PDA

View Full Version : Lady of the Fallen [creature]

Thistle
2006-11-16, 08:18 PM
Opinions and comments, please.

Thienan regained consciousness slowly. He was having trouble focusing, having lost a lot of blood. The spider had dragged him off before his companions could react and it wasn’t likely they would find him any time soon or if Stev had a say they never would. All hope was likely gone and he was to be abandoned here to rot.
Then he felt a cool hand caress his forehead. “Shhh... Don’t trouble yourself with such thoughts.” Cooed a soft voice. “You won’t die alone.”

Lady of the Fallen
Medium Outsider (Angel, Native, Good)
HD 14d8+98 (161 HP)
Speed 40 ft. (6 squares)
Init +9
AC 37 (+5 Dex, +20 Natural, +2 Divine); touch 17; flat-footed 32 (+4 deflection vs attacks made by evil creatures)
BAB +14; Grp +19
Attack +3 Merciful Holy Scythe +22 (2d4+10, 19-20/x4, +1d6nonlethal +2d6 vs evil) or Slam +19 (1d8+7)
Full-Attack +3 Merciful Holy Scythe +22/+17/+12 (2d4+10, 19-20/x4, +1d6nonlethal +2d6 vs evil) or Slam +19 (1d8+7)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft
Special Attacks Spell-like Abilities, Sooth the Dead
Special Qualities Damage reduction 15/evil, Darkvision 60ft, Lowlight vision, Immunity to acid, cold and petrifaction, Resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10, Protective aura, Tongues, Spell resistance 30, Shunned by the Living, Sooth the Dying
Saves Fort +16 (+20 vs poison) Ref +14 Will +16
Abilities Str 20, Dex 21, Con 24, Int 19, Wis 24, Cha 25
Skills +Concentration 24, Escape Artist 22, Hide 22, Knowledge (architecture) 21, Knowledge (history) 21, Knowledge (religeon) 21, Knowledge (the planes) 21, Listen 24, Move Silently 22, Search 21, Sense Motive 24, Spot 24
Feats Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm, Improved Critical (Scythe), Improved Initiative
Environment Any
Organization Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating 15?
Treasure No coins, double goods, standard items
Alignment Neutral good
Advancement -
Level Adjustment –

A graceful woman walks through the battle field. Though her stature and beauty clearly mark her from a higher existence, you can’t help but notice the melancholy in her eyes and the blood stains on her white dress.

Once of high prestige in the courts on high the Lady of the Fallen fought evils and exalted souls as few have. Leading an offense against the abyss she was captured by an archdevil. Most are unsure how she convinced him but the devil agreed to release her in exchange for two things: a binding oath to only help those who are already dead, and her wings. She now wanders the material plane helping where she can. She may comfort those who are about to pass away. Often times it is simply providing a proper burial and more rarely to prevent those who would desecrate the dead.

Combat

The Lady rarely enters combat. There are few situations that she can. Most times she stands invisibly. But if she sees an act of desecration against the bodies of those who have died, whether for a demonic ritual or just perverse pleasure, she is free to act.

Shunned by the Living (Ex): The Lady of the Fallen can only be seen by those how are close to death. This includes undead, creatures between 0 to -9 hp and creatures under the effect of the deathwatch spell. Creatures that make a Fort save for a death effect or death by massive damage or who have cast a spell from the necromancy school can see her for one round afterwards.

Sooth the Dying (Ex) Every dying creature within 100 ft of the Lady of the Fallen has a 10% increase of stabilizing or becoming conscious. Every creature also receives a +2 on saves against poisons, diseases, and death effects.

Sooth the Dead (Su) Any intelligent undead that come within 20ft of the Lady of the Fallen must make a Will save (DC 24) or be destroyed as the spirit is released to the afterlife. A new save must be made every minute. The DC is Cha based. In addition no undead may be raised/spawned anywhere the Lady of the Fallen has been, out to 100ft, for one day after she has left.

Spell-Like Abilities: at will – Continual Flame, Detect Thoughts, Hide from Undead, Remove Fear, Calm Emotions, Consecrate, Gentle Repose, Speak with Dead 3/day Move Earth 1/day Hallow
Caster level 14. The DCs are Cha based

Lucid_Archon
2006-11-17, 01:18 AM
This creature is quite interesting. It seems a bit weak for a CR of 15, though. It has almost no offensive abilities. If a party can manage to see her, she will get ripped apart. Shunned by the living is a bit strange as well. I would expect true seeing to penetrate it. Lastly, I would be very grateful if you could state the type of abilities it possesses (Ex, Su, Sp)

Thistle
2006-11-17, 02:18 AM
I put it at 15 for relatively high hp, AC and hard to penerate invisibility (unless they have a vampire in the group). She isn't meant to be overtly offensive by nature, but with disarming, tripping and use of combat expertise she will prove a pain to hit. And her attacks, while not leathal, still deal fairly high damage. I was thinking about adding sometype of regeneration or fast healing. Would balance it to the CR?
I left out true seeing for two major reasons. It is still through living eyes and (though obscure) deathwatch is a first level spell.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-11-17, 12:20 PM
Beautiful...

Love 'Shunned By the Living' in particular.

A bit of the crunch though needs some polishing.

HD 14d8+98 (163 HP)
Little off, should be 161 hp.

Skills +12x17
Eh?

Sooth the Dead (Su) Any intelligent undead that come within 20ft of the Lady of the Fallen must make a Will save (DC 24) or be destroyed as the spirit is released to the afterlife. A new save must be made every minute. In addition no undead may be raised/spawned anywhere the Lady of the Fallen has been, out to 100ft, for one day after she has left.
Though its obvious if you look at the stats, still need to add in that the save DC is Charisma-based.

Spell-Like Abilities: at will – Continual Flame, Detect Thoughts, Hide from Undead, Remove Fear, Calm Emotions, Consecrate, Gentle Repose, Speak with Dead 3/day Move Earth 1/day Hallow
Need to mention the Caster level and the Charisma-based again.

A CR 15 looks just right. She has as much offensive capability as most with that nice fat scythe attack.

XtheYeti
2006-11-17, 12:37 PM
This is a good creature, not exactly something i would throw at a evil party to try to stop them but still very good

Khantalas
2006-11-18, 05:04 PM
A merciful holy scythe?

This would work well against my gluttonous plague.

About Sooth the Dead... Why intelligent only? Don't skeletons and zombies suffer around the Lady? They are, after all, equally dead.

Flavorwise, she looks good. Balance-wise, who am I to know?

Thistle
2006-11-18, 07:12 PM
About Sooth the Dead... Why intelligent only? Don't skeletons and zombies suffer around the Lady? They are, after all, equally dead.

It depends on the campaign and how undead work. In the setting I made her for intellegent undead have their souls willingly of forcefully bond to undeath. Other undead are simply animated by negative energy.
That however is house rules. And besides, she could take out most normal unintelligent undead.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-11-20, 09:40 AM
i like her a lot. if you dont mind, i think i might steal her and use her in my campaign. however, i was wondering if there was a male equivelant of the lady of the fallen. i just thought some of my female adventuring companions would feel more "soothed" by a male than by a female angelic being.

vanyell
2006-11-20, 12:16 PM
I think that even for a female charcter, a soothing almost "mother" figure would work. I imagine these things just coming to see the people off, to help them accept death etc. so a female personification is quite acceptable no matter who is dying

Thistle
2006-11-20, 04:01 PM
i like her a lot. if you dont mind, i think i might steal her and use her in my campaign. however, i was wondering if there was a male equivelant of the lady of the fallen. i just thought some of my female adventuring companions would feel more "soothed" by a male than by a female angelic being.

Sure. Go ahead and use her. It's one of the best compliments I can recieve.

A male counterpart wouldn't have the same effect in my opinion and I agree with Vanyell that a female could offer the same if not more comfort to the dying no matter gender. But if you feel it would add to the gaming experince, feel free to change it. Switch the name to Lord/Knight/Champion of the Fallen or some such (though this implies more rulership and offensive ability than he would actually have).