PDA

View Full Version : I need help with this Arcane Caster class.

Xeran
2006-11-12, 05:00 PM
I have worked on this class off and on, and can't seem to get it to work. Here is what I have so far.

Arcane Channeler

Adventures: Channelers approach adventures as a chance to test their skills. They love to outwit their opponents, but rely heavily on luck to cast spells. As such, they are often superstitious or religious. They can be motivated by many factors, but are at heart egocentric and it probably never dawns on them that they might fail. It has probably been this ignorant arrogance that has kept them alive thus far.
Characteristics: A Channeler is the master of arcane magic. He posses the power of the wizard and the raw talent of the sorcerer. He can cast as many spells as he wants, so is often the glue that holds a party together. He is constantly magicing up his teammates and can outlast wizards and sorcerers in many spell-duels.
Alignment: Overall, Channelers show a slight tendency towards chaos, if simply because they are utilizes of luck every time they cast a spell. They are not, however restricted to this. In fact many are lawful, due to their studious nature. They can be of any alignment that the player wants.
Religion: They are mostly unreligious, though highly superstitious. Many do nonsensical rituals to improve their luck. A small amount looks to their luck as gifts from the gods, and can be particularly devoted, especially to Baccob.
Background: Channelers backgrounds follow those of a sorcerer more closely than that of a wizard. Aging mentors often teach them. Some though, were being instructed in the wizards or sorcerers arts and there mentor died. They just used luck to utilize their arcane powers. A few are taught in a school or guild, but more commons is that they are a reject from one. An adult Channeler would never join a guild or school, because they dislike other arcane magic user intensely.
Races: Humans, with their greedy ambitious souls, are often Channelers. Half elves, with their ambitious human side and elven side that is in touch with magic are also commonly Channelers. Some of the most powerful are half-elves. Elves disdain the Channeler class because their view of magic is that only wizardry should exist. Gnomes are commonly illusionists, and therefore, only a few are Channelers. Dwarves and halflings are almost never Channelers, because their cultures dislike arcane magic. Among the savage humanoids, Channelers are only likely to be found in kobolds, and then only rarely.
Other Classes: Channelers work well with other classes. He is constantly magicing up his teammates, and so many rely on him. The Channeler may encounter problems among the more serious of his party, but the problem is usually minor. Channelers, however, can’t stand other arcane magic users, especially other Channelers. They will usually attack each other on site, for they are amazingly egocentric.

Game Rules:
Arcane Channelers have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Intelligence determines how powerful a spell of the Channelers is, it also helps determine how hard the spell is to resist. It also determines how many bonus spells he gets. To cast a spell a Channeler must have an intelligence of 10 + the spells level. The saving throws for a Channeler spell is 10 + intelligence modifier + the spell’s level. Dexterity is important because he has no armor and it helps him with his AC. A high constitution is important because his hp is so low.
Alignment: Any
Hit Dice: d4

Class Skills: The Channelers class skills (and the key ability to each) are Alchemy (INT), Concentration (CON), Craft (INT), Knowledge (All skills, taken individually) (INT), Profession (WIS), Scry (INT, Exclusive skill), and Spellcraft (INT). See chapter 4 of The Players Handbook for all skill descriptions.
Skill points at first level: (2 + Intelligence modifier) x 4
Skill points at each additional level: 2 + Intelligence Modifier

Level Base Attack Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Scribe Scroll
2 +1 +0 +0 +3
3 +1 +1 +1 +3
4 +2 +1 +1 +4
5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Bonus Feat
6 +3 +2 +2 +5
7 +3 +2 +2 +5
8 +4 +2 +2 +6
9 +4 +3 +3 +6
10 +5 +3 +3 +7 Bonus Feat
11 +5 +3 +3 +7
12 +6/+1 +4 +4 +8
13 +6/+1 +4 +4 +8
14 +7/+2 +4 +4 +9
15 +7/+2 +5 +5 +9 Bonus Feat
16 +8/+3 +5 +5 +10
17 +8/+3 +5 +5 +10
18 +9/+4 +6 +6 +11
19 +9/+4 +6 +6 +11
20 +10/+5 +6 +6 +12 Bonus Feat
Class Features:
All of the following are class features of the Channeler.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Channelers are proficient in the light and heavy crossbow, the dagger, the sickle, and the quarterstaff. They are not proficient in any type of armor or shield. It interferes with spell casting as it does to the sorcerer and the wizard.
Bonus Languages: A Channeler may substitute Draconic for any of his bonus languages due to class or intelligence. It is considered fundamental for the arcane arts.
Scribe Scroll: The Channeler receives this feat for free at first level. This is in addition to regular feats and bonus feats.
Spells: A Channeler can cast arcane spells. He is unlimited in the amount of spells he can cast a day, but each time he casts one he must make a Spellcraft check. The DC of the check is equal to Caster Level + Spell Level + Spells Already Cast + 15 – Spellcraft Ranks. Channelers know a limited amount of spells, though they may learn new ones like a wizard. At first level he knows all cantrips and four + INT modifier amount of first level spells. Intelligence bonus is applied to spells learned at each new level. At each level they gain one new spell plus the spells gained from bonus intelligence.
Spellbook: A Channeler must study his spellbook one-hour a day, similar to the wizard.
Multi-class Restriction: the Arcane Channeler is unable to multiclass due to the turbulent mystic energy coursing through his veins. If at anytime he does attempt to multiclass he loses all powers of the Channeler until he finds some way to rid himself of the new class.

Basically it is a Wizard with no Familiar and a different way of casting spells. I want the caster to be able to theoretically cast all day, though each casting has risk of not working, and it get's harder each time. I have been trying to use the Spellcraft skill to temper this, but if a player puts all their skill points in spellcraft and and uses skill focvus feat, their is no more risk of it not working. Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, or querstions?

averagejoe
2006-11-13, 05:08 PM
Interesting idea. I'd make the check culmulatively bigger for each spell cast that day, perhaps depending on the spell level. I know you want to be able to cast all day, but it's a bit silly when you have effectively unlimited time to cast. Also, the check is a bit easy as is, with all the spellcraft ranks counting for double.

Xeran
2006-11-13, 07:53 PM
I agree about the cumulative check, I already figured Caster level, spell level, and previous casts into the DC.

averagejoe
2006-11-13, 10:31 PM
Oop:smallredface: I really did read carefully, believe it or not.

Even so, before I was suggesting that the culmulative increase to the DC based on level. Like, instead of +number of spells cast today, it could be +total spell levels cast today, or something similar, just to make the level of the spell you cast more important than just adding 1 or 2 to the DC.

Also, and this is just an aesthetic thing, but subtracting from the DC the character's ranks in spellcraft is redundant if you add the spell level, and adds to the complexity in a bad way. A much cleaner DC would be, Spell Level + Spells Already Cast + 12. It's exactly the same, because everyone who takes this class will max out their ranks in spellcraft anyways. Just an idea for neater templating.

Xeran
2006-11-14, 12:17 AM
What should you roll to beat that DC? Spellcraft?

averagejoe
2006-11-14, 01:04 AM
Well, I just used the spellcraft DC you listed, Caster Level + Spell Level + Spells Already Cast + 15 – Spellcraft Rank. Since the max ranks in spellcraft are your level +3, it comes out to Caster Level + Spell Level + Spells Already Cast + 15 – (caster level + 3) = Caster Level - Caster Level + Spell Level + Spells Already Cast + 15 - 3 = Spell Level + Spells Already Cast + 12. It's the exact same thing you put, and someone with max ranks in spellcraft has to roll the same number to beat it, it's just less things you have to add.

Exalted_Hater
2006-11-14, 10:35 AM
and in D&D less is often more... fun!

also, am i correct in assuming that he gets spells known/spell lvl +s at the same rate as a Wiz?
and does he prepare from a spell book or is this a more spontanious class?

Xeran
2006-11-14, 05:57 PM
Yes to your questions Hater.

So at first level the average roll of spellcraft after modifiers is going to be 17. Now by spell level do you add the caster level and the spell level to get that? Because then at first level that means that the DC starts at 14 and increses by one after every spell cast. Is that balanced?

averagejoe
2006-11-14, 07:33 PM
I'd probably raise it by one or two. As is, he has to cast three spells before he reaches the "failure more than half the time" threshold, which is about what a first level wizard can get. Which is fine, except even when the DC is up to 18 he will still be able to succeed almost half the time.

Actually, instead of raising the DC, I'd suggest that you revise it so that the DC increases even with a failed spell, in which case you might be able to lower the DC.

Also, I'd suggest doing something more exciting than bonus feats, or at least different, just to set this guy apart from the wizard a little more. Maybe something similar to the wilder's "wild surge" ability.

I don't think I've said so before, with all my critiquing, but I like this idea a lot.

Xeran
2006-11-14, 11:51 PM
Where is this wilder?

And what do you mean by revising the DC system, I am afraid I don't understand, sorry.

averagejoe
2006-11-15, 03:01 AM
Ah, sorry, the psion wilder, from the complete psionics. Basically the abilitiy lets the wilder casting her spells at a higher caster level, but each time she uses it there's a 20 percent chance she'll be stunned for the round instead of casting the spell. I'm not saying to use that ability, it just seemed to match the flavor for the class, and something like it would help set this class apart from wizards a bit more.

By revising the DC system I was only suggesting that the (+ number of spells cast that day) DC goes up even when the spell fails, not just when the spell is cast.

Xeran
2006-11-15, 04:38 PM
So the Spellcraft DC to beat would be Spell Level + Spells Already Attempted + 12?

Khantalas
2006-11-15, 05:46 PM
Ah, sorry, the psion wilder, from the complete psionics.

Good one. Made me laugh... not.

Not to be nitpicking, but psions and wilders are different things, and both are from Expanded Psionics Handbook. Psionic wilder might have been better.

There is one skill based caster class, Truenamer. You might want to check it out. It looks similar to what you're trying to accomplish here.

averagejoe
2006-11-15, 09:33 PM
Good one. Made me laugh... not.

Not to be nitpicking, but psions and wilders are different things, and both are from Expanded Psionics Handbook. Psionic wilder might have been better

I wasn't trying to be funny, I was trying to be as clear as I could. You know, in case other people didn't happen to know what I was talking about. And you're right, I really should have put "psionic."

So the Spellcraft DC to beat would be Spell Level + Spells Already Attempted + 12?

That is what I suggest, yes. But, I dunno, maybe not. Really, this is one I'd suggest that you test out, as a class such as this is pretty much unprecidented.

hyenahyena
2006-11-15, 11:56 PM
man, i just dont know about this. Firstly from a flavor perspective, 'how' is this guy channeling spells, whats the idea behind it? Wizards spend years studying to learn to change the very laws of physics with practice and technique, sorcerers are gifted magic users to whom casting magic is as natural as breathing. Warlocks get their infinite power from demonic sourcers, clerics get their powers from god, druids from nature, spirit shamans from spirits, wu gen from being asian, but what do these guys actually do? How come they can channel spells? Where are they channeling the spells from? Are they just another type of 'taught' caster, or are they naturally gifted in some way?

but ok, on a more technical concern, how is it he is able to cast unlimted spells per day?

Say at level 10, a wizard can cast about 21 spells from his various levels. The way this classes casting is worked out seems to be some sort of damn maths calculation, but it seems to me that even if a level 10 wizard has say all these bonuses to spellcraft, say,
17 int (+3)
Skill focus (+3)
magical aptitude (+2)
Skill synergy knowl:arcana (+2)

thats +10 right there, and with 14 ranks in spellcraft, hes got 24. So for him to cast his highest level spell (a level 5) he'd need, what, to roll a dice above 5? easy enough. and say he casts another 10 spells from lower levels. TO then cast a spell from his highest rank, he needs to roll a 15. thats startin to get unlikely. If he fails and tries again, its a 16, which is even less likely.

My point is, casting infinitely is a pretty inaccurate term when wizards, not even to mention Sorcerers would have an easier time casting more spells then this dude.

Exalted_Hater
2006-11-16, 09:27 AM
Refine this idea for the Ni-Infinate Casting.

give him half the spells per day of a wizard.

then, have him roll a spellcraft to see if the spell is removed form his memory.

DC = 12 + spell lvl (min 1)+ spells cast - (BAB)
this way the DC goes up by 2 for each First lvl or cantrip. so let's throw out the spell level bit.

DC = 12 + Spells Succesfully cast - BAB
working in the BAB will help higher lvl characters retain higher lvl spells more easily.

At lvl 10 this method brings it to 7 + spells cast

At 20 it would just be 2 + spells cast

maybe instead of the bonus feats they could choose a favorite spell to make a SLA at lvl 5 a lvl 1 spell, At 10 a 2 then a 3 and a 4 at 15 and 20 respectively. the SLA cast at half CL to prevent abuse and Not Subject to Metamagic Feats. No freely Slinging Maximized fireballs here. though Meta-SLA feats present another problem. so I'm thinking, have them pick a "Favored Schoo"l to take the SLAs from no other bonus from the favored school, well, maybe + 1 to Spellcraft to Identify Spells from that school. Call it... "Arcane Domain" or something and You, Xeran, decide what goes in to the 7 arcane domains... or whatever u call them:p
yeah, i'm done for tonight...
what do you think?

note: this only took about 45 of thought, at 5 am. So please refine this mess

p.s. check out the Shadow Caster class in Tome of Magic, IIRC it has something similar to your idea. at high levels at will use of the lowest tier of tricks? or whatever it's called.

Xeran
2006-11-16, 10:22 PM
I don't think I particularly like Hyenahyena's or Exalted Hater's ideas for this class. Not really what I am going for, but thanks still guys. Hyenahyena, as to your question about the game background if it's powers, the Arcane Channeler is what it's name suggests. He shapes the raw magical force about him into spells, using his knowledge of the magical force throughout the world to manipulate this chaotic and powerful unseen force. I just got Tome of Magic so I could check out the class's you guys suggested, so keep it coming with ideas. Thanks everbody!

Yakk
2006-11-16, 11:58 PM
First: restrict how many spells a channeler can have "prepared".

Steal the sorc "spells known" chart, and use it for "spells prepared".

This prevents a channeler from having a ridiculous array of spells at her fingertips.

Second, let's split up the Channelers stats.

How about Cha for resists, Wisdom and Int for spells/day?

Second:
Your DC check needs a bit of work.

Get rid of the skill dependancy -- channeling spells is a core ability, it shouldn't be skill dependant.

A channeler has a spell strain pool. It starts at 2 points per level, plus Wisdom modifier.

Ie, L 5 channeler with 15(+2) wisdom has a 12 point spell strain pool.

Once the strain pool is drained, the channeler goes into overstrain. Every point of overstrain makes casting additional spells harder.

Strain costs:

Every channeling Success adds 1 strain.
Every channeling Failure adds (spell level+1) in strain. Cantrips add 1, 9th level spells add 10 strain.

Roll d20 + channeler_level + cha_mod VS 10 + spell_level*2 + over strain.

Any channeling roll matching or under the spell level should always fail. Higher level spells are hard.

Ie, a 9th level spell will ALWAYS fail on a roll of 9 or under.

Failing by 11 or more does damage to the channeler equal to the spell_level+1. (a reason not to chain-cast when over strained)

A channeler can concentrate for 1 round in an attempt to dissapate strain. Roll Concentration vs DC 20.

The channeler may not take 10 or 20 on this roll.

On a success, the channeler regains 1 spell strain point.

Once this is attempted (success or failure) the channeler cannot attempt to regain spell strain until she spends another spell strain point.

Meh. This is tricky.

Xeran
2006-11-17, 12:19 AM
Well Yakk, as much as I appreciate the help, I am not really sure I want to push the class in that direction. By chance have you heard of a class called a Spellsurge Mage? It sounds a lot like what you are saying, if you want to play on of those yourself. I don't recall where this class is from, but maybe you should look it up.

Exalted_Hater
2006-11-17, 05:11 AM
A channeler has a spell strain pool. It starts at 2 points per level, plus Wisdom modifier.

Ie, L 5 channeler with 15(+2) wisdom has a 12 point spell strain pool.

seems to me that this is way to limiting. at lvl 20 you woulden't beable to get off 3 9th lvl spells without having to take a breather.

I think Psionics hold the key.

Just use the Extra Power Points by level table for the strain pool and the PP cost to Manifest... called the Strain to Channel... and this opens up Arcane Augmentation...but that's a whole 'nuther can of worms.

A channeler can concentrate for 1 round in an attempt to dissapate strain. Roll Concentration vs DC 20.

The channeler may not take 10 or 20 on this roll.

On a success, the channeler regains 1 spell strain point.

first line :smallsmile:

second line :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

third line... On a Success, the channeler regains the result of the roll - 20

and the act of concentrating would have to provoke AoOs

that's all i got

Yakk
2006-11-17, 11:59 AM
seems to me that this is way to limiting. at lvl 20 you woulden't beable to get off 3 9th lvl spells without having to take a breather.

But, successful spells only cost 1 strain. So if you get lucky, you could cast cast cast the day away.

Only the failed spells generate significant strain. And L 9 spells are dangerous -- 9 or under is an auto-failure, and it costs 10 strain per failure.

first line :smallsmile:

second line :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

third line... On a Success, the channeler regains the result of the roll - 20

and the act of concentrating would have to provoke AoOs

that's all i got

I viewed it as more of a "bind wounds", and a way for low-stress spell success to not drain the channeler's strain pool.

Spellsurge Mage

Nope, never heard of it.

The concern I have with the existing channeler is that they blow sorcs and wizards out of the water.

[quote]Spells: A Channeler can cast arcane spells. He is unlimited in the amount of spells he can cast a day, but each time he casts one he must make a Spellcraft check. The DC of the check is equal to Caster Level + Spell Level + Spells Already Cast + 15 – Spellcraft Ranks. Channelers know a limited amount of spells, though they may learn new ones like a wizard. At first level he knows all cantrips and four + INT modifier amount of first level spells. Intelligence bonus is applied to spells learned at each new level. At each level they gain one new spell plus the spells gained from bonus intelligence./quote]

L 20 channeler with 30 spellcraft casting a L 9 spell.

Roll d20 + 30 vs (20+9+count+15-30)
=
d20 + 30 vs 14+count of spells

So that means a L 20 channeler can cast 18 L 9 spells before they risk more than a 1 in 20 chance of failure (assuming 1 always fails).

And until they cast 18 spells, L 1 spells and L 9 spells are equally easy and equally expensive to cast.

Next, you have the difficulty of casting a spell go up with the level of the channeler, not down. Suppose you had, say, a L 5 channeler L 15 rogue.

The L 5 channeler could have 30+ spellcraft if they took their levels late and the proper selection of feats/magical items.

Casting L 3 spells:
d20 + 30 vs (5+9+count+15-30)
=
d20 + 30 vs count-1

So that rogue/channeler could cast 31 fireballs using his 5 levels of channeler.

Basically, you have to work on that "channel roll" part. That roll is the core of your class -- and as it stands, it doesn't work well.

Xeran
2006-11-17, 04:10 PM
Yes, I want help with the roll without removing it and placing a new and different system in it's place.

Yakk
2006-11-20, 12:54 PM
Ok.

So what is the penalty for failing a roll?

What is the "cost" of a low level vs high level spell?

Should this caster at high levels be able to cast low level spells with imputy and little cost?

Should this caster at high levels find low level spells inefficient, and only cast higher level spells?

How does this interact with metamagic?

Should the arcane channeler be able to chain-cast L 9 spells without a care until she gets a success?

If low level spells are too cheap, a channeler will chain-cast low level spells. If low level spells are too expensive compared to high level spells, a channeler will metamagic up to the hilt every spell they cast.

Hmm.

If you use sorc spell level unwrapping, a sorc is level (SPELL_LEVEL*2) when they unlock a spell.

If you want a stat to work in with it, a L 1 player might have a 16 +3 and a L 20 player might have a 26 +8.

So as an estimate, the stat bonus will be around (level/4)+3.

In theory, we want L 9 spells to fail relatively often, and L 1 spells to sometimes fail, at L 20.

Using the "spellcraft" skill is too unstable. Players can get rather large bonus's on it, and multi-class characters get spellcraft skill levels rather uncorrelated with their channeler level.

I did a bunch of number crunching -- even using a stat mod makes too much of a swing happen. We don't want a channeler's power level to rely TOO MUCH on extremely high stat mods.

What if the channeler was allowed to use their stat mod as a bonus a limited number of times per day?

Set the channelers "Channel Bonus" to be "Level/2" (rounded down).

Set the difficulty of a spell to be 15 + Spell_Level.

Limit the number of spells memorized by some other caster's charts (say, sorc spells known, plus bonus spells from int) -- (we don't want the arcane channeler to have the entire spellbook memorized, that's cheesy). The channeler wouldn't lose the spell from memory once they cast it, and could change the spells known with a few hours of reading.

Every odd level, allow the arcane channeler to use the STAT bonus +1 time per day.

For the "fatigue" system, instead of +1 per spell cast, make it +1 fatigue every time you roll at or under the spell level on your d20 roll.

So when casting a L 9 spell, every roll of 9 or under (successful or not) adds +1 to every spell cast later in the day.

For the odd levels, the channeler gets "Add stat bonus to your channel roll +1 time per day".

How does that sound?

The spells listed below are the max SPELLS MEMORIZED (add in your int bonus, if any). You can cast memorized spells any number of times per day.

20 LEVEL SPELLCASTING BASE CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th| 9th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Channel Spell +0, 1/day Overchannel|4|2

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Channel Spell +1|5|2

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|2/day Overchannel|5|3

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Channel Spell +2|6|3|1

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|3/day Overchannel|6|4|2

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Channel Spell +3|7|4|2|1

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|4/day Overchannel|7|5|3|2

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Channel Spell +4|8|5|3|2|1

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|5/day Overchannel|8|5|4|3|2

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Channel Spell +5|9|5|4|3|2|1

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|6/day Overchannel|9|5|5|4|3|2

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|Channel Spell +6|9|5|5|4|3|2|1

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8|7/day Overchannel|9|5|5|4|4|3|2

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9|Channel Spell +7|9|5|5|4|4|3|2|1

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9|8/day Overchannel|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|2

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|Channel Spell +8|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|2|1

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+5|
+10|9/day Overchannel|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|3|2

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Channel Spell +9|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|3|2|1

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|10/day Overchannel|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|3|3|2

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Channel Spell +10|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|3|3|3[/table]

Channel: The ability to channel local energy into a spell. The difficulty for a Level X spell is 15+X. If you roll at or under the level of the spell on a d20, you are strained, and all later channeling rolls are at +1. This penalty accumulates until the channeler gets a night's sleep.

The channeler gets a bonus of +1 on this roll on every even level (2, 4, 6, etc).

Overchannel: When the channeler overchannels, they get to add their prime stat (int?) to their channeling roll. The overchannel use is only consumed if the spell is cast successfully.

Example:

A L 5 channeler with 20 in her prime stat.

At L 5, the channeler will know:
6 L 0 spells
4+2 L 1 spells
2+1 L 2 spells
at any one time.

She has 2/day Overchannel, and a default bonus of +2.

Channeling L 0 spells: d20 13 or higher
Overchanneling L 0 spells: d20 8 or higher

Channeling L 1 spells: d20 14 or higher. Rolls of 1 add a point of strain.
Overchanneling L 1 spells: d20 9 or higher. Rolls of 1 add a point of strain.

Channeling L 2 spells: d20 15 or higher. Rolls of 1 or 2 add a point of strain.
Overchanneling L 2 spells: d20 10 or higher. Rolls of 1 or 2 add a point of strain.

A L 20 channeler with 26 in her prime stat (+8).
+10 channel mod.

L 1 spells: 6+ success, 1-strain
L 2 spells: 7+ success, 1-strain
L 7 spells: 12+ is success, 7- adds strain.
L 8 spells: 13+ is success, 8- adds strain.
L 9 spells: 14+ is success, 9- adds strain.

Does that match your original concept?

By only adding the +1 penalty on some casts, and making it happen more often on higher level spells, it encourages higher level channelers to channel lower level spells.

This spell caster may still be too powerful. So let's count fireballs!

Only a 15% chance of strain per fireball -- so one strain for every 6 fireball attempts.

Success chance with N strain goes like: 65%, 60%, 55%, 50%, 45% ... 5%. With an average of 6 attempts at each level of strain.

That is 6 * 5% * sum of(13 ... 1) = 27 fireballs.

Overchanneling basically adds another 10 fireballs -- so 37 fireballs per day.

A L 20 sorc, with no cha bonus, gets 6 spells of each level per day. So they could cast 42 fireballs per day if they so chose.

For L 9 spells..

45% chance of strain, 30% ... 5% chance of success per cast.

Only 2 L 9 spells, on average, per day. Plus up to 10 overstrain casts.

So the caster can cast more high level and fewer low level spells per day than a sorcerer.

You could add some other features to the class to spice it up without making it overpowered.

Some ideas:
Extra metamagic feats (easy).
Counterspell abilities? (free action counterspell attempts/day)
Innate detect magic/magicians?

Xeran
2006-11-22, 02:17 AM
But doesn't that mean that the only possible way to be sucessful on spells above 5th level is to use your Overcharge thingy?

Yakk
2006-11-22, 11:16 AM
No:

Set the channelers "Channel Bonus" to be "Level/2" (rounded down).

Set the difficulty of a spell to be 15 + Spell_Level.

So a L 10 Channeler has a channel bonus of +5, without overchannel.

A L 5 spell has a difficulty of 20 = 15+5.

So they can cast a L 5 spell on a roll of 15 to 20 on a d20, assuming they have no strain, because they have an innate bonus of +5.

In general, other than L 1 spells, when a channeler gains access to a new circle of spells they need to roll a 15 or higher to cast it.

Overchannel just allows you to apply her stat bonus to it (int, cha or wis, whatever stat you choose -- balance wise, it doesn't matter), and only get's consumed if the spell succeeds.

So:
1> Higher level spells cause more strain. Generally one is only strained on a bad failure. (a natural roll at or under the spell level). Cantrips never cause strain.

2> A channeler has a 30% chance to successfully cast a new spell rank per attempt. This isn't all that bad -- it encourages using lower level spells, and the channeler can cast a bunch more of the highest level spell than any other class could. This chance goes up as the channeler gains levels.

3> Strain prevents chain-casting of high level spells until the cows come home.

4> Overchannel allows the Arcane Channeler to say "I really need to get that fireball off, like NOW" a limited number of times per day.

There is probably some power room for some additional abilities to tack on. Maybe give them innate detect magic, read magic, some arcane feats here and there.

Xeran
2006-11-23, 04:12 AM
Is there enough for a minor ability at levels 1, 5, 10, and 15?