PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Homebrew System

Belteshazzar
2006-11-15, 09:35 PM
I have not played DnD long, but I have known of it for a long time. Upon playing my first few games and reading a few books I realize that one of the most difficult things to get used to is the multitude of Classes and PrCs specifically tailored to appeal to a specific audience (examples:monks, samurai, ninja, psionics, pirates, druids etc....) I ,being the geek I am, try to slog through the possible combinations in order to create the best characters. Yet, I feel as though it could all be made much simpler and more balanced and easier to understand (I want to introduce some of my friends to DnD but they lack the time, knowledge, or ability to create their perfect character) without sacrificing flavor. I propose a system made up of only six classes. Fighter, Rogue, Bard, Wizard, and Sorcerer/Psion. Each class will gain a feat at every level. However their would be more feats (with more prerequisites) to chose from (many of which would mimic the abilities of eliminated classes) in order to customize the character.

The Rogue would be the least changed class being as it is mainly a skillmonkey anyway. For all of those who think that rangers would be such a great loss I would remind you that simply investing skill points into the right places and taking the right feats would get you the same result: a self sufficient man of nature.

Wizards would perhaps be the least changed except that I would not give them a familiar unless they expended a feat on it. Metamagic may become a problem if it is abused but wizards have always been overpowered.

I want to make Cleric's domains more important in order to make for more variation on what is otherwise a walking first aid kit. Druids would be incorporated back into clerics as clerics with natural domains and an affinity for animals.

All Fighters I think should benefit from both the Barbarian's rage and some of the monk's speed. This along with gaining a feat at every level and a larger hit dice may help bring them up to speed. Monks would simply be Fighters who concentrated on the unarmed side of combat. Paladins could be cross class cleric/fighters or perhaps take a few strict feats to mimic lay on hands, turning, or knightly powers.

Bards would loss their mostly worthless spellcasting but would have improved bardic song with many more uses. Feats could be implemented to let bards expend a use of song to imitate any number of powerful attacks.

Psionics would become the new sorcery with a d6 hit dice, feats for wilder abilities, and the power progression of a psion. Psionic Warrior exclusive powers would be become part of a new discipline of psionics and power manifestation could be charisma based

What do you think? Any Helpful Suggestions?

Squatting_Monk
2006-11-15, 09:53 PM
Honestly, I think you're making it too complex. If you wanna simplify it, just don't use every available class or PrC availiable. The basic 11 work just fine at approximating any character concept (and you can throw in Psion if you feel the need). But if you put all the existing things into a handful of classes, they have to be needlessly complex to give flexibility. For example, you said about giving a feat every level, which would mean more feats would be available. Doesn't that just add another layer of complexity to the system?

If the flavor is good and the mechanics reflect it well, do you really need to revise the system? As it currently is (including all the extra classes and prestige classes), the system offers a lot of flexibility. However, it's not really very complex, since players will focus on the aspects (including classes, feats, etc.) that impact their characters the most.

My advice: if you do wanna simplify the system, don't jumble it all together. Just cut some things out entirely that won't hurt the flavor.

averagejoe
2006-11-15, 10:35 PM
I pretty much agree. Just don't allow anything that isn't in the core rulebooks if you want to go simpler.

Khantalas
2006-11-16, 03:46 AM
Or better yet, use only three classes. Adept, Warrior and Expert (Yes, the NPC classes, not the UA ones).

They are so simple that you can't mess with them, and it makes for a truly scary campaign when your players don't have all those shiny class features to help them defeat the demon.

NOTE: To introduce an all-new party of players to the game, use the generic classes. Do not mess with what works that greatly.

BlueWizard
2006-11-16, 07:40 AM
Let people just make cool backgrounds with the standard core stuff, then the rest is fun and role-play!

pestilenceawaits
2006-11-16, 03:23 PM
I tend to agree with what has been said by previous posters. Just stick with the core books for simplicity they are all basically available for free online and it is easier than trying to change things then remembering what you changed and then explaining the differences if you ever move into the full game. I have found most people (even my wife) pick it up in just a few sessions.