PDA

View Full Version : Addon Systems

Arkusus
2013-03-05, 07:09 PM
So, I'm DMing a 3.5 game for some friends, and to make things different, it's a 'nobles' campaign. (Each of the players is a wealthy noble who has political authority and labor at their call)

At first I came up with a pretty primitive system to manage their 'noble' stuff outside of the normal 3.5 mechanics, but as the players began to use it more, I had to expand on it, and then they started to use it more, and so I expanded again.

Right now, it's gotten to the point where it's used almost more often than the 3.5 system, which I take as a compliment, but the stuff I came up with is becoming woefully inadequate for what it's being called to do.

Does anyone know of any 'addon' style systems that can be used with RPGs? Or even just a specific mechanic from another game that could be applied to work here.

Basically I'm trying to find something to manage running a faction, rather than running a character. I was wondering if there are already any resources out there that I might get a head start from at least.

Rhynn
2013-03-05, 10:46 PM
An Echo, Resounding: A Sourcebook for Lordship and War (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/99063/An-Echo,-Resounding%3A-A-Sourcebook-for-Lordship-and-War). It's meant to be plugged onto any system, so it's pretty much exactly what you want.

Adventurer Conqueror King (http://www.autarch.co/) is OD&D-derived and includes domain management, which you wouldn't be able to plug straight in but should require fairly little work. (Although the gp amounts might be off.)

elliott20
2013-03-06, 01:14 PM
I'm creating my own at the moment, actually. It's based off of the design concepts behind Burning Empires, which handles an empire almost like it's a character, with it's own skills, equipment, etc. (Except instead of equipment, they have assets.)

I'll be putting that out when I get a bit more traction.

Arkusus
2013-03-06, 06:19 PM
Awesome, thanks Rhynn, those may well be exactly what I was looking for...

It even mentions having materials to just use as a starting point for a more customized version...