PDA

View Full Version : What level spell is this?

ButtSoup
2013-02-06, 02:07 AM
Hey everyone, I've got an arcane caster who is creating his own line of spells (like Bigby's-fill-in-the-blank). One such spell is essentially turning scorching ray into a bull rush.

So I'm following the base spell scorching ray for most of the specifics, but I'm substituting the 4d6 damage with a bull rush attempt in which you add your CL and relevant caster ability modifier.

Based on what I've looked at and my gut feeling, I'm thinking Level 3-4 (leaning towards 4)

So does that sound reasonable? I haven't tested it, but it's a situational spell that's hard to test (its obviously a lot better when your surroundings include a cliff). Whether you agree or disagree- please include reasoning as to the level you would place it at.

TuggyNE
2013-02-06, 02:20 AM
This sounds a great deal like melf's unicorn arrow, which is Sor/Wiz 3 and includes some damage. Without damage, then, level 2 is probably about all.

ButtSoup
2013-02-06, 02:37 AM
Forgot that spell even existed. Seems legit, thanks.

GoddessSune
2013-02-06, 12:35 PM
One such spell is essentially turning scorching ray into a bull rush.

Lots of spells already do a bull rush.

Battering ram is a one shot bull rush and is 2nd level. Telekinisis is 5th level and lets you do bull rush, and other effects for one round a level.

So a Telekinitic Bull Rush, one round a level duration with a scalable DC can easily be 3rd level.

ButtSoup
2013-02-06, 04:16 PM
I'm aware that there are spells that bull rush.
Player wanted to make his own. We actually looked at the battering ram spell (which he thought was garbage :smallsmile:) and that's why I felt the spell as stated might be 3rd level since it seems much better than battering ram.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-06, 08:28 PM
Yeah, that sounds like 3rd level.