PDA

View Full Version : Are you a homebrewer? Are you bored? Swing on by!

sirpercival
2013-02-08, 05:28 PM
Hi all.

I... have a hugely long homebrew to-do list. There are 39 individual items on it, and some of the items have several (or many) tasks associated with them. It's overwhelming; I have way more ideas for homebrew than I'll ever be able to write, and the number of almost-finished projects is starting to approach the ridiculous.

That's where you come in. I'm asking for help, here, in finishing some of my projects and crossing stuff off the list that keeps getting longer and longer.

I'll take any help I can -- as much as full writeups, as little as one-line idea germs or a list of ability names. The only caveat is that I reserve the right to edit whatever you write, possibly to the point of complete hack-sawing if it doesn't quite hit what I'm looking for. Even in those cases I'll be grateful, because it gives me a foundation to work from and makes my job easier.

Either way, I'll of course acknowledge any and all contributors.

You'll notice that a lot of this stuff is writing fluff text for things. While I can do it, writing fluff doesn't come as naturally to me as writing mechanics, so it often gets left by the curb. If you are good at writing fluff, I bow down to your prowess.

So, here's the current list of things I need (subject to change), in no particular order:
Finishing the fluff text for the Animus race (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14621751#post14621751) thank you Frathe!
Finishing Conquered Mountain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266280) (I can write up maneuver descriptions once I have a full list of maneuvers and stances)
A full complement of blemishes for the Carrionwalker (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8089.0) (minmaxboards link) {Amechra, I'm looking at you! :smallbiggrin:}
Legacy items for three of the Warcrafter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256614) disciplines
More feats for Ethos of the Wyrm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266415)
A collection of things for the Magipunk Campaign Setting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254437):
~Racial feats for Gremlin & Chloromorph (thanks Temotei!)
~Inner Plane Nodes for the Planeswalker
~Racial substitution levels for most of the base classes
~Fluff text for most of the base classes (prcs too, but they haven't been ported yet)
Writing 3 monsters (Chant Archon, Witch Devil, Rite-bound Demon) for Ritual Magic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253475)
More spheres for my Epic Spellcasting Revamp (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267714), particularly Radiance
Major Favored Plane abilities for my Great Wheel Ranger (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=7789.0).

Whew. That's less than half of my list, but it's the stuff that I'm least likely to get to on my own... at least in a timely fashion. If we manage to finish all of it, then (1) I'll be amazed, and (2) I'll turn my army of homebrewing conscripts loose on other things.

If you'd like to be one of THE MOST AWESOME PEOPLE EVER and contribute, post here and I'll tell you where I'm up to and my current ideas for the particular task. Then drop whatever you come up with in this thread, and I'll edit & add to the official version, with acknowledgements.

Thank you!!!

--sirpercival

EDIT: I asked some people over on minmaxboards to help with writing fluff, so I'm taking a lot of it off of this list.

Frathe
2013-02-09, 02:16 AM
Would this work for the Animus fluff? Sorry if I should've asked for more info before doing it.

ANIMUS SOCIETY
Animi generally live alone or in small groups, a tendency produced by their long lifespans, in which they see many cities and organized societies rise and fall. However, they will band together if necessary to defeat a major threat to their race or to the balance of the universe. Animi tend to focus on the accumulation of knowledge and personal experience, with the most respect given to the wisest and most experienced—not necessarily the oldest. Their culture greatly values patience as a virtue.
Alignment: Animi are generally any neutral, an alignment stemming from their innate connection to both substance and void.
Lands: Animi live throughout the Material Plane, where their ancestors were forced to migrate from the Astral Plane long ago.
Settlements: Because of their ancestors' extraplanar origins, animi are more likely than most other humanoids to settle in other planes. They can also be found in cities and forests throughout the Prime Material.
Beliefs: Most Animi believe deeply in the profound power of the emptiness and the energy of the universe
Relations: Animi often do not get along well with other races; they are more devoted to their learning and to long-term planning than to pleasing others, and often frustrate the short-lived races as a result. They get along better with longer-lived creatures such as elves, who better understand their patient ways.

ANIMUS ADVENTURES
Animi often set out on quests to increase their knowledge of the universe as a whole. Their knowledge of the planes makes them unusually well-suited to a planescape campaign, and exploration of the planes may be what it takes for an experienced animus to see new parts of the universe.

sirpercival
2013-02-09, 07:43 AM
Would this work for the Animus fluff? Sorry if I should've asked for more info before doing it.

ANIMUS SOCIETY
Animi generally live alone or in small groups, a tendency produced by their long lifespans, in which they see many cities and organized societies rise and fall. However, they will band together if necessary to defeat a major threat to their race or to the balance of the universe. Animi tend to focus on the accumulation of knowledge and personal experience, with the most respect given to the wisest and most experienced—not necessarily the oldest. Their culture greatly values patience as a virtue.
Alignment: Animi are generally any neutral, an alignment stemming from their innate connection to both substance and void.
Lands: Animi live throughout the Material Plane, where their ancestors were forced to migrate from the Astral Plane long ago.
Settlements: Because of their ancestors' extraplanar origins, animi are more likely than most other humanoids to settle in other planes. They can also be found in cities and forests throughout the Prime Material.
Beliefs: Most Animi believe deeply in the profound power of the emptiness and the energy of the universe
Relations: Animi often do not get along well with other races; they are more devoted to their learning and to long-term planning than to pleasing others, and often frustrate the short-lived races as a result. They get along better with longer-lived creatures such as elves, who better understand their patient ways.

ANIMUS ADVENTURES
Animi often set out on quests to increase their knowledge of the universe as a whole. Their knowledge of the planes makes them unusually well-suited to a planescape campaign, and exploration of the planes may be what it takes for an experienced animus to see new parts of the universe.

Great stuff, thank you! I'll put it into the main post.

sirpercival
2013-05-02, 07:42 PM
Posting to say that I've added a couple things and crossed off a couple as well.

inuyasha
2013-05-02, 09:12 PM
:smalltongue: I wanna help I wanna help lemme see what i can do!

EDIT: I can make some gremlin racial feats I think :)

inuyasha
2013-05-02, 09:35 PM
Feyborn [Racial]
The forces of the fey flow stronger within your blood than they do with your other gremlin kin
Prerequisites: Gremlin
Benefits:
you gain immunity to sleep and paralysis
Normal: Yeah your related to fey but are you one? no
Special: This feat may only be taken at level 1 during character creation

Forgetouched [Racial]
You are an amazing engineer, even among your kin, but the fires of the forge have scarred and disfigured you
Benefits:
You have an additional +2 on engineering checks, a +2 on all craft checks and resistance to fire 5, but you are ugly and disfigured, taking a -2 charisma
Normal: Oh sure, you can be ugly...wait...you wanted fire resistance? Too bad

Fey metabolism [Racial]
Like some of your fey kin, you have a horrible metabolism, this however does have some perks
Prerequisites:Gremlin
Benefits:
You have -1 hit point per hit die, and your weight is 3/4 of what it used to be, but you are now immune to all ingested poisons, and you no longer need to eat food, you merely swallow it then regurgitate it (wholly intact) 2 rounds later
Normal: yeah...you have stomach problems

Extreme feyblood [Racial]
Youre fey blood has awakened, revealing hidden powers
Prerequisites: Gremlin, Feyborn
Benefits:
Your DR improves to 3/cold iron, and your fly speed increases to 30
Normal: oooh you can wave your fingers, just like a FAIRY! YOUR MAGIC!

Sorry if these got too silly, would you like more, and would you like to reveal more things on your list :)

Some ideas for blemishes (idk how to stat them up)
Undead arms coming out of the ground to entangle someone
Killing parts of the brain to cause Int or Wis damage
A touch attack causing a deathlike coma
The ability to walk and leave no tracks, scent, or trace of your existance
flood a creatures nose with the scent of rotting flesh, nauseating them
a very temporary zombie coming out of the ground to give you a boost over a wall or something
the ability to walk upon ground and make it infertile for a year and a day
diseased spit
one that makes the characters blood infused with negative energy, and splashes on to people who hit it with slashing and piercing weapons

ok thats all i got for now, but i would love to see more of your list

LordErebus12
2013-05-02, 10:04 PM
A full complement of blemishes for the Carrionwalker (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8089.0) (minmaxboards link)

Hmm, do you mind if I cannibalize the class a bit for my remake of my Bone Horror class?

Also, whats the goal with the blemishes? what do you want/need them to do? Are we talking growing claws, gills, fangs, etc. by eating them?

Amechra
2013-05-02, 11:19 PM
New Term: Obscured. If an object, creature, concept, or place is obscured, it counts as one step less familiar or common for all purposes for each veil of Obscurement it has placed on it.

For example, a well-known figure, whose life's story would normally be common knowledge, has two veils of Obscurement placed on him. For the purposes of a Bardic Knowledge check, he would be obscure; for the purposes of a friend scrying him, he would be a second-hand acquaintance.

If an object, creature, concept, or place is more obscure or unfamiliar than the most obscure or unfamiliar category that is normally allowed by the effect (for example, if a place is obscured one step past Extremely Obscure), that effect automatically fails to give any sort of information about the object, creature, concept, or place.

Obscure
Acting Below Notice
Sphere: Obscure (Glamer)
Prerequisite: Mind Blank, Banality (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10546571&postcount=17)
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft / 2 levels)
Target: One willing creature.
Duration: 24 hours

You place a powerful illusion that there is nothing to notice on... something?

Upon this spell being cast, your target benefits from a single veil of Obscurement, due to simply being so incredibly below notice by everyone.

For the next 24 hours, your target gains a +20 circumstance bonus on all Disguise, Hide, and Move Silently checks, and benefits from the Mind Blank spell.

In addition, the first time that a creature interacts with your target during the duration of this spell, they must make a Will Save against a DC of 10 + half your character level + your spellcasting ability score, or have their attitude moved one step closer to Indifferent for the duration.

If this effect would move an Indifferent creature one step "closer" to Indifferent, that creature loses the ability to perceive your target or any of their actions through any of their senses, unless those actions would directly cause them harm.

You are excluded from the effects of this spell.

Refinement: This spell may only be refined five times; the first four times place an additional veil of Obscurement on your target, increases the duration by 24 hours, and moves creatures interacting with your target one step closer to Indifferent.

The last refinement treats the duration of the spell as Permanent for the purposes of attempting to learn about your target's actions over the five day period when this spell is in effect.

Shrouded in Lies
Sphere: Obscure
Prerequisites: Screen, Sequester
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Range: See text
Target: A single concept
Duration: Instantaneous

You spend 10 minutes lecturing your friends on topic that they steadily find harder and harder to understand.

While casting this spell, you must select a person, place, group, or concept that would qualify as common knowledge or a public figure.

Upon its completion, your target has a single veil of Obscurement placed on it; in addition, you may choose a single piece of misinformation, called a Lie, that is permanently imbedded in the information itself.

This misinformation could consist of removing a single fact about the target ("Dragons are really really scary"), adding a single "fact" ("King Murderface will give you half his kingdom if you give him a belly-rub"), or altering a single fact ("Dwarves Elves are prissy, nature-loving stuck-up pretty boys.")

If an effect or a skill check is made to learn any information about your target and fails, but would have succeeded if your target wasn't under the effects of Obscurement, they are treated as if they had succeeded, except that they are subject to the Lies placed by the casting of this spell.

Over the course of one day after this spell is cast, any memories, stories, or records about the subject are altered to match the altered "truth"; the pervasiveness of this effect is so total that effects that detect or forbid lies treat the misinformation as truth for all purposes.

Refinement: Each tier of refinement for this spell increases the number of veils of Obscurement placed by 1, and allows you to add another Lie to that subject.

Everdistant Imposition
Sphere: Oscurement
Prerequisite: Antipathy
Casting Time: Full-Round Action
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 10 Minutes

You whisper a few words, and you suddenly seem far away. Very far away.

For the duration of this spell, all Divination effects, Spot checks, and Listen checks concerning you are made as if you were ten times further away from the creature using the effect or making the check than you actually are.

In addition, you may, as a swift action, reduce the duration of the spell by 1 minute to become Unreachable; while Unreachable, your effective distance is increased by one order of magnitude, and Divination spells treat you as if you were on a different plane.

Refinement: Each tier of refinement you attain increases the duration of this spell by 10 minutes, and increases your effective distance by one order of magnitude.

In addition, while Unreachable, you are treated as if you were (1 + number of tiers of refinement) times further away for all effects not already covered by this spell.

Aeternal Shade
Sphere Obscurement (Darkness)
Requirements: Skyrift (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050114a)
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Area: 100 square miles of land, extending 1 mile into the air.
Duration: Permanent (D)

With a sigh, you close your eyes; within an hour, the whole area is shrouded with mist and mystery.

Upon completion of this spell, the area is covered in a metaphorical darkness; to anyone outside it, the area looks dimly lit at best.

Within the area, light levels are considered one step darker for all purposes (natural daylight -> bright illumination -> shadowy illumination -> darkness -> magical darkness); those inside only see this as a hazy mist that restricts their vision and dulls their hearing.

The "darkness" covering the area restricts all senses as if they were sight, with low-light vision and darkvision being expanded to apply to all senses as well.

In addition, any divination effect targeting any place, object, or creature within the area has its caster level and save DC reduced by 2 for each step darker that area is than bright illumination (so magical darkness would reduce the caster level and save DC by 6).

This spell is considered a 10th level Darkness effect; in addition, each 10 ft cube is considered its own spell for the purposes of being dispelled by light effects.

Refinement: Each tier of refinement increases the reduction to caster level by one, and causes the area to be treated as if it were one step darker. Every other tier of refinement increases the reduction to save DCs by one.

There Never Was A You [APEX]
Sphere: Obscurement
Prerequisites: Acting Below Notice, Shrouded in Lies, Everdistant Imposition, Aeternal Shade
Casting Time: See text
Target: 1 creature

You list of every reason why your target never was; the world obliges. They oblige. You smile.

When you begin casting this spell, select a single creature within Close range; they must make a Will save against a DC of 10 + half your character level + your spellcasting ability modifier, or begin to have their past made so secret that it never happened.

You may continue casting this spell for up to one minute, taking a full-round action each round; while this spell is being cast, your target takes a single negative level each round.

This negative level does not stem from negative energy, but from a pervasive sense of secrecy, hiding them from themselves; if they receive enough negative levels to kill them, they instead are rendered catatonic as they forget how to think and breath and move.

Once you have finished casting the spell, your target is inflicted with a number of veils of Obscurement equal to the number of rounds you spent casting the spell, and any creature that knew your target has a number of years of their memory pertaining to your target equal to ten times the negative levels inflicted by this spell edited to completely omit your target.

You may cast this spell in an inverted fashion; if you do so, your target does not suffer from the negative levels until the end of the spell. However, each round of casting applies a single veil of Obscurement to your target and edits ten years of memory from people that they knew, as described above.

Either way, once the casting of this spell has begun, there is nowhere your victim can hide or run to; once chosen, the spell applies to them even if they were to run a hundred miles or travel to a different plane. Even if they die, their memory is relentlessly effaced from reality, leaving mourners wondering why their cheeks are wet.

Refinement: Each tier of refinement you attain increases the number of negative levels or years of memory erased each round by 1 and ten, respectively.
'

NOTES
By the way, There Never Was A You is possibly one of the most messed up things I have ever written.

And I have written effects that allow you to spark pogroms and become a horrifically nightmarish stalker that can't be escaped from.

While I was writing it, the only thing I could think of was the last spark of recognition fading from the eyes of the target's spouse and children.

I'd say that There Never Was A You is quite possibly several times worse than death.

Amechra
2013-05-02, 11:27 PM
By the by, everyone, Blemishes tend more towards persistent effects than active ones; to use one of your suggestions as an example, it would be appropriate to grant a Carrionwalker an emanation, extending out 5ft per Warp, that duplicates the Entangle spell, but which doesn't require plants (and, you know, gets the ability to entangle incorporeal creatures later on...)

Vadskye
2013-05-02, 11:28 PM
You make me happy, sirpervicial. As luck would have it, my personal homebrew to do list also has exactly 39 items on it as present. I hope you complete yours!

LordErebus12
2013-05-02, 11:37 PM
By the by, everyone, Blemishes tend more towards persistent effects than active ones; to use one of your suggestions as an example, it would be appropriate to grant a Carrionwalker an emanation, extending out 5ft per Warp, that duplicates the Entangle spell, but which doesn't require plants (and, you know, gets the ability to entangle incorporeal creatures later on...)

Grasping Souls
Spiritual hands or undead hands (if you are in a graveyard and corpses are nearby) grasp at foes within range, functioning like an entangle effect.

Animation Field
When in areas of decaying bodies, they burst up from the earth and follow you, animated as if through the animate dead spell.

Hunger of Time
Exposed corpses begin rotting at an accelerated rate, becoming clean bones in minutes. after the bones are finished being stripped of flesh, you gain fast healing X for 10 minutes per warp, where X is the number of bodies stripped.

Edit:
perhaps you should reduce the number of blemishes until you reach that number or beyond; maybe 10 is good?

sirpercival
2013-05-02, 11:48 PM
Feyborn [Racial]
The forces of the fey flow stronger within your blood than they do with your other gremlin kin
Benefits:
you gain immunity to sleep and paralysis
Normal: Yeah your related to fey but are you one? no
Special: This feat may only be taken at level 1 during character creation

Forgetouched [Racial]
You are an amazing engineer, even among your kin, but the fires of the forge have scarred and disfigured you
Benefits:
You have an additional +2 on engineering checks, a +2 on all craft checks and resistance to fire 5, but you are ugly and disfigured, taking a -2 charisma
Normal: Oh sure, you can be ugly...wait...you wanted fire resistance? Too bad

Fey metabolism [Racial]
Like some of your fey kin, you have a horrible metabolism, this however does have some perks
Prerequisites:Gremlin
Benefits:
You have -1 hit point per hit die, and your weight is 3/4 of what it used to be, but you are now immune to all ingested poisons, and you no longer need to eat food, you merely swallow it then regurgitate it (wholly intact) 2 rounds later
Normal: yeah...you have stomach problems

Extreme feyblood [Racial]
Youre fey blood has awakened, revealing hidden powers
Prerequisites: Gremlin, Feyborn
Benefits:
Your DR improves to 3/cold iron, and your fly speed increases to 30
Normal: oooh you can wave your fingers, just like a FAIRY! YOUR MAGIC!

Sorry if these got too silly, would you like more, and would you like to reveal more things on your list :) It's not the silliness -- they seem to be focused more about making you more fey-like, rather than more unique effects which I was aiming for. I really appreciate your help, though, and hopefully these will spur me into action!

ok thats all i got for now, but i would love to see more of your list The (mostly complete) list is here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4149.msg95509#msg95509).

Hmm, do you mind if I cannibalize the class a bit for my remake of my Bone Horror class? Not at all. I'm glad you like it :)

New Term: Obscured. If an object, creature, concept, or place is obscured, it counts as one step less familiar or common for all purposes for each veil of Obscurement it has placed on it.

For example, a well-known figure, whose life's story would normally be common knowledge, has two veils of Obscurement placed on him. For the purposes of a Bardic Knowledge check, he would be obscure; for the purposes of a friend scrying him, he would be a second-hand acquaintance.

If an object, creature, concept, or place is more obscure or unfamiliar than the most obscure or unfamiliar category that is normally allowed by the effect (for example, if a place is obscured one step past Extremely Obscure), that effect automatically fails to give any sort of information about the object, creature, concept, or place.

Obscure
Acting Below Notice
Sphere: Obscure (Glamer)
Prerequisite: Mind Blank, Banality (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10546571&postcount=17)
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft / 2 levels)
Target: One willing creature.
Duration: 24 hours

You place a powerful illusion that there is nothing to notice on... something?

Upon this spell being cast, your target benefits from a single veil of Obscurement, due to simply being so incredibly below notice by everyone.

For the next 24 hours, your target gains a +20 circumstance bonus on all Disguise, Hide, and Move Silently checks, and benefits from the Mind Blank spell.

In addition, the first time that a creature interacts with your target during the duration of this spell, they must make a Will Save against a DC of 10 + half your character level + your spellcasting ability score, or have their attitude moved one step closer to Indifferent for the duration.

If this effect would move an Indifferent creature one step "closer" to Indifferent, that creature loses the ability to perceive your target or any of their actions through any of their senses, unless those actions would directly cause them harm.

You are excluded from the effects of this spell.

Refinement: This spell may only be refined five times; the first four times place an additional veil of Obscurement on your target, increases the duration by 24 hours, and moves creatures interacting with your target one step closer to Indifferent.

The last refinement treats the duration of the spell as Permanent for the purposes of attempting to learn about your target's actions over the five day period when this spell is in effect.

Shrouded in Lies
Sphere: Obscure
Prerequisites: Screen, Sequester
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Target: A single concept

You spend 10 minutes lecturing your friends on topic that they steadily find harder and harder to understand.

While casting this spell, you must select a person, place, group, or concept that would qualify as common knowledge or a public figure.

Upon its completion, your target has a single veil of Obscurement placed on it; in addition, you may choose a single piece of misinformation, called a Lie, that is permanently imbedded in the information itself.

This misinformation could consist of removing a single fact about the target ("Dragons are really really scary"), adding a single "fact" ("King Murderface will give you half his kingdom if you give him a belly-rub"), or altering a single fact ("Dwarves Elves are prissy, nature-loving stuck-up pretty boys.")

If an effect or a skill check is made to learn any information about your target and fails, but would have succeeded if your target wasn't under the effects of Obscurement, they are treated as if they had succeeded, except that they are subject to the Lies placed by the casting of this spell.

Over the course of one day after this spell is cast, any memories, stories, or records about the subject are altered to match the altered "truth"; the pervasiveness of this effect is so total that effects that detect or forbid lies treat the misinformation as truth for all purposes.

Refinement: Each tier of refinement for this spell increases the number of veils of Obscurement placed by 1, and allows you to add another Lie to that subject.

Everdistant Imposition
Sphere: Oscurement
Prerequisite: Antipathy
Casting Time: Full-Round Action
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 10 Minutes

You whisper a few words, and you suddenly seem far away. Very far away.

For the duration of this spell, all Divination effects, Spot checks, and Listen checks concerning you are made as if you were ten times further away from the creature using the effect or making the check than you actually are.

In addition, you may, as a swift action, reduce the duration of the spell by 1 minute to become Unreachable; while Unreachable, your effective distance is increased by one order of magnitude, and Divination spells treat you as if you were on a different plane.

Refinement: Each tier of refinement you attain increases the duration of this spell by 10 minutes, and increases your effective distance by one order of magnitude.

In addition, while Unreachable, you are treated as if you were (1 + number of tiers of refinement) times further away for all effects not already covered by this spell.

Aeternal Shade
Sphere Obscurement (Darkness)
Requirements: Skyrift (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050114a)
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Area: 100 square miles of land, extending 1 mile into the air.
Duration: Permanent (D)

With a sigh, you close your eyes; within an hour, the whole area is shrouded with mist and mystery.

Upon completion of this spell, the area is covered in a metaphorical darkness; to anyone outside it, the area looks dimly lit at best.

Within the area, light levels are considered one step darker for all purposes (natural daylight -> bright illumination -> shadowy illumination -> darkness -> magical darkness); those inside only see this as a hazy mist that restricts their vision and dulls their hearing.

The "darkness" covering the area restricts all senses as if they were sight, with low-light vision and darkvision being expanded to apply to all senses as well.

In addition, any divination effect targeting any place, object, or creature within the area has its caster level and save DC reduced by 2 for each step darker that area is than bright illumination (so magical darkness would reduce the caster level and save DC by 6).

This spell is considered a 10th level Darkness effect; in addition, each 10 ft cube is considered its own spell for the purposes of being dispelled by light effects.

Refinement: Each tier of refinement increases the reduction to caster level by one, and causes the area to be treated as if it were one step darker. Every other tier of refinement increases the reduction to save DCs by one.

There Never Was A You [APEX]
Sphere: Obscurement
Prerequisites: Acting Below Notice, Shrouded in Lies, Everdistant Imposition, Aeternal Shade
Casting Time: See text
Target: 1 creature

You list of every reason why your target never was; the world obliges. They oblige. You smile.

When you begin casting this spell, select a single creature within Close range; they must make a Will save against a DC of 10 + half your character level + your spellcasting ability modifier, or begin to have their past made so secret that it never happened.

You may continue casting this spell for up to one minute, taking a full-round action each round; while this spell is being cast, your target takes a single negative level each round.

This negative level does not stem from negative energy, but from a pervasive sense of secrecy, hiding them from themselves; if they receive enough negative levels to kill them, they instead are rendered catatonic as they forget how to think and breath and move.

Once you have finished casting the spell, your target is inflicted with a number of veils of Obscurement equal to the number of rounds you spent casting the spell, and any creature that knew your target has a number of years of their memory pertaining to your target equal to ten times the negative levels inflicted by this spell edited to completely omit your target.

You may cast this spell in an inverted fashion; if you do so, your target does not suffer from the negative levels until the end of the spell. However, each round of casting applies a single veil of Obscurement to your target and edits ten years of memory from people that they knew, as described above.

Either way, once the casting of this spell has begun, there is nowhere your victim can hide or run to; once chosen, the spell applies to them even if they were to run a hundred miles or travel to a different plane. Even if they die, their memory is relentlessly effaced from reality, leaving mourners wondering why their cheeks are wet.

Refinement: Each tier of refinement you attain increases the number of negative levels or years of memory erased each round by 1 and ten, respectively.

NOTES
By the way, There Never Was A You is possibly one of the most messed up things I have ever written.

And I have written effects that allow you to spark pogroms and become a horrifically nightmarish stalker that can't be escaped from.

While I was writing it, the only thing I could think of was the last spark of recognition fading from the eyes of the target's spouse and children.

I'd say that There Never Was A You is quite possibly several times worse than death. Well, this is f'in awesome. I love it! I'm going to edit it some, mostly to be consistent with the way I word things; first I have a question, though. What happens if the target of There Never Was A You is immune to neg levels? Is there a save against the neg levels? If the target dies from the negative levels, does it rise as a wight as normal, or something else, or nothing?

You make me happy, sirpervicial. As luck would have it, my personal homebrew to do list also has exactly 39 items on it as present. I hope you complete yours!Lol! Thank you :) It doesn't help that I'm adding stuff to it all the time... blargh not enough hours in the day, not by a LONG shot.

LordErebus12
2013-05-03, 12:01 AM
Amechra, what about an ability to strike your name from fate, losing your truename, no one can summon, scry, etc. you? Even Gods without the knowledge domain cannot remember you.

basically a more powerful obscure.

Amechra
2013-05-03, 12:23 AM
If you check There Never Was A You, it specifically states that you go catatonic if you hit enough negative levels to die instead of dying.

The negative levels are not a negative energy effect, so in most cases people aren't going to have a specific "I'm immune to negative levels" in their immunity suite. Also, I don't have it piercing immunity due to the fact that, beyond the initial save to negate the entire effect, there is no save against the negative levels.

I'm thinking of having it so that, instead of removing them normally, you "heal" a negative level at the rate of 1 a day, which represents you stitching your psyche back together. The memories are still gone, but you at least are moving around in a serviceable manner.

As for "what happens to people who are immune to the whole shebang?" Well, in the case of the first permutation of the spell, they just get smacked by a buncha veils.

In the second case, their friends and enemies forget that they exist. And so do you. Better hope you have a contingency planned...

Oh, and I'm just going to go on record with the following numbers thing:

Your average commoner has a +0 to spot and listen. There is a -1 penalty to your Spot and Listen checks for every ten feet the thing you are looking at is away from you.

Upon casting Everdistant Imposition, they can't hear you if you are 15 feet away and you are chatting merrily away.

If you make yourself Unreachable... your average person wouldn't be able to hear you shout if you stood 5ft away from them (I mean, you are technically 1500 ft away as far as they are concerned; with a -150 to their check, of course they can't hear you!)

And that is before refinement.

To give a basic sense of how far this spell makes you from everyone else, senses wise, if you were standing 5 ft away from them...

0 Refinements puts you 50ft away.

1 Refinement puts you a bit under 1 and a half Football fields away .

2 Refinements puts you just under a mile away.

3 Refinements puts you at about the cruising altitude of a jet.

4 Refinements puts you comfortably outside of the atmosphere.

5 Refinements puts you at an hour away at sea level. For someone going at the speed of sound.

Let's skip forward a bit.

11 Refinements will get you to just over 1 AU (distance from Earth to the Sun).

17 Refinements puts you over a Light Year away.

28 Refinements puts you past the edge of the Observable Universe.

And they can still hit you with a bow (if, you know, they can scry people on other planes.)

They hope.

Amechra
2013-05-03, 12:26 AM
Amechra, what about an ability to strike your name from fate, losing your truename, no one can summon, scry, etc. you? Even Gods without the knowledge domain cannot remember you.

basically a more powerful obscure.

I'd honestly hand that out as a feat; I'm kinda at a limit of 5 spells for the project percy is working on.

Besides, Obscurement does a lot of that; technically, each veil of Obscurement increases the category of the Knowledge check, so more than 3 would make the question "who is [Blank Name]" unknowable.

They can't learn your truename, anyway.

sirpercival
2013-05-03, 08:42 AM
Alrighty then. I'm going to work on the Gremlin feats, and post Obscurement in the Epic Spellcasting thread.

You guys rock!

Re: those blemishes, I'm going to let Amechra comment on them before I add them to the Carrionwalker.