PDA

View Full Version : "Bad Luck's abound" (3.5 PRC) PEACH Much appreciated

The_listener
2013-02-13, 11:42 AM
As an occasional comic reader and a long time D&D player, I occasionally find myself thinking "How would that work in DnD?" And recently I found myself doing that with Black cat's probability field, and below is the slow process of working it out.

The Black Cat

http://www.kittyspryde.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/120_Ultimate_Comics_Spider_Man_152.jpg

Any fool can have bad luck; the art consists of knowing how to exploit it.

With just a touch of luck a peasant can kill a king, the worlds richest man can become destitute. Luck is a very real, very palpable force, and the Black Cats know this more than most.

The Black cats are the chosen of chance, a loosely organized group of men and women who's sole similarity lies in the power they wield, the ability to manipulate luck and probability.

Black cats are highly solitary individuals, Con men, thieves and warriors. Each out purely for themselves, regardless, if a Black cat crosses your path, you'll know all about it.

Entry Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills:Any Three skills +9
Feats: Any three Luck feats.
Special: The character must have survived an encounter (Scaled to his level) with no outside help.
This Prestige class uses the popular homebrew rule of a natural 1 causing a critical failure and a natural 20 being a critical success.

Hit Dice: D6

Class skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, Use Rope.

Skill Points Per Level: 6+Int modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Crossed path -1, Loan luck

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Lucky Streak +1/1 round, extra luck

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Crossed path -2

4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Lucky Streak +1/2 rounds, Who needs skill?

5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Crossed Path -3, Not so lucky 1/day

6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Lucky Streak +2/2 rounds, Lucky miss

7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Crossed Path -4, Not so lucky 2/day

8th|+6/+2|+6|+6|+2|Lucky Streak +2/3 rounds,

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Crossed Path -5, Not so lucky 3/day.

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Lucky Streak +3/3 rounds, Go for broke

[/table]

Weapons and Armour proficiencies: A Black cat gains no new proficiencies.

Crossed path (Su): You know what they say, "When a black cat crosses your path, black luck follows". A black cat projects an aura of bad luck, altering probability around her. In a radius equal to the Black Cat's Charisma modifier times 10ft (Example: A charisma 16 Black Cat would have a range of 30ft), all creatures take a penalty to all d20 rolls equal to the pre-listed number. If this penalty would cause the roll to drop to 1 or lower, the roll is treated as a natural 1. The Black Cat may not suppress this ability, however Black cat's are immune to their own aura and the auras of other Black cats.

Loan luck: Sometimes, someone needs a little help. As an immediate action Black cat may expend any of their Luck re-rolls to allow a target creature within 60ft a to use that re-roll in her place. (Example: A fighter misses an attack within 50ft of a Black Cat, who immediately expends one of her re-rolls that day to allow the Fighter a single re-roll on that attack.)

Lucky streak: When a Black Cat gets lucky, it stays lucky. When a Black Cat roll's a natural 20 and achieves a critical success, she activates Lucky streak automatically. For the number of rounds indicated (1 at level 2, 2 at level 4 and 3 at level 8) she gains a modifier to all D20 rolls equal to the pre-listed number. If this bonus would cause a roll to be changed to 20 or higher, it is counted as a critical success (Not a natural 20).

Extra Luck: A Black Cat gains a number of daily re-rolls equal to her charisma modifier.

Who needs Skill?: Once per day as a swift action, you can add your class level as a luck bonus on all skill checks you make until the start of your next turn.

Not so lucky: Sometimes, when things go right, they can go so wrong. Once per day at fifth level, when an creature within range of your "Crossed Path" aura rolls a natural 20, you may cause it to be treated as a natural 1 instead. You may do this an additional time at levels Seven and Nine.

Lucky Miss: Sometimes, attacks that seemed to be a dead set, just seem to fall short in front of a Black cats. At 6th level, a Black cat gains a luck bonus to her AC equal to her Charisma modifier.

Go for broke: By throwing logic to the wind and relying solely on luck, a Black Cat can preform truly impossible feats. Once per day per point of charisma as an immediate action, a Black Cat can make the Dm flip a coin and call heads or tails, before the Dm reveals the result, the Black Cat must declare her actions for the round. After she has, the Dm reveals the coin, if the Black Cat called the coin correctly, all actions she has taken this round are considered Critical successes. If she called incorrectly however, they are considered Critical failures.

The_listener
2013-02-14, 09:11 AM
Bump, just for the front page.

Any thoughts?

JoshuaZ
2013-02-14, 10:53 AM
This Prestige class uses the popular homebrew rule of a natural 1 causing a critical failure and a natural 20 being a critical success.

Natural 1 being an automatic failure and natural 20 being an automatic success for attack rolls and saves is not homebrew but standard 3.5. Critical failures on a natural 1 in the sense of fumbles and the like are not part of 3.5 and they also aren't particularly popular as far as I can tell.

The_listener
2013-02-15, 08:16 AM
I only really say popular as they are in use with every RL game I have played in and has become a bit of a run of the mill rule for myself, one I oddly enjoy even noting it's occasional downsides.