PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Buff For Primary Healers (PEACH)

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-04, 10:00 AM
I have a friend that I'm trying to recruit into my pathfinder game. He's told me that he really wants to be a primary healer. I suggested cleric, but considering the optimization of the party, and the general weakness of healing spells, I think he'll quickly find himself dissatisfied with the role. So in order to boost the healing potential of his class I came up with the following class feature:

Inspired Healing: Whenever you spontaneously cast cure spells, the damage healed is increased by your WIS modifier multiplied by the level of the Spell.

I'm hoping this will convince him to try out the other options available to clerics, since it only works on cure spells he casts spontaneously, while giving his healing a boost that will hopefully allow it to be competitive with the damage the party takes.

Ashtagon
2013-03-04, 10:13 AM
My usual healing fix involves no feat, but two changes to mechanics...

1) Cure spells are a swift action to cast, when used to restore hit points. Likewise, inflict spells are a swift action to cast when used to restore hit points (such as on undead).

2) Any cure or inflict spell used to restore hit points will always restore a minimum of 10% of the target's hp for a 1st level spell, 20% for a 2nd level spell, 30% for a 3rd level spell, and so on.

Elricaltovilla
2013-03-04, 10:25 AM
My usual healing fix involves no feat, but two changes to mechanics...

1) Cure spells are a swift action to cast, when used to restore hit points. Likewise, inflict spells are a swift action to cast when used to restore hit points (such as on undead).

2) Any cure or inflict spell used to restore hit points will always restore a minimum of 10% of the target's hp for a 1st level spell, 20% for a 2nd level spell, 30% for a 3rd level spell, and so on.

Well I wasn't going to make it a Feat, but rather a class feature. Like a replacement ability for the Healing Domain...

Those are good ideas too, I especially like the swift action one.

Obiwanjablome
2013-03-04, 11:00 AM
Since most clerics invest a decent stat in Charisma, I allow them to add their charisma to all conjuration healing spells (similar to the Healer class). In my next campaign which will be fast paced, I was thinking about adding a class feature involving a fast healing effect for them as well, to add a tactical feel. Add charisma then fast healing equal to spell level for charisma modifier rounds.

Just to Browse
2013-03-04, 11:28 PM
Against intelligent opponents, your friend will probably feel put out as levels go up in spite of this fix. Status effects will be the bane of a good party, and a cleric is not the best class to fix them.

Yitzi
2013-03-04, 11:31 PM
Against intelligent opponents, your friend will probably feel put out as levels go up in spite of this fix. Status effects will be the bane of a good party, and a cleric is not the best class to fix them.

What is the best class to fix status effects, by the way?

That said, perhaps that's part of the answer: Give him boosts to status repair as well.

Another important thing to keep in mind is the offense/defense ratio of the party. Healers tend to be more effective in defensive parties than offensive ones.

Just to Browse
2013-03-04, 11:36 PM
I don't play PF, but in D&D the best-in-class is the Favored Soul because he can learn all the curative spells and cast any of the necessary ones when required.

I think there's a cleric ACF that gives you spontaneous domain casting, and a domain with the proper curative spells in it, so that specific combination would do better, but I'm not even sure if it's real.