PDA

View Full Version : Custom classes (give me an idea, i build it)

inuyasha
2013-02-07, 11:32 PM
Hi, I am slowly becoming a better homebrewer and I have recently found a way to develop balanced classes and prestige classes. I will take any idea and I will build it for you :) just tell me how many levels you want, and the basic concept for it. And I might post ones Ive already built on this occasionally

Vauron
2013-02-08, 01:06 AM
Alright, lets try something relatively simple: A 5 level prestige class based around voodoo dolls.

Alternatively, a cold themed gish base class that gets stronger the more it uses its class features in a day/encounter/scene/insertperiodoftimehere.

Plato Play-Doh
2013-02-08, 07:18 AM
How about an armorer base class centered around crafting weapons/armor? The catch: no magic. They should be so skilled they can make a blade seem to be supernaturally sharp, but it's actually pure talent and skill. Mainly support-focused, and their primary role is done out of battle, but fairly capable warriors in their own right as well.

Yora
2013-02-08, 07:59 AM
I can't really get a sattisfying result with my attempts to make a 10 level non-magical hunter with fixed class features. Might be interesting to see how someone else would approach it.

inuyasha
2013-02-08, 09:29 AM
cool these seem reletively simple :)
the hardest one I have to think about (but not super hard) is the voodoo one. But I can do the rest pretty easy

Xaotiq1
2013-02-08, 12:29 PM
I'm looking for a melee conversion of the Iron Kingdoms Gun Mage (http://files.meetup.com/47309/IK%20Gun%20Mage%20%28as%20per%20character%20book%2 9.pdf). I've given a stab (pun intended), btu can't get a real good hold on it. Sincere thanks in advance!

DaTedinator
2013-02-08, 12:46 PM
Alright, how about something wacky? Like making the Lycanthrope template into a 3-5 level PrC, with a 0-level for someone who's only just been infected?

DracoDei
2013-02-08, 12:57 PM
Ok, here is one that I have attempted myself, but which I want to see what you do with.

Make me a (EDIT: Base) class for which "I take full defense" is as iconic as the fighter's charge or full-attack. A class whose major challenge in combat is simply to survive, yet which contributes meaningfully at the same time.

Admittedly, my own attempt didn't quite follow this to the letter in its actual execution.

Kurtmuran
2013-02-09, 01:57 AM
technopath ( a buddy who can control machines whit the mind )

inuyasha
2013-02-09, 11:29 AM
these all sound amazing, and I assure you Im working on them but I cant do alot today because I have a big game coming at about 2:30 (in 6 hours) and I have some shtuff to do

bobthe6th
2013-02-10, 10:37 AM
Hows about you do a version of the shield(see sig)? Take as little or as much from the class. All I ask is you use at least the concept.

sengmeng
2013-02-10, 10:55 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265599
Take this into epic levels.

Jormengand
2013-02-10, 12:58 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265599
Take this into epic levels.

Oh, and this one. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269287)

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-02-10, 01:04 PM
So, I had an idea the other day for a Monk/Artificer cross, but I don't know enough about balancing or homebrew to really do it myself.

It works like this - you'd start with a slightly fixed version of a monk (BAB, HP, maybe cut out the need for a stat or to - I'd consider letting Wisdom give HP bonuses in the same way it gave AC, but whatever, up to you).

Where it gets interesting is that you give it a sampling of Artificer casting. Artificers have an infusion where they can bestow armor enchantments on the fly - not just simple +1s, but special effects, etc. Allow the class to have access to that, but only for their own natural weapons and armor.

With that, monks get a huge influx of flexibility and fun - they can do things like give themselves Aporter armor for limited teleportation, or make their skin burn any who attack them, or make their fists particularly nasty against undead.

Oh, one thing I'd consider would be letting monks Infuse their fists separately, if they wanted - so, if they didn't mind using the Infusions per day, they could give different bonuses to each fist.

toapat
2013-02-10, 01:05 PM
I would like to see how you would combine Shadowdancer and Assassin into a base class

sirpercival
2013-02-10, 01:53 PM
Hi, I am slowly becoming a better homebrewer and I have recently found a way to develop balanced classes and prestige classes. I will take any idea and I will build it for you :) just tell me how many levels you want, and the basic concept for it. And I might post ones Ive already built on this occasionally

I'm curious what this is.

inuyasha
2013-02-10, 04:39 PM
I'm curious what this is.

a magician never reveals his tricks :)

(eh I might reveal it later, not now though lol)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-02-10, 05:00 PM
a magician never reveals his tricks :)

(eh I might reveal it later, not now though lol)

Actually, with homebrew, a magician usually ALWAYS reveals his tricks, because the homebrew community benefits from them. Hence why we have resources of design philosophy and design methods, pre-built table threads, and so forth. If people didn't share their design experiences and methods, the community as a whole wouldn't improve anywhere near as much as it currently does.

I for one would be very curious to see this, mainly because I am severely skeptical that one can devise a "system" that allows you to always develop balanced classes and prestige classes. Alternatively, I'd like to see the outcome of some of what you've decided to make in this thread, so we can at least see if the system WORKS.

Zman
2013-02-10, 05:02 PM
Actually, with homebrew, a magician usually ALWAYS reveals his tricks, because the homebrew community benefits from them. Hence why we have resources of design philosophy and design methods, pre-built table threads, and so forth. If people didn't share their design experiences and methods, the community as a whole wouldn't improve anywhere near as much as it currently does.

I for one would be very curious to see this, mainly because I am severely skeptical that one can devise a "system" that allows you to always develop balanced classes and prestige classes. Alternatively, I'd like to see the outcome of some of what you've decided to make in this thread, so we can at least see if the system WORKS.

I second this.

I am interested to see what work you crank out.

inuyasha
2013-02-10, 05:06 PM
actually...good point...Im using a PDF I found online: this one
http://rumkin.com/reference/dnd/media/classconstruction.pdf

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-02-10, 05:11 PM
actually...good point...Im using a PDF I found online: this one
http://rumkin.com/reference/dnd/media/classconstruction.pdf

I was afraid of that. Point-based class systems are typically horrible for actually doing anything but the most basic mechanical framework. They cannot properly value abilities, tend to undervalue spells (the Sorcerer's casting is worth 145 points...which is under triple the value of a high base attack bonus, and casting is worth FAR more than reliably hitting melee attacks in almost all situations).

I'd break away from numerical systems and try to work on learning actual balance: systems are NEVER a substitute for actually mastering system balance.

inuyasha
2013-02-10, 05:21 PM
Im less using the point based system and just using it as a slight guideline, I do know what Im doing, and I know how some point based systems arent accurate, but I do know what Im doing and I do know how balance works. (sorry if that sounded jerkish, didnt mean it to if it did)