PDA

View Full Version : Player, or DM?

Drakeburn
2013-02-22, 12:14 AM
I just got this idea about an evil campaign where players start off as prisoners in this massive and elaborate prison.

Most of the campaign takes place in the prison, but getting to the main point:

I'm planning on experimenting with dungeon mapping with Google Sketchup.
And not only did I think of this campaign, I also thought of this character that I really, really, really want to play as for the campaign. But the problems are........

1. It feels a bit unfair to play as a character who is going through a dungeon I designed (kind of like sending Daedalus into the minotaur's labyrinth).

2. This would probably be the first campaign that I ever DM'ed, so I'm not sure about playing an NPC and DMing at the same time. (Any advice for first-timers?)

TheAmazingOP
2013-02-22, 12:53 AM
Addressing the "unfairness", you could always drop hints/ have clues (not overtly though) to help them get through the maze (e.g. through a map/magic item/landmarks, etc.).
Maybe drop false clues as well to mess with them. And to help keep the maze a maze, you could drop goodies at sidewinder trails and also subtly clue them in into it ("Lock up the weaponry! Prisoners have escaped!"), but make sure those sidewinders vary to keep freshness in the game and don't lead them directly back to the main path once the side trail is complete.
That'll help keep the maze mysterious but slightly more straightforward if you're worried about something too complicated.

ArcturusV
2013-02-22, 12:57 AM
Sadly I'd suggest not playing a DMPC in it. For reasons you listed. You may want to use Guest NPCs who are going to die Horribly or otherwise walk off/remain behind temporarily. But that would be the limit I'd draw. In a game like that running the adventure is more than enough to keep you busy, particularly if you are new.

Better to do one thing as well as you can, than two things half assed with split attentions, is more or less the logic you should follow.

Make sure to lay down some Law by the way before you start it off. Tell the players up front what sort of game you're expecting, themes, tones, and ask them to help rather than derail it.

Jack of Spades
2013-02-22, 01:01 AM
If you'd really prefer to be a player, you could always enthusiastically pitch the idea to someone whose DMing you enjoy and hope you can convince them to design a game around it.

Related idea: co-DM. Then, you have a reason for playing both sides (you need a character for when it's not your turn).

Rhynn
2013-02-22, 01:50 AM
1. It feels a bit unfair to play as a character who is going through a dungeon I designed (kind of like sending Daedalus into the minotaur's labyrinth).

2. This would probably be the first campaign that I ever DM'ed, so I'm not sure about playing an NPC and DMing at the same time. (Any advice for first-timers?)

You shouldn't have a "character of your own" in general. Nope, nope, nope. Been there when I was a teen, always a bad idea. (It's not an NPC when it's your character, anyway - that's a DMPC.)

If the players decide to bring along some useful NPCs, you'll be playing those. Leave it at that.

GnomeFighter
2013-02-22, 08:41 AM
Ye, no matter how experienced the GM GMPC's never work out well. Even if you do everything 100% fine the players may not feel the same. Unfortunatly it is often the way that you run things you would like to play.

Other than that jump in and give it a try.

Jay R
2013-02-22, 11:09 AM
You already know what's behind the door. The players don't. So you can't play the same game they are playing.

Play the "design and run a world" game instead. It's fun too.

Rhynn
2013-02-22, 11:24 AM

It's a freaking awesome game. (Much better, incidentally, than the "write and try to play out a story" game, which tends to be frustrating...)

Drakeburn
2013-02-22, 03:31 PM
You already know what's behind the door. The players don't. So you can't play the same game they are playing.

What is a "Design and run a world" game?

If you'd really prefer to be a player, you could always enthusiastically pitch the idea to someone whose DMing you enjoy and hope you can convince them to design a game around it.

Related idea: co-DM. Then, you have a reason for playing both sides (you need a character for when it's not your turn).

Well, I suppose that could work, if I can find someone willing to co-dm with a 3D world. You wouldn't by chance know a DM who knows how to work with Google Sketchup?

Synovia
2013-02-22, 04:03 PM

There's generally two types of campaigns:

1) Design a cogent, functioning world. Put the players in it and see what happens.

2) Design a plot. See how the players move along with that plot. Kill the BBEG

Number 2 tends to be the way that D&D initially worked (although the word plot could be replaced with "dungeon" in a lot of cases"). Number 1 is the way a lot of games like Fate work.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-22, 05:44 PM
I recommend against DMPCs. I've seen awful things happen with DMPCs. Don't do it.

ArcturusV
2013-02-22, 07:19 PM
Design and Run a World can also be a Cooperative thing. Like an old campaign I ran where I told players more or less "Here are some broad guidelines. Here is a random terrain map. Pick a spot, make up a civilization on that area."

So that the players created a lot of the culture, history, etc. I created the bare Rules/Themes I wanted, and the terrain itself. Once they were done creating and made their characters the world was handed over to me to run (Though I would ask for clarifications and input from players as appropriate to areas they designed).

kyoryu
2013-02-22, 07:34 PM
I'll just cut'n'paste my response from the other DMPC thread going on now...

DMPCs are tricky to do right. Done poorly, they can destroy games. Done well, they can certainly add to a game.

My opinion is that, in general, it's best to avoid them - in general, I've found that the risk of them is not worth the potential upside.

Especially as a GM, your job is to make a fun game for the players. The things you do should be to ensure the players have fun (note: This does not mean "automatically win everything"). Ask yourself the motivation for the DMPC - is it so the players have fun, or so *you* have fun?

Rhynn
2013-02-22, 10:45 PM

What it says - you desing a world and run it. That's what the GM/DM does, particularly in D&D. You don't need a PC of your own.

There's generally two types of campaigns:

1) Design a cogent, functioning world. Put the players in it and see what happens.

2) Design a plot. See how the players move along with that plot. Kill the BBEG

Number 2 tends to be the way that D&D initially worked (although the word plot could be replaced with "dungeon" in a lot of cases"). Number 1 is the way a lot of games like Fate work.

You got that the wrong way around. D&D was originally all about creating a world (Greyhawk, Blackmoor), usually starting with a dungeon. There were, generally, no pre-written plots. The PCs made their own stories.

Design and Run a World can also be a Cooperative thing. Like an old campaign I ran where I told players more or less "Here are some broad guidelines. Here is a random terrain map. Pick a spot, make up a civilization on that area."

It doesn't even have to be that overt, you can just do it organically:

"So you want to play a dwarf. Okay. Tell me about dwarves."

(And they don't have to tell you everything right then; just a broad outline, and you can all invent details later on and during play.)

Surfnerd
2013-02-23, 12:30 AM
I'd say DM for sure. Just make the character you are referring to an NPC, I'd make him an antagonist.

If its a prison there are probably gangs or alliances amongst inmates. Are there intelligent monsters or extraplanars imprisoned there as well? I mean a tortured and chained archon is another cool character you get to play as DM.

I personally would be uncomfortable with the notion of running someones DM concept. Living up to expectations and all that.

Anxe
2013-02-23, 12:52 AM
One of my first campaigns had a DMPC that I killed off in the first adventure. That worked pretty well, you could try that.

Jay R
2013-02-23, 11:00 AM

I just meant being the DM full-time, without a DMPC. It's interesting enough, and quite enough work, to keep you involved and fulfilled.