PDA

View Full Version : Saga Edition, Custom Squadron Ideas; Star Wars

Kydell
2013-03-03, 11:58 PM
I've had an idea, but not a clue on how to implement it. I would like to play a SWSE game where I would be one an individual of a starfighter squadron, with my own starfighter I could customize and several other PCs in my party to rely on during missions. As I haven't made a concrete plot to GM this type of a game, I instead am asking people to submit their own ideas for either:
-A character who is one among a starfighter squadron, with their own ship.
-An entire custom squadron with a background and allegiances.
-A custom starfighter meant for squad members.
-A custom faction who might employ specialty squadrons.
-Custom equipment/upgrades/maneuvers/modifications that are appropriate for the system.
-Anything that might fit here.

::I'd like to note that you shouldn't restrict yourself to starfighters. Having a squadron with one or more frigates might be interesting, and tactically advantageous.::

Who knows, If I can generate enough interest and information, I might get a game going.

Kydell
2013-03-04, 12:01 AM
Saved for future post.

Mando Knight
2013-03-04, 12:15 AM
Starships of the Galaxy already covers most of the vehicle side things you listed (including guidelines for designing your own starfighter). Most equipment not listed in there is usually just something that is, with a different name, or smuggler-type tech outlined in Scum and Villainy.

The rest is organization design, which is a bit more system-agnostic unless you want to have a mechanical means of determining rank. In which case you want to look into The Force Unleashed.

Kinsmarck
2013-03-04, 04:34 AM
Back in the previous edition, my group and I played a short but fun campaign as pirate-hunting mercenaries (one of whom had taken the Leadership feat) who refitted one of those giant, half-eggshell looking rebel transports (yeah, I totally forgot the name of that thing. The one the rebels use to escape Hoth) into a makeshift carrier. Mostly Z-95 Headhunters, with a couple of other fun fighters to boot. I played the flight leader, an eccentric ace with somewhat of an obsession with "dueling." Pistols, fist-fights, dogfights, whatever. He wanted to challenge himself. But I digress.

In short, our DM recognized that, even together, our WBL wouldn't account for so much technology and so many ships at our disposal. But, by the background we'd come up with, it made sense, so he handwaved the initial cost for our group's background, and made us pay for any further ship-tinkering, personal gear, and replacement ships (heh, yeaaahhh <<) on our own. This kept us from feeling like our ships were ALL that we were, but still kept the threat of losing them very real. The same approach could be taken for pretty much any pilot-themed group, be it a group of mercs, bounty-hunting aces, rebels, an imperial fighter wing, or whatever else.

Having spent many hours poring through internet pages for stat blocks of ships...I'd advise you not to waste your time. There just doesn't seem to be that large a community for it online, and you're better off designing them yourself with the books the previous poster mentioned. After a while, I did, and I'm much happier for it.

Kydell
2013-03-04, 11:30 AM
Very good advice. I hope to hear some more ideas.