PDA

View Full Version : Is the game canon?

Zink
2006-11-18, 12:20 PM
That is, is the (serious) information found on various cards in the same canon as the comic?

Specifically, are the ages listed on the character cards canon? I have recently received No Cure for the Paladin Blues, and while the ages on Haley's, Elan's and Roy's cards matches their ages in the summary-description in the book, the ages of Belkar, V and Durkon do not: They are listed as 32, 103 and 54 on the cards, but as ??, 130? and 39 in the book. While V's and Belkar's ages are not strictly contradicted, Durkon's age is. I assume that the book should be considered canon and the game not, although 54 sounds more likely an age for Durkon.

A little clarification would be nice. :smallsmile:

The Giant
2006-11-25, 10:39 AM
No, the game isn't "canon" in that respect. I wrote the game several months before I prepared Paladin Blues, and changed my mind on a few things in-between. In particular, Durkon seemed to be too old at 54, after I consulted the age charts in the PHB. He was supposed to be young (like 1st level) when he was kicked out of dwarven lands in On the Origin of PCs, so I changed it for the book.

Zink
2006-11-25, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the reply! But, isn't 39 somewhat too young then? If I'm reading the charts correctly, the lowest age (listed) for a first level dwarven cleric is 47, and the average is 64. Or is it 39 in "dwarf years"?

The Giant
2006-12-06, 07:39 AM
Well, obviously I didn't actually read the charts so much as remember them, poorly as it would turn out. Either that, or I must have had some reason for making him that young that I just can't remember now.

What you have to remember is that the bonus material in Paladin Blues was completed with very, VERY little sleep on my part in order to meet the deadline, and I may have made a few poor choices in there.