PDA

View Full Version : a less powerfull vampire... LA advice? [3.5]

Calak Jivan
2013-03-14, 02:51 AM
So basically, i have a DM who does not like LA and has a few rules in his game.
most are common sense like 'must speak common' and 'can breath air'
one of said rules he mentioned was 'must be able to exist in the sun'
i would like to play a vampire possibly at a later date in the campaign or in his
next one... but that rule would kill my hopes fast, he suggested i modify the vamp template to be less powerful [less LA] and one that can tolerate the sun
and no i'm not going twilight, there will still be penalties.

i want input as to what you guys think the LA should be on this template,
any changes you think should be made and why.

thanks in advance :D

Vampire
Size and Type
The creature’s type changes to undead (augmented humanoid or monstrous humanoid). Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

darkvision
gains dark vision out to 120ft

Hit Dice
Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Special Attacks
A vampire retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains those described below.
Saves have a DC of 10 + ½ vampire’s HD + vampire’s Cha modifier unless noted otherwise.

-Blood Drain (Ex)
A vampire can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check.
If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack,
the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points

-Charming gaze (Su)
A vampire can crush an opponent’s will just by looking onto his or her eyes.
Anyone the vampire targets must succeed on a Will save or fall instantly under the vampire’s influence as though by a charm person spell (caster level 12th).
The ability has a range of 30 feet.

Special Qualities
A vampire retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains those described below.

-Alternate Form (Su)
A vampire can assume the shape of a bat or wolf as a standard action. While in its alternate form, the vampire loses its natural slam attack and dominate ability,
but it gains the natural weapons and extraordinary special attacks of its new form. It can remain in that form until it assumes another or until the next sunrise.
(If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might allow other forms.)

-Fast Healing (Ex)
A vampire heals 5 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. if it is reduced below 0 hit points it is not destroyed. it regenerates 1HP every hour until it has 1hp. at which fast healing resumes.

-Spider Climb (Ex)
A vampire can climb sheer surfaces as though with a spider climb spell.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +6, Cha +2.

Skills
Vampires have a +8 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.

Feats
Vampires gain Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative,

Repelling a Vampire
Vampires cannot tolerate the strong odor of garlic and will not enter an area laced with it. Similarly, they recoil from a mirror or a strongly presented holy symbol.
These things don’t harm the vampire—they merely keep it at bay.
A recoiling vampire must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding the mirror or holy symbol and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter.
Holding a vampire at bay takes a standard action.
certain attacks can slay vampires. Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: it takes a -4 to all saves and skill checks.

if a vampire is restricted by a silver item [bound in silver chains or manicles] it looses all powers and takes a -2 to all physical stats, the effect is reversed apon removal of the silver item

Slaying a Vampire
Reducing a vampire’s hit points to 0 or lower incapacitates it but doesn’t always destroy it (see the note on fast healing).
However, Driving a wooden stake through a vampire’s heart instantly slays the monster.However, it returns to life if the stake is removed,
unless the body is destroyed. A popular tactic is to cut off the creature’s head and fill its mouth with holy wafers (or their equivalent)
if you reduce a vampire's hp to below 0 and burn its body it is also killed.

EDIT: fixed words.