PDA

View Full Version : Spellpoint rules revision [PF][PEACH]

Tzi
2013-03-07, 04:45 PM
Document here, Link (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B63ylxeMXLXGMjh0eFdOM0pPd1U/edit).

For the most part its a modified form of what is in Unearthed Arcana and in the 3.5e SRD. The main change is spell cost, and homebrew thing called spell overload. My goal for spellpoints is more getting rid of the "Ah man I only prepared cure light wounds once," affect that to me anyway seems kinda silly in my meta thinking. Beyond that spellpoints seem like something I can more easily build on. For example spell effects that target spellpoints and things like that.

Spell overload is mainly intended to be a stopper to say a high level character spamming very low level spells. Granted I am fairly new at this so I'll be the first to admit it might be buggy, broken or not particularly a good deterrent to that.

Mainly I'm looking to see if its fairly simple and straightforward, easy to understand, and if its fairly balanced.

Granted my players are pretty chill and not powergamers so abuse is not a big concern. But in theory a new player could join who is. Also I'd like formalized rules that aren't terribly broken. Also it bares mentioning the setting itself is Homebrew, and many magic items and spells don't actually exist. Like Cloaks of Charisma, and Headbands of Intellect are exceptionally rare, and so to are rods of metamagic. When I say rare I mean, not purchasable in any store. Likewise some spells like rope trick don't exist.
So.... Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Deviston
2013-03-08, 01:12 PM
I don't think Spell Overload is needed. Limitless 1st level spells is about as useful as... well, limitless 1st level spells. Which is to say, not very. MAYBE someone could break it, but that's when the DM can fiat the Spell Overload if it's breaking the game. With the S.O. you have MORE to keep track of then less of the /day system. IMO, makes me want to play /day caster over this. Without it, cerpinkly!

Maybe S.O. could, instead of being a penalty, be a boon. Similar rules, you can exceed the normal amount you normally deal in XdX damage. You spend points as normal to boost up to cap, but can exceed cap by paying 3x the next amount.

I.E. 7th level casts lightning bolt spend extra 2 points for 7d6, but then spends total of 11 to make it 8d6, 23 to make it 9d6, and finally up to 38 for 10d6.

I always saw this as the book casters sapping the last of their strength to fire off one final last ditch effort shot. Never seen a mechanic for it, but your spell point concept gave me the idea.

Additionally, how many bonus points does one gain from a high stat modifier?