery +4[/table]

Skills: Berserkers start with 4 trained skills and gain one additional trained skill at 4th and 8th level. (Multiclass characters that add a 1st level of berserker only get 1 additional trained skill.)
Proficiencies: Berserkers are proficient simple and martial weapons and with light armor and shields.
Fast Movement: A berserkers land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the berserkers speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
Rage: Berserkers of 1st level can enter a rage for 4 rounds plus their Con Modifier per day and 2 additional round for every additional class level. Raging berserkers get a +4 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution, a -2 penalty to AC, and can't use any skills that requite concentration.
Bravery: Berserker get a +2 bonus to saves against Fear at 2nd level which increases by +1 at 6th and 10th level.
Uncanny Dodge: Berserkers of 2nd level are never flat-footed. At 5th level a berserker can no longer be flanked. This ability does not protect against a thieves backstab attack if the character is unaware of the thieves presence.
Damage Reduction: Berserkers gain DR 1/- at 3rd level, which increased by 1 point at 6th and 9th level. This stacks with the DR from wearing armor.

Yora
2013-02-04, 12:11 PM
The Hunter

Hunters are warriors who are skilled trackers and masters of wilderness survival and stealth.

1st|1d8|+1|+0||+2|+2|+0||6/+1|1st Favored Terrain, Track
2nd|2d8|+2|+1||+3|+3|+0||-|-
3rd|3d8|+3|+2||+3|+3|+1||-|Endurance
4th|4d8|+4|+3||+4|+4|+1||+1|Woodland Stride
5th|5d8|+5|+3||+4|+4|+1||-|2nd Favored Terrain
6th|6d8|+6/+1|+4||+5|+5|+2||-|Swift Tracker
7th|6d8+2|+7/+2|+5||+5|+5|+2||-|-
8th|6d8+4|+8/+3|+6||+6|+6|+2||+1|-
9th|6d8+6|+9/+4|+6||+6|+6|+3||-|-
10th|6d8+8|+10/+5|+7||+7|+7|+3||-|3rd Favored Terrain[/table]

Skills: Hunters start with 6 trained skills and gain one additional trained skill at 4th and 8th level. (Multiclass characters that add a 1st level of hunter only get 1 additional trained skill.)
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Hunters are proficient simple and martial weapons and with light armor and shields.

Favored Terrain: At 1st level hunters chose one type of terrain in which he specializes. While in wild environments on the favored terrain, the hunter gets a +2 circumstance bonus to Initiative rolls and Perception, Stealth, and Survival checks. At 5th and 10th level a hunter can select an additional favored terrain and can also increase the bonus to any favored terrain by +2.
Track: A hunter gets Endurance as a bonus feat at 1st level.
Endurance: A hunter gets Endurance as a bonus feat at 3rd level.
Woodland Stride: At 4th level a hunter may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.
Swift Tracker: At 6th level a hunter can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. He takes only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Yora
2013-02-04, 12:25 PM
The Thief

Thiefs are masters of stealth and deception and often skilled in opening locks and disabling traps.

1st|1d6|+0|+0||+0|+2|+0||8/+1|Backstab +1d6, Skill Mastery
2nd|2d6|+1|+1||+0|+3|+0||-|-
3rd|3d6|+2|+1||+1|+3|+1||+1|Backstab +2d6
4th|4d6|+3|+2||+1|+4|+1||-|Uncanny Dodge, Skill Mastery
5th|5d6|+3|+2||+1|+4|+1||-|-
6th|6d6|+4|+3||+2|+5|+2||+1|Backstab +3d6
7th|6d6+2|+5|+3||+2|+5|+2||-|Skill Mastery
8th|6d6+4|+6/+1|+4||+2|+6|+2||-|Improved Uncanny Dodge
9th|6d6+6|+6/+1|+4||+3|+6|+3||+1|Backstab +4d6
10th|6d6+8|+7/+2|+5||+3|+7|+3||-|-[/table]

Skills: Thieves start with 8 trained skills and gain one additional trained skill at 3rd, 6th, and 9th level. (Multiclass characters that add a 1st level of thief only get 1 additional trained skill.)
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Thieves are proficient simple weapons and light armor.

Backstab: Thieves at their backstab bonus to damage rolls against oponents who are denied their Dexterity Bonus to AC or are unaware of the thieves presence.
Skill Mastery: At 1st level a thief selects four of his trained skills. Any dice roll to make skill checks with these skills is considered to be a 10 before applying any modifiers, if the result is a 9 or lower. At 4th and 7th level, the thief can select another skill he is trained in.
Uncanny Dodge: Thieves of 4th level are never flat-footed. At 8th level a thieves can no longer be flanked. This ability does not protect against a thieves backstab attack if the character is unaware of the thieves presence.

Yora
2013-02-04, 12:39 PM
The Priest

{table=head]Lvl.|HD|BAB|Dodge||Fort|Ref|Will||Skills|SP|Spells |Max. Spell Lvl.|Special
1st|1d6|+0|+0||+0|+0|+2||4/+1|2|3|1st|Bonus Feat
2nd|2d6|+1|+1||+0|+0|+3||-|6|5|1st|-
3rd|3d6|+2|+1||+1|+1|+3||+1|11|7|2nd|-
4th|4d6|+3|+2||+1|+1|+4||-|17|9|2nd|-
5th|5d6|+3|+2||+1|+1|+4||-|25|11|3rd|Bonus Feat
6th|6d6|+4|+3||+2|+2|+5||+1|35|13|3rd|-
7th|6d6+1|+5|+3||+2|+2|+5||-|46|15|4th|-
8th|6d6+2|+6/+1|+4||+2|+2|+6||-|58|17|4th|-
9th|6d6+3|+6/+1|+4||+3|+3|+6||+1|72|19|5th|-
10th|6d6+4|+7/+2|+5||+3|+3|+7||-|88|21|5th|Bonus Feat[/table]

Skills: Priests start with 4 trained skills and gain one additional trained skill at 3rd, 6th, and 9th level. (Multiclass characters that add a 1st level of priest only get 1 additional trained skill.)
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Priest are proficient simple weapons and light armor and shields.

Bonus Feat: At 1st, 5th, and 10th level priests gain a bonus feat. This feat can be Extra Spell, Magic Talent, or any metamagic feat.

Yora
2013-02-04, 12:42 PM
The Mage

{table=head]Lvl.|HD|BAB|Dodge||Fort|Ref|Will||Skills|SP|Spells |Max. Spell Lvl.|Special
1st|1d4|+0|+0||+0|+0|+2||4/+1|2|3|1st|Bonus Feat
2nd|2d4|+1|+0||+0|+0|+3||-|6|5|1st|-
3rd|3d4|+1|+1||+1|+1|+3||+1|11|7|2nd|-
4th|4d4|+2|+1||+1|+1|+4||-|17|9|2nd|-
5th|5d4|+2|+1||+1|+1|+4||-|25|11|3rd|Bonus Feat
6th|6d4|+3|+2||+2|+2|+5||+1|35|13|3rd|-
7th|6d4+1|+3|+2||+2|+2|+5||-|46|15|4th|-
8th|6d4+2|+4|+2||+2|+2|+6||-|58|17|4th|-
9th|6d4+3|+4|+3||+3|+3|+6||+1|72|19|5th|-
10th|6d4+4|+5|+3||+3|+3|+7||-|88|21|5th|Bonus Feat[/table]

Skills: Mages start with 4 trained skills and gain one additional trained skill at 3rd, 6th, and 9th level. (Multiclass characters that add a 1st level of mage only get 1 additional trained skill.)
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Mages are proficient simple weapons.

Bonus Feat: At 1st, 5th, and 10th level mages gain a bonus feat. This feat can be Extra Spell, Magic Talent, or any metamagic feat.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-02-04, 03:59 PM
I see dead levels, dead levels, and more dead levels. With only 10 levels, I'd try to remove any and all dead levels. When I look at these classes, I actually get bored: I feel like the non-casters don't really get anything fun (although Skill Mastery is nice).

Additionally, many of the classes (any that aren't a caster) seem likely to be very underpowered. Sneak Attack, bonus feats, and especially Favored Terrain bonuses can't really compete with 5th level spells. The Hunter in particular looks like a pale shadow of a functional class.

My recommendation would be to fill those 10 levels with some distinctive and fun abilities: a smaller level range actually gives a good incentive to have a small number of decently powerful, evocative abilities that make the levels actually feel like milestones. I'd play that up.

Garryl
2013-02-04, 05:32 PM
I'm intrigued by the premise, but the actual implementation feels lacking. I have to echo most of what Djinn_in_Tonic said. The Thief and Hunter classes, in particular, feel like what you'd get from an NPC class.

In particular about the Thief, I feel that it lacks that "thiefy" feel, in addition to lacking power. Backstab is roughly the same as the CA Ninja's Sudden Strike (in that the only differences are slower scaling and the lack of common precision damage rules shared with Sneak Attack that I assume were omitted for brevity). It's notoriously difficult to catch opponents without their Dex bonus without things like invisibility and magic, and is almost impossible against foes with Uncanny Dodge (like Thieves and Berserkers). Feinting helps, but requires a feat do without eating half your turns, will still only be successful ~70% of the time under the new skill rules, and is incompatible with the multiple attacks you need to get any significant benefit out of Backstab bonus damage. Skill Mastery is a great ability (averages out to only a +2.25 bonus, but utterly eliminating the low rolls is HUGE), but as a first level ability it's great to take as a dip but gives no incentive to take further Thief levels. In fact, dipping other classes gives you more skills than going straight Thief, if that's what you're after, as Thief levels give +1 skill/2 levels, but dipping new classes gives +1 skill/level, and possibly some bonus skills. Finally, given that this system uses class-based AC bonuses to represent dodginess, I am supremely saddened that the Thief, iconic dodgy character class, gets the worst progression.

Hunters... They just don't have anything going for them. A couple of near-useless bonus feats and some very limited skill and initiative bonuses. There's just nothing there. Also, the text of Track incorrectly grants Endurance as a bonus feat.

Yora
2013-02-05, 07:31 AM
I noticed that with only 4 levels, using Epic BAB and saving throw progression makes virtually no difference, so I changed that to hypothetical advancement beyond 10th level.

I also made bravery exclusive to berserkers.

The general design approach is more early 3rd Edition than late 3.5e. Each class should have one or two primary special features, but no mostly useless clutter to fill up the special colum. Cramming too much unneccessary stuff into all classes was one of the main mistakes of 3.5e and Pathfinder. However, the primary special features need to be actually really good, which for the hunter as of now is not the case.

Good thing pointing out the problem with Uncanny Dodge, that does indeed not work together with old school backstabbing. I updated that so it does not negate backstab if the character is unaware of the thief sneaking up.

And a 1 level dip in thief was something I had also been thinking of. I changed it so that it applies only to 4 trained skills and another trained skill at 4th and 7th level each. Still a very nice dip, but warriors and berserker would lose a level for BAB, Defense, and Fortitude saves, and mages and priest would lose a level of spellcasting, making it a more even trade. For hunters, it would still be very good.

Another major issue: Should I use the Pathfinder CMB system?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-02-05, 12:13 PM
The general design approach is more early 3rd Edition than late 3.5e. Each class should have one or two primary special features, but no mostly useless clutter to fill up the special colum. Cramming too much unneccessary stuff into all classes was one of the main mistakes of 3.5e and Pathfinder. However, the primary special features need to be actually really good, which for the hunter as of now is not the case.

The issue is that the 1-2 ability, no alternative feature framework works great for a non-level based system. Over 10-20 levels, however, it creates excessive dead levels.

Look at it this way: every time a caster picks up a spell, he or she gains a new ability. The new spell does something different, or the same thing in a new way.
You gain 21 spells over 20 levels.

The hunter and berserker, on the other hand, don't ave good abilities and, even worse, gain no real advancement from level 6 onward. Hell, the barbarian's key feature has a very small round/day limitation and the ranger is terrain-locked, while the Wizard is hugely versatile and gets more effective features (and more abilities at later levels) than both combined. He gets 4th and 5th level spells while they get +1 minor class feature.

Aiming for 3.0 design styles is fine...or would be, if 3.0 design were actually good, fun, or balanced. As you have this written, I would actually feel gyped if I were playing anything BUT a caster. Especially if I expected the campaign to reach 6+.

Yora
2013-02-05, 01:47 PM
That is well and good for your games and probably many other people, but that's already something I explicitly want to avoid. The hunt for new tricks is something for tactical combat games, but I think something that is detrimental to roleplaying games. It worked out for all Editions of D&D before 3.5e, which all still have many fans that play them to this day, as well as retro-clones and many other d20 games. Dragon Age RPG has only the equivalent of Skills and Feats and virtually no class features at all and Mouse Guard (and I assume Burning Wheel in General) even less. 3.5e and Pathfinder are in fact the only RPGs I'm familiar with, that put this emphasis on new toys all the time.
But I explicitly don't want that. That's the entire point behind this whole idea.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-02-05, 01:57 PM
Fair enough. I will leave others to comment and critique then, as I am opposed to the fundamental idea behind the system.

Yora
2013-02-05, 06:37 PM
Skills

The Skills are taken from the Pathfinder SRD.

{table=head]Skill|Brk|Hnt|Mag|Pst|Thf|War|Untrained|Armor Penalty|Ability
Acrobatics|C|-|-|-|C|-|Yes|Yes|Dex
Bluff|-|-|-|-|C|-|Yes||Cha
Climb|C|C|-|-|C|C|Yes|Yes|Str
Craft|C|C|C|C|C|C|Yes||Int
Diplomacy|-|-|-|C|C|-|Yes|| Cha
Disable Device|-|-|-|-|C|-|No|Yes|Dex
Disguise|-|-|-|-|C|-|Yes||Cha
Escape Artist|-|-|-|-|C|-|Yes|Yes|Dex
Handle Animal|C|C|-|-|-|C|No||Cha
Heal|-|C|C|C|-|-|Yes||Wis
Intimidate|C|C|C|-|C|C|Yes||Cha
Knowledge (Arcana)|-|-|C|C|-|-|No||Int
Knowledge (Geography)|-|C|-|-|-|-|No||Int
Knowledge (History)|-|-|-|C|-|-|No||Int
Knowledge (Local)|-|-|-|C|C|C|No||Int
Knowledge (Nature)|C|C|C|C|-|-|No||Int
Knowledge (Religion)|-|-|-|C|-|-|No||Int
Knowledge (The Planes)|-|-|C|C|-|-|No||Int
Linguistics|-|C|-|-|C|-|No||Int
Perception|C|C|-|-|C|-|Yes||Wis
Perform|-|-|-|-|C|-|Yes||Cha
Profession|-|C|C|C|C|C|No|| Wis
Ride|C|C|-|-|-|C|Yes|Yes|Dex
Sense Motive|-|-|-|C|C|-|Yes||Wis
Sleight of Hand|-|-|-|-|C|-|No|Yes|Dex
Spellcraft|-|-|C|C|-|-|No||Int
Stealth|-|C|-|-|C|-|Yes|Yes|Dex
Survival|C|C|-|-|-|C|Yes||Wis
Swim|C|C|-|-|C|C|Yes|Yes|Str
Use Magic Device|-|-|C|-|C|-|No||Cha[/table]

At character creation and level up, the Skill Slots you get from your class have to be used to train Class Skills for the class. The Skill Training feat and the human bonus skill can be used to train any skill.
Skill training provides a +3 bonus to skill checks. Characters at 3rd level can double-train a skill for a +6 bonus, tripple train for a +9 bonus on 6th level, and quadruple train for a +12 bonus at 9th level.

Concentration works as in Pathfinder, being 1d20 + caster level + ability modifier.

I am currently working on feats, trying to cut down the number while still offering a wide variety of choices.

Zman
2013-02-05, 08:08 PM
I like the idea of your first post, but unfortunately am not a fan of your implementation. With only ten levels classes should feel like they are gaining something at each level. Noncasters will be left in the dust, unless you have a major gimping/revision of the spells.

One of my favorites which you've left off the table is the Wound/Vitality Point system. Its one of my favorites and feel that it brings out a very real feel to d20 games. Its located on the 3.5srd, and a good system using armor as Wound Dr exists in Star Wars D20 2nd edition.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-02-05, 09:17 PM
While I like the gist of what you're saying, I have to agree that most of the classes seem to lack abilities. I think ~3 Features allows a little more room for character concepts, especially if each class had a small list of Alt-Class features to switch out. For balance sake, you could follow Legend's example and have 1 Feature be offensive or proactive in nature (Rage, Backstab, Evocation Spells), 1 be defensive or reactive (DR, Uncanny Dodge, Healing/Abjuration), and 1 Utility or wildcard feature (Paladin Mount, Illusion spells, Skill Mastery), and only allow players to switch out a Class Feature for one equivalent.

EX: The Berserker isn't a fan of Bravery. He wants to trade it out for a minor Fear Aura-type power, or Fast Healing. The Thief might trade Backstab for some Fight Bonus feats.

One of my favorites which you've left off the table is the Wound/Vitality Point system. Its one of my favorites and feel that it brings out a very real feel to d20 games. Its located on the 3.5srd, and a good system using armor as Wound Dr exists in Star Wars D20 2nd edition.

+9,001 Internet Cookies. My players refuse to go a game without the W&V system. It makes things a little more lethal even at higher play levels, and they can better visualize a "Hero Shield" than try to abstract Hit Points.

I actually thought of a way for armor to work well with the system. Have the Armor's AC bonus only apply if the character still has Vitality. If they take a "real hit" that applies to their Wounds (or True HP), then the armor's DR takes over.

Dsurion
2013-02-06, 12:59 AM
I like everything in the first post. It's a wonderful idea for a project, especially if you can get to use it for your setting.

I like every one of the mundane classes. They each get a trick without seeming to gamey and getting loads of abilities people will multiclass for.

However, I think for something like the above to work, you should really just nix casting classes altogether.

Just my two cents.

Yora
2013-02-06, 07:19 AM
Vitality could make the game a bit more leathal than I want to, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work as an optional variant so far.

One update to skills: Taking the idea form Myth & Magic, skills can be double trained at 3rd level, tripple trained at 6th level, and quadruple trained at 9th level, each time adding +3 to the modifier. This can be done with normal extra skills from class levels or the Skill Training feat. (The Skill Focus feat gets scraped.)

Since there is now some participation, let's summarize the abilities of the classes so far:

{table=head]Class|Major Trait|Minor Trait
Warrior|Bonus Feats|Free medium armor
Berserker|Rage|Uncanny Dodge
Hunter|Favored Terrain|Woodland Stride, Swift Tracker
Thief|Skill Mastery, Backstab|Bonus Skills
Priest|Spellcasting|-
Mage|Spellcasting|-[/table]

Warriors get a feat at every level and the casters get spells, so I think they don't need any other major traits.
I think with Skill Mastery and Backstab, thieves are already quite well served.
Berserkers have Rage, which is really good, but a second major ability would also be a good thing I guess.
Hunters just have Favored Terrain, which is nice, but not really very useful in an offensive way. Favored Enemy would add some omph, but that would also be only passive bonuses and not really that fun. Also the rate at which a hunter gains new favored terrains could be increased since it's a 10 level game, but I don't think it would make them much more fun either.

So, any good ideas for additional Major Traits for Berserkers and Hunters?

With the spellcasters, things are still almost completely open in regard to what spells they can get and even how many. Since the other classes are rather mundane, going more along the lines of the Wilder than the Psion might actually be a quite good idea.

Yora
2013-02-06, 07:49 AM
Spellcasting (First Take)

Compared to standard D&D and Pathfinder the classes are relatively low powered and in most similar d20 games casters are extremely powerful. Since this would be a really good opportunity to adress this issue in d20 games, I would say let's look at a couple of options

The psion is a tier 1 class even in 3.5e, which here would probably be beyond the scale even with carefully limited spells to chose from.
The wilder has a lot less spells, but relies heavily on the wild surge trait, which I think really wouldn't work well here either.
And finally the psychic warrior, who might actually be a quite good starting point.
How about starting the spells known of the PW but with the spell points of the psion and wilder? Which would result in this:

{table=head]Lvl.|Spell Points|# of Spells|Max. Lvl.
1st|2|2|1st
2nd|6|3|1st
3rd|11|5|1st
4th|17|6|2nd
5th|25|8|2nd
6th|35|9|2nd
7th|46|10|3rd
8th|58|11|3rd
9th|72|12|3rd
10th|88|13|4th[/table]

I added one additional spell known at 1st, 3rd, and 5th level to get a bit of a head start, as both mages and priests barely bring any combat ability to the table.

Metamagic feats would also use the psionic focus mechanic, which could be reflavored as Magical Exertion. After any such exertion, a spellcaster could still cast spells, but would have to take a full round action to regain their full power to use any such ability again.

Edit: Also, another idea. Maybe we could get Incantations to work. Scrying, Raise Dead, Animate Dead, and Plane Shift don't need to be spells but could instead be done by ritual magic. Just without all the troubles that plague incantations and epic spells.

Dsurion
2013-02-06, 04:29 PM
Now that I've looked into this a bit closer, you have Improved Uncanny Dodge listed in the table for Berserker and Thief, but not written out in the Class Feature section.

Also, how are you handling Action Points? Are they going to just be +1d6 to a roll? As the Unearthed Arcana variant strictly as-written but with actions points per day as listed?

I'm always on-board for Incantations. Would you be brewing up a new system for them? Using the UA version as-written?

Maybe you could give Hunters Skirmish or something similar. Berserkers might have something like [Improved Mobility: The Berserker never provokes attacks of opportunity so long as he moves at least 10 feet during that combat round.] Just some ideas.

Yora
2013-02-07, 08:28 AM
Update: I made slight changes to the class skill list and also somewhat increased the amount of trained skills for all classes, as they are itended to play a bigger role in the game.

Magic & Spells (1st draft)
Spellcasters have never been overpowered or broken, it has always been their spell lists that were. (Except for druids.) Spells that have great versatilty and as many applications as one can think of seem to be the worst bad boys among them.
Since this isn't really intended as a D&D variant, I completely scrapped all spell lists and started back at the very beginning. And this time the spells can be selected and created to directly keep that issue in mind.
As I love the augmentation rules for psionic powers, the following list shows which spells I want to combine into new augmentable ones.

Heal: cure light wounds, cure moderate wounds, cure serious wounds, cure critical wounds
Harm: inflict light wounds, inflict moderate wounds, inflict serious wounds, inflict critical wounds
Restoration: lesser restoration, restoration, delay poison, neutralize poison
Charm: charm person, charm animal, charm monster (use XPH version)
Dominate: dominate person, dominate monster (use XPH version)
Suggestion: (XPH version)
Command: command, greater command
Hold: hold person, hold monster
Sleep: sleep, deep slumber, disable (XPH)
Daze: daze, daze monster (use XPH version)
Resist Energy: endure elements, resist energy, protection from energy
Fear: cause fear, scare, fear
Light: light, daylight
Darkness: darkness, deeper darkness
Invisibility: invisibility, greater invisibility, mass invisibility
Illusion: silent image, minor image, major image
Magic Weapon: magic weapon, magic fang, greater magic weapon, greater magic fang
Magic Armor: mage armor?, magic vestment?, barkskin?
Fog Cloud: obscuring mist, fog cloud
Fire Ray: energy ray (fire) (XPH)
Ice Ray: energy ray (ice) (XPH)
Lightning Ray: energy ray (electricity) (XPH)
Fire Missile: energy missile (fire) (XPH)
Ice Missile: energy missile (cold) (XPH)
Lightning Missile: energy missile (electricity) (XPH)
Cone of Fire: energy cone (fire) (XPH)
Cone of Cold: energy cone (fire) (XPH)
Cone of Lightning: energy cone (fire) (XPH)
Fireball: energy burst (fire) (XPH)
Lightning Bolt: energy bolt (electricity) (XPH)
Wall of Fire: energy wall (fire) (XPH)
Ice Shard: crystal shard (XPH)
Ice Shard Storm: swarm of crystals (XPH)
Beast Shape: beast shape I, beast shape II (PF)
Alter Self: (PF version, small and medium only, no flight)
Summon Monster: astral construct (XPH)
Detect Magic: detect psionics (XPH)
Dispel Magic: dispel psionics (XPH)
Detect Thoughts: detect thoughts (XPH)
Faerie Fire: faerie fire
Animal Affinity: bears endurance, bulls strength, cats grace, animal affinity (XPH) (range: touch)
Disguise: disguise self, veil
Haste: haste
Slow: slow
Heroism: heroism, mass heroism
Animate dead: summon monster I, animate dead
Stinking Cloud: stinking cloud
Protection from Outsiders: protection from chaos/evil/good/law
Magic Circle against Outsiders: magic circle against chaos/evil/good/law
Web: web
Grease: grease
Entangle: entangle
Water Breathing: water breathing
Vulnerability to energy
Vulnerability to weapons
Weakness: penalty to Str, Dex, and Con
Beast Sight: Low-light vision, darkvision, blindsight

I think this already covers pretty much everything. Grease, web, and entangle are often called exceptionally good, so it might be a good idea to revise them to some degree.
If anything seems to be missing that really should be there, or any of these spells are still regarded as problematic, please mention it.

Yora
2013-02-07, 09:30 AM
Armor
Obviosuly this is not intended as a game for renaissance urban adventures and so a custom armor table seems to be called for. This one already includes the changes from Armor as Damage Reduction.

The idea is that armor both prevents some hits to reach the body but also absorbs some of the damage if it is penetrated. Realistically there would still be hits to part of the body that are unprotected by armor and would deal full damage, but realistically hits to different parts of the body would have very different effects and that really is outside the scope of a simple combat RPG.

{table=head]Light Armor.........*|Cost|*AC*|*DR*|Max. Dex|Penalty|Spell Fail.|Speed|Weight|Hardness|hp
Fabric armor|100 sp|+1|1/-|+6|-0|10%|30 ft.|10 lb.|5|10 hp
Leather scale|250 sp|+2|1/-|+5|-1|15%|30 ft.|15 lb.|5|15 hp
Chain shirt|1,000 sp|+2|2/-|+4|-2|20%|30%|20 lb.|10|25 hp[/table]
{table=head]Medium Armor...**|Cost|*AC*|*DR*|Max. Dex|Penalty|Spell Fail.|Speed|Weight|Hardness|hp
Hide armor|150 sp|+2|1/-|+4|-3|20%|20 ft.|25 lb.|5|15 hp
Scale armor|500 sp|+2|2/-|+3|-4|25%|20 ft.|30 lb.|10|20 hp
Chainmail|1,500 sp|+3|2/-|+2|-5|30%|20 ft.|40 lb.|10|25 hp
Lamellar Breastplate|2,000 sp|+3|2/-|+3|-4|25%|20 ft.|30 lb.|10|25 hp[/table]
{table=head]Heavy Armor.....**|Cost|*AC*|*DR*|Max. Dex|Penalty|Spell Fail.|Speed|Weight|Hardness|hp
Lamellar|2,500 sp|+3|3/-|+1|-6|35%|20 ft.|35 lb.|10|30 hp[/table]
{table=head]Shields|Cost...*|*AC*|*DR*|Max. Dex|Penalty|Spell Fail.|Speed|Weight|Hardness|hp
Light wooden shield|30 sp|+1|-|-|-1|5%|-|5 lb.|5|7 hp
Heavy wooden shield|70 sp|+2|-|-|-2|15%|-|10 lb.|5|15 hp[/table]

I increased the hardness for fabric armor, leather scale, and hide armor from 2 to 5. These materials are a lot tougher in armor than when used in clothing.

Though I have a bit of a doubt of how good this Damage Reduction really is. It's great against daggers and claws but against 1d8+2 from a common warrior with a battleaxe it seems only useful. And the 1d12+7 from a raging berserker almost ignore it. But then, we wouldn't want daggers to become compeltely useless either.

Yora
2013-02-08, 10:46 AM
Spells (2nd Draft)

Now things are getting meaty. Working on this for the past two days, I came up with a list and full description for 72 spells. Which for a d20 game, is actually quite low.

There are four schools, Creation, Elements, Entropy, and Spirit, and two minor special schools, Blood and Fel, which will get more unique spells later.

Creation Magic
Animal Affinity
Alter Form (alter self, wings and large size only with augmentation)
Beast Shape (beast shape I, beast shape II)
Beast Sight (Low-light vision, darkvision, blindsight)
Cure Wounds
Endure Elements
Entangle
Faerie Fire
Grease
Haste
Light (light, daylight)
Remove Affliction (remove disease, remove paralysis, delay poison, neutralize poison)
Resist Energy
Restoration
Summon Spirit (astral construct)
Wall of Thorns
Water Breathing
Web

Elemental Magic
Cone of Cold (energy cone (cold))
Cone of Flames (energy cone (fire))
Earth Walk
Fireball (energy burst (fire))
Fog (obscuring mist, fog cloud)
Gaseous Form
Gust of Wind
Lightning (energy missile (electricity))
Lightning Bolt (energy bolt (electricity))
Ray of Cold (energy ray (cold))
Ray of Electricity (energy ray (electricity))
Ray of Fire (energy ray (fire))
Wall of Fire (energy wall (fire))
Wall of Ice
Wall of Stone

Entropy Magic
Darkness
Demoralize (doom)
Fear (cause fear, scare, fear)
Hold (hold person, hold monster)
Inflict Wounds
Shadow Cloak (blur)
Sleep
Slow
Stinking Cloud
Vulnerability to Energy (1.5x damage from energy attacks)
Vulnerability to Weapons (Negates all DR)
Weakness (-2 Str, Dex, and Con)

Spirit Magic
Charm (charm person, charm monster)
Command
Courage (improved bless)
Daze
Detect Magic
Dimension Hop
Disguise (disguise self, veil)
Dispel Magic
Dominate (dominate person, dominate monster)
Heroism
Illusion (silent image, minor image, major image)
Invisibility
Locate (locate creature, locate object)
Magic Armor
Magic Circle
Magic Weapon
Protection from Outsiders
Read Thoughts
Remove Fear
See Invisibility
Speak with Dead
Spell Ward (lesser globe of invulnerability, caster level check to break, concentration)
Suggestion

Blood Magic
Death Knell
Vampiric Touch

Fel Magic
Animate Corpse (summon undead I)
Command Undead

And here the full descriptions for pretty much all spells I have so far.

Spell Descriptions
Animal Affinity
Creation Magic
Level: Mage 2, Priest 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (if interacted with)
Spell Resistance: Yes
Spell Points: 3

The subject of this spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to either Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.
Augment: For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spell affects one additional target.

Animate Corpses
Fel Magic
Level: Fel 2
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One or more corpses
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

With this spell, you can temporarily animate nearby corpses as skeletons and zombies with up to 5 HD in total.
Augment: For every additional spell points you spend, you can create additional undead worth 1 HD.

Alter Form
Creation Magic (polymorph)
Level: Mage 2
Range: Personal or Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One humanoid creature
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

With this spell you can alter your shape an appearance and also gain certain special abilities. The new shape you assume must be humanoid and of the same size category as your own form.
In addition, you can also gain one of the following abilities in addition to those you normally possess: darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, scent, and swim 30 feet.
While the spell does not allow to perfectly copy the appearance of another person, it provides a +10 bonus to Disguise checks to impersonate that person.
Augment: You can augment this spell in one or more of the following ways.
1. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells can target a different creature than yourself.
2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells duration changes to 10 min./level.
3. If you spend 4 additional spell points, the spells duration changes to 1 hour/level.
4. If you spend 2 additional spell points, you can change into a form one size category larger and smaller than your own. If the new size is smaller than your own, you get a +2 size bonus to Dexterity, if it is larger than your own, you get a +2 size bonus to Strength.
5. For every additional spell point you spend, you can gain another special ability.
6. For every 2 additional spell points you spend, you can gain any one of the following abilities: climb 60 feet, fly 60 feet (good maneuverability), swim 60 feet, darkvision 60 feet.

Beast Shape
Level: Mage 3, Priest 3
Range: Personal or Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Spell Points: 5

When you cast this spell, you can assume the form of any Small or Medium creature of the animal type.
If the form you assume has any of the following abilities, you gain the listed ability: climb 30 feet, fly 30 feet (average maneuverability), swim 30 feet, darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, and scent.
1. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells can target a different creature than yourself.
2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells duration changes to 10 min./level.
3. If you spend 4 additional spell points, the spells duration changes to 1 hour/level.
4. If you spend 2 additional spell points, you can change into a tiny or large creature of the animal type. If the form you assume has any of the following abilities, you gain the listed ability: climb 60 feet, fly 60 feet (good maneuverability), swim 60 feet, darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, scent, grab, pounce, and trip.

Tiny animal: If the form you take is that of a Tiny animal, you gain a +4 size bonus to your Dexterity, a -2 penalty to your Strength, and a +1 natural armor bonus.
Small animal: If the form you take is that of a Small animal, you gain a +2 size bonus to your Dexterity and a +1 natural armor bonus.
Medium animal: If the form you take is that of a Medium animal, you gain a +2 size bonus to your Strength and a +2 natural armor bonus.
Large animal: If the form you take is that of a Large animal, you gain a +4 size bonus to your Strength, a -2 penalty to your Dexterity, and a +4 natural armor bonus.

Beast Sight
Level: Mage 1, Priest 1
Range: Personal or Touch
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Spell Points: 1

When casting this spell, you gain low-light vision.
1. If you spend 2 additional spell points, you gain darkvision 60 ft. instead.
2. If you spend 4 additional spell points, you gain blindsight 30 ft. instead.
3. If you spend 2 additional spell points, you can cast the spell on other creatures than yourself.

Charm
Spirit Magic (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Target: One humanoid
Duration: 1 hour/minute
Saving Throw: Will negates

This charm makes a humanoid creature regard you as its trusted friend and ally (treat the targets attitude as friendly). If the creature is currently being threatened or attacked by you or your allies, however, it receives a +5 bonus on its saving throw.
The spell does not enable you to control the charmed person as if it were an automaton, but it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn't ordinarily do. (Retries are not allowed.) An affected creature never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but it might be convinced that something very dangerous is worth doing. Any act by you or your apparent allies that threatens the charmed person breaks the spell. You must speak the person's language to communicate your commands, or else be good at pantomiming.
1. If you spend 2 additional spell points, this spell can also affect an animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.
2. If you spend 4 additional spell points, this spell can also affect an aberration, dragon, elemental, or outsider in addition to the creature types mentioned above.
3. If you spend 4 additional spell points, this spells duration increases to one day per level.
In addition, for every 2 additional spell points you spend to achieve any of these effects, this spells save DC increases by 1.

Command
Spirit Magic (Compulsion) [Language-Dependent, Mind-Affecting]
Components: V
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 round

You give the subject a single command, which it obeys to the best of its ability at its earliest opportunity. You may select from the following options.
Approach: On its turn, the subject moves toward you as quickly and directly as possible for the spells duration. The creature may do nothing but move during its turn, and it provokes attacks of opportunity for this movement as normal.
Drop: On its turn, the subject drops whatever it is holding. It can't pick up any dropped item for the duration of the spell.
Fall: On its turn, the subject falls to the ground and remains prone for the spells duration. It may act normally while prone but takes any appropriate penalties.
Flee: On its turn, the subject moves away from you as quickly as possible for the spells duration. It may do nothing but move during its turn, and it provokes attacks of opportunity for this movement as normal.
Halt: The subject stands in place for the spells duration. It may not take any actions but is not considered helpless.
1. If you spend 1 additional spell point, the spells duration increases by another round.
2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spell affects one additional target.
In addition, for every 2 additional spell points you spend to achieve any of these effects, this spells save DC increases by 1.

Command Undead
Fel Magic
Level: Fel 2
Targets: One undead creature
Duration: One day/level
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text

This spell allows you some degree of control over an undead creature. Assuming the subject is intelligent, it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way (treat its attitude as friendly). It will not attack you while the spell lasts. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn't ordinarily do. (Retries are not allowed.) An intelligent commanded undead never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but it might be convinced that something very dangerous is worth doing.
A nonintelligent undead creature gets no saving throw against this spell. When you control a mindless being, you can communicate only basic commands, such as "come here", "go there", "fight", "stand still", and so on. Nonintelligent undead never resist orders, even suicidal or obviously harmful ones.
Any act by you or your apparent allies that threatens the commanded undead (regardless of its Intelligence) breaks the spell.
Your commands are not telepathic. The undead creature must be able to hear you.
Augment: For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spell affects one additional target.

Cone of Cold
Elemental Magic [Air, Cold, Water]
Components: V, S, M
Range: 30 ft.
Target: Cone-shaped spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude half

You create a cone-shaped blast of supercooled air that deals 3d6 points of cold damage to every creature or object within the area.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, this spells damage increases by 1d6. For each extra two dice of damage, this spells save DC increases by 1.

Cone of Flames
Elemental Magic [Fire]
Range: 30 ft.
Target: Cone-shaped spread
Saving Throw: Reflex half

You create a cone-shaped blast of flames that deals 5d6 points of fire damage to every creature or object within the area.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, this spells damage increases by 1d6. For each extra two dice of damage, this spells save DC increases by 1.

Courage
Spirit Magic (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Range: 50 ft.
Target: The caster and all allies within a 50-ft. burst, centered on the caster
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

The subjects of this spell gain a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and all saving throws. Against fear effects, the bonus to saves is +2. They also gain +1d8 temporary hit points.
Augment: If you spend an additional 4 spell points, the morale bonus to attack rolls and saving throws increases to +2 and the bonus to saves against fear effects to +4.

Cure Wounds
Creation Magic (healing)
Level: Mage 2, Priest 1
Saving Throw: Will half (harmless); see text
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless); see text
Spell Points: Mage 3, Priest 1

You channel positive energy that cures the touched creature of 5 points of damage.
Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell deals damage to them instead of curing their wounds. An undead creature can apply spell resistance, and can attempt a Will save to take half damage.
Augment: You can augment this spell in one or both of the following ways.
1. For every 2 additional spell points you spend, the spell cures an additional 5 points of damage.
2. If you spend 8 additional spell points, the spells range increases to "Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)", and its target changes to "One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart".

Darkness
Entropy Magic [Darkness]
Target: Object touched

This spell causes an object to radiate shadowy illumination out to a 20-foot radius (unless the illumination already was darker than shadowy illumination).
All creatures in the area gain concealment, giving everyone attacking a creature within the area a 20% miss chance. The attacks of creatures within the area likewise suffer this miss chance, even if the attack is on a creature outside the area.
Even creatures that can normally see in conditions of poor visibility (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness.
Normal lights (torches, candles, lanterns, and so forth) are incapable of brightening the area. If an area of magical light and an area of magical darkness overlap, the spell on which more spell points were spent prevails. If an equal number of spell points were spent on both spells, ambient light conditions remain.
The darkness effect is immobile, but it can be cast on a movable object.
The darkness spell does not block line of sight, a creature standing outside the affected area could use ranged attacks against another creature standing outside the affected area, even if the line of effect passes through the magical darkness.
Augment: If you spend an additional 2 spell points, the darkness becomes pitch black, granting total concealment to those within, and raising the miss chance for all involved to 50%.

Daze
Target: One humanoid creature that has 4 HD or less
Duration: 1 round

This enchantment clouds the mind of a humanoid creature with 4 or fewer Hit Dice so that it takes no actions. Humanoids of 5 or more HD are not affected. A dazed subject is not stunned, so attackers get no special advantage against it.
Material Component: A pinch of wool or similar substance.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, this spell can affect a target that has Hit Dice equal to 4 + the additional points.

Death Knell
Blood Magic [Death]
Level: Blood 2
Target: One living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous/10 minutes per HD of the subject; see text

You draw forth the ebbing life force of a creature and use it to fuel your own power. Upon casting this spell, you touch a living creature that has -1 or fewer hit points. If the subject fails its saving throw, it dies, and you gain 1d8 temporary hit points and a +2 bonus to Strength. Additionally, your effective caster level goes up by +1, improving spell effects dependent on caster level. (This increase in effective caster level does not grant you access to more spells.) These effects last for 10 minutes per HD of the subject creature.

Demoralize
Entropy Magic [Fear]
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)

You fill your enemies with self-doubt. Any enemy in the area that fails its save becomes shaken for the duration of the spell. Allies and creatures without an Intelligence score are unaffected.
Augment: For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spell can affect an additional target. Any additional target cannot be more than 15 feet from another target of the spell.

Detect Magic
Spirit Magic
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone -shaped emanation centered on you
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level (D)

You detect magical auras. A magical aura is given off by any active or permanent spell, or during the use of any magical feat. Characters who have levels in a spellcasting class also possess magical auras. The amount of information revealed by the casting of this spell depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.
1st Round: Presence or absence of magic auras.
2nd Round: Number of different magical auras and the strength of the most potent aura.
3rd Round: The strength and location of each aura. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Spellcraft checks to determine the sphere involved in each aura. (Make one check per aura; DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + one-half caster level for an effect that is not created by a spell, such as that of a magic item.)
Magically charged locations, multiple spheres, or strong local magical emanations may confuse or conceal weaker auras.
Aura Strength: A magical auras strength depends on a functioning spells level or an items caster level. If an aura falls into more than one category, detect magic indicates the stronger of the two.

Magic Aura Strength
Spell or Item Aura Strength
Faint Moderate Strong
Functioning spell 1st-2nd 3rd-4th 5th+
(spell level)
Magic item 1st-4th 5th-8th 10th+
(caster level)

Lingering Aura: A magical aura lingers after its original source dissipates (in the case of a spell) or is destroyed (in the case of a magic item). If detect magic is cast and directed at such a location, the spell indicates an aura of dim (even weaker than a faint aura). How long the aura lingers at this dim level depends on its original strength.

Lingering Aura Duration
Original Strength Duration
Faint 1d6 minutes
Moderate 1d6 × 10 minutes
Strong 1d6 hours
Overwhelming 1d6 days

Each round, you can turn to detect magic in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Dimension Hop
Spirit Magic (teleportation)
Level: Mage 1
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: 10 feet
Target: You

You instantly move to an unoccupied square up to 10 feet away and in line of sight.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, you can move an additional 5 feet.

Disguise
Spirit Magic (Glamer)
Range: Personal
Saving Throw: Will Negates (if interacted with)

You make yourself - including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment - look different. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller, thin, fat, or in between. You cannot change your body type. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person.
The spell does not provide the abilities or mannerisms of the chosen form, nor does it alter the perceived tactile (touch) or audible (sound) properties of you or your equipment.
If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on the Disguise check. A creature that interacts with the glamer gets a Will save to recognize it as an illusion.
1. For every additional spell point you spend, the bonus on Disguise checks increases by 1.
2. If you spend 6 additional spell points, you can change your apparent size category one step up or down (for example, a gnome could disguise himself as a human, or an ogre could disguise himself as an elf). Note that this may make it significantly more likely that others accidentally interact with the glamer.
3. If you spend 4 additional spell points, the spells duration changes to 24 hours.
4. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells range changes to touch, its target changes to "willing creature touched", and it gains a spell resistance entry of "yes". For every 2 spell points you spend beyond that, the spell can affect an additional target.

Dispel Magic
Spirit Magic
Target or Area: One spellcaster, creature, or object; or 20-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous or 1d4 rounds; see text

You can use dispel magic to end ongoing spells that have been cast on a creature or object, to temporarily suppress the magical abilities of a magic item, or to end ongoing spells (or at least their effects) within an area. A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired. Some spells, as detailed in their descriptions, can't be defeated by dispel magic, or can be ended only if you cast dispel magic at a high enough caster level. Dispel magic can end spell-like effects just as it does spells.
The effect of a spell with an instantaneous duration can't be dispelled, because the magical effect is already over before the dispel magic can take effect.
You choose to use dispel magic in one of two ways: a targeted dispel or an area dispel.
Targeted Dispel: One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spells caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.
If you target an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell or is under the effect of an ongoing spell, you make a dispel check to end the spell or its effect. If the object that you target is a magic item, you make a dispel check against the items caster level. If you succeed, all the items magical properties are suppressed for 1d4 rounds, after which the item recovers on its own. A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect. A magic items physical properties are unchanged: A suppressed magic sword is still a sword (a masterwork sword, in fact). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal spells such as this.
You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spells that you cast yourself.
Area Dispel: When dispel magic is used in this way, the spell affects everything within a 20-foot radius. For each creature within the area that is the subject of one or more spells, you make a dispel check against the spell with the highest caster level. If that check fails, you make dispel checks against progressively weaker spells until you dispel one spell (which discharges the dispel magic spell so far as that target is concerned) or until you fail all your checks. The creatures magic items are not affected.
For each object within the area that is the target of one or more spells, you make dispel checks as with creatures. Magic items are not affected by an area dispel.
For each ongoing area or effect spell whose point of origin is within the area of the dispel magic spell, you can make a dispel check to dispel the spell.
For each ongoing spell whose area overlaps that of the dispel magic spell, you can make a dispel check to end the effect, but only within the overlapping area.
If an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell is in the area, you can make a dispel check to end the spell that created that object or construct in addition to attempting to dispel spells targeting the creature or object. You can choose to automatically succeed on dispel checks against any spell that you have cast.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, the bonus on your dispel check increases by 2 (to a maximum bonus of +20 for a 5-point expenditure).

Dominate
Level: Mage 4
Target: One humanoid
Duration: Concentration
Spell Points: 7

You can control the actions of any humanoid creature through a telepathic link that you establish with the subjects mind.
If you and the subject have a common language, you can generally force the subject to perform as you desire, within the limits of its abilities. If no common language exists, you can communicate only basic commands, such as "Come here," "Go there," "Fight," and "Stand still." You know what the subject is experiencing, but you do not receive direct sensory input from it, nor can it communicate with you telepathically.
Once you have given a dominated creature a command, it continues to attempt to carry out that command to the exclusion of all other activities except those necessary for day-to-day survival (such as sleeping, eating, and so forth). Because of this limited range of activity, a Sense Motive check against DC 15 (rather than DC 25) can determine that the subjects behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (see the Sense Motive skill description).
Changing your instructions or giving a dominated creature a new command is the equivalent of redirecting a spell, so it is a move action.
By concentrating fully on the spell (a standard action), you can receive full sensory input as interpreted by the mind of the subject, though it still can't communicate with you. You can't actually see through the subjects eyes, so it's not as good as being there yourself, but you still get a good idea of what's going on.
Subjects resist this control, and any subject forced to take actions against its nature receives a new saving throw with a +2 bonus. Obviously self-destructive orders are not carried out. Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as you and the subject are on the same plane. You need not see the subject to control it.
If you don't spend at least 1 round concentrating on the spell each day, the subject receives a new saving throw to throw off the domination.
Protection from evil or a similar spell can prevent you from exercising control or using the telepathic link while the subject is so warded, but such an effect neither prevents the establishment of domination nor dispels it.
1. If you spend 2 additional spell points, this spell can also affect an animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.
2. If you spend 4 additional spell points, this spell can also affect an aberration, dragon, elemental, or outsider in addition to the creature types mentioned above.
3. For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spell can affect an additional target. Any additional target cannot be more than 15 feet from another target of the spell.
4. If you spend 1 additional spell point, this spells duration is 1 hour rather than concentration. If you spend 2 additional spell points, this spells duration is 1 day rather than concentration. If you spend 4 additional spell points, this spells duration is 1 day per caster level rather than concentration.

Earth Walk
Elemental Magic

You create a perfect mental bond with stone, allowing you to move over it with uncanny ease. While this spell is in effect, you can climb stone and earthen surfaces at your current base speed, including moving across ceilings, overhangs, and other slanted or vertical surfaces without making Climb checks. While climbing in this manner, you do not have to make a Climb check to avoid losing your grip when you take damage.
In addition, you can cling to a stone surface easily with just one limb, allowing you to attack without restriction, cast spells normally, and retain your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class while climbing.
Augment: If you spend 6 additional spell points, you can cast this spell as a swift action.

Endure Elements
Creation Magic
Duration: 24 hours

A creature protected by endure elements suffers no harm from being in a hot or cold environment. It can exist comfortably in conditions between -50 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves). The creatures equipment is likewise protected.
Endure elements doesn't provide any protection from fire or cold damage, nor does it protect against other environmental hazards such as smoke, lack of air, and so forth.

Entangle
Creation Magic
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Plants in a 20-ft.-radius spread
Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text

Grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees wrap, twist, and entwine about everything in their path. Creatures in the area or those that enter it are entangled. The creature can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check. A creature that succeeds on a Reflex save is not entangled but can still move at only half speed through the area. Each round on your turn, the plants once again attempt to entangle all creatures that have avoided or escaped entanglement.
Augment: If you spend 8 additional spell points, creatures in the area are immobilized on a failed save rather than entangled. The Strength or Escape Artist check DCs are not affected.

Faerie Fire
Creation Magic [Light]
Level: Mage 1, Priest 2
Area: Creatures and objects within a 5-ft.-radius burst

All creatures within the burst are outlined, and shed light as candles. Outlined creatures do not benefit from the concealment normally provided by darkness (though a magical darkness effect functions normally if more spell points were spent on the darkness effect than on the Faerie Fire spell), Blur, invisibility, or similar effects. The light is too dim to have any special effect on undead or dark-dwelling creatures vulnerable to light. The faerie fire can be blue, green, or violet, according to your choice at the time of casting. The faerie fire does not cause any harm to the objects or creatures thus outlined.

Fear
Entropy Magic [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Target: One living creature with 5 or fewer HD
Duration: 1d4 rounds or 1 round; see text
Saving Throw: Will partial

The affected creature becomes frightened. If the subject succeeds on a Will save, it is instead shaken for 1 round. Creatures with 6 or more Hit Dice cannot be frightened by this spell, only becoming shaken even on a failed save.
1. If you spend two additional spell points, the range of the spell increases to Medium.
2. For every two additional spell points spent, the spell can affect an additional creature.
3. If you spend two additional spell points, instead of becoming frightened on a failed save, the subject becomes panicked.
In addition, for every additional spell point spent on augmenting the spell, the spell can frighten a creature with one more HD. For every two additional spell points you spend, the save DC increases by 1.

Fireball
Elemental Magic (Fire)
Level: Mage 3
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread

You create a small ball of fire that explodes on impact and deals 5d6+6 points of fire damage to every creature or object within the area.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, this spells damage increases by 1d6+1. For each extra two dice of damage, this spells save DC increases by 1.

Fog
Elemental Magic [Air, Water]
Range: 20 ft.
Effect: Fog spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high, centered on you

You create a bank of fog, which is stationary once created. The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature 5 feet away has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker cannot use sight to locate the target).
A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a Gust of Wind spell, disperses the fog in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round.
This spell does not function underwater.
Augment: You can augment the spell in one or more
of the following ways.
1. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells duration is 10 minutes per level rather than 1 minute per level.
2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells range increases to Medium (allowing you to create banks of fog not centered on you).

Gaseous Form
Elemental Magic (polymorph) [Air]
Target: Willing corporeal creature touched

The subject and all its gear become insubstantial, misty, and translucent. Its material armor (including natural armor) becomes worthless, though its size, Dexterity, deflection bonuses, and armor bonuses from force effects still apply. The subject gains damage reduction 10/magic and becomes immune to poison and critical hits. It can't attack or provide verbal or somatic components while in gaseous form. The subject also loses supernatural abilities while in gaseous form. If it has a touch spell ready to use, that spell is discharged harmlessly when the gaseous form spell takes effect.
A gaseous creature can't run, but it can fly at a speed of 10 feet (maneuverability perfect). It can pass through small holes or narrow openings, even mere cracks, with all it was wearing or holding in its hands, as long as the spell persists. The creature is subject to the effects of wind, and it can't enter water or other liquid. It also can't manipulate objects or activate items, even those carried along with its gaseous form. Continuously active items remain active, though in some cases their effects may be moot.
The subject of the spell can will itself to resume corporeal form as a standard action.
Augment: You can Augment this spell in one or both of the following ways.
1. If you spend four additional spell points, the subject can evoke a powerful wind to increase its speed while in gaseous form. At the start of every round of the spells duration, it can decide whether the wind is active or not. If it decides that it is, its fly speed increases to 600 feet, but its maneuverability drops to clumsy. In rounds when the wind is not active, the fly speed is unchanged.
2. If you spend two additional spell points, the spells duration increases to 1 hour per level.

Grease
Creation Magic (Creation)
Target or Area: One object or a 10-ft. square
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: See spell text

Any creature in the area when this spell is cast must make a successful Reflex save or fall. This save is repeated on your turn each round that the creature remains within the area. A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can't move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details).
The spell can also be used to create a greasy coating on an item. Material objects not in use are always affected by this spell, while an object wielded or employed by a creature receives a Reflex saving throw to avoid the effect. If the initial saving throw fails, the creature immediately drops the item. A saving throw must be made in each round that the creature attempts to pick up or use the greased item. A creature wearing greased armor or clothing gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Escape Artist checks and on grapple checks made to resist or escape a grapple or to escape a pin.

Gust of Wind
Elemental Magic [Air]
Effect: Line-shaped gust of severe wind emanating out from you to the extreme of the range
Saving Throw: Special; see text

This spell creates a severe blast of air (approximately 50 mph) that originates from you, affecting all creatures in its path.
A creature caught in the blast of wind must make a strength check or be knocked backwards. The DC for the strength check is equal to the spells save DC. For every size category the creature is above medium, it gains a +4 bonus on the strength check. For every size category the creature is below medium, it suffers a -4 penalty on the strength check. Flying creatures suffer a -8 penalty on the strength check (in addition to the modifiers for size, above).
If the creature succeeds on the strength check, it suffers no ill effect. If the creature fails, it is knocked prone, and is pushed back 5 feet for every 2 by which it failed to meet the DC.
A gust of wind can't move a creature beyond the limit of its range. If the movement caused by the gust of wind causes the creature to collide with a solid object, the creature takes 3d6 points of nonlethal damage.
The force of the gust automatically extinguishes candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames. It causes protected flames, such as those of lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50% chance to extinguish those lights.
In addition to the effects noted, a gust of wind can do anything that a sudden blast of wind would be expected to do. It can create a stinging spray of sand or dust, fan a large fire, overturn delicate awnings or hangings, heel over a small boat, and blow gases or vapors to the edge of its range.

Yora
2013-02-08, 10:48 AM
Spells (continued)

Haste
Creation Magic
Targets: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level

This spell grants extra speed to its subject, which has has several effects.
When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creatures full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This effect is not cumulative with similar effects, such as that provided by a weapon of speed, nor does it actually grant an extra action, so you can't use it to cast a second spell or otherwise take an extra action in the round.)
A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses.
All of the hasted creatures modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subjects normal speed using that form of movement. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus, and it affects the creatures jumping distance as normal for increased speed.
Multiple haste effects don't stack.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, this spell can affect an additional creature.

Heroism
Duration: 10 min./level

The target gains a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks.
Augment: If you spend an additional 6 spell points, the morale bonus on the relevant rolls increases to +4, the subject gains an immunity to fear effects, and 1 temporary hit point per caster level.

Hold
Level: Law 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Target: One humanoid creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D); see text

The subject becomes paralyzed and freezes in place. It is aware and breathes normally but cannot take any actions, even speech. Each round on its turn, the subject may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect. (This is a full-round action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.)
A winged creature who is paralyzed cannot flap its wings and falls. A swimmer can't swim and may drown. A creature on solid ground is immobilized in a statue-like manner, not falling down unless pushed (it automatically fails all strength and dexterity checks to resist being tripped).
3. For every 2 additional spell points you spend, the spell can target an additional creature within range.

Illusion
Spirit Magic (Figment)
Effect: Visual figment that cannot extend beyond four 10-ft. cubes + one 10-ft. cube/level (S)
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)

This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you. The illusion does not create sound, smell, texture, or temperature (but see Augments, below). You can move the image within the limits of the size of the effect.
Augment: You can Augment the spell in one or more of the following ways.
1. If you spend 2 additional spell points, sounds (but not understandable speech) are included in the spell effect.
2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, smell and thermal illusions are included in the spell effect.
3. If you spend 2 additional spell points, you can move the image within the spells range for its duration.
4. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells duration changes to 1 min./level, rather than lasting only while you concentrate. You must still concentrate in order to move the image.

Inflict Wounds
Entropy Magic
Saving Throw: Will half
Spell Points: Mage 3, Priest 1

When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel negative energy that deals 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level.
Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell cures such a creature of a like amount of damage,rather than harming it.
1. For every 2 additional spell points you spend, the spell deals an additional 1d8 points of damage.
2. If you spend 8 additional spell points, the spells range increases to "Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)", and its target changes to "One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart".

Invisibility
Spirit Magic (Glamer)
Target: You or a creature or object touched weighing no more than 100 lb./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless) or Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless) or Yes (harmless object)

The creature or object touched becomes invisible, vanishing from sight. If the recipient is a creature carrying gear, that vanishes, too. If you cast the spell on someone else, neither you nor your allies can see the subject, unless you can normally see invisible things or you employ magic to do so.
Items dropped or put down by an invisible creature become visible; items picked up disappear if tucked into the clothing or pouches worn by the creature. Light, however, never becomes invisible, although a source of light can become so (thus, the effect is that of a light with no visible source). Any part of an item that the subject carries but that extends more than 10 feet from it becomes visible.
Of course, the subject is not magically silenced, and certain other conditions can render the recipient detectable (such as stepping in a puddle). The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (Exactly who is a foe depends on the invisible characters perceptions.) Actions directed at unattended objects do not break the spell. Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth. If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear. Spells that specifically affect allies but not foes are not attacks for this purpose, even when they include foes in their area.
1. If you spend 4 additional spell points, the spell doesn't end if the subject attacks.
2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, this spell can affect an additional target within range.

Light
Creation Magic [Light]
Range: Touch OR Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels); see text
Target: Object touched OR one creature; see text
Duration: 10 min./level (D) OR 1 round; see text

This spell has two separate functions, Glow (which causes a touched object to emit light) and Flare (which creates a single, focused flash). Each has its own usage descriptions and augmentation options.
Flare: This function of the spell targets a single creature within range. The creature must succeed on a fortitude save or be blinded for one round. A creature that succeeds on the fortitude save is dazzled instead. A creature that takes penalties or damage in bright light of any kind receives a -4 penalty on the save.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend on the Flare function of the spell, the creature is dazzled or blinded for an additional round.

Glow: This function of the spell causes an object to glow like a torch, shedding bright light in a 20-foot radius (and dim light for an additional 20 feet) from the point you touch. The effect is immobile, but it can be cast on a movable object.
If an area of magical light and an area of magical darkness overlap, the spell on which more spell points were spent prevails. If an equal number of spell points were spent on both spells, ambient light conditions remain.
Augment: If you spend 4 additional spell points, the object touched sheds light as bright as full daylight in a 60-foot radius, and dim light for an additional 60 feet beyond that. Creatures that take penalties in bright light also take them while within the radius of magical light so augmented.

Lightning
Elemental Magic [Air, Electricity]
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./ level)
Target: Up to five creatures or objects; no two targets can be more than 15 ft. apart.

You create arcs of lightning that hit up to five targets within range. The lightning deals 3d6 points electricity damage. You can not hit the same target multiple times.

Lightning Bolt
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line

You create a blast of lightning that deals 5d6 points of electricity damage to every creature or object within its path.
The Reflex save DC for this spell is +2 higher than normal and you gain a +2 bonus to caster level checks to overcome spell resistance.

Locate
Spirit Magic
Area: Circle, centered on you, with a radius of 400 ft. + 40 ft./level

You sense the direction towards a well-known or clearly visualized object. The spell does not tell you the distance towards the You can search for general items, in which case you locate the nearest one of its kind if more than one is within range. Attempting to find a certain item requires a specific and accurate mental image; if the image is not close enough to the actual object, the spell fails. You cannot specify a unique item unless you have observed that particular item firsthand (not through divination).
The spell is blocked by even a thin sheet of lead. Creatures cannot be found by this spell (but see augment, below).
1. If you spend 4 extra spell points, the range of the spell (and thereby the radius of the circle) increases to 1 mile per level.
2. If you spend 4 extra spell points, you can locate a familiar creature with this spell. The spell can then locate a specific creature known to you or a creature of a specific kind (race or species). It cannot find a creature of a certain type. To find a kind of creature, you must have seen such a creature up close (within 30 feet) at least once.

Magic Armor
Spirit Magic
Level: Mage 1, Priest 2
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)

You gain a +2 armor bonus to Armor Class and a +2 armor bonus to damage reduction. Unlike mundane armor, magic armor entails no armor check penalty or speed reduction. Because magic armor is composed of magical energy, incorporeal creatures can't bypass it the way they do normal armor. The armor bonus provided by mage armor does not stack with the armor bonus provided by regular armor, as normal for armor bonuses.
Augment: 2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells range changes to "touch", and its target changes to "creature touched".

Magic Circle
Spirit Magic
Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature
Spell Resistance: No; see text

All creatures within the area gain the effects of a protection from outsiders spell, and no summoned creatures can enter the area either. You must overcome a creatures spell resistance in order to keep it at bay (as in the third function of protection from outsiders), but the deflection and resistance bonuses and the protection from mental control apply regardless of enemies' spell resistance.
This spell has an alternative version that you may choose when casting it. A magic circle can be focused inward rather than outward. When focused inward, the spell binds a called outsider for a maximum of 24 hours per caster level, provided that you cast the spell that calls the creature within 1 round of casting the magic circle. The creature cannot cross the circles boundaries. If a creature too large to fit into the spells area is the subject of the spell, the spell acts as a normal protection from outsiders spell for that creature only.
A magic circle leaves much to be desired as a trap. If the circle of powdered silver laid down in the process of spellcasting is broken, the effect immediately ends. The trapped creature can do nothing that disturbs the circle, directly or indirectly, but other creatures can. If the called creature has spell resistance, it can test the trap once a day. If you fail to overcome its spell resistance, the creature breaks free, destroying the circle. A creature capable of any form of dimensional travel can simply leave the circle through that means. The creature cannot reach across the magic circle, but its ranged attacks (ranged weapons, spells, magical abilities, and the like) can. The creature can attack any target it can reach with its ranged attacks except for the circle itself.
You can add a special diagram (a two-dimensional bounded figure with no gaps along its circumference, augmented with various magical sigils) to make the magic circle more secure. Drawing the diagram by hand takes 10 minutes and requires a DC 20 Spellcraft check. You do not know the result of this check. If the check fails, the diagram is ineffective. You can take 10 when drawing the diagram if you are under no particular time pressure to complete the task. This task also takes 10 full minutes. If time is no factor at all, and you devote 3 hours and 20 minutes to the task, you can take 20.
A creature cannot use its spell resistance against a magic circle prepared with a diagram, and none of its abilities or attacks can cross the diagram. If the creature tries a Charisma check to break free of the trap (see the lesser planar binding spell), the DC increases by 5. The creature is immediately released if anything disturbs the diagram—even a straw laid across it. However, the creature itself cannot disturb the diagram either directly or indirectly, as noted above.
This spell is not cumulative with protection from outsiders and vice versa.
Material Component: A little powdered silver with which you trace a 3-foot diameter circle on the floor (or ground) around the creature to be warded.
Augment: For every 2 additional spell points you spend, the radius of the spells area increases by 10 feet.

Magic Weapon
Spirit Magic
Target: One weapon or fifty projectiles (all of which must be in contact with each other at the time of casting)
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

This spell gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls.
Alternatively, you can affect as many as fifty arrows, bolts, or bullets. The projectiles must be of the same kind, and they have to be together (in the same quiver or other container). Projectiles, but not thrown weapons, lose their transmutation when used. (Treat darts as projectiles, rather than as thrown weapons, for the purpose of this spell.)
This spell can affect a natural weapon.
1. For every 4 additional spell points you spend, the enhancement bonus increases by +1.
2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells duration increases to 1 hour/level.

Protection from Outsiders
Spirit Magic
Spell Resistance: No; see text

This spell wards a creature from attacks by evil creatures, from mental control, and from summoned creatures. It creates a magical barrier around the subject at a distance of 1 foot. The barrier moves with the subject and has three major effects.
First, the subject gains a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves. Both these bonuses apply against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures.
Second, the barrier blocks any attempt to possess the warded creature (by a magic jar attack, for example) or to exercise mental control over the creature (including enchantment (charm) effects and enchantment (compulsion) effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person). The protection does not prevent such effects from targeting the protected creature, but it suppresses the effect for the duration of the protection from evil effect. If the protection from evil effect ends before the effect granting mental control does, the would-be controller would then be able to mentally command the controlled creature. Likewise, the barrier keeps out a possessing life force but does not expel one if it is in place before the spell is cast. This second effect works regardless of alignment.
Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good summoned creatures are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.
Material Component: A little powdered silver with which you trace a 3-foot -diameter circle on the floor (or ground) around the creature to be warded.

Ray of Cold
Elemental Magic [Air, Cold, Water]
Effect: Ray

You create a blast of cold air that deals 1d6 points of cold damage if it hits a target.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, this spells damage increases by 1d6.

Ray of Electricity

You create a blast of lightning that deals 1d6 points of electricity damage if it hits a target.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, this spells damage increases by 1d6.

Ray of Fire
Elemental Magic [Fire]

You create a blast of fire that deals 1d6 points of fire damage if it hits a target.

Read Thoughts
Spirit Magic [Mind-Affecting]
Components: V, S, F
Area: Cone-shaped emanation centered on you
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level (D)

You know the surface thoughts of the mind of any creature in the area that fails a Will save. A target that succeeds on its save is not affected by this casting of the spell, even if it leaves the area and then reenters the area before the duration expires.
Creatures of animal intelligence have simple, instinctual thoughts that you can pick up. If you read the thoughts of a creature with an Intelligence of 26 or higher (and at least 10 points higher than your own Intelligence score), you are stunned for 1 round and the spell ends. This spell does not let you pinpoint the location of an affected mind if you don't have line of sight to the subject.
Each round, you can turn to use this spell in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Remove Affliction
Creation Magic [Healing]
Level: Mage 3, Priest 2
Targets: Creature touched
Spell Points: Mage 5, Priest3

This spell removes and natural and magical disease or parasite from which the subject suffers. It does not heal any damage already caused. Subjects that are poisoned or paralyzed immediately make a new saving throw with a +4 bonus against any poison or paralysis effect,
Augment: If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spell automatically neutralizes any poison in the subjects body in addition to the spells normal effect.

Remove Fear
Spirit Magic [Mind-Affecting]
Targets: One creature
Duration: 10 minutes; see text
Spell Points: Mage 3, Priest1

You instill courage in the subject, granting it a +4 morale bonus against fear effects for 10 minutes. If the subject is under the influence of a fear effect when receiving the spell, that effect is suppressed for the duration of the spell.
Augment: For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spell can affect an additional target. Any additional target cannot be more than 15 feet from another target of the spell.

Resist Energy
Creation Magic

The subject of this spell gains resistance 10 against acid, cold, electricity, or fire, chosen at the time of casting.
The energy resistance provided by this spell increases to 20 points at caster level 9th, and to its maximum of 30 at 13th level. The spell protects equipment as well.
1. If you spend four additional spell points, the subject gains resistance to all the listed energy types, rather than just one.
2. If you spend four additional spell points, you can cast this spell as an immediate action.

Restoration
Creation Magic (Healing)
Level: Priest 2, Mage 3
Casting Time: 3 rounds

Restoration dispels any magical effects reducing one of the subjects ability scores or cures 1d4 points of temporary ability damage to one of the subjects ability scores. It also eliminates any fatigue suffered by the character, and improves an exhausted condition to fatigued. It does not restore permanent ability drain unless augmented.
1. If you spend 4 additional spell points, this spell also dispels negative levels and restores one experience level to a creature who has had a level drained. The drained level is restored only if the time since the creature lost the level is equal to or less than one day per caster level. A character who has a level restored by restoration has exactly the minimum number of experience points necessary to restore him or her to his or her previous level. This augment does not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death.
2. If you spend 4 additional spell points, this spell cures all temporary ability damage, and it restores all points permanently drained from a single ability score (your choice if more than one is drained). It also eliminates any fatigue or exhaustion suffered by the target.
3. If you spend 6 additional spell points, this spell restores one negative level, as long as the time since the creature lost the level is no more than one week per spell point.

See Invisibility
Spirit Magic

You can see any objects or beings that are invisible within your range of vision, as well as any that are ethereal, as if they were normally visible. Such creatures are visible to you as translucent shapes, allowing you easily to discern the difference between visible, invisible, and ethereal creatures.
The spell does not reveal the method used to obtain invisibility. It does not reveal illusions or enable you to see through opaque objects. It does not reveal creatures who are simply hiding, concealed, or otherwise hard to see.
Material Component: A pinch of talc and a small sprinkling of powdered silver.

Shadow Cloak
Entropy Magic [Darkness]

This spell cloaks you in a shroud of shadows, distorting your outline and darkening the area around you. This distortion grants you concealment (opponents have a 20% miss chance). You can pick up or drop objects, easily reaching through the shroud. Anything you hold is enveloped by the shroud. Likewise, you can engage in melee, make ranged attacks, and cast spells without hindrance.
Opponents that cannot see the subject ignore the spell’s effect (though fighting an unseen opponent carries penalties of its own).
Augment: For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spell can affect an additional target.

Sleep
Entropy Magic (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Range: 20 ft.
Area: Creatures within a 10-ft.-radius emanation centered on a point in space

A sleep spell causes a magical slumber to come upon 4 Hit Dice of creatures. Creatures with the fewest HD are affected first. Among creatures with equal HD, those who are closest to the spells point of origin are affected first. Hit Dice that are not sufficient to affect a creature are wasted.
Sleeping creatures are helpless. Slapping or wounding awakens an affected creature, but normal noise does not. Awakening a creature is a standard action (an application of the aid another action).
Sleep does not target unconscious creatures, constructs, elves, or undead creatures.
1. For every additional spell point you spend, this spell affects one additional HD worth of creatures.
2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the spells duration increases to 1 minute/level.
3. For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spells range (not area) increases by 5 feet.
4. If you spend 2 additional spell points, you can cast this spell as a standard action.

Slow
Entropy Magic
Targets: Five creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart

An affected creature moves and attacks at a drastically slowed rate. A slowed creature can take only a single move action or standard action each turn, but not both (nor may it take full-round actions).
Additionally, it takes a -1 penalty on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves. A slowed creature moves at half its normal speed (round down to the next 5- foot increment), which affects the creatures jumping distance as normal for decreased speed.
Multiple slow effects don't stack.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, this spell can affect an additional creature.

Speak with Dead
Spirit Magic [Language-Dependent]
Level: Priest 3
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 10 ft.
Target: One dead creature
Saving Throw: No

You grant the semblance of life and intellect to a corpse, allowing it to answer several questions that you put to it. You may ask up to 5 questions. Unasked questions are wasted if the duration expires. The corpses knowledge is limited to what the creature knew during life, including the languages it spoke (if any). Answers are usually brief, cryptic, or repetitive.
If the corpse has been subject to speak with dead within the past week, the new spell fails. You can cast this spell on a corpse that has been deceased for any amount of time, but the body must be mostly intact to be able to respond. A damaged corpse may be able to give partial answers or partially correct answers, but it must at least have a mouth in order to speak at all.
This spell does not let you actually speak to the person (whose soul has departed). It instead draws on the imprinted knowledge stored in the corpse. The partially animated body retains the imprint of the soul that once inhabited it, and thus it can speak with all the knowledge that the creature had while alive. The corpse, however, cannot learn new information.
Indeed, it can't even remember being questioned.
This spell does not affect a corpse that has been turned into an undead creature.
Augment: For every 4 additional spell points you spend, you can ask one additional question.

Spell Ward
Spirit Magic
Area: 5-ft.-radius sphere centered on you
Saving Throw: No

This spell creates a spherical shield centered on you. Creatures and objects can freely pass through the shield, but any time a spell or spell-like ability passes through it, the caster has to succeed on a DC 18 caster level check or the spell dissipates harmlessly.
1. For every additional spell point you spend, the DC increases by 1.
2. If you spend 2 additional spell points, the radius of the spell increases to 10 ft. This does not increase the DC on caster level checks.

Stinking Cloud
Entropy Magic
Effect: Cloud spreads in 20-ft. radius, 20 ft. high
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates; see text

Stinking cloud creates a bank of fog like that created by fog spell, except that the vapors are nauseating. Living creatures in the cloud become nauseated. This condition lasts as long as the creature is in the cloud and for 1d4+1 rounds after it leaves. (Roll separately for each nauseated character.) Any creature that succeeds on its save but remains in the cloud must continue to save each round on your turn.

Suggestion
Spirit Magic (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting, Language-Dependent]
Components: V, M
Duration: 1 hour/level or until completed; see text

You influence the actions of the target creature by suggesting a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two). The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature to do some obviously harmful act automatically negates the effect of the spell.
The suggested course of activity can continue for the entire duration. If the suggested activity can be completed in a shorter time, the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do. You can instead specify conditions that will trigger a special activity during the duration. If the condition is not met before the spell duration expires, the activity is not performed.
A very reasonable suggestion causes the save to be made with a penalty (such as -1 or -2).
Material Component: A snakes tongue and either a bit of honeycomb or a drop of sweet oil.
1. For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spell can affect an additional target. Any additional target cannot be more than 15 feet from another target of the spell.
2. If you spend 4 additional spell points, the duration increases to 1 day/level and you can delay the suggestion from taking effect until a set of specified circumstances triggers it. The target makes a single Will saving throw when the spell is cast and does not get a second saving throw when the suggestion is triggered.

Summon Spirit
Creation (summoning)
Effect: One summoned spirit

This spell summons one 1st-level spirit that attacks your enemies. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. As a free action, you can mentally direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions. The spirit acts normally on the last round of the spells duration and dissipates at the end of its turn.
Augment: For every 2 additional spell points you spend, the level of the spirit increases by one.

Vampiric Touch
Blood Magic
Level: Blood 3
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous/1 hour; see text

You must succeed on a melee touch attack. Your touch deals 3d6 points of damage. You gain temporary hit points equal to the damage you deal. However, you can't gain more than the subject's current hit points +10, which is enough to kill the subject. The temporary hit points disappear 1 hour later.
Augment: For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spells damage increases by 1d6.

Vulnerability to Energy
Entropy Magic

The subject of this spell takes one and a half times as much damage as normal from any spells or effects that deal acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage.

Vulnerability to Weapons
Entropy Magic

The subject of this spell loses all Damage Reduction from armor, natural armor, or other sources while the spell is in effect.

Yora
2013-02-08, 10:50 AM
Spells (continued)

Wall of Fire
Elemental Magic [Fire]
Effect: Opaque sheet of flame up to 20 ft. long/level or a ring of fire with a radius of up to 5 ft. per two levels; either form 20 ft. high
Duration: Concentration + 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None, reflex partial; See text

One side of the wall, selected by you, sends forth waves of heat, dealing 2d4 points of fire damage to creatures within 10 feet.
The wall deals this damage when it appears and on your turn each round to all creatures in the area. In addition, the wall deals 7d6 points of fire damage to any creature passing through it, with no saving throw. The wall deals double damage to undead creatures. If you evoke the wall so that it appears where creatures are, each creature in the area is allowed a reflex save. On a successful save, the creature is shunted to the nearest empty space, taking 1d6 points of fire damage for every five feet so traveled (but never more than the damage dealt to creatures passing through it) On a failed save, the creature takes the full brunt of the wall, and takes damage as if passing through it.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, this spell deals an additional 1d6 points of damage to creatures passing trough it.

Wall of Ice
Elemental Magic [Cold, Water]
Effect: Ice wall whose area consists of up to seven 5-foot squares (S)
Saving Throw: See text

This spell creates a wall of ice that merges into adjoining surfaces. A wall of ice is 1 inch thick per caster level and composed of up to seven 5-foot squares, which must join one another. You can double the walls area by halving its thickness. The wall cannot be conjured so that it occupies the same space as a creature or another object.
You can create a wall of ice in almost any shape you desire. The wall created need not be vertical, nor rest upon any firm foundation; however, it must merge with and be solidly supported by existing stone. It can be used to bridge a chasm, for instance, or as a ramp. For this use, if the span is more than 20 feet, the wall must be arched and buttressed. This requirement reduces the spells area by half. The wall can be crudely shaped to allow crenellations, battlements, and so forth by likewise reducing the area.
Walking along the vertical surface of a wall of ice requires a DC 10 balance check. Climbing up a wall of ice follows normal rules for climbing, with a +5 modifier to the DC for the surface being slippery. Like any other solid wall, this one can be destroyed by a disintegrate spell or by normal means such as breaking and chipping. Each 5-foot square of wall has 3 hit points per inch of thickness. Its hardness is 0.
Creatures can hit the wall automatically. A section Figure 10: Gnome Wizard readies Wall of Force to protect himself against charging Fighter of wall whose hit points drop to 0 is breached. If a creature tries to break through the wall with raw strength rather than attacks, the DC for the Strength check is 22.
It is possible, but difficult, to trap mobile opponents within or under a wall of ice, provided the wall is shaped so it can hold the creatures. Creatures can avoid entrapment with successful Reflex saves. The wall is crystal clear, and does not block line of sight (although spot checks taken through the wall take a -2 penalty). Noticing the wall is a DC 0 spot check. The wall does block line of effect.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, you get an additional 5-foot square of wall you can place, and the strength check DC required to burst through it increases by 1.

Wall of Stone
Elemental Magic [Earth]
Level: Mage 5
Effect: Stone wall whose area consists of up to nine 5-foot squares (S)
Spell Points: 9

This spell works like Wall of Ice, except as noted here.
• A wall of stone is 1 inch thick per two caster levels.
• No balance checks are required to remain stable on a stone wall, and climbers are not at a particular disadvantage.
• Each 5-foot square of stone wall has 15 hit points per inch of thickness. Its hardness is 8. The DC for a Strength check to break through it is 30.
• Stone walls are opaque, and block line of sight.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, you get an additional 5-foot square of wall you can place, and the strength check DC required to burst through it increases by 1.

Wall of Thorns
Creation Magic
Level: Priest 5
Effect: Wall of thorny brush, up to nine 10-ft. cubes(S)
Spell Points: 9

Any creature forced into or attempting to move through a wall of thorns takes slashing damage per round of movement equal to 25 minus the creatures AC (minimum 0). Dexterity and dodge bonuses to AC do not count for this calculation.
You can make the wall as thin as 5 feet thick, which allows you to shape the wall as a number of 10-by-10-by-5-foot blocks equal to twice your caster level. This has no effect on the damage dealt by the thorns, but any creature attempting to break through takes that much less time to force its way through the barrier.
Creatures can force their way slowly through the wall by making a Strength check as a full-round action. For every 5 points by which the check exceeds 20, a creature moves 5 feet (up to a maximum distance equal to its normal land speed). Of course, moving or attempting to move through the thorns incurs damage as described above. A creature trapped in the thorns can choose to remain motionless in order to avoid taking any more damage.
Any creature within the area of the spell when it is cast takes damage as if it had moved into the wall and is caught inside. In order to escape, it must attempt to push its way free, or it can wait until the spell ends.
Creatures with the ability to pass through magically overgrown areas unhindered can pass through a wall of thorns at normal speed without taking damage.
A wall of thorns can be breached by slow work with edged weapons. Chopping away at the wall creates a safe passage 1 foot deep for every 10 minutes of work. Fire burns a 10-foot cube of it away in 10 minutes.
Despite its appearance, a wall of thorns is not actually a living plant, and thus is unaffected by spells that affect plants.
Augment: For every additional spell point you spend, you can create a wall with an area of one additional 5-foot square, and the damage dealt by the spell increases by 1.

Water Breathing
Creation Magic
Targets: Creatures touched
Duration: 2 hours/level; see text

The transmuted creatures can breathe water as easily as air. Divide the duration evenly among all the creatures you touch.

Weakness
Entropy Magic
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates

The subject gains a -2 penalty to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution.
1. For every 2 additional spell points you spend, this spell affects one additional target.
2. If you spend 4 additional spell points, the penalties to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution increase to -4.

Web
Creation Magic (Creation)
Effect: Web between two anchors
Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text

The web you create must be anchored to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points or else it collapses upon itself and disappears. The two anchor points must be within 40-foot of each other, making that the maximum length of the web. The web extends 15 feet down from the anchoring points.
To determine the webs ground area, draw a line between the two anchors. The web occupies all squares crossed by that line.
Anyone in the effects area when the spell is cast must make a Reflex save. If this save succeeds, the creature escapes, and is shunted to the nearest empty space (if multiple squares are equally valid, the creature chooses which square it ends up in).
If the save fails, the creature is immobilized and can't move from its space, but can break loose by spending a full round action and making a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 25 Escape Artist check (if the creature attempting to escape succeeds by 4 or more, the square of webs the creature occupied is destroyed).
Once loose, the creature ends up in the nearest empty square, as if it had succeeded on the initial reflex save.
If you have web between you and an opponent, it provides cover.
The strands of a web spell are extremely flammable. A magic flaming sword can slash them away as easily as a hand brushes away cobwebs, automatically destroying a 5x5-foot square of the webs with a single attack. Any fire can set the webs alight and burn away a square in 1 round. All creatures Immobilized within a square of flaming webs take 2d4 points of fire damage from the flames. Each square of webs has 20 hit points and hardness 5 (slashing weapons ignore this hardness). Each square can be burst with a DC 24 Strength check.

Yora
2013-02-09, 01:49 PM
Stunts

Stunts are a simple system from Iron Heroes that can easily be added to pretty much any d20 game. Stunts allow characters to use their Skills to add improvised actions to their attacks without any new feats being required, which makes it perfect for Heroes of the Wild Lands. The options are almost limitless.

It is also something where the plain warrior class can shine. Warriors get a +1 bonus for every 2 levels to skill checks in trained skills when performing a stunt. Berserkers, hunters, and thieves get a +1 bonus for every 3 levels.

The first step of performing a stunt is comming up with an idea, that could be almost anything: Throwing a vase at the enemies face while you charge him, push an enemy over a railing, kick over a chair to make your opponent stumble. Anything you can think of and that the GM considers plausible. The player suggests which of his characters skills he wants to use, but the GM can override him if the skill seems inappropriate for the action, and also sets the DC for the skill check.

Stunts mostly work similar to special attacks like tripping or disarming, but are much more open ended. If an opponent makes an attack roll to counter a stunt, this represents his combat experience and means that he sees the attack comming and can avoid it without making a saving throw or anything like that. The modifiers gained from these stunts are always circumstance modifiers.

Attack Stunt (Full Attack)
As a Full Attack action, you perform a stunt and a single attack. First you make your skill check which is countered by the target either with an appropriate skill check of its own or a basic attack roll. If your skill check is higher, your attack gains either a +1 bonus to hit or a +2 bonus to damage. If the target beats your skill check or there is a tie, you make your attack without benefitting from this stunt. If you use Acrobatics or Climb, you can move half your movement speed as part of the Full Attack action.
You could use Acrobatics to jump at your enemy from a higher position, tumble to slide between his feet, use Climb to pull yourself up a larger enemies back to stab at his neck, or make an attack role to throw a vase at his face.

Disrupting Attack (Full Attack)
Chose one of the targets special abilities you want to disrupt. As a Full Attack action you make a either a single attack roll or a skill check. The result of this roll -10 is the DC for a saving throw the target has to make. If the saving throw is a failure, the target can not use its special ability for the next round or the round does not count towards the cooldown period of an ability is has recently used. If you made an attack roll with a weapon or unarmed attack, it needs to be a hit and deal at least 1 point of damage to the target, or the stunt automatically fails.
You could kick sand into the eyes of a basilisk, use or punch a mage in the throat.

Inflict Penalty (Standard Action)
As a standard action, you do something to confuse or impair your enemy for a short while. You can chose between reducing the targets attack bonus, AC, or a Skill modifier for 1 round. You perform a skill check which your target counters with either a skill check or an attack roll, whichever is most apprpriate. If you beat the targets roll, it gets a -2 penalty for one round.
If you take a -2 penalty to your roll, the duration of the effect increases by 1 round. You can apply this penalty as many times as you want.

Defense Bonus (Move Action)
You use a distraction that makes it difficult for one enemy to attack you. If your skill check beats your opponents skill check or attack roll, you get a +2 bonus to AC against any attacky by that opponent for 1 round.
If you take a -2 penalty to your roll, the bonus to AC increases by +1 . You can apply this penalty as many times as you want.

Save Bonus (Move Action)
Use one of your skills to give yourself an edge against the enemies special attacks. By making a DC 20 skill check, you gain a +2 bonus of your saving throws against the specified special attack until the start of your next turn.
For every 5 points by which you exceed the DC of 20, the benefit increases by +1.

Improved Speed (Special)
Use a Strength or Dexterity-based Skill check with a DC of 20 to increase your movement speed during your turn by 5 feet. For every 5 points you exceed the DC of 20, you gain additional 5 feet of movement. For example, you could use Acrobatics to jump over a railing instead of running down the stairs, or use a Climb check to slide down a steep slope.

Now these are all still quite close to the original Iron Heroes rules and might require some tweaking. If you have any thoughts on this, please share.

---

Skills (Update)
As of now, you don't get any bonus to trained skills from high intelligence and the only thing Intellignce really does is improving Knowledge skills However, there aren't that many skills for thieves to begin with, so changing that requires some other tweaking as well.

At 1st level, you can use your trained skills slots to either normal (+3) or double train (+6) any of your class skills. The human bonus skill and the Skill Training feat can be used to train a class skill, a cross-class skill, or increase a normally trained class skill to double trained.
At 4th level, skills can be tripple trained to increase the bonus to +9.
At 8th level, skills can be quadruple trained for a bonus of +12.

With this, skill modifiers could be +2 higher than normal on 1st and 4th level, and +1 higher at 2nd, 5th, and 8th level. (Compared to Skill Ranks). That's not really much of a difference so I think it shouldn't cause any trouble.

Yora
2013-02-18, 05:58 PM
A small change to Combat:

If any character or creature takes a normal movement and a standard action, they can split their movement to move both before and after the action. This makes the feats Spring Attack, Shot on the Run, and Ride-by Attack redundant.

If enemies are making hit and run attacks against a character, they trigger an Attack of Opportunity each time.
If the attacker has reach, the defender can ready an action to move into a position from which he can make an attack of opportunity, then the attacker finishes his movement. Also, if the attacker uses Tumble to avoid attacks of opportunity, the defender can attack him with a readied action.

urkthegurk
2013-02-18, 09:30 PM
You could give demons immunity to immune to the nausea and sickened conditions, and sleep effects. Seems legit. On their own, none of these match 'mind' things, but together... they still don't entirely, but demons are tough as it is, why make 'em invincible? This set of immunities just makes 'em tougher.

Yora
2013-02-19, 06:46 AM
Hehe, wrong thread. I posted that question here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14731820&postcount=53). :smallbiggrin:

But this is where crunch and fluff blend into each other, so it's not entirely misplaced here.
I actually quite like the idea. Demons already inhabit bodies that they have warped beyond recognition. They should laugh at such things as feeling sick or tired, they run on pure willpower and magic alone.

urkthegurk
2013-02-19, 09:58 AM
Hehe, wrong thread. I posted that question here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14731820&postcount=53). :smallbiggrin:

Ooops.

But this is where crunch and fluff blend into each other, so it's not entirely misplaced here.
I actually quite like the idea. Demons already inhabit bodies that they have warped beyond recognition. They should laugh at such things as feeling sick or tired, they run on pure willpower and magic alone.

Rage-hate machines don't get sleepy. And the only thing they get sick of is NOT killing things.

Yora
2013-02-19, 01:31 PM
Phew... Even with the simplified Skill Slot system, asigning and calculating Skills is still 50% of monster creation. So many things to keep track off.

These, to be precise:
{table]Class Skill|+3
Speed 20 ft.|-4 Acrobatics (jump)
Speed 40 ft.|+4 Acrobatics (jump)
Speed 50 ft.|+8 Acrobatics (jump)
Climb Speed|+8 Climb
Fly Speed (clumsy)|-8 Fly
Fly Speed (poor)|-4 Fly
Fly Speed (good)|+4 Fly
Fly Speed (perfect)|+8 Fly
Fine size|+8 Fly|+16 Stealth|-8 CMB
Diminutive size|+6 Fly|+12 Stealth|-4 CMB
Tiny size|+4 Fly|+8 Stealth|-2 CMB
Small size|+2 Fly| +4 Stealth|-1 CMB
Large size|-2 Fly|-4 Stealth|+1 CMB
Huge|-4 Fly|-8 Stealth|+2 CMB
Gargantuan|-6 Fly|-12 Stealth|+4 CMB
Colossal|-8 Fly|-16 Stealth|+8 CMB
Swim Speed|+8 Swim
More than two legs|+2 per leg CMB against Trip
Grab|+4 CMB (grapple)[/table]

Right now, I am only writing down the number of Skill Slots and do all the number crunching at the end.
Any modifiers that are still missing on that list?

Yora
2013-02-21, 11:03 AM
In Pathfinder, you can ignore any item creation prerequisite to increase the DC by +5, except for the item creation feat.
As a little change, the item creation feat can be ignored for an increase of +10, and in fact they don't exist at all.

Taking 10, using masterwork tools (+2), having an assistant (+2), and at least basic training in Spellcraft as a class skill (+6) makes getting a 20 on the Spellcraft check to finish an item guaranteed.

DC 20 would be the base DC for a Caster Level 5th magic item.
Increase Spellcraft to double trained and maybe have a 14 in Intelligence and you can safely make any magic item with DC 25. Which would be a CL 10th item or making a CL 5th item while ignoring another prerequisite.
Get tripple training and have an 18 in intelligence, and you can make CL 10th items while ignoring one prerequisite, or a CL 5th items while ignoring two prerequisites.

Yora
2013-02-21, 01:29 PM
Behold!

I have a first "beta-version" of the first two part of a compiled pdf.
Download Basics, Races, and Classes (http://barbaripedia.eu/downloads/hotwl_f1_v01.pdf)
Skills and Feats (http://barbaripedia.eu/downloads/hotwl_f2_v01.pdf)

It contains all the classes as well as the major races for my own Ancient Lands campaign setting.

Sections that are highlited with that pleasant red marker still need to be rewritten, but are almost entirely pure fluff.
Sections that are grey are copied directly from the PF SRD and practically unchanged.
Everything else is now pretty much open to peer review. And comments, corrections, or pointers towards unclear sections and spelling errors are highly welcome.

Yora
2013-02-23, 10:26 AM
With only two spellcasting classes and almost all spells appearing on boths classes spell lists, I am considering forgetting about spell lists alltogether. Midnight and Conan d20 don't have them either, and in the Dragon Age setting, there is no clear differentiation between wizards and shamans at all (priests don't use spells, since magic is devil-stuff).

However, this reduces the difference between mages and priests to slightly different class skills, a different spellcasting Ability score, BAB and hit points.
Though I want to keep the game simple, I think some special mechanics might be required for each class.

---

Mages Casting in Armor
Armor check penalties are too complicated. But with a spell point system, they are easy to replace.

If a mage is wearing light armor or a light shield, the spell point cost for all spells increases by 1. He still can not spend more spell points than his caster level.
If he wears medium armor or a heavy shield, the cost increases by 2, and if he wears heavy armor, the increase is 3 additional spell points.

With the Arcane Armor Training feat, a mage can use a swift action to decrease the penalty by 1. With the Arcane Armor Mastery feat, the mage can use a swift action to reduce the penalty by 2.
If a mage has the still spell feat, he can expend a magic surge (psionic focus) and cast a spell with no penalty at all.

Sho
2013-02-23, 10:46 AM
I do think that there is one thing we both agree on, and it is that ten levels are roughly easier to balance around than twenty in total.

I admire what you have done, but I think I side with Djinn-In-Tonic on the mechanical side.

Still, keep it up, it's an interesting thing to read.

scarmiglionne4
2013-02-23, 11:44 AM
Mages Casting in Armor
Armor check penalties are too complicated. But with a spell point system, they are easy to replace.

If a mage is wearing light armor or a light shield, the spell point cost for all spells increases by 1. He still can not spend more spell points than his caster level.
If he wears medium armor or a heavy shield, the cost increases by 2, and if he wears heavy armor, the increase is 3 additional spell points.

With the Arcane Armor Training feat, a mage can use a swift action to decrease the penalty by 1. With the Arcane Armor Mastery feat, the mage can use a swift action to reduce the penalty by 2.
If a mage has the still spell feat, he can expend a magic surge (psionic focus) and cast a spell with no penalty at all.

What about having armor simply reduce the maximum available spell points?

Yora
2013-02-23, 12:06 PM
That would get complicated when you remove the armor.
You put on the armor and take it off immediately, do you have lost spell points?
Or you run out of spell points and take your armor off, do you suddenly regain some?

Don't think that would work well.

scarmiglionne4
2013-02-23, 12:53 PM
That would get complicated when you remove the armor.
You put on the armor and take it off immediately, do you have lost spell points?
Or you run out of spell points and take your armor off, do you suddenly regain some?

Don't think that would work well.

I would say if you put on armor and cast a spell while wearing it you will have that maximum spell point value until you rest. Taking it off will not help until you have rested.

You can play armor dress-up all you like, but as soon as you cast a spell wearing medium armor for example, you have that reduced maximum all day or until you rest.

I was thinking each level of armor determines you maximum as if you were a certain amount of levels lower. Heavy=caster level -3, Medium=caster level -2, Light=caster level -1.

Yora
2013-02-23, 05:29 PM
That might work from a game design perspective, but it would be hard to find a reason for it in-game. I think it would feel rather arbitrary without and in-universe effect that corresponds to the mechanic. I don't think it really works in this situation.

Furthermore, I think I apply the same penalty to priests as well, not just mages. Unlike D&D clerics, they aren't meant to wear heavy armor.
Also, while the origin of arcane spell failure was justified with the gestures, there really aren't that many spells that don't have somatic components and it would be an added complication to keep track of those. So the penalty simply applies to all spells.

I also finished an early version of the spells chapter. Download (http://barbaripedia.eu/downloads/hotwl_f4_v01.pdf)

Yora
2013-02-24, 09:46 AM
A question to the people who are proponents of lots of class features and no dead levels ever:

As I see classes, they are pre-packed progressions for BAB, hit poins, and saving throws.
Everything else should be a thing of personal customization to make your character fit your vision of the kind of person it is.
The Hunter class get's the "tracking package", the Berseker class the "rage package", and the Thief class the "skill monkey" package right out of the door, the rest is left to customization by skills and feats.

Do you feel that there are certain things that really would have to be available as customization options that aren't there yet? What things would that be? Any specific feats or class features, that are missing?

From my personal perspective, I see the need for a new great trick at every level if you are playing a tactical dice game and want to be challenged in planning your character and overcoming enemies in a smart way.
But in a game about exploring an environment and interacting with the people, in which combat is a secondary issue that might not come up that often or in every play session, I don't really see much of a point in that myself.

scarmiglionne4
2013-02-24, 11:42 AM
A question to the people who are proponents of lots of class features and no dead levels ever:

As I see classes, they are pre-packed progressions for BAB, hit poins, and saving throws.
Everything else should be a thing of personal customization to make your character fit your vision of the kind of person it is.
The Hunter class get's the "tracking package", the Berseker class the "rage package", and the Thief class the "skill monkey" package right out of the door, the rest is left to customization by skills and feats.

Do you feel that there are certain things that really would have to be available as customization options that aren't there yet? What things would that be? Any specific feats or class features, that are missing?

From my personal perspective, I see the need for a new great trick at every level if you are playing a tactical dice game and want to be challenged in planning your character and overcoming enemies in a smart way.
But in a game about exploring an environment and interacting with the people, in which combat is a secondary issue that might not come up that often or in every play session, I don't really see much of a point in that myself.

I just want to start out by saying this stuff is so close to the spirit of much of what I am I currently working on I have bookmarked this thread.

I don't think "dead levels" are an issue. It seems many of the players that frequent these forums are too much about the crunch and the tactical war game aspects of the game that D&D has become.

I don't think classes should be the main source for special abilities. You are letting players take a feat every 2 levels instead of every three. I think that is more than enough to balance out any so-called dead levels there may be.

I will go a step further and say that I don't think players should be multi-classing to achieve a satisfying level of customization. Once again. feats every two levels works great for this. Every character should not be the greatest (insert profession) that ever lived.

You are trying to put the role-playing game back into what has essentially become Gauntlet: The Tabletop Game. I respect that. As I have said, I am attempting something similar.

Table-top role-playing is not a video game. It should not be played like one and it should not be designed like one, unless such design decisions are made to make the game play better.

I for one like where you are headed with this, even if I don't agree with every aspect of the rule set thus far. Keep up the good work.

Yora
2013-02-24, 12:48 PM
3.5e and PF seem to be the only RPGs I know that are really big about combat optimization. Both in style as well as in 70 base classes, 180 prestige classes, 3000 feats, and 1600 spells big. Pathfinder is a bit more compact, but completely embraced the spirit of it on day 1.
Personally, I am quite a big fan of multiclassing. A ranger/rogue would be a much better idea than adding another scout class. Or a sorcerer/rogue with illusion spells instead of a beguiler. If you want to introduce new options that allow players to play a scout or a beguiler, then make these new options available to ranger/rogue characters or sorcerer/rogue characters.

Though when I do look at a 3.0 ranger or the Wheel of Time RPG classes, I do indeed see them being bland. Only Favored enemies and nothing else ever (except those sad excuses of spells) really isn't great. Three levels of ranger to max out Wilderness Lore and Knowledge (nature), and take levels in fighter and rogue for everything else. You get a lot more skills and only just slightly lower BAB and hit points. That's bad. On the other hand you have some pathfinder classes that have lots of new stuff every level. Also bad.

However, if there is something that a character in fiction should be able to do, I want that to be possible in the game as well. So if there are any things that are reasonably iconic, but just not doable by the rules as written, I think I would want to add them in some way.
Though in my experience, Skills and Combat Maneuvers take care of almost all of that.

Speaking of which, I am pondering increasing the number of Skill Slots. As it is know, characters get on average 1 skill rank per level, significantly fewer than in PF. But even so, you get quite impressve skill modifiers pretty quickly.
+2 ability modifier, +3 from one skill slot, +3 from class skill and you're at +8 at first level. That means your skill checks will fall into the 9 to 28 range, and there are not that many skill DCs over 20.
I think I have to write up a couple more NPCs to see how the numbers really end up in practice.

Actually, screw that. I came up with the idea of Skill Slots before I dicided to use PF as a baseline. Using PF skill points seems actually like a lot less confusing and way easier to bookkeep than using slots. When making high level characters or monsters, you simply can max out every skill, no more tracking of which slots where added from which character class and in what order the classes were taken.
So I guess it's PF skill system from here on.
But with 4 Skill Points for Warriors, Priests, and Mages.

Means I have to rewrite all those creature stat blocks I already have, but for this case it's direct copy-paste. And almost everything is still having a placeholder of "Climb 1 Slot" there anyway. :smallbiggrin:

scarmiglionne4
2013-02-24, 02:55 PM
With skills I have consolidated some skills, before I ever looked at a Pathfinder book. And I was going to just do the Maximum Ranks, Limited Choices out of Unearthed Arcana.

One thing I have been struggling with is making going unarmored a viable option. I don't just want armor as DR or a dodge bonus that goes up with level. I want being unarmored to make my character fight better somehow. I would like to see some of your thoughts on that.

What I came up so far with is making Weapon Finesse something anyone can just do. I take it a step further, though. One-handed weapons can be gripped in two hands and used as finesse weapons if the wielder is wearing no armor.

Yora
2013-02-24, 03:08 PM
Background, Reputation, Allegiances, and Followers

This is very much work in progress, but I'd like to hear people oppinions of how it looks so far:

Backgrounds
All characters have to pick a background at character creation. A characters background influences his social standing and also brings with it some direct drawbacks and benefits.

Highborn
Highborns are the aristocracy of the Wild Lands. They are the families with the greatest wealth and power and from their ranks almost all kings, chiefs, and sub-chiefs are chosen.
Highborn Station: As a member of the highborn class, you can expect to recieve accomodations and food for yourself and your companions by the leader of any community you are passing through. This previlege is denied only to enemies of the clan, but even those might be granted hospitality if they are on their way to negotiations with the local chief or king. Most clan leaders make sure that all of their subjects also treat visiting highborn with the respect appropriate to their station. As members of the ruling families, the actions of a highborn have a very high effect on the clans reputation so abusing this previlege might lead to repercussions by your chief, which could include paying for gifts send to the other clan as signs of gratitude for their hospitality.

Clansman
Clansmen are the second highest ranking class in the Wild Lands. They have all the previleges that members of their clans have, and can call on the aid and protection of their fellow clan members. Since they have to take full responsibility for their action before their lord and each lord has to take the responsibility for the actions of his own people, clansmen are usually considered to be more trustworthy and people of honor.
Clan Loyalty: Loyalty towards the members of ones own clan is not based on personal relationships or if one even likes one another, but a matter of survival and safety against hostile clans and raiding bandits. In times of danger, a clansman can always count on the help an protection of his fellow brothers and sisters of the clan. Showing outsiders that the clan does not always stand together as one only makes it a target for enemies who would think they can assault warriors or raid farms without repercussions. When threatened by outsiders, clansmen always stick together, even when at other times they might be trying to kill each other. Allowing outsiders to attack fellow clansmen or even assisting them in it is considered a crime against the clan and could even lead to exile or death if found to be commited for personal gains.
The duties and benefits of this trait also apply to Highborn characters and most Shamans.

Freeman
Freemen are the people that live under the protection of a lord without being full members of his clan. They have none of the rights and previleges shared by clan members, and there are limits how high they can rise within the social hierarchy of a settlement. But if a lord trusts them enough to allow them to live on his clans land, this is good enough for the people of other clans to grant them passage through their lands and access to their markets.
Only in major towns and cities can Freemen rise to true power and fortune. In the lands of clans, they usually can be only free servants at the most.
[No Special Trait yet]

Lowborn
The Lowborn are at the bottom of the social hierarchy. They are the poor laborers and often indebted to servitute to a wealthy clansman or highborn for life. Slaves also belong to the lowborn class.
Common Ground: Life for commoners is pretty much the same everywhere and in all clans, and most commoners are not nearly as commited to their clans and chiefs as the clansmen would wish to believe. Instead, most commoners regard each other as equals regardless of their clans and masters. While commoners are lacking the power and influence of clansmen, they have good chances to find shelter or even a hiding place among commoners of any clan, even hostile ones. Most commoners will be reluctant to extend such favors to any of the commoners companions who are clansmen or even highborn, as it puts them at a much higher risk than sheltering mere commoners nobody really cares about anyway, but some might be persuaded to do so.

Hermit
Hermits are men and women who have forsaken their allegiances to their clans and lords to seek a life dedicated to a higher purpose. While they stand outside of normal society, they are usually highly respected as visitors and guests by people of all social rank.
Free Passage: Hermits live outside the normal rules of society and are respected and wellcome among all social classes. Even if they spend the last night sleeping in a cave or cared for the sick and poor they will not be seen as unfit to be invited into the homes of even the most wealthiest and respected families. Hermits can go everywhere and talk to anyone without any damage to their reputation, and those with sufficient charisma can even get away with refusing the invitations and wishes of chiefs and kings. Hermits are sacred men and women wherever they go and whatever they do, as long as people regard them as sincere in their removal from daily life. A hermit who is seen acting without dignity or being rude and offensive, might very soon lose the respect of people from all classes.

Outcast
Outcasts are the people who live completey outside the societies of the clans and few urban centers. They have been exiled for crimes that are beyond forgiveness or mercy, or are the descendants of those who were considered too violent or treacherous to be allowed to live with the rest of society. When outcasts are discovered, they are usually chased away immediately or even be killed.
Underworld Contacts: As outcasts are always hiding and have to avoid being detected, they are familiar with all the secret signs and customs of the underworld that exist in almost every larger settlement even if most locals are not aware of it. Outcasts can make contact with local smugglers, thieves, and other criminals in any given town or city without putting them on allert and getting potential doors closed in front of them. Outcasts who have gained the trust of any traveling companions of higher status usually have to make the initial contact alone as members of the underworld are always weary of being exposed.

Reputation represents how well a character is known within his homeland and how many people know of his name, status, and deeds. To determine if an NPC recognizes your character, or if your character is familiar with a person he encounters, make a Reputation check. A Reputation check is an Intelligence check or Knowledge skill check to which you add the other characters Reputation score. If you come to a castle and demand to see its lord, the guard would roll 1d20 + his Intelligence modifier + your Reputation score. The DC depends on how far away you are from your home and the lands where you performed your heroic deeds.

{table=head]Location|Reputation check DC
Characters home settlement|5
Settlement neighboring the characters home|10
Characters home territory|20
Character has performed three or more heroic deeds within territory|20
Character has performed one heroic deed within territory|25
Character has performed three or more heroic deed within neighboring territory|25
Character has performed one heroic deed within neighboring territory|30
Territory bordering characters home|35

A characters reputation score is based on his Charisma modifier, his bonus from his class levels, and additional bonuses for any special heroic deeds he has performed.
When an NPC recognizes a player character, his attitude shifts by one degree either to more favorable or less favorable.

Allegiances
Allegiances indicate where a characters loyalties are. A character can have up to three allegiances which can be towards a specific person, an organization, an ideology, or a community. Allegiance replaces alignment as an indicator of how a character would act in certain situations. It does not indicate how a character generally behaves, but serves as a guideline how the character would pick sides, and what ideology or culture is important for him.

If characters share an allegiance, they get a +2 bonus to Reputation checks to recognize each other.
If a character has opposed a faction to which the other character has allegiance, the other character gets a +2 bonus to Reputation checks to recognize the first character.
If a character has performed a heroic deed that opposed a faction to which the other character has allegiance, the other character gets a +5 bonus to Reputation checks to recognize the first character.

Followers
As your reputation increases, you gain a growing number of followers. Followers are utterly loyal to you, effectively having chosen you as their primary allegiance. For followers, working for you is not just a job, but they are loyally serving you and completely stand behind the causes you are championing. Followers can't be bribed and even blackmailing them might be a lot more difficult than with simple paid servants. Followers won't abandon you when you are falling on hard times and they will stick with you rather than searching for a new master when you have difficulties to support them adequately. Only under the most extreme circumstances will a follower abandon his master or even betray him.
The combined number of class levels of all your followers can not exceed your Reputation score and you may not have any followers of a level higher than half your own level. Commoners without class levels count as half a first level character each.
For example, a 4th level clansman warrior with a Charisma score of 12, who has performed one heroic deed to increase his Reputation by +1 would have a Reputation score of 5. He could have two followers of 2nd level and one follower of 1st level, or one follower of 2nd level, one follower of 1st level, and four commoners following him.

Yora
2013-02-24, 03:22 PM
One thing I have been struggling with is making going unarmored a viable option. I don't just want armor as DR or a dodge bonus that goes up with level. I want being unarmored to make my character fight better somehow. I would like to see some of your thoughts on that.

What I came up so far with is making Weapon Finesse something anyone can just do. I take it a step further, though. One-handed weapons can be gripped in two hands and used as finesse weapons if the wielder is wearing no armor.
I'm afraid I am with the hardcore-realism crowd when it comes to these things. In practice, people always chose the maximum amount of protection they can get. If they chose to use lighter armor even though better stuff is available, they do that because they need the added mobility for something else that isn't combat. And quite often that other thing is something that allows them to avoid close range combat alltogether.
Commando units use less armor because they want to be swift and sneaky, tank crews don't use armor because that allows them to squeeze into a freaking tank. Archers don't have heavy armor because it gets in the way with shoting bows and also makes it a lot easier for them to just run away if someone with a pike or a sword gets too close to them.

If you know it will be 1 on 1 combat with bladed weapons, then the maximum amount of armor you can possibly get should always be your choice.

I decided to go with a system somewhat similar to Star Wars Saga:
Every character gets a defense bonus to AC from class levels, which represents their skill at parrying and dodging.
Armor has two benefits: It increases your AC and provides you with damage reduction. You only get either the armor bonus to AC from your armor, or the defense bonus to AC from your class levels, whichever is higher. But in either case you always get the DR from your armor.
By chosing not to wear armor, you lose the damage reduction, but you also get rid of the Armor Check Penalty, which affects Acrobacy, Climb, Stealth, and Swim checks. And I also use the Stunts from Iron Heroes, which make Acrobacy and Climb valuable abilities in combat.
Since it's PB 15/25 without cheese only dedicated Dexterity-Thieves can affort a 18 in Dexterity. So the situation that the Maximum Dexterity bonus to AC actually causes your AC to decrease significantly is very rare.

scarmiglionne4
2013-02-24, 03:26 PM
The Reputation and Allegiances is similar to my Character Paths and Mana system. I base an alternate XP system around it.

I don't particularly like that Reputation requires the rolling of dice. If it is going to be relevant at all I think the DM should just decide whether or not it comes into play in a particular NPC interaction and play it accordingly. I don't like leaving that up to chance. It will just be another roll I would always be fudging.

I don't like followers from a DM standpoint. I think how you are planning to do it is fine. I just wouldn't do it at all. Too many players on the field.

I think drawing followers when a large enough threat arises for a short period of time would be great, but I wouldn't let that be something I would always have to deal with.

scarmiglionne4
2013-02-24, 03:52 PM
I'm afraid I am with the hardcore-realism crowd when it comes to these things. In practice, people always chose the maximum amount of protection they can get. If they chose to use lighter armor even though better stuff is available, they do that because they need the added mobility for something else that isn't combat. And quite often that other thing is something that allows them to avoid close range combat alltogether.
Commando units use less armor because they want to be swift and sneaky, tank crews don't use armor because that allows them to squeeze into a freaking tank. Archers don't have heavy armor because it gets in the way with shoting bows and also makes it a lot easier for them to just run away if someone with a pike or a sword gets too close to them.

If you know it will be 1 on 1 combat with bladed weapons, then the maximum amount of armor you can possibly get should always be your choice.

I decided to go with a system somewhat similar to Star Wars Saga:
Every character gets a defense bonus to AC from class levels, which represents their skill at parrying and dodging.
Armor has two benefits: It increases your AC and provides you with damage reduction. You only get either the armor bonus to AC from your armor, or the defense bonus to AC from your class levels, whichever is higher. But in either case you always get the DR from your armor.
By chosing not to wear armor, you lose the damage reduction, but you also get rid of the Armor Check Penalty, which affects Acrobacy, Climb, Stealth, and Swim checks. And I also use the Stunts from Iron Heroes, which make Acrobacy and Climb valuable abilities in combat.
Since it's PB 15/25 without cheese only dedicated Dexterity-Thieves can affort a 18 in Dexterity. So the situation that the Maximum Dexterity bonus to AC actually causes your AC to decrease significantly is very rare.

I would have to say your thoughts on armor are a pretty big leaning away from Sword & Sorcery.

I don't think what the average person would do is relevant at all because the average person is not Conan of Cimmeria or Cú Chulainn.

Crazy-brave people doing over-the-top stuff is what Sword & Sorcery and romantic literature like the Leatherstocking Tales is all about. The idea that no one else would try to do or maybe be able to what you are doing is part of the fun.

I like the idea of stunts, although I am not familiar with the specifics of it. I don't like point buy because it never seems to work out in my groups. No one is ever satisfied, but seem to accept the way the dice fall a bit better. I will be going with organic ability score from 3.5 DMG for a bit of an old-school character creation style.

Yora
2013-02-24, 09:28 PM
Reputation is intended for "do you know who I am?!" moments, but also as a slightly randomizing factor to see if your enemies are noticing that you are passing through town.
I favor a somewhat half-open world approach, where the adventures only consist of bare bone dungeons and a specific goal for the PCs, but no pre-planned path for how the PCs are goint to accomplish their goal. Getting some local support or finding allies that owe your family or lord favors is an important part for that.

What is still missing is a mechanic to enter Bluff into the whole thing. You could say that you are the youngest nephew of the lord next door, who just returned from his mothers castle to learn leadership with his uncle. People you talk to might remember that they have heard of that nephew, because of his reputation, but never met him im person. So if you bluff well, you can benefit from someone elses Reputation.
In the same way, you could Bluff that you are just a lowly servant when enemies storm the castle and want to take the whole noble family as hostages. I'll see what I come up with tomorrow.

I still like the armor system though. I think the idea of old school S&S is that heroes can pull off insane stunts sometimes, but even they know that it's insane and that they are seriously underprepared.
I think the Defense and Armor system works quite well for that. Having armor is better than not having armor, but if you don't have armor, an experienced warrior is still putting on a really good show.
A 6th level warrior without armor still has AC 16 + Dex, while a 1st level warrior in full chainmail still has only AC 12 + Dex and DR 2/armor.
Now if the 6th level warrior would be wearing the chainmail, he would have AC 16 + Dex plus the DR 2/armor.

Yora
2013-02-25, 01:16 PM
Today, a first look at the bestiary. I think most a conversions and there is barely any fluff yet, but it might give some first impressions.
Download (http://barbaripedia.eu/downloads/hotwl_f5_v01.pdf)

Yora
2013-02-27, 04:25 PM
Now that races, classes, skills, feats, equipment, and spells are all pretty much tied down for a first "beta" and magic items and the bestiary just need more entries added, it's getting time to adress the actual rules of the game.

I'm starting with copying the whole passages from the PRD and as I am doing the first formatting touches, I'm making a list of things I want to change. This isn't final and in many cases I haven't even made a descision what I want to do about it. But some of you might have good ideas to add to these things, so I am posting them here:

Using Yards instead of Feet: Why yards? Meters sound kinda modern and accurate, while yards are still shoddy and old-timey enough to fit the feeling of the game. Yet everyone who is not American or a particularly old-timey Brittain can go by the rule of thumb "one yard is about one meter". That's good enough. Obviously, I won't make a "hard" conversion in which every feet measurement is accurately recalculated into yards. While 5 feet is actually 5/3rd of a yard, I call it "1 yard" and not "2 yards". And both 90 feet and 100 feet will be "30 yards". Similar the spell range "5 feet/2 levels" is converted to "1 yard/level", as the end result is more closer to the original distances, and easy to remember. The original feet measurements are just eyeballed anyway, so it won't do any damage.
No squares: instead everything is done in distances or radii. A Medium creature occupies a space 1 yard in diameter, and threatens the whole space within a 1 yard radius around that space. Precise positioning isn't relevant, a creature either is within the threatened space or it's not. When you position yourself or the GM positions a creature, you just decide if you want to stand within the reach radius or not. If you threaten it, it threatens you. (Also, having picked that up from a police instructor, only four people can gang up on a single person before it gets to crowded and they get into each others way. So it's only four people who can surround a medium character at once, not 8 as on a grid.)
No Broken condition for items: I think it's too much of a hassle. In 10 years of playing the game it never came up and you don't need to remember another set of temporary modifiers. Either the item still has hit points and works as normal, or it has none and doesn't work at all.
No Stunned condition: The same as dazed, except you drop what you hold in your hand. Totally redundant.
No Fascinated condition: As there are no spells that cause it.
No Confused codition: Because I think there are no spells or creatures that cause it, though I still have to check that.
Attacks of Opportunity: Moving out of a creatures threatened radius does provoke one. Using a combat maneuver without the Improved Combat Maneuver feat also does. As does casting a spell. And I think everything else does not. As a rule of thumb, everything for which you would have to lower your weapon also does. Like opening a lock or rummaging through your backpack. The Improved Unarmed Strike feat would instead increase the hit dice for unarmed strike and maybe also give a +1 to unarmed attacks.
Movement during Combat: Everyone can split up movement during their turn as they like. Spring Attack and Ride-By Attack still make you not provoke attacks of opportunity from any enemy you attack and then move out of its threatened space. Shot On the Run becomes redundant.
Removing Immediate actions: The only thing that I can think of in my list of spells and feats that ever has immediate acctions appearing, is the feather fall spell. I think that one can be treated as a swift action that can be done when it's not your turn. For a single case, you don't need a general rule.
Rules for being below 1 hit point get simpler. Way to fidgety with staying conscious and automatically restarting to heal and stabilization checks. I'll see how I can make that easier to remember for the very few times you ever need it.
No bleed damage: Not interesting enough narratively to justify keeping track of it.
Removing temporary hit points? Bit drastic step, but I have only one spell that grants any, and there are no feats or class features that do. For energy draining monsters I come up with something.
Shield bonus to touch AC, not to flat-footed AC: Blocking toxic slime or gushing flames with a shield is what makes them cool. Also, they are way too small to give any real protection if they just hang on your arm at your side and you don't move then to block the attack.
No nonleathal damage with lethal weapons: Not really much of a rules streamlining, but you simply can't do that. You can't hack at people with a sword and only knock them out. Even with a club it's pure luck if he will wake up again or not. So scrap this silliness.
Streamlined situational modifiers to attacks and armor: This will be rewritten to hammer home "the GMs best friend". If you have an advantage, you get +2, if it's a big advantage, you get +4. If you have a disadvantage it's -2, if it's a bif disadvantage it's -4.
Remove Casting Defensively? Now that might cause more problems than it solves. From what I heard, making the concentration check in PF is not as easy as in 3.5e. I have to crunch the numbers a bit before making a descision on that.
Grapple rules based on Star Wars Saga: Those are waaay more easier.
No material components for spells: None of the spells I have have expensive material components and the inexpensive ones are always ignored anyway. So all mention of them, spell component pouches, and the Eshew Material feat are removed.
No Counterspells: Since magic is psionics based, there is no counterspelling. Not that anyone had ever been using it anway.
Adding Stunts from Iron Heroes: A simple system to make a skill roll to get a bonus to your attacks or a penalty to enemy attacks, by describing how you use the environment. Makes "I hit it with a sword" a much more fun with barely anything new to learn.
Price for nonmagic items divided by 10 (and prces listed in silver piece).
Longer lasting ammunition: Arrows, bullets, and darts have a 50% to be reusable on a hit and a 75% on a miss. Javelins and spears are always reusable.
Cheaper poisons: Seriously.
No item creation feats: Instead, the Spellcraft DC for all magic items increases by +10.
Greater item crafting cost. Since crafting gets so easy, the cost is 75% of the end price, not 50%.

Yora
2013-03-02, 02:04 PM
I tied up a first pre-alpha version, which is more of a mockup of copy-pasted PRD texts, that totals at a hefty 177 pages. Which is still less than a third of the Core Rulebook. :smallbiggrin:
Having only half the number of classes, with only half the number of levels and much fewer class features, as well as about half the number of feats and just a fraction the number of spells (roughly 50 as compared to what I think is well over 300) does make a considerable impact.

Working so much with the psionics rules, I now really like the idea of having a wilder class, which would take a role similar to sorcerers. A mage is still mostly based on witches and dark sorcerers, but wilders would be much more normal people who simply have awesome magical powers, a bit like the Dragonshouts from Skyrim.
In the context of the Ancient Lands setting that I am developing at the same time, they might be people possessed or changed by spirits. They could be treated as either being monsters, or people blessed by the local gods of the land and treated as chosen champions.
I'll have to see what I make of that idea.

scarmiglionne4
2013-03-02, 03:38 PM
I tied up a first pre-alpha version, which is more of a mockup of copy-pasted PRD texts, that totals at a hefty 177 pages. Which is still less than a third of the Core Rulebook. :smallbiggrin:
Having only half the number of classes, with only half the number of levels and much fewer class features, as well as about half the number of feats and just a fraction the number of spells (roughly 50 as compared to what I think is well over 300) does make a considerable impact.

Working so much with the psionics rules, I now really like the idea of having a wilder class, which would take a role similar to sorcerers. A mage is still mostly based on witches and dark sorcerers, but wilders would be much more normal people who simply have awesome magical powers, a bit like the Dragonshouts from Skyrim.
In the context of the Ancient Lands setting that I am developing at the same time, they might be people possessed or changed by spirits. They could be treated as either being monsters, or people blessed by the local gods of the land and treated as chosen champions.
I'll have to see what I make of that idea.

Don't you think that goes a little bit against the main idea of your rule-set and setting?

I guess it depends on what you do with it.

Yora
2013-03-02, 06:01 PM
I noticed there is a much easier way to do the same thing. "Practiced Spellcaster"

One level in mage and one feat, and you have 3 spells known at caster level 5th. Most likely with only 2 spell points per day, but there are items that can beef up your spell point reserve.

Edit: Oh wow. I decided to split the whole damn thing as 70 of the 170 pages were devoured by Environment Rules and Magic items. If I can cut this down aggressively to a reasonable 30 pages, I might put it back in, but otherwise I think I keep that a separate document.

Yora
2013-03-09, 01:53 PM
A new version is ready. HotWL a3 (http://barbaripedia.eu/downloads/HotWL_PH_alpha0.3.pdf)
This one is almost done. Everything that is left is completing the conversion to yards and no grid, grapple, and making simpler rules for characters below 1 hp. The rest is pretty much finished.
Yellow text is copied from the PRD and unalterered. Orange text has been chaged or is new, blue text still needs to be rewritten. The yellow and orange parts are basically ready for proofreading. If anyone finds any typos or mistakes, reporting them here would be great.

Ultimate Campaign (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8x64) looks interesting. Too bad it's still almost three months away.

Yora
2013-03-10, 01:18 PM
One thing that still needs to be resolved and which is not simply a matter switching out half-sentences, is character wealth.

I stick with the baseline of "1 silver piece is the daily wage for an untrained hireling". Since those are poor commoners that barely scrape by, I'd say that's enough to feed two people for a day and basically nothing else more. Their homes are small sheds and what little surplus there is all goes into buying new cooking pots and simple closes. 1 silver is what they get paid, not the amount of money they can spend every day. That would be more like a copper.
However, this is not what "common people" have to live. These are the really poor people of towns. Most actually live on self-sustaining farms where life quality is a lot better, but there almost isn't any surplus either.

Based on that, the prieces for common items are almost all way too high. As a first step, most items were cut in price by 10, which includes alchemical substances and spellcasting services. Historically, prices for textiles might actually be a bit low, but I don't feel like researching too deeply into this, as it mostly really doesn't matter.

Prices for armor and weapons were transformed from gold into silver and then halved. Compared to common goods, that actually makes them 5 times more expensive than before. Bows were cut in price by 3. Yes, they could historically be really damn expensive, but I would say those would have been masterwork items.

The idea is that all characters will get access to one or two pieces of masterwork weapons or armor around 4th level and eventually be decked out entirely in masterwork gear around 8th. I think at these levels, magic equipment can still be treated as entirely optional.
However, magic item prices are unaltered. They still cost the same while all nonmagical stuff has been cut by 2.

For scrolls, potions, and wands, I have not decided yet. But I think dividing those by 2, 3, or even 4 might be a good idea.

But the real question is, how to approach wealth by level?
With weapons and armor at half price, WBL could be cut at least by the same amount. But after that characters are not supposed to be decked out in magic bling. Also, the equipment list mostly consists of the more basic stuff, with the really expensive plate armor and greatswords not being available. So I think about maybe cutting it by half again down to one quarter.

What do you think? With prices for equipment cut by half, few magic items, and only the level range from 1st to 10th, would cutting wealth by level and treasure down to one quarter be a good starting point?

Another matter is starting wealth. 1st level character need to start with good equipment and with no hoards of magic gear, much of the starting equipment will stay with the characters for a long time. But since the world of the game is rather low tech, scale armor and chainmail is already at the very top of what a warrior can wish for, and the common weapons are spears, halberds, greatclubs, and battleaxes, which are all rather cheap.
So what I am thinking is to cut starting wealth by 3.
For a warrior, that would be 5d6x30 sp, or about 480sp. That pays for glaive (40 sp), a battleaxe (50 sp), a shortsword (50 sp) a large shield (35 sp), a shortbow (100 sp), and leather scale armor (120 sp) for a total of 395 sp. And that's some really decent equipment for a regular barbarian warrior with almost a 100 sp left. It would also be assumed that he stays with his family or at a castle without having to pay for a room and food. I think that looks about alright.

Staying with WBL / 3, the wealth of a 6th level character would be about 50,000 sp. This allows for +1 armor (12,000 sp), one +1 weapon (23,500 sp), two additional masterwork weapons (3,500 sp each), a masterwork heavy shield (2,000 sp), and a heavy warhose (1,200 sp) for a total of 45,700 sp. And still over 4,000 sp to spare. Enough to pay 100 hirelings for over a year!

Yora
2013-03-13, 08:59 AM
Having done some comparisons, hunters seem by far the weakest class. 2 more skill points than warriors and favored terrain do not come close to the warrior bonus feats in any way.

Adding the Rangers Combat Style feature should be a nice bump.

Mighty_Chicken
2013-03-14, 05:03 PM
Yes, definetively you should add Combat Styles... still, what are combat styles? 2 feats until lvl 10? 3 feats?

The problem I see with your hunter is that it is over specialized. All his special abilities are for tracking and scouting. And he has none of his bonuses when outside his favored terrain - and then again, the bonuses are most for scouting.

This is something I also dislike in the original/PF ranger (too much focus on unreliable features - Favored Enemies and Terrain), but the original ranger at least has minor/medium features that give them survivability and flexibility. Like animal comparion and the spells.

So instead of spending your coins in making the hunter better at fighting, but still worse at it then the warrior, I would strenghten what it is already supposed to be good at - exploration - and at the same time give it a little more combat power. And I mean, companions and spells are just that.

Otherwise, I loved your ideas. The variant rule set you chose is very close to my own. The 2e feeling gives it an extra point.

I'm having a grudge with something though... Special abilities like rage, smite evil and bardic music give something really unique to characters. You simplified rage, and widened its fluff. Why not doing it to smite evil or bardic music, and have them as feats or variant class abilities?

I think PF's smite [something] works a lot like Rage. Substituting some of the thief features, like Backstab or Skill mastery, by Bardic music would be balanced.

I know you're aiming for simplicity and elegancy, but... you know. I like fluffly stuff.

Yora
2013-03-19, 06:21 AM
Fluff is the reason. I am writing the rules with a specific setting in mind and I don't see bardic music and smite evil having a place there.

Revised Health and Damage rules
This one takes a lot of inspiration from Star Wars Saga Edition, but it's basically the normal rules cut down to something much simpler.

Hit Point Damage
When your damage equals your maximum hit points, or your remaining hit points fall to 0 or lower, you fall unconscious.
If your negative hit points are equal to or greater than your Constitution score, you are dead.
Recovering: One minute after falling unconscious, you make a DC 10 Constitution check. If the check is successful, your hit points are set to 1 and you regain consciousness. If you fail your check, you remain unconscious and can make a new check for every additional hour after the last one. If you fail the check by 5 or more, you are dead.
If another character makes a DC 15 Heal check, you no longer die from failing a Constitution check by 5 or more.
Natural Healing: With a full night's rest (8 hours of sleep or more), you recover 1 hit point per character level. Any significant interruption during your rest prevents you from healing that night.
If you undergo complete bed rest for an entire day and night, you recover twice your character level in hit points.
If another character provides long-term care and makes a DC 15 Heal check, you regain twice the amount of hit points from natural healing.

Nonlethal Damage
If your nonlethal damage becomes equal to or greater than your remaining hit points, or your lethal damage and nonlethal damage become equal to your maximum hit points, you fall unconscious.
Recovering: One minute after falling unconscious due to your nonlethal damage being equal or greater to your remaining hit points, you make a DC 10 Constitution check to regain consciousness. If the check is successful, your nonlethal damage is set to your current remaining hit points minus one and regain consciousness. If you fail the check, you can try again after another minute until you regain consciousness. You do not die from failing a Constitution check to regain consciousness if you have any remaining hit points.
Healing Nonlethal damage: You heal nonlethal damage at the rate of 1 hit point per hour per character level. When a spell or ability cures hit point damage, it also removes an equal amount of nonlethal damage.
Any time you heal lethal damage in any way (such as natural healing or healing magic), you also heal an equal amount of nonlethal damage.

Ability Damage
Diseases, poisons, spells, and other abilities can all deal damage directly to your ability scores. This damage does not actually reduce an ability, but it does apply a penalty to the skills and statistics that are based on that ability.
For every 2 points of damage you take to a single ability, apply a –1 penalty to skills and statistics listed with the relevant ability. If the amount of ability damage you have taken equals or exceeds your ability score, you immediately fall unconscious until the damage is less than your ability score. The only exception to this is your Constitution score. If the damage to your Constitution is equal to or greater than your Constitution score, you die.
Some spells and abilities cause you to take an ability penalty for a limited amount of time. While in effect, these penalties function just like ability damage, but they cannot cause you to fall unconscious or die. In essence, penalties cannot decrease your ability score to less than 1.
Ability Drain: Ability drain actually reduces the relevant ability score. Modify all skills and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to lose skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. Ability drain can be healed through the use of spells such as restoration.
Healing Ability Damage: When you rest for 8 hours, you heal one point of ability damage to all your ability scores. If you rest for a full day, you heal 2 points of damage to all your ability scores.
If another character provides long-term care and makes a DC 15 Heal check, you heal twice the amount of ability damage from natural healing.

Other Notes
Since Star Wars Saga Edition does not have any 5-foot step (or any other RPG for what I know), I finally made the descision to just scrap it entirely. Spellcasters still have the option to cast defensively, and they are supposed to be vulnerable in combat anyway. For everyone else, it just makes things a lot easier.
Flanking is a minor bonus and based on a grid, so it also goes out of the window without any second thoughts. A thieves backstab doesn't work with it anyway, so there is no reason to have it. This also makes Improved Uncanny Dodge pointless.

Yora
2013-03-19, 07:41 AM
Revised Graple Rules
Grapple is a regular Combat Maneuver made as a standard action.

Starting a Grapple
If you attempt a grapple you provoke an attack of opportunity from the enemy you are trying to grapple. If the attack of opportunity is a hit and deals any damage, the grapple attempt automatically fails. If you have the Improved Grapple feat or the Grab ability, you do not provoke an attacks of opportunity. If you do not have two hands free, you take a -4 penalty to your Grapple checks.
If your Combat Maneuver roll is successful, you and your target are now grappling and have the grappled condition
Grappled: Grappled creatures cannot move and take a –4 penalty to Dexterity. A grappled creature takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls and combat maneuver checks, except those made to grapple or escape a grapple. In addition, grappled creatures can take no action that requires two hands to perform. A grappled character who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability must make a concentration check (DC 10 + grappler's CMB + spell level), or lose the spell. Grappled creatures cannot make attacks of opportunity.
A grappled creature cannot use Stealth to hide from the creature grappling it, even if a special ability, such as hide in plain sight, would normally allow it to do so. If a grappled creature becomes invisible, through a spell or other ability, it gains a +2 circumstance bonus on its CMD to avoid being grappled, but receives no other benefit.

Continuing a Grapple
When you begin your turn in a grapple, you can take the follwing actions:
1. Make a standard attack with a light or natural weapon (with all the penalties of the Grappled condition)
2. Attempt to cast a spell as a standard or swift action
3. Escape from the Grapple with the Escape Artist Skill as a standard action.
4. Make a Grapple Combat Maneuver roll.

If you chose to make a Grapple roll and your Combat Maneuver roll beats your enemies Combat Maneuver Defense, you can do the following things.
Damage: The enemy takes damage equal to an unarmed attack, natural attack, or light melee weapon you are holding.
Move: Drag the enemy away for half your movement speed.
Pin: Make your enemy gain the pinned condition.

Pinned: A pinned creature can take no actions except a standard action to free itself from the grapple with an Escape Artist check or a Grapple Combat Maneuver roll.
It can only cast spells with no somatic component or any material components or foci, unless they are already held in the hand. A pinned character who attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability must make a concentration check (DC 10 + grappler's CMB + spell level) or lose the spell.

Tie Up
If you have your target pinned, otherwise restrained, or unconscious, you can use rope to tie him up. This works like a pin effect, but the DC to escape the bonds is equal to 20 + your Combat Maneuver Bonus (instead of your CMD). The ropes do not need to make a check every round to maintain the pin. If you are grappling the target, you can attempt to tie him up in ropes, but doing so requires a combat maneuver check at a –10 penalty.

I didn't change much, except cropping out unneccessary sentences and simplyfing pin. Is it better in any way than Pathfinder Grappling?

Mighty_Chicken
2013-03-25, 09:46 AM
Yes. I couldn't notice what you changed, rule wise, but all of a sudden I can understand what happens during a grapple and even memorize the proccess without needing to open a rulebook. Congratulations :)

I see you took away any references on who's leading the grapple. I think it is an important part, though. Otherwise, grapping a warrior as strong as you is a generally bad idea, because he will immeadiately get you pinned in his turn. Grapple becomes less about getting superiority over your opponent, and more about just taking him (and you) out of combat. Which can be tactically advantageous in some situations (for example, you don't want the opponent to help his allies), but never something you would do in a 1x1 combat.

I like PF's rule that the attack of opportunity doesn't abort the maneuver, just make it harder. I'd be OK with you going back to 3.5, if that's your preference, but with you "nerf" to grapple starters, now trying to grapple someone is just a very bad idea if you don't have the feat. You're risking yourself an AoO just for a chance of getting pinned!

Ziegander
2013-03-26, 07:18 AM

You keep saying that gaining a new trick at every level is for a tactical dice game, but even with the reduced number of spells known of the PsyWar, your spellcasters learn a new trick at every level. Not only that, but they keep getting increasingly more powerful and more useful tricks every other level. Your non-casters do not get that. Not even close.

It's not about dead levels, it's not about wanting loads of class features at every level. It's about game balance, inter-party balance, and just plain being fair to the players of your game. If 1/3rd of your classes get great stuff every level and more powerful stuff every other level, but the other 2/3rds get great stuff only at 1st and maybe 1 or 2 other levels out of 10, and only 1 thing they have ever gets more powerful as they gain levels, well, that's quite an imbalance. And you can tell this is so even before looking at the caster's spell lists and the individual descriptions of spells, because you're still using spell levels. So, while it might be the spell lists that made casters broken, it's the inherent design of casters that make them unbalanced.

Yora
2013-03-26, 07:24 AM
Except not having spellcasters, there seems to be no way it can't be helped.

In all the low-level games I played, casters never became an issue for being too powerful or stealing the show, and it seems to be general consensus that it applies to E6 as well, where people play fighters and rogues.
It may not be balanced, but what game is? D&D 4th Edition perhaps, which achieved that by making all classes the same.

Ziegander
2013-03-26, 11:10 AM
Except not having spellcasters, there seems to be no way it can't be helped.

Well that's a sadly defeatist and unimaginative response. :smallfrown:

I'm sure there's at least two ways it can be helped. 1) You can give the non-spellcasters great stuff at every level and more powerful stuff at every odd level, just like the casters; OR 2) You can restrict the spellcasters even more so that they very rarely learn new spells (like 3 or 4 by 10th level) and only ever improve 1 or 2 spells (that they already knew) once or twice in 10 levels.

And, heck, there's probably other solutions here that I'm not thinking of.

In all the low-level games I played, casters never became an issue for being too powerful or stealing the show, and it seems to be general consensus that it applies to E6 as well, where people play fighters and rogues.

Sure, that may be the case, but a lot of E6 is played with redesigned classes too, so that fighters and rogues at least get cool new toys at the same rate (or more equivalent) of clerics and wizards.

It may not be balanced, but what game is? D&D 4th Edition perhaps, which achieved that by making all classes the same.

I would say that fairness is a much better achievement for a game to hang its hat on than balance, although it is also an even more nebulous concept...

Yora
2013-03-26, 12:14 PM
Exactly.
And how I see it, using PF concentration, removing 5-foot steps, making casting spells in armor costly for both mages and priests, and providing no class features but spells and skill points to spellcasters, seems reasonably fair to me. In the 2nd and 3rd Edition games I've played over the last 15 years, people getting envious of spellcasters for getting new spells every level just never happened. And I don't see any reason to change the game I am making for my groups to be something I don't want it to be, just to make conform to the expectation of people who like to play games in a style that is different from the games I run.
And I am reasonably sure that this is not only me. There are still lots of people playing AD&D and even older D&D editions and Retroclones, where noncasters get even less shiny things and that is regarded as a good thing, not a bad one.