PDA

View Full Version : Exploring the internet

Zahhak
2013-03-07, 12:29 AM
So, in the 'Things I may no longer do' thread I joked about an evil idea I had, which was to basically reboot Tron, but on the internet, using this map (http://xkcd.com/802/) drawn by XKCD. My group is "meh" at best at the idea, so if this happens at all, since some users (and KSheep especially) seemed to really like the idea, it'll be a play-by-post (or maybe collaborative story telling venture on a wiki).

So, before this starts at all, I'm going to have to crush KSheep's hopes and dreams and say that I did not actually want to redo Tron. I was just using it as an analogy to explain what I was thinking. A more accurate explanation would be:

* Websites as we know them are states or other regions in the play world (4chan isn't a country, its an anarchic hell hole)
* The change in size of an internet community is represented in the play world by changes in the size of the states (wars maybe?)
* Malware would be monsters, and the PCs would be various anti-malware software
* The complexity of websites is represented by the technological progress of the country

I do not like the idea of the PCs/NPCs all being programs because a program has a huge range in complexity and function, and aside from social commentaries on racism and hierarchy, I think that's... I don't know how to phrase it, but it seems basically inappropriate.

So, not sure how to represent different programs, files, and the like, and what the different NPCs would be. Also, there should probably be something with hacking.

Grinner
2013-03-07, 01:00 AM
I like this idea. Well done. :smallsmile:

As for your actual concerns, there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind.

First, what's your opinion of parakeets? Parakeets are living creatures, right? So are humans. Now, if I said that parakeets are simpler creatures than humans, would you find that wrong? Now apply that same line of thought to programs. Does every program need to be a walking, talking, disc-throwing death machine?

Regarding the representation of files, programs, and such, I think Tron is still your best inspiration. The most important thing to remember is that computer logic is the only thing that matters. Data can be copied, and hacking is just clever trickery.

Mando Knight
2013-03-07, 01:07 AM
Another thing to look into for inspiration: MegaMan Battle Network. Basically, the Internet in that game is a little world for combat-capable AI helpers to run chores for stalwart middle-school-aged heroes. Why combat-capable when it's in the hands of an 11-year-old? Because there's a serious virus problem, that's why!

...Also because Dr. Wily and his goons keep sending their AIs to combat the hero.

Silverbit
2013-03-07, 08:31 AM
I saw this in the "Things I may no longer do" thread. I've had this idea floating around for ages. Beware the Lotus Trees of Tvtropes, and be wary of the countless video Sirens of YouTube, where time is lost at an accelerated rate...
I wonder what GitP itself would be?

Wookieetank
2013-03-07, 09:44 AM
I saw this in the "Things I may no longer do" thread. I've had this idea floating around for ages. Beware the Lotus Trees of Tvtropes, and be wary of the countless video Sirens of YouTube, where time is lost at an accelerated rate...

In Matrixy terms, the source. Or perhaps elite hax since this would be the birthplace of the world.

Gravitron5000
2013-03-07, 11:22 AM
You might also want to look at the animated TV series "Reboot" for inspiration.

GitP would be the blue pill. How deep does this rabbit hole go?

tbok1992
2013-03-07, 11:56 AM
And Digimon would be a great inspiration as well. Plus, if you're gonna have an internet-world, you're gonna at least need your own D-Reaper.

Zahhak
2013-03-07, 01:28 PM
First, what's your opinion of parakeets? Parakeets are living creatures, right? So are humans. Now, if I said that parakeets are simpler creatures than humans, would you find that wrong? Now apply that same line of thought to programs. Does every program need to be a walking, talking, disc-throwing death machine?

I was never a huge fan of Tron, but I got the impression every program on your computer was represented by a single character

Eldan
2013-03-07, 01:30 PM
BEHOLD THE GOOGLEPLEX! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! DO NO EVIL!

Just sayin'

Zahhak
2013-03-07, 02:14 PM
Oh clearly Google and Wikipedia are massive library's so massive they warp space and time.

Eldan
2013-03-07, 02:22 PM
I was thinking more of a giant intelligence agency that kept files on everything.

Grinner
2013-03-07, 02:25 PM
I was never a huge fan of Tron, but I got the impression every program on your computer was represented by a single character

This is another thing to keep in mind. Tron presents a wildly inaccurate analogy to the inner workings of a computer. It gives a picture of an entire city existing within a computer, each program a citizen. Realistically, the number of programs on running on any computer system is far less. My computer, for example, has only thirty-six programs running on it right now.

Take the example given by Tron with a grain of salt, and don't constrain yourself to what Tron did. It's your setting, not Disney's.

Zahhak
2013-03-07, 03:09 PM
I was thinking more of a giant intelligence agency that kept files on everything.

I thought about it, and Wikipedia would be like the Library from Discworld: it is so massive that you need to leave a guide string, otherwise you'll never find your way out, and the librarians routinely end up finding tribes of lost students, and that the library is so massive it warps space and time (under the idea that knowledge is power, power is an application of force, and force requires mass, therefor any sufficiently large collection of books will have the same impact on the area as a blackhole). Google would be fast travel.

Although your web history would be the secret police. Or the fast travel system keeps records of your travel.

This is another thing to keep in mind. Tron presents a wildly inaccurate analogy to the inner workings of a computer. It gives a picture of an entire city existing within a computer, each program a citizen. Realistically, the number of programs on running on any computer system is far less. My computer, for example, has only thirty-six programs running on it right now.

Like I said, I don't plan on using the Tron model anyways. I explained why I wasn't planning on running with "people are programs", and then someone responded, and then I responded.

AuraTwilight
2013-03-07, 06:37 PM

Take the example given by Tron with a grain of salt, and don't constrain yourself to what Tron did. It's your setting, not Disney's.

The city metaphor works if each 'citizen' is an actual file name. Your operating system alone is made of hundreds of files.

Sith_Happens
2013-03-08, 06:45 AM
The city metaphor works if each 'citizen' is an actual file name. Your operating system alone is made of hundreds of files.

Hundreds? Last time I ran a full virus scan, the total file count was ~400000.

Ashtagon
2013-03-08, 07:08 AM
Dungeon #105 already did this, under the campaign setting name Deathnet.

Gravitron5000
2013-03-08, 09:13 AM
TvTropes absolutely must be a maze ... with shifting walls ... and many unintended destinations.

Facebook should be some dystopian cross between a Brave New World, the surveillance portion of 1984, and a city state that parallels the TV show Cheers (everyone knows your name).

Leliel
2013-03-08, 03:19 PM
TvTropes absolutely must be a maze ... with shifting walls ... and many unintended destinations.

Facebook should be some dystopian cross between a Brave New World, the surveillance portion of 1984, and a city state that parallels the TV show Cheers (everyone knows your name).

Initially here, I wanted to defend Facebook as a community...then I remembered the people who run it, and that I hate Facebook.

Good call-it isn't a absolutely horrible dystopia, but still, any outsiders looking in often wonders why the common man just doesn't move.

4/chan/ could be the Dark North, the cold, mysterious place in which the only people are the monsters, the villains, and the hard-bitten anti-heroes, due to it being the surrounding location of the /B/lack Pit, where the dreaded Bile Trolls were banished but regularly escape to menace other lands.

AuraTwilight
2013-03-08, 04:32 PM
Hundreds? Last time I ran a full virus scan, the total file count was ~400000.

Was that ALL of the files on your computer, or just the ones composing your core operating system? I made the distinction for a reason. :P

AuraTwilight
2013-03-08, 05:32 PM
Dungeon #105 already did this, under the campaign setting name Deathnet.

I can't find it in my copy; can you give page numbers?

Adoendithas
2013-03-11, 11:47 AM
Of course, the PCs might just use
chmod 555 on themselves...

Ashtagon
2013-03-11, 06:08 PM
I can't find it in my copy; can you give page numbers?

It's in the Polyhedron half of the combined magazine. Polyhedron #164, I believe.

Zahhak
2013-03-13, 12:34 AM
Alright folks, I've been thinking about this, and this is if nothing else an interesting idea, which is why I do like 90% of what I do in gaming. So, I would be willing to do some work to make this possible-project real, and make a campaign taking place in this kind of setting.

But I'm also very very lazy. So, before I do any real work on this, I would like commitments to participate in a PbP here from a few people, otherwise it doesn't seem like it would be worth my effort. I hate to sound like I'm sending an ultimatum, but, well 'cool idea plus lazy'.

dspeyer
2013-03-13, 03:40 AM
Of course, the PCs might just use
chmod 555 on themselves...

If I'm an adventurer. I certainly don't want the entire world to be able to execute me.

mjlush
2013-03-13, 05:09 AM
* Websites as we know them are states or other regions in the play world (4chan isn't a country, its an anarchic hell hole)

I'm running a game where elements of the internet have escaped into the real world
there is Fort Chan who's basement it patrolled by the deadly Bee slash bee.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-13, 01:32 PM
Crawlers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler). The name even sounds like they're dystopian spider-machines of doom. Or just massive monsters from the land of Google. The kind of thing you absolutely need to hide from if you want to get out alive, but which could give you tons of data if you defeat it.

They even have cool alternate names (hierarchy of these creatures?) like Web Crawler, Ant, and Scutter.

Eldan
2013-03-13, 02:29 PM
I imagine that they are gigantic arthropoid monsters that smash their way across landscapes to find dense information to devour.

Zahhak
2013-03-13, 03:45 PM
That does sound pretty BA. Ties in well with the idea of wikipedia

Slipperychicken
2013-03-13, 09:26 PM
Also, hyperlinks are either teleporters or directions.

Browsers are vehicles. Tron motorcycles? :smallbiggrin:

Zahhak
2013-03-14, 06:06 PM
So, interest? Yay or nay?

AuraTwilight
2013-03-14, 07:57 PM
Count me in.

Silverbit
2013-03-15, 07:33 AM
Interest from me!

Adoendithas
2013-03-15, 07:50 AM