PDA

View Full Version : New spell: swarm of arrows (3.5 PEACH)

inuyasha
2013-03-08, 04:22 PM
Swarm of arrows
Conjuration
Level: Sor/Wis 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting time:
Range: close (25+5/level)
Duration: instantaneous
Saving throw: reflex half
Spell resistance: no

This spell creates a 50ft cone of arrows originating from the caster, flying in the direction of his choosing, anyone in the direction of the wave takes 1d6 damage/level with a reflex save for half damage. Although created by the spell, these arrows are nonmagical and do not count as being magical for the purposes of damage reduction

Material component: a silver tipped arrow worth 10GP

thoughts?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-03-08, 04:27 PM
Area: 50ft is meaningless in D&D terminology. Here's a link to the SRD's entry on spell area. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Aiming_a_Spell_%28Spell_Descriptor%29#Area)

It seems like you were intended to make this either a 50ft long cone, or a line 50ft in diameter out to close distance. Does either of those seem move like what you intended? If the latter, that's a huge area of effect for a 3rd level spell.

Finally, the line "Although created by the spell, these arrows are nonmagical and do not count as such for the purposes of damage reduction" needs revision, because, as written, it says the arrow are nonmagical, but do not count as being nonmagical. That's nonsensical. Perhaps you meant this: "Although created by the spell, these arrows are nonmagical. Damage from this spell is thus treated as damage received from a mundane piercing weapon, and is subject to damage reduction."

All in all this spell is functional yet uninspiring. A large number of "Xd6 damage in an area" spells already exist across the Arcane/Divine/Psionic/Other spectrum, and few are particularly exciting.

inuyasha
2013-03-08, 04:32 PM
hmm i understand :) thanks for the help o mighty djinn...by the way can i have a wish?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-03-08, 04:36 PM
by the way can i have a wish?

Wishes for the public are typically limited to requesting homebrew critique, usually via PM and/or making a thread which I'm either interested in, or making one during a time when I'm on the forums and bored out of my skull.

Other wises by private arrangement only. Void where prohibited. Wishes typically limited to those the Djinn knows personally, or those whose work manages to really catch his interest.

:smalltongue:

Thugorp
2013-04-17, 09:12 PM
So my question is why is it cleric only?

bobthe6th
2013-04-17, 09:28 PM
So wait, why range close if it originates from the caster? Basically Range:50ft, area: Cone-shaped Burst.

also the material component is just a bit annoying... I would prefer a focus or nothing at all.

This seems like a cone of crystals spell, but higher damage...

TuggyNE
2013-04-17, 09:31 PM
So my question is why is it cleric only?

Because Cleric archers are the only thing that matters?

… Yeah I got nothin'.

Thugorp
2013-04-17, 09:43 PM
Yes, I have to admit that the range and the area not lining up confuses me a bit, but I assume that the cone just starts anywhere within the range.

But this does seem like an arcane spell right? most clerics don't even carry ranged weapons because those armored bastards can just walk into combat in their hammers and favored weapons and beet **** up when they are out of spells.

DracoDei
2013-04-22, 02:42 PM
For most circumstances I consider Cones to be better for avoiding friendly fire issues than bursts/spreads. The short range helps some compared to Fireball, but piercing is actually better than fire at high levels, due to the number of enemies that are flat-out immune to fire.

In short, this seems balanced for a Wizard, not for a Cleric.

Maybe if you specified that damage reduction applies to EACH d6.

Thugorp
2013-05-11, 01:59 PM
cool we all agreed on that. :-)

Straybow
2013-05-24, 08:39 PM
Another 1d6/level damage area effect spell? A bit boring, spice it up. Perhaps each creature in the area of effect is hit with 1d10+CL/2 (1d10+10 max) arrows, each doing 1d6 damage.

Number of arrows can be reduced by cover percentage, and a shield can count as cover percentage with saving throw (10% buckler, 20% small shield, 40% large shield, 60% tower shield). Likewise, a reflex save allows ducking behind any existing cover in adjacent tile for half the value of the cover (you get hit some before you get there). Movement provokes AoO.

Falling prone counts as 60% cover for this purpose (net 30% reduction if successful), but the subject is then prone until taking a move action to stand even if the save failed (you tried but reaction was too slow). Diving into an adjacent tile that is out of the area of effect is treated as 100% cover (net 50% reduction if successful) with subject then prone.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-05-24, 09:00 PM
I agree with Straybow its a bit uninspired.

Here's another idea,

Using your base attack bonus and wisdom modifier in place of dexterity. Make one ranged attack against per three caster levels against every target caught in the area. Each arrow likewise deals 1d8 points of damage +1 per three caster levels. Maximum five in both cases.

The arrows would be subject to damage reduction, cover and miss chance.

Thugorp
2013-05-26, 11:29 AM
I like Lord Vukodlak's idea, make it so you have to roll 1 ranged touch attack/character hit and all the arrows / target use the same roll. Also, you should be able to pickup and take the arrows with you after the spell. :-)

inuyasha
2013-05-26, 11:56 AM
Another 1d6/level damage area effect spell? A bit boring, spice it up. Perhaps each creature in the area of effect is hit with 1d10+CL/2 (1d10+10 max) arrows, each doing 1d6 damage.

Number of arrows can be reduced by cover percentage, and a shield can count as cover percentage with saving throw (10% buckler, 20% small shield, 40% large shield, 60% tower shield). Likewise, a reflex save allows ducking behind any existing cover in adjacent tile for half the value of the cover (you get hit some before you get there). Movement provokes AoO.

Falling prone counts as 60% cover for this purpose (net 30% reduction if successful), but the subject is then prone until taking a move action to stand even if the save failed (you tried but reaction was too slow). Diving into an adjacent tile that is out of the area of effect is treated as 100% cover (net 50% reduction if successful) with subject then prone.
I do like this, i think it is fun

I agree with Straybow its a bit uninspired.

Here's another idea,

Using your base attack bonus and wisdom modifier in place of dexterity. Make one ranged attack against per three caster levels against every target caught in the area. Each arrow likewise deals 1d8 points of damage +1 per three caster levels. Maximum five in both cases.

The arrows would be subject to damage reduction, cover and miss chance.
this has been done I believe.

I will proceed to editing in a sec, im working on an old project that I am slowly creating

Thugorp
2013-05-26, 01:36 PM
Cool, but also, why is it a cleric spell?

inuyasha
2013-05-26, 01:38 PM
I thought it would be because blade barrier is, so i made it a cleric spell :p

Thugorp
2013-05-26, 01:44 PM
I just reread the spell for the first time in a wile. Thanks for making it sorc/wiz, but also, 10gp./casting seems a bit too costly. and you should say weather or not the arows stick around after the spell. :-)

XionUnborn01
2013-05-26, 05:10 PM
I could see this working better with a rider effect. something like taking more than 10 damage knocks back Xft, 20 or more causes them to get pinned to the ground after knockback and requires a str check to get up, and like 40 or more damage deals like 2d4 con damage after knockback and pin.

Svata
2013-05-27, 05:35 PM
I do believe that this should also be available as a ranger spell, because, you know, arrows. There is precedent for making a spell both sorc/wiz and ranger, and having it be nothing else, namely Arrow Mind, from page 15 of the spell compendium.