PDA

View Full Version : [Homebrew System] Public Playtest Release for Archetype, a Storyteller system. [PEACH

Kherev
2013-03-30, 12:44 AM
http://www.10wallpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Nano-Schematic-InfraLapis-1366x768-HD-500x235.jpg

Welcome to my initial public offering (read: playtest document) of Archetype, a Scion/Exalted/WoD mechanical fusion that strives to put nigh-unlimited character customization in your hands. Character's powers and tools are built block by block, like a set of superpower legos.

Wanna play a your favorite comic character? Child's play.
Wanna play a ninja pirate robot? Add lasers for extra fun.
Wanna play a mad scientist? FOR SCIENCE!
Wanna play a fantasy character in a modern game? No problem.
Wanna play a steam-powered inventor in a fantasy game? Still no problem.
Wanna play a space opera with every character a unique race? I dare you.
Wanna play Batman? You're gonna need more xp.

However, Archetype *does* come pre-packaged with a core setting. The short version is that after WW2, superhumans began cropping up in various places. This trend continued through the Cold War, when most major powers began to recruit them for secret units of supersoldiers.

After the Cold War, in the late 90s, this clandestine cloak-and-eye-lazer activity gave way to more public institutions, such as the United State's Vanguard organization, which is responsible for the location, education, and, if necessary, containment of all unnatural entities within the borders of the US. Every other major nation has a similar organization, from Canada's Foundation to Britain's MI13, to Russia's Special Operations Service, to the underfunded and overworked Indian Directorate of Special Sciences.

Archetype is a game almost two years in the making, written in my spare time and with no intention of monetary gain. My group has finished its first playtest, which went (I think) suprisingly well.

So, with a not inconsiderable amount of trepidation, I offer this edifice of blood, sweat, and gallons of black coffee to the denizens of the Playground, to read, review, critique, and perhaps even enjoy.

I ask nothing in return, save that if you run the game, you tell me how it went :) There's a link to my email address on the second page, and the character sheet is in the back of the book.

It is still, very much, a work in progress, so be kind :P

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?djckj010x3ga0jj (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?djckj010x3ga0jj)

The book is a little over 200 pages and around 2MB.

Kherev
2013-04-01, 04:45 PM
Reserved for Updates.

4/4/13
The text on page 1 under Core Setting Fluff should read, "There is currently slightly fewer than 1 superhuman per 10,000 natural human beings in the world..." (It will be corrected in the next playtest push, but publishing an update for a misplaced 0 would be a bit silly.)

Kherev
2013-04-01, 04:46 PM
Reserved for FAQ

horus42
2013-04-01, 05:02 PM
As someone who loves the Storyteller system, I'll definitely be giving this a look. I'll let you know what I think once I've actually read it, but so far I think the idea has a lot of potential.

Kherev
2013-04-01, 05:18 PM
Thanks :) I'm really looking forward to a large number of players, and especially playgrounders, getting under the hood and seeing how much stress the system can handle :P

Kherev
2013-04-13, 12:00 PM
For the interested, Archetype core setting fluff is finally in the works, as well as a complete document for the "Seeds of Light" setting, or as we like to call it at my table, ARCHETYPE, IN SPACE!!

Kherev
2013-04-29, 11:53 PM
Good news, everyone!
Since my previous readers were eaten by Hirkaynian Blood Flies, I've decided to post a new playtest update for Archetype!

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?i7ic75w8r55g6wg

In related news, after some deliberation and discussion with my co-conspirators, it turns out the text on page 1 will not be considered a misprint. Archetype fluff will assume that there is currently 1 superhuman for each 100,000 natural humans, or about 70,000 superhumans worldwide. These individuals generally congregate in large cities, bringing locations like L.A., New York, Houston, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Shanghai, Beijing, Sydney, etc in line with the numbers described in my previous post. (Well, maybe not Shanghai :P)

The relevant updates to the playtest include a section describing bonus successes under the bonuses and penalties heading on page 50, and how they interact with a character's maximum dice pool. Several Effects have been altered to provide bonus successes rather than permanent dots of an Attribute or Ability. This decision was ultimately made to reduce dice bloat at the table, and to bring the system's math a little more in line.

In other news, (but still a bit related) Archetype has around 150 downloads. I'm still eager to get any feedback from readers or players, and I'm always available through Gmail or Gtalk. Cheers!