PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 M:tG fluff inspired magic items

Boci
2013-03-30, 09:05 AM
Okay, so I'm getting ready for what will hopefully be a fairly extensive homebrewing task of converted the Ravnica lore from Magic: The Gathering into a D&D setting, but I remebered I haven't actually gotten much independant feedback on my homebrewing skills in a while, so this is me flexing homebrewing in preparations for the marathon. Please tell me what you think of these magical items in reguards to:

1. Usefulness (How useful are they indevidually, and are they roughly of equal power)
2. Creativity (How fun would they be to use)
3. A weakness of mine: pricing. How much should they cost? I want each to be the same, so I rather adjust weak/strong ones than give them a different price.

Some of the items reference mechanics that I haven't quite nailed down yet, but i have tried my best to get as much relevant info across as possible. There are 4 more of these charms on their way, and then I will either work on the guild key runes or begin the actual setting, depedning on how I feel.

Rakdos Charm – A spiked metal amulet of dented iron in the shape of a demonic head.

Slot: Throat. Moderate evocation (DC: 20), CL: 10.

Special: As a full round action, the Rakdos charm can be melded with a weapon becoming a glowing seal in the shape of the Rakdos guild mark, thus becoming a slotless item. When melded, it can only be activated in the round in which the weapon deals damage. Once melded the charm cannot be separated from the weapon until 24 hours have passed.

Activation: Verbal (Yell “RAKDOS!”), swift action, 1/day.

Effect: Pick one -
1. Target creature within 10ft subtracts 4 from their CL and 2 from their DC of all necromantic spells and SLA they cast for 5 rounds. No attack roll, no save.
2. Target a single magical item with in 30ft with dispel magic, suppress for 5 rounds on success.
3. Target creature within 60ft takes 2d6 fire damage for each ally within 15ft. Reflex save (DC: 20) halves the damage.

Unleash: A member of the Cult of Rakdos who has at least 3 victory scars and has melded the charm to his weapon may choose to provoke an attack of opportunity when activating this magical item. If they do, they take a -4 penalty to AC and deal an extra 10 points of damage with melee attacks until the end of their next turn.

Golgari Charm – A rectangular piece of red wood bark with jagged edges with the golgari guild mark carved into it.

Slot: Throat. Moderate necromancer (DC: 20), CL: 10.

Special: A Golgari Charm can be used to draw blood from a willing creatures tongue, dealing 1 point of damage. As long as the charm is stained with the creature’s blood and carried on their person, they may activate its abilities as an immediate action with a mental command (by thinking the phrase "Save me Swarm"), but can choose only himself as a target when given the option.

Activation: Manipulation (lay a finger on the charm), swift action, 1/day.

Effect: Pick one –
1. All creatures within 30ft (including the wearer) take a -4 penalty to strength and constitution the end of the wearer’s turn.
2. Target creature within with dispel magic.
3. Target creature heals 25 hit points at the start of their next turn.

Scavenge: A member of the Golgari Swarm who has attained the rank of at least Decay Forger or Hive Scout who has bled onto his Golgari Charm and is currently benefiting from scavenged armour may end this effect to attempt a character level check vs. 21 when they activate the charm. If they beat it, the charm may be used again on the same day, but it is considered unbled.
Note: Scavenge is an ability of the Golgari gained through ACF and feats unique to them that allows them to gain the benefit of totemist’s soulmelds by harvesting the corpse of a dead creature.

Dimir Charm – A clay coin, with a variety of potential symbols on it, but never the Dimir guild mark.

Slot: Varies between Neck, Arms and Feet. Moderate necromancer (DC: 20), CL: 10.

Special: The wearer of the charm can choose to hide its magic. If they do, the item’s caster level drops to 5 and any saves against any affect of the item get a +4 bonus, but any attempts to detect it as a magical item fail unless the caster succeeds a DC: 30 caster level check.

Activation: Mental (think the phrase “Deadly Secrets”), immediate action, 1/day.

Effect: Pick 1:
1. Counter a spell of 3rd level or lower within close range.
2. Creature within 30ft with 5 or less hitdice takes 8 points of constitution damage. A successful fortitude save reduces this to 2 point.
3. Target within 60ft targeted by a ranged touch attack (+10 to hit). On a hit, they gain 1d2 negative energy levels.

Contingency: An agent of Dimir House who has attained the ranks of at least Stealer of Secrets who has hidden the magic of their charm who activates a contingency affect may also activate the charm with the same action. The agent need not have cast the contingency affect, they need only be the ones to activate it.
Note: Dimir gain access to several lesser contingency spells before the actual 6th level version.

Orzhov Charm – A blue steel tiara set with a disk bearing the guild mark.

Slot: Head. Moderate adjuration (DC: 20), CL: 10.

Special: The wearer of this item can choose to evoke the faint essence of ghost council that inhabit all items of the Church of Orzhov. This lasts for a 24 hours, and grants the wearer a +2 competence bonus on appraisal, diplomacy and sense motive checks. However, just before it is activated, the wearer must make a DC: 20 diplomacy check or the item cannot be activated for that day.

Activation: Verbal, (softly speak “Praise the Council”), swift action, 1/day.

Effect: Pick 1 –
1. Suppress a spell on a willing creature for 1 round. Whilst it is suppressed it cannot be dispelled, and does not end under the usual conditions, so a creature with a suppressed sanctuary spell may freely attack with level methods for 1 round and then proceed to enjoy the benefit of the spell.
2. Target creature within 10ft is dazed for 2 rounds or staggered for 1 round with a successful will save. The wearer is staggered for 1 round.
3. Regain a spell of 3nd level or lower. This can be a prepared spell that was cast, a spell slot or the ability of such a spell emulated by a different magical item in your possession (DMs discretion may be required if the item does not replicate the spell exactly).

Extortion: If a member of the Church of Orzhov who has attained the rank of Merchant Priest or higher and extorts with the activation of this charm can choose to gain the benefit of evoking the ghost council (+2 to appraisal, diplomacy and sense motive) for the rest of the day, by succeeding on a character level check DC: 21. They gain a +2 bonus on this check for each target extorted beyond the first. If they already had the benefits of the ghost council essence, they can instead increase the bonuses to +4.
Note: Extort is the Orzhov’s ability to deal a small amount of damage to enemies (and possibly allies) present when they cast an abjuration or necromantic effect and gain temporary hit points equal to the damage dealt.

Boros Charm – A bronze medal inscribed with the word “Fortitude” inscribed below the guild mark.

Slot: Throat. Moderate transmutation (DC: 10), CL: 8

Special: The Boros Charm’s increases its caster level +1 (to a maximum of 15) and it’s DC by +2 (to a maximum of 24) for each other Boros Charm within 100ft of it.

Activation: Verbal (Yell “Onwards to Victory”), swift action, 1/day.

Effect: Pick 1 –
1. Close range, ranged touch attack (bonus = charm’s CL), 1d6 damage / caster level.
2. You and all allies within 20ft gain DR: X/-, where X is ˝ the caster level of the charm for 1 round.
3. Target creature in close ranged gains haste for 1 round. If the charm’s caster level is 12 or higher the creature also gains +4 strength for 1 round, and if the charm’s caster level is 15 the target creature may reroll one missed attack before the end of its next turn.

Battalion: Whenever a member of the Boros Legion who has attained the rank of Captain or higher who activates the charm whilst adjacent to 2 allies may choose two effects instead of one.

Razanir
2013-03-30, 10:01 AM
I'd give them charges if not unlimited uses. The only things that really have an excuse to be single use are things consumed in the process of using them, such as a potion or a necklace of fireball

Boci
2013-03-30, 10:14 AM
You may be right. What about now?

Razanir
2013-03-31, 11:06 AM
Rakdos Charm – A spiked metal amulet of dented iron in the shape of a demonic head.

Slot: Throat. Moderate evocation (DC: 20), CL: 10.

Special: As a full round action, the Rakdos charm can be melded with a weapon becoming a glowing seal in the shape of the Rakdos guild mark, thus becoming a slotless item. When melded, it can only be activated in the round in which the weapon deals damage. Once melded the charm cannot be separated from the weapon until 24 hours have passed.

Activation: Verbal (Yell “RAKDOS!”), swift action, 1/day.

Effect: Pick one -
1. Target creature within 10ft subtracts 4 from their CL and 2 from their DC of all necromantic spells and SLA they cast for 5 rounds. No attack roll, no save.
2. Target a single magical item with in 30ft with dispel magic, suppress for 5 rounds on success.
3. Target creature within 60ft takes 2d6 fire damage for each ally within 15ft. Reflex save (DC: 20) halves the damage.

Unleash: A member of the Cult of Rakdos who has at least 3 victory scars and has melded the charm to his weapon may choose to provoke an attack of opportunity when activating this magical item. If they do, they take a -4 penalty to AC and deal an extra 10 points of damage with melee attacks until the end of their next turn.

Comment that applies to all the items: You need prices and spells required to make.

Comments specific to this:

1) Make it slotless. If it really merges with the weapon, then the fact that it could possibly be used as a necklace should just be fluff. Body slots are reserved for items that must be worn to have an effect.

2) I would think it should be an immediate action, not a swift action. If I remember action economy correctly, only with an immediate action can you activate it on an AoO.

3) Does merging it with your weapon provoke an AoO?

4) Looking more closely at the item, this one at least SHOULD be single-use. You can fluff it as "Buy a charm, merge it with your weapon, and get an effect for a day" (Ya know? I actually really like that idea– One-use charms you merge with your weapon)

5) If we go with plan "Make it single-use," I'd completely revamp the effect. I'd have it grant the weapon the flaming burst ability, and let the wielder cast rage 1/hour as a SLA. (CL = to the item)

PEACH'd version:

As a full round action, the Rakdos charm can be melded with a weapon becoming a glowing seal in the shape of the Rakdos guild mark for 24 hours. After the time is up, the weapon returns to normal and the charm is destroyed. When melded, the weapon gains the flaming burst ability. (+1d6 fire damage, +2d6 fire damage on a critical hit) In addition, the wielder may cast rage on himself 1/hour as a spell-like ability.

Special: A member of the Cult of Rakdos may cast rage as often as he likes, bounded only by if the last casting is still in effect.

Moderate evocation; CL 8th; rage and flame blade, flame strike, or fireball; Price 4250 gp

Pricing explanation
flaming burst: 8000 (+2 bonus) / 2 (limited use) = 4000
rage: 3rd level × CL 8 × 50 / 5 (24 charges per day) = 240
total: 4000 + 240 * .75 = 4180, but I dislike weird prices, so I rounded up to 4250. x2 for being slotless abrogated due to the 1 day time limit

Boci
2013-03-31, 02:42 PM
Comment that applies to all the items: You need prices and spells required to make.

I know, but I'm bad at that. As for spells required to make them, I'm probably going to cope out and go with "only Parun (highest ranking member) of the guilds can make guild charms".

1) Make it slotless. If it really merges with the weapon, then the fact that it could possibly be used as a necklace should just be fluff. Body slots are reserved for items that must be worn to have an effect.

Not really. A TWF may wish to use the throat version, especially if he doesn't have an amulet of constitution yet, and certain casters are likely not going to be able to use the slotless version.

2) I would think it should be an immediate action, not a swift action. If I remember action economy correctly, only with an immediate action can you activate it on an AoO.

That's true, but it will mess the flow of things up, since using an immediate action on your turn disbars you from using a swift action on your next turn, which I feel creates wierd affects. Basically I'd prefer not to make the activation of something an immediate action if it can function as a swift action.

3) Does merging it with your weapon provoke an AoO?

No, I'll add that.

4) Looking more closely at the item, this one at least SHOULD be single-use. You can fluff it as "Buy a charm, merge it with your weapon, and get an effect for a day" (Ya know? I actually really like that idea– One-use charms you merge with your weapon)

I'd rather keep them all as the same time, and note down the alternate concept of a charm for something more independant fluff-wise. Feel free to post your version in its own thread to see what people think of the idea. Personally I think its rather good, certainly more mechanically elegant than what I came up with, and even if 4k is judged to be too much for a 1 shot item for the PC to buy for themselves, it should make an interesting treasure drop.

Razanir
2013-03-31, 02:56 PM
I know, but I'm bad at that. As for spells required to make them, I'm probably going to cope out and go with "only Parun (highest ranking member) of the guilds can make guild charms".

Fair enough. But you still need prices for if you want to buy one

Not really. A TWF may wish to use the throat version, especially if he doesn't have an amulet of constitution yet, and certain casters are likely not going to be able to use the slotless version.

It seems weird, though, to have an item like that.

That's true, but it will mess the flow of things up, since using an immediate action on your turn disbars you from using a swift action on your next turn, which I feel creates wierd affects. Basically I'd prefer not to make the activation of something an immediate action if it can function as a swift action.

Huh. See what I mean? I don't know too much about the action economy. I really should look into that. (I'm bad at what combos of actions are allowed because my group is a walk up to the enemy and hit it type of group)

I'd rather keep them all as the same time, and note down the alternate concept of a charm for something more independent fluff-wise.

My honest PEACH-y opinion on this– You're trying too hard to convert the cards themselves. So many things in M:tG don't have a good equivalent in D&D. One example being exiling a graveyard. Instead, I honestly would focus on converting the items. If that means the effects barely resemble the card effect, so be it. And if it means some are more powerful or are more expensive than others, so be it.

Boci
2013-04-01, 08:43 AM
My honest PEACH-y opinion on this– You're trying too hard to convert the cards themselves. So many things in M:tG don't have a good equivalent in D&D. One example being exiling a graveyard. Instead, I honestly would focus on converting the items. If that means the effects barely resemble the card effect, so be it. And if it means some are more powerful or are more expensive than others, so be it.

I see where your coming from, but that's not what I'm going for with the charms. I want to see what result I can produce whilst being restrained by attemting to follow the cards. I've completed a couple of key runes in which I'm taking more of an aproach you outlined above. I can show you them if you want.

sirpercival
2013-04-01, 12:29 PM
You may find this interesting (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=87.0)

Boci
2013-04-02, 04:35 PM
Thank you, I do, its just a shame there haven't been any post there for over a year.