PDA

View Full Version : Casting while drunk

Grey Knight
2006-11-16, 12:02 PM
Well, I'll ask if nobody else does. Casting while drunk! OOTS #377 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0377.html) gives a good example of what happens for teleporting. What about other spells? Some variant on wild magic surging?

And I think someone mentioned a Drunken Casting feat in the discussion thread.

XtheYeti
2006-11-16, 12:33 PM
You have to make a consintration check to not F up and blow your self to the nether realm

BlueWizard
2006-11-16, 01:24 PM
Concentration check reduced?

Triaxx
2006-11-16, 03:02 PM
My preference is to a house rule that Intoxicated is treated as if the caster were wearing heavy armor. Since our characters celebrate a lot, the DM got tired of continually rolling Concentration checks.

Telonius
2006-11-16, 03:07 PM
:elan:: So if I get drunk, it's like I have more armor?

:roy: : Oh gods, please. No.

lsfreak
2006-11-17, 01:35 AM
I would say (provided you don't have the problem of consistently drunk characters :P ) set up a d% system, with various effects ranging from successful casting, to misjudging the target or bad aiming, to fizzling, to harming the caster more than the booze has, to "Bigby's Grasping Hand does not fondle the barmaid, but her head does pop off." Largest chance probably fizzle or misaim.
86-100 - Successful casting
46-85 - Misaiming casting - something similar to the roll for grenade weapons, fail on target of self
26-45 - Fail/fizzle
21-25 - Spell has stronger-than-normal effects
16-20 - Spell has weaker-than-normal effects
8-15 - Spell effects wrong target - fireball blows up caster's hand, etc.
2-7 - Spell has wrong effects - think OotS Misspelling series
1 - Oops. BIG OOPS.

woc33
2006-11-17, 03:52 PM
i remember reading a book that has rules about getting drunk and actions while being drunk, though i can't remember what book it was.

TheOOB
2006-11-17, 03:55 PM
I just treat alchohol as poison that deals mental ability score damage. some weak booze might do 1 int, wis, and cha damage primary and secondary with a DC 10 fort save to resist, and more powerful alchohol will do more damage with higher saves.

The alchohol itself doesn't stop spellcasting, but your lower mental ability scores just might.

Fax Celestis
2006-11-17, 04:03 PM
I just treat alchohol as poison that deals mental ability score damage. some weak booze might do 1 int, wis, and cha damage primary and secondary with a DC 10 fort save to resist, and more powerful alchohol will do more damage with higher saves.

The alchohol itself doesn't stop spellcasting, but your lower mental ability scores just might.

But booze raises your charisma!

...wait, no, it raises everyone else's charisma.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-17, 04:16 PM
Dipsomancer! Unfortunately, the link in the compendium no longer works. :frown:

Never mind, Googled it. Should work. Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11672)

Fax Celestis
2006-11-17, 04:36 PM
Google, the Bringer of Knowledge!

...amusingly, in a friend's homemade pantheon, Google is a deity and is the Bringer of Knowledge. There are similar amusing deities: Hypotomoose, god of mathematics; Einwin, god of physics and natural selection; H'Graa, god of wrath; Atheisticus, god of nonbelievers; and Senor Mysterioso, god of parking fortune are all in the pantheon in question.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-17, 04:38 PM
:biggrin:

Wonder why Jackmann didn't just try googling the broken links.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-11-17, 07:08 PM
For simplicity's sake I might suggest that casting while drunk requires a Concentration check of some sort, and failure would add whatever bits of the Wild Mage PrC to the caster's spell that the DM found amusing.

Xerillum
2006-11-18, 10:09 AM
I'd just say DM's choice. I remember DMing a campaign, with a dwarf wizard, a paladin, and a cleric, and the dwarf liked to drink. A LOT. So, he was in the middle of the marching order, and he tried to cast mage hand. Whoops! it failed, and instead touched the paladin's (who was a female) butt. that was very funny until the person who was playing the dwarf found my plastic beating stick. Ow.

Triaxx
2006-11-18, 03:29 PM
That had to be a priceless moment. I recall something similar involving a drunken druid, an entangle spell, and an ogre.