PDA

View Full Version : A small house in the slums

Deadly
2006-11-10, 12:14 PM
Somewhere in the slums stands a small house, completely ordinary and uninterresting like any of the hundreds just like it. In this house lives an elderly, poor man and his dog. Absolutely nothing unusual or interresting here.

[hr]

The man sleeps in an old chair, the dog curled up next to him.

A shadow moves in through the window. It moves unseen and unheard through the house and into the cellar below the house. It returns a little later My lady, we have a winner! This is perfect...

The shadow drifts over behind the man and touches him slighly before seemingly disappearing.

Deadly
2006-11-11, 09:35 AM
The old man emerges from the cellar, having spent all night down there. He absentmindedly throws the dog some dried meat before leaving.

Deadly
2006-11-11, 01:22 PM
The old man returns and puts a bag of bamhacon on the table. He then finds a small kitchen knife and disappears into the cellar again This has to work!

The dog excitedly studies the bag on the table, though unable to reach it.

Lykan
2006-11-11, 01:26 PM
A presense can be felt, then dissipears moments later

((Couldn't resist, sorry. :tongue:))

Deadly
2006-11-11, 01:44 PM
Your security bothers me, Jadic!

The old man comes out of the cellar and places the knife on the table Not my fault you had to send me right in the arms of some cursed dragon god! You might as well have arranged a meeting with Shoar himself.

The presence sneers Don't utter that name! I know this place poses a great risk, but if you pull it off not even He will stand in our path! I suggest you stay hidden, you've already attracted too much attention.

I'm working on it, alright? I could use some help with this! he sighs and goes back to the cellar.

Deadly
2006-11-11, 03:47 PM
The man returns from the cellar and sits down in his chair with a frown. He takes the book he got from the library and flips through it a bit.

Deadly
2006-11-11, 04:44 PM
After reading a bit at random the old man looks up "HA! To think this stupid book would actually be useful!" he says exitedly, then looks around Whoops... right, better keep the voice down. No need to attract anything.

He takes the bag of bamhacon, throws it to the surprised dog before leaving the house.

Deadly
2006-11-11, 05:54 PM
The man returns with a small bag. He quickly heads into the basement with a smirk. This have got to be good!

Deadly
2006-11-12, 10:10 AM
Strange, barely heard sounds emerge from the cellar, like faint whispers. Thousands of tiny feet move about for a time, then disappear, moving unseen through the shadowy depths of town.

The old man emerges with an evil smirk I did it! In a matter of minutes, I will know everything worth knowing about this miserable Town.

Or everyone will know everything about you.

The man sits down in his chair Why so pessimistic? I have a thousand eyes. Nothing will stay hidden from me now.

If you say so. Regardless, the tunnels are nearly done, and the portal have been opened. We are nearly ready, don't screw up now, Jadic.

Bah! You can't spoil my fun, this is too great for even your negativity to ruin. he grins and throws the dog some dried meat.

Deadly
2006-11-12, 11:51 AM
I'm sorry to disturb your happyness, but two of your rats have been captured in the fox temple. They are being questioned right this moment.

The old man looks up What in the nine hells were they doing in a fox temple, anyway. Damn this! he says and falls over in his chair, unconcious. A shadow leaves his body and disappears.

Deadly
2006-11-12, 12:25 PM
The shadow reappears and touches the man before fading away. The man wakes up and frowns Curse that!

You are piling up problems, Jadic!

The old man shakes his head and leans back, thinking.

Deadly
2006-11-12, 01:29 PM
The old man looks up from his thoughts That paladin... I need to get rid of her, somehow.

Indeed, though there are others to worry about. Perhaps even more.

He frowns Perhaps if you took care of those, I could deal with her.

Town business is your job, not mine. I only interfered today because you screwed up completely. Seriously, I have never seen you acting this stupid.

Hey! I'm not used to cities, give me a break. But just wait and see, I'll take care of the girl, you can count on that.

I'm starting to get worried. You better show me some results soon.

Deadly
2006-11-12, 02:16 PM
The old man goes unconcious and a shadow leaves him. The shadow looks around This identity won't last long, I must find a new. Hmm, perhaps...

The shadow disappears through the window, into the slums.

Deadly
2006-11-12, 04:09 PM
The shadow appears again and disappears as it touches the old man. He wakes up with a grin That was fun!

And utterly useless! Seriously, you could have done it while she was alone, that would have finished her off.

Yeah yeah, I get it. I'll make sure she dies properly next time.

The old man gets up and walks into the cellar.

[hr]
The old man walks out of the cellar and leaves with a frown.

Deadly
2006-11-12, 09:11 PM
The old man returns and sits down in his chair. I'll bet the whole damn Town knows everything now. And you absolutely had to make a fool out of me.

You are a fool, Jadic. And quite honestly I don't get it. A week ago you were the single most feared man back home, and the most hunted, now I bet you couldn't scare even a single of those stupid rats. It's pathetic!

It's this place, it drives me nuts. I hate cities, you know that, and this one is the worst one yet.

You have been in Epitha and Amkesh a million times and done fine. It's your imagination, nothing else. Now stop whining and do something.

Whatever. The old man closes his eyes with a sigh.

Deadly
2006-11-14, 12:54 PM
The old man emerges once again from the cellar. ... keeping track will get harder.

Yes, but not much compared to the advantage. You have to remember that this place isn't as secret anymore as would be prefered.

True, but still. It means more work. I shall do as you ask, however.

Good. I am sending some resources through to you. But now I have work to do.

The old man shrugs and falls over in his chair, unconcious. A shadow leaves his body and disappears through the window.

Deadly
2006-11-14, 04:43 PM
The shadow glides back in through the window ... very strange indeed, but that might be the least of our problems. It's only a temporary setbact, after all.

True. I will deal with the defect, and relocate the portal to the vault as planned. But we need to keep a low profile for a while.

The shadow touches the old man and disappears Very good, I will try to stay low for a while.

He throws the dog some dried meat and goes to the cellar.

Deadly
2006-11-15, 04:33 PM
The old man comes back out of the cellar, looking thoughtful Are you sure? I have never heard of something like that.

It is not so different from my own transformation, actually. And while unexpected, it might turn out to be an advantage, though further observation is needed.

The man nods while looking through a small book I can see a use for the link, but the taint draws too much attention as I see it. And I don't need to remind you that we have more than enough of that already.

True, but this is too great a chance to pass up on. If we can use this to our advantage, then I believe we should.

The man sighs Very well, as long as you're the one dealing with it. Just don't get too excited.

Deadly
2006-11-24, 01:24 PM
The old man walks out of the basement and glances out a window So what is your plan?

I want those foul dragon worshipers dealt with, permanently. It may no longer be strictly necessary for our plans, seeing as the mayor have been replaced, but in the end we will be forced to deal with them one way or another... might as well do it now, and on our terms.

The old man scratches his chin thoughtfully How do you suggest we deal with them, then?

I think a more offensive approach might work. Take what resources you need, but focus your efforts.

Very well. The old man nods to himself and walks out the door.

Deadly
2006-11-28, 01:20 PM
I have sent your instructions to our ally, he should be on the spot soon.

The old man scratches the dog and smiles Good, I shall enjoy this I think.

I'm sure you will, Jadic, but for now I need your aid in another matter.

The old man nods and disappears.

Deadly
2006-12-04, 05:20 PM
A dark figure appears in a shadow and sits down in the chair. The dog looks up then runs off to hide in the basement, whining in terror. The figure grins and leans back in the chair.

A little later the old man appears and glances at the figure, he then goes and looks out the window That didn't go as planned.

The figure shrugs "Not really. The rat failed, obviously, and you failed informing me about my target."

The rat was your idea, and I gave you what information I had at the time. It is your job to not only kill but make sure you have enough information as well.

"Nevermind, but it seems to me that your scheme is getting out of hand rather quickly. But I guess my oppinion doesn't count." he says coldly and studies his dagger

The old man turns to him Perhaps. I shall have to consult Andracil on the current matters. Honestly I don't think she expected this much resistance to our cause so quickly.

"Give her my greetings, I shall await news of your progress eagerly." the figure says and disappears. The old man nods to himself and walks into the basement.

Deadly
2006-12-07, 06:39 AM
We have been too unprepared in this matter. It is time we rectify that.

The old man appears again and looks out the window with a dark frown And I blame you, Andracil. If you had cared enough to use your powers we would not have been unprepared.

I left Town matters in your hands, convinced that you would be competent enough, so that I could focus on matters outside the Town. I see I was wrong.

The old man sneers

Anyway, it is time we do this right, and strike hard. I want you to take care of that paladin and her friends, personally. Show her what fear is, Jadic. Atleast I know you're good at that.

And what about you, then? Will you just sit in your throne and get fat, or will you actually aid me in this plot of yours?

It is as much your plot as it is mine. But I shall aid you, if only to ensure some success for once.

The old man scowls, sits down in his chair and goes unconcious. A shadow leaves him and disappears.

Deadly
2006-12-08, 09:38 AM
The shadow reappears and wanders around, searching a bit ...doing pretty well, if I do say so myself. Paladins are always the most fun to play with, they always have a lot of shadows stuffed away in the back of their minds. There's no greater fun in life than digging around in those shadows and bringing them out in plain sight. Never fails to amuse me.

Yes, very delightful. Just don't forget to be careful.

The shadow continues its search Oh come on, what's gotten you in this foul mood?

Someone had the audacity to oppose me and not only take our agent but destroy our most recent ally as well.

The shadow looks up with a frown, though a slight hint of amusement can be seen in it's cold eyes I take it you've taken good care of this fool, then?

No, not yet. I want the fool to suffer.... and suffer he will!

The shadow grins It's nice to see that your icy heart haven't melted away yet. and pulls out a small bag from a drawer before leaving.

Oh, I'll show him just how cold I can be...

Deadly
2006-12-10, 10:39 AM
The shadow appears and touches the old man before disappearing. The old man looks up, for a moment a look of terror in his eyes but that soon fades. He walks over and looks out the window thoughtfully

So, Jadic, any news on the paladin? Have you broken her yet?

The old man smirks No, my lady, a dragon takes a certain time to properly roast. You, of all, should know that.

It's a good thing for you that I have a sense of humor, dog, otherwise you would be roasting right now!

Heh, that's hillarious. the old man grins and walks into the cellar.

Deadly
2006-12-10, 06:31 PM
The shadow appears, black blood dripping from two large wounds, and stumbles to the floor Cursed... bitch!

Oh, poor Jadic, having problems, eh?

Shut... up!

Oooh, did you see how she beat you? That was amazing! I've heard about her too, they say that she's really good... the best, even.

The shadow sneers and drags itself into a chair I... know, damn it! he pulls out a small vial and drinks it quickly, the wounds healing a bit

Well, his holiness surely must dislike you, since he's sending her to deal with you. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with her, though.

I'll... kill her! You just... wait and... see! Damn! he staggers down into the cellar.

I look forward to seeing that, I truly do.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 01:18 PM
((Page 4! Took me a while to find))

The librarian stops outside the house and folds her arms tightly. She sorely misses her swords now and isn't keen on staying here long.

"This is it," she says.

Deadly
2006-12-17, 01:22 PM
((It's in the directory, under Residential.))

Aeri walks up and looks at the house. Her eyes narrow as she walks a bit closer He's definatly been here... a lot. I don't think he's here right now, though. she walks up and looks in through the window carefully Can't see anything in there...

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 01:25 PM
((I'll remember that in future))

"I hope that's a good thing," the librarian replies, edging a little closer to the house.

Deadly
2006-12-17, 01:29 PM
((Makes it easier to find things... if I remember to keep it updated :)))

Aeri nods and walks up to the door Me too.

With a little effort she gets the door open, the lock obviously worth nothing. She steps in and looks around warily, her hands glowing slightly.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 01:33 PM
"One good heal spell, that's all I've got," the librarian mutters, following Aeri inside.

Deadly
2006-12-17, 01:35 PM
Aeri looks at her Something wrong?

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 01:40 PM
"I'm a swordswoman at heart," the librarian says. "I feel a bit lost without them. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stand by and let you walk in here alone. I can offer you one good healing spell, enough for you to make a run for it if we get into trouble. You know more about this thing than I do - the town can't afford to lose you. Me? I'm kind of expendable."

Deadly
2006-12-17, 01:44 PM
Aeri shakes her head That is not true, you are not expendable, the world needs more people like you. she unsheathes a small, silvery sword and hands it to Libris Here, it's not much, but it's better than nothing.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 01:51 PM
Aeri shakes her head That is not true, you are not expendable, the world needs more people like you. she unsheathes a small, silvery sword and hands it to Libris Here, it's not much, but it's better than nothing.

The librarian weighs the sword in her hands, and then wields it comfortably. She smiles.

"Much better," she says.

Deadly
2006-12-17, 01:55 PM
Aeri smiles, then turns back and walks into the livingroom, keeping an eye out for anything out of place. She stops suddenly as she spots a figure sitting in a large chair. A pair of glowing blades appear in her hands.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 02:01 PM
"What's-" The librarian pauses, glad she's still got the sword in hand.

Deadly
2006-12-17, 02:05 PM
Aeri tenses briefly, then she sighs and walks over to the chair, her blades fading away False alarm... Aeri kneels down and creates a faint light, enough to see a bit. The figure in the chair is the old man (Michael). He's unconcious and looks weak. Aeri kneels down beside the chair and studies him Poor man...

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 02:07 PM
"I recognise him," the librarian says. "He befriended Kratos... the cub's rather fond of him. Is he all right?"

Deadly
2006-12-17, 02:11 PM
Aeri frowns He'll recover if he gets some proper rest. Jadic must have used him for spying on you, and left him here when he didn't need him. He's not been treated very well. We need to get him to a temple when we leave, a place where he can rest safely.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 02:16 PM
"Inari's is quite well guarded," the librarian says. She looks uneasy for a moment. "Fenric's Chief Priest there - he's a good man, he'll look after Michael."

Deadly
2006-12-17, 02:18 PM
Aeri nods and places a glowing hand on Michael, sending a bit of positive energy into him. She then stands up and looks around. Finding nothing of interrest she turns to the stairs leading down, shivering slightly There's something wrong down there...

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 02:25 PM
"I'll go if you go," the librarian says, breaking into a grin. "Gods, this reminds me of being back at the College Paladine."

Deadly
2006-12-17, 02:33 PM
Aeri smiles at her Whatever is down there, we'll sort it out. With a sigh her blades reappear and she walks carefully down the stairs. At the end of the stairs she stops in front of a heavy door, waiting for Libris before opening it.

As the door goes up, a smell of death and decay washes over you. The room behind the door is largely empty, except for a long table against one wall, covered in blood and a variety of tools. There are dead rats scattered about the floor and in a corner several corpses have been disposed next to a crude cage containing a heavily wounded wolf.

Aeri shivers at the sight Oh my...

Wayril
2006-12-17, 02:35 PM
A dark figure enters through the door without opening it. He is only visible to those who have caused the death of another. A black iron helm, with horns protruding backward rests on his featureless head. Two glowing red eyes peer out seeming to be fixed on something in the distance. Heavy armor with several spikes adorns his back, but his chest unprotected with dark red skin. A long flowing cloak drags across the floor behind him.

Blood stains the floor in his footsteps. He moves slowly with a strange patience. Clearly not of this world he begins to chant mysterious words. His presence fills many with anger and thirst for blood. Outside a red horse stands motionless, apart from a strange raspy breathing pattern. Sanguine smoke exhaled from its nostrils floats to the ground and dampens the area around it with fresh blood.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 02:37 PM
The librarian steadies herself against a wall at the sight and smell. As soon as she can move, she approaches the wolf.

Deadly
2006-12-17, 02:42 PM
The wolf looks up at Libris and snarls before jumping at her. Luckily the bars of the cage manage to hold it, though the wolf continues throwing itself against the cage in a wild rage, apparently oblivious to it's own wounds.

Aeri looks at it Something is very wrong with that one.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 02:45 PM
The librarian, slightly startled, nods. She kneels down, folding her wings and making herself as small as possible. She turns to Aeri.

"I can try to speak to it, though," she says, before turning back to the wolf.

{Canine}: "I'm not an enemy."

Deadly
2006-12-17, 02:49 PM
The wolf continues it's mad rage, not calmed by Libris' words. It's a wonder it hasn't passed out yet from it's wounds.

Aeri searches the table, glancing at the wolf nervously. She picks up a few vials of dark liquid and frowns.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 02:51 PM
The librarian is wary of healing the wolf in this state - once healed, she predicts it will still try to attack.

{Canine}: "What are you afraid of?" she demands.

Wayril
2006-12-17, 02:53 PM
War proceeds to the cage of the wolf and seems to whisper. We are all enemies. The voice can be heard in your head, and can be heard by even those who can not understand a language.

Outside a horse neighs. War turns and leaves through a wall as blood trails behind.

Deadly
2006-12-17, 02:54 PM
The wolf doesn't answer. Aeri turns and is about to say something when, crashing against the cage once more, the wolf falls over with a sickening crack of bones. It lies still inside the cage.

Aeri walks over, staring in shock at the dead wolf, shivering at the voice in her head but ignoring it for now

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 03:09 PM
The librarian takes a few, shuddering breaths as tears run down her face.

"Poor thing... Who could do something like this?" She gets to her feet, angry as she looks around the room. "Why do this at all?"

Deadly
2006-12-17, 03:12 PM
Aeri sighs sadly, holding up the vials she found I think he's been experimenting with various alchemical substances. It's very likely that he was testing something on the wolf, and probably those other unfortunate souls too, though without further study it's hard to tell why.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 03:15 PM
The librarian looks at the dead wolf and her hand grips the sword tighter.

"I want him to pay for this," she says. "I want him to feel pain like the wolf did."

Deadly
2006-12-17, 03:20 PM
Aeri looks down at the corpses, for a moment remaining silent. He will recieve judgement for everything he's done. I won't let him escape. she says a bit absently and rubs her neck

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 03:39 PM
"You all right, Aeri?" the librarian asks, looking at her in concern. She looks around at their surroundings. "I don't think we should stay here much longer."

Deadly
2006-12-17, 03:42 PM
I'm... I'm fine. she turns to Libris and smiles a bit, then sighs and nods And you're right. Let's get out.

She quickly picks up vials and a few other things from the table before walking back up the stairs.

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 03:53 PM
The librarian does not need to be told twice and follows hastily.

Deadly
2006-12-17, 03:57 PM
Aeri looks around warily as they enter the livingroom, then goes over and picks up the old man. Better not forget him. she says before leaving, headed for the temple.

((I would have liked a fight here but I don't really have time, unfortunatly :())

The_Librarian
2006-12-17, 03:59 PM
((That's all right, my time is up now anyway.))

"Look... that temple makes me nevrous," the librarian admits, turning a little pink. "You're perfectly safe there, or else I'd go with you, but as it is..." she looks awkward. "I'd better go find Kratos."

She hurries off towards the tavern.

Deadly
2007-01-03, 05:13 PM
A shadow enters the abandoned home and sneaks around

So, you mean to go through with your plan?

The shadow moves into the cellar and looks around at the corpses What other choice do I have? It's only a matter of time before she tracks me down. If I have to fight her I want it to happen on my terms.

You're taking a great risk, Jadic, she's not as easily fooled.

The shadow sneers I know, that's why I need your help. I want her dead! Once and for all!

Very well. I suggest you don't screw up, then. You've done so too many times since we came here, and your fooling around is putting me at risk as well, which is something I don't appreciate.

Are you threatening me?

I am simply protecting my interrests. As I said, I suggest you don't screw up again.

The shadow picks up a few bags and vials and disappears.

Deadly
2007-02-04, 04:10 PM
A bleak stillness falls over the old, abandoned home. The beggars who have moved in after it was abandoned look up from their rest. The shadows grow slowly, reaching out towards the beggars like dark tentacles. Before they can even react, the beggars fall over dead, their life drained away in an instant. Their bodies slowly fade and become one with the shadows.

The shadows retreat, leaving no sign of what happened.