PDA

View Full Version : When an elf and a dwarf love each other very much... (3.5 races)

Frathe
2013-02-04, 12:54 PM
Alfar
{table=head] | Alfar, 1st-Level Warrior |
Size/Type: | Medium Humanoid (Dwarf, Elf) |
Hit Dice: | 1d8+1 (5 hp) |
Initiative: | +1 |
Speed: | 30 ft. (6 squares) |
Armor Class: | 15 (+1 Dex, +3 studded leather, +1 light shield), touch 11, flat-footed 14 |
Base Attack/Grapple: | +1/+2 |
Attack: | Warhammer +2 melee (1d8+1/×3) or longbow +3 ranged (1d8/×3) |
Full Attack: | Warhammer +2 melee(1d8+1/×3) or longbow +3 ranged (1d8/×3) |
Space/Reach: | 5 ft./5 ft. |
Special Attacks: | None |
Special Qualities: | Alfar traits |
Saves: | Fort +2, Ref +1, Will -1* |
Abilities: | Str 13, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6 |
Skills: | Hide+1 (+0 with shield), Listen+1, Search+2, Spot+1 |
Feats: | Weapon Focus (longbow) |
Environment: | Temperate forest or temperate mountains |
Organization: | Squad (2-4), band (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or clan (30-100 plus 20% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains) |
Challenge Rating: | ½ |
Treasure: | Standard |
Alignment: | Usually neutral good |
Advancement: | By character class |
Level Adjustment: | +0 |
[/table]

Alfar inherit a curious mixture of the attributes of their elven and dwarven parents. As both parents can be, they are often standoffish and reclusive, some considering themselves inferior beings who should avoid contact with their betters, and some considering themselves a new third race superior to the races of either parent. Alfar often have a subtly off-putting appearance, though they are generally physically well-formed. They are nimble in both hand and body, inheriting to a degree both the agility of elves and the crafting skill of dwarves.

Alfar speak Elven and Dwarven, and most who travel also know Common.

Most alfar encountered outside their homes are warriors. The statistic block given here is for a first level warrior.

Combat

Alfar Traits (Ex)

Alfar possess the following racial traits.

+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.

Medium size.

An alfar’s base land speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Stonecunning: This ability grants an alfar a +1 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework. An alfar who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as though actively searching, and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. An alfar can also intuit depth, sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.

+1 racial bonus on saving throws against poison. *Not reflected in the saving throw numbers given here.

Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects. *Not reflected in the saving throw modifiers given here.

+1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An alfar does not have the elf’s ability to notice secret doors simply by passing near them, unless the doors are made of stone (see stonecunning above).

Dwarven Blood: For all effects related to race, an alfar is considered a dwarf. Alfar, for example, are just as vulnerable to special effects that affect dwarves as their dwarf ancestors are, and they can use magic items that are only usable by dwarves.

Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, an alfar is considered an elf.

Automatic Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).

Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass alfar takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing, her highest-level class does not count.

The alfar warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.

Frathe
2013-02-04, 12:55 PM
Deleted the Half-Dwarf (but saving post)

Doxkid
2013-02-04, 02:19 PM
You have created an abomination the likes of which this world was not prepared for.

What have you DONE?!

Eldan
2013-02-04, 02:24 PM
Tsk. You should follow standard D&D naming practises.

This is clearly a Dwelf :smalltongue:

Grim Portent
2013-02-04, 02:29 PM

I think It's a Dwalf.

Frathe
2013-02-04, 03:47 PM

I think It's a Dwalf.

"Dwelf" was the first name I thought of. I also considered "Orf".

Flickerdart
2013-02-04, 03:56 PM
"Dwelf" was the first name I thought of. I also considered "Orf".
An Orf would be a half-dwarf half-orc. Or maybe that would be an olf?

Clearly, a dwelf is a half-elf dwarf, and a dwalf is a half-dwarf elf.

lunar2
2013-02-04, 04:00 PM
nah, an Orf is an elf and an orc.

what's up with the half-dwarf, though? it looks like you took the dwarf, removed the ability score modifiers, and just cut all the features in half.

what's it getting from its human half, and why would anyone ever play this instead of a dwarf fluffed to have a human parent?

Plato Play-Doh
2013-02-04, 04:01 PM
An Orf would be a half-dwarf half-orc. Or maybe that would be an olf?

Clearly, a dwelf is a half-elf dwarf, and a dwalf is a half-dwarf elf.

Wouldn't an Orf be a half-orc half-elf? Or would that be an Olf?

Also, I wonder what an Orcling would look like...

Edit: The first part was said while I was typing.

Flickerdart
2013-02-04, 04:02 PM
Also, I wonder what an Orcling would look like...
Goblin, probably.

Plato Play-Doh
2013-02-04, 04:04 PM
Goblin, probably.

One of the greatest mysteries of the world: Solved.

Frathe
2013-02-04, 04:35 PM
nah, an Orf is an elf and an orc.

what's up with the half-dwarf, though? it looks like you took the dwarf, removed the ability score modifiers, and just cut all the features in half.

what's it getting from its human half, and why would anyone ever play this instead of a dwarf fluffed to have a human parent?

Why do people play half-elves? In any case, half-dwarves are better at multiclassing, like humans, and they're not limited in their bonus languages. Honestly, there's not a lot else humans have that I could give them, unless I give them an extra feat at first level or extra skill points (neither of which half-elves get).

If it helps, think of half-dwarves as a dwarf subrace, like how half-elves are given as an elf subrace.

Edit: Actually, I suppose one big reason to play a half-elf is for the racial Diplomacy and Gather Information bonus. Maybe I should give half-dwarves some skill bonus or such that neither parent had.

lunar2
2013-02-04, 05:36 PM
i rarely see people playing half elves.

balancing against half elf is a very bad idea, since that is one of the weaker races. then again, so are elves.

Frathe
2013-02-04, 06:48 PM
You have created an abomination the likes of which this world was not prepared for.

What have you DONE?!

Hey, can I sig this?

Flickerdart
2013-02-04, 11:01 PM
Why do people play half-elves? In any case, half-dwarves are better at multiclassing, like humans, and they're not limited in their bonus languages. Honestly, there's not a lot else humans have that I could give them, unless I give them an extra feat at first level or extra skill points (neither of which half-elves get).

If it helps, think of half-dwarves as a dwarf subrace, like how half-elves are given as an elf subrace.

Edit: Actually, I suppose one big reason to play a half-elf is for the racial Diplomacy and Gather Information bonus. Maybe I should give half-dwarves some skill bonus or such that neither parent had.
Nobody plays half-elf unless they want to max out Diplomacy on a level 1 Diplomancer build. It is basically the Commoner of races.

Frathe
2013-02-05, 12:11 AM
Nobody plays half-elf unless they want to max out Diplomacy on a level 1 Diplomancer build. It is basically the Commoner of races.

Oh. I did not know. Would you suggest boosting the half-dwarf's stats, then? Or just giving up on it altogether?
My first character was a half-elf ranger.

Pokonic
2013-02-05, 12:15 AM
Goblin, probably.

On that note, there are no half-goblins. A goblin that mates with a human makes a hobgoblin and a goblin that mates with a orc creates a Bugbear.

Durazno
2013-02-05, 01:52 AM
Would a bonus feat be too much for a half-dwarf?

Frathe
2013-02-05, 03:15 AM
Would a bonus feat be too much for a half-dwarf?

Maybe not. I was considering giving them an extra feat, like humans get. Just to clarify: you don't mean monster-type bonus feats, where they don't have to meet the prerequisites, right?

Chilingsworth
2013-02-05, 03:29 AM
Interesting Elf-Dwarf hybrid, but there's already a dwarf-human hybrid. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/derro.htm) :smalltongue:

Frathe
2013-02-05, 03:51 AM
Interesting Elf-Dwarf hybrid, but there's already a dwarf-human hybrid. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/derro.htm) :smalltongue:

Oh, I never realized that was what Derro are. Looking it up, that only seems to be the backstory in Greyhawk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derro_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#Derro_in_various_camp aign_settings).

I think I'm just gonna... quietly... delete the half-dwarf. It really is just a dwarf with scaled-down bonuses; I thought of it second and there's not a lot of creativity there.

SiuiS
2013-02-05, 04:12 AM
Elf/Dwarf?

We call that Two-edge (http://www.elfquest.com/pubs/bios/Trolls/TwoEdge.html). He's awesome. And technically he's elf/troll, who is a dwarf, but whatever.

Omnicrat
2013-02-05, 04:27 AM
Elf/Dwarf?

We call that Two-edge (http://www.elfquest.com/pubs/bios/Trolls/TwoEdge.html). He's awesome. And technically he's elf/troll, who is a dwarf, but whatever.

It says hes half-elf, half-troll.

SiuiS
2013-02-05, 04:31 AM
It says hes half-elf, half-troll.

So does the post you quoted :smallwink:

Omnicrat
2013-02-05, 04:56 AM
So does the post you quoted :smallwink:

Mistakes like this happen when you use the white text. Not especially often, granted, as you can see it while quoting, but still. It's 5am (almost) and I'm only still up because I'm waiting for Star Trek: Online to download.

SiuiS
2013-02-05, 05:17 AM
Yeah. It's only about 2:15 here, but I know your pain.

Still though, I just wanted to core Two-Edge.
Insane, sadistic union of elf and troll? Best dwarf genesis theory. Especially if you couple it to a drow (trow) being the union of dwarf and troll. The drow are less elven, more trollish, and these alfar are less trollish, more elven. They've effectively weeded out the worst of their troll stock, and are instead mythic-quality elves of hardy stock. And all that took was a nod to elf quest!

Man, now I wanna run a D&D game again. You see what you did?! :smallfurious:

((:smallwink:))

Omnicrat
2013-02-05, 05:28 AM
Me or the op? Ever notice how OP means opening poster, original post, and over-powered?

Mithril Leaf
2013-02-05, 05:58 PM

What have you DONE?!

The very thought that a glorious bearded dwarf would mate with a sick cannibalistic elf makes me shudder as well. This is an unholy abomination and a horrible threat to the mountain home on par with elephants and carp.