PDA

View Full Version : A spell a day

Alias
2013-03-11, 07:23 AM
I'm going to start posting a spell a day. Comments on the spells welcome - I'm going to be sticking to the more experimental or weird spells I've written, like...

Surge
Aboran Evocation [Metamagic]
Level: Sor/Wiz X
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25' + 5' / 2 levels)
Target: One spell
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Increase the spell level and caster level of the target spell by X. If the spell exceeds its level cap to damage because of this increase, ignore the cap.

Surge does something no current spell does, so its real hard to get a finger on where it should be.

Wargamer
2013-03-11, 08:05 AM
The fact that it lets you ignore damage cap says to me it should be at least 6, since it means a mid to high caster could cause quite significant damage with his low level spells...

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-11, 08:08 AM
So, basically, Heighten Spell - The Spell?

This is how I'd write it:

Surge
Level: Any Class, 2nd (See text)

Surge can be prepared in, or cast from, any spell slot that you possess, except 0 level spell slots. When cast Surge increases the Spell and Caster Level of the target spell, provided that it is from a lower level Spell Slot, as if it were cast from the Spell Slot used for Surge. If the spell exceeds its level cap to any numerical effects because of this increase, ignore the cap.

Surge is the equivalent of a 2nd level spell. Surge cannot be made into a magic item.

Alias
2013-03-11, 08:26 AM
Clarification that I think threw both of you off - Surge is level X. Not Level ? as in I don't know what level it should be. It's level is X. I'll get to that in a moment...

The fact that it lets you ignore damage cap says to me it should be at least 6, since it means a mid to high caster could cause quite significant damage with his low level spells...

Except they can't. You can't cast two spells simultaneously. You have to target another caster's spell - given surge's nature that's usually going to be a team mate's.

I'm thinking the spell is underpowered and here's why. As written I'm playing a 5th level druid and the party wizard cranks up fireball. I surge it, making it a 6th level spell for 8d6 damage. Sounds nice, but with my action couldn't I do more than give his spell a +3 DC bonus and 3d6 damage? Especially with a 3rd level slot?

Surge

Surge can be prepared in, or cast from, any spell slot that you possess, except 0 level spell slots. When cast Surge increases the Spell and Caster Level of the target spell, provided that it is from a lower level Spell Slot, as if it were cast from the Spell Slot used for Surge. If the spell exceeds its level cap to any numerical effects because of this increase, ignore the cap.

Surge is the equivalent of a 2nd level spell. Surge cannot be made into a magic item.

That's much harder to read then just having the spell be level X and explaining in one spot what being an X level spell means. Here's the section on them from my campaign book (where all of these spells will be drawn over the coming year - there's still 300 of them even after I did considerable pruning).

X Level Spells
A spell with a level of X has a scaling effect depending on what level they where prepared at or cast from. They may or may not have a minimum level at which they are prepared as noted in their description. Wizards learn these spells normally, but they take up space in their spell book equal to the highest level the wizard can cast them at.

When a sorcerer learns an X level spell he chooses a spells known slot for it and may cast the spell at that level or lower. Whenever he gains a new level of spells he may promote the X level spell into the recently gained spell known slot and immediately choose a replacement for it in the slot it occupied - this is in addition to any spell swaps he may be entitled to perform at that level.

The primary reason I posted this spell without the blurb above is gamers don't read books sequentially - they thumb through them or the PDF, and I'm interested in the sort of conclusions that might be drawn from reading the spell unprepared. Myself and my group are well aware of what Level: X means, what I can't learn from them is how it might be misunderstood.

This particular spell was chosen because it needs work - no matter what level it's cast from it seems underpowered - and its also one of the simplest of the X level spells.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-11, 09:25 AM
Personally, I think that the blurb about X-level spells was rather important. Since I didn't know that X-level spells were a thing in your campaign world, I assumed that "X" was simply a placeholder.

To boost its power, maybe state that you can cast the spell in the same round as any other spell you have cast?

Alias
2013-03-11, 09:35 AM
Personally, I think that the blurb about X-level spells was rather important. Since I didn't know that X-level spells were a thing in your campaign world, I assumed that "X" was simply a placeholder.

I didn't think about that at all. Is this an internet problem only, or a possible problem for the book once finalized?

To boost its power, maybe state that you can cast the spell in the same round as any other spell you have cast?

And then we have heighten spell without the feat slot in a roundabout manner. The spell is meant to encourage players to work together - the caster of this spell bolstering the other.

Hmm... A powerful possible interaction is to let it push up the level of other X level spells, but these spells are a relatively small handful and many wouldn't benefit from the level change anyway.

Would 2X be over the top? As in making the effect line:

Increase the spell level and caster level of the target spell by 2X. If the spell exceeds its level cap to damage because of this increase, ignore the cap.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-11, 09:45 AM
I didn't think about that at all. Is this an internet problem only, or a possible problem for the book once finalized?

It's only a problem if we don't know. Giving us a spell that has special rules, but not giving us those rules, is going to cause problems. The reason I did the rewrite was because I had no idea that "X" was a variable spell level. The fact that the rewrite was also variable was simply coincidence.

And then we have heighten spell without the feat slot in a roundabout manner. The spell is meant to encourage players to work together - the caster of this spell bolstering the other.

Hmm... A powerful possible interaction is to let it push up the level of other X level spells, but these spells are a relatively small handful and many wouldn't benefit from the level change anyway.

Would 2X be over the top? As in making the effect line:

Increase the spell level and caster level of the target spell by 2X. If the spell exceeds its level cap to damage because of this increase, ignore the cap.

Spell Level? Yes, you can get weird things like 18th level spells. Caster Level? No.

Alias
2013-03-11, 09:52 AM
Spell Level? Yes, you can get weird things like 18th level spells. Caster Level? No.

+18 caster levels, hence +18d6 damage on a fireball spell, takes a 9th level spell. That's still less damage than a meteor swarm.

The problem is the immediate casting time. The spell is giving a benefit without an action cost. Perhaps return it to being a standard action so that the character loses their action.

Also keep in mind that most of the spells past 4th level stop using caster level to determine their effect. Meteor swarm for example is 25d6 of love and doesn't change if you somehow made it a 27th level spell, which would be the non-epic end curve of the spell. Good luck saving against that though.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-11, 09:55 AM
And that's the problem. The Saves. Boosting the Spell level to such a high level would prevent ANYTHING from saving against it. Further widening the gap between Magic and Mundane.

Alias
2013-03-11, 10:14 AM
+X spell level, +2X caster level?

A 9th level slot targeting an ally's fireball would make it a 12th level spell with 28d6 damage. Make a note that the bonus levels of surge aren't subject to a level cap, but the caster's own levels are so limited. So even if the spell was cast by a 20th level wizard it would be 10d6 max normal damage +18d6 surge levels worth of damage.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-03-11, 10:23 AM
That seems balanced.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-11, 10:52 AM
There is an entire game based off d20 where the all the spells scale by level like that. You might be interested in it - it is the Wheel of Time RPG.

Not only just about any spell weave scales by level (eat 12th level Balefire, Forsaken jackass!!!) but there are feats talents, magic items angreal and class features class-specific talents that deal with that mechanic.

And let me tell you, a really angry, overchanelling Asha'man wielding Callandor to boost his lvl 1 weaves to 11th level and his lvl 9 weaves to 20th level is the reason smart people kill channelers of the One Power via poison - and poison delivered through a paid intermediary while you're in another continent at that. You don't want said Asha'man to open a Gate to your location and Balefire the city you're in before the poison takes effect.
(or do something really creative, like Travel to the city you're in and open a Gate leading to the heart of an active volcano right over it or something)

Alias
2013-03-12, 07:24 AM
Today's spell is a personal campaign classic...

Twincast
Balcran Evocation [Metamagic]
Level: Sor X
Range: Close (25’ + 5’ / 2 levels)
Target: One spell in casting.

Twincast creates a copy of a target incantation of less than level X which is cast by you immediately after the original spell even if you can’t normally cast it. Casting this copy does not cost you a spell slot, but you must be able to fulfill any component costs of the copied spell other than material components with a value less than one gold piece.

With this single spell a sorcerer can match a wizard's flexibility - especially if he travels with one. Yet, I've seen players go without it to no ill effect.

An incantation is a spell with a casting time of 1 full action or less. Spells with longer casting times are collectively referred to as rituals.

Pyromancer999
2013-03-12, 07:57 AM
This sounds a lot like the Twin Spell Metamagic feat and the Arcane Surge spell combined. Interesting, but hard to judge if it's worth it.

Alias
2013-03-12, 08:51 AM
This sounds a lot like the Twin Spell Metamagic feat and the Arcane Surge spell combined. Interesting, but hard to judge if it's worth it.

How exactly? You can't target your own spells. Ever.

As to whether its worth it, more than once I've had a sorcerer save their bacon by twincasting a cure spell. You don't have to be the target of the spell you are mimicking, you only have to see it being cast and the caster of the spell must be in range.

inuyasha
2013-03-12, 09:02 AM
these are great :smallbiggrin: do you mind if other people post their spells here too or is that a no no?

Alias
2013-03-12, 10:38 AM
I don't claim to own any thread so go ahead.

DracoDei
2013-03-12, 10:57 AM
For "Level X" I would just edit in a description of that mechanic to the top of the first post in this thread.

Surge

Changing spell slots doesn't change caster level.

Pyromancer999
2013-03-12, 03:22 PM
How exactly? You can't target your own spells. Ever.

As to whether its worth it, more than once I've had a sorcerer save their bacon by twincasting a cure spell. You don't have to be the target of the spell you are mimicking, you only have to see it being cast and the caster of the spell must be in range.

Wait, is the purpose to mimic another spell? Must've misread that.

Still, there already is a spell that does just that.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-12, 08:06 PM
I've been meaning to do this for a while. I think I might join in, with

Bouncing Ray
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25’ + 5’ / 2 levels)
Target: One creature or object

You blast your enemies with a searing ray of fire, which jumps between them to affect multiple enemies. A bouncing ray deals 3d6 damage per four caster levels (minimum 3d6) and requires a ranged touch attack to hit. If it hits, it jumps to another creature within close range of the previous with a new ranged touch attack, deals damage, and can jump again, continuing to do damage until it misses. A ray cannot bounce from one target to itself and has a maximum number of jumps equal to your caster level.

I'm really fond of evocations, and I wish they weren't awful. This lets low-level casters have an area-of-effect attack that deals impressive damage. I've also mathed it out to be almost exactly equal to Scorching Ray.

ArkenBrony
2013-03-12, 10:49 PM
could there be a table of contents in this so we can find the spells after the thread gets long, cause i think this will be big

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-13, 05:15 AM
could there be a table of contents in this so we can find the spells after the thread gets long, cause i think this will be big

Good idea. Edit to add my spell:

Dimension Jump
Conjuration [Teleportation]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Bard 4
Target: One touched creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

For the duration of this spell, the target can teleport anywhere within close range (25' + 5'/2 levels) as a move action. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

I've always wanted a lower-level teleport spell, but "You teleport 30 feet for a standard action and a spell slot" isn't really that impressive. Maybe a lower-level Dim. Door will be my spell tomorrow. Regardless, this is a buff that lets someone teleport around the battlefield, moving quickly and easily. It also lets you get somewhere quickly if you don't have Dimension Door.

Alias
2013-03-13, 07:38 AM
Wait, is the purpose to mimic another spell? Must've misread that.

Still, there already is a spell that does just that.

Unless you are referring to something homebrew or non-Paizo then no, there is not. And I'm not checking outside the 1,200 or so spells in the Paizo books. Twincast is quite unique. If you don't think so, you don't understand what it does.

I've been meaning to do this for a while. I think I might join in, with

[indent]Bouncing Ray

<snip>

damage. I've also mathed it out to be almost exactly equal to Scorching Ray.

Except its not. Touch AC ain't hard to hit, especially at high levels where even a wizard will hit unless the roll is 1. If we're dealing with a Magus, then all bets are off. The spell needs to be at least a level higher or further adjustment is needed.

Good idea. Edit to add my spell:
Dimension Jump

See Walk Through Space (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/spells/walkThroughSpace.html#_walk-through-space) from Ultimate Combat

Alias
2013-03-13, 07:57 AM

I can start doing that eventually. As for my own spells, they already have a book over on EN World (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?334562-The-Pathfinder-edition-of-Dusk-is-now-available) (since the file is too large to attach here). The setting also has a public Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/455577807825539/)

Today's spell uses the modifiers template. Were it printed in the traditional fashion, it would be 6 spells!

Paranoia
Sodran Enchantment (Charm) [Emotion, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 2, Discord 2
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 minute / level (D)
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The subject believes that every creature around him is a long time enemy and behaves appropriately for the duration of the spell. The spell does not over-ride other charm effects so if the subject is charmed by the caster then made paranoid he will honestly believe that the caster is his only true friend and that all others are enemies.

Modifiers

Communal (+2): You may apply the spell to multiple targets within the range so long as no two targets are more than 30' apart, dividing the duration between them in 1 minute increments.
Puppet Strings (+2): You apply charm person to the target, as per the spell, as an additional effect.
Mass (+5): You may affect a number of creatures equal to your level with the spell so long as no two targets are more than 30' apart.

To apply a spell modifier, add the number in parenthesis after the modifier name to the level. Spontaneous casters may do this freely. Modifiers may only be applied once each unless otherwise stated. In the Dusk setting all spells with the lesser, greater, mass or communal labels are retroactively made modifiers of the lowest level spell in the chain.

Modifiers are similar to feats in scope and purpose, but the reason they aren't unified to one feat is that the value of the modifier can change drastically depending on the attached spell, and the exact wording of what the modifier will do changes slightly from spell to spell, or even drastically for spells that have a greater modifier. For example, communal is usually a +1 modifier, but communal paranoia is far too dangerous to be 3rd level and should be 4th, hence for that spell, it's a +2 modifier. Similarly mass is usually a +4 modifier, but for paranoia it's +5.

One other note - discord is a new cleric domain.

inuyasha
2013-03-13, 06:58 PM
ok I have a spell of my own i made a while back and it has never been used nor has it been peached (hint hint i have a feeling it needs lots)
the ladder of fate
Conjuration
Level: Clr 9
Components: V, M, XP
Range: caster
Duration: one week
Saving throw: no
Spell resistance: no

When this spell is cast, a magical golden ladder appears in front of the caster, only she can see this. Once the caster climbs the ladder, she appears in her deitys realm and the deity gives her one artifact or magic item that deals with the deitys portfolio. This item is only a loan however so it only lasts for 1 week and if it somehow is destroyed, the caster gains 5 negative levels.

Material component: a small golden ladder

XP cost: 5000 XP

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-13, 08:27 PM
Except its not. Touch AC ain't hard to hit, especially at high levels where even a wizard will hit unless the roll is 1. If we're dealing with a Magus, then all bets are off. The spell needs to be at least a level higher or further adjustment is needed.

Oh, right, I forgot a damage cap. Like I said, it was mainly a lower-level spell for that iffy area before Fireball and not Burning Hands. I'm thinking to cap it at 4d6 or 5d6.

See Walk Through Space (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/spells/walkThroughSpace.html#_walk-through-space) from Ultimate Combat

... Well then. I can balance spells. Really. I can. Sometimes. How about we just pretend that was a typo when I wrote "level 3" and I meant to say "level 7".

Alias
2013-03-13, 08:35 PM
Oh, right, I forgot a damage cap. Like I said, it was mainly a lower-level spell for that iffy area before Fireball and not Burning Hands. I'm thinking to cap it at 4d6 or 5d6.

Even if properly capped, it could lead to *long* turns by the wizard, which will annoy the other players. It's a colorful concept, but it's resolution will be problematic.

... Well then. I can balance spells. Really. I can. Sometimes. How about we just pretend that was a typo when I wrote "level 3" and I meant to say "level 7".

I removed some 10 spells from my book while reviewing all the Pathfinder books and finding duplicate spells, so it happens to the best of us. For the record, I also had a phase walk spell like this and it too was 4th level. Maybe Pathfinder is overcosting it?

Anyway, the 3rd revision of the book is up over on ENWorld. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?334562-The-Pathfinder-edition-of-Dusk-is-now-available&p=6088679#post6088679)

Alias
2013-03-14, 07:42 AM
Today's spell replaces cure light wounds et al in the setting.

Cure Wounds
Valran Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Bard X, Clr X, Drd X, Pal X, Rng X
Components: V, S, (DF)
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Saving Throw: Will Half (harmless)

You channel positive energy to cure Xd8 of the damage dealt to the touched creature +1 point per casting level (maximum 5X). Undead are dealt damage by this spell instead of being healed and can attempt a will save for half damage.

Modifiers

Ritual (+0): You can cast this spell as a 1 minute ritual to change the healing die to d12.
Communal (+2): You may affect multiple creatures you touch, dividing the effect among the creatures as you see fit. All the dice rolls gain the same modifier for your caster level.
Mass (+4): You may affect a number of creatures equal to your caster level in close range of you. No two of the creatures to be affected may be more than 30' apart. The maximum bonus for caster level is +25.

Dragonus45
2013-03-14, 03:51 PM
Even if properly capped, it could lead to *long* turns by the wizard, which will annoy the other players. It's a colorful concept, but it's resolution will be problematic.

I removed some 10 spells from my book while reviewing all the Pathfinder books and finding duplicate spells, so it happens to the best of us. For the record, I also had a phase walk spell like this and it too was 4th level. Maybe Pathfinder is overcosting it?

Anyway, the 3rd revision of the book is up over on ENWorld. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?334562-The-Pathfinder-edition-of-Dusk-is-now-available&p=6088679#post6088679)

Any chance of getting a download from a site other than ENWorld for those of us without profiles.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-14, 08:03 PM
Today's spell should be interesting, if nothing else.

Swap Mind and Body
Transmutation [Polymorph]
Level: Clr 6, Wiz/Sor 6
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates

The touched creature swaps its ability scores. Its highest mental ability score becomes its lowest physical ability score and vice versa, its second highest mental ability score becomes its second, lowest physical ability score, and so on.

It's a new kind of save-or-suck, I guess. It's more interesting to be on the receiving end of than Disintegrate.

Alias
2013-03-15, 10:55 AM
Any chance of getting a download from a site other than ENWorld for those of us without profiles.

Facebook finally took the upload - I dunno why it wasn't taking it earlier..

https://www.facebook.com/download/147636638737321/Pathfinder%20Dusk.pdf

Today's spell...

Price of Progress
Shunran Evocation [Force]
Level: Drd 6
Range: Medium (100’+10’ / level)
Target: One Creature
Saving Throw: Fort ½
The targeted creature is dealt 1d6 damage for each magic item it carries other than a potion or scroll.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-15, 10:52 PM
Today's spell...

Price of Progress
Shunran Evocation [Force]
Level: Drd 6
Range: Medium (100’+10’ / level)
Target: One Creature
The targeted creature is dealt 1d6 damage for each magic item it carries other than a potion or scroll.

I like it. It's a more interesting alternative to "1d6/CL, save half". Besides, it gives something nice to VoP monks!

Here's mine:

Flickering Image
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Bard 6
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100' + 10'/level)
Effect: figment that cannot extend beyond four 10-ft. cubes + one 10-ft. cube/level (S)
Duration: concentration + 3 rounds
Saving Throw: Will partial (see text); Spell Resistance: (see text)

This spell functions as Major Image (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/majorImage.html), but flickers in and out of reality. Any time any creature or object makes contact or otherwise interacts with the image, the image has a 50% chance to be an illusion and a 50% chance to be the real thing. To a viewer who does not have True Seeing or does not disbelieve it, the flickering is imperceptible. The object appears as though under the effect of a Blink (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blink) spell to a viewer who does disbelieve.

For example, if you cast Flickering Image of a big wall and someone runs into it, they have a 50% chance to run through and a 50% chance to bounce off.

inuyasha
2013-03-15, 10:57 PM
did anybody notice mine :0

Alias
2013-03-16, 08:03 PM
Noticed it, didn't comment it because that sort of interaction between priests and their deities in my own setting is too situational to be pegged to a spell of any level.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-03-16, 10:01 PM
I like it. It's a more interesting alternative to "1d6/CL, save half". Besides, it gives something nice to VoP monks!

Here's mine:

Flickering Image
Illusion (Figment)
Effect: figment that cannot extend beyond four 10-ft. cubes + one 10-ft. cube/level (S)

This spell functions as Major Image (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/majorImage.html), but flickers in and out of reality. Any time any creature or object makes contact or otherwise interacts with the image, the image has a 50% chance to be an illusion and a 50% chance to be the real thing. To a viewer who does not have True Seeing or does not disbelieve it, the flickering is imperceptible. The object appears as though under the effect of a Blink (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blink) spell to a viewer who does disbelieve.

For example, if you cast Flickering Image of a big wall and someone runs into it, they have a 50% chance to run through and a 50% chance to bounce off.

Extremely open-ended, what if you use it to make a sphere of annihilation? I would specify that it can only block movement and feel real when touched, and that it can't actually deal damage (but it can cause illusory pain that isn't actually damage). And how is this any different from something like shadow conjuration?

Alias
2013-03-16, 10:56 PM
Today I'll again turn to a spell that uses the modifier mechanic, heavily. Without that mechanic we'd be looking at a lot of spell entries (more than 36) just for this range of effects. The innovation here isn't in what the spells do - its their presentation.

Elemental Infusion
Shunran Transmutation [Enhancement, see text]
Level: Clr 3, Pal 2, Magus 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, (DF), M
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: 1 min / level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

This entry is for a set of six spells, one for each major damage property as follows: acid, cold, electricity, fire, force, sonic. The damage type is chosen when the spell is prepared or learned (but see modifiers below). The ensorceled weapon deals 1d6 bonus damage on a successful hit, and this damage is of the type applied. Bows, crossbows and slings enchanted by this spell confer this bonus to their ammunition.

Whichever damage type you choose, the spell has the appropriate descriptor for that type.

Modifiers
Communal (+1): You may affect multiple weapons you touch, dividing its effect among them in 1 minute increments.
Burst(+1): On a critical hit the weapon deals 2d10 bonus damage on a critical hit instead of 1d6 damage. If the critical multiplier of the enchanted weapon is x3, then the corrosive burst weapon deals 3d10 bonus acid damage
Admixture (+2): You may add an additional damage type. You may apply this modifier repeatedly.
Modal Spell (+1): You may choose what type of damage property you bestow on the weapon at casting time rather than when you learn or prepare the spell.
Greater (+3): Double the dice. This includes the dice from admixtures and burst properties.
Mass (+4): You may apply this bonus to a number of weapons within close range of you up to your caster level.

So as a 3rd level spell you can make a weapon flaming. At 4th you could make a flaming burst weapon. At 8th you could mass that and so on.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-03-17, 02:12 AM
The comparable psionic power is 4th level (although that's according to a bard progression, so it's more like 5th or 6th, and it also bursts on critical hits and only lasts for one round per level). I would make this at least 4th level (paladin 3). I also think it's inappropriate for the cleric spell list.

Alias
2013-03-17, 08:46 AM
The comparable psionic power

What are those? (Psionics = not core = do NOT matter).

is 4th level (although that's according to a bard progression, so it's more like 5th or 6th, and it also bursts on critical hits and only lasts for one round per level). I would make this at least 4th level (paladin 3). I also think it's inappropriate for the cleric spell list.

One spell answers you - greater magic weapon. This 4th level spell grants a +1 to attack and damage rolls per 4 caster levels, so +2 when it starts to get used at 8th level. Eventually it gets up to +5 to hit and +5 to damage. Energy Infusion is +1d6 to damage and no bonus to hit, so it is clearly not on par with greater magic weapon. It's better than magic weapon (2nd) but not as good as greater magic weapon (4th) so it must go between them (3rd).

Also, magic weapon and greater magic weapon are cleric spells. This is similar enough to them to warrant inclusion on the lists of the same classes.

Alias
2013-03-17, 07:04 PM
Currently building the class spell indexes, one of the chores of making a book.

Here's a low level spell with no special rules attached.

Imaginary Pet
Balcran Illusion (Figment)
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Range: Close (25’ + 5’ level)
Effect: Illusory creature
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will Negates

You create a illusory creature with twice your hit dice, up to 10 HD. The creature attacks and defends as you direct and appears perfectly normal, but when the spell ends all damage it appeared to deal disappears, as does damage dealt to those who disbelieve in the imaginary pet.

TuggyNE
2013-03-17, 07:33 PM
What are those? (Psionics = not core = do NOT matter).

What? That's the first mention in this thread of core-only. No idea why you'd throw out all the splatbooks in existence if you're homebrewing a bunch of new spells; even if you don't use them, they're at least useful to compare to.

You can't even make the excuse that you don't have access to the XPH; it's right there on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/psionicPowers.htm)!

Alias
2013-03-17, 09:16 PM
What? That's the first mention in this thread of core-only. No idea why you'd throw out all the splatbooks in existence if you're homebrewing a bunch of new spells; even if you don't use them, they're at least useful to compare to.

If there has ever been a sub-system that was optional, it's psionics. I emphatically do not like or use the 3e iterations at all. If you like them, fine, but I choose not to worry about them at all.

You can't even make the excuse that you don't have access to the XPH; it's right there on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/psionicPowers.htm)!

I'm not making an excuse. I'm stating, emphatically, that am not using them.

I am writing my book for use with the following texts: Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Magic, Advanced Race Guide. That's more than enough books to keep track of, and between them there are over 1,200 spells. I do my primary balancing against core spells only, as Ultimate Magic advises should be done.

In other news the 4th revision is out with the spells by class information for all classes but the summoner and witch (they'll be included next draft). The files have been uploaded to Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/455577807825539/483264698390183/) and ENWorld (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?334562-The-Pathfinder-edition-of-Dusk-is-now-available&p=6088679#post6088679). Given the activity in that thread I would stop posting to it, but this forum doesn't support 6 MB file uploads.

Alias
2013-03-18, 07:52 AM
In reference to the alignment thread elsewhere, a spell that cares about alignment. This spell belongs to a new subschool, invocation. I'll do a thread about such spells later today.

Holy
Valran Evocation (Invocation)
Level: Clr 9
Casting Time: 1 full action
Target: One creature

You must be purely Valran aligned to cast this spell. Your patron sends a bolt of pure positive energy strikes down from the heavens upon one foe. The spell does nothing to a Valran aligned divine caster or paladin, 10d6 to a Valran aligned foe, 15d6 to a Balcran or Aboran foe, 20d6 to a Shunran or Sodran foe, 25d6 to a Shunran or Aboran divine caster and 30d6 to any
undead.

Alias
2013-03-19, 08:08 AM
Counterspell
Balcran Abjuration (Dispel)
Level: Magus 5, Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Medium (100'+10' / level)

Counter target spell.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-03-19, 12:20 PM
Counterspell
Balcran Abjuration (Dispel)
Level: Magus 5, Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Medium (100'+10' / level)

Counter target spell.

Overpowered, compare it to greater dispel magic.

If it only worked on spells 3rd level and lower, it would be fine.

Alias
2013-03-19, 01:58 PM
Overpowered, compare it to greater dispel magic.

If it only worked on spells 3rd level and lower, it would be fine.

Overpowered? You need to rethink that -- a bit.

First, greater dispel magic has a much wider range of applications. A spell that can do many things will be weaker at any one of those applications than a spell focused on one task. It's ability to counterspell is, at best a throw in, whereas the counterspell spell is wholly devoted to its one task.

Second, a readied magic missile can counterspell by forcing a failed concentration check. 4d4+4 damage is as reliable as greater dispel magic's +4 bonus to countering, and if it fails the humble magic missile still did 4d4+4 damage. And that's a first level spell.

Silence is a counterspell to 90% of the spells in the game - put it on a rock, then throw the rock at the caster as a ready action. That's 2nd level, but it has drawbacks. You could fail to get the rock within 10' of the caster (unlikely but possible on a roll of 1). You can't cast spells yourself while you have said rock at the ready.

At 4th level counterspell has none of those drawbacks and the advantage of begin able to literally come out of nowhere because of its immediate action casting time.

Putting it on a wand is obnoxious, but not game breaking. Wands are standard action to activate even if the spell has a faster casting time. As such, you have to ready an action to use it on the wand. If you consistently use it to block another spell caster you may indeed put them out of the fight, but you put yourself out too.

The spell is at its nastiest with a sorcerer who can cast it and cast something else each turn. But even then, I feel it only accomplishes justifying its current level.

DracoDei
2013-03-19, 02:51 PM
Overpowered? You need to rethink that -- a bit.

First, greater dispel magic has a much wider range of applications. A spell that can do many things will be weaker at any one of those applications than a spell focused on one task. It's ability to counterspell is, at best a throw in, whereas the counterspell spell is wholly devoted to its one task.

Second, a readied magic missile can counterspell by forcing a failed concentration check. 4d4+4 damage is as reliable as greater dispel magic's +4 bonus to countering, and if it fails the humble magic missile still did 4d4+4 damage. And that's a first level spell.

Silence is a counterspell to 90% of the spells in the game - put it on a rock, then throw the rock at the caster as a ready action. That's 2nd level, but it has drawbacks. You could fail to get the rock within 10' of the caster (unlikely but possible on a roll of 1). You can't cast spells yourself while you have said rock at the ready.

At 4th level counterspell has none of those drawbacks and the advantage of begin able to literally come out of nowhere because of its immediate action casting time.

Putting it on a wand is obnoxious, but not game breaking. Wands are standard action to activate even if the spell has a faster casting time. As such, you have to ready an action to use it on the wand. If you consistently use it to block another spell caster you may indeed put them out of the fight, but you put yourself out too.

The spell is at its nastiest with a sorcerer who can cast it and cast something else each turn. But even then, I feel it only accomplishes justifying its current level.
Don't a lot of those require readied actions (just like Greater Dispel Magic does), rather than an Immediate action?

Alias
2013-03-19, 03:31 PM
Don't a lot of those require readied actions (just like Greater Dispel Magic does), rather than an Immediate action?

Indeed, they do. The fact that counterspell is an immediate action is the whole point of it being 4th level. Without that trait its worse than silence on a rock, which the wizard doesn't even have to do - he can hand the rock off to the rogue.

To my mind a spell in casting should be relatively easy to disrupt. Allowing it to be easy nerfs high level casters considerably. The harder it is to disrupt spellcasting, the more spellcasters will dominate play, especially at high levels.

Eldest
2013-03-19, 04:58 PM

Here's mine:

Flickering Image
Illusion (Figment)

Note that this should be a Illusion (Shadow) effect. In addition, sticking the Counterspell spell onto a sorcerer instantly make him the best Mother May I character in existance, preferably put together with a Dispel/Greater Dispel. You really might want to consider nerfing it.

Alias
2013-03-19, 09:47 PM
Note that this should be a Illusion (Shadow) effect. In addition, sticking the Counterspell spell onto a sorcerer instantly make him the best Mother May I character in existance, preferably put together with a Dispel/Greater Dispel. You really might want to consider nerfing it.

What is it with people making claims without playing something through? It's not as good a spell as it looks folks. I've ran battles with it several times and its no better or worse than any other 4th level spell.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-03-19, 10:55 PM
What is it with people making claims without playing something through? It's not as good a spell as it looks folks. I've ran battles with it several times and its no better or worse than any other 4th level spell.

It's the immediate action, no save, and no spell level limit. It lets you shut down one other caster on the battlefield until you run out of spell slots. If you have enough Spellcraft to identify your opponent's spells and decide what they cast (assuming they Quicken to bypass you), then it makes you nigh-unbeatable versus other casters.

As a 8th level sorcerer, yes, it's balanced compared to the other spells at your level (solid fog, black tentacles, greater invisibility, enervation, polymorph, all of these are awesome spells). As a 15th level sorcerer, it's horribly broken because knowing it makes you nigh-invulnerable. Wizards who know the spell will have to strike a balance for how many they prepare, but a high-level wizard could prepare two or three and then carry a few pearls of power to use the trick every encounter. That's why I recommend limiting it to spells of 3rd level or lower (which minor globe of invulnerability does for basically the same reason).

It needs to only work on spells of 3rd level or lower. If you still want it to work on anything, then let it allow a Will save and then it would make a fine 3rd level spell. If you want it to be a reliable counterspell, then make it require a standard action (so you have to ready it) and keep it at 4th level. Just pick any of those three things, because all three together make it far too powerful.

Alias
2013-03-20, 08:26 AM
It's the immediate action, no save, and no spell level limit. It lets you shut down one other caster on the battlefield until you run out of spell slots. If you have enough Spellcraft to identify your opponent's spells and decide what they cast (assuming they Quicken to bypass you), then it makes you nigh-unbeatable versus other casters.

I don't buy it. This spell is iconic to Balcra (blue) as fireball is to Shunra (red). And it's not getting picked or played in my game or playtests? That's a problem to me, and a large one. Sure, you can shut down a high level caster at 15th level, but you can be shut down as well. Or pull out a wand - counterspell doesn't stop spell activation items. Get your fighter buddy on him and force him to take an attack of opportunity if he goes for the counter. Move out of medium range -- nearly all the prime offense spells outrange counterspell.

In the prior version the spell was restricted to the blue mages as a 4th level spell, and 5th level for everyone else. It was a ready action spell, but again - no one played it.

Also, sorcerers don't have the luxury of spells this narrow. There are a lot of encounters that this spell isn't going to help with. That' likely less of an issue come 15th level, but its still a niche spell that only comes into its own in caster to caster fights. Any 15th level wizard worth his salt is going to at the least have an escape plan ready - ring of teleport or the like. Or put absolutism (blue) on a magic item and shut it down that way.

So no, no one has convinced me that this spell needs to go anywhere. Since I mentioned absolutism, I'll post what it does as today's spell...

Absolutism
Valran Abjuration (Ward)
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 7

This is a set of five distinct spells, each of which works like an antimagic field except they only affect the spells and effects of one alignment. This alignment is chosen when the spell is learned (sorcerers) or prepared (clerics and wizards).

These spells shut casters down and collectively are five of Valra's nastiest spells. Illusions a problem - choose Balcra. Blaster mage - choose Shunra. Expecting druids - Abora will crimp their usual choices.

Dragonus45
2013-03-20, 04:08 PM
I don't buy it. This spell is iconic to Balcra (blue) as fireball is to Shunra (red). And it's not getting picked or played in my game or playtests? That's a problem to me, and a large one. Sure, you can shut down a high level caster at 15th level, but you can be shut down as well. Or pull out a wand - counterspell doesn't stop spell activation items. Get your fighter buddy on him and force him to take an attack of opportunity if he goes for the counter. Move out of medium range -- nearly all the prime offense spells outrange counterspell.

In the prior version the spell was restricted to the blue mages as a 4th level spell, and 5th level for everyone else. It was a ready action spell, but again - no one played it.

As one of your players, I would point out that our group wouldn't know optimization if it started swinging at them with dominate person on a masterwork +5 stick. That said i think counter spell is mostly just fine, i figure it self balances after a certain point. Most any caster who isn't wholly red is likely to have it on hand, and at that point you just counter spell there counter spell. Or get another caster in your party to do it for you with that bestow spell spell, and that's not counting all the items you could use to get around it like you mentioned.

Alias
2013-03-21, 07:50 AM
True that. Anyway.

Volley of Boulders
Shunran Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Targets: Up to 1 pebble / caster level.
Duration: 1 round / level (D)
Saving Throw: See Text

When you throw a pebble enchanted by this spell it changes into a 50 lb. boulder mid-flight. The boulder follows the same flight path the pebble would have followed. The boulder strikes for 2d6 damage + your
casting ability modifier.

This spell is deceptive. Wizards at 17th level make more than one attack a round, and if a wizard did take rapid shot and a sling he can put a hurt on with this spell by making 3 attacks a round. If all hit that's 6d6+30 (I'm assuming most 17th level casters have the magic items necessary to get a +10 on their casting score modifier).

With 17 pebbles that 34d6+170 damage, far more than meteor swarm. It just doesn't cork that damage out in one round.

Anyway, I think it's 9th level material - thoughts?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-03-21, 11:03 AM
True that. Anyway.

Volley of Boulders
Shunran Transmutation [Earth]
Targets: Up to 1 pebble / caster level.
Duration: 1 round / level (D)
Saving Throw: See Text

When you throw a pebble enchanted by this spell it changes into a 50 lb. boulder mid-flight. The boulder follows the same flight path the pebble would have followed. The boulder strikes for 2d6 damage + your
casting ability modifier.

This spell is deceptive. Wizards at 17th level make more than one attack a round, and if a wizard did take rapid shot and a sling he can put a hurt on with this spell by making 3 attacks a round. If all hit that's 6d6+30 (I'm assuming most 17th level casters have the magic items necessary to get a +10 on their casting score modifier).

With 17 pebbles that 34d6+170 damage, far more than meteor swarm. It just doesn't cork that damage out in one round.

Anyway, I think it's 9th level material - thoughts?

For comparison, the fifth-level spell telekinesis lets you throw fifteen weapons in a single round. No spell resistance, just attack rolls (substituting your Intelligence for your Dexterity). If you're using a bucket of greatswords that's 30d6 damage max (2d6 per caster level). Another point of reference is incendiary cloud, which allows a save but no spell resistance for 4d6 damage per round (with additional uses for battlefield control and blocking line of sight) and requires no action on the part of the caster after it is cast.

However, I can't say much about how powerful it is right now because the spell description is too vague.

"The boulder follows the same flight path the pebble would have followed. The boulder strikes..." isn't very helpful. Does that mean I have to make ranged touch attacks? What is their range increment? Do they automatically hit? Does it allow a saving throw to reduce damage or negate? The entry mentions Saving Throw: See Text but the text doesn't mention any saving throw.

What size category is the boulder in case I want to use it to block a door or use one as cover? Is there anything stopping me from throwing a fistful of pebbles?

Alias
2013-03-24, 10:00 PM
I'll need to think on the answers to those questions some more.

Counterspell is being revised considering the outcry back to the ready action casting time it had originally.

And now for another historically controversial spell.

Devastation
Shunran Evocation
Range: Personal
Casting Time: 1 full round
Area: See Text
Saving Throw: Reflex 1/2

You must choose and expend any number of spells as an additional cost to cast this spell. This spell explosively releases a catastrophic surge of spell energy. The spell deals 2 points damage for each spell level expended at the time this spell is cast. The affected area has a 1' radius / spell level so released. You take half damage from this spell, and there is a percentage chance you will be permanently stripped of your spell ability equal to the number of spell levels unleashed minus your caster level. Only a wish or miracle spell may restore your spell ability if it is lost this way.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-03-24, 10:26 PM
Devastation
Shunran Evocation
Range: Personal
Casting Time: 1 full round
Area: See Text
Saving Throw: Reflex 1/2

You must choose and expend any number of spells as an additional cost to cast this spell. This spell explosively releases a catastrophic surge of spell energy. The spell deals 2 points damage for each spell level expended at the time this spell is cast. The affected area has a 1' radius / spell level so released. You take half damage from this spell, and there is a percentage chance you will be permanently stripped of your spell ability equal to the number of spell levels unleashed minus your caster level. Only a wish or miracle spell may restore your spell ability if it is lost this way.

Is the caster allowed a Reflex save? Is it force damage? Is the effect a burst?

The damage is fine, by my calculations it's enough to destroy an army (but most casters will die when casting it). However, I have issues with the theme of the spell. From what I understand this is supposed to be a sacrificial last resort, correct?

For a spell that has a chance to semi-permanently disable or kill the caster while allowing SR and a saving throw, this is somewhat lackluster. I also think that thematically it makes a poor "last resort" spell because it actually works better when it's not the last spell you have left.

Perhaps it would be better to have this spell indiscriminately expend all of the caster's spell slots. It saves on bookkeeping, and makes the chance of being inconvenienced 5,000 XP more sensible. I would also add one-fifth the total spell levels expended to the save DC and checks to overcome spell resistance.

It would be nice if the spell could destroy walls and structures too.