PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk Adjusted Race and Varients

Madara
2013-03-10, 02:56 PM
So I'm working on a setting(An E8 Setting) project with some friends. We're doing different races from core, and one of them is Lizardfolk. We're just now beginning the Races portion of the project, and this is the first race that we're working on. Since this will be the baseline for all the races, I thought I'd put it here for some feedback. The idea is to use the variant races like Unearthed Arcana has to allow us to have a limited race selection while maintaining many player options. Right now, I'm posting just the crunch, since the fluff is largely a Work in Progress. Keep in mind that this race as is has no LA or Racial HD.

Base Lizardfolk Statistics

+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
Medium: As Medium creatures, Lizardfolk have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Lizardfolk Base Land Speed is 30ft.
+1 Natural Armor Bonus. Lizardfolk have Scaly Skin which protects them against physical attacks.
+2 Bonus to Climb or Swim checks. Lizardfolk either have clawed hands which give them a naturally good grip to climb with, or they have somewhat webbed fingers allowing a smoother movement in water. Which skill the bonus applies to must be selected at 1st level, and cannot be changed after.
Low-Light Vision: Lizardfolk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. A Lizardfolk can only see in black and white, however, in this low illumination.
Lizardfolk gain a +1 Bonus to Fortitude Saves. Their heritage grants them extra heartiness for surviving difficult conditions.

Lizardfolk Variant Templates

Chameleon Template
Some Lizardfolk inherit the rare ability to moderately change their skin tone to blend in with their surroundings. These Lizardfolk often work in shady types of business, but others have found new ways to use their ability to change their skin color, some have even become famous models. The Chameleon Template can only be applied to a Lizardfolk at first level, and modifies the base race in the following manner;

Skin Changer: A Chameleon Lizardfolk gains the ability to modify their scale color, allowing them to gain a +6 Bonus to Hide checks as a Standard action. This ability lasts until the Lizardfolk moves to an area which the DM deems as a different backdrop than his skin matches. A Lizardfolk with this ability loses their +2 Natural Armor Bonus.

Poisonbrood Template
Of the Lizardfolk who moved near the Sacadian Woodlands, more than half soon became well acquainted with poisons. In fact, poison use is almost as natural as their medical knowledge. After many years of working with toxic substances and unusual plant life, some Lizardfolk discovered they have the natural ability to generate a weak poison, but when nursed, this allowed said Lizardfolk to become naturally resilient against poison.

+2 Bonus to Constitution, -2 Penalty to Wisdom, and a -2 Penalty to Charisma. Lizardfolk with this ability are even heartier than normal Lizardfolk, but are often Aloof and seem to repel people and draw suspicion everywhere they go. Lizardfolk with this ability lose the Dexterity Bonus and Strength Penalty of Normal Lizardfolk.
Immunity to Poison
Poison Secretion- Lizardfolk with this ability can produce one application worth of Black-Set Poison each day. The poison dries up if not placed in a container within an hour. See the Equipment section for more details about this poison.
Fire-Vulnerability: Lizardfolk with this ability take 1 ½ times the damage from fire effects.

Basilisk Template
Lizardfolk who remain near the waters like their ancestors retain the ability to live in water as comfortably as on land, these Lizardfolk are also more barbaric than other Lizardfolk because they haven’t changed over the years. These Lizardfolk are more militant than their brothers, and are often looked down upon as barbaric by other races.

+2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence. Basilisk Lizardfolk retain the true endurance of their ancestors, but also haven’t advanced in mental terms. This ability replaces the statistic modifiers of the normal Lizardfolk.
Amphibious: Lizardfolk with the Basilisk Template gain the Amphibious Subtype.
Vulnerability to Cold: Basilisk Lizardfolk take double damage from cold effects.

Frathe
2013-03-10, 03:28 PM
I probably wouldn't give a LA +0 race natural armor, at least without something bad to counterbalance it.

Edit: For example, Kobolds get +1 natural armor, but then they get -4 strength (which results in a net negative ability score adjustment).

Madara
2013-03-10, 04:00 PM
I probably wouldn't give a LA +0 race natural armor, at least without something bad to counterbalance it.

Edit: For example, Kobolds get +1 natural armor, but then they get -4 strength (which results in a net negative ability score adjustment).

That's a good point. I feel like the Natural Armor is a necessary part of the race, so what should I use to counterbalance it? I could give them some sort of vulnerability. Or maybe there's something else...

Siosilvar
2013-03-10, 04:45 PM
Kobolds, however, are terrible and all of the things the web enhancement (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) gives them only might push them into LA+0 (though RotD gives plenty of powerful options for them that make them good sorcerers). The things have a -2 CR adjustment, after all.

+2 natural armor might be a bit much for LA+0, but +1 natural armor isn't out of line--you get the same bonus AC for being Small (and against touch attacks too), but that comes with basically an automatic reverse PA for 1 point as well.

Madara
2013-03-10, 04:47 PM
Kobolds, however, are terrible and all of the things the web enhancement (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) gives them only might push them into LA+0 (though RotD gives plenty of powerful options for them that make them good sorcerers). The things have a -2 CR adjustment, after all.

+2 natural armor might be a bit much for LA+0, but +1 natural armor isn't out of line--you get the same bonus AC for being Small (and against touch attacks too), but that comes with basically an automatic reverse PA for 1 point as well.

This might be more viable than using the poor sight ability. Thank you.