PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help and answers

The Redwolf
2013-03-18, 04:27 PM
Hello all! So, I have a couple of ideas that I really want to work on, but I've only been playing D&D/Pathfinder for a couple years now. There are two things that I'd like to try and build, and was wondering if some people might want to give me a bit of assistance with them either on here or through email or PM or something. I'm fairly busy lately, so it may be a while between responses at times, but I'd appreciate any help. Also, I see PEACH all over the place here, but I don't know what it means, so that'd be cool to know.

Anyway, here are my two ideas. The first one actually goes along with a race I built using the Advanced Race Guide for Pathfinder, and it would be called the Brood. Basically, I'm trying to make a class that would recreate the abilities of Ryu from Breath of Fire III, where he was able to get different 'genes' that had dragon powers in them and combine them for different effects and appearances. They'd be able to get more genes as they level up and combine them, as well as having some spell like abilities and whatnot. I have a few ideas for how to go about it, but as far as specifics for some of the progressions and whatnot I'm not sure where I should go.

The second one is something I came up with just randomly one day and thought it would be particularly fun called the Darksoul. It's a class that could be played by any race and any non-neutral alignment (must be good or evil, could still be neutral good or evil), and it actually would play differently for good and evil characters. The premise is that there's some sort of dark spirit, like a demon say, trapped in part of the person's soul, and they can actually use its powers, along with a risk of losing control. Evil characters would have the motivation of taking control over the power, good characters want to restrain it, that sort of thing. How it would actually work is you can use abilities from the class to get shadowy weapons or natural weapons, armor, spell-like abilities, that sort of thing, but the more you use and the stronger ones you use make an increasing will save DC.

If a good character were to fail the DC they'd lose control and start berserking while activating more powers, with a will save each turn to take control back, or just having to wait it out. An evil character that fails a save actually loses the power altogether and must make will saves as a standard action to match the one they originally failed before they can use it again. That way, either alignment basically has the thing they fear most happen if the spirit takes control. I figure it should mostly be a melee sort of class and they get the ability to manifest shadowy weapons and stuff, make shadowy armor, as I said some SLA's maybe, that sort of thing.

So again, if anyone wants to help just let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-03-18, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of homebrew!

PEACH: Please evaluate and critique honestly.

The Brood: Sounds a bit complicated. Can you give some examples of how such a character would work? I can think if a number of ways to do similar things. Happy to help you figure out what direction you want to take it and how to make that work.

Demon Class: I think Lord_Gareth's Harrowed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118467) might fit what you want almost perfectly, or at least provide inspiration.

That said, consider me available for tips, critique, and so forth. I've been doing this a long time, and am always up for helping out new (or experienced...I'll help anyone :smalltongue:) brewers!

The Redwolf
2013-03-18, 08:16 PM
Wow, that Harrowed is quite similar to what I was thinking, not exactly the same, but you're right, it gives me a really nice framework to build off of.

As for the Brood, my main thought was that basically they have a list of genes they can get and when they level up they can pick from more of them, like spells. They'd probably have constitution as their main ability score, which will be what they key their abilities and all that off of. I was figuring at lower levels when they use genes it'd change what they look like just as alter self or something similar, and eventually when they get to higher levels they get Form of the Dragon a number of times based off of con mod. They can use genes in conjunction with Form of the Dragon and get the appropriate bonuses. The main thing is just going to be integrating the system for the genes, because there's a set list of them from the game and they all do specific things, but you can combine them together up to three at a time, and different combinations can have really different and interesting results.

I'd say the main things I'd need help with would be converting the genes' abilities from the game to D&D/Pathfinder, adapting the way certain ones interact, figuring out how they change the character i.e. what spell they emulate for appearance changes and whatnot, and then the basic stuff like how many rounds/uses per day of different abilities would they have.

My thoughts so far are have uses per day of genes be keyed off of con mod with duration based off either con mod or level, but I feel like certain genes would need to burn up more usage per day than others. I was figuring that maybe to that end they could be broken up into tiers, kind of like spellcasters and spell levels, and then after you hit a certain level you can pick from higher tiers. Actually, that's more like warlocks or DFA's, but still, yeah. And then like I said, I figure Form of the Dragon as an SLA at higher levels, and since there are three levels of it it just overwrites itself at certain intervals, and then probably the dragon breath spell as an SLA, forget what it's called right now. I'm planning on building it with Pathfinder material, but it shouldn't be hard to put in a thing for how to use it in 3.5, there should be easily analogous spells.

Does that clear it up some? Also, here's a couple links to the genes for reference.
http://bof.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Breath_of_Fire_III_Dragon_Genes
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/196817-breath-of-fire-iii/faqs/3736

The Redwolf
2013-03-21, 02:43 PM
Alright, I think I've waited long enough for a shameless bump. Seeing that Harrowed class gives me pretty much all I need for the Blacksoul, but I figured I'll still see if anyone else wants to help with the Brood in addition to Djinn_in_Tonic.