PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Shield ala WoW

Varnithis
2006-11-15, 08:43 PM
Blessing of Protection

Starting at level 3, as a free action once per day, the Paladin may call upon divine protection from his diety to render himself entirly invulnerable to all damage and negative effects for one round. This also instantly frees the paladin from any movement imparing effects and ends all damage over time effects such as combustion or Melf's Acid Arrow. However, he may not make a full attack while protected. At the 12th level, Blessing of Protection last two round.

Anyone who has played WCIII or WoW knows what Blessing of Protection is, and it is a "Second Life" in those games (and argueably overpowered).

This is my attempt to translate it to DnD... however I imagine it is probably over the top. Still, I think it fits Paladins well.

hyenahyena
2006-11-15, 11:10 PM
well, that sounds pretty reasonable, but just giving the class an ability without taking something away is tilting slightly towards unbalanced.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sanctuary.htm

low level cleric spell called sanctuary. I vote, when paladins would normally get 'turn undead' they instead get the spell santurary (spell level half their paladin level) for as many times a day as they have charisma bonus.

This is a pretty easy way to do it, as the spell sanctuary already exists and you're swapping out a previous class feature for it. I dont see how it would be too unbalanced : )

XtheYeti
2006-11-16, 12:55 PM
low level cleric spell called sanctuary. I vote, when paladins would normally get 'turn undead' they instead get the spell santurary (spell level half their paladin level) for as many times a day as they have charisma bonus.

This is a pretty easy way to do it, as the spell sanctuary already exists and you're swapping out a previous class feature for it. I dont see how it would be too unbalanced : )
I think that this is the best way to do it as well, although maybe make the save alot harder to make, like make it DC15+all that jazz, or even DC20

Pegasos989
2006-11-16, 03:36 PM
Instead of getting aura of courage, palading gets sanctuary as spell-like ability and usable cha mod (minium 1) times a day, with a save DC of 10 +half the paladin levels + cha mod?

Khantalas
2006-11-16, 03:38 PM
Blessing of Protection

Starting at level 3, as a free action once per day, the Paladin may call upon divine protection from his diety to render himself entirly invulnerable to all damage and negative effects for one round. This also instantly frees the paladin from any movement imparing effects and ends all damage over time effects such as combustion or Melf's Acid Arrow. However, he may not make a full attack while protected. At the 12th level, Blessing of Protection last two round.

Anyone who has played WCIII or WoW knows what Blessing of Protection is, and it is a "Second Life" in those games (and argueably overpowered).

This is my attempt to translate it to DnD... however I imagine it is probably over the top. Still, I think it fits Paladins well.

Only one round? And no full attack? Tell that to Uther who repeatedly kicked my ass.

KIDS
2006-11-16, 03:41 PM
The ability isn't overpowered, but the level at which you gain it is. It should be moved to lvl 10 and improved at lvl 16, else it gives just more incetive to dip into pally and go with some other class after that.

Serakus_DeSardis
2006-11-16, 08:31 PM
I absolutely refuse to allow Bubble into my game.

Serakus - Rogue Class Leader
Pyrrhic Guild - Agamaggan
(BWL/TAQ currently weee)

lsfreak
2006-11-17, 01:24 AM
Well, we're not asking you to let it in. Plus, D&D pallies can actually kill stuff without the prereq of having one of the most powerful weapons in the game :P
Probably too early in the level progression, but level 10 seems a bit late for something only usable once per day. If it could be balanced with a loss of something else, perhaps 1/day 1 round followed by 2/day 1 round, and then 2/day 2 round at, say, 6/12/18? Alternatively, 1/day 1 round at level 6 and 1/day 2 round at level 16(??) with a much more minor adjustment.
One way to balance it might be, instead of altering class feature, something similar to the debuff pallies get after casting it... because of the surge of divine energy, he is somehow (indirectly) harmed - maybe something of magic being drawn to the divine power, giving him a penaltry to saving throws against spells or enemies smal bonuses to damage?

Pally bubble isn't overpowered when I burned all their mana beforehand ;)
Vokzhen, Spriest on break for TBC :D