75 gp
1d6
2d4
x3
20 ft.
9 lb.
Piercing

Kites
The kites described below have several properties in common. All of the two-handed and ranged kites have several strings attached--one to each of the kite's corners. The wielder holds onto these strings to force the weapon around while the air around it helps to hold it aloft. These kites are reach weapons that, like the spiked chain, can be used against an adjacent foe. The miniature versions of these kites are not reach weapons, but allow a proficient wielder to trip and disarm opponents with them at a +2 bonus.

Blade Kite
A blade kite is a kite using sharp blades to cut into foes. After a successful hit with a blade kite, the wielder can move 5 feet. This can only be done once per round, but does not count against movement nor against the wielder's 5-foot step for that round.

Blade Launcher Kite
A blade launcher kite functions like a blade kite, except that small launching mechanisms are attached to each corner of the kite and in between each corner. By manipulating the strings in a unique manner, these mechanisms can be triggered, firing a blade at an enemy. These fired blades can always be recovered if the wielder can get to the place the blades were fired. Launched blades are separate from attached blades, and so the weapon can still be used as a blade kite even after all eight blades are launched. Replacing a blade that was not recovered costs 2 gp.

Hammer Kite
A hammer kite is a kite using heavy mallets to smash into foes. After a successful hit with a hammer kite, the wielder can attempt to bull rush an enemy as a free action at a +2 bonus. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity and the wielder need not move into the enemy's space. An enemy may only be moved 10 feet in this manner per round.

Hammer Launcher Kite
A hammer launcher kite functions like a hammer kite, except that small launching mechanisms are attached to each corner of the kite and in between each corner like the blade launcher kite. Fired hammers can always be recovered if the wielder can get to the place the hammers were fired. Launched hammers are separate from attached hammers, and so the weapon can still be used as a hammer kite even after all eight hammers are launched. Replacing a hammer that was not recovered costs 2 gp.

Lance Kite
A lance kite is a kite using lance-like weapons to impale foes. After a successful hit with a lance kite, the wielder can attempt to overrun the hit enemy as a free action at a +2 bonus. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity and this overrun attempt does not count against movement nor against the wielder's 5-foot step for that round.

Lance Launcher Kite
A lance launcher kite functions like a lance kite, except that small launching mechanisms are attached to each corner of the kite and in between each corner like the blade launcher kite. Fired lances can always be recovered if the wielder can get to the place the lances were fired. Launched lances are separate from attached lances, and so the weapon can still be used as a lance kite even after all eight lances are launched. Replacing a lance that was not recovered costs 2 gp.

Miniature Blade Kite
A miniature blade kite functions like a blade kite, except that it's miniaturized. This grants a +2 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks to conceal the weapon on the wielder's body.

Miniature Hammer Kite
A miniature hammer kite functions like a hammer kite, except that it's miniaturized. This grants a +2 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks to conceal the weapon on the wielder's body.

Miniature Lance Kite
A miniature lance kite functions like a lance kite, except that it's miniaturized. This grants a +2 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks to conceal the weapon on the wielder's body.

bobthe6th
2013-04-01, 10:44 AM
ok, first of all, why? Second, the hammer kite is silly. A kite relies on a certain amount of momentum, and needs to keep that to stay aloft. Hitting someone stops the kite fully... at which point it drops to the ground. Same for lance kites. Blade kites could make really rapid passes or something.

Also, kites need wind. Without wind, they are nonfunctional. When you start strapping steel blades to them, you need a LOT of wind or a bigger kite.

edit: this is why actual "battle kites" use glass coated string and merely try to cut other kites strings.

Debihuman
2013-04-02, 05:50 AM
How do you manage a two-handed weapon while holding the kite? It's not like you can grow extra arms and hands.

Debby

Temotei
2013-04-02, 06:16 AM
ok, first of all, why?

Uh, why not? My girlfriend thought it was a cool idea and posed it to me, so I made it.

Second, the hammer kite is silly. A kite relies on a certain amount of momentum, and needs to keep that to stay aloft. Hitting someone stops the kite fully... at which point it drops to the ground. Same for lance kites. Blade kites could make really rapid passes or something.

The idea is that with hammer kites, you keep momentum by pushing the enemy back. It's a silly idea, but one I thought was fun. With lance kites, you overrun to keep momentum.

Also, kites need wind. Without wind, they are nonfunctional. When you start strapping steel blades to them, you need a LOT of wind or a bigger kite.

During combat, you'll be moving constantly (even when you're not technically moving, you're moving in D&D in combat). Your graceful movements keep air beneath the kite and keep it up.

How do you manage a two-handed weapon while holding the kite? It's not like you can grow extra arms and hands.

Debby

You either hold more than one string with each hand or just move your hands around to hold different ones at different times. It's not an easy task, and why each kite is an exotic weapon.

Ashtagon
2013-04-02, 06:21 AM
During combat, you'll be moving constantly (even when you're not technically moving, you're moving in D&D in combat). Your graceful movements keep air beneath the kite and keep it up.

Moving back and forth isn't movement that actually helps fill the kite's sails with wind, not matter how graceful you are.

The Hamamatsu Kite Festival is the only real example I know of in which kite fights take place, and even there they are used to attack the other kite's strings, not a person.

I shall be conducting a service dedicated to the memory of the poor innocent catgirls later today.

bobthe6th
2013-04-02, 08:35 AM
I mean, if you just said "magic" I would be ok with it... so going on with the assumption that the answer to the physics questions is "magic."

These seem interesting. Almost on par with a spiked chain. The launcher kites are funky... why would you use any other weapon when they are useable. can you full attack with them?

Temotei
2013-04-02, 01:53 PM
Moving back and forth isn't movement that actually helps fill the kite's sails with wind, not matter how graceful you are.

The Hamamatsu Kite Festival is the only real example I know of in which kite fights take place, and even there they are used to attack the other kite's strings, not a person.

I shall be conducting a service dedicated to the memory of the poor innocent catgirls later today.

You'd be moving your arms to create movement for the kite, too, but yeah. It's not supposed to make perfect sense, because D&D.

Thank you for the service. It should be lovely.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/Temotei221/RestinPeace-1.png

I mean, if you just said "magic" I would be ok with it... so going on with the assumption that the answer to the physics questions is "magic."

Fair enough, though, again, it's not supposed to fit reality perfectly.

These seem interesting. Almost on par with a spiked chain. The launcher kites are funky... why would you use any other weapon when they are useable. can you full attack with them?

You can, though the launched weapons are limited in number.