PDA

View Full Version : New types of Metamagic

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-28, 03:33 PM
These are a few new ways of paying for metamagic feats, which are designed to make metamagic available at low level. They're also intended to remain relevant at high level.

Bolster Spell (Metamagic)

By expending additional spell slots, you can cast more powerful spells.

Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of a bolstered spell are increased by half. A bolstered spell follows the normal rule that multiple numeric metamagic feats applied to a single spell interact in the most beneficial way possible.

Level increase: None, but a bolstered spell takes up two spell slots of the spell's level. For example, a Bolstered Fireball cast at caster level 10 deals 15d6 damage at the cost of two 3rd-level spell slots.

Strengthen Spell (Metamagic)

By expending even more spell slots, you can cast incredibly powerful spells.

Prerequisites: Bolster Spell.

Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of a bolstered spell are doubled. In addition, if the spell allows a saving throw, targets must save twice against its effects or be affected normally. A strengthened spell follows the normal rule that multiple numeric metamagic feats applied to a single spell interact in the most beneficial way possible.

Level increase: None, but a bolstered spell takes up three spell slots of the spell's level. For example, a Strengthened Fireball cast at caster level 10 deals 20d6 damage at the cost of three 3rd-level spell slots.

I created these to give low-level blasters a little more punch, and to make metamagic accessible to lower levels. It also works for healing. I originally had them spend two spell slots for double effect and three spell slots for triple, but then I realized that just amounted to casting two or three spells at the same time, so I made them a little less efficient.

Overcharge Spell (Metamagic)

You can strengthen a spell, but it has a chance to fail.

Only a spell already enhanced by another metamagic feat can be overcharged. The level increase increase from the other metamagic feat is ignored, but the spell has a cumulative 20% chance to fail per level increase in the other metamagic feat.

For example, an Overcharged Silent Magic Missile still uses a 1st-level spell slot, but has a 20% chance to fail. An Overcharged Empowered Magic Missile also uses a a 1st-level spell slot, but it has a 40% chance to fail because Empower usually increases a spell's level by +2.

The risky mage who's feeling lucky can even cast a Quickened Magic Missile in a 1st-level slot, but it only has a 20% chance to work.

Focus Spell (Metamagic)

By spending additional time on a spell, you can control more powerful magic.

Only a spell already enhanced by another metamagic feat can be focused on. The level increase increase from the other metamagic feat is ignored, but the spell's casting and preparation times are multiplied by the level increase of the other metamagic feat plus one. Focus Spell cannot be applied to a Quickened spell.

For example, a Focused Silent Magic Missile still uses a 1st-level spell slot, but takes two rounds to cast and twice as long to prepare. An Focused Empowered Magic Missile also uses a a 1st-level spell slot, but takes three rounds to cast because Empower usually increases a spell's level by +2.

I figured this would have primarily out-of combat uses, but given that most metamagics have in-combat bonuses it shouldn't be overpowered. Useful for getting the jump on someone, perhaps?

Quiddle
2013-03-21, 12:51 AM
I like the idea of paying for metamagic with more spell slots instead of spell level. How many spell slots do you think it would cost for a quicken?

Carl
2013-03-21, 01:30 AM
I think this is a better way of handling meta magic, period.

Just to Browse
2013-03-21, 02:18 AM
I seriously disagree. This encourages the 15-minute workday on an insane scale. Now casters will blow their entire load in a single combat, not because it took four rounds and they shot off their best spells every round, but because they spent one standard action used up all their best spell slots.

This isn't something the game should design itself around. Other penalties like lower saves, adding SR:yes, longer casting times, inflicting conditions after casting, those could be done, but encouraging nova is bad.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-21, 07:44 AM
I like the idea of paying for metamagic with more spell slots instead of spell level. How many spell slots do you think it would cost for a quicken?

Probably four, but it would still be a high-level feat because you don't have enough slots to spend five per round at low level. I don't even know if I'd make quicken a feat.

I think this is a better way of handling meta magic, period.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

I seriously disagree. This encourages the 15-minute workday on an insane scale. Now casters will blow their entire load in a single combat, not because it took four rounds and they shot off their best spells every round, but because they spent one standard action used up all their best spell slots.

This isn't something the game should design itself around. Other penalties like lower saves, adding SR:yes, longer casting times, inflicting conditions after casting, those could be done, but encouraging nova is bad.

Ouch. I'll leave these up to see if anyone else gives feedback, but I'll take your advice and add some more with different costs.

Ashtagon
2013-03-21, 08:47 AM
I remember in 2e, metamagic was essentially a series of spells instead of feats. You'd then cast your metamagic spell, and it'd affect the next "real" spell you cast.

However, every metamagic spell was always a higher spell level than the spells it could modify.

One thing I liked about this way of presenting metamagic was that it matched the cinematic idea of casters building up their magical energy over a few moments, rather than the feat-based system where it happens in the same time span as a standard spell.

Carl
2013-03-21, 07:34 PM

And i disagree just as seriously. Whilst permanancy and a bunch of broken spells are a big part of the magic issue. The other part is this whole concept that a 15 minute workday is even possible. A wizard that goes nova and burns his slots blasting through a couple encounters whilst the rest of the group looks on in awe should be relegated to hiding for the next half a dozen, (or however many), encounters of the day behind the rest of the party. They shouldn't be able to just sit down and regen their spells right there and then.

Obviously even the fairest system you could come up with that would prohibit the 15 minute workday would need one hell of an outlook change from casters and non-casters alike. And frankly whilst current casters could work within that framework just fine, it wouldn't be much fun. Throw down a half a dozen (or less depending on level), spells per encounter to weaken the enemy/buff allies, then sit back for who knows how many rounds whilst the martial types finish the job.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-29, 10:20 PM
Update: added Overcharge and Focus spells.

eftexar
2013-03-29, 10:34 PM
Followed your link AttilaTheGeek.

They definitely seem more balanced than normal metamagic feats. I never understand what thought possessed them to do metamagic in the way they did anyway.

If you made enough of these I'd just replace normal metamagic feats with them for spellcasting. Of course I'm working on my own metamagic fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277780), as part of my magic fix, too (sorry, I couldn't resist).

edit: Have you playtested any of these yet? While they do seem more balanced than normal metamagic feats I wonder what effect they have on gameplay at levels 1 and 2 where it is notoriously easy to die. I might be overreacting considering how weak spells are at those levels though. Either way Focus Spell seems to defeat the whole point.

Just to Browse
2013-03-29, 10:49 PM
Well, I'll reiterate that I like the idea of alternative metamagics, but I really don't like these new ones either.

Overcharge wouldn't be used by any caster in his right mind, because it makes the casting swingy at best (stronger effects with a wild failure chance), and gimped at worst (missing an entire turn for something minor). I'd rather get the satisfaction of knowing my spell won't spontaneously fail and eat up a slot over the fact that maybe I'll get to use my 20%-failure silent magic missile today. I'd really only get it for Arcane Thesis abuse since it's technically +0. If you really want to keep it, I recommend including a clause that allows the caster to partially mitigate the spell level (so taking 2 levels out of a quicken or 1 level out of a maximize), that way certain metamagics aren't truly all-or-nothing when you prepare them.

Focus Spell will literally only be used for buffs, and is the primest of prime candidates for persist spell, which would make Clericzilla cry. I'd place a hard cap on the number of metamagic levels this feat can alleviate and then make the by-round cost something more like full-round (and swift?) for 1 and full-round + standard for 2. That should make the feat more like what you're looking for.

Another thing to consider is whether or not these metamagic reducers should actually be [Metamagic] tagged. I'm not particularly concerned either way, but should these things qualify you for Incantantrix and Archmage? Up to you, just something to think about.