PDA

View Full Version : Ziegander's 15th Fighter Fix! Help Me! I Can't Stop! [D&D 3.5]

Ziegander
2013-03-11, 08:49 PM
The Fighter

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh275/Ravingdork/HaroldtheRanger-1.jpg

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Strategy

1st|+1|+2|+1|+1|Combat Focus, Strategy|

2nd|+2|+3|+1|+1|Combat Superiority +1, +1d6|

3rd|+3|+3|+2|+2|Arms Knowledge|

4th|+4|+4|+2|+2|Improvise (1)|

5th|+5|+4|+3|+3|Battlefield Assessment (Foes)|

6th|+6/+1|+5|+3|+3|Combat Superiority +2, +2d6|

7th|+7/+2|+5|+3|+3|Cunning Logistician|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+4|+4|Improvise (2)|

9th|+9/+4|+6|+4|+4|Battlefield Assessment (Terrain)|

10th|+10/+5|+7|+5|+5|Combat Superiority +3, +3d6|

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+5|+5|Refocus|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+6|+6|Improvise (3)|

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+6|+6|Battlefield Assessment (Status)|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+6|+6|Combat Superiority +4, +4d6|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+7|+7|Problem Solver|

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+7|+7|Improvise (4)|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+8|+8|Battlefield Assessment (Awareness)|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+8|+8|Combat Superiority +5, +5d6|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+8|+8|Man of Action|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+9|+9|Greater Combat Focus, Improvise (5)|
[/table]

Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level): Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Proficiencies: A Fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all light, medium, and heavy armors, and with all shields (including Tower Shields). By spending 12 hours practicing with an armor, a shield, or a weapon that he is not proficient with a Fighter gains proficiency with that item. This practice need not be taken consecutively.

Fighter Bonus Feats
A Fighter begins play with the knowledge of three Fighter Bonus Feats which he adds to his Repertoire. He may not use any of these three feats to meet the prerequisites for one another. At every level after 1st, the Fighter adds a new Fighter Bonus Feat to his Repertoire.

A Fighter is also able to add Fighter Bonus Feats to his Repertoire through practice and/or observation with a successful Martial Lore check (DC 20 + 1 per Base Attack Bonus or Fighter level requirement in the feat's prerequisites +2 for each other feat among the feat's prerequisites). Anytime a creature within 30ft of the Fighter actively uses the benefit of a Fighter Bonus Feat it knows that the Fighter doesn't know, the Fighter should be given an opportunity to identify that feat with a Martial Lore check. Any feat identified in this manner is automatically added to the Fighter's Repertoire.

If the Fighter is able to hire someone to teach him a feat (Hireling level × the Martial Lore DC gp per day), the DC to learn it is reduced by 10. Learning a feat in this way is easier, but takes longer, requiring one day (8 hours per day) of practice per 5 points of the feat's Martial Lore DC. At the end of this period, the Fighter makes a Martial Lore check against the reduced DC. If this check is successful, the Fighter adds the feat to his Repertoire. If not, he may pay his tutor for additional training.

Combat Focus (Ex): A Fighter is at his best when the chips are down and everything is going to Baator in a handbasket. When the world is on fire, a Fighter keeps his head better than anyone. If he finds himself in a situation that is stressful and/or dangerous enough that he would normally be unable to "take 10" on skill checks, he automatically gains Combat Focus at the beginning of any such encounter. Despite the name of this ability, such an encounter need not necessarily be a combat encounter. By itself, this focus does nothing (at least not until later levels), but a Fighter may expend his Combat Focus as an immediate action to reroll a die roll he makes. He may use this ability to reroll a damage roll, even multiple dice if all dice contributed to a single attack.

Strategy (Ex): At the start of every combat encounter a Fighter forms a Strategy from among the Fighter Bonus Feats in his Repertoire, choosing a number of such feats as given in the table above. This costs the Fighter no actions and is done even before his first turn. A Fighter is only able to benefit from feats chosen in this way. At the start of each of his turns, before he takes any other actions, a Fighter may spend a swift action to form a new Strategy.

Combat Superiority (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Fighter gains a +1 competence bonus to Initiative, and to special combat actions (Bull Rush, Disarm, etc). Furthermore, he deals +1d6 damage when attacking from superior positioning such as via flanking or higher ground. These bonuses increase by 1 and 1d6 respectively every four levels after 2nd.

Arms Knowledge (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a Fighter enjoys a competence bonus to Appraise checks relating to armors, shields, and weapons equal to his class level, and receives a 25% discount when purchasing armors, shields, and/or weapons that he has successfully appraised.

Additionally, he gains the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, and may use it with an effective caster level equal to his Fighter class level. When crafting magic items in this way, he is considered capable of casting any required spells that an equal level Wizard could potentially cast.

Improvise (Ex): Starting at 4th level, whenever the Fighter spends a swift action to form a new Strategy he may choose a Fighter Bonus Feat that he has not added to his Repertoire and gain its benefits until the end of the encounter or until he spends another swift action to form another new Strategy, whichever comes first. At 4th level, he may only gain the benefit of one such feat per encounter, but every four levels after 4th this number increases by 1.

Battlefield Assessment (Ex): A Fighter uses his wits during any combat as much as, if not more so than, the strength of his arm. He may not be the most educated man or able to grasp arcane mysteries, and he doesn't have to be, because while the heat is on he's the most brilliant guy on the field. His tactical mind allows him to take in and process lots of combat-related information at once—faster than most other people.

Foes - Starting at 5th level, a Fighter gains a bonus to all Knowledge checks made to identify creatures equal to his class level (max +10). A Fighter that uses any Knowledge skill to attempt to identify a creature may do so as a free action.

Terrain - Starting at 9th level, a Fighter may find traps like Rogue and gains a bonus to all Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering), Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (History), and Search checks (max +15). When looking for traps, a Fighter that uses the Search skill may search a 5ft × 5ft area within 10ft once per round as a free action, or he may search everything within his line of sight as a full-round action.

Status - Starting at 13th level, a Fighter gains a bonus to all Sense Motive checks equal to his class level (max +20) and automatically knows the hit point totals and any conditions suffered by all creatures within his line of sight. When sensing enchantment or assessing his opponents, a Fighter that uses the Sense Motive skill may do so once per round as a free action.

Awareness - Starting at 17th level, a Fighter gains a bonus to all Listen and Spot checks equal to his class level (no max) as well as True Seeing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueSeeing.htm) within his reach and Blindsight to 20ft beyond it.

Cunning Logistician (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a Fighter always succeeds at Aid Another attempts and may use them from any distance as long as he is aware of his ally's position and his ally can both see and hear him. The bonus from the Fighter's Aid Another attempts increases to match his Combat Superiority bonus. Finally, rather than grant an ally a bonus to AC or to an attack roll, he may instead use Aid Another to grant an ally the use of a Fighter Bonus Feat from his Repertoire for the rest of the encounter. He may even use this ability to grant the use of feats that are not a part of his current Strategy.

Refocus (Ex): Starting at 11th level, whenever the Fighter fails a saving throw or is struck by an attack, if he has expended his Combat Focus this encounter, then he may spend an immediate action to regain it.

Problem Solver (Ex): Starting at 15th level, a Fighter may ready contingent actions any time he is able to rest for at least 5 minutes. Contingent actions are like readied actions (PHB 160) except that they remain readied indefinitely and after a contingent action has been taken, the Fighter's initiative count does not change. A Fighter may have a number of such contingent actions readied at a time, and may take no more contingent actions in a single 24-hour period, up to his Intelligence modifier (minimum 1).

Man of Action (Ex): Starting at 19th level, a Fighter gains an extra swift action each turn. He may spend two swift actions during his turn to take an extra standard action.

Greater Combat Focus (Ex): At 20th level, a Fighter may expend his Combat Focus to "take 20" on a d20 roll or to maximize a damage roll. While he maintains his Combat Focus he is immune to all Mind-Affecting spells and abilities.

ngilop
2013-03-11, 09:40 PM
I am not really digging the capstone ability all that much. pretty lackluster for what i feel 20th level fighters should be doing ala gilgamesh, heracles, beowulf and others.

I think sharper focus could give an insight bonus to AC of X+Y and fast healing of X? where X = 1 or 2 and Y = a set number of for example every 4th fighter level?

also shameless plug for fighter feats to be used with this fighter fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268577)

I like how you turned the fighter bonus feats into interchangelpe feast that can be redone to help the fighter out in a given situation.

Empedocles
2013-03-11, 09:53 PM
Sorry...am I missing something? Where are the strategies?

Ziegander
2013-03-11, 10:02 PM
Sorry...am I missing something? Where are the strategies?

The Fighter creates his own Strategies from among the feats he knows. His Strategy is just a quick, easy to reference name for the collection of feats he is currently using. Reread the Strategy feature and let me know if it's still unclear.

Empedocles
2013-03-11, 10:05 PM
The Fighter creates his own Strategies from among the feats he knows. His Strategy is just a quick, easy to reference name for the collection of feats he is currently using. Reread the Strategy feature and let me know if it's still unclear.

Oh wow. I actually tried the exact same thing in my fighter fix with tactics. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242078) Read through that thread a bit. It basically explains why no matter what, feats alone aren't enough. It boils down to:

-Such a mechanic rewards system mastery, but the fighter should probably be beginner friendly.
-You still don't have any new options, really, except using Martial Study as your feat (at which point why not just play a warblade?)
-Read this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13176373&postcount=6)

If I'm misunderstanding the mechanic, sorry

Ziegander
2013-03-11, 10:26 PM
Oh wow. I actually tried the exact same thing in my fighter fix with tactics. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242078) Read through that thread a bit. It basically explains why no matter what, feats alone aren't enough. It boils down to:

-Such a mechanic rewards system mastery, but the fighter should probably be beginner friendly.
-You still don't have any new options, really, except using Martial Study as your feat (at which point why not just play a warblade?)
-Read this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13176373&postcount=6)

If I'm misunderstanding the mechanic, sorry

You're not misunderstanding the mechanic at all, but I think you're misrepresenting it's role within this fix. It's true, feats alone aren't enough, especially when you're playing just with the published WotC Fighter Feats (which are largely terrible). But that's basically all your class did, aside from extra damage once per round.

But I expect that most people using one of my homebrew Fighters will be using homebrew Fighter feats as well. I've written probably hundreds of them myself, and there are loads more written by other members of the forum. Those players that would choose to use this fix and not use homebrew feats are still going to be playing a highly versatile, highly savvy combatant with a decent amount of out-of-combat utility.

More than that though, feats are not this Fighter's only class features. Lots of useful class skills coupled with lots of skill points help with versatility in early levels and with out-of-combat utility. Arms Knowledge, Cunning Logistician, and Problem Solver are all powerful meta-style tools that help him get his job done as well as enable him to perform other tasks well. As he gains levels, he learns ALL there is to know about battle and his class features reflect that.

EDIT (Not to Empedocles): There! It's all done, then. I'm happy with the Battlefield Assessment features now, and I've changed the 11th level and capstone features. Everything feels pretty good at this point.

Empedocles
2013-03-11, 10:35 PM
You're not misunderstanding the mechanic at all, but I think you're misrepresenting it's role within this fix. It's true, feats alone aren't enough, especially when you're playing just with the published WotC Fighter Feats (which are largely terrible). But that's basically all your class did, aside from extra damage once per round.

But I expect that most people using one of my homebrew Fighters will be using homebrew Fighter feats as well. I've written probably hundreds of them myself, and there are loads more written by other members of the forum. Those players that would choose to use this fix and not use homebrew feats are still going to be playing a highly versatile, highly savvy combatant with a decent amount of out-of-combat utility.

More than that though, feats are not this Fighter's only class features. Lots of useful class skills coupled with lots of skill points help with versatility in early levels and with out-of-combat utility. Arms Knowledge, Cunning Logistician, and Problem Solver are all powerful meta-style tools that help him get his job done as well as enable him to perform other tasks well. As he gains levels, he learns ALL there is to know about battle and his class features reflect that.

I didn't mean to say that it was it's only role, I was just explaining my personal experience with the mechanic. But I see the confusion.

Honestly I don't have the motivation to read through hundreds of fighter bonus feats, but I guess there must be quality ones out there, which means that no doubt this fix could be successful :smallsmile:

On the other hand, I still dont feel like there's much to do outside of combat. True, he is a fighter, so that isn't a priority, but it helps (and it's an often mentioned issue with the 3.5 fighter). I see where you tried to expand him a little on the Arms Knowledge and Battlefield Assessment. Arms Knowledge is really cool, especially since this guy will still probably be somewhat dependent on magic items (not a big deal, most 3.5 characters are). Battlefield Assessment on the other hand feels really lackluster.

Man of Action and Greater Combat focus both feel really bland to me, personally. I basically share ngilop's sentiments.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-03-11, 10:39 PM
That's a point of view that I don't necessarily agree with. I'm perfectly fine with the fighter being a master technical combatant, and requiring expertise to play. The post you linked to was partially in response to your stated goal of making a newbie-friendly class. Anyway, the Barbarian is the really classic "I just want to hit things" class.

Anyway. Have you tried one of those dog shock collar things? :smalltongue:

I'd take UMD off the skill list. It's not really that fitting for a fighter, and I really dislike the way it turns any class into a wizard-lite. I might put Diplomacy in to compensate-- help all those knights and military commanders, and you already have a bunch of other social skills.
The DC for learning new bonus feats is all kinds of silly. And by silly, I mean I can't tell what it's supposed to be. A table might be helpful here.
You might want to put some sort of limit on how many times you can stick Martial Study in your Repertoire/Improvisation. Or at least discuss the issue in a sidebar.
You might or might not want to think about what knowing potentially every fighter bonus feat means for PrC qualification.
Does Combat Focus apply in situations like climbing a tall cliff, of when there are time constraints?
I'm a little uncertain about allowing all feats in a Strategy to be retrained with just a swift action starting at first level.
Combat Superiority is a little vague on what "superior positioning" means.
Maybe stagger the scaling on Combat Superiority, like how Skirmish alternates between +1 AC and +1d6 damage.
Arms Knowledge should probably read "When crafting magic items in this way, he is considered capable of casting any required 1st level spell. At third level, and at each subsequent odd-numbered fighter level, he is considered capable of casting the next highest spell level-- 2nd level spells at third level, 3rd level spells at fifth level, and so on."
Improvise is...a bit worrying, from a time perspective if nothing else. I think the potentially-unlimited nature of your Repertoire may be enough.
9th is kind of late for Trapfinding
I don't know about True Seeing...
Cunning Logistician could probably be broken down into a few different abilities. As one of them, perhaps allow Aid Another as a move, and later a swift action?
Looking at Refocus... then looking back at Combat Focus... one could make the argument that in a situation like combat you gain your Focus again as soon as you expend it-- after all, you're still in a stressful and/or dangerous situation.
I really like Problem Solver. No, seriously, this is one of the coolest and most fitting homebrew class features I've ever seen.
Greater Combat Focus is cool, but... I'd move the immunity to Mind-Affecting to an earlier level. To compensate, perhaps steal the capstone from some of my own fixes and let them take 10 on attack rolls while focused?

On the whole, I really dig this. Having a spellbook-type set of bonus feats is a great way of handling the flexible-retraining aspect without requiring constant book diving. The rest of the class features are pretty snazzy, and have I mentioned how much I love Problem Solver?

EDIT: On the subject of out-of-combat stuff: 6+Int skills and a secondary Int focus help a lot, as do the Battlefield Assessment abilities. If it needs more, I'm always a fan of swiping/modifying Bardic Knowledge. Seems fitting for a long-suffering veteran. (Also tucked a few more comments into the list, if you read that before you saw this edit)

Empedocles
2013-03-11, 10:44 PM
Sorry to bring my own old, (frankly) much worse fighter fix to the table here. Thought it would help when I saw the tactics-strategies similarity, but apparently not. My mistake!

I agree with Grod that the Problem Solver ability is excellent.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-03-11, 10:58 PM
Sorry to bring my own old, (frankly) much worse fighter fix to the table here. Thought it would help when I saw the tactics-strategies similarity, but apparently not. My mistake!
It's the in same boat, sure, but one of you wanted a yacht, and the other wanted a submarine. For what it's worth, your class really wasn't terrible, and could be quite nice in the hands of an experienced player. Improve the skill list, change the Tactic refilling to per-encounter instead of per-day, and it would indeed be elegant, if not the simplest. Heck, steal Ziegander's Repertoire here and I would totally play the class.

Empedocles
2013-03-11, 11:03 PM
It's the in same boat, sure, but one of you wanted a yacht, and the other wanted a submarine. For what it's worth, your class really wasn't terrible, and could be quite nice in the hands of an experienced player. Improve the skill list, change the Tactic refilling to per-encounter instead of per-day, and it would indeed be elegant, if not the simplest. Heck, steal Ziegander's Repertoire here and I would totally play the class.

Haha no need to spare me. I made it a while ago anyways, without really researching earlier fighter fixes at all. The resources to make a decent one were there, I didn't use them. Actually, I might take another shot at it.

Ziegander
2013-03-11, 11:26 PM
Anyway, the Barbarian is the really classic "I just want to hit things" class.

Yes, now if only I could come up with a "Barbarian as Sorcerer" rewrite to go with this "Fighter as Wizard."

Anyway. Have you tried one of those dog shock collar things? :smalltongue:

:smallsmile:

I'd take UMD off the skill list. It's not really that fitting for a fighter, and I really dislike the way it turns any class into a wizard-lite. I might put Diplomacy in to compensate-- help all those knights and military commanders, and you already have a bunch of other social skills.

Yeeaah... I'll think about this. It's going to be really hard for me to see UMD go, but I may take it off yet. You have a valid concern, for sure.

The DC for learning new bonus feats is all kinds of silly. And by silly, I mean I can't tell what it's supposed to be. A table might be helpful here.

I have made some amends to the text. Hopefully I've made it more clear? :smalleek:

You might want to put some sort of limit on how many times you can stick Martial Study in your Repertoire/Improvisation. Or at least discuss the issue in a sidebar.

It would still follow the max. three limit, if one followed such rules. I may do a sidebar, as you suggest.

You might or might not want to think about what knowing potentially every fighter bonus feat means for PrC qualification.

Hmm... I think I'm perfectly alright with the Fighter potentially qualifying for ALL of the fighting-man PrCs.

Does Combat Focus apply in situations like climbing a tall cliff, of when there are time constraints?

In the interest of enabling more out-of-combat utility, yes, and I have explicitly made it clear in the ability description.

I'm a little uncertain about allowing all feats in a Strategy to be retrained with just a swift action starting at first level.

Me too now that you mention it, although the intention behind the ability was to allow the Fighter to adapt his tactics to the circumstances of combat every round. Plus, being a swift action competes with Combat Focus for actions, whereas a move action wouldn't. Hmm...

Combat Superiority is a little vague on what "superior positioning" means.

Well, in the actual combat rules, Flanking and Higher Ground are the only concrete examples of "superior positioning," so I wanted to leave it a little vague to allow DMs to grant the bonus in other situations if they wanted.

Maybe stagger the scaling on Combat Superiority, like how Skirmish alternates between +1 AC and +1d6 damage.[quote]

Well, that works for Skirmish because the AC and the damage are both triggered by the same thing, but the bonuses to Initiative and combat actions of Combat Superiority aren't triggered by battlefield position like the damage part of the ability.

[quote]Arms Knowledge should probably read "When crafting magic items in this way, he is considered capable of casting any required 1st level spell. At third level, and at each subsequent odd-numbered fighter level, he is considered capable of casting the next highest spell level-- 2nd level spells at third level, 3rd level spells at fifth level, and so on."

Yes, that is a much better way of wording it.

Improvise is...a bit worrying, from a time perspective if nothing else. I think the potentially-unlimited nature of your Repertoire may be enough.

A time perspective? Do you mean because it might take the Fighter a long time to choose a feat appropriate to the situation? Possibly, but I wanted something to represent the ability of fictional warriors to respond to new, unfamiliar threats with new, unfamiliar tactics. It's like Heroics, X/encounter.

9th is kind of late for Trapfinding

For a Rogue-type I would certainly agree, but not necessarily for a Fighter type.

I don't know about True Seeing...

Neither do I, truth be told, but at least it is effective as a placeholder. And he is 17th level, by then he should be able to tell illusion from reality. I dunno. I will think about it.

Cunning Logistician could probably be broken down into a few different abilities. As one of them, perhaps allow Aid Another as a move, and later a swift action?

Yes, possibly. I'd probably have to put the lesser versions at lower levels, but it's a good idea that I'll consider.

Looking at Refocus... then looking back at Combat Focus... one could make the argument that in a situation like combat you gain your Focus again as soon as you expend it-- after all, you're still in a stressful and/or dangerous situation.

I've reworded the ability so that it's only gained at the beginning of such an encounter. So now Refocus actually does something meaningful.

I really like Problem Solver. No, seriously, this is one of the coolest and most fitting homebrew class features I've ever seen.

It's also unapologetically powerful. But yeah, it's certainly one of my favorite pieces of rules mechanics that I've written to date.

Greater Combat Focus is cool, but... I'd move the immunity to Mind-Affecting to an earlier level. To compensate, perhaps steal the capstone from some of my own fixes and let them take 10 on attack rolls while focused?

I don't know, I feel like it's a pretty solid capstone already. I tend to make a lot of my Fighter rewrites unnecessarily powerful, so I don't want to go crazy with this capstone.

On the whole, I really dig this. Having a spellbook-type set of bonus feats is a great way of handling the flexible-retraining aspect without requiring constant book diving. The rest of the class features are pretty snazzy, and have I mentioned how much I love Problem Solver?

Imagine a high-level Fighter who, combining Cunning Logistician and Problem Solver, readies three contingent actions, each one using Aid Another to grant an ally a separate Fighter feat customized to the BBEG fight, set to go off as soon as initiative is rolled against the BBEG. Then, he forms his Strategy, selecting feats that he has specifically learned for use against the BBEG. It's a great, "Okay, people! This is what we've trained for! Avengers assemble!" sort of imagery. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks a lot for the critique!

unbeliever536
2013-03-19, 10:20 PM
Combat Focus and Greater Combat Focus don't seem to do much, to me. You get to reroll something (once per encounter, until highish levels), and as a capstone you get a few extra actions over the course of the encounter. There's also no benefit to keeping your focus other than "didn't use it on that less critical thing". This is a problem I have with psionic focus as well (a comparison which immediately jumps to mind). While you're focused, there should be some benefit besides a one shot ability.

Ziegander
2013-03-19, 11:26 PM
Combat Focus and Greater Combat Focus don't seem to do much, to me. You get to reroll something (once per encounter, until highish levels), and as a capstone you get a few extra actions over the course of the encounter. There's also no benefit to keeping your focus other than "didn't use it on that less critical thing". This is a problem I have with psionic focus as well (a comparison which immediately jumps to mind). While you're focused, there should be some benefit besides a one shot ability.

It may not seem like much because it is a very meta-ability, but, trust me, one re-roll per encounter is already really good. Multiple re-rolls per encounter is pretty stellar. Multiple "auto-succeeds" per encounter is borderline overpowered. Remember that Combat Focus can actually be used out of combat. Also, at 20th level, you are Immune to all Mind-Affecting abilities while you maintain your focus.

Just to Browse
2013-03-20, 01:54 AM
In line with the above post, the "(at least not until later levels)" part of combat focus seems a little... weird... because level 20 is literally the only time the fighter uses combat focus for something other than the re-rolls. I know this is pulled right out of the warlord/tome fighter/oneofyourother13fighterfixes, but those guys usually had more to do with combat focus. That's just a nuance, though.

My big beef with this is that the fighter can't get many good fighter feats with his repertoire, because he has no way of qualifying for them. He needs to get all the prerequisites with regular feats, and doesn't get any way of circumventing feat prerequisites. This means he repertoire is mostly dodge, weapon focus (everything), die hard, parry, etc., but nothing useful like the tactical feats or knock back, plow through, etc.

EDIT: Or is it that only the three starting feats can't qualify for each other, but other repertoire feats can?

Ziegander
2013-03-20, 08:22 PM
EDIT: Or is it that only the three starting feats can't qualify for each other, but other repertoire feats can?

Yes, that's right. I wasn't sure about adding in a sentence clarifying that, because in my head it always sounded really awkward. I'll see what I can do to make that clearer.