PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 PrC] Thrall of Pelor (Burning Hatred) [PEACH]

Xuldarinar
2013-03-08, 10:17 PM
I've seen various places discuss Pelor of burning hate, so I felt that it was time he got his own PrC devoted to him. Below I have the variation of Pelor that inspired this PrC, and of course the PrC. This I feel needs a fair bit of work so every bit is appreciated. New ability ideas, changes to ones that are there, adjustment to entry requirements, hit die, skill points, casting advancement, defense and BAB advancement, ect.

Thrall of Pelor

Update Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298006)

Abyssal Lord, Pelor of Burning Hatred

Subj: [PLANESCAPE] - a new Abyssal Lord
Date: 98-05-04 13:41:23 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
Reply-to: [email protected]
To: [email protected]

Here you Go folks a new, evil Tanar'ri (Demon) Lord

PELOR
Climate:Gray Waste
Frequency:Unique
Organization:Planar Ruler
Activity Cycle:Any
Diet:Carnivore"souls"
Intelligence:SupraGenius"21"
Treasure:U,Z,W,X
Alignement:Chaotic-Evil
Armor Class:-11
Movement:14
Hit Dice:47 HP:277
Thaco: 3
# of Att: 4
Dam:1d10+6 1d10+6
Special Att:Spells / summon Tanar'ri(demons)
Special Def:Immunities of Tanar'ri
Magic Resistance:70%
Size: 9' tall
Morale: Fearless(19)
XP Value: 48 000

Pelor a Tanar'ri Abyssal Lord whom in the past once served under the great Queen of the Abyss Lilith over a millenia ago before the Blood War had ever started in the Lower Planes. Pelor was the Bringer of Light for his Queen, until the day he rebeled against her and her rule. Pelor was the first Tanar'ri to escape the Abyssal realm of Lilith. Pelor had decided to flee to the Gray Waste where Pelor easily founded his own Planar realm and had begun to put into the effect his diabolical shemes of damnation, chaos, and destruction upon the multiverse.

However over the years the Abyssal lord Pelor has spent dwelling within the Gray Waste, has had a effect upon his nature. In fact the very Nature of the Abyssal Lord Pelor has changed and is still in a state of flux, as the Abyssal Lord Pelor strives to achieve his higher form of being. Pelor appears as a ageless male planar tainted human with a golden crown of sunstones upon his head. His eyes, teeth, and nails however are clearly demonic in appearence and nature so Pelor still has signs of his Tanar'ri nature.

Combat: Pelor is a serious combatant whom enjoys using physical strength and spells to humiliate first then destroy in the bloodiest of fashions. He is a ambi-dextrous Grand Master in the Long Swords. He has two inteligent artifact long Swords. The Left handed Sword is Uggrazz, capable of inflicting wounds that can not be closed except by a heal, only when they strike a Lawful Good mortal. In his Right Hand is the Loyal Sword SwaD'Wi. This Sword can emit a ray of painful light 10 times a day, for 27 points of Dammage save for half against Death Magic.

Plots and Goals: He has realised the power of belief from mortal so the Abyssal Lord Pelor enjoys creating Cults, and false Faiths in his name upon the prime Worlds he enjoys to visits. To do this he Travels to a desired prime World in the Guise of a kind Priest of Pelor. Using his Crown of Sunstones that acts as a amulet of non-dectection only upon a prime plane. In this Guise He uses his lay on hands 10 times a day to heal 27 points of Dammage. Also he can do minor creation, improved phantasmal force and major creation at will while in this role. All this he does so he can make his Priestly Guise and the Faith of Pelor more Believalbe to the clueless of the prime world he visits. His false faith he has decided is one where Pelor is a Greater God of Healing and protection.

Followers and ressources: Pelor can Gate 1-4 Unique Balors(50% chance) whom appear as Solars, with flaming wings but have a subltle hint of their Tanar'ri taint visible in some part of their body if one looks hard enough. Pelor can use Items allowable to fighters, priests, and mages. The Bringer of Light Pelor has many designs upon many primes and patiently waits for them to mature for the day he can unleash Hellfire and Damnation.

He has a long estasblished False faith upon Oerth, a couple small cults on Toril and Mystara, whom are growing at amusing rate. All of this is part of his scheme only he can see . He also has designs of starting his false faith upon the planes starting in Sigil but thus far has had only a very small success in this goal, thank in large part to a mortal proxy Scion of his he has sent to sigil to spread the Faith of Pelor!

Well there you go folks, what did you think? flames comments--------Roland "Proxy Scion Herald of the Abyssal "Demon" Lord Pelor!"

Arcanist
2013-03-09, 12:31 AM
Why not make it a full casting progression? If it is to keep in line with the BoVD's Thrall classes, I'm sorry to say, but those classes are crap of the highest degree :smallconfused:

... It seems that everything goes down hill after 5th level...

Xuldarinar
2013-03-09, 01:19 AM
Why not make it a full casting progression? If it is to keep in line with the BoVD's Thrall classes, I'm sorry to say, but those classes are crap of the highest degree :smallconfused:

... It seems that everything goes down hill after 5th level...

Well, thats a good point. A simple enough thing to change, which I'll do right now. The question is now, what ability wise to add to encourage following through on it. Maybe I should trim it down to a 5 level PrC?

Edit: Ah, caught a typo. If thats what you meant, thank you. How embarrassing. ;;

jedipilot24
2013-03-12, 08:13 AM
Maybe I should trim it down to a 5 level PrC?

How about a 3 level PrC since you have 7 dead levels.

D4rtagnan
2013-03-12, 09:20 AM
Either trim it down or beef it up. You have a lot of dead levels and the ablities you do have are really under powered.

I can see were you are trying to take this PrC but it needs work. I suggest looking at Master of Radiance and Sacred Purifier and taking some stuff from those two classes.

JoshuaZ
2013-03-12, 10:14 AM
Suggested other class abilities:

Pelor's Light (ex): At third level, a Thrall of Pelor may add to a divine casting class a first level spell with the [light] or [fire] descriptor capable of dealing damage. This spell may be from any spell list. At sixth level they may do so this again with a spell of second level or lower, and at ninth level, a spell of third level or lower.

The Burning (ex): A Thrall of Pelor gets a +1 bonus to the save DC of any spell they cast with the [fire] or [light] descriptors. Furthermore, a Thrall of Pelor may choose to treat spelsl with the [light] descriptor as having the [fire] descriptor.

Burning Foresight(su): At seventh level, once a day, a Thrall of Pelor may engage in a ritual which requires burning a helpless intelligent creature with at least three hit die. Undead are normally chosen, but any intelligent creature will actually do. The ritual requires slowly burning them over the course of ten minutes. If necessary, to prolong the fire and agony of the victim, placing wet wool can be placed on the victim's chest. The Thrall may gaze into the fire and smoke, whose patterns reveal secrets to the Thrall. This effect duplicates either Divination or Legend Lore (chosen at the start of the ritual).

Sunburst(sp): At 8th level, once a day a Thrall of Pelor may use Sunburst as a spell-like ability. The save DC is 18 + your wisdom modifier.

Light of Recovey: At 10th level, a Thrall of Pelor learns to recover power force from those destroyed by Pelor's purging light. Whenever a creature of at least 2 hit die is destroyed by a divine spell or spell-like ability they cast with the [light] descriptor, the Thrall may recover a spell slot or prepared spell they have used in the last 24 hours. The slot level may not exceed half the hit die of the creature destroyed, nor may it exceed the level of the spell used (or its effective level if it is a spell-like ability). If multiple creatures are destroyed this way with a single spell or spell-like ability, you may recover multiple spell slots.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-12, 12:03 PM
Suggested other class abilities:

Pelor's Light (ex): At third level, a Thrall of Pelor may add to a divine casting class a first level spell with the [light] or [fire] descriptor capable of dealing damage. This spell may be from any spell list. At sixth level they may do so this again with a spell of second level or lower, and at ninth level, a spell of third level or lower.

The Burning (ex): A Thrall of Pelor gets a +1 bonus to the save DC of any spell they cast with the [fire] or [light] descriptors. Furthermore, a Thrall of Pelor may choose to treat spelsl with the [light] descriptor as having the [fire] descriptor.

Burning Foresight(su): At seventh level, once a day, a Thrall of Pelor may engage in a ritual which requires burning a helpless intelligent creature with at least three hit die. Undead are normally chosen, but any intelligent creature will actually do. The ritual requires slowly burning them over the course of ten minutes. If necessary, to prolong the fire and agony of the victim, placing wet wool can be placed on the victim's chest. The Thrall may gaze into the fire and smoke, whose patterns reveal secrets to the Thrall. This effect duplicates either Divination or Legend Lore (chosen at the start of the ritual).

Sunburst(sp): At 8th level, once a day a Thrall of Pelor may use Sunburst as a spell-like ability. The save DC is 18 + your wisdom modifier.

Light of Recovey: At 10th level, a Thrall of Pelor learns to recover power force from those destroyed by Pelor's purging light. Whenever a creature of at least 2 hit die is destroyed by a divine spell or spell-like ability they cast with the [light] descriptor, the Thrall may recover a spell slot or prepared spell they have used in the last 24 hours. The slot level may not exceed half the hit die of the creature destroyed, nor may it exceed the level of the spell used (or its effective level if it is a spell-like ability). If multiple creatures are destroyed this way with a single spell or spell-like ability, you may recover multiple spell slots.

Thank you very much, this actually helps a lot, and i've added it to the class itself. It seems much more complete though still I'm sure there are a few kinks to work out.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-12, 12:21 PM
Either trim it down or beef it up. You have a lot of dead levels and the ablities you do have are really under powered.

I can see were you are trying to take this PrC but it needs work. I suggest looking at Master of Radiance and Sacred Purifier and taking some stuff from those two classes.

Thank you for the advice. Though I've applied it in a different fashion, now that most of the dead levels have been filled.

A section within the class starting allowance to Master of Radiance, Sacred Purifier, and Radiant Servant of Pelor.
Why? Well, the Master of Radiance, being of light, could have association with pelor and he would grant for the destruction of the undead. Sacred Purifier, again for destroying the undead. And since Radiant Servants of Pelor worship pelor already, it isn't a stretch to allow worshipers of pelor, burning hate. Besides,the dead cannot suffer and healing spells can damaged the undead, last I checked.

If you think this addition is a good idea, great. If not, say so. If you think more classes should be added to the list, please say so.

JoshuaZ
2013-03-12, 02:32 PM
Hmm, so we still need something at 5th level. I'm all out of ideas. Anyone got anything?

jedipilot24
2013-03-12, 02:50 PM
No idea for that but I do see another possible addition to the Pelor's Exception ability: Searing Light spells cast by the Thrall of Pelor now have the Light Descriptor.

The spell, despite the name, does not have the Light Descriptor. Check it out (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/searingLight.htm).

EDIT: maybe an ability that allows the Thrall of Pelor to spontaneously cast spells with the Light or Fire descriptors.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-12, 02:58 PM
Hmm, so we still need something at 5th level. I'm all out of ideas. Anyone got anything?

I got a few general ideas:

-An aura based ability (like the one from master of radiance)
-A spell-like ability
-Another boost to spells
-A smite
-A channel ability (Like, allow the cauterizing touch to be used with a weapon, or even allowing spells of the [light] and [fire] descriptor to be channeled through melee strikes. Possibly only allowing the use of which, with the morning star)
-A type and/or subtype change (more fitting for 10th level perhaps but -shrug-)
-A bonus domain
-A bonus feat (Specific one, something like like Weapon Specialization [Morningstar] or Energy Substitution [Fire], or one from a list of options.)
-Something to grant some spell casting to non casters in this prestige class, which would just wind up being a boost to casters who entered.
-Something that splits up damage type. Similar to what Lord of Uttercold, Silver Pyromancer, Born of the Three Thunders, and Invocation of the Knife do.
-Something truly unique.

Xuldarinar
2013-03-12, 03:01 PM
No idea for that but I do see another possible addition to the Pelor's Exception ability: Searing Light spells cast by the Thrall of Pelor now have the Light Descriptor.

The spell, despite the name, does not have the Light Descriptor. Check it out (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/searingLight.htm).

EDIT: maybe an ability that allows the Thrall of Pelor to spontaneously cast spells with the Light or Fire descriptors.

Added the addition to Pelor's Exception.

The spontaneous casting ability is an interesting idea. If nothing else comes up, I might just add that on its own or mixed with something else.