PDA

View Full Version : Tashalatora: The Inevitable Conclusion [3.5 Monk fix #567896]

Ernir
2013-02-08, 05:10 PM
Is this your first time here? Take a look at the Q&A!

The Q&A
TL;DR! What did you do here, Ernir?
I took the Psychic Warrior class and changed out powers and class features until it serves as a Monk fix.

So, what made you decide the world needed another Monk fix?
We have plenty of Monk fixes. We even have some good ones.
What inspired me to make this one is how really close the Tashalatora feat (plus a Psychic Warrior multiclass) gets to being a proper Monk fix. I wanted to bridge the gap.
What I felt was missing from the Tashalatoran approach:
Getting the Psychic Warrior manifesting to emulate all/most of the Monk class features requires significant feat expenditure - the two spent on Tashalatora, then more to grab whatever powers best emulate the Monk class features. This cuts into the flexibility of possible builds. You miss out on a whole bunch of juicy ACFs and class options that have been piled on the Monk throughout the splatbooks. It not being a base class leads to a jerky progression - first you're a pure Monk, then you're increasingly a manifester. Perhaps this is not a problem (especially compared to the more involved 3.5 builds), but I wanted something more smooth. In other words, I believe the Monk concept is worthy of a base class of its own.
Also, I hear you're not a real homebrewer until you've made a Monk fix.

I saw the class table. No full BAB? Again!?
Yes, still 3/4 BAB, for a reason. The fundamental one being that this class generates enough hits with 3/4 BAB. Really, it does. This is because Flurry works (better) now.
To explain what I mean by that: I see BAB not as a class feature, but as a statistic required for certain classes to function, that is, it is just a number you want to be "high" so you can hit things. What this number is under the hood is not particularly important as far as I am concerned, what is important to me is that the class can hit things reliably enough.
I believe this is the same logic the 3.5 designers used initially - they saw that Flurry + 3/4 BAB results in a number of hits (often favorably) comparable to those offered by no Flurry + full BAB. I have run my numbers, and I agree.
What I believe they failed to account for is the effect of MAD, the relatively difficult process of boosting the Monk's to-hit, and most importantly, I believe they failed to realize how utterly crippling the loss of a full attack is to the Monk's damage output.
Now, I fixed this (possible exception: MAD. See below). Most significantly, Flurrying no longer requires a full attack, making the Monk better at non-full attacks than classes relying more on BAB to generate hits.
With a functioning Flurry, the class should not require full BAB. In fact, I think a full BAB + Flurry combination would be numerically overpowered (specifically, compared to the baseline that is the Psychic Warrior). And choosing between full BAB and Flurry, I'd rather give the Monk Flurry.

I read the class. It looks just like the Psychic Warrior after the first level. Where are the Monk class features?
This Monk is effectively a modified Psychic Warrior. The difference between the classes is in the first level class features, base saves, proficiencies, some ACFs, and most importantly, the power list. Aside from the first level features, all the Monk class features have been converted to psionic powers. If you want them, select them as a power known. They should all be there.

Isn't this still MAD?
It's about as MAD as the Psychic Warrior. But like the Psychic Warrior and classes like the Cleric, I hope it now has the power to push through it. Additionally, I created feats to assist with creating a more ability-focused Monk - a Strength Monk, a Dexterity Monk, and a Wisdom Monk. These are feats, not part of the base class, because I think SADness to this degree should come with an opportunity cost.

The Monk is now a manifester. I wanted him to stay a mundane badass!
The 3.5 Monk was never a badass and never mundane. The vast majority of the 3.5 Monk's class features is Supernatural - he always was a teleporting, ethereal-jumping Supernatural fighter. Only now, there is a logical progression to it.

Why this Monk fix and not some other?
Compared to the average class fix I see floating around, I think I've done a good job of integrating it with the rest of 3.5. Or to put it differently, you get some splat support. You can use the tricks you know how to use on a Psychic Warrior to make this Monk work. You can take Psionic feats and make use of Psionic support. There are definitely builds for this thing.
Compared to the Tashalatoran approach (which gets the abovementioned Psionic support), I have added more "monky" powers and support for some of the cool ACFs you're missing out on compared to a straight 3.5 Monk.

Tashalatora: The Inevitable Conclusion

http://i.imgur.com/YVYqKst.jpg
Monk using Crane's Charge to fly into battle. (source: Dragon Magazine #375)

The Monk

Alignment
Any lawful.

Hit Die
d8.

Class Skills
The Monk's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Note: A splice of the Psychic Warrior and Monk skill lists, Monk skill points/level.
The alignment restriction is there because it used to be there, and I don't see a reason to change it. If you don't like alignments or alignment restrictions, ditch it. Note, however, that the restriction on Ex-Monks is gone.

Table: The Monk

Level
BAB
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Power Points
Powers Known
Max Power Level

1st
+0
+2
+2
+2
AC bonus, bonus feat, flurry of blows, unarmed strike
1st

2nd
+1
+3
+3
+3
Bonus feat
1st

3rd
+2
+3
+3
+3
-
1st

4th
+3
+4
+4
+4
-
2nd

5th
+3
+4
+4
+4
Bonus feat
2nd

6th
+4
+5
+5
+5
-
2nd

7th
+5
+5
+5
+5
-
3rd

8th
+6/+1
+6
+6
+6
Bonus feat
3rd

9th
+6/+1
+6
+6
+6
-
3rd

10th
+7/+2
+7
+7
+7
-
4th

11th
+8/+3
+7
+7
+7
Bonus feat
4th

12th
+9/+4
+8
+8
+8
-
4th

13th
+9/+4
+8
+8
+8
-
5th

14th
+10/+5
+9
+9
+9
Bonus feat
5th

15th
+11/+6/+1
+9
+9
+9
-
5th

16th
+12/+7/+2
+10
+10
+10
-
6th

17th
+12/+7/+2
+10
+10
+10
Bonus feat
6th

18th
+13/+8/+3
+11
+11
+11
-
6th

19th
+14/+9/+4
+11
+11
+11
-
6th

20th
+15/+10/+5
+12
+12
+12
Bonus feat, perfect self
6th

1The Monk gains no power points from his class at 1st level. However, he does add any bonus power points he gains from a high Wisdom score, his race, and feats or other sources to his reserve. He can use these points (if any) to manifest his power.

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Monk.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Monks are proficient with club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, gauntlet (spiked or not), handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, siangham, and sling, as well as their own unarmed strike.

Monks are not proficient with any armor or shields.

When wearing armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a Monk loses his AC bonus.

Note: Monks are now proficient with gauntlets (fluff'em as hand wraps, if it pleases you) and their unarmed strike. They can flurry even if they decide to dump their AC bonus in favor of physical armor.
Power Points/Day: A Monk's ability to manifest powers is limited by the power points he has available. His base daily allotment of power points is given on the Monk table. In addition, he receives bonus power points per day if he has a high Wisdom score (see Ability Modifiers and Bonus Power Points). His race may also provide bonus power points per day, as may certain feats and items. A 1st-level Monk gains no power points for his class level, but he gains bonus power points (if he is entitled to any), and can manifest the single power he knows with those power points.

Powers Known: A Monk begins play knowing one Monk power of your choice. Each time he achieves a new level, he unlocks the knowledge of a new power.
Choose the powers known from the Monk power list. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a Monk to learn powers from the lists of other classes.) A Monk can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level.

The total number of powers a Monk can manifest in a day is limited only by his daily power points.

A Monk simply knows his powers; they are ingrained in his mind. He does not need to prepare them (in the way that some spellcasters prepare their spells), though he must get a good night's sleep each day to regain all his spent power points.

The Difficulty Class for saving throws against Monk powers is 10 + the power's level + the Monk's Wisdom modifier.

Maximum Power Level Known: A Monk begins play with the ability to learn 1st-level powers. As he attains higher levels, he may gain the ability to master more complex powers.

To learn or manifest a power, a Monk must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the power's level.

Note: The Psychic Warrior progression, with "Monk" subbed in.
AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the Monk adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five Monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the Monk is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Bonus Feats: A Monk gets a bonus feat in addition to the feat that any 1st level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The Monk gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every three levels thereafter (5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th). These bonus feats must psionic feats or feats drawn from the following list: Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Diehard, Dodge, Endurance, Giant's Grapple NEW, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Improved ToughnessCWar, Improved Trip, Lightning Reflexes, Mantis StyleNEW, Mobility, Power Attack, Spring Attack, Stunning Fist, Tenacious GrapplerNEW, and Weapon Finesse. As a special perk, the Monk need not fulfil ability score and base attack bonus minimums when selecting bonus feats from this list, although he must meet other prerequisites, and needs to qualify
fully for Psionic feats.

Note: PsyWar feat progression, the combined feat list of all the old UA Monk Fighting Styles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#MonkVariantFightingSty les), plus Psionic feats. Point was to preserve the old Monk options, while adding some Psionic omnom for when you're out of useful core melee feats to take.
Unarmed Strike
At 1st level, a Monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A Monk's attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a Monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full.

Usually a Monk's unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but he can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. He has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A Monk's unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons. A Monk's unarmed strike can be enhanced as a manufactured magic weapon can, for instance with the Craft Psionic Arms And Armor feat. The Monk must be present for the duration of the crafting process.

A Monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would, as shown on the following table:

Monk Level
Unarmed Damage

1st-3rd
1d6

4th-7th
1d8

8th-11th
1d10

12th-15th
2d6

16th-19th
2d8

20th+
2d10

The unarmed damage on the above table is for Medium Monks. Smaller and larger Monks deal different damage, adjust for weapon size normally.

A Monk may use his Unarmed Strike as a regular attack, an off-hand attack, or both, allowing a Monk to use Two-Weapon Fighting with his Unarmed Strike only or in combination with normal weapon attacks. A Monk may apply his full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all his unarmed strikes, even when using it as an off-hand attack.

Note: Unchanged, except that you can now definitely TWF with two instances of your Unarmed Strike. Also, you can enhance it, if getting magic gauntlets isn't cool enough for you.
Flurry of Blows (Ex):
Once per round, when a Monk makes a normal attack with a special Monk weapon (gauntlets, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham) or an unarmed strike, he can make an additional attack with the same kind of weapon at his highest attack bonus. Resolve the additional attack immediately following the original attack, even if the original attack was not part of a full attack.

The Monk takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls he makes for the round when using Flurry of Blows. He must decide whether he is going to use Flurry of Blows in a given round before making his first attack in that round.

When a Monk reaches 5th level, the penalty on attack rolls lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears.

When a Monk reaches 11th level, he may make two additional attacks in a given round rather than one. He may make the attacks one after another, or split them between two attacks.

Note: Flurrying now no longer requires a full attack. Spring attackers, Flyby attackers and AoOers everywhere, rejoice.
Perfect Self (Ex):
At 20th level, a Monk becomes a magical creature. He is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the Monk's creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects should it be beneficial for the Monk. Additionally, the Monk gains damage reduction 10/chaotic. Additionally, the Monk no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the Monk still dies of old age when his time is up.

Note: Unchanged, except you now no longer get screwed over on Enlarge Person and such. Also slightly less useless DR. The old Timeless Body class feature has been folded in. Still a token ability.

Ernir
2013-02-08, 05:11 PM
Monk Power list

A note on reading the power lists: A power marked with "OCF" is an Old Class Feature, now present in power form. If it links to a power with a different name, pretend there's a power of the same level with the name of the link. Those powers marked "New" are entirely new powers, and can be found below.

1st-Level Monk Powers

Adrenaline BoostA (CChamp): Receive a temporary Str and Dex boost.
BiofeedbackA: Gain DR 2/-.
NewBody of LightA: Your body sheds light like a torch.
OCFFast MovementA: Gain +30ft. to speed this round.
Call WeaponryA: Create temporary weapon.
Chameleon: Gain +10 enhancement bonus on Hide checks.
Conceal Thoughts: You conceal your motives.
NewContortionA: You squeeze and slip through impossible places.
Detect Psionics: You detect the presence of psionics.
Empty MindA: Gain +2 on Will saves until your next action.
OCFEvasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/evadeBurst.htm): You take no damage from a burst on a successful Reflex save.
NewFar FistsA: Extend your reach beyond your body.
Float: Buoy yourself in water or other liquid.
Force ScreenA: Invisible disc provides +4 shield bonus to AC.
Grip of IronA: Your iron grip gives +4 bonus on grapple checks.
NewKi BlastA: Channel ki outside your body to strike enemies from afar.
OCFKi Strike: Use your ki to enhance your unarmed strikes.
Metaphysical WeaponA: Weapon gains +1 bonus.
NewPaw of the LeopardA: Strike with the power of a larger creature.
NewPerfect BalanceA: Receive a +10 enhancement bonus on Balance and Jump checks.
NewPsychic SweepA: Topple creatures in an area with psychokinetic attack.
Precognition, DefensiveA: Gain +1 insight bonus to AC and saving throws.
Precognition, OffensiveA: Gain +1 insight bonus on your attack rolls.
Prescience, OffensiveA: Gain +2 insight bonus on your damage rolls.
NewShatterstrike: Break any nonmagical object with a touch.
NewSnake StrikeA: Your next successful melee attack deals 1d4 points of Constitution damage.
OCFSlow Fall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/catfall.htm): Instantly save yourself from a fall.
Skate: Subject slides skillfully along the ground.
Thicken SkinA: Gain +1 enhancement bonus to your AC for 10 min./level.
NewTrue Defense: Gain +20 insight bonus to AC against next attack.
VigorA: Gain 5 temporary hit points.

2nd-Level Monk Powers

Animal AffinityA: Gain +4 enhancement to one ability.
Body Equilibrium: You can walk on nonsolid surfaces.
Concealing Amorpha: Quasi-real membrane grants you concealment.
Darkvision, Psionic: See 60 ft. in total darkness.
Detect Hostile Intent: You can detect hostile creatures within 30 ft. of you.
Dimension SwapA: You and an ally switch positions.
Empathic TransferA: Transfer another's wounds to yourself.
Energy Adaptation, SpecifiedA: Gain resistance 10 to one energy type.
Feat LeechA: Borrow another's psionic or metapsionic feats.
Hustle: Instantly gain a move action.
Moment of InsightA (CChamp): Briefly ignore the effects of concealment.
Levitate, Psionic: Subject moves up and down at your direction.
Painful StrikeA: Your natural weapons deal an extra 1d6 nonlethal damage.
Prowess: Instantly gain another attack of opportunity.
Psionic Scent: Gain the scent ability.
OCFPurity of Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bodyPurification.htm)A: Restore 2 points of ability damage.
Strength of My EnemyA: Siphon away your enemy's strength and grow stronger.
Sustenance: You can go without food and water for one day.
OCFStill Mind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/thoughtShield.htm)A: Gain PR 13 against mind-affecting powers.
NewTiger's Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicLionsCharge.htm)A: You can make full attack in same round you charge.
OCFTongue of the Sun and Moon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/tonguesPsionic.htm): You can communicate with intelligent creatures.
Wall Walker: Grants ability to walk on walls and ceilings.
OCFWholeness of body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bodyAdjustment.htm)A: Heal 1d12 damage.

3rd-Level Monk Powers

Concealing Amorpha, Greater: Quasi-real membrane grants you total concealment.
NewCrane's Charge: Soar through the air while charging.
Dimension SlideA: Teleports you very short distance.
Empathic FeedbackA: When you are hit in melee, your attacker takes damage.
Empathic Transfer, HostileA: Your touch transfers your hurt to another.
Escape Detection: You become difficult to detect with clairsentience powers.
Keen Edge, Psionic: Doubles normal weapon's threat range.
Mental BarrierA: Gain +4 deflection bonus to AC until your next action.
NewSteal Ki: Heal half of your unarmed strike's base damage.
Telekinetic BoomerangA (CChamp): Object returns to your hand immediately.
Ubiquitous Vision: You have all-around vision.

4th-Level Monk Powers

OCFAbundant Step (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dimensionDoorPsionic.htm): Teleports you short distance.
NewDragon's Charge: Soar through the air while charging.
Energy AdaptationA: Your body converts energy to harmless light.
Freedom of Movement, Psionic: You cannot be held or otherwise rendered immobile.
NewHadoken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyBall.htm): Deal 7d6 energy damage in 20-ft. radius.
ImmovabilityA: You are almost impossible to move and gain DR 15/-.
Inertial Barrier: Gain DR 5/-.
Psychic Vampire: Touch attack drains 2 power points/level from foe.
Steadfast Perception: Gain immunity to illusory effects, +6 bonus on Spot and Search checks.

5th-Level Monk Powers

Adapt Body: Your body automatically adapts to hostile environments.
CatapsiA: Psychic static inhibits power manifestation.
OCFDiamond Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/powerResistance.htm): Grant PR equal to 12 + level.
Oak BodyA: Your body becomes as hard as oak.
Perfect RiposteA (CChamp): Make attack of opportunity against creature who just missed you.
NewStrike of of OrcusA: Rip out victim's heart with a punch.
Psychofeedback: Boost Str, Dex, or Con at the expense of one or more other scores.

6th-Level Monk Powers

Dispelling Buffer: You are buffered from one dispel psionics effect.
OCFEmpty Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/etherealJauntPsionic.htm): Become ethereal for 1 round/level.
Inconstant LocationA (CChamp): Make swift instantaneous moves in combat.
Mind Blank, Personal: You are immune to scrying and mental effects.
OCFQuivering PalmA: Set up vibrations in another creature's body that can later be fatal.
Suspend Life: Put yourself into a state akin to suspended animation.
OCFTimeless Body: Ignore all harmful, and helpful, effects for 1 round.
True Metabolism: You regenerate 10 hit points/round.

Ernir
2013-02-08, 05:12 PM
New Powers

Contortion
Psychometabolism
Level: Monk 1
Display: Olfactory
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Power Points: 1

Your body can squeeze and move in ways some might think impossible.

You are considered one size category smaller when squeezing, and you do not take penalties to attack rolls, AC or speed when doing so. You gain a +10 bonus on Escape Artist checks. You can use the Escape Artist skill to escape restraints or squeeze through very tight spaces (for your reduced effective size) as a standard action, rather than with one minute of work.

Augment: You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.
If you spend 6 additional power points, you are considered two size categories smaller when squeezing, rather than one.
If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action instead of a standard action.
If you spend 2 additional power points, this power's duration is 10 minutes per level rather than 1 minute per level.

Body of Light
Psychokinesis [Light]
Display: Auditory and visual
Duration: 10 min./level (D)

Your inner light breaks out through your skin, illuminating your surroundings.

This power causes your body to shine like a torch, shedding bright light in a 20-foot radius (and dim light for an additional 20 feet) from you.

Augment: If you spend 2 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action. In addition, for every 2 power points you spend, this power counts as a power one level higher for the purpose of interacting with psionic and magical darkness effects.

Crane's Charge
Psychometabolism
Level: Monk 3
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 1 swift action
Duration: 1 round
Power Points: 5

Holding your internal energy, you jump foot-first into the air.

While performing a charge attack, you can fly at a speed equal to your land speed, with perfect maneuverability.

Snake Strike
Psychometabolism
Duration: Duration: 1 min./level or until discharged

You prepare to deliver a strike that resonates to the depths of your enemy's core.

Your next successful normal melee attack deals 1d4 points of Constitution damage in addition to its normal damage. The target can make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your manifester level + your key ability modifier) to negate the damage.

Augment: For every 6 additional power points you spend, this power's Constitution damage increases by one die (d4).

Dragon's Charge
Psychometabolism
Level: Monk 4
Power Points: 7

You fly like the graceful crane, but land like the ferocious tiger!

While performing a charge attack, you can fly at a speed equal to your land speed, with perfect maneuverability. In addition, at the end of the charge, you can perform a full attack.

Far Fists
Psychokinesis
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

You extend your psyche beyond your body, making blows felt even though they never physically connect.

Your reach increases to that of a creature one size category larger. For example, a medium-sized humanoid would have a reach of 10' while this power is active. Your space does not change.
This reach increase does not stack with psionic or magical effects that increase your size - your psychic presence can only be extended so far.

If you spend 6 additional power points, this power increases your reach to that of a creature two size categories larger.
If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action instead of a standard action.
If you spend 2 additional power points, this power's duration is 10 minutes per level rather than 1 round per level.

Fast Movement
Psychoportation
Display: Auditory

Focused, you move faster than your muscles alone could ever manage.

This power increases all of your speeds by 30 feet. (This adjustment is treated as an enhancement bonus.)
This includes your land speed as well as all other modes of movement you may possess, such as burrow, climb, fly, or swim.
As with any effect that increases your land speed, this power affects your jumping distance (see the Jump skill).

Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, the bonus to your speed increases by 10'.
This is much better than the Burst power. Not afraid of eclipsing it because I think it's crap.

Ki Blast
Psychokinesis [Force]
Display: Auditory, Visual
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Targets: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: Yes

You focus your Ki to the point where it physically manifests, and extend it to perform your will.

A blast of raw psychic energy strikes from your palms and towards your foe, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage.

The blast strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can't be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the power.

Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, you can launch an additional blast. If you launch multiple blasts, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures, no two of which can be more than 15' apart. A single blast can strike only one creature. You must designate targets before you check for power resistance or roll damage.

Ki Strike
Psychometabolism
Duration: 1 min./level

Ki hardens and strengthens your strikes beyond the mundane.

Your unarmed strike gains a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls.

If you spend 4 additional power points, this power's duration increases to 1 hour per level.
If you spend 4 additional power points, your unarmed strike is treated as a lawful weapon for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.
If you spend 4 additional power points, your unarmed strike is treated as an adamantine weapon for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness.
For every 4 additional power points you spend, this power improves the enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls by 1.

Quivering Palm
Psychokinesis
Level: Monk 6
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates; see text
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 11

You set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if you so desire.

Upon a successful touch attack, you can will the creature to die as a free action at any time during the power's duration. The creature must at that point make a Fortitude save or immediately die.

Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power's save DC increases by 1.

Paw of the Leopard
Psychometabolism
Display: Visual
Duration: 1 hour/level

Although the leopard is a small animal, it is, pound for pound, stronger than even the tiger.

For the duration of this power, your unarmed strikes deal damage as if you were Large, rather than your actual size, if doing so were beneficial to you. In addition, you may choose to deal either bludgeoning or slashing damage with your unarmed strike.

Augment: This power can be augmented in one of the following ways:

If you spend 6 additional power points, your unarmed strikes instead deal damage as if you were Huge.
If you spend 12 additional power points, your unarmed strikes instead deal damage as if you were Gargantuan.

Perfect Balance
Psychometabolism

Standing on his feet in unusual situations is not a great feat for the Monk - instead, he finds challenge in standing on falling leaves, raindrops, or the air itself.

You receive a +10 enhancement bonus on Balance and Jump checks.

Augment: For every additional power point you spend, the enhancement bonus increases by 1.

Psychic Sweep
Psychokinesis
Range: 20 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped spread
Saving Throw: Special
Power Resistance: Yes

Your sweeping kick generates a psychokinetic wave that hits all targets in the area, threatening tho topple them as surely as if you had physically hit them.

The power affects all creatures standing on the ground within the power's area. Creatures that fail their saves are thrown to the ground, become prone, and take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage.

Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power's nonlethal damage increases by 1d4 points. In addition, for every two power points you spend on increasing the power's nonlethal damage, its save DC increases by 1.

Strike of Orcus
Psychometabolism [Death]
Level: Monk 5
Target: Creature touched
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 9

Your hand emerges from the creature's back, its still beating heart in your grasp.

With a successful touch attack, you rip out the target's heart, killing it instantly. The target is entitled to a Fortitude saving throw to survive the attack. If the save is successful, the creature instead takes 3d6 points of damage, +1 point per manifester level. A creature without a heart is immune to Strike of Orcus.

Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power's save DC increases by 1.

Shatterstrike
Psychokinesis
Target: Creature or object touched
Saving Throw: None; Fortitude negates; Fortitude half; see text
Power Resistance: Yes (object)

Shattering seemingly indestructible objects is a feat commonly displayed by martial artists, but you have taken it to the next level.

You can target Shatterstrike against a single nonmagical, rigid object, regardless of composition, weighing up to 10 pounds per manifester level. An unattended object is instantly destroyed, while an attended item's owner may attempt a Fortitude save to prevent the object's destruction.
Targeted against a crystalline creature (of any weight), Shatterstrike deals 1d6 points of damage, with a Fortitude save for half damage. Other creatures are not damaged by Shatterstrike.

Augment: For every additional power point you spend, the damage Shatterstrike deals against crystalline creatures increases by 1d6. In addition, for every 2 additional power points you spend, the power's save DC increases by 1.

Steal Ki
Psychometabolism
Level: Monk 3
Display: Material and visual
Duration: 1 round/level

With each blow, you steal some of your enemy's life energy to supplement your own.

Each time you make a successful unarmed strike against a living creature of Small or larger size, you are healed of some amount of damage.

You heal a number of hit points equal to half the base damage dealt by your unarmed strike, rounded down (additional damage dealt because of a high Strength score or other enhancements does not count toward the amount you heal). You heal as many hit points as can be gained while the creature remains at 1 hit point or higher. Any damage that would reduce the creature to 0 or fewer hit points does not benefit you.

You do not heal damage if your attack deals nonlethal damage, such as when you attack a creature that has the regeneration ability. Moreover, you gain no healing from attacking any creature that is under the effect of biofeedback. Using fission on yourself and then attacking your duplicate also fails to grant any healing.

True Defense
Clairsentience
Duration: 1 round or until discharged

You gain temporary insight into your opponents' every move.

You gain a +20 insight bonus to AC against the next attack made against you.

Ernir
2013-02-08, 05:14 PM
Monk Alternate Class Features

Here are conversions of a few of the more popular Monk ACFs I see mentioned.

Notably, the Unearthed Arcana Combat Styles are not here. This is because they are effectively part of the base class now, through the bonus feats. But I did steal the names for some feats.

If there are ACFs you'd like to see here, please request them! I am confident in my ability to rig something up.

Decisive Strike (Player's Handbook II)
Level: 1st.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain the Flurry of Blows class feature.
Benefit: Once per round, when making a normal attack with a special Monk weapon (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham) or your unarmed strike, you may choose to deal double damage.

You take a -2 penalty on all attack rolls you make for the round when using Decisive Strike. You must decide whether you are going to use Decisive Strike in a given round before making your first attack that round.

When you reach 5th level, the penalty on attack rolls lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears.

When you reach 11th level, you deal triple damage rather than double damage when using Decisive Strike.

Invisible Fist (Exemplars of Evil)

Replaces: If you select this class feature, the Evasion power is removed from your class power list.
Benefit: You add the Invisible Fist and Blinking Fist powers to your class power list.

New powers:
Invisible Fist
Psychometabolism
Level: Invisible Fist 2
Manifesting Time: 1 immediate action
Power Points: 3

You momentarily blink out of sight.

You become Invisible for the duration of the power.

Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power's duration increases by one round.

Blinking Fist
Psychoportation
Level: Invisible Fist 3

You partially sever your connection to the material plane, causing you to blink in and out of existance.

You are affected as if by a Blink spell for the duration of the power.

Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power's duration increases by one round.

Spell Reflection (Complete Mage)

Replaces: If you select this class feature, the Evasion power is removed from your class power list.
Benefit: You add the Spell Reflection power to your class power list.

New Power:
Spell Reflection
Psychokinesis
Level: Spell Reflection 1

You gain the supernatural ability to reflect magical attacks back on their caster.

If an enemy misses with a spell, power, spell-like or psi-like ability aimed at you, you can instantaneously manifest this power to redirect the effect back at its originator. The effect attacks the effect's originator, who makes a new attack roll using the same modifier as the original attack. If it hits, the originator is subject to the normal effect of the ability.

This power applies only to spells, powers, spell-like and psi-like abilities that require an attack roll. Other mundane attacks, spells and spell-like abilities that affect a target, and supernatural abilities aren't subject to this reflection.

If a single spell or ability misses you more than once at the same time (such as scorching ray cast by a high-level caster), you can redirect each portion of the spell that missed.

Wild Monk (Dragon Magazine 324)
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you lose the Monk class skills of Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Perform and Sense Motive. You do not gain a bonus feat at first level. You do not gain a new power known at Monk level 2. Slow Fall and Still Mind are removed from your list of class powers.
Benefit: You gain the class skills of Knowledge (nature) and Survival. At 3rd level, you gain the Resist Nature's Lure ability, as a Druid. You add Form of the Avian, Form of the Fish, Form of the Predator and Form of the Treant to your class power list.

New subdiscipline:

Psychometabolism (Polymorph)
Some Psychometabolism powers radically change the subject's physical form.

When under a Polymorph subdiscipline power, your physical form and appearance changes to that of a type of creature noted in the power's description.
You retain your own type, subtypes, and racial features throughout the transformation, unless they require the use of a body part the new form does not have (such as some natural attacks).
Unless otherwise noted, your ability scores are unchanged.
You retain your ability to speak, unless your new form has no organs capable of supporting speech (assume that animalistic mouths are sufficient for providing speech).
Items and articles of clothing not feasibly capable of being worn, held or carried by the new form meld into your body. Magic items that provide continuous benefits continue to provide their function (if applicable), magic items that require activation can not be activated while so melded.
Recognizing that a creature is under a Polymorph power rather than being a normal, average member of the creature type the subject morphed into is generally a DC 20 spot check, or DC 15 for members of the creature type that the subject morphed into.

New Powers:

Form of the Avian
Psychometabolism
Level: Wild Monk 2
Power Points: 3

You assume the form of a winged bird, like that of an eagle or a swan.

You undergo the following changes:
Your size changes to small.
Your base strength score changes to 10.
Your base dexterity score changes to 16.
You gain a bite attack that deals 1d4 points of damage + your strength modifier.
This bite can be used as either a primary natural attack or a secondary natural attack.
You gain the benefit of the Weapon Finesse feat.
The avian form has physical wings and can fly at a speed of 60', with good maneuverability.
Your land speed changes to 10'.

However, your avian form has no hands, preventing you from using weapons and items requiring fine manipulation (although you can use your feet to hold things that can be easily gripped).

Augment: You can Augment this power in one or more of the following ways:

For every additional power point you spend, your fly speed increases by 10'.
If you spend 4 additional power points, your size becomes medium when manifesting the power, your strength score changes to 18 and your dexterity score changes to 14. Your bite and talon attacks (if any) have their base damage dice increased by one step.
If you spend 2 additional power points, you gain two talon attacks in addition to the bite attack. These can only be used as secondary natural attacks. The talons deal 1d3 points of damage + $1/2$ your strength modifier.

Form of the Fish
Level: Wild Monk 3
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 standard action

You assume the form of a water-dwelling creature, such as a tuna or seal.

Your size changes to small.
Your base strength score changes to 14.
You gain a bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage + 1 1/2 times your strength modifier, which the subject's primary natural attack.
You lose your land speed, and gain a swim speed of 40'.

At your option at the time of manifesting, you may gain the ability to breathe water, but lose the ability to breathe air for the duration of the power.

Your aquatic form has no limbs that can be used to manipulate items, but you may be able to hold some items (or even creatures) in your mouth, depending on your size.

Augment: You can Augment this power in one or both of the following ways:

For every 2 additional power points you spend, the swim speed of your form increases by 10'.
For every 3 additional power points you spend, the strength score of your form increases by 4, and it is one size category larger (to a maximum of colossal, for a 15-point additional expenditure). This increases the damage die of the bite attack by one step.

Form of the Predator
Psychometabolism
Level: Wild Monk 4
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Power Points: 7

You assume the form of a large, dangerous beast, like a tiger or a bear.

Your size changes to large (long).
Your base strength score changes to 22.
Your base natural armor changes to 5.
You gain two claw attacks that deal 1d8 + your strength modifier, which are primary natural attacks.
You gain a bite attack that deals 2d6 points of damage + 1/2 your strength modifier, which is a secondary natural attack.
Your land speed changes to 40'.

Your form is that of a quadruped, granting you a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground.
However, the form has no hands, preventing you from using weapons and items requiring fine manipulation (although you can use your feet to hold things that can be easily gripped).

For every two additional power points you spend, the strength score of your assumed form increases by 3.
If you spend 6 additional power points, your size becomes huge when casting the power, and your strength score changes to 28. Your bite and claw attacks have their base damage dice increased by one step.
If you spend 12 additional power points, your size becomes gargantuan when casting the power, and your strength score changes to 34. Your bite and claw attacks have their base damage dice increased by two steps.
For every two additional power points you spend, the base natural armor of your assumed form increases by 1.

Form of the Treant
Level: Plant 5, Ranger 5, Transmuter 5
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Power Points: 9

The subject assumes the form of a mobile plant creature.

Your size changes to large (tall).
Your base strength score changes to 22.
Your base natural armor changes to 9, and you gain damage reduction 10/slashing.
You gain a slam attack that deals 1d8 points of damage + $1 1/2$ times your strength modifier, which is a primary natural attack.
You gain the trample special attack, which follows the normal rules for such attacks.
You gain immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, and critical hits.
Your land speed changes to 20'.

Your form is partially rooted when on the ground, granting you a +10 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground.

Your form has no hands, preventing you from using weapons and items requiring fine manipulation. However, you can bend your appendages to pick up objects and perform similar feats not requiring significant manual dexterity.

You gain a +16 racial bonus on hide checks when in forested areas, and a +16 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to pretend being a tree.

For every additional power point you spend, the natural armor of your assumed form increases by 1.
If you spend 4 additional power points, your size becomes huge when manifesting the power, and your strength score changes to 26. The slam attack has its base damage die increased by one step.
If you spend 8 additional power points, your size becomes gargantuan when manifesting the power, and your strength score changes to 30. The slam attack has its base damage die increased by two steps.

Ernir
2013-02-08, 05:15 PM
New Feats

Cobra Strike [General]

Monks of the Cobra Strike School specialize in agility and defense above brute force.

Prerequisites: Monk level 1st, Dex 13

Benefit: You may use your Dexterity modifier in place of your Strength modifier when determining the damage you deal with special Monk weapons and your unarmed strike.

Giant's Grapple [General]

Your modest physical stature does not prevent you from fighting in the big leagues.

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Monk level 5th.

Benefit: You gain the Improved Grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab) special ability for your unarmed strike. You may grapple and grab creatures regardless of their size category. You may use your Monk level in place of your Base Attack Bonus when calculating your grapple check modifier if doing so is beneficial to you.

Mantis Style [General]

You know forms and grabs inspired by the strong-gripped praying mantis.

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Monk level 6th.

Benefit: You gain the Constrict (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#constrict) special ability, dealing a number of points of damage equal to 1d8 + your Strength modifier (regardless of your size).

Overwhelming Attack [General]

A Monk trained in the Overwhelming Attack style always presses the advantage, preferring a showy display of all-out offense to any form of defense.

Prerequisites: Monk level 1st, Str 13

Benefit: You may treat your unarmed strike and all special Monk weapons as two-handed weapons for purposes of Disarming, Sundering, applying your Strength modifier to your weapon damage rolls, and determining the bonus damage you receive from the Power Attack feat (should you have it).

Passive Way [General]

The Passive Way focuses on making your opponent overreach himself or underestimate your skill.

Prerequisites: Monk level 1st, Wis 13

Benefit: You may use your Wisdom modifier in place of your Strength modifier when determining the damage you deal with special Monk weapons and your unarmed strike.

Tenacious Grappler [Tactical]

Once you have a grip on your opponent, you never let go.

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Base Attack Bonus +4, Escape Artist 8 ranks

Benefit: The Tenacious Grappler feat enables the use of three tactical maneuevers.

Irresistable Grapple: To use this maneuver, you must deal damage to an opponent with your unarmed strike. For a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom modifier after being struck (minimum 1), any Freedom of Movement effects the opponent may have provide him with a +10 bonus on Grapple checks to avoid or escape a Grapple, rather than allowing him to automatically succeed.
Silencing Hold: To use this maneuver, you must grab your opponent and successfully establish a hold (grapple). While grappling, your opponent is not able to speak or otherwise use his mouth to create loud noises.
Instant Ensnarement: To use this maneuver, you must pin an opponent in a grapple while holding at least 30' of rope. Once the pin has been established, you can bind the opponent with the rope in place of making an attack. Aside from the action required, the binding functions as described under the Use Rope skill.

Ernir
2013-02-08, 05:17 PM
End notes

If there are incompatible feats and ACFs you'd like to see, tell me! I really want to make this usable with existing material.

Timeline:
February 8th, 2013: Original posting. Whew, this has been on the slow cooker on this end for a while. Glad to finally get it out.

Ernir
2013-02-08, 05:19 PM
Reserved Space the first.

Ernir
2013-02-08, 05:20 PM
Reserved space the second and final. Comment away!

peterpaulrubens
2013-02-08, 08:55 PM
This looks fantastic!

Just so I'm clear: a 1st-level monk with Two-Weapon Fighting could make 3 unarmed strikes on a full attack: two with Flurry of Blows, and 1 with TWF?

Garryl
2013-02-08, 09:51 PM
The 4th (and 5th) level powers are messed up on the power list. You somehow included everything from Diamond Soul (4th) to Oak Body (5th) inside the link for Diamond Soul. On a related note, the link for Diamond Soul is broken (duh).

Ernir
2013-02-08, 11:08 PM
This looks fantastic!
Whoo! \o/

Just so I'm clear: a 1st-level monk with Two-Weapon Fighting could make 3 unarmed strikes on a full attack: two with Flurry of Blows, and 1 with TWF?

Yup.

I've been thinking of the Flurry attacks as the ones that are added last, but the end result is the same. Of course, you'd be taking attack roll penalties for both.

The 4th (and 5th) level powers are messed up on the power list. You somehow included everything from Diamond Soul (4th) to Oak Body (5th) inside the link for Diamond Soul. On a related note, the link for Diamond Soul is broken (duh).

Oops. It was a quotation mark inside the Hadoken link that was missing. Fixed, thanks.

nonsi
2013-02-09, 02:09 AM
Neat & clean. Very nice :smallsmile:
I don't associate the monk with psionics, but this is definitely elegant.

Zireael
2013-02-09, 02:46 AM
This is brilliant! I see nothing to pick at...

Ernir
2013-02-09, 01:09 PM
This is brilliant! I see nothing to pick at...

Whoo! Thanks for the compliments.

Anyone here who disagrees with the approach, or thinks I could do something better? :smallbiggrin:

ErrantX
2013-02-09, 02:25 PM
Wow.

Let me repeat, wow.

This has to be my favorite monk fix. You took the simple elegance of the psychic warrior and gave it what monk always needed: simplicity and smoothness of operation without the mass of useless class features. This is very well thought out, incredibly well executed, and honestly, I can't really find flaw with this at all.

Kudos sir, I just found the monk class I'll be using in my 3.5 games from here on out.

-X

Draz74
2013-02-09, 02:49 PM
I'd be a bigger fan of this if I hadn't done something quite similar several years ago. :smalltongue: (I can tease you because you know I'm a big fan of your work in general, Ernir, right?) I must admit, yours might have turned out more elegant. Mine had more Monk features preserved, but I don't remember if I rewrote the Power List at all, and certainly not so extensively, with powers explicitly replacing old Monk features. Instead, my PsyWar progression was simply delayed by two levels (very similar to Tashalatora). Eh. If I were to use one of them, I'd use yours, but that's partly just because I don't want to have to Search through old threads to find mine. :smallwink:

I do worry that this Monk won't have enough swift/immediate actions to use all their "OCF" powers that are swift/immediate manifestations. For example, being unable to use Evasion and Fast Movement in the same round is kinda sad compared to the 3.5e Monk. Also makes Linked Power (CPsi) even more of a must-have than it already is for PsyWars.

If your intent is to make Monks fully functional in (re-fluffed) gauntlets, you should probably add gauntlets to the list of monk weapons for purposes of Flurry of Blows.

Nitpick on your "Notes" under Perfect Self: Monks never had a problem being raised from the dead (at least not since 3.0e). The biggest issue with being turned into an Outsider was losing Enlarge Person buffs.

The Timeless Body power is nothing like the Timeless Body Monk feature. If you want your Monk to be able to do everything the old one could, you might have to roll the no-aging thing into your version of Perfect Self.

Odd. I always thought the fluff was very similar ("unlock the power from within one's self") and applauded when 4e made the connection explicit.

Ernir
2013-02-09, 10:12 PM
Wow.

Let me repeat, wow.

This has to be my favorite monk fix. You took the simple elegance of the psychic warrior and gave it what monk always needed: simplicity and smoothness of operation without the mass of useless class features. This is very well thought out, incredibly well executed, and honestly, I can't really find flaw with this at all.

Kudos sir, I just found the monk class I'll be using in my 3.5 games from here on out.

-X
Thank you greatly for the kind words!

It's especially flattering that you said this was well thought out. Because that's something I really try hard to do before I put homebrew out to be picked at. :smallredface:

I'd be a bigger fan of this if I hadn't done something quite similar several years ago. :smalltongue: (I can tease you because you know I'm a big fan of your work in general, Ernir, right?) I must admit, yours might have turned out more elegant. Mine had more Monk features preserved, but I don't remember if I rewrote the Power List at all, and certainly not so extensively, with powers explicitly replacing old Monk features. Instead, my PsyWar progression was simply delayed by two levels (very similar to Tashalatora). Eh. If I were to use one of them, I'd use yours, but that's partly just because I don't want to have to Search through old threads to find mine. :smallwink:
Heh. I had little illusions about me inventing the wheel. However, I didn't/don't know about anyone actually doing it the way I wanted to, so, here we are. :smallwink:

I do worry that this Monk won't have enough swift/immediate actions to use all their "OCF" powers that are swift/immediate manifestations. For example, being unable to use Evasion and Fast Movement in the same round is kinda sad compared to the 3.5e Monk. Also makes Linked Power (CPsi) even more of a must-have than it already is for PsyWars.
To be honest, I didn't expect each Monk to use all the OCFs. Especially since most of them are highly situational. I did want to have them around as options, this being a Monk fix and all, but I also don't want to place particular emphasis on them.

But yes. This is a Psychic Warrior, and it inherits the strained action economy of that class.

If your intent is to make Monks fully functional in (re-fluffed) gauntlets, you should probably add gauntlets to the list of monk weapons for purposes of Flurry of Blows.
Oops, thought I had done just that. Fixed!

Nitpick on your "Notes" under Perfect Self: Monks never had a problem being raised from the dead (at least not since 3.0e). The biggest issue with being turned into an Outsider was losing Enlarge Person buffs.
Hmm, yes, that was a perfectly and obviously bad example, wasn't it? Changing it. :smallconfused:

The Timeless Body power is nothing like the Timeless Body Monk feature. If you want your Monk to be able to do everything the old one could, you might have to roll the no-aging thing into your version of Perfect Self.
Indeed it isn't anything like the class feature. I thought I'd use that power because it happened to share the same name, and in my opinion, names are just as important as the nature when dealing with a group as conservative as 3.5 players are.

But adding it to Perfect Self is a fine idea! It's more or less a flavor ability anyway as-is (barring polymorph shenanigans). I think I'll do it.

Draz74
2013-02-10, 04:25 AM
Found mine. In case you're curious. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60060)

Ernir
2013-02-10, 09:45 AM
Found mine. In case you're curious. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60060)

Interesting.

Particularly, making Stunning Fist a power. It's a bonus feat as-is, (technically) accessible by other classes.
My first thought was to make it a Psionic feat (requiring focus expenditure), but all implementations like that I could think of ended up being just a nerf, which I really didn't want. End result being that I left it alone.

Draz74
2013-02-11, 01:45 AM
Interesting.

Particularly, making Stunning Fist a power. It's a bonus feat as-is, (technically) accessible by other classes.
Yeah, I may have forgotten that at the time. :smallredface: :smallamused: Though I suppose there's no reason the two can't coexist.

My first thought was to make it a Psionic feat (requiring focus expenditure), but all implementations like that I could think of ended up being just a nerf, which I really didn't want. End result being that I left it alone.

Well, my other Monk fix from about two years ago just had a class feature that said "if you have the Stunning Fist feat, and you expend psionic focus while using it, it doesn't count against your uses/day" or something along those lines.

Eldan
2013-02-11, 08:00 AM
I like it. I wanted to do something similar, but probably less careful and extensive for a while. My idea was basically "take psywar, drop bonus feats, add unarmed strike", but this works better.

Slight concern: does it lose anything compared to the psychic warrior? Otherwise, you just made that class superfluous.

Hm. Different power list. That would take a while to analyze in detail.

Draz74
2013-02-11, 05:51 PM
Slight concern: does it lose anything compared to the psychic warrior? Otherwise, you just made that class superfluous.

More restrictive bonus feat selection (at least if the PsyWar can select [Fighter] feats from PHB2, ToB, etc.).

Proficiencies (which can be gained back with a dip, sure, but using them would invalidate most of the extra features this Monk gets anyway. I guess you'd end up with more skill points and better Ref/Will, at least).

And yeah, different power list. I'm not sure whether it's actually an overall nerf, but it could be; at least the omission of Expansion hurts.

Overall, you ask a valid question.

Ernir
2013-02-12, 04:06 PM
Well, my other Monk fix from about two years ago just had a class feature that said "if you have the Stunning Fist feat, and you expend psionic focus while using it, it doesn't count against your uses/day" or something along those lines.
Hmm. I'd rather update the feat than the class, but yes, not a bad idea.

I like it. I wanted to do something similar, but probably less careful and extensive for a while. My idea was basically "take psywar, drop bonus feats, add unarmed strike", but this works better.
Well, basically, that's what I did here too. Good to hear you like the execution. :smalltongue:

More restrictive bonus feat selection (at least if the PsyWar can select [Fighter] feats from PHB2, ToB, etc.).

Proficiencies (which can be gained back with a dip, sure, but using them would invalidate most of the extra features this Monk gets anyway. I guess you'd end up with more skill points and better Ref/Will, at least).

And yeah, different power list. I'm not sure whether it's actually an overall nerf, but it could be; at least the omission of Expansion hurts.

Overall, you ask a valid question.
This is a concern. Mostly, it's the additional Flurry attacks that concern me - base saves are nice, but I don't remember seeing a class made or broken by them.

Mostly, I'm hoping that the PsyWar's more accessible strength in powerful combat styles (THF and natural attacks) as well as feat and ACF options evens it out.
Incidentally, this is what I'd be most interested in seeing playtests on.

Eldan
2013-02-12, 04:14 PM
Anyone interested in building sample characters across a few levels and then looking at what they can do, then?

Ilorin Lorati
2013-02-13, 01:44 PM
The image is from Dragon magazine #375, page 23.

I like this. I'm always apprehensive when someone makes a psionic monk fix, but overall this one appears to keep the flavor of the monk and only adds to it when necessary.

Also, the Hadoken attack's name made me laugh.

Ernir
2015-02-04, 05:14 PM
[2 years later]

I've fixed the tables, modified the Paw of the Leopard power (it turned out kind of bonkers) and added some powers from Complete Psionics to the power list.

The image is from Dragon magazine #375, page 23.

I like this. I'm always apprehensive when someone makes a psionic monk fix, but overall this one appears to keep the flavor of the monk and only adds to it when necessary.

Also, the Hadoken attack's name made me laugh.

Hey, thanks for the source!

Allen90
2015-04-21, 04:59 AM
Hi, I've read this rework and I totally fell in love with it.
Just asking now: how will Tashalatora work with this?
Easy example:
I'd like the Spirit weapon using monk, so I'll take 2 levels of your monk class and then max out the Soulknife. For which purposes the two classes stack?
Hard example:
Now We're gonna merge two spellcasting classes: I'd take 2 monk levels and then max cleric/druid. I have high Wis so I can do that.
The question is the same as before: for which purposes the two classes stack?

Or simply you're merging the Tashalatora feat (removing it from the game) with the monk class?

Edit:
Another thing.
This rework adds to the monk all the love he needed, but maybe it's too much.
You gain:
- Flurry in armor (really? Martial arts wearing a complete armor if you gain proficiency? I'd remove this for both RPG flavour and class balance)
- Psiwarrior bonus feat + unarmed damage + flurry. (maybe you should decrease the number of bonus feats, 1st, 2nd and every 4 levels? 1 2 6 10 14 18? or every 5? 1 2 5 10 15 20?)
In addition do this class levels stack with warrior level for feat requirements? If yes, with how much penalty? I'd say it doesn't stack.
- Last but not least: all high ST (You're probably having high Dex and High Wis, for balancing issue, you'd want to dump at least one ST)

Ernir
2015-04-21, 07:50 PM
Hi, I've read this rework and I totally fell in love with it.
Yay! Thanks for the interest. :smallsmile:

Just asking now: how will Tashalatora work with this?
Easy example:
I'd like the Spirit weapon using monk, so I'll take 2 levels of your monk class and then max out the Soulknife. For which purposes the two classes stack?
Hard example:
Now We're gonna merge two spellcasting classes: I'd take 2 monk levels and then max cleric/druid. I have high Wis so I can do that.
The question is the same as before: for which purposes the two classes stack?

Or simply you're merging the Tashalatora feat (removing it from the game) with the monk class?
I assumed the feat would be replaced as far as this class is concerned. It's already a merge of the old Monk and the Psychic Warrior. Tashalatora-ing this with another class isn't something I had in mind.

Edit:
Another thing.
You gain:
- Flurry in armor (really? Martial arts wearing a complete armor if you gain proficiency? I'd remove this for both RPG flavour and class balance)[/
- Psiwarrior bonus feat + unarmed damage + flurry. (maybe you should decrease the number of bonus feats, 1st, 2nd and every 4 levels? 1 2 6 10 14 18? or every 5? 1 2 5 10 15 20?)
In addition do this class levels stack with warrior level for feat requirements? If yes, with how much penalty? I'd say it doesn't stack.
- Last but not least: all high ST (You're probably having high Dex and High Wis, for balancing issue, you'd want to dump at least one ST)

I've been worried about balance too. So far, only the original version of the Paw of the Leopard power has been put on the chopping block, though.

I'm not worried about flurry in armor. Wearing armor is mostly an AC adjustment as far as stats are concerned, and armor still negates the AC Bonus class feature. Difference is just that now people can make some kind of Iron Monk if they feel like it.
It's mostly the Flurry that worries me of those options, and yes, taking it out on the feat or powers known progression sounds like the most reasonable thing to do... but so far, it hasn't been much of a problem. Getting extra flurry attacks just isn't doing much more than compensating for the inherent mediocre-ness of unarmed fighting compared to the PsyWar's usual fighting styles, THF and natural attacks.
I don't think I understand this one. What's ST? What happens if the character has high ability scores?

Xerlith
2015-04-22, 04:28 AM
Edit:
Another thing.
You gain:
- Flurry in armor (really? Martial arts wearing a complete armor if you gain proficiency? I'd remove this for both RPG flavour and class balance)

In my opinion you're overshooting it a bit now - the "balance" is what gave us the Monk in the first place (all high saivng throws and cool abilities? Nerf BAB, make the abilities weak, etc). The flurry in armor is, if anything, awesome. Martial artists more often than not DO wear armor - mostly light protection, but still.
Psiwarrior +Unarmed Damage + Flurry is almost exactly what the Tashalatora feat multiclass gave anyway. Hardly something unbalancing. Not when a Swiftblade gish can throw around at least as many attacks when utilized to the utmost extent of gish-ness.
As for all high saving throws - let them be. With the amount of no-save-just-die spells the casters throw around, a Monk being awesome at evading some of the more common dangers is just that - awesome. And that's just fine.

I'm not worried about flurry in armor. Wearing armor is mostly an AC adjustment as far as stats are concerned, and armor still negates the AC Bonus class feature. Difference is just that now people can make some kind of Iron Monk if they feel like it.
It's mostly the Flurry that worries me of those options, and yes, taking it out on the feat or powers known progression sounds like the most reasonable thing to do... but so far, it hasn't been much of a problem. Getting extra flurry attacks just isn't doing much more than compensating for the inherent mediocre-ness of unarmed fighting compared to the PsyWar's usual fighting styles, THF and natural attacks.
I don't think I understand this one. What's ST? What happens if the character has high ability scores?[/list]

Flurry is okay. Let it be as it is.

I think the last one means Saving Throws. In my opinion they're okay. I mean, the original monk had them too and was far from broken. Even the Favoured Soul, a T2 caster has all high STs and is widely seen as inferior to the Cleric.

Ziegander
2015-04-22, 08:10 AM
With the adjusted power list so chock full of new powers, and old class features, this is a gem. Really want to play this now.